PDA

View Full Version : Rockets are trying Dwight Howard at PF

GiantsSwaGG
08-17-2013, 07:22 AM
Rockets GM says team will experiment with Dwight Howard at power forward alongside Omer Asik at center
Brett Pollakoff Aug 16, 2013, 5:41 PM EDT
21 Comments

Getty Images
The Rockets have plenty of talent on the roster now that Dwight Howard is in place, so it makes sense that they’d experiment with their new toy as much as possible to find the most productive ways to utilize one of the best big men in the game.
It was thought by many initially that Omer Asik would be relegated to coming off the bench after the team secured Howard, because Dwight would seem to be best-suited to playing the center position. Asik certainly assumed as much, and initially was reported to want out of Houston shortly after Howard was acquired.
Howard’s skill set on both ends of the floor — protecting the rim and rebounding defensively, while working out of the post on offense — would suggest that he wouldn’t be as effective in a big lineup trying to defend power forwards, especially those who would be capable of playing the stretch-four position.
But especially in the early stages of training camp or the preseason, it doesn’t hurt to give it a shot.
From Rockets GM Daryl Morey, via Reddit:
Q: Daryl, how does Omer feel now about sharing the center position with Dwight? What sorts of conversations have McHale and you had in regards to potential concerns from both Omer and Dwight?
A: Omer would prefer to be a starter and is certainly a starter+ quality player. That said, he is a winner first & likes being on a winning team.
Q: Also, what are the chances we see Asik getting minutes as a power forward?
A: Coach McHale plans to experiment with Dwight at PF and Omer as C in training camp. If it works and helps us win, obviously we would look at using it.
There are very few teams (and lineups) that this pairing would seem to be beneficial against. But when you have a talent like Howard in place, it’s worth pursuing even the most unlikely of options.
Skip to Comments (21) Email
« NewerRaymond Felton says Paul Pierce ‘talking all this junk’ will boost Knicks-Nets rivalryOlder »Report: Celtics never seriously considered trading Rajon Rondo
Recommended

Report: In 2012, Magic had deal in place to trade Dwight Howard to the Rockets - ProBasketballTalk
Olajuwon describes Dwight Howard as “very raw” - ProBasketballTalk
Report: Celtics never seriously considered trading Rajon Rondo - ProBasketballTalk
Gia Allemand, girlfriend of Pelicans’ Ryan Anderson, dies of suicide at age 29 - ProBasketballTalk
Mitch Kupchak admits process of hiring Mike D’Antoni over Phil Jackson was ‘clumsy’ - ProBasketballTalk
More from the Web

http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/08/16/rockets-gm-says-team-will-experiment-with-dwight-howard-at-power-forward-alongside-omer-asik-at-center/

Will this work?

sunsfan88
08-17-2013, 08:23 AM
Pau and Dwight didn't work. Asik and Dwight will have better coaching so lets see.

Leftcoast_yg
08-17-2013, 08:26 AM
Pau and Dwight didn't work. Asik and Dwight will have better coaching so lets see.

Asik and Howard? That will be cute.....H-town the new hollywood drama minus the big city.

YoungOne
08-17-2013, 08:27 AM
Lol

xxplayerxx23
08-17-2013, 08:30 AM
Asik and Howard? That will be cute.....H-town the new hollywood drama minus the big city.

Poor bitter fan I feel bad for you :cry:

xxplayerxx23
08-17-2013, 08:30 AM
Howard could play PF IMO

Badluck33
08-17-2013, 08:32 AM
Why not Asik at PF?

Minimal
08-17-2013, 08:35 AM
At PF you need a guy who can spread the floor from time to time, especially when you have a player like James Harden, 2 guys staying under the basket majority of time in this case, I don't see it working.

Leftcoast_yg
08-17-2013, 08:47 AM
Poor bitter fan I feel bad for you :cry:

Not bitter at all lame just realistic, idiotic poster. Reality isn't Nba2k :keep dreaming:

Leftcoast_yg
08-17-2013, 08:48 AM
At PF you need a guy who can spread the floor from time to time, especially when you have a player like James Harden, 2 guys staying under the basket majority of time in this case, I don't see it working.

