PDA

View Full Version : Is Mutombo more of a commercial success now that hes retired?

Chronz
08-15-2013, 06:47 PM
http://www.nicekicks.com/2013/08/12/adidas-originals-house-of-mutombo-episode-2-the-courts/

Im loving this mini series by Adidas, they are bringing back the OG Mutombos (http://www.sneakerpedia.com/sneakers/737).

My only question is, was Mutombo this big back in the 90's? Mutombo has quite a few hilarious/interesting commercials nowadays, I cant even recall a single commercial he was in during his playing days. Which is odd because the man is really likable as a human/comedian/brand. So my question is this, why did it take so long to tap the Mutombo market.

That or have I smoked the 90's culture out of memory ?

el hidalgo
08-15-2013, 06:56 PM
http://www.nicekicks.com/2013/08/12/adidas-originals-house-of-mutombo-episode-2-the-courts/

Im loving this mini series by Adidas, they are bringing back the OG Mutombos (http://www.sneakerpedia.com/sneakers/737).

My only question is, was Mutombo this big back in the 90's? Mutombo has quite a few hilarious/interesting commercials nowadays, I cant even recall a single commercial he was in during his playing days. Which is odd because the man is really likable as a human/comedian/brand. So my question is this, why did it take so long to tap the Mutombo market.

That or have I smoked the 90's culture out of memory ?

Hogwash. Weed only helps the brain IMO. Only things you won't remember are a few things here and there when you're super baked.

DreamShaker
08-15-2013, 07:31 PM
There were just so many other guys they focused on. Larry Johnson, MJ, Barkley, Penny, Shaq, and recently retired guys like Bird and Magic. Plus you had guys from other sports like Deion, Emmitt, Gretzsky, Griffey, Bo Jackson, Agassi...they were just overflowing with marketable stars, much more than now. Plus, I think Dikembe has become more beloved after his charity work has amped up so much. But it is odd that it has taken this long. Dude is super charismatic.

tredigs
08-15-2013, 07:55 PM
I mean he doesn't speak great english, so that's obviously going to turn off a lot of potential advertising, but he was definitely lauded for his humanitarianism by the NBA during his career. And his finger had enough swag to create a new technical foul. I definitely know that opponents hated him for that, and also for the fact that he injured like 3 dozen All Stars with those elbows.

He was one of the best characters in the NBA though, it's funny seeing him get more attention now.

Hawkeye15
08-15-2013, 08:07 PM
the media attention in general has grown so much. Everyone has a commercial now. If a player falls down in his shower, it hits twitter in 3 seconds. It's the new America. Deke happened to have a very signature signal with the finger wave, and he is capitalizing on it now.

Dankster
08-15-2013, 08:28 PM
I saw Mutombo's entire career since his rookie season and he definitely wasn't as popular back than as he is now. I think some of that is due to the fact he played during an era where he was never considered any better than the 4th or 5th best center in the league. Hakeem-Patrick- Shaq (from 92 1 year after Mutombo's inaugural year in the league) and possibly Zo Mourning were all considered better than Dikembe throughout his career.

Funny guy though, I like the commercial with him swatting shots in the supermarket. Good stuff.

kdspurman
08-15-2013, 08:29 PM
Dag I forgot about those sneakers lol... That's cool they're bringing em' back.

I agree with Hawkeye though, it's just the new America. People got a kick out of his Geico commercial, it was huge on social networking. So I think now people are seeing how marketable and entertaining he could be.

This is the only commercial I found of his back in 93 and it doesn't even show him lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f_9lesVpXhU

Chronz
08-15-2013, 10:27 PM
I mean he doesn't speak great english, so that's obviously going to turn off a lot of potential advertising
Has his English improved or what else changed? I actually think the way he talks endears him to people.

Hawks right about the media, I guess thats the biggest change. Webisodes and all

arlubas
08-16-2013, 02:15 AM
Has his English improved or what else changed? I actually think the way he talks endears him to people.
This. Back in the 90s people were trying to find the most appealing and accessible stars. Nowadays that we've seen everything, the exotic nature of Mutombo's personality has made him more marketable than his playing days.

On another note he ain't the only one getting his sneaker re-released. With the sneaker game becoming more and more popular, we've seen a lot of signature shoes of past stars returning. Swizz Beats resurrected Reebok which retroed the Shaq Attaq, Shaqnosis, AI's line and the Kamikaze II. Then Fila returned with Grant Hill's and Jerry Stackhouse's ones and Adidas has also joined in on the fun going back to some 90s releases of theirs including some of Kobe's shoes or the Real Deals. I ain't even including Nike 'cause they have been retroing shoes for quite a while now.

People have just gone retro-happy lately and me being a 90s kid ain't complaining one bit.

asandhu23
08-16-2013, 02:23 AM
the media attention in general has grown so much. Everyone has a commercial now. If a player falls down in his shower, it hits twitter in 3 seconds. It's the new America. Deke happened to have a very signature signal with the finger wave, and he is capitalizing on it now.

Really, Hawkeye? Why do you always have the old man complaining about the world changing attitude about everything?

MTar786
08-16-2013, 04:21 AM
shaq, robinson, hakeem, ewing, mourning, and mutombo in the 90's wowowowowowow

those 6 are better than even our current best center in the league lol

Chronz
08-16-2013, 10:45 AM
Really, Hawkeye? Why do you always have the old man complaining about the world changing attitude about everything?

But something has to have changed for him to get bigger post retirement.... right?

Maybe its a generation of fans that grew to love Mutombo or we have figured out the best way to market him (with humor) that wouldn't have sold back then because we didn't know jack about him yet.

Yeah come to think of it, thats prolly it

asandhu23
08-17-2013, 09:00 AM
But something has to have changed for him to get bigger post retirement.... right?

Maybe its a generation of fans that grew to love Mutombo or we have figured out the best way to market him (with humor) that wouldn't have sold back then because we didn't know jack about him yet.

Yeah come to think of it, thats prolly it

no no. Follow his posts in politics or general discussions and you will see what i am talking. Everything bad from this generation according to him is either "liberal brainwashing of kids", "liberal pussification of America" or "damned hippies ruining this once great nation".