PDA

View Full Version : Is the Atlantic division on it's way to being as bad as 2006?

Vampirate
08-15-2013, 11:39 AM
I pose this question because simply, Philidelphia, Boston are going to be terrible, Toronto is soon going to be trading most of it's best players to truly rebuild.

Both New York and Brooklyn probably have a few years before they need to seriously rebuild (not including free agency because you can't predict that)

So is the Atlantic division on the course of being almost as bad, as bad, or worse than it was in 2006?

KnickaBocka.44
08-15-2013, 11:47 AM
I pose this question because simply, Philidelphia, Boston are going to be terrible, Toronto is soon going to be trading most of it's best players to truly rebuild.

Both New York and Brooklyn probably have a few years before they need to seriously rebuild (not including free agency because you can't predict that)

So is the Atlantic division on the course of being almost as bad, as bad, or worse than it was in 2006?

No. The Raptors are in rebuild mode already, they have a few nice young players. They are in better shape than the 6ers and C's as of now.

The Knicks cap is almost completely clear in 2015 so they will be able to attract some nice players as well.

The only team really in trouble for the future is the Nets, but don't try telling their fans that.

D-Leethal
08-15-2013, 11:59 AM
I think its definitely been worse since 2006 than it is this year. There were years there was literally 1 team that was over .500. At least this year your guaranteed to have 2 and possibly 3 with TO.

arlubas
08-15-2013, 11:59 AM
The only team really in trouble for the future is the Nets, but don't try telling their fans that.
They traded for the Truth and KG, I think everyone knows they are in win now mode. The only future they care about is the direct one.

elledaddy
08-15-2013, 12:22 PM
I dont think Boston is gonna be that bad actually. The only team I would worry about is Philly. As far as the future go, it should be bright. Philly,Boston and Toronto are all young and should grow and The NY teams will only reload not rebuild

Vampirate
08-15-2013, 12:23 PM
No. The Raptors are in rebuild mode already, they have a few nice young players. They are in better shape than the 6ers and C's as of now.

The Knicks cap is almost completely clear in 2015 so they will be able to attract some nice players as well.

Actually don't be surprised is Masai starts to trade Rudy, Derozan and co except for Jonas for picks, by the end of the year it could be a completely different looking team.

Also I said 'free agency aside' because you can either strike out or hit a home run, can't predict it.

I think its definitely been worse since 2006 than it is this year. There were years there was literally 1 team that was over .500. At least this year your guaranteed to have 2 and possibly 3 with TO.

Keep in mind, i'm asking if the division is heading that way, which not only includes this year but in a few years as well. Do eventually see the Atlantic being as bad as it was in 2006 a few years from now?

HouRealCoach
08-15-2013, 12:26 PM
C's have a shitload of picks, 76ers have picks also and 2014 Draft is said to be a DEEP draft, Knicks and BK will have Deron, JJ, & Brook for years to come and as long as they are there, they will make the playoffs. Knicks will either keep their core or lose everyone all at once and get a fresh start through FA... Don't think it's all that bad

JasonJohnHorn
08-15-2013, 12:29 PM
No. New York and Brooklyn are both playoff teams, so right there that is already more playoff teams than the Atlantic Division had in 2006. Plus, both the NEts and the Knicks may get 50+ wins, so that wil be more 50 win teams thant the Atlantic had in 2006. The 76ers aren't awful. They had a bad year last season for obvious reasons. This year they picked up Nerlens who is the best player in the draft, so if he is healthy he may be a leigt franchise player in the NBA. And they picked up MCW in the draft this year, who is the biggest point guard since Magic Johnson or Penny Hardaway... he has some serious potential. Considering that they also get NO's pick next season and their own, they will likely be a playoff team with great potential in 2015.

Boston has loaded up on picks and they still have some great trade pieces to go along with some promising young talent.

This year the Knicks and Nets are playoff teams for sure and other teams in the division are going to be steadily improving. Hopefully with a GM that actually knows what he's doing the Raptors will also be looking to improve.

So no, I don't expect the division to be as bad as they were in 2006.

KnickaBocka.44
08-15-2013, 12:41 PM
Actually don't be surprised is Masai starts to trade Rudy, Derozan and co except for Jonas for picks, by the end of the year it could be a completely different looking team.

Also I said 'free agency aside' because you can either strike out or hit a home run, can't predict it.