Dee eye tee tee oh

Goose17
08-17-2013, 09:41 AM
Not going to work.

Robbw241
08-17-2013, 09:44 AM
Houston would be idiotic to do it. Just have Asik off the bench so you could have a rim protector at all times.

-Kobe24-TJ19-
08-17-2013, 09:45 AM
lmao good luck rockets

Sandman
08-17-2013, 09:45 AM
Dwight and Horford two of the best centers in the league

both of their dads say PF is their natural position and have been saying they want them to move back there to improve longevity

Chronz
08-17-2013, 10:40 AM
Well Dwight did start off as a PF. And those 2 will be beastly on defense at the least. These lineups will feature heavy post ups just because the 2 of them will cramp the lane for the perimeter guys but its certainly a good option to throw at times once in awhile.

I see them starting together then taking them out at the 6 minute mark so that Asik can get the backup Center minutes.

ldawg
08-17-2013, 10:42 AM
Is Howard a big decoy

Hawkeye15
08-17-2013, 11:09 AM
Well Dwight did start off as a PF. And those 2 will be beastly on defense at the least. These lineups will feature heavy post ups just because the 2 of them will cramp the lane for the perimeter guys but its certainly a good option to throw at times once in awhile.

I see them starting together then taking them out at the 6 minute mark so that Asik can get the backup Center minutes.

It's the only way it would work, because neither can do anything outside 4 feet. They will just be lane cloggers if they play together too much.

I think it's a failed experiment, and Morey is just buying time until Asik's trade value brings in something.

EL_MACHETE
08-17-2013, 12:25 PM
Well only time will tell

mjt20mik
08-17-2013, 12:27 PM
Dwights offensive game is way too limited to be effective at the 4.

IKnowHoops
08-17-2013, 01:09 PM
If they get those two guys the ball a lot down low in there spots it will work fine. The offense needs to go through there big men.

Bruno
08-17-2013, 01:15 PM
if they can suffocate their opponents defensively with this, McHale will roll with it. if they can't, they won't; the offense will suffer.

Bruno
08-17-2013, 01:18 PM
If they get those two guys the ball a lot down low in there spots it will work fine. The offense needs to go through there big men.

The offense should be ran through and facilitated by James Harden, with the trust that he will make it a priority to get them involved every single game. McHale will give Harden the ball and trust that hell develop a nice 1-2 punch with Howard. Harden will lead the Rockets in FGA per game, no doubt about it.

BenFrank
08-17-2013, 01:30 PM
I only see them playing together, when there playing a big line-up team like the Griz, Asik will come off the bench for the most part, and there will be a battle in camp for the PF position.. which I expect T. Jones to win

PurpleLynch
08-17-2013, 01:54 PM
This experiment can only work on the defensive end,but when you need it.Why?Because on offense this would be a huge failure,unless Howard develops a jumpshot and a freethrow shoot:not likely to happen in my humnle opinion. Better to get Asik in the 2nd unit,to mantain good defense for all four quarters.

still1ballin
08-17-2013, 02:06 PM
Yes! Yes! Yes! DO it!

tripleplay2007
08-17-2013, 02:22 PM

Houston is actually the 4th biggest city in the US, Los Angeles is bigger but Houston is pretty damn big.

ChiSox219
08-17-2013, 02:26 PM
Asik and Taj Gibson was such a powerful defensive tandem that it outweighed their lack of range. They were holding opponents to under 80 points per 100 possessions, I think Dwight/Asik would be even better on both ends.

tr3ymill3r
08-17-2013, 02:50 PM
Does the name of the position matter? If both Asik and Howard can develop decent mid range jumper from the free throw line and short corner they will be just fine. Howard is not 7'0" he's closer to 6'9" or 6'10" with shoes on, therefore if he played 10 years ago he would have been drafted as a PF. He's always been the biggest and most athletic guy so he hasn't had to develop a jumper, but if Blake Griffin is able to play PF then Dwight should have no problems.

Guppyfighter
08-17-2013, 02:53 PM
HE answered this in the reddit ama. Hilarious that ESPN is relaying information from ****ing reddit.

