PDA

View Full Version : PSD Entertainment: Iman Shumpert goes in (hard) on Kendrick Lamar

4milesperday
08-14-2013, 09:29 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PNIX0b5Pai4

Who knew that boy had it in him.

ManRam
08-14-2013, 09:39 AM
I don't think generating responses from B.o.B., Kevin Hart, Iman Shumpert, Fred the Godson, Astro etc. was really what Kendrick wanted. Hahaha. Joell was alright, and worthy, but that's it.

This isn't bad for an NBA player. But meh.

And also, people are totally misinterpreting what Kendrick was saying in that verse. But whatever. He's at the top so I doubt he cares.

NYKnickFanatic
08-14-2013, 09:41 AM
Eh, decent.

Lol

NYKnickFanatic
08-14-2013, 09:44 AM
I don't think generating responses from B.o.B., Kevin Hart, Iman Shumpert, Fred the Godson, Astro etc. was really what Kendrick wanted. Hahaha. Joell was alright, and worthy, but that's it.

And also, people are totally misinterpreting what Kendrick was saying in that verse. But whatever. He's at the top so I doubt he cares.

People on Twitter were asking Iman to make a response. I have no idea why they were asking him, but he just did it for fun.

ManRam
08-14-2013, 09:47 AM
People on Twitter were asking Iman to make a response. I have no idea why they were asking him, but he just did it for fun.

For an NBA player it was great. I love what Kendrick did...some healthy and friendly competition is great. People are legit excited about this ****. It's amazing.

I just wish we'd get some doper responses. But all of it is fun, regardless.

King Los' response wasn't half bad at all. And I do think Joell did his thing. The rest have been meh. Hell, Iman did better than B.o.B. IMO :laugh2:

JoeBlessU
08-14-2013, 09:53 AM
Who the ******* is Kendrick Lamar?..

ManningToTyree
08-14-2013, 09:56 AM
He's better than 2 chainz :shrug:

ManningToTyree
Who the ******* is Kendrick Lamar?.. sarcasm?

NYKnickFanatic

I hope you're joking.

GriffKnowsBest
08-14-2013, 10:03 AM
Puke. Who cares? Oh that's right, Knicks fans because Shump rapping and terms like #Knickstape are more relevant to them than winning anything.

I still can't believe Kendrick's verse went over EVERYONE'S heads! He was giving props to the rappers he mentioned, not literally calling them out. He was saying those dudes are among the few hot rappers that are actually any good, and that he's coming for all their heads. Friendly competition, encouraging EVERYONE (even himself) to step their game up for the sake of hip hop. But, people would rather focus on what they see on the surface, and be like "YOOO KENDRICK JUST MADE SOME ENEMIES"...no, no, no.

The fact that Shump and those other guys mentioned above made responses is a joke because their just not in the echelon of Kendrick and Co. For context, imagine a D3 baller calling out Shump's defense. Exactly. Wouldn't make much sense.

LAKobeBryant
08-14-2013, 10:06 AM

Lamar odom brother or Kendrick Perkins.... Up to you to decide

GriffKnowsBest
08-14-2013, 10:07 AM
lamar odom brother or kendrick perkins.... Up to you to decide

lmfao

NYKnickFanatic
08-14-2013, 10:09 AM
Puke. Who cares? Oh that's right, Knicks fans because Shump rapping and terms like #Knickstape are more relevant to them than winning anything.

I still can't believe Kendrick's verse went over EVERYONE'S heads! He was giving props to the rappers he mentioned, not literally calling them out. He was saying those dudes are among the few hot rappers that are actually any good, and that he's coming for all their heads. Friendly competition, encouraging EVERYONE (even himself) to step their game up for the sake of hip hop. But, people would rather focus on what they see on the surface, and be like "YOOO KENDRICK JUST MADE SOME ENEMIES"...no, no, no.

The fact that Shump and those other guys mentioned above made responses is a joke because their just not in the echelon of Kendrick and Co. For context, imagine a D3 baller calling out Shump's defense. Exactly. Wouldn't make much sense.

Lol, because a Knicks fan posted this, right? ;)

As for the bold. Everyone who knows music, knows that...

ManRam
08-14-2013, 10:10 AM

I don't think the responses are bad...I'm sure Kendrick loves it (though, probably wishes people would start coming more proper). The ones that should annoy everyone are the ones like Mickey Factz...who has done songs with Kendrick before but started taking personal shots at him and his crew. That's dumb. That's just stupid petty beef and does prove that his verse flew right over his head. That **** annoys me.

It wasn't a diss and wasn't worth "retaliation". Responses are fine, hell, he WANTS the competition. But people are taking shots at him? :laugh2: ****'s dumb.

JoeBlessU
08-14-2013, 10:12 AM
I hope you're joking.

LOL I wasnt... Sorry, Not up to date on my pop culture

-Kobe24-TJ19-
08-14-2013, 10:12 AM

this

not joking btw

NYKnickFanatic
08-14-2013, 10:13 AM

Haha, if you're not into Rap/HipHop, then I could understand.

ManRam
08-14-2013, 10:20 AM
Haha, if you're not into Rap/HipHop, then I could understand.

A year ago if you said "if you're not into rap/hiphop than I could understand" but not now. He's crossed over. He's mainstream (which hasn't become a bad thing to say). He went platinum, which is very rare nowadays for rappers. He's got the best mix of commercial success and critical acclaim as any hip hop artist in a while...besides Kanye.

kingkenny01
08-14-2013, 10:21 AM
I don't get how what kendrick lamar said was an insult, he just stated his competition and how he is trying to be better than them.

bucketss
08-14-2013, 10:33 AM
nvm

ManRam
08-14-2013, 10:34 AM
I don't get how what kendrick lamar said was an insult, he just stated his competition and how he is trying to be better than them.

Not only that, but everyone he mentioned he's on good terms with/does songs with/friends with.

And the "King of NY" line has been grossly misunderstood.

Iman's was pretty friendly, so that's all good. And again, it's better than most of the NBA raps I've heard.

Kobe2324
08-14-2013, 10:36 AM

if you dont listen to rap and don't live in LA than I understand, Ive been to LA twice to see some Laker games and believe me this guy is on the radio every 2nd song on every station so even if your not a fan of Rap but live in LA you would know who he is lol

Teeboy1487
08-14-2013, 10:49 AM
Kendrick Lamar has been my favorite rapper since GKMC. I already liked him before, but that album sealed it for me. I love what K Dot did. He has awaken the rap game which was dying because of no talented gangsta wanabees who can't rap their way out of a paper bag. I want to see all the nba player's comments on the verse. I've only seen Lebron's, Metta's, and Kobe's responses.

GiantsSwaGG
08-14-2013, 10:52 AM
Son got bar but I hate the beat, sounded like something from Star Wars

GiantsSwaGG
08-14-2013, 10:53 AM
this

not joking btw

You're definitely not from LA if you don't know who he is

JoeBlessU
08-14-2013, 10:55 AM
A year ago if you said "if you're not into rap/hiphop than I could understand" but not now. He's crossed over. He's mainstream (which hasn't become a bad thing to say). He went platinum, which is very rare nowadays for rappers. He's got the best mix of commercial success and critical acclaim as any hip hop artist in a while...besides Kanye.

That all sounds like very cool stuff. Sorry if i offended you by not knowing him. Im only 23 but I feel like this guy..:oldguy: when it comes to mainstream rappers lol.

sunsfan88
08-14-2013, 10:59 AM

Best music artist in America?

DaBUU
08-14-2013, 11:00 AM

I agree, lot of grown men became woman over that verse. But he had to know how it would get taken, he asked for the fight in a way. Its good for rap if u ask me, **** was getting stale. I love Kendrick vs. Joell, hope K. decides to answer him personally.

GiantsSwaGG
08-14-2013, 11:04 AM
Dude said he the king of NY when he from LA, that's why Joel went at Lamar (Joel Ortiz is wack btw)

DaBUU
08-14-2013, 11:06 AM
Dude said he the king of NY when he from LA, that's why Joel went at Lamar (Joel Ortiz is wack btw)

his **** stands toe to toe with Kendricks verse, but go ahead an sleep on it

GiantsSwaGG
08-14-2013, 11:11 AM

If you thought Joel response was nice then you're on drugs. He's wack same with Big Sean

JoeBlessU
08-14-2013, 11:22 AM

That is HIGHLY debatable...Rap should hardly be considered music.

DaBUU
08-14-2013, 11:29 AM
If you thought Joel response was nice then you're on drugs. He's wack same with Big Sean

Big Sean is wack as ****, but Jo went in hard and had bodied Kendricks verse, just did. Its cool if we disagree. Dude wrote that song in one hour. I love them both tho and love this for hip hop.

PleaseBeNice
08-14-2013, 11:32 AM
That is HIGHLY debatable...Rap should hardly be considered music.

Why? you don't like it? Or what? How is it not music?

PleaseBeNice
08-14-2013, 11:33 AM
And joell ortiz tries way too hard. He's ***.

DaBUU
08-14-2013, 11:36 AM
crazy talk, how are going to sleep on his lyricism

JoeBlessU
08-14-2013, 11:39 AM
Why? you don't like it? Or what? How is it not music?

Im not trying to start a rap debate, but i do think some of it is just ridiculous. It is music. Just not music i prefer.

sunsfan88
08-14-2013, 11:59 AM
I think more important than this is that Shumpert is close with the First Lady

http://allball.blogs.nba.com/2013/08/13/iman-shumpert-to-appear-on-michelle-obamas-album/?ls=iref:nbahpts

NYKnickFanatic
08-14-2013, 12:13 PM

Uhm, false...

Clippersfan86
08-14-2013, 12:20 PM
Call me crazy but Kendrick's verse was wack as fu** for all the hype it got and I loved this Shump verse :Shrug:. Shump reminds me a little bit of young Luda in the first verse. It makes me laugh that people talk about Kendrick as a rap "savior" because he's not that good. I think he seems better than he is in comparison to all the ****** club rap right now, so people put him on a pedestal.

Clippersfan86
08-14-2013, 12:35 PM
These guys off the top destroy Kendrick's written rhymes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=40MA0pl7Oa0

Even in mainstream rap... there are still many greater lyricists than Kendrick including Eminem who even at this age nobody wants to see. Any of the original 8 or 9 (depends if you count Cappadonna) Wu Tang guys would take Kendrick to the woodshed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ip0vYR3xJWU

Best way to put it into basketball forum talk is "extremely weak era". His competition is weak chumps like T-Pain and 2 Chainz etc. People forgot what rap with substance is so the first DECENT rapper that comes along with substance gets hailed as a "savior".

Here's Em just from a few years ago if people think he's lost it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KwyOfqbP8JU

Just about two years ago The Game said literally NOBODY in the rap game wants beef with Eminem and that if Eminem started a beef with him he would literally run away from it. Kendrick doesn't have this kind of "rap savior" talent.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KbHPpdPhlic

NYKnickFanatic
08-14-2013, 12:46 PM
Call me crazy but Kendrick's verse was wack as fu** for all the hype it got and I loved this Shump verse :Shrug:. Shump reminds me a little bit of young Luda in the first verse. It makes me laugh that people talk about Kendrick as a rap "savior" because he's not that good. I think he seems better than he is in comparison to all the ****** club rap right now, so people put him on a pedestal.

