PDA

View Full Version : Clippers and Hornets did not want to draft Kobe....

Tony_Starks
08-18-2013, 10:53 AM
He said he worked out with the Clippers and they told him it was great workout but "we're looking to rebuild the franchise and don't think the city of LA would get behind us drafting a 17 year old kid."

He also says Charlotte told him flat out, we cant use you.

That's from the horses mouth, so much for the he forced his way to the Lakers theory.....

( got it from hoopshype )

tr3ymill3r
08-18-2013, 11:14 AM
The Hornets were clearly better off with Divac anyways.

MrfadeawayJB
08-18-2013, 11:16 AM
^^^
This lol

bholly
08-18-2013, 11:29 AM
The Clippers story came from an interview with Jimmy Kimmel. If you want to hear it from Kobe's own mouth you can:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TmHB-eiRFyw

Clippersfan86
08-18-2013, 12:29 PM
He obviously didn't take it too bad considering he was headed to the Clippers in 04 according to him until the morning of signing when Jim Buss changed Kobe's mind. Can't blame a bad team from not taking a gamble on a 17 year old out of HS.

Bruno
08-18-2013, 02:22 PM
He obviously didn't take it too bad considering he was headed to the Clippers in 04 according to him until the morning of signing when Jim Buss changed Kobe's mind. Can't blame a bad team from not taking a gamble on a 17 year old out of HS.

exactly. how were they supposed to know he'd become what he is? it took one of the best minds in NBA history to see past the raw ability and DOB.

he doesn't mention it in the interview at the nokia w/ jimmy but the nets also wanted kobe. they were slyly persuaded out of it and went with Kittles (who was serviceable for them); West master-minded the entire thing.

koberulesall
08-18-2013, 02:37 PM
thank god the best scorer ever didn't end up on the hornets or clippers that would have sucked a s s

smith&wesson
08-18-2013, 03:01 PM
Their loss

Supreme LA
08-18-2013, 03:02 PM
I don't think anybody should be shocked considering 3/4 of PSD hates him and wouldn't have drafted Bryant either, and they probably still wouldn't even knowing the career he eventually ended up having.

abe_froman
08-18-2013, 03:04 PM
there's a reason those franchise have been lackluster for the most part through their histories

carlthack
08-18-2013, 03:04 PM
Kobe haters are pathetic the way they try claim that he swindled his way to the Lakers when in fact he had absolutely no control over his fate on that draft night. The original thread is true. Kobe was drafted by the Hornets but only to be used as trade bait to get a big man. Eventually they ended up trading him to the Lakers for Vlade Divac which looked like a steal for the Hornets at the time..

Tony_Starks
08-18-2013, 03:16 PM
Kobe haters are pathetic the way they try claim that he swindled his way to the Lakers when in fact he had absolutely no control over his fate on that draft night. The original thread is true. Kobe was drafted by the Hornets but only to be used as trade bait to get a big man. Eventually they ended up trading him to the Lakers for Vlade Divac which looked like a steal for the Hornets at the time..

Kobe haters love to re-write history. The facts are that the only one who saw Kobe's potential was Jerry West. The other teams looked at him as a huge gamble and not worth the risk.

lamzoka
08-18-2013, 03:19 PM
why worked somebody out knowing damn sure u not gonna draft him?

waste of time and energy

ILLUSIONIST^248
08-18-2013, 03:36 PM
thank god the best scorer ever didn't end up on the hornets or clippers that would have sucked a s s

No doubt.

icon1914
08-18-2013, 03:43 PM
Kobe haters love to re-write history. The facts are that the only one who saw Kobe's potential was Jerry West. The other teams looked at him as a huge gamble and not worth the risk.

West was not the only person that saw potential in Kobe Bryant. Calipari was about to draft him number eight... But Kobe's camp rather him go to Charlotte where a deal was in place to get him to LA going as far to say Kobe would play for Italy if taken by New Jersey... I'm sure situations like this arise all the time in pro sports, and this does not make Kobe some sort of bad guy... To say Kobe had no control is in fact re-writting history.

http://www.slamonline.com/online/nba/2011/03/john-calipari-regrets-not-drafting-kobe-bryant-in-new-jersey/

IndyRealist
08-18-2013, 03:48 PM
Who's rewriting history, exactly?

