PDA

View Full Version : CENTRAL DIVISION the best defensive division in the L by far!!

lukass
08-14-2013, 09:02 PM
Ive been thinking about the meanest nastiest beat you down division in the NBA and historically with the Pistons, Bulls, Pacers, Cavs its always been physical but its especially picked back up going into this season. I don't even think its close, theres no argument the Central is the toughest by far.

Detroit- Drummond, Monroe, Smith frontcourt with rookies Pope and Mitchell off the bench
Chicago- We know how great they are!!
Indy- We know how great they are!!
Cavs- Bynum could raise them to the next level
Bucks- last year were quietly one of the best defensive teams in the L with Sanders, Henson, etc.

JerseyPalahniuk
08-14-2013, 09:12 PM
Southwest Hands Down.

Spurs, Rockets, Grizz (any of these 3 in the conference Finals wouldn't surprise me)
Pelicans and Dallas - both teams that have a chance at making the playoffs. If they were in the East they would definitely make it.

lukass
08-14-2013, 09:37 PM
Southwest Hands Down.

Spurs, Rockets, Grizz (any of these 3 in the conference Finals wouldn't surprise me)
Pelicans and Dallas - both teams that have a chance at making the playoffs. If they were in the East they would definitely make it.

SA is getting old Timmy could be done any day now and they were more of an offensive beast last year, HOU it all depends on how DH and Asik mesh, MEM yes was great last year and should be this year but they did lose a great coach IMO. NO and Dallas no they are not defensive teams maybe if NO drafted Noel that might have the potential with Davis/Noel

D-Leethal
08-14-2013, 09:44 PM
Outside of the Grizz, all the SW teams are pretty much finesse teams. Central is definitely the grimiest division where they get their hands dirty and beat you down en route to an 82-78 ugly victory. Spurs, Dallas, Rockets .... those teams are finesse teams that want to outscore you, even if they do play good defense. I think players go into SA, Dallas, Houston thinking they might be in for a big stat night because the game may be a shootout. I think they go into Indy and Chicago thinking 'how the hell am I gonna get 20 tonight?'

Guppyfighter
08-14-2013, 09:48 PM
Spurs are an elite defensive team, not sure how they are finesse other than because they score a lot.

elledaddy
08-14-2013, 10:09 PM
Ive been thinking about the meanest nastiest beat you down division in the NBA and historically with the Pistons, Bulls, Pacers, Cavs its always been physical but its especially picked back up going into this season. I don't even think its close, theres no argument the Central is the toughest by far.

Detroit- Drummond, Monroe, Smith frontcourt with rookies Pope and Mitchell off the bench
Bucks- last year were quietly one of the best defensive teams in the L with Sanders, Henson, etc.

Also the worst Offensively as well by far!!!!!

lukass
08-14-2013, 10:12 PM
Spurs are an elite defensive team, not sure how they are finesse other than because they score a lot.

they were an elite defensive team other than Leonard I cant think of another defensive threat

JerseyPalahniuk
08-14-2013, 10:15 PM
Outside of the Grizz, all the SW teams are pretty much finesse teams. Central is definitely the grimiest division where they get their hands dirty and beat you down en route to an 82-78 ugly victory. Spurs, Dallas, Rockets .... those teams are finesse teams that want to outscore you, even if they do play good defense. I think players go into SA, Dallas, Houston thinking they might be in for a big stat night because the game may be a shootout. I think they go into Indy and Chicago thinking 'how the hell am I gonna get 20 tonight?'

Yes, they have different playing styles. But the 5 teams in the SW are better than the 5 teams in the Central Division.

p.s. teams also go in to Memphis thinking "how the hell am I going to score" and into Cleveland for a big stat night. They'll go into Milwaukee this year to win and get the hell out.

lukass
08-14-2013, 10:24 PM
Also the worst Offensively as well by far!!!!!

defense win Ships!!

bholly
08-15-2013, 12:03 AM
Southwest argument is enough for me. Central probably in the arugment for second. Northwest could also end up much tougher and grittier than I think many would give credit for right now.

Also I love how fast the Atlantic have fallen off after all the love they got as the toughest division last offseason. Could be 5th or even 6th now.

mrblisterdundee
08-15-2013, 12:05 AM
The Central Division is obviously for the working man, and I think players in it develop a nice chip on their shoulder (until they leave for better teams). I wholeheartedly agree with you that it's the toughest.

beasted86
08-15-2013, 12:52 AM
Agreed... but none of them are going to the Finals let alone winning it.

arlubas
08-15-2013, 04:21 AM
You shouldn't even have included the Cavs in this but I will agree with both the original point and especially with the Bucks. They're like the mini-Pacers to me. Good defense, disciplined team but lacks the true star power to advance further into the postseason. I was never convinced on Jennings being a go to guy and even though I like Monta's game you just can't be a successful team in the POs with him as your main man.