I'm doing what those two clowns in your sig are doing right now.

Ebbs
08-14-2013, 12:48 PM
I can't name one song by Kendrick Lamar....

jakedajewler
08-14-2013, 12:57 PM
He is def not at the top that's why people are pissed, he shooting off and he not the best in the game

Clippersfan86
08-14-2013, 01:04 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TJEXrNbVktQ

Young Eminem who ended up being something of a rap "savior" although I don't like using that word for entertainers. RIP Kendrick if he rapped in the 90's or even early-mid 00's.

Clippersfan86
08-14-2013, 01:08 PM
I'm doing what those two clowns in your sig are doing right now.

Show me something impressive. I grew up listening to a lot of underground hip hop and for main stream guys like Eminem, Wu Tang, Nas, Ice Cube, LL, KRS One, Outkast, Slick Rick, Big Pun, Pac, Biggy, Rakim and all kinds of stuff. So why would I be impressed with this scrub acting like he's some sort of savior? Like I said even lower tier rappers like Ludacris or Eazy E who weren't quite on the top tier would have eaten Kendrick alive.

HowBoutDemBulls
08-14-2013, 01:11 PM
Maaan y'all will believe whatever the media tells you is good. Everybody was hyping up that midget's verse so I youtubed it......whack as hell. Lyrics catering to the TMZ crowd

Clippersfan86
08-14-2013, 01:12 PM
Maaan y'all will believe whatever the media tells you is good. Everybody was hyping up that midget's verse so I youtubed it......whack as hell. Lyrics catering to the TMZ crowd

Bingo. Like I said Shump's verse was better and the dude isn't even a hyped rap "savior" LMAO.

ManRam
08-14-2013, 01:18 PM
Even in mainstream rap... there are still many greater lyricists than Kendrick including Eminem who even at this age nobody wants to see. Any of the original 8 or 9 (depends if you count Cappadonna) Wu Tang guys would take Kendrick to the woodshed.

OK. Saying Eminem and Wu-Tang would take Kendrick to the woodshed isn't exactly a bad thing. Those are some of the best. Thing is, they aren't as relevant as they once were. We're talking now. I'm a Wu-Tang stan to the fullest, but I don't see the point in comparing a guy who's just starting and is peaking right now to the older gods.

Best way to put it into basketball forum talk is "extremely weak era". His competition is weak chumps like T-Pain and 2 Chainz etc. People forgot what rap with substance is so the first DECENT rapper that comes along with substance gets hailed as a "savior".

This is a stupid comment. Hiphop is going in the right direction. Those guys aren't hiphop, they aren't his peers.

Just about two years ago The Game said literally NOBODY in the rap game wants beef with Eminem and that if Eminem started a beef with him he would literally run away from it. Kendrick doesn't have this kind of "rap savior" talent.

I genuinely have no idea what point you're trying to make with this entire post. :laugh: You like Eminem, fine. Eminem back in the day was a once in a lifetime talent. However, we're talking right now. Eminem hasn't released anything in a while as good as GKMC or Section.80. And you bring up Game...Game dickrides Kendrick harder than anyone else.

He is def not at the top that's why people are pissed, he shooting off and he not the best in the game

Kendrick is at the top. He is universally respected by the past (Snoop, Dre, Cube) and the present (everyone of significance) canonizes Kendrick. He just went platinum.

No one RIGHT NOW (besides maybe Kanye...who doesn't make the same type of music KL makes) has the mix of commercial success, critical acclaim, peer adoration and respect that he has RIGHT NOW.

ManRam
08-14-2013, 01:23 PM
Show me something impressive. I grew up listening to a lot of underground hip hop and for main stream guys like Eminem, Wu Tang, Nas, Ice Cube, LL, KRS One, Outkast, Slick Rick, Big Pun, Pac, Biggy, Rakim and all kinds of stuff. So why would I be impressed with this scrub acting like he's some sort of savior? Like I said even lower tier rappers like Ludacris or Eazy E who weren't quite on the top tier would have eaten Kendrick alive.

Those guys all peaked in the 90s/maybe early 2000s at the latest. It's 2013 dude. He's not a "savior", but he's part of a crowd steering hip-hop back in the right direction. That crowd includes his TDE brethren, Gibbs, Danny Brown, KRIT, Action Bronson, Joey Badass, Killer Mike and so on...guys who make the music they want to make, don't give a **** about anything else and put out really good and unique stuff. This is a better time than it was maybe 5-7 years ago, and he's a part of that. And this got **** BUZZING. Bring back the friendly competition. Bring back the time when artists would bring the best out of each other. This is good for hip hop, regardless of how good anything thinks the verse was.

Read this:

I actually think hip hop is in as good a state as it has been for a while now because I think there's an increased emphasis on individuality and creativity. (That's why I hate when people talk about regions in hip hop - I think it limits the creativity of rappers that don't fit perfectly into the sound their hometown is known for. If a rapper from NY can make great music with a southern feel to it he should.) For a while I think hip hop as a genre fell into the trap of trying for a certain sound or reaching a specific demographic. I think the best environment for good music is when people feel like they can be successful just by being themselves rather than force fitting themselves into what's popular. If you have that environment then the truly talented and innovative will be able to make it.

I don't believe for a second that there were more great rappers in the 90s then there are today. They just had a better environment to showcase their talents in. They didn't have to "sell out" to get popular - they were able to get popular just by being themselves. Biggie sold a lot of records rapping like he did. 2Pac sold a lot. OutKast moved albums. Scarface, Ice Cube, Snoop Dogg, etc. all put up major numbers on the charts in the 90s. Their sales pushed the genre into the category of "popular music" which lends itself to more emphasis on sales than the music itself. Like I said I think we're seeing movement in the opposite direction from that and I put Kendrick at the forefront of that movement.

Clippersfan86
08-14-2013, 01:23 PM
Kendrick is not at the top because the greats before him haven't officially retired. I don't give a rats *** about "commercial success" or "peer adoration". Bottom line is he's overrated as fu** and pretty wack if you compare to some of the great rappers.

texanmonstra011
08-14-2013, 01:25 PM

ehhh i like the old joell ortiz and his response sounded more like the old him, but i still thought it was pretty corny. This isn't 2003 or 2007 for joell lol

ChiTownPacerFan
08-14-2013, 01:27 PM
These guys off the top destroy Kendrick's written rhymes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ip0vYR3xJWU

This!

The fact that anyone thinks Kendrick Lamar is any good, let alone the best rapper out there, is a really really sad indictment of the current state of hip hop.

Everyone who thinks Kendrick Lamar is dope needs to listen to real hip-hop. Here are some infinitely better tracks that have come out this year.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t4kkzsRJObE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m54m3U3TRYI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3byEUZm0r40

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ikfR4ppmStU

Clippersfan86
08-14-2013, 01:28 PM
Those guys all peaked in the 90s/maybe early 2000s at the latest. It's 2013 dude. He's not a "savior", but he's part of a crowd steering hip-hop back in the right direction. That crowd includes his TDE brethren, Gibbs, Danny Brown, KRIT, Action Bronson, Joey Badass, Killer Mike and so on...guys who make the music they want to make, don't give a **** about anything else and put out really good and unique stuff. This is a better time than it was maybe 5-7 years ago, and he's a part of that. And this got **** BUZZING. Bring back the friendly competition. Bring back the time when artists would bring the best out of each other. This is good for hip hop, regardless of how good anything thinks the verse was.

Read this:

I agree he's a step up from most rappers now and a step in the right direction. I don't have an issue with saying he's one of the better current rappers. What I have an issue with is the hype he receives from people who act like they haven't heard good rap before. Or from celebs who circle jerk this guy and have flat out called him "the rap savior" hundreds of times that I've seen on Twitter. Those are big shoes to fill and I've tried at least 10 of his so called best raps and they were all wack to me. Not once have I been impressed by Kendrick because the bar is so high for me with what I grew up listening to and still listen to today.

I disagree with Pats completely that rap is in a good place. I think this is hands down the worst rap era ever since it blew up 79 with "Rapper's Delight", and furthermore in the 80's with Run DMC. There literally isn't 3 current rappers I like that have the talent and street smarts to intrigue me right now. I feel like Kendrick Lamar is the reality TV/TMZ version of rap and it pisses me the fu** off. I agree that the industry has forced rap a certain bad way but tons of rappers have refused to be defined in the past and succeeded, so it's not a fail proof excuse. Eminem isn't even my favorite rapper but again he's a good example of that. Eminem came out in the 90's rapping about killing women, prescription pills, schizophrenia etc... when nobody was talking about it and we all see the success he had.

The point is... I think it's a lack of talent and poor development, more so than the rap game defining artists.

Clippersfan86
08-14-2013, 01:33 PM
This!

The fact that anyone thinks Kendrick Lamar is any good, let alone the best rapper out there, is a really really sad indictment of the current state of hip hop.

Everyone who thinks Kendrick Lamar is dope needs to listen to real hip-hop. Here are some infinitely better tracks that have come out this year.

See I've never even heard 3 of these 4 and they kill Kendrick Lamar's **** IMO. Is that Sadistik guy one of the Minny rappers? His style reminds me of Slug and those guys.

Clippersfan86
08-14-2013, 01:40 PM
Fawk Chitown you got me playing that Sadistik song on repeat haha. I love this! Appreciate it.

ILLUSIONIST^248
08-14-2013, 01:44 PM

Are you serious? He's the best rapper in the game right now, and he just destroyed every single main stream rapper in one song.

JoeBlessU
08-14-2013, 01:48 PM
Are you serious? He's the best rapper in the game right now, and he just destroyed every single main stream rapper in one song.

lol yes i was serious. I now know hes a rapper, cool stuff

ILLUSIONIST^248
08-14-2013, 01:51 PM

Lol, not even close.

ILLUSIONIST^248
08-14-2013, 01:53 PM

Lol, you have no clue what you're talking about.

bucketss
08-14-2013, 01:54 PM
Bingo. Like I said Shump's verse was better and the dude isn't even a hyped rap "savior" LMAO.

lmao, seems like you already made up your mind, you probably didn't even listen to it properly , you just want to look like one of those old school hiphop elitist know it alls.

ILLUSIONIST^248
08-14-2013, 01:55 PM
But he is

Fail!

OK. Saying Eminem and Wu-Tang would take Kendrick to the woodshed isn't exactly a bad thing. Those are some of the best. Thing is, they aren't as relevant as they once were. We're talking now. I'm a Wu-Tang stan to the fullest, but I don't see the point in comparing a guy who's just starting and is peaking right now to the older gods.

This is a stupid comment. Hiphop is going in the right direction. Those guys aren't hiphop, they aren't his peers.