The cynics are suddenly disdainful of Kobe Bryant, labeling him a typical Generation X adolescent who happens to be a professional athlete.

One with the gall to demand that the Charlotte Hornets surrender their rights to him so he can go play in Los Angeles....

....``We got an ultimatum from Kobe, too,'' Sacramento Kings player personnel director Jerry Reynolds said. ``Not just Charlotte. We were at No. 14, and we were strongly considering taking Kobe, but he was gone.''

In declining an invitation to visit Sacramento, Calif., for a workout and interview, Bryant told the Kings not to bother drafting him, Reynolds said.

``It's depressing that any player and his representation, who have their choice of entering or electing not to enter the draft, turn around and don't follow the rules of the draft,'' Reynolds said. ``But in the end, you've got to look at the player, not the agent. After all, the agents work for the players. It isn't the other way around.''

http://articles.philly.com/1996-07-02/sports/25621392_1_kobe-bryant-lakers-arn-tellem

IndyRealist
08-18-2013, 03:53 PM
West was not the only person that saw potential in Kobe Bryant. Calipari was about to draft him number eight... But Kobe's camp rather him go to Charlotte where a deal was in place to get him to LA going as far to say Kobe would play for Italy if taken by New Jersey... I'm sure situations like this arise all the time in pro sports, and this does not make Kobe some sort of bad guy... To say Kobe had no control is in fact re-writting history.

http://www.slamonline.com/online/nba/2011/03/john-calipari-regrets-not-drafting-kobe-bryant-in-new-jersey/

This is the relevant quote:
[Agent ArnTellem] spun a 180 and now began claiming Bryant wouldn’t show up in Jersey, began saying they’d send the kid to play pro ball in Italy,

Chronz
08-19-2013, 01:08 AM

:hide:

Kobe stans: :guns:

Heatcheck
08-19-2013, 04:47 PM

at least i wouldnt be confused as to why he bought the bobcats

Cracka2HI!
08-19-2013, 04:51 PM
Wasn't Bryant picked 9th or something? Wouldn't that mean 8 teams didn't want him? I do however shutter to think of who the Clippers drafted instead...

Clippersfan86
08-19-2013, 05:22 PM
Wasn't Bryant picked 9th or something? Wouldn't that mean 8 teams didn't want him? I do however shutter to think of who the Clippers drafted instead...

I believe he was picked 13th. Clippers drafted Lorenzen Wright RIP.

beasted86
08-19-2013, 05:33 PM
You Kobe jock riders are total losers. Redo the research, Kobe's camp made it clear there were certain teams he wasn't going to play for.

All this time you are really only trying to convince yourselves, and reinvent history.

JasonJohnHorn
08-19-2013, 06:45 PM

The best scorer ever? I thought this thread was about Kobe?

TheMightyHumph
08-19-2013, 08:19 PM
He said he worked out with the Clippers and they told him it was great workout but "we're looking to rebuild the franchise and don't think the city of LA would get behind us drafting a 17 year old kid."

He also says Charlotte told him flat out, we cant use you.

That's from the horses mouth, so much for the he forced his way to the Lakers theory.....

( got it from hoopshype )

Honestly, after all these NBA years of paying attention to Kobe, why would ANYONE believe one word of what Black Mambo (Cha Cha Cha) says?

It's like tales from the old West.

IndiansFan337
08-19-2013, 09:36 PM
Guys getting picked at the back end of the lottery don't get to force their way to specific cities. He definitely did not force his way to LAL.

TheMightyHumph
08-19-2013, 09:39 PM
Guys getting picked at the back end of the lottery don't get to force their way to specific cities. He definitely did not force his way to LAL.

You poor naive soul

IndyRealist
08-19-2013, 11:46 PM

He only got to the back end of the lottery because he and his agent told every team not the Lakers that if they drafted him and did NOT trade him to the Lakers, he would simply go play pro ball in Italy where he grew up. Teams that could not work out a deal with LA passed on him. It's in both articles posted in this thread.

