PDA

View Full Version : Underhanded FT shooting

TheMightyHumph
08-17-2013, 09:00 PM
Andre Drummond, a 37% FT shooter, latest player to refuse to try shooting FTs underhanded.

Is the object of the game to win, or am I wrong?

RipCity32
08-17-2013, 09:04 PM
Why did he just say that he wouldn't do it or something? I think he will get his ft% up around 50% this season.

JerseyPalahniuk
08-17-2013, 09:08 PM
Why did he just say that he wouldn't do it or something? I think he will get his ft% up around 50% this season.

That's still awful though.
I believe OP might have seen this:
http://m.espn.go.com/general/blogs/blogpost?blogname=truehoop&id=62100

Gators123
08-17-2013, 09:13 PM
http://espn.go.com/blog/truehoop/post/_/id/62100/dear-andre-drummond?src=mobile

Dear Andre Drummond,

Big fan here. Well, at least as much as a theoretically objective writer who doesn’t root for the Pistons can be. I was just taken with how your rookie year went.

You got all kinds of criticism and skepticism going into the draft.

Then the season started, and you obliterated that noise with dunks louder than a piano dropped from the clouds.

Some of the shots you blocked and alley-oops you caught had no business reaching the hands of man. Perhaps you know that you led all rookies in PER, but what really struck me were the plays that stuck with me throughout your season.

There was the Alec Burks' shot you blocked straight down at the floor like a dribble (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=77RAoRLYa-k), the 360 alley-oop, (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPi9z4gEzR4) the insane dunk that almost was (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q3M5OD_G3Dk) and the time you ripped Dwyane Wade on consecutive possessions (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lVDtx1NtwvY), just to name a few.

This was the best show on League Pass, but sadly, it couldn’t last. I noticed that, as the season went on, defenders took your presence more seriously. They began thwarting your highlight-reel plays at any cost. This usually meant they’d knock you out of the air or chop at your arms with the force of a punch. I don’t know if your back injury resulted from this kind of punishment, but it’s easy to see how this could lead to more injuries in the future.

We both know your free throw efficiency factors into the intentional fouls. It’s easy to see why defenders would avoid your 60.8 percent field goal shooting in favor of your 37.1 percent free throw shooting. Until the league addresses "hack-a" strategies, you’ll also have to deal with teams fouling you before the play even starts.

I, for one, hope that you can find a way to triumph over these obstacles.

You probably get a lot of advice, so I don’t want to seem like I’m lecturing. I’m fully aware that you’re the guy on the court, and I’m the guy on the laptop. This is just something to consider if you haven’t already.

Take it or leave it.

If your free throw shooting doesn't improve like Joe Dumars hopes it will, please consider shooting them underhand.

Of all the players who have been in this position, you’re uniquely suited to the dramatic style change.

Shaq couldn't handle it because he thought the form looked goofy. Though O’Neal was an all-timer, his teams lost games in eight playoff series in which average free throw shooting from O'Neal would have made up the difference. Imagine how great Shaq would have been had he succeeded with the underhand style. With, say, 80 percent free throw shooting from the line, Shaq easily could have been the best player ever. Hall of Famer Rick Barry even espoused that Shaq was perfect for underhand free throws on account of his large hands, but Shaq just couldn't subject himself to looking goofy.

Please don’t take offense to this, Andre, but you’re fantastic at owning goofy things. You've embraced penguin movies and the “Big Penguin” nickname, even going so far as to Vine yourself in a Penguin costume (http://blogs.thescore.com/tbj/2013/04/22/weird-penguin-jokes-from-andre-drummonds-vine-account/). You engaged in a "Star Wars" lightsaber fight (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3F8p0itxqeg)against a bipedal horse and designed hilarious sports logos on the side.

You’re unique, funny, and increasingly popular among fans, who see you as an antidote to the buttoned-down athlete cliché.

If you adopt something as retro-cool as the underhand free throw, fans will love you for it. Make it your signature.

Hey, if the overhand form you’re working on dramatically improves your percentage, forget I ever said anything. But if you’re anywhere close to 37 percent next season, what do you have to lose by switching? If this weird-looking form helps you become a great free throw shooter, then the benefits extend far beyond the free throws themselves. You’ll have an easier path to the rim, a lower risk of injury and, probably, a longer career. Moreover, you’ll be viewed as a brave pioneer, with a style of his own.

