PDA

View Full Version : China, the Next Great Basketball Talent Producer?

Clippersfan86
08-17-2013, 10:44 PM
I was thinking about it after I ran into this amazing commercial I somehow missed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VJ9fi3UkNbg

I know China gave us Yao but outside of that that... nobody else has made the NBA actually born and raised in China. Given how huge basketball is getting in Asia the last decade or so... I was thinking how it's probably not long before they start producing stars like Europe has done for decades.

Huge population, biggest recent basketball culture in the world maybe.. bound to produce something. I can see many stars coming from China in the coming decades. The way a lot of parents in Asian countries pound practicing and studying into the kids (music for example) it seems inevitable.

Hellcrooner
08-17-2013, 10:55 PM
I would look to Africa instead.

they have the phisical tools, and there are literally THOUSENDS of them playing for the younger schemes of european teams, getting the same Skills/technical training that the Paus, Dirks, Parkers and so on got.

Watch out for that.

Im almost sure in 10 years the next big thing will be an african player developed in europe.

Clippersfan86
08-17-2013, 11:00 PM

they have the phisical tools, and there are literally THOUSENDS of them playing for the younger schemes of european teams, getting the same Skills/technical training that the Paus, Dirks, Parkers and so on got.

Watch out for that.

Im almost sure in 10 years the next big thing will be an african player developed in europe.

Eh. China has FAR greater basketball RESOURCES which is vital to turning out stars. How many basketball courts exist in Africa in comparison? I just feel like the environment in China is FAR more basketball friendly, although Africa may have had a head start. Besides Chinese ballers are EXTREMELY quick and athletic. I'm not expecting many PF's or something but they could likely turn out a few PG/SG stars and maybe another huge center in the next decade.

I agree Africa should be watched closely talent wise and should also turn out a few stars in the near future.

Hellcrooner
08-17-2013, 11:09 PM
Eh. China has FAR greater basketball RESOURCES which is vital to turning out stars. How many basketball courts exist in Africa in comparison? I just feel like the environment in China is FAR more basketball friendly, although Africa may have had a head start. Besides Chinese ballers are EXTREMELY quick and athletic. I'm not expecting many PF's or something but they could likely turn out a few PG/SG stars and maybe another huge center in the next decade.

I agree Africa should be watched closely talent wise and should also turn out a few stars in the near future.

Did you miss the part where i stated that thousends of african kids have been brought and are right now developing in europe ?
They send scouts all around africa looking for talent and they bring them here.
European resources and youth schemes > China resources.
And then they play PRO basket in much better league than the chinese one.

Ibaka and Biyombo are only the first wave of many to come in the next few years in that mold ( too bad they did jump too soon instead of completing their developement in europe).

mdm692
08-17-2013, 11:10 PM
Yeah then they gave us Yi and it all went down the *******. I'll take the african players with euro league experience over the chinese players any day.

TorontoHuskies
08-17-2013, 11:17 PM
No that's Canada...The Chinese will have problems developing players because there aren't enough courts to practice on over there (crowded as ****).

JNA17
08-17-2013, 11:25 PM

This is probably going to sound racist but screw it.

I would rather search for future basketball talent in China simply because I would like to see more diversity in Basketball. Hell, any white European, Chinese, or American would do. Football and Baseball are very diverse in terms of cultural diversity yet with the NBA, the current best white basketball we got (American, European, or chinese, etc) is Marc Gasol. Which is not a knack on Gasol really its just...well...more would be nice is all I'm saying.

The following people that quote me, please don't hate me, I'm not a racist I swear. My current girlfriend is African American for what it's worth. :(

Clippersfan86
08-17-2013, 11:46 PM
Did you miss the part where i stated that thousends of african kids have been brought and are right now developing in europe ?
They send scouts all around africa looking for talent and they bring them here.
European resources and youth schemes > China resources.
And then they play PRO basket in much better league than the chinese one.

Ibaka and Biyombo are only the first wave of many to come in the next few years in that mold ( too bad they did jump too soon instead of completing their developement in europe).

Which isn't the same anyways. Bringing young kids to Europe from Africa doesn't tie into the born and raised type deal I was talking about. I'm saying kids that grow up entirely in Africa aren't going to make it due to poor basketball environment.

Supreme LA
08-18-2013, 03:20 AM
It's only a matter of time for China. How long? Only time will tell.

MrfadeawayJB
08-18-2013, 11:47 AM
Heard Mexico will be putting out some stars lol

But seriously, china should be ahead of the curve. The basketball impact is huge there and they have the resources and population to produce talent, yet they haven't so far.

Africa has the best shot between the two. Basketball is gaining popularity and they have basketball without borders and roots development schools over there whose prime mission is to get the talent on the high school prep rankings. Over the years Africa has sent hs age kids to America and allowed them to develop, putting them into major D1 scholarships. ( a documentary I've seen had 5 kids, all played college ball most notably 2 bigs go to Washington and Virginia, respectively) also as others have said if they don't go that route they play in Europe ( ie ibaka/biyombo/ I think deng too) and develop there.