How do people forget this stuff?

Tony_Starks
08-20-2013, 10:27 AM
He only got to the back end of the lottery because he and his agent told every team not the Lakers that if they drafted him and did NOT trade him to the Lakers, he would simply go play pro ball in Italy where he grew up. Teams that could not work out a deal with LA passed on him. It's in both articles posted in this thread.

I'm sure you are very knowledgable but I'm sorry I'm taking Kobe's word over yours. The Kobe forced his way to LA story is simply a hater fairy tale...

Btw the way he went like 13th so I'm not sure how you can threaten teams that aren't even in position to draft you that you won't go to their team...

Tony_Starks
08-20-2013, 12:05 PM
For those interested in facts instead of speculation here is what the actual coach of the Nets said. Facts:

Gushing over Bryant’s skill and potential after seeing him throughout his high school career and in pre-draft workouts, people were waiting to see if he would actually bite at the prep star with the seventh pick. Another rumored possibility was pulling the trigger and drafting a more proven commodity like Villanova’s star wing player and local favorite Kerry Kittles. Even draft commentators Hubie Brown and Rick Pitino broached the subject repeatedly, adding fuel to the fire.

When all was said and done, Coach Cal opted to go with Kittles, thus dropping the ball and the greatest scorer of our generation. When asked why he chose Kittles instead of Bryant, Calipari stated that even though Kobe Bryant was a “great player,” he felt that with the position the Nets were in as a team and franchise Kerry was the better overall fit. Kobe would eventually fall to Charlotte at the 13th pick and would be traded to the Lakers. After that, I’m pretty sure you know the rest.

Read more: http://smokingsection.uproxx.com/TSS/2013/06/kobe-bryant-1996-nba-draft#ixzz2cWgL1xIs

IndyRealist
08-20-2013, 01:44 PM
The Jerry Reynolds quote directly contradicts yours, TS. One sounds like PR, while the other sounds like he had nothing to lose by speaking the truth.

Sorry but nothing I said was speculation. I provided quotes and an article published at the time.

JNA17
08-20-2013, 01:56 PM

Your theory is cute but I'd rather take word from Kobe himself than some poster on a small sports forum site, k thanks.

IndyRealist
08-20-2013, 07:51 PM
Your theory is cute but I'd rather take word from Kobe himself than some poster on a small sports forum site, k thanks.

Don't take my word. The article I posted was from Stephen A. Smith, at the time Kobe was drafted, which includes quotes from executives involved.

And this is the second time someone said this same thing. Why is what Kobe says trustworthy, when he has every reason to lie? Because he has a line of shoes? Because he's never lied to or cheated on his wife? More to the point, why is it when Kobe says, "I didn't force my way to LA" everyone believes him, but when he says, "I understand now that the sex was NOT consensual" that it's just PR? Idol worship, SMH.

Chronz
08-20-2013, 07:59 PM

Kobe didn't force himself to LA (tho it was always the preferred choice), what he forced was that he went to a big market. He would have loved to go #1 and play in Philly but that was never in the cards.

What did Kobe say that contradicts this?

Tony_Starks
08-21-2013, 02:02 AM
Don't take my word. The article I posted was from Stephen A. Smith, at the time Kobe was drafted, which includes quotes from executives involved.

And this is the second time someone said this same thing. Why is what Kobe says trustworthy, when he has every reason to lie? Because he has a line of shoes? Because he's never lied to or cheated on his wife? More to the point, why is it when Kobe says, "I didn't force my way to LA" everyone believes him, but when he says, "I understand now that the sex was NOT consensual" that it's just PR? Idol worship, SMH.

When you bring up the debacle with his wife it reeks of haterism and kills whatever point you may have had. It has absolutely nothing to do with what we're talking about. I'm not calling you a hater but for those that dislike Kobe that's always their last resort.....

Tony_Starks
08-21-2013, 02:11 AM
Kobe didn't force himself to LA (tho it was always the preferred choice), what he forced was that he went to a big market. He would have loved to go #1 and play in Philly but that was never in the cards.