I wouldn't bother writing this open letter if you comported yourself like a typical person who does typical things. But you don’t. You're a fascinating person who wouldn't know boring if you dunked on its face. Free throws are usually boring, but you’re not.

You’re just the guy to make the free throw fun again.

Sincerely,

Duckbill Platypus Fan Ethan Sherwood Strauss

P.S. Maybe suggest underhand jump shots to Josh Smith.

TheMightyHumph
08-17-2013, 09:14 PM
That's still awful though.
I believe OP might have seen this:
http://m.espn.go.com/general/blogs/blogpost?blogname=truehoop&id=62100

I saw it on hoopshype

bagwell368
08-17-2013, 09:21 PM
My guess? It's not manly. Coaches wanting players to try it and stick with it better get some film of Barry and some stats. The guy was deadly. But I'll tell you it takes a ton of practice to take the strength and rotation "bias" out of your hands. The reason one hand J's wiped two handers off the map, is that there is less variables to contend with and hence you can reach a higher percentage faster.

I think guys that have trouble shooting FT's have two main problems - length of hands/fingers (Shaq, Rondo, Wilt), and just straight anxiety. The guys with structural issues should go right to underhand IMO. The anxiety guys need to be taught to relax. Sports shrinks could also be real helpful as well.

When I had a bad run a Coach taught me a trick. Shoot them with your eyes closed. The first few sucked, but after a bit the muscle memory takes over and they fall. Sometimes you have to make a game of it/change focus to get back on the rails.

TheMightyHumph
08-17-2013, 09:26 PM
My guess? It's not manly. Coaches wanting players to try it and stick with it better get some film of Barry and some stats. The guy was deadly. But I'll tell you it takes a ton of practice to take the strength and rotation "bias" out of your hands. The reason one hand J's wiped two handers off the map, is that there is less variables to contend with and hence you can reach a higher percentage faster.

I think guys that have trouble shooting FT's have two main problems - length of hands/fingers (Shaq, Rondo, Wilt), and just straight anxiety. The guys with structural issues should go right to underhand IMO. The anxiety guys need to be taught to relax. Sports shrinks could also be real helpful as well.

When I had a bad run a Coach taught me a trick. Shoot them with your eyes closed. The first few sucked, but after a bit the muscle memory takes over and they fall. Sometimes you have to make a game of it/change focus to get back on the rails.

The 'It's not manly' excuse may work for idiots like Shaq. But who would have DARED tease Shaq for shooting underhanded?

The object of the game is to help your team win.

Winning is extremely manly.

Gators123
08-17-2013, 09:27 PM
From Dumars interview with Grantland-

Besides hard work and practice, do you guys have Andre Drummond doing anything else to improve his free throw shooting?

When you are working with someone who has an issue with free throws, I think there are three things: One, you have to make sure the form is correct. His form is good. He doesn't have bad form. The other two things would apply to even the greatest free throw shooters that have ever played, and those are repetition and routine. For a kid like Dre, what we talk about is making sure you shoot with the same form every time — that repetition — and then having a routine. You can't get there and dribble three times, one time, four times, two times. You have to get a solid routine every time you step to the line.

Wait … did he actually change routines from free throw to free throw? I didn’t notice that!

Yeah, he was searching for routines. I joked with him, "Hey, Dre, this is probably not the time to be searching for a routine. You probably want to do that in the offseason, man.” Just get a routine, whatever it is.

He obviously needs to improve his FT's, but you would have told me FT shooting would be his biggest problem in his rookie season, I wouldn't have believed it. Most experts said he wouldn't be ready to play for 2-3 years. They thought he was going to be in the d-league last year.

bagwell368
08-17-2013, 09:30 PM
The 'It's not manly' excuse may work for idiots like Shaq. But who would have DARED tease Shaq for shooting underhanded?

I'm on your side, just giving the most likely reason.

RipCity32
08-17-2013, 09:32 PM
I was just going to say I think his form is pretty good. I know it doesn't have everything to do with it but I do think it is mostly the anxiety of him knowing everyone is talking bad about him at the line.