Keep in mind, i'm asking if the division is heading that way, which not only includes this year but in a few years as well. Do eventually see the Atlantic being as bad as it was in 2006 a few years from now?

You can't predict player development or injury either, if you want to split hairs. Fact of the matter is NY is a big market that is now out of the competitive sewer and they won't have a hard time attracting players (not predicting who), so there is no reason to think they will slip.

I'm not a Rudy fan, but DeRozan showed some promise last year and I honestly just can't see the Raptors scrapping their rebuilding project so soon, especially since they finally traded Bargs.

todu82
08-15-2013, 12:52 PM
I think Boston's going to be down for a year or 2 and then come storming back and be amongst the class of the division. Brooklyn could be in trouble when Garnett and Pierce retire. Intrigued with what happens with Toronto, they've teased a return to respectable basketball for the couple seasons but always end up disappointing. I think Philly could be dormant for a few years and New York looks to be the class of the division for the foreseeable future.

Chill_Will_24
08-15-2013, 12:59 PM
The Nets thanks to the BOS deal have cleared room for 2016 when they will be looking at guys like Love and Durant. I would say they have a decent chance at one of those guys ;)

elledaddy
08-15-2013, 01:01 PM

Cant see how you can make a thread based soley ON predictictions then write that we cant " predict Free agency". You did that because it wouldnt help your arguement. Why do people make threads with a question, but have an angle or agenda behind it? You should have started the thread with " I BELEIVE" the atlantic blah blah blah, then asked if people agree or disagree. You write the Knicks and Nets would have to rebuild in a few years,fans point out the the Knicks would basically have 100% cap room, then you say " we cant predict FA". Then whats the point of predicting the future if you're taking away one of the MOST important ways of improving a team? Just my 2cents

elledaddy
08-15-2013, 01:09 PM
The Nets thanks to the BOS deal have cleared room for 2016 when they will be looking at guys like Love and Durant. I would say they have a decent chance at one of those guys ;)

You guys would miss out on K Love. He's a great bet to opt out after next season 14-15

All-In
08-15-2013, 01:34 PM

Where are you getting your information from??? Post a link please of this “Raptors re-rebuild”….Raptors starting 5 Lowry(27), DeRozan(24), Gay(26), Val(21), Amir(26)…that’s a darn good young nucleus…they just got Tyler Hans and Novak…finished 4gms out of 8th last year……just from a basketball prospective it wouldn’t make any sense for them to trade everyone and re-rebuild and yes be surprised if that happen…that’s why I need a link

Vampirate
08-15-2013, 01:50 PM
Where are you getting your information from??? Post a link please of this “Raptors re-rebuild”….Raptors starting 5 Lowry(27), DeRozan(24), Gay(26), Val(21), Amir(26)…that’s a darn good young nucleus…they just got Tyler Hans and Novak…finished 4gms out of 8th last year……just from a basketball prospective it wouldn’t make any sense for them to trade everyone and re-rebuild and yes be surprised if that happen…that’s why I need a link

That's just a general sense Raptor fans are getting, not 100% sure it's going to happen but the ceiling for this bunch isn't very high. Also, Rudy makes a stupid amount for what he contributes to the team. Everyone else isn't capable of leading the raptors far into the playoffs, well maybe Jonas but who really knows.

Also, this is pretty much one of those years you tank for the draft.

Don't forget, we have a new GM who inherited this bunch from our previous GM who made underachieving teams. I get the feeling Masai is going to wait till the players raise their trade value and then ship them off for the best possible deal.

Captain Moroni
08-15-2013, 03:10 PM
NY and BKN have each other to push them to contend every year now. A fun rivalry in the making. Both will continue to attract veteran talent and retool.
Toronto is getting close to being a viable franchise again and Never count Boston out.

Not sure exactly what Philly is doing.

Captain Moroni
08-15-2013, 03:16 PM
The Southeast is pretty weak.
Outside Miami, your next best team is Atlanta? That is pathetic.
Wiz are climbing but not quite good yet, Orlando is still trying to recover from that D12 saga, and Charlotte might be the worst team in the NBA

Central-Outside Chicago and Indy, the Bucks, Pistons, and Cav's are building but not winners yet.

In the west,
Clips and Warriors head a weak division with LAL, Sac, and the Suns.
OKC and Memphis are tough, but Utah, Portland and Minny are awful.

D-Leethal
08-15-2013, 03:41 PM

Love is a FA in 2015, no?