"We are trying to play them together, but if it doesn't work we won't use it."

ldawg
08-17-2013, 03:02 PM
its comical on Howards part. You tell me he left Orlando his team to be a big decoy in Houston?

Sevilla91
08-17-2013, 03:11 PM
Rockets will have the worst free throw % in the league!

MrfadeawayJB
08-17-2013, 03:15 PM
Will work on defense, not on offense. With the lane clogged it would hurt the drive and kick game Houston loves

TrueFan420
08-17-2013, 03:15 PM
The problem is neither have a great post up game or jump shot. Both are great defensively and offensively limited (they dunk). Yu won't score in the post but they won't either without some good coaching. And if you bring a stretch 4 then it will pull one out the post. It's worth a shot but I have a feeling asik will be moved at the deadline.

TheNumber37
08-17-2013, 03:19 PM
It could only work if one of them was a great passer. Neither is as good as a passer as Gasol, so there's no way it works. They also don't have enough shooting arounf the pair to makit it work. They need to just run the damn triangle.

IndyRealist
08-17-2013, 03:29 PM
Houston is actually the 4th biggest city in the US, Los Angeles is bigger but Houston is pretty damn big.

Houston's back and forth with Chicago for 3rd, actually. The economy has really hit the Midwest hard.

Howard at PF is not substantially different than what the Grizzlies and Pacers do. While West and Randolph can step out to 16ft or so, the majority of their offense is low post with the other big playing high post.

lol, please
08-17-2013, 03:30 PM
It won't work.

Against the mighty Warriors.

(Just for Htownballa and alexander.)

ILLUSIONIST^248
08-17-2013, 03:34 PM
http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/08/16/rockets-gm-says-team-will-experiment-with-dwight-howard-at-power-forward-alongside-omer-asik-at-center/

Will this work?Lol, Dwight can't play a position that requires scoring.

lol, please
08-17-2013, 03:47 PM
Lol, Dwight can't play a position that requires scoring.

:laugh2:

shep33
08-17-2013, 03:55 PM
I think this is a terrible idea. Just trade asik for a pf.

Prepare for a zone every night if that's who you're playing at the pf and center spots.

Also if you're an opposing coach why not alternate between hacking Dwight and Asik?

TrueFan420
08-17-2013, 03:59 PM
Howard at PF is not substantially different than what the Grizzlies and Pacers do. While West and Randolph can step out to 16ft or so, the majority of their offense is low post with the other big playing high post.

The difference isn't just that they can step out and hit a short face up shot but they can back someone down and score. Neither Howard or asik are as good in the post as west or Randolph. Their not as good passers either.

MrfadeawayJB
08-17-2013, 04:02 PM

The difference isn't just that they can step out and hit a short face up shot but they can back someone down and score. Neither Howard or asik are as good in the post as west or Randolph. Their not as good passers either.

Yup. Grizz bigs are good passers, low post scorers, and both van hit mid range jumpers regularly.

jerellh528
08-17-2013, 04:18 PM
Dwight at PF? If dwight b1tched about dantoni's system, he's going to absolutely hate this. Plus it wont work out.

ldawg
08-17-2013, 04:21 PM
it wont work. Its funny that Houston thinks of Howard as a big decoy. Way to work the post Howard. LOL next time you open your big mouth of wanting to work in the post find some post move first.

ldawg
08-17-2013, 04:22 PM
He is sign now they can do with him what they want get use to the pick and Roll Howard.

5ass
08-17-2013, 04:27 PM
I dont like it. Its going to hurt Howard and Harden offensively. They're much better off with Ryan Anderson.

MagicBucsSox
08-17-2013, 04:31 PM
Why are they trying to please Asik?

SportsFanatic10
08-17-2013, 04:32 PM
they'll be pretty good on defense, although howard might have some trouble with some of the quicker power forwards who can spread the floor shooting outside the paint. i don't see it working on offense to well though. they both need to be very close to the rim in order to score, i think their spacing will suffer with this lineup.

jerellh528
08-17-2013, 04:32 PM
they sign the best center in the nba to play him as one of the worst pfs offensively in the nba?