South America is soccer crazy but if the athletes grow too much they go with basketball. There has been great impact players from here too, most notably nene (brazil) Manu (Argentina) and varejao (brazil)

Australia is also on the rise. They are a hotspot for st. Mary's, who recruits players from there regularly. One current nba player that attended st. Mary's and comes to mind is patty mills and Matthew delavadova (undrafted FA?) there's a bright future there too with a hs player Dante exum who will go top 10 in a draft and is in the Evan turner mold.

Canada also a dark horse (obvious American influence) with most notably wiggins in the future but had success in the past in the form of Steve Nash.

I'd go with these rankings based in current and future, not necessarily past.
USA
Europe
Africa
Canada
South America
Asia
Australia

Going forward. However I only see a star coming from china in the form of a C. The quickness is a advantage from Asian guards, but us guards can match it and top it with superior athleticism

TheNumber37
08-18-2013, 12:05 PM

I would rather search for future basketball talent in China simply because I would like to see more diversity in Basketball. Hell, any white European, Chinese, or American would do. Football and Baseball are very diverse in terms of cultural diversity yet with the NBA, the current best white basketball we got (American, European, or chinese, etc) is Marc Gasol. Which is not a knack on Gasol really its just...well...more would be nice is all I'm saying.

The following people that quote me, please don't hate me, I'm not a racist I swear. My current girlfriend is African American for what it's worth. :(

not worth much, but talent is talent, who cares where it comes from.
To the point, and to yours as well.
I'D like to see a success from the UK (Not Deng). seems overdue.

aman
06-28-2014, 06:55 AM

I agree with you here. The 2014 NBA draft just completed.... the top 7 picks were black players. I don't want to see a basketball league full of black players.... it makes me feel like I'm watching ice hockey or chinese ping pong. You just don't get the sense that the best players are playing the sport if they all look the same.

ClippersFan86 mentioned that China should be able to produce a bunch of good PG/SGs.... but that's not the case. The Chinese system of identifying young players to train them in a sport is flawed. The Chinese will find young and TALL boys and put them into basketball sports academy. In essence the smaller point guards and shooting guards will be overlooked. The Chinese Basketball Association has no talented guards worthy of being an NBA prospect for this reason and why the Chinese national team's biggest weakness are in the play of their guards.

Now, there are two young chinese ballers who the Chinese are hoping will become the next great Yao Ming. These two players are tall. Wang Zhelin, is 7'0" who plays like a true center with post moves and will bang down low. He's got a big low base like Yao Ming and can hold his position. He's averaging 22pts, 11rebs in the league.

Another young guy named Zhou Qi will be a CBA rookie next season. He is 7'2" with extremely long arms and plays like a Kevin Durant. In a tournament in Europe, he was averaging 30 pts, 15 rebs, 8 blocks shots!

Those two guys are China's potential NBA players. There are no guards in the near future who has a chance to be in the NBA.

flclfanman
06-28-2014, 07:18 AM
Nope. Africa and Europe will keep producing gems for awhile

People shouldn't forget that Euroleague is the second best league in the world right now. China in the Olympics and the FIBA championships doesn't give the US problems. Spain, France, Serbia-Montenegro,etc. does.

Another sleeper site for talent is South America. Teams like Brazil, Argentina, and Mexico produce a lot of talent.

Miltstar
06-28-2014, 08:05 AM
im not trying to be racist or prejeduce here at all but most Chinese players don't have NBA bodies.

Miltstar
06-28-2014, 08:06 AM
im not trying to be racist or prejeduce here at all but most Chinese players don't have NBA bodies.

The greater Toronto area is the hot spot for proapects outside the US right now

... whoops that was supposed to be an edit

IndyRealist
06-28-2014, 10:17 AM

You're not. The typical Asian diet is very low in calories and leads to shorter people. My parents are from Vietnam and had 3 boys. My older brother is the shortest and ate the most Asian diet. My younger brother ate McDonalds almost exclusively and he's the tallest.

Obviously there are variations in any population, and you're going to have outliers like Yao, but in general Asians are short because of their diet.

BALLER R
06-28-2014, 10:27 AM

I get what your saying but talent wise Africa probably has the best raw athletes. If Africa had the same amount of basketball resources as China you would see a ton of talent coming out of there. BTW I'm black. I got half african cousins and friends that are just monsters naturally. They don't play ball seriously tho. But If they did I honestly think some of them could go far.

BALLER R
06-28-2014, 10:33 AM
The greater Toronto area is the hot spot for proapects outside the US right now

... whoops that was supposed to be an edit

This, basketball is growing in this city. All these Canadian players in the league now were watching Vince Carter in his prime. These kids are coming out of Vaughan and Brampton because those areas a lot of parent put there kids in programs from a young age. Not to mention those are some of the richer areas so parents can afford to have their kids in those programs from they are young.

Chavacano
06-28-2014, 11:00 AM
Not athletic and tall enough aside from the very few aberrations?

ManRam
06-28-2014, 11:00 AM
They have 1.4 billion people and the country is more or less basketball obsessed. So...yeah...it certainly seems possible.