What did Kobe say that contradicts this?

You know the original thread title involves the Hornets and Clippers being on record about not wanting Kobe. That's all this is about. Despite popular belief, he was not a highly heralded draft pick that chose his destination...

carlthack
08-21-2013, 02:26 AM
You know the original thread title involves the Hornets and Clippers being on record about not wanting Kobe. That's all this is about. Despite popular belief, he was not a highly heralded draft pick that chose his destination...

Exactly. In fact it looked like the Hornets pulled off a steal at the time when they got Vlade Divac in exchange for the 17 year old high schooler.

Kevj77
08-21-2013, 03:14 AM
Exactly. In fact it looked like the Hornets pulled off a steal at the time when they got Vlade Divac in exchange for the 17 year old high schooler.Yup. Kobe didn't even get much playing time as a rookie and Divac had a good season for the Hornets.

Also all the people saying Kobe forced his way to LA need to get over it. Teams should have grown some balls and called his bluff if they really thought he was going to be great. Kobe wasn't going to play in Italy instead of the NBA.

Lakers + Giants
08-21-2013, 03:19 AM
Yea but according to everyone on PSD kobe forced his way to LA.

You all feel silly now?

Kevj77
08-21-2013, 03:30 AM
Yea but according to everyone on PSD kobe forced his way to LA.

You all feel silly now?You'll never convince a Kobe hater of anything. No matter what!

He forced his way to LA.
Kobe was never at any point in his career the best player in the NBA.
He didn't deserve his single MVP.
Kobe isn't clutch.
His finals MVPs should have gone to Pau.

Chronz
08-21-2013, 04:09 AM
Yea but according to everyone on PSD kobe forced his way to a Big Market.

You all feel correct now?

Fixed

kblo247
08-21-2013, 04:18 AM
Kobe said he would have been a Sixer but that's wasn't in the cards. He even in the interview said he would have been happy joining the clips but they didn't want him because of his age, remember he was the first hs small. There was then the Hornets who openly told him they had no use for him. It all came down to the Nets who West personally admits to calling a talking down Kobe's value while Tellan threatened them, but his parents admittedly wanted NJ, he just followed West and Tellam.

He practiced for Boston too but admitted he had no interest doing it to they said DJ would be there and then he signed up to go at him and for no other reason though he hates that pic.

Not many were going to risk things on Kobe or do people not remember outside the lines and Phil Jackson speaking on Kobe and JO entering the draft and saying no boys allowed. West was blown away his words to max and Marcellus when Kobe beat every workout record they had then at 17. He had to have him, he got him, and the Hornets helped his scheme. They needed a C, la needed to she Vlade to sign Shaq.

Kobe, Shaq, Fisher, Fox, and Horry were all secured that same summer because Jerry West and Jerry Buss played poker. Did whatever it took to get kobe, made way for Shaq and sold him on legacy, got Fox to take less, took Horry to the beach and sat him down to talk him into it, and then found the kid from Little Rock who lacked PG skills and was thought to be second round at best entering the draft and took him with their first. All while keeping Eddie, Nick, and Elden

Lakers + Giants
08-21-2013, 04:49 AM
Fixed

Problem is, many specifically said the lakers. So that was still false.

Kevj77
08-21-2013, 05:28 AM
FixedSays the guy that has used advanced stats to say X,Y,Z players are better than Kobe, but has him looking cocky in his sig.

Like I said call his bluff he wasn't going to play in Italy. Stop the forced BS. Kobe wanted to play in the NBA period. If teams thought he would be good draft him or shut up.

asandhu23
08-21-2013, 08:39 AM
Hindsight is 20/20.

asandhu23
08-21-2013, 08:45 AM
Today, ESPN Books released Roland Lazenby’s latest book, Jerry West: The Life and Legend of a Basketball Icon. While the majority of the book is about West growing up and his days as a Laker, the latter chapters revolve around West’s career as the Lakers GM. You know, the West that younger fans have experienced firsthand and have come to revere. There are great details about West as the mastermind behind assembling the early 2000’s Lakers dynasty, but this is probably the most revealing anecdote from p. 379:

First West had to take the huge gamble of trading veteran center Vlade Divac to the Charlotte Hornets for their thirteenth pick in the draft. Then he learned that John Calipari, the coach of the New Jersey Nets, planned to take [Kobe] Bryant with the eighth pick before the Lakers could snare him at thirteen.