BenFrank
08-17-2013, 04:36 PM
From everyone's reaction, it seems like people took this as Howard will start at the 4, and Asik at the 5..

I will say this again.. I highly doubt Asik and Howard would spend much time on the court together

gwrighter
08-17-2013, 04:38 PM
Not gonna work. Dwight's not a play maker and Asik's lack of an offensive game is going to allow the opposing C to cheat and clog the lane. They need a stretch 4/5 to play beside Dwight like Jones or Donatas.

Chronz
08-17-2013, 04:39 PM
Is Howard a big decoy
What does this even mean?

WadeKobe
08-17-2013, 04:41 PM
It will likely be for around 20 minutes a game.

There are 48 minutes at the fe get position and you have two very good centers who, together, will be able to play 70ish.

If they can find a way to make it work, this will make them a super dominant team.

jerellh528
08-17-2013, 04:42 PM

Is howard one of the following?

Definition of DECOY

: a pond into which wildfowl are lured for capture
: someone or something used to lure or lead another into a trap; especially : an artificial bird used to attract live birds within shot
: someone or something used to draw attention away from another

FOBolous
08-17-2013, 04:52 PM

Definition of DECOY

: someone or something used to lure or lead another into a trap; especially : an artificial bird used to attract live birds within shot

no. cause him, along with Harden, will be the focal point of Houston's offense....just like how Howard was the focal point on the Orlando team that reached the NBA finals.

Clippersfan86
08-17-2013, 04:56 PM

Houston's actually by far the biggest. At least when you go by LBS.

Chronz
08-17-2013, 04:58 PM

Definition of DECOY

?

Clippersfan86
08-17-2013, 04:58 PM
Does the name of the position matter? If both Asik and Howard can develop decent mid range jumper from the free throw line and short corner they will be just fine. Howard is not 7'0" he's closer to 6'9" or 6'10" with shoes on, therefore if he played 10 years ago he would have been drafted as a PF. He's always been the biggest and most athletic guy so he hasn't had to develop a jumper, but if Blake Griffin is able to play PF then Dwight should have no problems.

Makes absolutely zero sense, the Blake/Dwight comparison. Dwight doesn't have anywhere near the passing, ballhandling, quickness, first step or shooting ability of Blake. So it's bogus to say "If Blake can play PF Dwight can" when in actuality they have entirely different skill sets. They aren't alike in any way, shape or form besides the fact that they are elite athletes and love to dunk. Dwight is much longer, a dominant defensive anchor and better at getting to the line but he doesn't have the skills to play PF anymore. Sure as a young 240 pound player in year one or two he did but now he's too big, too slow on his feet.

Chronz
08-17-2013, 05:00 PM
U people do realize Asik wound up having Greg Smith as his front court starter right?

It made life harder on everyone else but its not like Dwight still won't be a huge upgrade on that.

rockets-fan
08-17-2013, 05:02 PM
I don't like it, but if Morey says it'll work, then I trust him...I'm not doubting the man anymore, he's a genius

Shlumpledink
08-17-2013, 05:06 PM
That will be fun. Dwight Howard will make a great floor spacer for Asik

Clippersfan86
08-17-2013, 05:08 PM
As other's have said it will NOT work offensively, trust me. Both are liabilities at scoring outside of 5 feet pretty much. Defensively it will be nowhere near as good as people are saying either. Sure interior defense will be legendary but Dwight isn't stepping out and chasing the Griffin's, Aldridge's, Dirk's, Lee's, Zbo's etc on the perimeter in the face up game or midrange jumper. Too many quick and versatile PF's right now that Dwight has no chance of guarding consistently.

So interior defense wise, elite. Defensive outside of the paint guarding 4's likely to be very mediocre. Offense going to be flat out atrocious between them both clogging the paint stepping on each other's toes. I say this lasts 10 games tops.

BALLER R
08-17-2013, 05:14 PM
It would work if Howard had a better offensive game.

Bruno
08-17-2013, 05:20 PM
I think this is a terrible idea. Just trade asik for a pf.

Prepare for a zone every night if that's who you're playing at the pf and center spots.

