PDA

View Full Version : NBA Skill Doppelgangers

bloomis1307
08-19-2013, 12:13 PM
Thought this would be a fun thread to talk about some of the older players and compare their game to newer players. Doesn't have to be their whole game but even one particular aspect.

You obviously have Kobe who modeled his game after Jordan so its easy to see the comparisons
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v27Hk5OIe-k

When I see Dirk's high arcing off balance shot it reminds me somewhat of the crazy off balanced shots that Larry Bird used to take. Not a great comparison but somewhat similar in my eyes

Anyways, Who / what else do you got?

Chronz
08-19-2013, 01:19 PM
Star players all so unique because they blend a rare combination of skills and talent, some of which were unseen before them so they laid down the groundwork from that point forward. Players say they grew up watching so and so, and you can see alil of that in them, like how both Penny and C-Webb say they grew up watching Magic play and you can see that same flair for passing. Of course C-Webb being a PF and Penny more of a combo guard albeit a tall PG should draw inspiration to Magic, but its not a direct relationship either. Its funny how a player like Penny, who grew up watching Magic inspires a young Tmac who then inspires a young Durant. So we went from Magic to Durant in 4 generations....

I know thats not the thread topic but its a thought that came to me.

As for what players are actually comparable, I would say the "undersized" big guys who love the elbow jumpers are the most repeated models for relative greatness. Guys like Pettit, Cowens, Reed, Hayes, McAdoo, till this generations Brand, Boozer etc... you know guys who aren't at the top of the athletic chain but skilled enough to offset some of that.....

It would help if you threw some names out there.

smith&wesson
08-19-2013, 01:22 PM
terrence ross = mo pete :laugh2:

PurpleLynch
08-19-2013, 01:26 PM
George Gervin-Carmelo Anthony:I did this comparison,but it's obvious they're different,I just focused on their pure scorer role.
Very difficult thread.but funny indeed.

ZHawk1123
08-19-2013, 01:38 PM
Shawn Kemp/Blake Griffin

Pete Maravich/Ricky Rubio

Reggie Miller/Richard Hamilton (Ability to always be moving and using screens)

NYKnickFanatic
08-19-2013, 01:55 PM
Kobe and Jordan Part II

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5tagtU4AV8&feature=youtu.be

bloomis1307
08-19-2013, 02:11 PM
It would help if you threw some names out there.

Modern day players are definitely a composite of previous generations stars, picking out this move or that that reminds you of some previous player was the whole point. I agree with a lot of what you said but i'm not looking for any particular player just trying to leave it more open for discussion. What one person's skill or entire skillset reminds them of from another persons is completely subjective.

koreancabbage
08-19-2013, 02:28 PM
terrence ross = mo pete :laugh2:

I would almost agree but Ross is a much better dunker and way more athletic than Mo Pete.

ManningToTyree
08-19-2013, 02:32 PM
George Gervin-Carmelo Anthony:I did this comparison,but it's obvious they're different,I just focused on their pure scorer role.
Very difficult thread.but funny indeed. not a bad comparison at all. he is compared quite frequently to Bernard king around NY. However,That might have something to do with King being a knick as well

C_Mund
08-19-2013, 02:48 PM
I can see a bit of Bill Walton's game in Timmy D.... Duncan's not quite the passer Walton was but both well-rounded big men that could have been called a pf or a C at any given time in their careers

Minimal
08-19-2013, 02:52 PM
Marc Gasol and Arvydas Sabonis. The only difference probably is that Sabonis could shoot the 3.

diu9leilomo
08-19-2013, 03:53 PM
its just kobe and jordan, no one else came this close...

in future maybe Lebron and wiggins

Sly Guy
08-19-2013, 04:54 PM
its just kobe and jordan, no one else came this close...

in future maybe Lebron and wiggins

I think wiggins/KD would be a better comparison.

jerellh528
08-19-2013, 05:12 PM
I've always felt Lebron and wade have similar skill sets.

Minimal
08-19-2013, 05:20 PM
I've always felt Lebron and wade have similar skill sets.
They are really different as players. Wade is more crafty with his moves, LeBron is more straight forward. They have similar stats and thats pretty much it.

5ass
08-19-2013, 05:21 PM
Chris Kaman and Wilt Chamberlain.

Trueblue2
08-19-2013, 05:26 PM
Lebron and big O
Dwight and mutumbo

bloomis1307
08-19-2013, 05:27 PM
I think a better comparison for Lebron would be Dr. J

Skill set maybe not so much but in terms of their athleticism in their respective eras

jerellh528
08-19-2013, 05:30 PM
They are really different as players. Wade is more crafty with his moves, LeBron is more straight forward. They have similar stats and thats pretty much it.

But they both execute the flop to a T. Lol I kid, I kid. In all seriousness, they have a pretty similar skill set IMO. I know they're different players.

KG21
08-19-2013, 06:51 PM
Shawn Kemp/Blake Griffin

Kemp and Griffin...please explain in what way?

Chronz
08-19-2013, 07:18 PM
Shawn Kemp/Blake Griffin

*Did you really just choose Rubio and Pistol, is it because of their hair?
Thats a pretty awful list.

BHF
08-19-2013, 08:44 PM
Lebron and big O
Dwight and mutumbo

have you ever seen Mutombo play?