PDA

View Full Version : WEEI/Speier: Bogaerts being called up today (8/19)

RaginRondo17
08-19-2013, 08:45 AM
He's on his way boys.

WEEI (http://fullcount.weei.com/sports/boston/baseball/red-sox/2013/08/19/source-red-sox-call-up-xander-bogaerts-amidst-flurry-of-roster-moves/)

Soxfan85
08-19-2013, 09:20 AM
According to WEEI's Alex Speier, the Red Sox will call up top prospect Xander Bogaerts on Monday.
Bogaerts will presumably see regular playing time between shortstop and third base down the stretch for Boston. He was batting .299/.389/.481 with 15 homers, seven steals and 67 RBI in 115 games this season between Double-A Portland and Triple-A Pawtucket. The 20-year-old is a must-own in all standard mixed fantasy leagues.

https://twitter.com/alexspeier

Melo15
08-19-2013, 09:46 AM
:jumpy:

TragicallyHip
08-19-2013, 09:48 AM
Boo ya!

Redsox07Champs
08-19-2013, 09:59 AM
<33333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333 3333333333

RedSoxtober
08-19-2013, 10:11 AM
The Red Sox, according to an industry source, will call up Xander Bogaerts from Triple-A Pawtucket on Monday. The shortstop will become the first 20-year-old to make his big league debut with the Red Sox since right-hander Jeff Suppan got his summons in 1995, and the first Red Sox position player age 20 or younger to arrive in the big leagues since outfielder Dwight Evans made his big league debut as a 20-year-old in 1972.

In 60 games with Triple-A Pawtucket, Bogaerts was hitting .284 with a .369 OBP, .453 slugging percentage and nine homers. He's spent most of his time at his natural position of shortstop, but he's also seen action in nine games at third base. On a team that has struggled against lefties, Bogaerts offers the possibility of a notable boost, given that he was hitting .298 with a .452 OBP, .474 slugging mark, 16 walks and just seven strikeouts in 73 plate appearances against southpaws.

As recently as Saturday, multiple team sources said that there had not been a decision to call up the highly regarded prospect, a consensus top-five prospect in the game. Indeed, the organization had been engaged in a lively debate not just about the question of when to call up Bogaerts, but whether to do so at all in 2013.

The conversation was similar to the one that prevailed with outfielder Jackie Bradley Jr. at the start of the year. Given the possibility of transitional challenges in introducing Bogaerts to the big leagues, something that would measure expectations for productivity, the idea was explored that the team might be best served going forward this year with its current roster composition. Moreover, given that Bogaerts has little experience at third and none at second, there was some thought that he could benefit from more of a defensive apprenticeship in the minors.

There were also, as with Bradley, long-term implications for keeping the 20-year-old in the minors. If Bogaerts was kept down for the rest of the year, of course, it would make it feasible to gain an extra year of service time from him before he reaches free agency. If Bogaerts is never sent down, then in theory, he'd be a free agent after the 2019 season -- at a time when he will have finished his age 26 season, with the entirety of his the age band that typically designates a player's prime in front of him.

If the Sox did not add Bogaerts to the big league roster this year and then sent him to the minors for at least 20 days next year (he'd have to be added to the 40-man roster this winter to prevent him from getting taken in the Rule 5 draft), the team would guarantee control over his services through at least his age 27 season.

However, given the fact that the Sox have experienced a recent downturn, the feeling was that the club could benefit from an injection of life right now. Bogaerts represents that, in a way that no other addition can at this time. The team feels like his addition to the roster will put it in the best position to finish strong down the stretch, with an eye towards winning the AL East and making a postseason run. weei.com

Green_Monster
08-19-2013, 11:10 AM
I'm so pumped right now!

Nomar
08-19-2013, 11:20 AM
Boom roasted

MiamiBoy77
08-19-2013, 11:27 AM
Lets go!!!! I wake up to see this and almost did a Papi smash!!

Nomar
08-19-2013, 11:29 AM
I heard Ross up, Holt and Lavarnway optioned to AAA, and Bailey, Buchholz moved to 60 Day DL.

That Buchholz move buys us some time to make a decision on who to cut from the 40 man assuming he is coming back.