“Jerry wanted Kobe, so he basically called up and talked Cal out of drafting Kobe,” explained Hal Wiseel, who was with the Nets at the time. West encouraged the Bryant family to talk to Calipari and explain that their son really wanted to play for the Lakers. “He knew if we didn’t take him at eight, he’d drop to Charlotte, and he could make the deal with Charlotte,” Wissel recalled. “Cal was young in the league and, hey, it’s Jerry West on the phone.”

Wow. If you have won a fantasy sports league amongst your friends recently, you have probably pulled what we’ll now call, “A Logo.” That is, managing to talk your friend out of drafting someone because you want him with a later pick (although you most likely didn’t get his family involved). Even crazier is that it was John Calipari, the same guy under constant scrutiny for the caliber of players he has been able to bring to his programs. The same guy whose 2008 Memphis Tigers team had their entire season erased from the NCAA record books for recruiting violations of Derrick Rose. After conceding to Jerry West and losing out on Kobe, it’s not hard to see where Calipari has gotten his recruiting proficiency from.

http://dimemag.com/2010/02/jerry-west-talked-john-calipari-out-of-drafting-kobe/

asandhu23
08-21-2013, 08:51 AM
Greg Oden is not a destination snob. Without an ounce of hat envy, Oden tugged on a white Portland cap last night, eager for an eco-friendly embrace from thousands of outdoorsy folks who have one indoor vice: the Trail Blazers.

He will take his No. 1 draft status and happily disappear into the Pacific Northwest, where he will play in a 50-watt market for a quirky billionaire owner with a Jimi Hendrix fixation.

He will pack his post moves, blocking skills and Bill Russell’s advice and gladly play in the Rose Garden, where his performances will register on the East Coast only with night watchmen and insomniacs.

Obscurity is hip to Oden. Outposts are in with him. His grin wasn’t staged or forced or for the cameras. He was genuinely thrilled about his initial step as an N.B.A. player.

But what is the longevity of a first impression? It can last a decade.

The N.B.A.’s draft night functioned as a reliable case study for the temperament and character of Tim Duncan and Kobe Bryant.

In 1997, Duncan couldn’t wait to fit into the low-key life of San Antonio as a willing apprentice to David Robinson, with only titles on his mind. From the beginning, Duncan foreshadowed his greatness.

Bryant foreshadowed his gall. In 1996, Bryant, a teenager exiting high school for the N.B.A., was not the first pick, but he exuded self-importance when he refused to play anywhere but Hollywood.

With the 13th selection, with a deal to trade Bryant to Los Angeles in pocket, Charlotte chose him. But there was a point where it looked as if the Lakers’ Vlade Divac would retire rather than take part in a trade that would send him to Charlotte for Bryant.

Couldn’t Bryant be a Hornet? Could he grow to love Southern sweet tea?

“That is an impossibility,” Bryant’s agent, Arn Tellem, said at the time. “There are no ifs. It would not happen. He is going to be a Laker, and that’s the only team he’s playing for.”

Bryant got what he wanted. Always has in Los Angeles. Now the address has lost its luster with losing. He wants out of the place he once demanded for his arrival.

For weeks, Bryant has been crying for a trade when he is actually screaming for relevance.

What he doesn’t realize is that this is not his league anymore. This is not the N.B.A. of isolation plays and diva desires. Entitlement is so Jordan era. In 1997, Duncan was considered a throwback. These days, he is retro cool.

More stars are emulating Duncan’s magnanimous philosophy — and the Spurs’ united team concept — than ever before. Unselfishness is all the rage when a luminary like LeBron James is, of all things, scrutinized for his serial inclusion of teammates, when Dwyane Wade will do what Bryant would not in allowing Shaquille O’Neal to remain the big man on campus in Miami, when Steve Nash has become a celebrity of distribution.