I genuinely have no idea what point you're trying to make with this entire post. :laugh: You like Eminem, fine. Eminem back in the day was a once in a lifetime talent. However, we're talking right now. Eminem hasn't released anything in a while as good as GKMC or Section.80. And you bring up Game...Game dickrides Kendrick harder than anyone else.

Kendrick is at the top. He is universally respected by the past (Snoop, Dre, Cube) and the present (everyone of significance) canonizes Kendrick. He just went platinum.

No one RIGHT NOW (besides maybe Kanye...who doesn't make the same type of music KL makes) has the mix of commercial success, critical acclaim, peer adoration and respect that he has RIGHT NOW.

Great post.

bucketss
08-14-2013, 01:57 PM
This!

lmao omg, please listen to good kid maaad city and section 80 and tell me again kendrick isn't dope. theres a reason why all the west coast og's crowned him the king of the west.

ILLUSIONIST^248
08-14-2013, 01:58 PM
lol yes i was serious. I now know hes a rapper, cool stuffWell I don't blame you if it's not your type of music.:cheers:

ILLUSIONIST^248
08-14-2013, 02:00 PM
lmao omg, please listen to good kid maaad city and section 80 and tell me again kendrick isn't dope. theres a reason why all the west coast og's crowned him the king of the west.:mad: Why do you have to say something I agree with:mad:

MickeyMgl
08-14-2013, 02:02 PM

Don't worry about it. You're not alone. I'm pretty up to speed on pop culture, and I didn't know who the heck Kendrick Lamar was until today. I'll admit, though, where it comes to rappers, I tend to be just slightly behind the curve, which might explain not having heard of somebody who had only been in the spotlight for a couple of years.

I'm lol at the "sarcasm?" and "you're joking" replies, though. As if he's already achieved global icon status or something. We're all supposed to know!

MickeyMgl
08-14-2013, 02:06 PM
You're definitely not from LA if you don't know who he is

Or he's over 30?

b@llhog24
08-14-2013, 02:19 PM
ManRam wins the internet for his posts.

NYKnickFanatic
08-14-2013, 02:23 PM
lmao, seems like you already made up your mind, you probably didn't even listen to it properly , you just want to look like one of those old school hiphop elitist know it alls.

:laugh2:

He said KDot is garbage, I've stopped reading what writes.

Even old school legends give Kendrick his props, but Clipperfan86 says he is garbage. :laugh2:

Mr.ATLHawks
08-14-2013, 02:33 PM
LOL then to ******* on Kendrick and say LL Cool J? Really....name a lyrically superb LL song.

GiantsSwaGG
08-14-2013, 02:39 PM
LL cool J might be the most overrated rapper of all time

b@llhog24
08-14-2013, 02:40 PM
Even Phil Jackson knows who KL is.

b@llhog24
08-14-2013, 02:42 PM

How could you disrespect the guy who brought us this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vimZj8HW0Kg)?

smith&wesson
08-14-2013, 02:45 PM

"why you only baby sitting 2 or 3 shots, Im a show you how to take it up a notch. first you get a swimming pool full of liquir then you dive in it, pool full of liqur then you diiiive in it"

Mr.ATLHawks
08-14-2013, 02:46 PM
I think the biggest problem here is people's own definition of hip hop vs rap. Some of you think only B Boy music is truly hip hop while other disagree. I wouldn't put Kendrick Lamar on top, but I will say he has had one of the more impressive debuts in awhile. He has his own style. Also, regions of the country dictate peoples preferences in music most of the time. NY cats don't listen to West Coast or Southern rappers and vice versa so obviously they take offense to these kinds of statements. Big KRIT, lyrically, doesn't stand up to Kendrick but KRIT does production and lyrics and has more of a Southern feel to his music. This isn't the battle of who raps the fastest, or who uses the biggest words. Its who can make the most complete song. All these underground artist mentions are cool and everything but their underground for a reason and 8 out of 10 times its because their beats suck.

Mr.ATLHawks
08-14-2013, 02:48 PM
How could you disrespect the guy who brought us this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vimZj8HW0Kg)?

Exactly, at that specific time everybody was like WOAHHHH, but now when you go back and listen to it you think mehhh lyrics aint that great. Rap evolves like everything else. Run DMC wouldn't make it in todays industry, and neither would LL Cool J(as proven by his CD flopping).

lamzoka
08-14-2013, 02:56 PM
Shump should stick to playing BB and leave this rap **** alone

ChiTownPacerFan
08-14-2013, 04:00 PM
See I've never even heard 3 of these 4 and they kill Kendrick Lamar's **** IMO. Is that Sadistik guy one of the Minny rappers? His style reminds me of Slug and those guys.

He's out of Seattle, but yeah, he has a similar sound. I know he was a huge fan of Eyedea. Peep The Balancing Act, along with Flowers For My Father. Both are awesome albums.

ChiTownPacerFan
08-14-2013, 04:08 PM
lmao omg, please listen to good kid maaad city and section 80 and tell me again kendrick isn't dope. theres a reason why all the west coast og's crowned him the king of the west.

I listened to Hol' Up and ***** Dant Kill My Vibe.... I don't get. His rhyme schemes are boring as hell, and his flow is so generic. To each his own, but I'm not feeling that dude at all.

ManRam
08-14-2013, 04:08 PM

I know all those guys well, especially RA whom I LOVE. They're phenomenal lyricists and rhymers, but there's more to "hip-hop" than just that. The OGs weren't rappers like those guys are. I appreciate the hell out of all that type of music, but it's just a narrow sect of hip-hop. Their music is NOT the ONLY type of "hip-hop". Not at all. It isn't any more "real" or not.

I'm not sure what makes that "real hip-hop" and what Kendrick does "not real hip-hop"

ManRam
08-14-2013, 04:14 PM
I listened to Hol' Up and ***** Dant Kill My Vibe.... I don't get. His rhyme schemes are boring as hell, and his flow is so generic. To each his own, but I'm not feeling that dude at all.

Define his flow for me please, because he's got a variety of flow/voices that span for miles.

When I first heard of Kendrick, and this was pre Section.80, his voice REALLY annoyed me. So I can still understand that. But his "flow" is not the problem. He can "flow" to anything and has an amazing ability to change up that "flow".

I can get that people think his music is "boring". That's fine too. There's plenty of Waka and Gucci out there for you to turn to instead. And that plays into my earlier point...there are a ton of iterations of "hip-hop" out there. And different folks will have different strokes.

tp13baby
08-14-2013, 04:29 PM

He is actually one of the better ones in the game today.

Clippersfan86
08-14-2013, 04:30 PM
:laugh2:

He said KDot is garbage, I've stopped reading what writes.

Even old school legends give Kendrick his props, but Clipperfan86 says he is garbage. :laugh2:

I've already addressed and elaborated on this. Kendrick is "quality" compared to what's out but the hype to talent ratio is HORRIBLE. People act like this guy is some mind blowing prodigy.

Kuya_Clive
08-14-2013, 04:36 PM
There has been so many responses to Kendrick's verse. Many may have taken it the wrong way, but the competition from all these rappers is exactly what Kendrick wants. Kinda reminds me of the nba, all these guys compete on the same level, but each are trying to prove they are the best.

Clippersfan86
08-14-2013, 04:37 PM

Get the fu** out. Overrated or not he would obliterate the living sh** out of Kendrick.People remember LL from when he crossed over to more R&B/pop and forget his roots were a battle rapper. People seem to have forgotten what hip hop was about. You can stick to TMZ rappers if you want.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cBYJ0QhIPEw

Clippersfan86
08-14-2013, 04:38 PM
It's not about being an elitist. Chitown showed me some low key hip hop FROM THIS YEAR I never heard of and I thought it was awesome. It's just that Kendrick isn't that good :Shrug:

The goods
08-14-2013, 04:43 PM
They all trash, if he wants to go at some one good like Lupe then I'll listen.

JoeBlessU
08-14-2013, 04:46 PM
"why you only baby sitting 2 or 3 shots, Im a show you how to take it up a notch. first you get a swimming pool full of liquir then you dive in it, pool full of liqur then you diiiive in it"

One would not last long diving into a pool of liquor. :D

JoeBlessU
08-14-2013, 04:47 PM
He is actually one of the better ones in the game today.

What game does he play?

Clippersfan86
08-14-2013, 04:51 PM
They all trash, if he wants to go at some one good like Lupe then I'll listen.

You know Lupe is the only more recent guy that I liked a lot. I'm actually bummed he's kind of disappeared a little bit. The style of the story telling in this song https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gl83mI69nX4 is classic and kind of reminds me of Slick Rick.

Story telling MC's are beautiful and rare nowadays. Lupe's delivery was incredibly smooth too. I wonder why he stopped putting as much stuff out?

ChiTownPacerFan
08-14-2013, 04:55 PM
I know all those guys well, especially RA whom I LOVE. They're phenomenal lyricists and rhymers, but there's more to "hip-hop" than just that. The OGs weren't rappers like those guys are. I appreciate the hell out of all that type of music, but it's just a narrow sect of hip-hop. Their music is NOT the ONLY type of "hip-hop". Not at all. It isn't any more "real" or not.

I'm not sure what makes that "real hip-hop" and what Kendrick does "not real hip-hop"

When I say real, I mean genuine. I don't think anything about Kendrick Lamar is genuine. It's the same as listening to Three Days Grace or Papa Roach. That isn't "real" rock, and this isn't "real" hip hop. It's not real because there's no passion in it. It sounds so cookie cutter. These guys are just fitting into a predetermined mold that every other dude already sounds like. It's a style that his been so over marketed that it all just sounds like self-parody to me at this point.

I know there are other types of hip hop. I love **** from Blackalicious and Jurassic 5, to Eminem and Wu Tang, to Aesop and Del, to Kool G and Rakim, to Andre 3000 and Talib Kweli, etc. etc.....

There is more to rap than rhyme scemes, there's also content and flow. Kendrick doesn't impress me in either regard. Yeah, the beats he's rapping over are alright, but that has nothing to do with him (I assume he doesn't produce his own beats, maybe he does). What exactly about his rapping ability is better than average? If you agree that he's not on par with the best best rhymers, then you're saying his flow and content blow you away. I know it's all subjective, but like I said, I don't get it.

When I say I don't like his flow, I don't mean that he's literally off beat. Yes, he can rap to the beat. He can rap to a variety of beats. However, there's nothing interesting or unique about the way he's rapping. He sounds like so many other people. I just don't understand the argument for him being "one of the best". One of the best at what?!

Kuya_Clive
08-14-2013, 04:59 PM
You know Lupe is the only more recent guy that I liked a lot. I'm actually bummed he's kind of disappeared a little bit. The style of the story telling in this song https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gl83mI69nX4 is classic and kind of reminds me of Slick Rick.

Story telling MC's are beautiful and rare nowadays. Lupe's delivery was incredibly smooth too. I wonder why he stopped putting as much stuff out?

Lupe's first two albums were classics. He actually came out with a response "SLR 2."