-Lavigne43-
08-19-2013, 12:03 PM
So what's the deal? Is he going to start vs LHP at SS, split time with both Drew and WMB vs RHP? We don't face any LHP vs the Giants, knowing our luck we will probably face Kershaw.

bagwell368
08-19-2013, 12:13 PM
So what's the deal? Is he going to start vs LHP at SS, split time with both Drew and WMB vs RHP? We don't face any LHP vs the Giants, knowing our luck we will probably face Kershaw.

I don't know anything about plans, but I'd sit Drew tonight. Iit's Lincecum, and even though he isn't your fathers Lincecum, Drew is .214/.267/.452 in 46 PA career vs him - so not that great. So IMO, it should be XB starting tonight and playing SS. Don't let the kid worry or think, give him a job to do.

Sweet_Caroline
08-19-2013, 12:22 PM
<3

mooz
08-19-2013, 12:49 PM
I don't know anything about plans, but I'd sit Drew tonight. Iit's Lincecum, and even though he isn't your fathers Lincecum, Drew is .214/.267/.452 in 46 PA career vs him - so not that great. So IMO, it should be XB starting tonight and playing SS. Don't let the kid worry or think, give him a job to do.

Couldn't agree more. Let the kid step right in, in rhythm and see if he can succeed. If he succeeds, we have the convenient problem of finding him playing time.

RedSoxtober
08-19-2013, 01:26 PM

That's what I've been wondering as well. WMB hasn't exactly let anyone down since his recall and it'd be awkward to sit him and while I get Bags' idea, that's a one-night solution. Doesn't make sense to take the kid across the country for that short a span and no injury to replace. I wonder if we do some creative mix-and-match with WMB moving to 1B while Napoli sits. Weird situation brewing.

If the rotations are not shuffled (no days off for LAD):
Fri: Lackey vs Nolasco
Sat: Dempster vs Ryu
Sun: Lester vs Capuano

Greinke (Wed) and Kershaw (Thu) are already announced vs MIA. That's not to say they couldn't flip-flop Nolasco and Kershaw but I doubt it.

-Lavigne43-
08-19-2013, 01:40 PM
That's lucky if we get their backend. I thought perhaps Napoli would be headed to the DL, but if that was a likely scenario I think they would have waited on sending down Holt. Carp deserves the playing time at 1b. Has Drew ever played 2b in his life? If not we have no one with experience to back up Pedroia.

I just find the timing of this move a little odd. A lot of WMB's production was fluky, but last night he looked terrific, really driving the ball the other way again. Drew was just super hot before struggling a bit this last week. He can't hit LHP, but you don't call Xander up this early to be a bench player who only hits vs lefties.

mr.awesome
08-19-2013, 01:41 PM
Cafardo reported yesterday that WMB was practicing at 1st, so I wouldn't be shocked to see Will at 1st in the near future.

mooz
08-19-2013, 01:46 PM
Cafardo reported yesterday that WMB was practicing at 1st, so I wouldn't be shocked to see Will at 1st in the near future.

I saw this as well. There is a lot more benefit for now and in the future to seeing if WMB at 1B and XB at 3B can work. And as impressed as I've been by Carp this year, he's not an important piece for now or in the future. He should only get everyday playing time if absolutely necessary.

-Lavigne43-
08-19-2013, 01:59 PM
Carp should get playing time because he's been terrific offensively and helps us win games. I don't see any benefit long term to WMB being able to play 1b, other than when the team is in a desperate situation. He has no future at 1b, he will never be a productive player there. Never understood the obsession some people have with X at 3b and WMB at 1b. I've said it before, if X has to play 3b you trade WMB. You get more value in a trade than what you get at 1b.

Getting him reps at 1b is all a short term move with Napoli injured and struggling.

AI
08-19-2013, 02:05 PM
Jizzed everywhere as soon as I saw this. Hope he actually plays everyday, would suck to see him get called up and sit half the time.

mr.awesome
08-19-2013, 03:10 PM
Xander needs to play everyday if they want him to give the team a spark, with that being said, it's going to be interesting to see how they handle the playing time of Wmb/drew/Xander.

AI
08-19-2013, 03:19 PM
Xander needs to play everyday if they want him to give the team a spark, with that being said, it's going to be interesting to see how they handle the playing time of Wmb/drew/Xander.

My best guess is that Xander will indeed play everyday between SS/3B, Drew will play 4x a week (seems to have hit a wall after his recent hot stretch) and sit against some lefties and WMB will also get good playing time shifting between the corners 1B/3B until Napoli returns.