D-Leethal
08-15-2013, 10:02 AM

You don't think a finesse team can be a great defensive team? Spurs, IMO use their defense to compliment their uptempo, finesse, potent offense. They are a team who can have a great defensive game but still give up 100+ due to their playing style. I think theres a difference between the type of defense they play, and the type of suffocating defense a slow-it-down half court team like Indy plays. I think a defense like Indy's makes life a living hell for teams, makes every single possession a grueling struggle for the opposition more than a defense like San Antonio's does.

faze38
08-15-2013, 10:07 AM

Have to second this I mean you get beat down by Indy and the Bulls everytime you battle against them

D-Leethal
08-15-2013, 10:16 AM
Have to second this I mean you get beat down by Indy and the Bulls everytime you battle against them

IMO, Spurs are an offense-first team who are gonna play fast and score a ton of points and use their defense to compliment that playing style. They have great defensive efficiency but their mojo is their uptempo, pick and roll + 3 ball spread offense. Indy and Chicago use their suffocating defense to define their playing style, if that makes sense.

I Rock Shaqs
08-15-2013, 10:55 AM

Woah! Geez! Don't make it too obvious you're a Pistons fan.....

Patman
08-15-2013, 11:04 AM
IMO, Spurs are an offense-first team who are gonna play fast and score a ton of points and use their defense to compliment that playing style. They have great defensive efficiency but their mojo is their uptempo, pick and roll + 3 ball spread offense. Indy and Chicago use their suffocating defense to define their playing style, if that makes sense.

Yeah the offense first team, that ranked top 3 in DRTG and 7th in ORTG. I don't think the spurs had a side of the court that came first, both sides were equally important, but what allowed them to get back to the finals was their defense which was on an elite level the first time since probably 09 or so.

c.c.
08-15-2013, 11:13 AM
I've been saying this for the longest

D-Leethal
08-15-2013, 11:24 AM
Yeah the offense first team, that ranked top 3 in DRTG and 7th in ORTG. I don't think the spurs had a side of the court that came first, both sides were equally important, but what allowed them to get back to the finals was their defense which was on an elite level the first time since probably 09 or so.

I obviously don't think defensive efficiency stats tell the whole story. They were a great defensive team but I don't think that was their mojo as much as their free flowing offense. Their D was elite within the context of their playing style, but they pushed the tempo, spread you out, scored a ton of points and shot a ton of 3s. And I agree that stepping up their D, to compliment their previous years of elite offense was what allowed them to get back to the Finals. I just don't think they switched their identity to get there, I think they just complimented that offense-first mojo thats been there the past 4 years or so with an improved defense. I don't think they flipped the switch and became defense-first just because their defensive efficiency was elite. They are still an uptempo free flowing finesse team in my book, they just have a top notch defense to go with it now.

I understand point totals are elementary, but against the Spurs, your gonna score a lot of points, your gonna play a fast pace, your going to get a ton of possessions. Its different type of elite defense than a team like Indy where your going to be short on offensive opportunities, they are going to force you to play slow, they are going to limit possessions, and the opportunities you get your gonna have an awful hard time scoring the ball.

All-In
08-15-2013, 02:20 PM
I agree that the Central Division is the best at defense…southwest is good but HOU is a wildcard to me so the edge goes to the central….the Spurs were one of the best defensive teams last year…go ahead and ask Zach Randolph…..but on whether they were offensive or defensive first to me is impossible tell…they were equally great on both sides…but I have a feeling if you ask Pop their a defensive first team

JasonJohnHorn
08-15-2013, 02:21 PM
Defensively and all around I'd go with the SW

SA/HOU/MEM are all amazing on D. SA has the best defensive coach in the league. HOU and MEM are both starting DPOY a C and MEM especially has some good defenders helping out (Allen and Prince).

New Orleans also has Davis starting and he's going to be an elite defender. We'll see how far he comes along this season and what kind of help he gets.

As for Dallas... well... they won't be great defensively, but hey... 3 amazing defensive teams, one god one and one below average one... that's a pretty good division.

The central is good wiht CHI and IND at the top and DET has some real potential. And the Bucks have a strong front court defensively.... CLE though.. it depends on their health.

5ass
08-15-2013, 02:58 PM

SA/HOU/MEM are all amazing on D. SA has the best defensive coach in the league. HOU and MEM are both starting DPOY a C and MEM especially has some good defenders helping out (Allen and Prince).

New Orleans also has Davis starting and he's going to be an elite defender. We'll see how far he comes along this season and what kind of help he gets.

As for Dallas... well... they won't be great defensively, but hey... 3 amazing defensive teams, one god one and one below average one... that's a pretty good division.

The central is good wiht CHI and IND at the top and DET has some real potential. And the Bucks have a strong front court defensively.... CLE though.. it depends on their health.

Houston has a lot to prove defensively before I call them amazing defensively. If they keep Asik I see them being a top 5 defensive team, but I dont think he stays.

All-In
08-15-2013, 04:41 PM

Its premature to say HOU is great defensively….to me their a wildcard….can’t say for sure just yet…..thats y I say the edge goes central