PDA

View Full Version : Top 5 best, and who are the overrated coaches in the NBA?

4milesperday
08-13-2013, 10:58 PM
Top 5
1. Greg Popovich
2. Tom Thibodeau
3. Eric Spoelstra
4. Frank Vogel
5. Mark Jackson

Overrated

Doc Rivers: Reasoning - any coach would have won a championship with his star studded team plus he underachieved with them. In addition, he sucked prior to KG and Allen coming to town.

Mike D'Antoni: Reasoning - never achieved a thing but never have a hard time finding a coaching job.

cmellofan15
08-13-2013, 11:03 PM
no way you put Doc Rivers in the overrated category and have Erik Spoelstra at two....

Guppyfighter
08-13-2013, 11:05 PM
no way you put Doc Rivers in the overrated category and have Erik Spoelstra at two....

He does...

4milesperday
08-13-2013, 11:11 PM

Eric Spoelstra took a team with Michael Beasley (Rookie) as 2nd best player and a rookie pg ( Mario Chalmers) to the play-offs.

Bookey
08-13-2013, 11:15 PM
Top 5
1. Greg Popovich
2. Tom Thibodeau
3. Eric Spoelstra
4. Frank Vogel
5. Mark Jackson

Overrated

Doc Rivers: Reasoning - any coach would have won a championship with his star studded team plus he underachieved with them. In addition, he sucked prior to KG and Allen coming to town.

Mike D'Antoni: Reasoning - never achieved a thing but never have a hard time finding a coaching job.

I love the fact that you called Doc overrated but have Erik Spoelstra at 3

SportsFanatic10
08-13-2013, 11:17 PM
Eric Spoelstra took a team with Michael Beasley (Rookie) as 2nd best player and a rookie pg ( Mario Chalmers) to the play-offs.

no dwyane wade did that.

SportsFanatic10
08-13-2013, 11:18 PM

agreed, i can't believe that to be honest lol.

cmellofan15
08-13-2013, 11:20 PM

No...Dwyane Wade took that team to the playoffs. That's like saying Mike Brown took the Cavaliers to the playoffs.

Bookey
08-13-2013, 11:23 PM

That team had D.Wade who had his best year of his career that regular season. Look at the team that Doc won 41 games with, a bunch of trash on this roster. You can't be serious. He never had much with his Orlando teams and helped get them to the playoffs. http://www.basketball-reference.com/teams/ORL/2000.html#roster::none

stawka
08-13-2013, 11:45 PM
Agree with 1 and 2, and I'd put Vogel 3a/3b with Spo, and Doc ahead of Jackson

tp13baby
08-14-2013, 12:11 AM
1. Pop.
2. Thibs
3. Vogel
4. Doc
5. Jackson

Overrated
George Karl-explainable, even though he is out of a job, that is explanatory.
Scott Brooks
Spo

SportsFanatic10
08-14-2013, 12:13 AM
1. Pop.
2. Thibs
3. Vogel
4. Doc
5. Jackson

Overrated
George Karl-explainable, even though he is out of a job, that is explanatory.
Scott Brooks
Spo

good list, i'd probably put doc ahead of vogel but other than that mine's about the same.

alexander_37
08-14-2013, 12:14 AM
Top 5
1. Greg Popovich
2. Tom Thibodeau
3. Eric Spoelstra
4. Frank Vogel
5. Mark Jackson

Overrated

Lulz

rex.reyesiii
08-14-2013, 12:42 AM
no dwyane wade did that.

Ok, how about a "What if" scenario? What if Kobe was there instead of Wade? :D

SportsFanatic10
08-14-2013, 01:01 AM
Ok, how about a "What if" scenario? What if Kobe was there instead of Wade? :D

lol, at the risk of sidetracking the thread i'll answer. that was wade's career season, and any knowledgeable basketball fan knows that kobe never put up a season of that caliber. plus wade is less selfish and more team oriented so when he's playing like that kobe can't touch him, the heat would of done worse.

Jtirado16
08-14-2013, 01:07 AM
Spo of the Heat is my number 1.

I actually think Doc is a pretty good coach.

For Mike Dantoni don't people have to think you're good to be overrated?

Btw terrible list by the way.

1. Spo
2.Vogel
3. Hollins
4. George Carl
5.Mike Brown

barreleffact
08-14-2013, 01:08 AM
lol, at the risk of sidetracking the thread i'll answer. that was wade's career season, and any knowledgeable basketball fan knows that kobe never put up a season of that caliber. plus wade is less selfish and more team oriented so when he's playing like that kobe can't touch him, the heat would of done worse.

Kobe has missed the playoffs one season. They year they missed he was on pace to make it until late season injuries. AND Kobe made it out west. I havent seen the stats, but I'm sure that Heat team of reference would not have had enough wins to make it out west

SportsFanatic10
08-14-2013, 01:10 AM
Kobe has missed the playoffs one season. They year they missed he was on pace to make it until late season injuries. AND Kobe made it out west. I havent seen the stats, but I'm sure that Heat team of reference would not have had enough wins to make it out west

the question wasn't about the west, it was about kobe replacing wade on the heat in the east that year.

mrblisterdundee
08-14-2013, 01:10 AM
1. Gregg Popovich
2. Tom Thibodeau
3. Frank Vogel
4. Doc Rivers
5. Mark Jackson

barreleffact
08-14-2013, 01:31 AM
the question wasn't about the west, it was about kobe replacing wade on the heat in the east that year.