Clippersfan86
08-14-2013, 04:59 PM
When I say real, I mean genuine. I don't think anything about Kendrick Lamar is genuine. It's the same as listening to Three Days Grace or Papa Roach. That isn't "real" rock, and this isn't "real" hip hop. It's not real because there's no passion in it. It sounds so cookie cutter. These guys are just fitting into a predetermined mold that every other dude already sounds like. It's a style that his been so over marketed that it all just sounds like self-parody to me at this point.

I know there are other types of hip hop. I love **** from Blackalicious and Jurassic 5, to Eminem and Wu Tang, to Aesop and Del, to Kool G and Rakim, to Andre 3000 and Talib Kweli, etc. etc.....

There is more to rap than rhyme scemes, there's also content and flow. Kendrick doesn't impress me in either regard. Yeah, the beats he's rapping over are alright, but that has nothing to do with him (I assume he doesn't produce his own beats, maybe he does). What exactly about his rapping ability is better than average? If you agree that he's not on par with the best best rhymers, then you're saying his flow and content blow you away. I know it's all subjective, but like I said, I don't get it.

When I say I don't like his flow, I don't mean that he's literally off beat. Yes, he can rap to the beat. He can rap to a variety of beats. However, there's nothing interesting or unique about the way he's rapping. He sounds like so many other people. I just don't understand the argument for him being "one of the best". One of the best at what?!

You just baptized this thread. Kudos sir.

Kashmir13579
08-14-2013, 05:10 PM
#knickstape

Kashmir13579
08-14-2013, 05:12 PM

word! Kendrick Lamar is barely worth my time.

ps great avatar, love me some Pilkington

IversonIsKrazy
08-14-2013, 05:23 PM
Lol this was kinda crap, but pretty good for a NBA player. KDot's verse was awesome, creating so much buzz and excitement for hip-hop. Prlly hasnt been this exciting since the Nas/Jay beef.
So far I'd say the responses would go like this;

Joell Ortiz > Lupe > King Los > Cassidy.
B.o.B's was trash. It seems like all the NY rappers and ppl NOT mentioned will respond. I wanna hear the guys that were actually mentioned respond tho, like Cole, ASAP, etc. Meek was weak not to respond and only say statement.

ChiTownPacerFan
08-14-2013, 05:27 PM
word! Kendrick Lamar is barely worth my time.

ps great avatar, love me some Pilkington

Yup. More people need to know the brilliance/stupidity that is Karl.

Kuya_Clive
08-14-2013, 05:31 PM
Lol this was kinda crap, but pretty good for a NBA player. KDot's verse was awesome, creating so much buzz and excitement for hip-hop. Prlly hasnt been this exciting since the Nas/Jay beef.
So far I'd say the responses would go like this;

Joell Ortiz > Lupe > King Los > Cassidy.
B.o.B's was trash. It seems like all the NY rappers and ppl NOT mentioned will respond. I wanna hear the guys that were actually mentioned respond tho, like Cole, ASAP, etc. Meek was weak not to respond and only say statement.

Yea, I can't remember the last time so many people, including other rappers, talked about something said in a rapper's verse in a long time. This spirit of competition is something you do not see that much in hip hop nowadays with rappers playing nice all the time.

Clippersfan86
08-14-2013, 05:34 PM
I like the act itself and the intent of what Kendrick did. My gripe is all the hype then I go listen and it's mediocre. That's all I'm saying.

Kashmir13579
08-14-2013, 05:36 PM
Yup. More people need to know the brilliance/stupidity that is Karl.

"My teeth know i'm stressed before i do"

KingsOfQueens
08-14-2013, 05:38 PM
Am I the only one who thinks Lupe's response was fire? Cass and Los as well. But shouts to K-Dot, I love what this one verse has done for Hip Hop.

Side note: Jay Elec had the best verse on that track.

KingsOfQueens
08-14-2013, 05:41 PM
I've already addressed and elaborated on this. Kendrick is "quality" compared to what's out but the hype to talent ratio is HORRIBLE. People act like this guy is some mind blowing prodigy.

I agree. Kendrick is dope. But he's overrated at the same time.

ManRam
08-14-2013, 05:42 PM
When I say real, I mean genuine. I don't think anything about Kendrick Lamar is genuine.

I couldn't keep reading after this. Have you listened to his music? It's as genuine as it gets. GKMC was a ****ing story of his entire life. He's never trying to be anything he isn't. He's brutally honest at times.

Sorry, I see no reason to keep reading until you elaborate that, because that's just a stupid statement.

I did see the list of guys/groups you named, and trust me, I love them all too. Talib is probably one of my 5 favorites ever. I consider Rakim to be the greatest rapper ever (though not my "favorite") I don't think Kendrick is too dissimilar from all of them, at all. And if he is, you're doing a poor job explaining why because I can't even fathom the "not genuine" thing.

ChiTownPacerFan
08-14-2013, 05:47 PM
I couldn't keep reading after this. Have you listened to his music? It's as genuine as it gets. GKMC was a ****ing story of his entire life. He's never trying to be anything he isn't. He's brutally honest at times.

Sorry, I see no reason to keep reading until you elaborate that, because that's just a stupid statement.

I did see the list of guys/groups you named, and trust me, I love them all too. Talib is probably one of my 5 favorites ever. I don't think Kendrick is too dissimilar from all of them, at all. And if he is, you're doing a poor job explaining why because I can't even fathom the "not genuine" thing.

To be fair, I've only listened to the two tracks I told you, and the Control verse. I suppose it's possible that he has some really deep meaningful tracks out there, but I remain skeptical. Maybe I'll check out some more if I have time.

KingsOfQueens
08-14-2013, 05:47 PM

I did see the list of guys/groups you named, and trust me, I love them all too. Talib is probably one of my 5 favorites ever. I consider Rakim to be the greatest rapper ever (though not my "favorite") I don't think Kendrick is too dissimilar from all of them, at all. And if he is, you're doing a poor job explaining why because I can't even fathom the "not genuine" thing.

Co-sign this statement 100% from beginning to end. Kendrick is pretty genuine. From Overly Dedicated to Section 80, to GKMC. He's gotten a tad overrated, but definitely not "not genuine".

Anyone saw Talib's tweet regarding NY rappers sounding too southern?

KingsOfQueens
08-14-2013, 05:49 PM
To be fair, I've only listened to the two tracks I told you, and the Control verse. I suppose it's possible that he has some really deep meaningful tracks out there, but I remain skeptical. Maybe I'll check out some more if I have time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=27HVvRUMy7E - Faith

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ep0hay4Qw54 - HiiiPower

Kuya_Clive
08-14-2013, 05:51 PM
Co-sign this statement 100% from beginning to end. Kendrick is pretty genuine. From Overly Dedicated to Section 80, to GKMC. He's gotten a tad overrated, but definitely not "not genuine".

Anyone saw Talib's tweet regarding NY rappers sounding too southern?

GKMC was awesome, but there are a ton of Kendrick Stans out there now which is almost as annoying as haters. But I love the fact that he's getting his due now so I guess the d-riders are apart of the process.

SlimKid
08-14-2013, 05:53 PM
The d-riding of Kendrick is strong in this thread

KingsOfQueens
08-14-2013, 05:55 PM
GKMC was awesome, but there are a ton of Kendrick Stans out there now which is almost as annoying as haters. But I love the fact that he's getting his due now so I guess the d-riders are apart of the process.

Yeah thats what sucks. I remember when he came out with O.D. I was begging my boys to listen to him and they were like nah he's wack his beats suck and he sounds like a chipmunk. Eventually he grew on every one of them and now the world is on his jock. I wish there an inbetween.

He's good. Very good. But not THAT good. Its just really difficult to gauge how good he is because most of the other rappers in his age cohort are trash.

ManRam
08-14-2013, 05:55 PM
The d-riding of Kendrick is strong in this thread

As is the opposite :shrug:

Music is subjective, that's really all it is. Young can say factually inaccurate things like "Kendrick isn't genuine" but in the end you either enjoy **** or you don't. People to get caught up, especially with hip-hop, what it "should" be or whatever. In the end you either enjoy it or you don't and who should tell you otherwise.

KingsOfQueens
08-14-2013, 05:57 PM
All I know is, I can't go through GKMC with the same love as I did when it came out.

Yet I still listen to Illmatic legit everyday for the past I don't know how many years. That says something. lol

KobeOwnSU
08-14-2013, 05:57 PM
Kendrick's hype is a product of the lack of talent within the rap industry. He woulda been destroyed in the 90's. Average flow, Average beat, Good but not great lyrics.

ManRam
08-14-2013, 05:58 PM
Yeah thats what sucks. I remember when he came out with O.D. I was begging my boys to listen to him and they were like nah he's wack his beats suck and he sounds like a chipmunk. Eventually he grew on every one of them and now the world is on his jock. I wish there an inbetween.

Is that really atypical for any unknown artist who blows up?

I'm the type of guy who hates liking what everyone else likes, but I too have been following him for years and years now, and genuinely think he's amazing. I'm not quite ready to let the mainstream love he's getting change how I feel about him. I can't think of any of the "new ******", as he calls them in the song, that I enjoy more. Maybe Danny Brown. IDK. I genuinely like him that much. His music is refreshing. His talent oozes out of him and he always is changing it up while being poignant at the same time.

This verse isn't even one of my favorites of his, FAR from it...but it's the reaction it's sparked that is going to have people remembering it for a long time. He's getting people excited again. Getting people angered. He's challenging everyone, including himself, to step it up. That's hip hop. Period.

ChiTownPacerFan
08-14-2013, 06:04 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=27HVvRUMy7E - Faith

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ep0hay4Qw54 - HiiiPower

That faith track. :puke:

As for the other one. That couldn't be a more stale "political track". I'm reminded of Sage's "How to write a political poem".

"cause I have seen devastation
and gentrification
and I can talk with great articulation
about cosmic constellations
of atomic radiation
I saw D.W. Griffiths 'A Birth of a Nation'
but I preferred Disney's '102 Dalmations.'
and like a cross examination
I can give you the explanation of
why films like 'Slam Nation'
are the ultimate manifestation of
of poetical ejaculation
and egotistical manipulation
and other things that rhyme like...ation.
with Haitian.
and this nation."

Kendrick LITERALLY rhymes Haitian and nation, lol.

ManRam
08-14-2013, 06:06 PM
HiiiPoWeR is one of my 5 favorite songs of the last decade :shrug:

"Stale"? Again, music is subjective. To me that song is powerful, emotional and poignant. It hits something for me.

ChiTownPacerFan
08-14-2013, 06:09 PM
As is the opposite :shrug:

Music is subjective, that's really all it is. Young can say factually inaccurate things like "Kendrick isn't genuine" but in the end you either enjoy **** or you don't. People to get caught up, especially with hip-hop, what it "should" be or whatever. In the end you either enjoy it or you don't and who should tell you otherwise.

I agree 100%. I have no problem with anyone liking anything or disliking anything. I don't think that my tastes are better than anyone's. As I've said several times, I just don't get the love for KL.

KingsOfQueens
08-14-2013, 06:10 PM
That faith track. :puke:

As for the other one. That couldn't be a more stale "political track". I'm reminded of Sage's "How to write a political poem".