TheMightyHumph
08-17-2013, 09:37 PM
I'm on your side, just giving the most likely reason.

My post wasn't meant to attack you.

Sorry if you took it that way.

JNA17
08-17-2013, 11:43 PM
As Bagwell said, its because it makes the players feel that they would look "gay" (current hip slogan to say when someone does an body motion that other people find weird right?).

It's beyond stupid and arrogant and that kind of mindset prevents players like Shaq from becoming a truley dominate basketball player and not just a dominate athlete.

But what these kind of players fail to realize is that NOBODY AND I MEAN NOBODY is going to laugh at you for the way you shoot if you manage to make your shoots 80% or 90% of the time. Instead, those same people would actually be laughing at you BECAUSE of how awful you are at free throw shooting.

I really hope more players like Drummond consider more options to improve their basic fundamentals like free throw shooting through ANY MEANS. Whether it's shooting under-handed, one hand over or under, shooting with your eyes closed or shooting backwards (if its legal), and not worry about how it "looks".

Captain Moroni
08-18-2013, 12:28 AM
whatever works

bholly
08-18-2013, 01:57 AM

Everybody. It's not a question of whether or not people make fun of you, because they absolutely will, regardless of who you are. It's a question of whether or not you can take that.

JNA17
08-18-2013, 02:02 AM
Everybody. It's not a question of whether or not people make fun of you, because they absolutely will, regardless of who you are. It's a question of whether or not you can take that.

The thing with Shaq though is that he was also a joker. Weird that a guy like him can throw a vast amount of jokes and laughs but can't take any of the jokes like the way he shoots free throws.

TheMightyHumph
08-18-2013, 02:13 AM

You think Shaq's opponents wanted to anger him? Sounds dangerous.

TheMightyHumph
08-18-2013, 02:15 AM
The thing with Shaq though is that he was also a joker. Weird that a guy like him can throw a vast amount of jokes and laughs but can't take any of the jokes like the way he shoots free throws.

Shaq is a certified moron.

Actually, he reminds me somewhat of Wilt, in that the game was never really that important to him.

sunsfan88
08-18-2013, 04:05 AM
Where does he say that he won't shoot underhanded FTs? A letter asking him to shoot underhanded isn't the same as him saying he won't do it....

WadeKobe
08-18-2013, 07:11 AM

My god yes. This, this, with some more of this. Passing, sacrificing, rebounding, not shooting dumb shots. All these things help your team win. Winnginsmore manly than losing as a "hero".

MonroeFAN
08-18-2013, 07:14 AM
Sunsfan, it was on Andre's twitter.

KingstonHawke
08-20-2013, 11:22 PM

I used to hear about hand size being an issue all the time, but I don't think that's true. Take a girls ball and try to make your free throws without the ball touching the rim to compensate for the room in the rim, and if you were good to begin with you'll still be a good shooter. I've done it, and my sister who played for Albany U has tried it also.

I really think its a personality issue. Some people don't work, or don't work smart. Howard is a perfect example. He should've been begging Nash to help him, instead there were times when he'd look annoyed at Nash for bugging him. And he would constantly say he doesn't need to overhaul his motion, just to tweak it.

torocan
08-21-2013, 09:31 AM
Players will do anything to win in Basketball... except underhanded free throws.

Apparently not being teased is more important than winning games.

Personally, I'll be happy if we see a player step up and own the FT line shooting underhanded. Sure there will be some teasing, but folks will shut up pretty fast if they're shooting 85-90%.

KnicksorBust
08-21-2013, 09:56 AM
There is this misconception that shooting underhand is this magic remedy that would have Drummond up to 80% next season. It's going to take him a while to even get used to and if he's got good form already then ego will tell him to just keep doing what he's doing and he will improve naturally.

colinskik
08-21-2013, 10:01 AM
I think being the first person since Barry to shoot FTs underhand would actually be cool and give the player some recognition. I mean, a bunch of players (ie russel westbrook) essentially wear women's clothes in post game interviews, yet are concerned that shooting FTs underhanded would be a hit to their masculinity? Cmon, now.