PDA

View Full Version : Will The Spurs Coaching Staff Take A Hit?

Clippersfan86
08-14-2013, 08:35 PM
They have now lost their top 2 assistants to Pop in one summer for head coaching jobs. I've never seen a team lose two respected assistants in one summer. Do you think this has any affect whatsoever?

ManRam
08-14-2013, 08:39 PM
I doubt it. Lots of pieces have changed under him already. But Bud leaving could be significant since he's been there for so long. Still, I feel like Pops is the engine that runs that ship completely. He's lost great assistants before and replaced them with ease.

But figuring stuff like this out is near impossible. Without actually being there every day to see it I doubt we can ever accurately assess the impact of these guys. Coaching is hard enough to evaluate anyways.

Clippersfan86
08-14-2013, 08:43 PM
I doubt it. Lots of pieces have changed under him already. But Bud leaving could be significant since he's been there for so long. Still, I feel like Pops is the engine that runs that ship completely. He's lost great assistants before and replaced them with ease.

But figuring stuff like this out is near impossible. Without actually being there every day to see it I doubt we can ever accurately assess the impact of these guys. Coaching is hard enough to evaluate anyways.

Fair enough. Guess we will have to see for ourselves when the season starts.

kdspurman
08-14-2013, 09:34 PM
Jim Boylen from the Pacers is a nice addition to the Spurs coaching staff. One of his main responsibilities was working with Indy's big men, so he should be able to bring some new things to the table for the young guys like Pendergraph (who he brought over from Indy), Baynes, Splitter, etc...

They also have some other guys who likely could take on some more responsibilities that have been on the staff for several years like Chad Forcier and Chip Engelland, one of the more respected shooting coaches in the league. He's worked on technique with guys like Kerr, Grant Hill, Battier & a huge reason why Tony Parker has that consistent mid-range shot, and his latest project Kawhi Leonard.

Ime Udoka is also on the staff, but he's only been there going on 2 years. He's new to the system, but did play for the Spurs for a year. (I have to admit I was shocked to see him get the position)

It's tough to replace Bud & Brown, but in a sense I feel it'll be kind of like the Spurs team as a whole. They'll bring in some new faces, they'll learn the system and culture and hopefully make it a smooth transition. The one thing that will lack of course is chemistry and just knowing the personnel. Pop missed a handful of games out sick, and Bud stepped in seamlessly. He knew the minutes each player played, had a great relationship with everyone, and even took those "Pop-Like" timeouts after a team would make any kind of run. He was a much nicer version of Pop on the bench, but you could tell Pop's influence on Bud was tremendous. They didn't miss a beat while Pop was out either

Personally, I'd love to bring Bruce Bowen on to the bench :)

SportsFanatic10
08-14-2013, 10:14 PM
as long as they still have pop they have nothing to worry about coaching wise.

arlubas
08-15-2013, 04:09 AM
Pop is the one running things on the Spurs and watching his moves after all these years I'm pretty sure that he always has a backup plan and other assistants ready to step in when needed. The guy is a general, in every sense.

sixer04fan
08-15-2013, 10:55 AM
The main concern for the Spurs is now if/when Pop retires soon, say if he goes when Duncan goes. Not only has he been an outstanding coach, but for years now he's been mentoring and training the coaches under him a very effective and successful system of how to do things. The Spurs are the kind of organization you could see promoting the assistant to take Pop's place when he goes to keep the same system in place and have it remain very successful, rather than hiring from the outside.

That situation seems less likely now.

As for now, I fully expect Pop to keep things running smoothly as they were. Shouldn't be too much of an issue. As long as both he and the veteran players are still around, expect the Spurs to continue their winning ways.

JasonJohnHorn
08-15-2013, 02:29 PM
The Spurs have been losing their assistants for years. Mike Brown was an assistant under him. Danny Ferry worked with him. PJ Carlisimo. Bud and Brett. And that is not to mention the former players who he coach (VDN, Avery Johnson, Monty Williams and Jacques Vaughn). Other teams have been plucking people from the Spurs front office for years now... the Spurs always manage.

Clippersfan86
08-15-2013, 02:32 PM
The Spurs have been losing their assistants for years. Mike Brown was an assistant under him. Danny Ferry worked with him. PJ Carlisimo. Bud and Brett. And that is not to mention the former players who he coach (VDN, Avery Johnson, Monty Williams and Jacques Vaughn). Other teams have been plucking people from the Spurs front office for years now... the Spurs always manage.

Great point man. I didn't even think of this but many of the leagues HC's and assistants coached on his staff and left and the team continued running smoothly. Wonder what happens when Pop+Duncan retire though?

kdspurman
08-15-2013, 03:59 PM
^this isn't completely up to date yet, but I thought this was pretty cool.

http://www.trbimg.com/img-50b56f4a/turbine/os-se-san-antonio-spurs-family-tree-20121127/900/900x786

Clippersfan86
08-15-2013, 04:00 PM
Wow... That chart is beyond impressive.