Redsox07Champs
08-19-2013, 03:26 PM
this is a tad out there, but i find it to be more reasonable than playing wmb at 1B. lets say naps goes on the dl. you could put ortiz at 1B, middlebrooks at dh and xb at 3b for some games.

Crucis
08-19-2013, 03:35 PM
Carp should get playing time because he's been terrific offensively and helps us win games. I don't see any benefit long term to WMB being able to play 1b, other than when the team is in a desperate situation. He has no future at 1b, he will never be a productive player there. Never understood the obsession some people have with X at 3b and WMB at 1b. I've said it before, if X has to play 3b you trade WMB. You get more value in a trade than what you get at 1b.

Getting him reps at 1b is all a short term move with Napoli injured and struggling.

I mostly agree with you, Lav. Mostly. Assuming that Ortiz plays 4 out of these 6 games on the west coast IL road trip, I'd probably start Carp against a RH starter and WMB against a LH starter, IF Farrell thinks that WMB's up to playing 1B sufficiently well.

EDIT: Oh, in regard to the "obsession" of having WMB at 1B for some, I think that it's because some people have been seduced by WMB's power and aren't seeing the big picture of his offensive deficiencies, or are hoping that he'll correct them. I don't hold out a lot of hope that WMB will fix his general impatience and low OBP, mostly because it seems to me that that's something that is rarely "corrected". It's just who you are as a player and probably always will be. Better to let someone else hope to fix it, if you have the option to move on to someone better.

AI
08-19-2013, 03:38 PM
this is a tad out there, but i find it to be more reasonable than playing wmb at 1B. lets say naps goes on the dl. you could put ortiz at 1B, middlebrooks at dh and xb at 3b for some games.

6 game road trip vs NL teams, no DH. Also, WMB/Carp/Nava would certainly play 1B over Ortiz. Can't risk him having that heal injury flare up again, thus losing our ony middle of the order hitter for an extended period of time.

AI
08-19-2013, 03:39 PM
I mostly agree with you, Lav. Mostly. Assuming that Ortiz plays 4 out of these 6 games on the west coast IL road trip, I'd probably start Carp against a RH starter and WMB against a LH starter, IF Farrell thinks that WMB's up to playing 1B sufficiently well.

Will can't be any worse than Nava at 1B.

Crucis
08-19-2013, 03:42 PM

First, Ortiz is already supposedly going to play 4/6 of the west coast road trip games.

Secondly, I'd rather arrange the lineup based on the starting pitcher. And if right now, Drew's scuffling against LHP, then XB should probably be at SS and WMB at 3B for those games. But against RHP, I could see Drew at SS, XB at 3B, (and perhaps Carp at 1B, if Ortiz isn't playing or is at DH).

-Lavigne43-
08-19-2013, 03:47 PM
For all the Nava hate

‏@EvanDrellich 21m
Daniel Nava's line from Aug. 5 on: .409/.480/.591 in 9 games. Better than anyone on the Red Sox but Will Middlebrooks

Crucis
Will can't be any worse than Nava at 1B.

Probably true, AI. But also, I'd say this, if you have Carp at 1B against RHP, then wouldn't it be better to have a RHH (WMB) against the LHP rather than Nava whose weaker side is RHH? ... Particularly if WMB is producing at the time in question.

Honestly though, this is why I always carp (pardon the pun) on having players learn multiple positions in the minors. IMHO, WMB should have already learned to play 1B before he ever hit AA. A natural 3B-man shouldn't be learning 1B at the major league level.

Nomar
Secondly, I'd rather arrange the lineup based on the starting pitcher. And if right now, Drew's scuffling against LHP, then XB should probably be at SS and WMB at 3B for those games. But against RHP, I could see Drew at SS, XB at 3B, (and perhaps Carp at 1B, if Ortiz isn't playing or is at DH).

Agreed. Looking past the road trip though it will be interesting how SS/3B play out. Obviously you can't sit WMB against righties every time. There's a chance that Drew might lose more time than anyone, especially if WMB keeps hitting for power and Bogaerts gets off to a good start. Drew is an above average SS though so it's a tough call but overall a good problem to have depth wise.

bagwell368
08-19-2013, 03:49 PM
6 game road trip vs NL teams, no DH. Also, WMB/Carp/Nava would certainly play 1B over Ortiz. Can't risk him having that heal injury flare up again, thus losing our ony middle of the order hitter for an extended period of time.