Modesty is the trend. And Oden fits right in.

Is he on his way to becoming Duncan? There are no lemon laws for draft picks, so there is no guarantee Oden will fulfill the hype of his draft selection, but he is off to a Duncanesque start.

Oden will play in a city small enough to let him grow, with a support system wide enough to help him develop, but for a team that needs him more than San Antonio ever needed Duncan.

Oden is, at only 19, being asked to redraw the caricature of an organization known for its history of cartoonish miscreants, from Rasheed Wallace’s tantrums to Damon Stoudemire’s pot habits.

Oden will enter a franchise weary of hearing police sirens going off in the middle of the night. Not a problem, Oden assured. “I have a 1:30 a.m. bedtime limit,” he said, joking last night. “So I won’t be out at night.”

One troublemaker, Zach Randolph, won’t be around to influence Oden after a trade last night. Who were the suckers for the bad boy? The Knicks, a team stuck on the outdated paradigm of going for a big name over a strategy with substance.

Substance is the N.B.A.’s hot commodity. As Kevin Pritchard, the Trail Blazers’ general manager, has said, Oden represents the new Trail Blazers: “Away from the old and Jail Blazer image to one of being unselfish and tough and putting the team first and team goal ahead of individuals.”

Duncan was the vision of unity after winning his fourth championship ring this month. He rubbed Tony Parker on the head, then stepped back and faded into the confetti as his teammate claimed the Most Valuable Player trophy.

Such graciousness has always escaped Bryant. Even as last night’s N.B.A. draft played out, talk of Bryant’s trade desires dominated the discussion.

Petulance is old news, though. Oden would display none of it. He was going to Portland, to hang in the shadow of Mount Hood, to mingle among the eco-friendly.

In a way, Oden, after a long week in Manhattan, couldn’t wait for obscurity.

In this way, he was decidedly Duncan on draft night, making a nice first impression that may last an entire career.

http://select.nytimes.com/2007/06/29/sports/29roberts.html?_r=0

asandhu23
08-21-2013, 08:56 AM
We know there are some 5-year-olds who will think we're crazy for saying this, but wasn't it a bummer the day the Lakers traded good old Vlade?

Of course, history will remember it differently.

But at the time, it stank of a high school kid declaring his dream to play in the NBA ... but only for the Lakers. Bryant basically strong-armed his way out of Charlotte instead of thanking the Hornets for spending a 13th overall pick on a teenager. He seemed to be giving off a vibe that only a city like L.A. was big enough to hold him.

Who knew he'd be right?

And poor Vlade. He threatened retirement before moving to Charlotte. He loved living in L.A. Nobody was dropping bombs on his home and his wife was an aspiring actress. He even pulled off the memorable line, "I am no longer irritating" in a shaving cream ad. He finally relented after talking with Hornets management and agreed to the trade.

The Lakers obliterated his memory by signing Shaquille O'Neal a week later.

And in the long run, the move probably helped Divac's career, making him a little more aggressive now that he had been jilted in the cruel NBA. He ended up in Sacramento, where he has proven to be a thorn in the mighty Lakers' sides the last couple of seasons.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/basketball/nba/news/2001/05/26/sayitaintso_lakers/

hidalgo
08-21-2013, 09:32 AM
what a sissy. he knew he couldn't lead a small market team to championships(ala MJ, Tim Duncan), & was definitely too scared to try. i'm sure the LA front office let him know they'd sign Shaq just a week later too

beasted86
08-21-2013, 09:33 AM
You'll never convince a Kobe hater of anything. No matter what!

He forced his way to LA.
Kobe was never at any point in his career the best player in the NBA.
He didn't deserve his single MVP.
Kobe isn't clutch.
His finals MVPs should have gone to Pau.

3 out of 5

AWC713
08-21-2013, 09:55 AM
apparently 12 other teams didnt want to draft kobe...

pacofunk64
08-21-2013, 10:48 AM
The Hornets were clearly better off with Divac anyways.