Although, it's been a while since we've seen a Chinese player reach the NBA. I think it will start happening with more and more regularity though. The Yao craze was still relatively recent and the country still focuses so much of it's time and resources into developing Olympic athletes. They're still in their infancy of their basketball fandom.

0nekhmer
06-28-2014, 01:21 PM
In before China creates mutated super humans

FlashBolt
06-28-2014, 01:24 PM
I just want to say, if China and other countries are developing - doesn't that beg the question that basketball in general is tougher today than ever? There is talent from every country in the world. International players IMO are some of the most fundamentally sound players in any sport. There is a reason Greg adores international players.

lakerboy
06-28-2014, 01:57 PM
I get what your saying but talent wise Africa probably has the best raw athletes. If Africa had the same amount of basketball resources as China you would see a ton of talent coming out of there. BTW I'm black. I got half african cousins and friends that are just monsters naturally. They don't play ball seriously tho. But If they did I honestly think some of them could go far.

African kids from western countries who grew up in western diets are taller than native Chinese kids. However, on average, those who are born and raised in Africa are no taller than the Chinese person.

JEDean89
06-28-2014, 05:52 PM
i think the world will begin to produce much more nba quality talent and that the NBA won't have the 450 best players in the world anymore, international leagues will likely be able to competitively offer the players money in like 5 years or so.

i think david stern's legacy will be the globalization of the sport under him. his basketball without borders program has been incredible and i truly think basketball will become the next soccer (football) as a top world sport. north and south america, europe, asia, africa and now australia (and new zealand), all have ever improving basketball resources and popularity. **** when india and china really get into it, thats makes the pool absolutely massive.

smith&wesson
06-28-2014, 06:17 PM
I don't see why its significant where a player is from. If you're good enough to play in the league. Really it shouldn't matter where you are from.

Also, remember linsanity ? yao ? I remember one year Yao hardly played any games at all and was the leading vote getter for the allstar game. I think we should steer away from that mentality. Don't over hype players just because they didn't grow up in the united states, when they are on the court it makes no difference where they grew up.

smith&wesson
06-28-2014, 06:27 PM
I just want to say, if China and other countries are developing - doesn't that beg the question that basketball in general is tougher today than ever? There is talent from every country in the world. International players IMO are some of the most fundamentally sound players in any sport. There is a reason Greg adores international players.

the best players by far are still from NCAA ... by farrrrr.

Shlumpledink
06-28-2014, 06:57 PM
You have to look at the integration of talent. Euro players got to where they are now thanks to american players playing in the euroleagues, which gave the euro players better talent to compete against which upped their level of play for future generations.

Chinese basketball has only had a handful of foreign players playing in their systems. Which means there isn't a lot of great talent to play against them for future generations. They had a couple of NBA players going over to china a couple summers ago, which is sure to have helped their evolution as players, but it will take a little bit more than that. A few more olympics and FIBA tournaments to get them to a great take-off point.

It is only a matter of time before China is more represented in the NBA, but they won't reach the talent of everywhere else by playing against themselves. It is going to take them having players growing up in other countries, and/or playing in other countries leagues to become NBA ready.

JNA17
06-28-2014, 11:24 PM
Holy bump Batman.

aman
06-29-2014, 11:46 PM
You're not. The typical Asian diet is very low in calories and leads to shorter people. My parents are from Vietnam and had 3 boys. My older brother is the shortest and ate the most Asian diet. My younger brother ate McDonalds almost exclusively and he's the tallest.

Obviously there are variations in any population, and you're going to have outliers like Yao, but in general Asians are short because of their diet.

The 3 biggest named Chinese players to play in the NBA - Yao Ming, Wang Zhizhi, Yi Jianlian... were all sons of former basketball players. (Yi is the son of a former handball player) Obviously, they got their height from their genes.

If only tall people in China mated with each other, then the majority of the population will be tall no matter what food they eat. Although diet does help.

FOXHOUND
06-29-2014, 11:58 PM
Saying Africa is a country to look for is kind of misleading, isn't? I mean some of the best basketball players to ever play the game have come from Africa already.

JEDean89
06-30-2014, 12:43 PM
^^^ can people stop calling africa a country?

Miltstar
06-30-2014, 01:35 PM
I don't see why its significant where a player is from. If you're good enough to play in the league. Really it shouldn't matter where you are from.

Also, remember linsanity ? yao ? I remember one year Yao hardly played any games at all and was the leading vote getter for the allstar game. I think we should steer away from that mentality. Don't over hype players just because they didn't grow up in the united states, when they are on the court it makes no difference where they grew up.

It's not really significant if they can ball out but there certainly is a relationship between where your from in terms of development. You need to play against top level talent to really have a good chance at making it. (Hence why you think the NBA is best. The more talent around you growing up the more likely you are to absorb some of it and succeed

Trueblue2
06-30-2014, 08:02 PM
I see Australia as the next big producer of talent. Eyes are on them with exum and maker and irving and bogut before them. There's an upward trend in quality players coming from down under.

Thier natl team starting 5 can be:

Irving
Mills
Exum
Maker
Bogut

Little small on the wings but my god that front court would be nasty. Not to mention the distributing and shooting ability 1-3.