PDA

View Full Version : the NBA will never return to Seattle

pupsingh
08-17-2013, 06:41 PM
After failing to acquire the Sacramento Kings, Chris Hansen decided to try and sabotage the arena efforts ( negotiated by David Stern and co. themselves) by donating $100K to an anti arena group in Sacramento. Think the NBA will look to kindly on this guy trying to ruin their $500+mill public subsidies? RIP Seattle Supersonics.

http://hangtime.blogs.nba.com/2013/08/17/chris-hansen-hurt-more-than-himself/

bholly
08-17-2013, 07:13 PM
lol, please. you're jumping a huge way to get to that conclusion. the very story you linked to even says so:

Ruin hopes in Seattle? Not even close. This doesn’t change the other facts: It is a great sports market with a proven level of support for the NBA and a corporate infrastructure few cities can match. If Hansen is not involved in whatever future bids may develop, there are plenty of other locals who are conversant in big business. And if Hansen is involved, perhaps enough owners shrug away the revelation as a simple misdemeanor of overreaching in the attempt to cover all the bases to close a deal potentially worth billions.

pupsingh
08-17-2013, 07:14 PM
fair enough, you are right. i should have said "hurts their chances significantly"

JLynn943
08-17-2013, 07:15 PM
As a Kings fan, I still hope Seattle gets an expansion team - I just hope Hansen has nothing to do with it. Congratulating Sacramento and then secretly funding efforts to sabotage them? Yeah. He's scum as far as I'm concerned.

alexander_37
08-17-2013, 07:19 PM
fair enough, you are right. i should have said "hurts their chances significantly"

Since when does not even close = significantly.

greg_ory_2005
08-17-2013, 09:52 PM
In the words of a famous, amazing Canadian, "never say never".

JNA17
08-18-2013, 12:07 AM
In the words of a famous Canadian woman, "never say never".

fixed. I mean, that canadian is a chick right?

I can almost guarantee that the Sonics will return. Just not this year. I was actually hoping that the Sonics would take the Kings team. California already has way man than enough teams in that state and the Kings are the least successful, least fan supported and talentless compared to the rest of the teams in California. As well as having the lesser history (although you could argue the Clippers in that one). To me, it also seemed the most logical choice.

JLynn943
08-18-2013, 12:31 AM
fixed. I mean, that canadian is a chick right?

I can almost guarantee that the Sonics will return. Just not this year. I was actually hoping that the Sonics would take the Kings team. California already has way man than enough teams in that state and the Kings are the least successful, least fan supported and talentless compared to the rest of the teams in California. As well as having the lesser history (although you could argue the Clippers in that one). To me, it also seemed the most logical choice.

luckily the NBA realized Sacramento gave the Kings historically great support and recognized that the city could support an NBA team and had a great plan to do so

TorontoHuskies
08-18-2013, 12:37 AM
Vancouver is more deserving of a team than Seattle (look at attendances compared to w/l records and you'll find Vancouver fans were way more loyal than Seattle fans).

JNA17
08-18-2013, 12:39 AM
Vancouver is more deserving of a team than Seattle (look at attendances compared to w/l records and you'll find Vancouver fans were way more loyal than Seattle fans).

I would love for Vancouver to come back. To this day, I still don't understand why they moved to Memphis.

TorontoHuskies
08-18-2013, 12:49 AM
I would love for Vancouver to come back. To this day, I still don't understand why they moved to Memphis.

They were run like **** it wasn't fair, they had 6 seasons without a win % above 28% and the NBA moved them to Memphis which ended up having worse attendances than Vancouver. The Canadian dollar is close what the US is now (unlike back then) so the NBA should give them their team back.

JNA17
08-18-2013, 12:53 AM
They were run like **** it wasn't fair, they had 6 seasons without a win % above 28% and the NBA moved them to Memphis which ended up had worse attendances than Vancouver. The Canadian dollar is close what the US is now (unlike back then) so the NBA should give them their team back.

Isn't the Canadian dollar already worth as much as the US dollar? Correct me if I'm wrong. (I'm planning to move to Canada soon so this would actually be good to know :D)

I mostly want Vancouver back because of the cool jerseys and the name actually made sense.

TorontoHuskies
08-18-2013, 12:57 AM
Isn't the Canadian dollar already worth as much as the US dollar? Correct me if I'm wrong. (I'm planning to move to Canada soon so this would actually be good to know :D)

I mostly want Vancouver back because of the cool jerseys and the name actually made sense.

It fluctuates it's been higher than the US recently but right now I think it's 3 cents below so you'd be able to buy thing over here for cheaper right now.

Pablonovi
08-18-2013, 01:32 AM
Since when does not even close = significantly.

Hey alexander,
I agree; this was at best both sloppy initial reporting AND not-up-to-the-task-at-hand correcting / re-wording.
Hey pupsingh, please do us a favor; and get the reporting at least fairly close to the facts; otherwise, you're (unintentionally or not) tricking us into wasting time coming here due to "sensationalizing" of a story.

As to the actual possibilities of Seattle (and Vancouver); I have the gut level reaction that, no matter how rich, a team-owner does NOT have the right to pull a team out of city - if he/she/they don't want to stay; then they should be forced to sell to someone who does. Otherwise, as has happened, it's the fans that get the royal screw-job.

If I was a Seattlite or Vancourerer I imagine I'd be nothing less than enraged over this crap.