So Ortiz is ogoing to be a PH on the trip? Ummm, no.

XB will not start everyday unless there is a direct injury to Drew or WMB. I figure him for 65% of the games +/- 10%.

Crucis
08-19-2013, 03:49 PM
For all the Nava hate

‏@EvanDrellich 21m
Daniel Nava's line from Aug. 5 on: .409/.480/.591 in 9 games. Better than anyone on the Red Sox but Will Middlebrooks

He's on a post-baby birth high! Plus, his wife is out in CA, not staying in Mass, so he's been getting his sleep. (I expect that Nava will take this week's off day and visit his wife and newborn.)

Crucis
08-19-2013, 03:51 PM
6 game road trip vs NL teams, no DH. Also, WMB/Carp/Nava would certainly play 1B over Ortiz. Can't risk him having that heal injury flare up again, thus losing our only middle of the order hitter for an extended period of time.

AI, IIRC, they've already said that Ortiz will play 4/6 of the games at 1B.

Crucis
08-19-2013, 03:58 PM
Agreed. Looking past the road trip though it will be interesting how SS/3B play out. Obviously you can't sit WMB against righties every time. There's a chance that Drew might lose more time than anyone, especially if WMB keeps hitting for power and Bogaerts gets off to a good start. Drew is an above average SS though so it's a tough call but overall a good problem to have depth wise.

Agreed. It is a tough call. I think that matchups will be an important factor. And probably how well each player is doing at the moment. But a problem is that both XB and WMB are righties. And (post road trip) if Napoli isn't playing and a righty is starting, would you rather have a lefty Carp or a righty WMB at 1B? I'd probably rather have Carp at 1B.

The problem will get particularly tough if Bogaerts is hitting really well and hitting plenty of XBH's. Do you sit a hot Xander or a semi-hot WMB against RHP? Or does Farrell decide to put WMB at 1B, even against a RHP, to keep Drew, XB, and WMB in the lineup all at once?

In truth, I mostly expect that things will work themselves out, and someone will make the decision easier by either being SUPER hot or not so hot.

AI
08-19-2013, 04:00 PM
AI, IIRC, they've already said that Ortiz will play 4/6 of the games at 1B.

So Ortiz is ogoing to be a PH on the trip? Ummm, no.

XB will not start everyday unless there is a direct injury to Drew or WMB. I figure him for 65% of the games +/- 10%.

You both took my post out of context. I know Ortiz will play 1B some during this west coast trip. I was responding to whoever suggested that Ortiz play 1B and play WMB at DH going forward. When we return to AL games, Ortiz will 100% be the DH and all 3 of Nava, Carp and Middlebrooks would play 1B instead of Papi.

RaginRondo17
08-19-2013, 04:03 PM
Where does he hit in the lineup?

Rivera
08-19-2013, 04:06 PM
Yes! Finally! Amped

-Lavigne43-
08-19-2013, 04:10 PM
Where does he hit in the lineup?

Probably 9th or 8th to start off

mooz
08-19-2013, 04:12 PM

Just to explain a little further what I was getting at. I have no interest in WMB playing at 1B long term. My reasoning for saying WMB at 1B and XB at 3B (this year) having more benefit for the future is because it gets XB full-time at bats right away (between 3B and SS when he spells Drew) which prepares him further for when he likely moves back to SS for next year. WMB would still get full-time at bats as well (between 3B and 1B) which will help us better determine if he is our 3B of the future of if he will better serve us as a trade chip. I have 0 interest in WMB playing 1B beyond this year barring him suddenly out of nowhere becoming a 30 HR player with a .370 OBP. Which we all know has about a 2% chance of happening.

Sorry I didn't explain my point in more detail previously.

Station 13
08-19-2013, 04:16 PM
How much playing time he gets is the question.

Bos_Sports4Life
08-19-2013, 06:57 PM
How much playing time he gets is the question.

Right out of the gate i'd play him atleast 60% of the time. Against all left handed pitching AND give some of the slumping guys (pedroia/nap) some rest.

bagwell368
08-19-2013, 08:29 PM
Well, he's not in the line-up tonight. A mistake given Drew's lifetime slash vs the freak.