"cause I have seen devastation
and gentrification
and I can talk with great articulation
about cosmic constellations
of atomic radiation
I saw D.W. Griffiths 'A Birth of a Nation'
but I preferred Disney's '102 Dalmations.'
and like a cross examination
I can give you the explanation of
why films like 'Slam Nation'
are the ultimate manifestation of
of poetical ejaculation
and egotistical manipulation
and other things that rhyme like...ation.
with Haitian.
and this nation."

Kendrick LITERALLY rhymes Haitian and nation, lol.

How anyone can dislike "Faith" is beyond me? Please tell me what you didn't like about it. I really want to know. Not tryna sound like a ********, I just really want to know what you dislike about it.

KingsOfQueens
08-14-2013, 06:12 PM
Is that really atypical for any unknown artist who blows up?

I'm the type of guy who hates liking what everyone else likes, but I too have been following him for years and years now, and genuinely think he's amazing. I'm not quite ready to let the mainstream love he's getting change how I feel about him. I can't think of any of the "new ******", as he calls them in the song, that I enjoy more. Maybe Danny Brown. IDK. I genuinely like him that much. His music is refreshing. His talent oozes out of him and he always is changing it up while being poignant at the same time.

This verse isn't even one of my favorites of his, FAR from it...but it's the reaction it's sparked that is going to have people remembering it for a long time. He's getting people excited again. Getting people angered. He's challenging everyone, including himself, to step it up. That's hip hop. Period.

Yeah it always happens when an artist blows up.

I agree, this isn't my favorite Kendrick verse, but I love what its done for Hip Hop. Its been missing that raw gutter competition. Too much skinny jean wearing, singing, Drake impersonating faggetry.

ManRam
08-14-2013, 06:12 PM
I agree 100%. I have no problem with anyone liking anything or disliking anything. I don't think that my tastes are better than anyone's. As I've said several times, I just don't get the love for KL.

I think you've made that abundantly clear ;)

Why waste so much breath over a musician/music you don't like though?

ChiTownPacerFan
08-14-2013, 06:13 PM
HiiiPoWeR is one of my 5 favorite songs of the last decade :shrug:

"Stale"? Again, music is subjective. To me that song is powerful, emotional and poignant. It hits something for me.

It's not terrible. He just isn't really saying anything. There's way more emotion in the beat than in his lyrics, imo.

ManRam
08-14-2013, 06:14 PM
It's not terrible. He just isn't really saying anything. There's way more emotion in the beat than in his lyrics, imo.

Take some time out of your day.

http://rapgenius.com/Kendrick-lamar-hiiipower-lyrics

ChiTownPacerFan
08-14-2013, 06:14 PM
I think you've made that abundantly clear ;)

Why waste so much breath over a musician/music you don't like though?

The same reason you're "wasting breath" responding to me. Boredom.

KingsOfQueens
08-14-2013, 06:18 PM
Kendrick wasn't saying anything on HiiiPower!? Uh, did you have it on mute?

KingsOfQueens
08-14-2013, 06:20 PM
"Everything on TV just a figment of imagination, I don't want a plastic nation, dread that like a Haitian. While you mothaphukkas waitin, I'll be off this slave-ship, building pyramids, writing my own hieroglyphs."

ManRam
08-14-2013, 06:23 PM
Kendrick wasn't saying anything on HiiiPower!? Uh, did you have it on mute?

He's trying to make his point clear at the expense of anything and everything.

Bravo95
08-14-2013, 06:24 PM
Hmmmm....

Jesse2272
08-14-2013, 06:27 PM
Shumps is nicey on the micy

Christopherson
08-14-2013, 06:29 PM
Salute is in order for ManRam for his efforts in this thread.

There is straight tomfoolery going on in here right now.

Let me put it like this: If you don't like Kendrick Lamar (which is fine) then clearly today's rap is not for you. And stop giving it a try, because you're obviously wasting your time and effort.

JonnyBushido
08-14-2013, 06:34 PM
Salute to ManRam for trying to open some minds.

"Them 90's ****** raped the game
And left us with a battered and bruised *****, with a few kids
The ***** loose, but the truth is I love her, though
She ain't perfect, but who is?"- J.Cole

Bravo95
08-14-2013, 06:37 PM
Rap fans can say they don't like his Kendrick Lamar's flow/voice, I wouldn't object to anyone saying it's an acquired taste or whatever. But saying he doesn't have content is a tough argument to make. If that were true, the older generation (MCs and fans) wouldn't respect him as much as they clearly do. He's receiving approval from gatekeepers that other proven hitmakers like Drake are still waiting for.

KingsOfQueens
08-14-2013, 06:39 PM
Yeah I don't know how anyone can say Kendrick doesn't have content when the OG's everyone loves and respects saying he has content. Sooo...

JonnyBushido
08-14-2013, 06:41 PM
Rap fans can say they don't like his Kendrick Lamar's flow/voice, I wouldn't object to anyone saying it's an acquired taste or whatever. But saying he doesn't have content is a tough argument to make. If that were true, the older generation (MCs and fans) wouldn't respect him as much as they clearly do. He's receiving approval from gatekeepers that other proven hitmakers like Drake are still waiting for.

I agree. It's ironic that the same rappers these guys are saying are the G.O.A.T. and would wipe the floor with Kendrick Lamar, are also the guys have have cosigned him and given their "blessing" if you will.

Clippersfan86
08-14-2013, 06:55 PM
I agree. Kendrick is dope. But he's overrated at the same time.

Yea I mean I wouldn't go out of my way to listen to him (not really my style) but this is a fair statement. I took issue with 200000000000000 million tweets about how incredible this "diss track" was and all the people calling him rap's savior.

Clippersfan86
08-14-2013, 06:58 PM

And there is a reason for that like I said. It's not because he's a crazy good MC. It's because in comparison to the scrubs out right now he's at least TALENTED and has something remotely decent to say. To stand out as a rapper in this era isn't hard considering the top rappers (popularity wise) like Lil Wayne, Drake etc have almost zero substance to their lyrics.

Jesse2272
08-14-2013, 07:01 PM
Lupes **** was crazy

not feelin Kend

Someone needed to stir up the rap game

Bravo95
08-14-2013, 07:02 PM
The OGs want to see competition because we all know Jay-Z will be hanging it up soon or switching to cruise control after nearly 15 years of being the dominant voice of rap. (People don't realize how big that is. Rappers just don't last this long as #1).

So the OGs who are 'upset' right now are the ones who can't understand why it's taking so long for the called out rappers to respond to the challenge. KL had credibility, momentum, and threw down the gauntlet... and their silence (or inability to step their rap game up going forward) will only gain KL more respect from the old guard.

If your favorite rapper has bars and some heart, you should appreciate what KL did, whether you actually like him or not.

ManRam
08-14-2013, 07:11 PM
And there is a reason for that like I said. It's not because he's a crazy good MC. It's because in comparison to the scrubs out right now he's at least TALENTED and has something remotely decent to say. To stand out as a rapper in this era isn't hard considering the top rappers (popularity wise) like Lil Wayne, Drake etc have almost zero substance to their lyrics.

If you're theory is right then why hasn't some more talented rapper walked in his footsteps instead of him? I mean, it would be so easy right, considering everyone just sucks? If all it takes is simply being more talented than the talentless, then why was it HIM who stood out like this. Oh yeah, probably because people actually do think he's a crazy good MC and respect the **** out of him.

His acclaim isn't because everyone else sucks. That's just a dumb thing to say. You don't like him, that's fine. Doesn't mean he's not great at what he does. There is a reason most everyone does.

Bravo95
08-14-2013, 07:14 PM
This is that whole 'Could Player X have been great in Insert Previous Era?!' thing that sport fans do. I grew up in the golden era of rap music, an album like GKMC would have worked out just fine in the 90s. Everybody didn't have to do mafioso rap to succeed back then. But hey that's just my opinion, and the older MCs (who rarely give anybody props) show him respect so there's that.

SeoulBeatz
08-14-2013, 07:15 PM

Shump is the best rapper in the NBA a.k.a the tallest midget.

In terms of actual lyrical content, he said a whole lotta nothing. Only a couple actual punchlines (that I've heard many times before). I agree with you Manram, Joell's verse was the best I've heard so far but that's because he's all about the punches.

bucketss
08-14-2013, 07:22 PM

you mentioned ludacris before, you think luda is a better lyricist than kendrick lolz.

bucketss
08-14-2013, 07:26 PM
How anyone can dislike "Faith" is beyond me? Please tell me what you didn't like about it. I really want to know. Not tryna sound like a ********, I just really want to know what you dislike about it.

he listened to it with his mind made up already that it sucked lol, thats what most these guys do.

ILLUSIONIST^248
08-14-2013, 07:58 PM

:clap:

ILLUSIONIST^248
08-14-2013, 07:59 PM
This feels weird agreeing with both Manram and Buckets in the same thread.

Clippersfan86
08-14-2013, 08:13 PM
you mentioned ludacris before, you think luda is a better lyricist than kendrick lolz.

I don't think Luda is a better lyricist actually, I just think he has a better, less boring and generic delivery and sound. At least Ludacris carved out a unique niche in the south and has a handful of classics. A huge part of what makes a music artist special is a unique sound or style. Ludacris pretty much sounds like nobody, Kendrick sounds like a generic rapper to me who hasn't done anything unique or special.

dtmagnet
08-14-2013, 08:22 PM
Maybe its because I'm white, but I have no idea what any of this is.

bucketss
08-14-2013, 08:23 PM
I don't think Luda is a better lyricist actually, I just think he has a better, less boring and generic delivery and sound. At least Ludacris carved out a unique niche in the south and has a handful of classics. A huge part of what makes a music artist special is a unique sound or style. Ludacris pretty much sounds like nobody, Kendrick sounds like a generic rapper to me who hasn't done anything unique or special.

this sound generic to you?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=10yrPDf92hY

listen to good kid m.a.a.d city album, that wasn't special? many have called it a classic...

MrfadeawayJB
08-14-2013, 08:33 PM
Not bad for a NBA player

Clippersfan86
08-14-2013, 08:33 PM

listen to good kid m.a.a.d city album, that wasn't special? many have called it a classic...

Yes :eyebrow:. He spit a pretty good first verse but yes still doesn't sound unique or special to me. "Many have called it a classic" doesn't change my point of view. Trust me.. I would LOVE for there to be high quality hip hop today in the mainstream but I just don't see it much. Kendrick is quality compared to what's out but he's not the monster people want to make him out to be.

fresh prince
08-14-2013, 08:43 PM
Why did Shumpert feel the need to put this half hearted non mastered track out? Was it just because Kendrick said he was the King Of New York on the control track?

I dont get it.

ChiTownPacerFan
08-14-2013, 09:06 PM
If you're theory is right then why hasn't some more talented rapper walked in his footsteps instead of him? I mean, it would be so easy right, considering everyone just sucks? If all it takes is simply being more talented than the talentless, then why was it HIM who stood out like this. Oh yeah, probably because people actually do think he's a crazy good MC and respect the **** out of him.