C_Mund
08-15-2013, 03:57 PM

But if the Sixers get Wiggins or Parker don't they automatically jump up in stock?

Legendary33
08-15-2013, 05:38 PM
That's just a general sense Raptor fans are getting, not 100% sure it's going to happen but the ceiling for this bunch isn't very high. Also, Rudy makes a stupid amount for what he contributes to the team. Everyone else isn't capable of leading the raptors far into the playoffs, well maybe Jonas but who really knows.

Also, this is pretty much one of those years you tank for the draft.

Don't forget, we have a new GM who inherited this bunch from our previous GM who made underachieving teams. I get the feeling Masai is going to wait till the players raise their trade value and then ship them off for the best possible deal.

The general sense that Raptors fans are getting is actually the complete opposite. The off-season moves haven't exactly shown evidence of us heading into tanking and it wouldn't make sense. I do believe trades are coming for the team but they're not going to be for picks like everyone thinks. We're here to win this year.

dalton749
08-15-2013, 06:12 PM
The general sense that Raptors fans are getting is actually the complete opposite. The off-season moves haven't exactly shown evidence of us heading into tanking and it wouldn't make sense. I do believe trades are coming for the team but they're not going to be for picks like everyone thinks. We're here to win this year.

masai has left his options open this year which he has clearly shown by only giving out contracts with only the first year guaranteed

The division really depends on what Toronto does this year though

Toronto has the talent to make 6th seed, which is probably what they're aiming for, if health permits
management has said that they don't want to be a 7-11 team so it should be all or nothing

if they have a winning record it could be any of lowry, derozan, gay or valanciunas potentially representing them in the all star game

everyone is sleeping on them and doesn't realize that they were actually quite competitive last year, more so once rudy came to town, played everyone tough (-1.5 differential), and had a league high FOUR apologies from the league that would have made them a tie for 8th seed alone, and changed the outcome of their year drastically.

plus scrubs like john lucas, alan Anderson, and arron gray will no longer be playing a important bench roleand are replaced by competent role players

heyman321
08-15-2013, 06:18 PM
2 words: ANDREW WIGGINS

BBallfan8
08-15-2013, 06:28 PM
The Southeast is pretty weak.
Outside Miami, your next best team is Atlanta? That is pathetic.
Wiz are climbing but not quite good yet, Orlando is still trying to recover from that D12 saga, and Charlotte might be the worst team in the NBA

Central-Outside Chicago and Indy, the Bucks, Pistons, and Cav's are building but not winners yet.

In the west,
Clips and Warriors head a weak division with LAL, Sac, and the Suns.
OKC and Memphis are tough, but Utah, Portland and Minny are awful.

Agree with this... the east has 6 good teams (2 in each division) and the rest is not even worth mentioning. I don't necessarily think that Nets/Knicks is worse duo than Bulls/Pacers or Heat/Hawks.

Not that much of a difference between:
Celtics, Sixers, Raptors
Bucks, Pistons, Cavs
Magic, Wiz, Bobcats

Rockice_8
08-15-2013, 07:04 PM
Agree with this... the east has 6 good teams (2 in each division) and the rest is not even worth mentioning. I don't necessarily think that Nets/Knicks is worse duo than Bulls/Pacers or Heat/Hawks.

Not that much of a difference between:
Celtics, Sixers, Raptors
Bucks, Pistons, Cavs
Magic, Wiz, Bobcats

Not a bad idea actually. Get the top two teams from each division and make the top 10 from each teams combined. Lets see who the best really is.

Kashmir13579
08-15-2013, 07:08 PM
No. Celtics will be back soon. Knicks aren't going anywhere unless they completely strike out in 2015. Philly has a lot of nice young players. Nets are in a tough spot though.

BBallfan8
08-15-2013, 07:23 PM
Not a bad idea actually. Get the top two teams from each division and make the top 10 from each teams combined. Lets see who the best really is.

Williams/Felton
Johnson/JR Smith
Melo/Pierce
Amare/KG
Lopez/Chandler

vs

Rose/Hill
Stephenson/Hinrich
George/Deng
West/Boozer
Noah/Hibbert

vs.

Teague/Chalmers
Wade/Korver
Lebron/Dahntay Jones
Bosh/Milsap
Horford/Birdman

The Hawks are so bad that i think Knicks/Nets might be the best.

Chill_Will_24
08-16-2013, 12:46 AM
Love is a FA in 2015, no?

Not if he opts in