Also I don't see XB playing any 2B - unless there is an emergency.

Crucis
08-19-2013, 08:41 PM
Well, he's not in the line-up tonight. A mistake given Drew's lifetime slash vs the freak.

Well, Bags, maybe the Sox want XB to take a day to just absorb being at the MLB level, rather than throwing him in the deep end of the pool on day 1.

bagwell368
08-19-2013, 09:08 PM
Well, Bags, maybe the Sox want XB to take a day to just absorb being at the MLB level, rather than throwing him in the deep end of the pool on day 1.

Idle hands can make for wandering thoughts and worries. Better to put him in there for the obviously tired Drew so he doesn't think, but does.

bagwell368
08-19-2013, 09:19 PM
For all the Nava hate

‏@EvanDrellich 21m

I see that, and raise Nava from:

Jun 5th - July 4th: .239/.304/.315 in 25 games
Jul 10th - Aug 5th: .222/.329/.254 in 20 games.

Bos_Sports4Life
08-19-2013, 10:56 PM

I was thinking more along the lines of Drew playing 2nd with XB at SS.

BGeer091
08-20-2013, 02:16 AM
I thought we would see Xander :( They have to play him though he needs at bats.

AI
08-20-2013, 02:40 AM

He's starting tomorrow. I think he ends up playing 3-4 games during this roadtrip.

Didn't play today, starting tomorrow. Then we'll see what happens on Wednesday but I assume Drew will most likely get the start. The LAD series is where things begin to get interesting. We'll face two lefties, Ryu and Capuano, in that series. So it could end up being this:

SF series:

Monday - WMB and Drew play, Xander sits
Tuesday - WMB and Xander play, Drew sits
Wednesday - Xander and Drew play, WMB sits
Friday - WMB and Drew play, Xander sits
Saturday (Ryu) - WMB and Xander play, Drew sits
Sunday (Capuano) - WMB and Xander play, Drew sits

Not included there is that all 3 play with WMB starting at 1B in a game, which is certainly possible.

RedSoxtober
08-20-2013, 09:50 AM

Per Farrell, WMB will be the backup 2B. I guess he's versatile like Youk.

Plenty of guys come in and play on day 1 so I doubt that's the reason. I'm betting on a few other factors. As I said earlier, without an injury (even non-DL injury) he doesn't have a spot to just walk into. Farrell doesn't want to lose Drew, who has been very good at times and whom Farrell will need in the post season. Likewise, WMB has been pretty productive since his recall (seeing-eye or not, they were productive). He'd need time to set up the scenario with all the players so as not to tick off anyone or break down confidence.

The Globe's report also mentioned that there were a wide array of opinions about Bogaerts getting into MLB -- with some suggesting it might be better to wait until next year. It's quite possible that Farrell is in a camp on the go-slow end. He's not fighting BC, but working with him in his own way.

I see that, and raise Nava from:

Jun 5th - July 4th: .239/.304/.315 in 25 games
Jul 10th - Aug 5th: .222/.329/.254 in 20 games.
Interesting response. Why didn't you reply this way when the subject in question was Drew? Or Napoli?

C'mon, he's been hitting really well since... his daughter was born. You've been through that and know the excitement, uncertainty, anticipation, etc that come with the birth of not just any child but your first. I imagine that it'd be amplified if you were constantly 3,000 miles away from your wife at the time. Even if you dismiss the human element, his resurgence has fairly obvious correlation to the time off.

IMO, the notion that XB needs at bats doesn't apply in this case. We're roughly 2 weeks from the end of the season in PAW. After playing 116G he's not missing enough time down there to stunt his growth as a player. It's a very different matter to call him up on June 19 and let him sit than it is on August 19. He'll have plenty of chances, especially in SEP, against weaker opponents, and vs LHP.

EEasyA
08-20-2013, 11:38 AM
Xander time. Hopefully he lives up to the hype.

Celtic AL
08-20-2013, 06:24 PM
This is going to be interesting.

bagwell368
08-20-2013, 08:49 PM
Interesting response. Why didn't you reply this way when the subject in question was Drew? Or Napoli?

I leave that to the legion of detractors both players have. You know, the scales of justice and all that..