His acclaim isn't because everyone else sucks. That's just a dumb thing to say. You don't like him, that's fine. Doesn't mean he's not great at what he does. There is a reason most everyone does.

Really dude? Because becoming a famous rapper has nothing to do with talent. It's all about money, politics, and marketing. That's the game! Whoever is the best at that, is on top. Miley Cyrus has the number 2 song in the country right now. I'm sure that's because Miley Cyrus is the second best musician. KL is just a slightly more talented rapper who also plays the game right. That's it. His mediocre talent does stand out amongst his Godawful peers, but that doesn't mean that he's a "crazy good MC". There are plenty of way more talented rappers that go other routes.

bucketss
08-14-2013, 09:33 PM
Really dude? Because becoming a famous rapper has nothing to do with talent. It's all about money, politics, and marketing. That's the game! Whoever is the best at that, is on top. Miley Cyrus has the number 2 song in the country right now. I'm sure that's because Miley Cyrus is the second best musician. KL is just a slightly more talented rapper who also plays the game right. That's it. His mediocre talent does stand out amongst his Godawful peers, but that doesn't mean that he's a "crazy good MC". There are plenty of way more talented rappers that go other routes.

oh please, kendrick went to the top because of his talent, listen to "rigamortus" and come back and say thats "mediocre" talent.

miley is such a horrible comparison, she was already famous before she went into music, kendrick was a nobody, he climbed the ranks as an underground rapper. gained respect from many of the games old school guys.

SportsFanatic10
08-14-2013, 09:55 PM

same here, but i'm not much for rap. sometimes i listen to it if i'm with friends who are into rap, but if i'm on my own the only rap artists i care to listen to are tupac and eminem.

numba1CHANGsta
08-14-2013, 10:05 PM
You see this is wrong with "rappers" now a days, just cuz they mention your name dont mean its a diss, its a way for rappers to step up their game cuz rappers are a dieing breed

Jarvo
08-14-2013, 10:14 PM
All the response tracks were wack outside of Astro & Joel, But Ima. Should just stick to basketball.

Jarvo
08-14-2013, 10:19 PM
But it's sad that a rapper from Cali to wake rappers up in NY like that all these no names or dudes who we havent heard in sometime now are making records.

BigEric
08-14-2013, 10:34 PM
Idk about you guys, but Im really lookin forward to DORIS (haven't heard it leaked, waiting for the release).

b@llhog24
08-14-2013, 10:35 PM
Get the fu** out. Overrated or not he would obliterate the living sh** out of Kendrick.People remember LL from when he crossed over to more R&B/pop and forget his roots were a battle rapper. People seem to have forgotten what hip hop was about. You can stick to TMZ rappers if you want.

So is Cassidy; doesn't mean he's a better rapper than KDot. Btw the bolded as a contradiction to the whole "rappers didn't have to adjust to be succesful look at Slim" point that you (or some other guy bashing KL) were making earlier.

See this would probably have more credibility if you didn't never sad this.

Green Storm
08-14-2013, 10:49 PM

**** no. lol

GiantsSwaGG
08-14-2013, 11:58 PM

Stop it.....

LL is garbage, canibus ended his career

http://youtu.be/z63cQKWlDgQ

GiantsSwaGG
08-14-2013, 11:59 PM

You're definitely not in the loop. I don't like Lamar myself but he can spit

GiantsSwaGG
08-15-2013, 12:00 AM
same here, but i'm not much for rap. sometimes i listen to it if i'm with friends who are into rap, but if i'm on my own the only rap artists i care to listen to are tupac and eminem.

Both of you guys prolly listen to Disney music more than rap lol

Sadds The Gr8
08-15-2013, 12:00 AM

completely agree. I've become a big Kendrick fan the past year, and even I think this Control verse is overrated as ****. Kendrick's stans (just like alot of music artist stans) have become annoying as **** and are riding his nuts way too hard.

About this whole deal though, it's cool for now, but the hype is way overblown. I'm predicting that this will all die and be irrelevant in 1-2 weeks. Mostly irrelevant rappers are responding (I like Joell, BOB, and Lupe, but nobody is really taking their diss records seriously, they'll be 1 and done's because I highly doubt Kendrick cares to respond). This is all spur of the moment bull **** and twitter hype. The whole "THIS VERSE WILL CHANGE HIPHOP!" is ****in bull **** in my mind.

GiantsSwaGG
08-15-2013, 12:01 AM

But yet you can name every song Miley Cirus made right? Lol

SportsFanatic10
08-15-2013, 12:05 AM
Both of you guys prolly listen to Disney music more than rap lol

what is disney music lol. i don't listen to a lot of music these days, but i'm all about the rock and roll. i still love listening to guns n roses from when they were together. that's where it's at, that's real music.

GiantsSwaGG
08-15-2013, 12:07 AM
what is disney music lol. i don't listen to a lot of music these days, but i'm all about the rock and roll. i still love listening to guns n roses from when they were together. that's where it's at, that's real music.

Lol gun n roses still playing? My uncle was a huge U2 fan, hated them with a passion!

SportsFanatic10
08-15-2013, 12:10 AM
Lol gun n roses still playing? My uncle was a huge U2 fan, hated them with a passion!

lol ya i probably sound old, i just got older tastes i guess. they are still a band, but it's not the same with mostly different members now besides axl rose. not a big U2 guy either but they have a few songs i could listen to.

Clippersfan86
08-15-2013, 12:26 AM
Stop it.....

LL is garbage, canibus ended his career

http://youtu.be/z63cQKWlDgQ

Were you even alive then? It's actually quite the opposite. After the LL beef Canibus flopped entirely and LL went on to have the most success in music/movies of his entire career. That being said Canibus was a respected battle rapper and lyricist (some called him a modern day Rakim), although he tried to make a name starting random beef and it cost him. Canibus was no joke but to say he ended the career of a guy who went on to make most of his money AFTER that beef is dumb. Most people agree that the actual battle was pretty much a draw.

Clippersfan86
08-15-2013, 12:31 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7oMnEzo_N10

Canibus made a name off trying to take shots at the top MC's to get attention and got his *** handed to him by Eminem years later too.

faze38
08-15-2013, 01:09 AM
This!

Better then the verse that everyone is going nuts off probably debatable but better then most of Kendrick's music you are out of your mind. Have you actually listened to Kendrick or did you turn on that verse to see what everyone is talking about? I mean in my eyes I'm still a believer in real rap like Nas, Tribe Called Quest, Biggie, Pac, the Wu and Outkast. Tech 9 will always have my respect but the rest of these dudes come on now. Tonedeff was straight awful, Sadistik was alright nothing to play on repeat. That rugged man was alright too but still not touching 98% of Kendrick's music. I mean some people go to extremes to make a point.

faze38
08-15-2013, 01:14 AM
Were you even alive then? It's actually quite the opposite. After the LL beef Canibus flopped entirely and LL went on to have the most success in music/movies of his entire career. That being said Canibus was a respected battle rapper and lyricist (some called him a modern day Rakim), although he tried to make a name starting random beef and it cost him. Canibus was no joke but to say he ended the career of a guy who went on to make most of his money AFTER that beef is dumb. Most people agree that the actual battle was pretty much a draw.

Are you serious here Jack the Ripper didn't even touch 2nd round knockout. I mean any real hip hop fan will tell you Canibus made the better dis song. LL just had all the sponsorship. I mean LL is like AIG in the eyes of def jam he was to big to fail but if your true to yourself and hip hop you know who won that battle! Eminem slaughtered him tho!

Clippersfan86
08-15-2013, 02:20 AM
Are you serious here Jack the Ripper didn't even touch 2nd round knockout. I mean any real hip hop fan will tell you Canibus made the better dis song. LL just had all the sponsorship. I mean LL is like AIG in the eyes of def jam he was to big to fail but if your true to yourself and hip hop you know who won that battle! Eminem slaughtered him tho!

I didn't single out any of the specific diss tracks did I? 2nd round Knockout>Jack The Ripper but the rest of LL's disses>Canibus' which is why as I said it's generally considered a draw. Never seen a perspective that had Canibus straight up killing him or clearly winning (same with LL). I didn't say one or the other won though, mainly just saying that it's beyond false to say LL's career was killed by Canibus because it wasn't. Maybe that was for the reasons you said but it doesn't change the facts. LL went on to do MORE with his career POST Canibus battle.

ThuglifeJ
08-15-2013, 07:28 AM
He reminds me of a young Andre 3000 a bit.. the way he stays true to being artistic. I think swimming pools is one of his worst songs, which bugs me for its replay and what many will judge him on who don't look into his stuff more.

Anyways..

The thing about this verse that drives me NUTS is that everyone is so DUMB. I was told this is the best diss song since 'hit em up'. ???. Hit em up was about how 2pac hated these guys and wanted em dead.. literally. Kendricks verse was about...well Its been explained in here. Pretty obvious it wasn't a diss song.

Kendrick has deserving respect from mostly everyone.. past or present. I even just heard him out of nowhere on the radio in a song with Tech N9ne. A must listen

He's not a savior, but he is a guy to continue the legacy of keeping real music relevant

JiffyMix88
08-15-2013, 08:04 AM
Kendrick Lamar is lame and so are all the rappers that are making responses for him lol

xxplayerxx23
08-15-2013, 08:46 AM
Eminem> Kendrick :drool:

I love when
Kendrick did though, I respect it. Shumpert having fun I love it. Joel came back strong too, Cass old *** came back kinda tough. Drake about to ***** on the mic about how Kendrick hurt his feelings

faze38
08-15-2013, 09:15 AM
I didn't single out any of the specific diss tracks did I? 2nd round Knockout>Jack The Ripper but the rest of LL's disses>Canibus' which is why as I said it's generally considered a draw. Never seen a perspective that had Canibus straight up killing him or clearly winning (same with LL). I didn't say one or the other won though, mainly just saying that it's beyond false to say LL's career was killed by Canibus because it wasn't. Maybe that was for the reasons you said but it doesn't change the facts. LL went on to do MORE with his career POST Canibus battle.

Man those are really the main songs in the beef 4,3,2,1 was a dis by LL for him asking to borrow the mic of his arm. 2nd round knock out was the response and the Ripper Strikes back (Can-I-Bus, Jack the ripper) was the response to second round. After that Canibus came out wit Rip the Jacker and LL came out with Back where I belong. Those last two tracks were decent by both but 2nd Round is the song that sticks out I mean you can go back and take a listen to them all and i bet you end up feeling Canibus's **** way more then LL's.

faze38
08-15-2013, 09:28 AM
Eminem> Kendrick :drool:

I love when
Kendrick did though, I respect it. Shumpert having fun I love it. Joel came back strong too, Cass old *** came back kinda tough. Drake about to ***** on the mic about how Kendrick hurt his feelings

Nobody wants a part of Em and on top of that people want to talk about him challenging people I mean come on now in my eyes he needs to go after Nas, Jay and Fab if he wants to claim King of NY!! I mean Drake aint even from NY the man is from Toronto! I'm all for the way he stepped up but in order to say something like your the King Of NY you must step up to the big boy league and the song is entertaining but nothing like a Takeover or anyone of the diss tracks off Stillmatic. Best dis song since hit em' up is the stupidest thing I ever heard!

faze38
08-15-2013, 09:39 AM
**** no. lol

not to change the subject but damn you sig is great!!