Also if you're an opposing coach why not alternate between hacking Dwight and Asik?

good point. i think they'll anticipate this and see if their shooters can effectively bust those zones. they have the shooters, but if they aren't consistent and teams are hacking both of them to the line then it's not gona be the best approach for them.

Sly Guy
08-17-2013, 05:37 PM

this. One of them has to have outside touch to make it work.

Htownballa1622
08-17-2013, 06:30 PM
It won't work.

Against the mighty Warriors.

(Just for Htownballa and alexander.)

Lol. Nice try. I'm in Colombia right now. Nothing you can say can get to me :p

RLundi
08-17-2013, 06:37 PM

So uninformed.

Ezekial
08-17-2013, 08:06 PM
So uninformed.

Houston is LARGER in sq miles than LA AND 4th in population in the country, not to mention it's up there in growth the past few years.

People are ignorant, I agree.

topdog
08-17-2013, 08:35 PM
I don't think it will work and it sounds like they are just trying it because they don't have a power forward of Asik's caliber and want to put out the best starting lineup.

To me, it's a recipe for a lot of rebounds and blocks, but a lot of fouls and a very crowded lane.

PraiseJesus
08-17-2013, 08:41 PM
I thought PFs had to be offensive threats?

TheMightyHumph
08-17-2013, 08:49 PM
Just doesn't seem like a sound idea

Hustla23
08-17-2013, 10:07 PM
If Houston was smart, they'd try to do everything they can to get Ryan Anderson.

RollingWave
08-17-2013, 10:18 PM
It really depend on how they do it , I think it would have enough issues to be risky as a primary lineup, but almost anything can work in 5 min stretches in the NBA. especially in the regular season.

Defensively, I know nobody here actually watched the rockets at all last year, but Asik was already chasing around Dirk / LMA or any other team where the center is vastly lower offensive threat than the PF. there's little reason to think that he can't do that relatively effectively, most of the true threat PFs are not guys who's blazing fast , sure, if the other team goes very small then he might not keep up, but then that's why you have other lineups.

here are some example of Asik still dominating much smaller guys when being switched on
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=svkYrt0sT8k

and here's him rejecting Kevin Love in iso

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lo5hPhUqKow

you'd figure if he can guard Love, he probably can guard most 4s.

Offensively it's a lot more tricky, though I love how people say that neither can hit a jumper, when Dwight hit 40% of his mid range in the 10-11 season, and he took over 100 of them so it's not a tiny sample size. neither of them are ideal at it, but it's funny that people think that NBA players can't hit a open J if the opposing team is going to just not guard them.

It's enough of a worry that if teams game plan for this lineup that it might have problems, but I think they should totally try it at least.

As for hacking, don't you see the irony here? if your worry about this configuration is spacing, wouldn't hacking just give you what you want? aka remove your offensive spacing question altogether? they're always going to have one of those guys out there anyway. having 2 really doesn't make it any worse, if Dwight continues to shoot under 50% it's going to be a problem, but that's true regardless of pairing Asik with him or not.

So essentially my conclusion is that it probably can work as long as this isn't the main bigs lineup they go to all the time.

TheMightyHumph
08-17-2013, 10:24 PM
If Houston was smart, they'd try to do everything they can to get Ryan Anderson.

That would take Lin or Asik, Parsons and Beverley, and maybe a 1st rdr and cash, if Pelicans FO is thinking straight

GiantsSwaGG
08-17-2013, 11:36 PM
I thought PFs had to be offensive threats?

Reggie Evans

jerellh528
08-17-2013, 11:47 PM
Houston is LARGER in sq miles than LA AND 4th in population in the country, not to mention it's up there in growth the past few years.

People are ignorant, I agree.

To be almost 200 miles larger and yet have about 2 million less people makes Houston not really comparable to Los Angeles as far as a city is concerned. Larger land mass yet less people = less of a metropolis.