Vlade dody we likes to party

tr3ymill3r
08-21-2013, 11:09 AM
You cannot measure a man's heart especially at 17 years old. Therefore you can see the apprehension of a team like the Hornets who were going nowhere fast on drafting a 17 year old. At the same time there is an argument to be made that the Lakers were quite lucky by landing a guy who turned out to be who he is and not just another guy who is now playing overseas. There were more foreigners and high school kids who got a rookie contract and were never heard of again. I had the opportunity to play against Ndudi Ebi in high school, and he was considered to be the next KG and look how that panned out for him. Even #1 picks are sometimes busts, Kwame Brown comes to mind and guys are taken way to high based on some type of ceiling they are projected to have, Darko. Kobe will go down as one of the best players in NBA history, and the haters are just showing their admiration in a different way. There is a thin line between hate and love.

LAKERMANIA
08-21-2013, 11:58 AM
Why would Kobe force other teams to pass on him in order to have the Charlotte Hornets draft him? The Hornets were that good back then?

asandhu23
08-21-2013, 03:29 PM
Why would Kobe force other teams to pass on him in order to have the Charlotte Hornets draft him? The Hornets were that good back then?

Yes. Yes, they were. 50 wins.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/teams/CHH/1995.html

the next year, they lost Alonzo but were still a 41 win team.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/teams/CHH/1996.html

LAKERMANIA
08-21-2013, 07:33 PM
Yes. Yes, they were. 50 wins.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/teams/CHH/1995.html

the next year, they lost Alonzo but were still a 41 win team.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/teams/CHH/1996.html

So Kobe forced every team before the Hornets to pass on him so he could play for the Charlotte Hornets?

Lakers + Giants
08-21-2013, 09:53 PM
So Kobe forced every team before the Hornets to pass on him so he could play for the Charlotte Hornets?

Yes, according to PSD.

Lakers + Giants
08-21-2013, 09:57 PM
The truth is, 13 teams didnt believe he'd be anything special.

Luckily for us, it's brought us many many many many many happy memories.

bigsams50
08-21-2013, 10:15 PM
Yes, according to PSD.

Didnt the Sports Illustrated article asandhu23 posted basically say that Kobe only wanted to play for LA?

Tony_Starks
08-21-2013, 10:30 PM

Yep. PSD says that even though he was a unproven 17 year old kid fresh out of high school that didn't even start, apparently he had enough clout to hold half the league ransom.

I'm sure he orchestrated the Shaq deal too...

Tony_Starks
08-21-2013, 10:33 PM
http://select.nytimes.com/2007/06/29/sports/29roberts.html?_r=0

You don't think that article sounds a tad biased? Just a bit?....

IndyRealist
08-21-2013, 10:44 PM
When you bring up the debacle with his wife it reeks of haterism and kills whatever point you may have had. It has absolutely nothing to do with what we're talking about. I'm not calling you a hater but for those that dislike Kobe that's always their last resort.....

Huh? Multiple people suggested that Kobe's word was more credible than mine (or Stephen A. Smith). So I pointed to his lack of credibility, and known times that he lied. I did not bring up at all until people said he word is credible. Context, man.

IndyRealist
08-21-2013, 10:46 PM

So he could get to a team that would complete a trade with the Lakers.

IndyRealist
08-21-2013, 10:51 PM
I'm sure you are very knowledgable but I'm sorry I'm taking Kobe's word over yours. The Kobe forced his way to LA story is simply a hater fairy tale...

Btw the way he went like 13th so I'm not sure how you can threaten teams that aren't even in position to draft you that you won't go to their team...

You two brought up credibility, not I. You opened the door for his credibility as an honest person to be challenged. That's not hate that's countering your argument.

TheIlladelph16
08-21-2013, 11:17 PM
All things considered, a pretty poor decision in retrospect for the Clippers and Hornets haha

LAKERMANIA
08-22-2013, 11:11 AM
Didnt the Sports Illustrated article asandhu23 posted basically say that Kobe only wanted to play for LA?

Which 17 year old doesn't want to play for LA?