GiantsSwaGG
08-15-2013, 10:09 AM

Go back in time, LL only had 2 more songs that were good before he retired. And yeah of course he made the most money after that, he went on to become an actor and made the most money after "Any Giving Sunday" listen to canibus lyrics, he destroyed LL and basically called what Lamar is calling these other rappers, "Commerical" rappers. Canibus exposed LL but canibus wasn't a house hold name but if he were LL would of been irrelevant. I say he ended LL because ppl started not to like his flow after that and even LL admitted it that canibus got him. LL stinks, plz say one great verse LL spit?

BklynKnicks3
08-15-2013, 10:13 AM
Cassidy finished him lol. My boy jr writer just did his version. Kendrick is not bad but this is the weakest era in hip hop some people think drake is good lol. Easy to standout right now I grew up in a era biggie,jayz,nas pac,em 2nd tier guys jada fab cam cas. If kendrick rapped in that era he would still be underground

jericho
08-15-2013, 10:25 AM
Why are people over reacting to that verse. I have heard better lines than this. Hell ill even say that the puertorican rapper named yomo would destroy kendrick lamar when it comes to mc battle type of stuff to bad his stuff is in spanish so there is no way for you guys to understand what he says.

Kuya_Clive
08-15-2013, 10:30 AM
Cassidy finished him lol. My boy jr writer just did his version. Kendrick is not bad but this is the weakest era in hip hop some people think drake is good lol. Easy to standout right now I grew up in a era biggie,jayz,nas pac,em 2nd tier guys jada fab cam cas. If kendrick rapped in that era he would still be underground
Well, to be fair, Drake's So Far Gone was good imo.

mavwar53
08-15-2013, 11:32 AM
Everyone is gonna have haters, but there is no debating that Kedrick's verse is good for the game, anyone who was mentioned or felt dissed is going to try to step it up. Only benefitting fans.

Clippersfan86
08-15-2013, 12:20 PM
Man those are really the main songs in the beef 4,3,2,1 was a dis by LL for him asking to borrow the mic of his arm. 2nd round knock out was the response and the Ripper Strikes back (Can-I-Bus, Jack the ripper) was the response to second round. After that Canibus came out wit Rip the Jacker and LL came out with Back where I belong. Those last two tracks were decent by both but 2nd Round is the song that sticks out I mean you can go back and take a listen to them all and i bet you end up feeling Canibus's **** way more then LL's.

Maybe I'll give it another try lol. I was all into rap beef like 5-7 years ago so that's when I saw a documentary on it on I believe MTV? I listened to all the tracks and read the articles years ago.

Clippersfan86
08-15-2013, 12:36 PM
Go back in time, LL only had 2 more songs that were good before he retired. And yeah of course he made the most money after that, he went on to become an actor and made the most money after "Any Giving Sunday" listen to canibus lyrics, he destroyed LL and basically called what Lamar is calling these other rappers, "Commerical" rappers. Canibus exposed LL but canibus wasn't a house hold name but if he were LL would of been irrelevant. I say he ended LL because ppl started not to like his flow after that and even LL admitted it that canibus got him. LL stinks, plz say one great verse LL spit?

When you say "killed his career" I'm assuming you mean career in general, not just music. LL's decline wasn't like Canibus where it was a sudden vanish, it was after a very long career. His first CD dropped in 85 and was an instant classic, going Platinum when rap wasn't even bought much outside of Run DMC. Didn't stop until 00 with GOAT. I don't think it had to do with a loss to Canibus as much as it did he had been a rapper for around 20 years and it was time. Unless you count his random 08 album (then it's 25+ years) but I won't.

LL's rapping skills as I said are often forgotten due to his switch to a more R&B style but his roots were as a battle MC in Queens.

His first mainstream hit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SavVH4W1lxc

Few freestyles.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-IeWgiqJpgM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FsR34cTxj9I

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Vycea30GuM

You really question him as a true lyricist?

bucketss
08-15-2013, 02:41 PM

is that why nas,jayzm fab, and all those guys are praising him? lol btw i like fab, but lets get real, kendrick will murder him, cas is a good freestyle rapper.

Shlumpledink
08-15-2013, 02:57 PM
Kendrick Lamar is this generation's chingy

JoeBlessU
08-15-2013, 03:00 PM

Lol nice.

Captain Moroni
08-15-2013, 03:02 PM
Iman...stick to hoops

GiantsSwaGG
08-15-2013, 03:09 PM

Right thurrr

bucketss
08-15-2013, 03:22 PM
chingy ..loool

AIMelo=KillaDUO
08-15-2013, 03:41 PM
I'm bout to make my response to Kendrick too. Stay tuned.

bucketss
08-15-2013, 03:52 PM
skip to 4:13 of this video , kendricks verse, thats not talent?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TsMMuXZZUm8

Clippersfan86
08-15-2013, 04:05 PM
skip to 4:13 of this video , kendricks verse, thats not talent?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TsMMuXZZUm8

He's talented... he's just nothing special. Just listening to this verse and shrugged. I don't see what you guys see honestly when you put him up with all time greats. The guy said **** 100 times in that verse towards the end to rhyme. Tell me EXACTLY why you think he's special? Not talented or good compared to what's out there but why is he not super generic?

Clippersfan86
08-15-2013, 04:12 PM

I'll post this again as an example of a rap PRODIGY. A true game changer who has INSANE talent and rapping fundamentals. Kendrick is a small fry.

kgformvp21
08-15-2013, 04:23 PM

I'll post this again as an example of a rap PRODIGY. A true game changer who has INSANE talent and rapping fundamentals. Kendrick is a small fry.

slug fell off a long time ago man..smh

Bravo95
08-15-2013, 04:46 PM
Canibus didn't end LL's career. LL and Father time end LL's career.

"The Ripper Strikes Back" ended that battle. After that, LL didn't have much left.

C_Mund
08-15-2013, 04:49 PM

I agree that it's a wicked album but man do people throw the word "classic" around these days.....

Anyway, just to fit my two cents into the argument, there's always going to be hip hop purists that see guys like KL as riding the stylistic coat-tails of somebody a'la Drake.

1. Drake, when actually just spitting, can be phenomenal. That mixtape he did with 9th Wonder and Little Brother was really really good

2. A million guys have come out with that robotic sounding voice since, but KL (In my opinion, not trying to convince people to like things they don't....) has taken a new sound and made it his own. Somebody in the thread mentioned that he's like a modern-young Andre, and that's something a couple buddies and I have discussed at length.

3. Just because somebody is young and goes off of what's hot now doesn't mean that they have no passion. If there was no Rakim would there have been a Nas? Not likely. Also, if there was no Primo or Large Pro would there have been an Illmatic? Nope. All albums and styles come from more than just what somebody is saying in front of a mic.

4. For all of the purists out there..... GET OVER IT! We all know that Nas, Pac, Big, blah blah blah were the greatest and the pioneers. Guess what? There's so many other artists out there that are carrying the torch of true hip hop but, like one of my best friends who refuses to listen to ANYTHING that wasn't on his ipod the first time he loaded it up, you're missing out on mc's that are new to the game and others that have been killing it for like 20 years (Masta Ace, anyone?)

Anyway. Hip hop is probably the most fickle genre of music because everybody is clamoring to get you to listen to what they got spinning and won't give your **** the time of day. I've seen it over and over again. Just cuz you don't like something doesn't mean that it sucks. Just because somebody's really good doesn't mean you gotta feel their ish. Too bad people can't just respect everybody else's tastes in hip hop.

bucketss
08-15-2013, 04:49 PM
He's talented... he's just nothing special. Just listening to this verse and shrugged. I don't see what you guys see honestly when you put him up with all time greats. The guy said **** 100 times in that verse towards the end to rhyme. Tell me EXACTLY why you think he's special? Not talented or good compared to what's out there but why is he not super generic?

huh lol c'mon bro, he said ***** three times, and thats funny i didn't even notice he said that lol. you act like the verse was him saying ***** ***** ***** *****, his lyrics and especially flow was top notch there, anything better than luda could do.

also take this in,http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sBvngg87998 <--- this he completely goes in, and this was before the real fame.

Bravo95
08-15-2013, 04:57 PM
Drake about to ***** on the mic about how Kendrick hurt his feelings
Let's be honest: That's really what people are waiting for, lol.

Bravo95
08-15-2013, 05:08 PM
For all of the purists out there..... GET OVER IT! We all know that Nas, Pac, Big, blah blah blah were the greatest and the pioneers. Guess what? There's so many other artists out there that are carrying the torch of true hip hop but, like one of my best friends who refuses to listen to ANYTHING that wasn't on his ipod the first time he loaded it up, you're missing out on mc's that are new to the game and others that have been killing it for like 20 years (Masta Ace, anyone?)
I used to be like this, but had to adapt and give the new class a chance instead of ******** on them. I grew up in the golden era, loved that era, and KL shouted out my all-time favorite rapper (Andre) on 'Control', but hey a lot of those legends are either dead or washed up. And Dre barely puts out music anymore so it's not like I can just sit around waiting on him to drop something lol. Let the young dudes shine and I might hear something I like, and usually do.

People never admit it but the bad attitudes of rap fans (either way too conservative or way too careless) have hurt the game as much as anything.

ManRam
08-15-2013, 06:22 PM

Jesus Christ...

bucketss
08-15-2013, 06:50 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fpMYNxkCsFg

lol if kendrick ever makes a song this horrible than you call him next chingy.

Clippersfan86
08-15-2013, 08:26 PM
slug fell off a long time ago man..smh

I was posting it for Eyedea but Slug still>Kendrick.

HouRealCoach
08-15-2013, 10:05 PM
https://soundcloud.com/endoenova/control-verse-lr-whoispacino

Not a Kendrick Lamar diss but this is my version of it

bucketss
08-15-2013, 10:20 PM

your flow is pretty tight, i was listening to your sound cloud awhile back.

ChiTownPacerFan
08-15-2013, 10:52 PM
Better then the verse that everyone is going nuts off probably debatable but better then most of Kendrick's music you are out of your mind. Have you actually listened to Kendrick or did you turn on that verse to see what everyone is talking about? I mean in my eyes I'm still a believer in real rap like Nas, Tribe Called Quest, Biggie, Pac, the Wu and Outkast. Tech 9 will always have my respect but the rest of these dudes come on now. Tonedeff was straight awful, Sadistik was alright nothing to play on repeat. That rugged man was alright too but still not touching 98% of Kendrick's music. I mean some people go to extremes to make a point.