TheMightyHumph
08-17-2013, 11:56 PM
Reggie Evans

Bench player

astrosmaniac
08-18-2013, 12:21 AM
To be almost 200 miles larger and yet have about 2 million less people makes Houston not really comparable to Los Angeles as far as a city is concerned. Larger land mass yet less people = less of a metropolis.
it's still a ****ing big city. which was the point. the guy said minus the big city, which is totally wrong.

jerellh528
08-18-2013, 12:45 AM
it's still a ****ing big city. which was the point. the guy said minus the big city, which is totally wrong.

It's A big city yeah, but when you say the big city you mean la on the west coast and ny on the east, so I get where both you guys are coming from

NBA-GMaster
08-18-2013, 05:18 AM
Interesting!! but still Dwight will always play center and Asik will play PF if these 2 start..

ldawg
08-18-2013, 08:17 AM
Reggie EvansI was thinking the same thing. I dont know how well this will sit with howard but it funny a third team sees him as that kind of player and not the one he sees himself as. Howard did not want to do the dirty work in Orlando or in LA i find it hard he would like it in Houston and on top of that move to pf. But hey he has signed the dotted line now so he can complain just got to put up and shut up. If he ***** about a third team one he chose it will be all him not the team.

ldawg
08-18-2013, 08:33 AM
Interesting!! but still Dwight will always play center and Asik will play PF if these 2 start..nope. Asik is to big and slow it has to be Howard

D-Leethal
08-18-2013, 12:45 PM
Disaster waiting to happen. How do they expect Harden to thrive in the dribble drive game with two behemoths and their respective defenders clogging the paint?

ldawg
08-18-2013, 01:05 PM
Like some of the Rockets fans suggested Should had just get an All-star PF instead of Howard. But now that they have Howard a more marketable player they should now trade Asik for that Power Forward.

D-Leethal
08-18-2013, 01:23 PM
Like some of the Rockets fans suggested Should had just get an All-star PF instead of Howard. But now that they have Howard a more marketable player they should now trade Asik for that Power Forward.

I really thought we were going to see a Asik for Josh Smith S & T this offseason.

Clippersfan86
08-18-2013, 01:43 PM
Re-unite Anderson with D12 and we can talk about a ring possibly. I don't see it with a duo of Asik+Howard. There is no flow on either end of the floor to that. PF's will pull Dwight out of the paint which will ruin the entire defensive scheme they want to have. Then on defense teams will just pack the paint since they don't have to guard the bigs outside of the paint.

king4day
08-18-2013, 01:50 PM
I think it'd work better if they had someone like Ryan Anderson to spread the floor. Neither can shoot so how will this ever work on offense?

king4day
08-18-2013, 01:52 PM
Re-unite Anderson with D12 and we can talk about a ring possibly. I don't see it with a duo of Asik+Howard. There is no flow on either end of the floor to that. PF's will pull Dwight out of the paint which will ruin the entire defensive scheme they want to have. Then on defense teams will just pack the paint since they don't have to guard the bigs outside of the paint.

Perfectly said. This will be their problem if they play both at the same time.

Clippersfan86
08-18-2013, 02:02 PM

Like I said in an earlier post if they do it for 5 minute stretches to bang teams up and change momentum it will work well I'm sure but it CANNOT be a sustained, full time thing. Or they WILL get exposed badly IMO.

Bruno
08-18-2013, 02:02 PM

With Anderson, Harden, and Parsons spreading the floor this might create a scenario where Dwight can not be doubled. maybe he can develop a substantial post game without cheating defensive wings derailing his in game progress.

IversonIsKrazy
08-18-2013, 04:48 PM
Honestly, PF or C not much a difference. I mean what if a guy like Bargnani or Ryan Anderson play C alongside Dwight PF? Nice fit. Really makes no difference, but I'm assuming they're saying this so him & Asik can play together, which I do NOT like at all. Offense, absolutely no space. And defense, any versatile big who can play around perimeter will tear them apart.

smiddy012
08-18-2013, 04:58 PM
No way in hell do I expect them to keep Asik past the trade deadline. That would be way too stupid.

There is no way DH/Asik works. Neither has proven shooting capabilities. And DH will have trouble with stretch 4s. They're both about as prototypical as centers get.

GiantsSwaGG
08-18-2013, 05:01 PM
Bench player

He wasn't last year