LAKERMANIA
08-22-2013, 11:13 AM
So he could get to a team that would complete a trade with the Lakers.

Oh I see, not only was Kobe threatening 12 teams to pass on him, he is apparently also a great fortuneteller, able to see that the Hornets were the ONLY team that could make a trade with the Lakers..

Amazing!

bigsams50
08-22-2013, 12:02 PM
Which 17 year old doesn't want to play for LA?

Want shouldn't come into play in the NBA draft. You get drafted where you get drafted, and you show up.

LAKERMANIA
08-22-2013, 12:09 PM
Want shouldn't come into play in the NBA draft. You get drafted where you get drafted, and you show up.
Doesn't change the fact that they all have their preferences, and each young player in the draft would absolutely love to play in LA.

bigsams50
08-22-2013, 12:56 PM
Doesn't change the fact that they all have their preferences, and each young player in the draft would absolutely love to play in LA.

I wouldnt doubt that, i just am saying that if Kobe and his agent let it be known that he only wanted to play for LA, then that is kind of a douche move on his part.

LAKERMANIA
08-22-2013, 01:04 PM
I wouldnt doubt that, i just am saying that if Kobe and his agent let it be known that he only wanted to play for LA, then that is kind of a douche move on his part.

Didn't happen.

The Hornets actually informed him that they did not have a place for him on the team so they traded him to the team ran by the guy who said that Kobe's workout was one of the greatest workouts of a high school player he had ever seen.

bigsams50
08-22-2013, 01:24 PM
Didn't happen.

The Hornets actually informed him that they did not have a place for him on the team so they traded him to the team ran by the guy who said that Kobe's workout was one of the greatest workouts of a high school player he had ever seen.

I've read reports that say he did, and reports that say he didnt. So i'm not really sure how to look at it now honestly. I cant take Kobe's word for it, because he might just be saying it for his own benefits, and other reports might be saying it because Kobe turned out to be a great player. So i guess its all up to what everyone wants to believe

IndyRealist
08-22-2013, 06:49 PM
Oh I see, not only was Kobe threatening 12 teams to pass on him, he is apparently also a great fortuneteller, able to see that the Hornets were the ONLY team that could make a trade with the Lakers..

Amazing!

Think before you post, man. All he had to say was, "If any team drafts me, they'd better trade me to LA, or I'm just going to play in Italy where I grew up." It is CONFIRMED in the articles above that Kobe's agent told this to at least Jersey, Sacramento, and of course Charlotte. So each team in the lottery went to look for a trade with LA, and if they couldn't they simply passed. This is not a rumor. This is not an opinion. This is directly QUOTED from the execs involved, as well as an article written by Stephen A. Smith in 1996, before anyone knew Kobe would be the phenom he turned out to be.

Tony_Starks
08-22-2013, 07:04 PM
Think before you post, man. All he had to say was, "If any team drafts me, they'd better trade me to LA, or I'm just going to play in Italy where I grew up." It is CONFIRMED in the articles above that Kobe's agent told this to at least Jersey, Sacramento, and of course Charlotte. So each team in the lottery went to look for a trade with LA, and if they couldn't they simply passed. This is not a rumor. This is not an opinion. This is directly QUOTED from the execs involved, as well as an article written by Stephen A. Smith in 1996, before anyone knew Kobe would be the phenom he turned out to be.

Quotes from his ex-agent and from a rival Kings exec whose team Kobe destroyed isn't exactly iron clad credible. One could argue they both have a ax to grind and are bitter.

Coach Cal has no reason to lie one way or another. Actually, saying that Kobe threatened not to come to jersey would make him look better for passing on bim. He himself said that he screwed up and Kittles was the more sure thing, which at the time he was. Even the Lakers themselves were said to be more interested in trading up for Marbury but West was sold on Kobe.

So I'm rolling with the coach and Kobe on this one....

el hidalgo
08-22-2013, 07:09 PM
LMAO at people taking Kobe's word on this. Yeah, it's not like he would say the thing that would make him look better. Absolutely ridiculous. I guess I'll take Nixon's word that he wasn't a crook. Good logic, amirite?