I know it's all opinion, but if you think Tonedeff is "straight awful", you need to just stop listening to hip-hop altogether. Tonedeff is as sick as anyone ever!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Toxt9yBZTB8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rNKC76csItU&list=PL195DD84B94F0127F

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d48hSTt2JfY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2KbFYBdmM6o

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_EWrgudVnQo

GiantsSwaGG
08-16-2013, 12:43 AM

Tryna get a record deal I see :p

Clippersfan86
08-16-2013, 01:29 AM

Your delivery>>>> Kendrick's. I would rather listen to your stuff than that generic, TMZ gangster :shrug:. Thanks for sharing.

bucketss
08-17-2013, 01:38 AM
Your delivery>>>> Kendrick's. I would rather listen to your stuff than that generic, TMZ gangster :shrug:. Thanks for sharing.

you don't know anything about Kendrick, just stop you're embarrassing yourself. all of raps greats all disagree with you, from nas,common, jayz, kanye,lupe,.. tmz my ***, funny thing is his mixtape, overly dedicated, ***** on anything put up by ludcacris. smh

Clippersfan86
08-17-2013, 03:53 PM
Poor Kendrick TMZ rapper.

faze38
08-18-2013, 05:07 PM
I know it's all opinion, but if you think Tonedeff is "straight awful", you need to just stop listening to hip-hop altogether. Tonedeff is as sick as anyone ever!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Toxt9yBZTB8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rNKC76csItU&list=PL195DD84B94F0127F

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d48hSTt2JfY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2KbFYBdmM6o

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_EWrgudVnQo

His delivery is weak. Lyrically he is half decent but not the next Jigga, Nas, Big L, Pac or anybody great and when your delivery is weak you gonna need to be phenomenal in that area. I mean this style is over done and finished it died in the 90's that's why Jigga stopped using it. I mean the man will never be a star so if you considered that your barometer for skill you should really give up listening to hip hop. I mean honestly you can take all of his best tracks and put them on an album and I can promise you they don't compare to the structure and story telling your getting out of Kendrick's good kid mad city. I mean many people love different styles of hip hop but nobody can deny real talent I mean everyone felt it when Biggie, Pac and Tribe dropped. I'm not feeling that here and if I want to listen to what some call pure hip hop I would much rather pop in a roots album or if i'm looking for something more current I'll go with Slum Villages B side!

TorontoHuskies
08-18-2013, 05:45 PM

He's a new rapper that some think is good, but if he had come out with his stuff in the 90's no one would give a **** about him.

faze38
08-18-2013, 07:10 PM
He's a new rapper that some think is good, but if he had come out with his stuff in the 90's no one would give a **** about him.

See this comment is a funny one last I checked Master P started rapping in the 90s and made it big so why couldn't Kendrick! I mean everyone always remembers the great music that came out of the 90s but forget to mention major garbage players in that era. I mean almost everyone on No Limit was garbage and they made it so give me one good reason why Kendrick who is a hell of a lot more talented then Master P couldn't? I mean his album would def get recognized in the 90s maybe not to the point were he would be brave enough to call himself king after one hit album but he would still be know as a decent rapper! See people act like everyone in the 90s was Nas, Biggie and Pac. I mean Jigga wasn't even big yet so what are people trying to say with these comments! Thats the same thing people said about Em and it's funny how he has passed the test of time and is considered by many one of the top 5 rappers ever!

TorontoHuskies
08-18-2013, 10:42 PM
See this comment is a funny one last I checked Master P started rapping in the 90s and made it big so why couldn't Kendrick! I mean everyone always remembers the great music that came out of the 90s but forget to mention major garbage players in that era. I mean almost everyone on No Limit was garbage and they made it so give me one good reason why Kendrick who is a hell of a lot more talented then Master P couldn't? I mean his album would def get recognized in the 90s maybe not to the point were he would be brave enough to call himself king after one hit album but he would still be know as a decent rapper! See people act like everyone in the 90s was Nas, Biggie and Pac. I mean Jigga wasn't even big yet so what are people trying to say with these comments! Thats the same thing people said about Em and it's funny how he has passed the test of time and is considered by many one of the top 5 rappers ever!

I actually think Eminem sucks now considering what he was, people are just so starved for anything good they hype up any average rapper who looks good compared to the rest of the **** out there. New eminem looks amazing when compared to people like Drake, lil wayne, kendrick lamar, etc but he's still way worse than he was in the 90's. The 90's were more than just Pac, biggie, nas, eminem there was DMX, Wutang, Big L, Jay z (even though I don't like him personally), snoop dogg, Dr Dre (and NWA they got famous in late 80's but they were still big in the 90's), Rakim, big pun, even Mobb Deep were good back then, etc. There were rapper better than kendrick who couldn't even make names for themselves it was so stacked back then (look at big L he would murder tupac in a freestyle and most people haven't even heard of him) You throw Kendrick in with all that and he's an afterthought, just like Master P. There were even female rappers back in the 90's who give Kendrick a run for his money haha (Seriously i'd take Lady of Rage on a song like "stranded on deathrow" over anything i've heard from Lamar).

faze38
08-18-2013, 11:10 PM
I actually think Eminem sucks now considering what he was, people are just so starved for anything good they hype up any average rapper who looks good compared to the rest of the **** out there. New eminem looks amazing when compared to people like Drake, lil wayne, kendrick lamar, etc but he's still way worse than he was in the 90's. The 90's were more than just Pac, biggie, nas, eminem there was DMX, Wutang, Big L, Jay z (even though I don't like him personally), snoop dogg, Dr Dre (and NWA they got famous in late 80's but they were still big in the 90's), Rakim, big pun, even Mobb Deep were good back then, etc. There were rapper better than kendrick who couldn't even make names for themselves it was so stacked back then (look at big L he would murder tupac in a freestyle and most people haven't even heard of him) You throw Kendrick in with all that and he's an afterthought, just like Master P. There were even female rappers back in the 90's who give Kendrick a run for his money haha (Seriously i'd take Lady of Rage on a song like "stranded on deathrow" over anything i've heard from Lamar).

Now your crazy on the Em part but I know about these artist and still think Kendrick's album would be recognized I mean have you actually listened to his album it's great. Also by the way Em was big in 00. Jay was big 00. Rakim's reign ended by the 90s. Big L never got the chance to shine got killed before he even got to make his first LP. NWA was dead in 91. Mobb Deep had great songs but really couldn't put together a great album. I mean yes there were still alot of great artist like GangStarr, Common, Junior Mafia, Outkast, KRS-One etc, etc but as far as his album went it would stand out. His style is different and he told a complete story he did a great job with that album and it would stand out in any era. I mean is he the best rapper out of all of those guys we named no could he beat them in a freestyle battle probably not but can he make a album that is original and good enough to make noise hell yes! I think to many people forget that there is a big difference between being a great freestyle rapper and being able to make a great album.

TorontoHuskies
08-18-2013, 11:33 PM
Now your crazy on the Em part but I know about these artist and still think Kendrick's album would be recognized I mean have you actually listened to his album it's great. Also by the way Em was big in 00. Jay was big 00. Rakim's reign ended by the 90s. Big L never got the chance to shine got killed before he even got to make his first LP. NWA was dead in 91. Mobb Deep had great songs but really couldn't put together a great album. I mean yes there were still alot of great artist like GangStarr, Common, Junior Mafia, Outkast, KRS-One etc, etc but as far as his album went it would stand out. His style is different and he told a complete story he did a great job with that album and it would stand out in any era. I mean is he the best rapper out of all of those guys we named no could he beat them in a freestyle battle probably not but can he make a album that is original and good enough to make noise hell yes! I think to many people forget that there is a big difference between being a great freestyle rapper and being able to make a great album.

Actually, he big L did release his first it was Lifestylez Ov Da Poor & Dangerous which was an amazing album too. I don't know when I listen to Lamar his rapping is always worse than the production given to him (seems like wasted beats/hooks that should have been given to someone better)

Clippersfan86
08-19-2013, 12:10 AM
Of course Eminem has declined Toronto.. the guy is what 40 now and has been doing this 15+ years? That being said he can still kill Kendrick in any way shape or form.

TorontoHuskies
08-19-2013, 01:13 AM
Of course Eminem has declined Toronto.. the guy is what 40 now and has been doing this 15+ years? That being said he can still kill Kendrick in any way shape or form.

Yea I know, I was saying that in my first comment..Even though Eminem is clearly worse now than he was in the 90's there aren't many rappers at his level still. Honestly though I think it's more him quitting drugs than age that has made him go down hill.

bucketss
08-19-2013, 01:23 AM

yeah, they'd rather care about vanilla ice,sisqo,snow,marky mark,kriss kross,:rolleyes:

ChiTownPacerFan
08-19-2013, 01:58 AM
His delivery is weak. Lyrically he is half decent but not the next Jigga, Nas, Big L, Pac or anybody great and when your delivery is weak you gonna need to be phenomenal in that area. I mean this style is over done and finished it died in the 90's that's why Jigga stopped using it. I mean the man will never be a star so if you considered that your barometer for skill you should really give up listening to hip hop. I mean honestly you can take all of his best tracks and put them on an album and I can promise you they don't compare to the structure and story telling your getting out of Kendrick's good kid mad city. I mean many people love different styles of hip hop but nobody can deny real talent I mean everyone felt it when Biggie, Pac and Tribe dropped. I'm not feeling that here and if I want to listen to what some call pure hip hop I would much rather pop in a roots album or if i'm looking for something more current I'll go with Slum Villages B side!

Lyrically, he's "half decent". For real? His delivery is "weak"? You don't have to like it, but that's just absurd. Tonedeff can hang with anyone on deeper story telling tracks too!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z2bbhYRnOFA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rwcN82yx0GY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2KbFYBdmM6o

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NqnDvnsw8xM

Goose17
08-19-2013, 02:27 AM
Call me crazy but Kendrick's verse was wack as fu** for all the hype it got... It makes me laugh that people talk about Kendrick as a rap "savior" because he's not that good. I think he seems better than he is in comparison to all the ****** club rap right now, so people put him on a pedestal.

I agree with this statement 100%

Clippersfan86
08-19-2013, 05:43 PM
http://www.xxlmag.com/news/2013/08/kendrick-lamar-wants-to-work-with-drake/

What a scrub. Wants to work with Drake after calling him out lolz. Kendrick sounds like a punk who doesn't know where he came from. He got tons of exposure on songs with Drake and A$AP then he goes and calls them out? He needs to wake up before he ends up in a beef he can't get out of and gets exposed. From Compton and calls himself the "King of New York"? Disrespectful.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Onyv8TA2sHk

Liked this Cassidy response.

Probably already posted but also liked the Lupe Fiasco response. Best thing about Lupe's response is he isn't even trying to be serious. He's just clowning around.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k84OHJn-JEw

Clippersfan86
08-19-2013, 06:11 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=awi7U6mXS74

Joell Ortiz did decent too. Better than Kendrick at least. I would love Kendrick to zone in on Shady records and wake up Eminem but he isn't that stupid and it would never happen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZmlFzo1zl7w

Secret Shady freestyle from over a decade ago I think. Holy **** the rap game has fallen off.