C'mon, he's been hitting really well since... his daughter was born. You've been through that and know the excitement, uncertainty, anticipation, etc that come with the birth of not just any child but your first. I imagine that it'd be amplified if you were constantly 3,000 miles away from your wife at the time. Even if you dismiss the human element, his resurgence has fairly obvious correlation to the time off.

I never had a daughter so I wouldn't know. :catch:

RedSoxtober
08-21-2013, 08:13 AM
I leave that to the legion of detractors both players have. You know, the scales of justice and all that..
Wow, I find that kind of sad that you'd flip-flop so easily. It's the same kind of arguments that you used and opposed earlier just reversed. Oh, well.

I never had a daughter so I wouldn't know. :catch:
Except that I said "You've been through that and know the excitement, uncertainty, anticipation, etc that come with the birth of not just any child but your first." Trying to suggest that it was unique because it was a girl doesn't work. Hell, never mind. With the direction this is going the result it just going to be frustratingly stupid.

There's correlation to Nava's resurgence and the five days off he got in early August (8/3-8/7). I'm sure that those days off being for paternity leave for the birth of his first child are purely coincidence. Since that time he's hitting .433/.500/.600 with 5 doubles. He's not an all star but he's been doing this during a two week span that people in this forum were calling him a black hole in the Sox lineup. They were wrong.

bagwell368
08-21-2013, 11:17 AM
Wow, I find that kind of sad that you'd flip-flop so easily. It's the same kind of arguments that you used and opposed earlier just reversed. Oh, well.

It's only a flip flop if you look at it that way. Overall this season I fought hard for both Drew and Napoli against heavy numbers on the negative side quite a few times - as you know. Both have had their share of down periods, but Drew certainly has, and Napoli still might well exceed the salary that they are being paid. Since there is an avalanche of folks coming in (or came in) against them when things were bad, I don't see why my toggling back and forth like many of them is more honorable or honest - they seem more than able to speak for themselves. The settling of accounts on both comes at the end of the season, and I certainly plan to be part of that - win, lose, or draw.

Except that I said "You've been through that and know the excitement, uncertainty, anticipation, etc that come with the birth of not just any child but your first." Trying to suggest that it was unique because it was a girl doesn't work. Hell, never mind. With the direction this is going the result it just going to be frustratingly stupid.

My answer was more than half in jest as evidenced by my use of a smilie I never saw before that I thought typifies our back and forth. If I knew that I should still have the chain mail and pike at the ready, I wouldn't have bothered.

There's correlation to Nava's resurgence and the five days off he got in early August (8/3-8/7). I'm sure that those days off being for paternity leave for the birth of his first child are purely coincidence.

Believe it or not I wasn't even thinking of his time off, just the small sample size vs the much larger ones of earlier in the summer that were not very good at all.

Since that time he's hitting .433/.500/.600 with 5 doubles. He's not an all star but he's been doing this during a two week span that people in this forum were calling him a black hole in the Sox lineup. They were wrong.

In that time period they were wrong, but it does take a few games for people to notice a trend and loosen up on earlier slumps. However given his prior issues hitting later in the season, one could be seen to be logically concerned about this years slide down month over month from April: (289/.385/.500) 116 tOPS+

May: PA: 109 .276/.394/.425 tOPS+ 101 (baseline)
June: PA: 112 .290/.348/.410 tOPS+ 86
July: PA: 070: .270/.343/.333 tOPS+ 67

6cadi6
08-21-2013, 01:31 PM
:yawn:

bagwell368
08-21-2013, 05:17 PM
:yawn:

Just for yucks I checked back into the last few dozen posts of this "user". What a staggering lack of content and usefulness. A strong candidate if there is an award for same.

Nomar
08-22-2013, 02:22 AM
That is still a SSS, regardless of if the paternity theory makes sense. We'll see. He was bad in the second half least year, so it's not unbelievable either way. We'll see what his line looks like a season's end.

RedSoxtober
08-27-2013, 02:43 PM
Fun with baseball-reference.com's Play Index, part 2: Here is the complete list of batters in 2013 who have at least 400 plate appearances, 10 home runs, a .290 batting average, .375 OBP, and .430 slugging percentage:

Player HR BA PA OBP SLG R H 2B RBI BB
Chris Davis 46 .304 538 .387 .679 94 141 36 118 58
Miguel Cabrera 43 .359 556 .450 .688 94 170 25 130 76
P. Goldschmidt 31 .298 574 .396 .548 86 145 27 103 80
Adrian Beltre 27 .327 554 .383 .539 78 166 27 79 42
Robinson Cano 24 .305 563 .384 .506 68 150 27 85 61
David Ortiz 24 .318 469 .399 .572 61 130 28 78 57
Mike Trout 22 .330 574 .427 .571 89 159 34 80 78
Joey Votto 20 .313 590 .432 .504 86 150 26 61 101
A. McCutchen 17 .321 546 .399 .507 80 153 32 73 60
Michael Cuddyer 17 .328 444 .392 .536 64 131 26 68 41
David Wright 16 .309 465 .391 .512 60 126 23 54 52
Freddie Freeman 16 .313 503 .390 .480 69 139 22 85 51
Buster Posey 14 .307 496 .377 .479 50 134 31 65 46
Billy Butler 13 .295 533 .388 .432 50 135 24 66 70
Allen Craig 13 .317 534 .376 .465 69 152 28 95 40
Joe Mauer 11 .324 508 .404 .476 62 144 35 47 61
Daniel Nava 10 .292 430 .380 .432 62 107 21 56 42
Matt Carpenter 10 .313 576 .384 .477 99 158 43 65 55

Provided by Baseball-Reference.com: View Play Index Tool Used
Generated 8/27/2013.
Yes, I would say Daniel Nava's days as a nice placeholder until someone better comes along are long behind him.Chadd Finn @ Boston.com

todu82
08-28-2013, 09:55 AM
Been impressed with Boegaerts so far, hopefully he keeps up the performance.

AI
09-04-2013, 05:21 PM
Bogaerts came up from Triple-A almost two weeks ago, apparently because the Red Sox believed they needed someone young and talented to waste away on their bench rather than get regular at-bats. Bogaerts' performance at two levels this season was outstanding when you consider his age (20), and I believe he has an even-money chance to start next year as the team's every-day shortstop, getting on base with nascent power that will eventually develop into 30-homer territory. For now, I'd just settle for seeing him play more regularly to help him start to adjust to major league pitching.

Keith Law

Nomar
09-05-2013, 08:09 AM
He's right, it's ridiculous how he's being handled. I think Farrell is a mess with lineup decisions.

RedSoxtober
09-05-2013, 09:39 AM
I think the decisions have had to do more with how well Drew has been playing (and WMB, for that matter) than anything else. It's been very odd, though. When he was first called up he sat against a struggling Lincecum and LHP Zito but started against Vogelsong. He also sat against Ryu (LHP). It's been odd given how poorly they've hit LHP.

While it doesn't bother me [i]too[/] much that he came up and mostly sat for the last week of the MiLB season, I would rather see him playing in the MiLB playoffs than sitting.

bagwell368
09-05-2013, 12:01 PM
All 3 of those guys are playing well. XB doesn't look "crushed" "afraid" "worried" in the least since his first few games when he looked a bit head turned.

Managing isn't only about satisfying fans, or riding the hot or new hand. A good manager has to keep balance in the clubhouse and bring new guys along without having them "Bard out". I think an argument could be made that XB should have two more starts than he has. That's hardly a F, ****, that's not even a C+.

He's getting a lot of grief over leaving the SP's in too long lately as well. Well, the SP's have been very solid and the pen is hot mess except the crown jewel closer.

Honestly, I'm as critical as they come, but could we I dunno, enjoy the season a bit sometimes?

Nomar
09-05-2013, 12:11 PM
All well and good, but other than Zito, Drew could've sat vs very lefty and we'd likely be at least in the same position today.

On the bright side XB's SSS has given him a 64 UZR/150 at SS. Andrelton who?

-Lavigne43-
09-05-2013, 01:18 PM
Drew had great numbers vs Zito, Ryu had reverse splits. There were only two instances where Farrell made a bad decision. Against Chen who kills lefties (it ended up not mattering), and vs the White Sox when he split the back to back lefty games with Drew starting vs the pitcher tougher vs lefties and Xander starting vs the guy with no real split. It didn't matter much either and that's only 1 additional game that he 100% should have started. Both Drew and WMB are raking, you can't sit them unless the matchup is killer. Farrell has also succeeded in getting rid of the immense hype and pressure around him.

He's not wasting away. I'm sure hes learned and is still learning a ton to help him assimilate and get comfortable at the big league level for next year. This is a great clubhouse to learn how to be successful from, and I'm sure he's soaking it all in.

RedSoxtober
09-05-2013, 02:10 PM
He's not wasting away. I'm sure hes learned and is still learning a ton to help him assimilate and get comfortable at the big league level for next year. This is a great clubhouse to learn how to be successful from, and I'm sure he's soaking it all in.

I generally agree that it's not hurting him. I just think that playing through the playoff surge (19-4 down the stretch to take over first place) and getting into playoff action in PAW would have helped him more than sitting on the MLB bench. In fact, playing through that playoff run and now the playoff action might have better equipped him to help THIS season.

bagwell368
09-05-2013, 02:48 PM
Drew had great numbers vs Zito, Ryu had reverse splits. There were only two instances where Farrell made a bad decision.

I might say questionable.

Both Drew and WMB are raking, you can't sit them unless the matchup is killer. Farrell has also succeeded in getting rid of the immense hype and pressure around him.

x2 and x2

x2 again

bagwell368
09-05-2013, 02:55 PM
I generally agree that it's not hurting him. I just think that playing through the playoff surge (19-4 down the stretch to take over first place) and getting into playoff action in PAW would have helped him more than sitting on the MLB bench.

It's debatable. What's that old saw in employment? Someone who has 20 years of experience in a field might just have 1 year of experience 20 times over. I could imagine that XB got most of what he could get out of AAA already, and the learning curve would be slowing. In Boston, a whole new set of coaches, and a higher level of teaching/diagnosis of the details of baseball than he could get in AAA. Add to that the very positive/successful clubhouse/dugout he sits in now can't be hurting - and regardless of where he was playing this year in the future he's going to AAA only for injury rehab - because his career is here.

RedSoxtober
09-06-2013, 04:17 PM
I don't think it was a bad decision, only that positing things as either/or is wrong. He could have done both MiLB and MLB playoff runs. I think that MiLB playoffs would have helped him and quite possibly produced benefits this season -- and only delayed his present experience by a couple of weeks. Calling him up was a good decision; delaying his call-up might have been better.

PapelbonLester
09-06-2013, 05:33 PM
I understand most people want to see him in the lineup every day. Only way that happens is through injury. He's 20 years young and were giving him time to get accustomed to ML before hes thrown in the fire everyday. Its a very smart move. People graduate H.S at 19. The man is 20. I mean Kid lol. So next year when he's our starting SS he will be very comfortable with the surroundings and he'll have no excuse not to win rookie of the year :-).

Victorino
Bogaerts
Pedy
Ortiz
Middlebrooks
Carp 1st Base????
Nava
Salty
Jackie Bradley

That line-up would be just as productive. And that's saying we lose both Napoli and Ellsbury(who I say we give him the 100 mill) we could always platoon Nava and Jackie Bradley in LF and Nava and Carp at 1st. Who knows. All I know is our future is looking GREAT.

RedSoxtober
09-06-2013, 07:07 PM
I understand most people want to see him in the lineup every day. Only way that happens is through injury. He's 20 years young and were giving him time to get accustomed to ML before hes thrown in the fire everyday. Its a very smart move. People graduate H.S at 19. The man is 20. I mean Kid lol. So next year when he's our starting SS he will be very comfortable with the surroundings and he'll have no excuse not to win rookie of the year :-).

I don't think anyone is arguing for him to be in the lineup every day. The conjecture was simply that he's been used oddly and could have played every day in AAA while they battled through the playoffs.

RedSoxtober
09-10-2013, 12:26 PM
Somewhat interesting contrast piece from Joel Sherman. He uses Bogaerts as "Derek Jeter, 2.0" as a launching point to contrast the present and future directions of the Sox and Yankees.

http://nypost.com/2013/09/07/jete-ing-time-aging-derek-cant-measure-up-to-sox-young-stars/

RedSoxtober
09-11-2013, 09:15 AM
I would guess this hints that Farrell was the main voice suggesting that the Sox NOT bring up Bogaerts this season.

Farrell on Stephen Drew playing against lefty David Price instead of Xander Bogaerts: “Coming off the off day, Stephen Drew has been one of our mainstays and certainly that’s going to remain.”
Boston.com

Nomar
09-11-2013, 09:39 AM
Farrell feeds egos more than any manager. Not to say Drew's is big but still...