Don't you think if Kobe made it out West he would have out East with an easier conference?

SportsFanatic10
08-14-2013, 01:43 AM
Don't you think if Kobe made it out West he would have out East with an easier conference?

i never said he wouldn't of made it, just did worse. wade had them as a 5th seed with an amazing year and was 2nd in mvp voting to lebron. that heat team was terrible.

barreleffact
08-14-2013, 01:45 AM
i never said he wouldn't of made it, just did worse. wade had them as a 5th seed with an amazing year and was 2nd in mvp voting to lebron. that heat team was terrible.

My mistake. Iguess I misunderstood your stance.

WadeKobe
08-14-2013, 01:53 AM
1) Greg Popovich
2) Frank Vogel
3) Mark Jackson

From there, meh.

Overrated?

1) George Karl - he is terrible. Period. Yet people think he is good.
2) D'Antoni - less overrated by fans no, they know he sucks. Somehow the NBA brass hasn't figured it out.
3) Mike Brown - he is awful at minute allocation, LeBron made him.
4) Erik Spoelstra - he was out coached throughout the playoffs and was slow to make adjustments. He kept ineffective players playing for too long before switching things up and kept going away from their best big man, even though Andersen had been very effective in every matchup. Spo's terrible coaching and failure to make adjustments was a big reason they lost in '11 and he single handedly almost cost them a championship in 13.

sunsfan88
08-14-2013, 02:41 AM

1. Spo
2.Vogel
3. Hollins
4. George Carl
5.Mike Brown
Are you talking about your own list? If so, I agree 100%. Spo at #1 and Brown at #5? LOL

And two HCs who don't even have a job, in the top 5? LMAO

Bostonjorge
08-14-2013, 02:53 AM
I think pop did some bad coaching these finals. I like tibbs he seems to have a tough system that's very effective. Doc and pop have to be right there tho as the top 2 coaches. Coach heat forget his name is like mayweathers trainer uncle roger. Just a hype man. Didn't wade yell at coach heat a couple times during games?

lol, please
08-14-2013, 03:01 AM
Top 5
1. Greg Popovich
2. Tom Thibodeau
3. Eric Spoelstra
4. Frank Vogel
5. Mark Jackson

Overrated

Spoelstra? Pardon me while I go vomit into the nearest trashcan..

MyDRoseLikeDeng
08-14-2013, 03:02 AM
1. Pop
2. Thibs
3. Doc
4. Mark Jackson
5. Vogel

Overrated- Spo, George Karl(I know, he got fired), Mike D'Antoni, Mike Brown

ClearSoulForce
08-14-2013, 03:28 AM
How in the HELL has Rick Carlisle not been named?

He's better than any coach not named Poppovich.

flea
08-14-2013, 03:34 AM
1. Pop
2. Thibodeau
3. Adelman
4. Carlisle
5. Jackson

Overrated: Mike Brown, Doc Rivers, Lionel Hollins

naps
08-14-2013, 03:35 AM
Frank Vogel and Mark Jackson are very good coaches but they are being terribly overrated here. And what's up with this Doc Rivers hate here? He's arguably the best coach in the league.

1. Pop
2. Doc
3. Thib
4. Spo
5. Adelman

krrys11
08-14-2013, 03:46 AM

Please you said that just to troll a little...

If you look at points, assists and rebounds then Wade 2005-2006 season

27.2 pts
6.7 assists
5.7 reb.
with an win share of 14.4

Wade best season IMO was 2008-2009
30.2 pts
7.5 assists
5.0 reb.
with an win share of 14.7

Kobe 2005-2006:
35.4 pts
4.5 asists
5.3 reb
win share of: 15.3

Please never say that Wade had a better "best season" or is overall better player with a better carrer. I could agree that he had a better year at some point....but overall...please...

And now back to the topic:

1. Phil Jackson (no team but same goes to few coaches mention before)
2. Popovich
3. Thib
(big gap)
4. Rivers
5. Mark Jackson.

Overrated:
Mike Brown, Mike D'Antoni, Erik Spo.

leprechaun5
08-14-2013, 12:41 PM
I think mark jackson is being heavily overrated here ,let's see what he does without mike malone .

Top 5.
1.Pop
2.Thibs
3.Carlisle
4.Doc
5.Vogel

JLynn943
08-14-2013, 12:54 PM
1. Pop
2. Thibs
3. Carlisle
4. Adelman
5. Vogel

Overrated:
Even though he's probably still a top 10 coach, I think Doc is highly overrated. People forget that he likely would have been out of a job had the Celtics not gotten the big 3. Instead, getting those players pretty much guaranteed a championship for him and he's been riding great rosters ever since.

SteBO
08-14-2013, 01:15 PM
What I find hilarious about these discussions is that people want to discredit Spo and Doc for having great rosters, while praising Phil Jackson as the greatest coach ever while riding MJ, Pippen, Kobe, and prime Shaq to championships. What exacty is the criteria for being a top tier coach? Anyways.....

Popovich & Thibs are 1a & 1b to me. Every coach need greatness on his side to win, but Parker and Ginobli we nothing special when they first broke in, and more importantly his ability to put marginal role player in positions to succeed is what does it for me. Thibs meanwhile just flat out gets the most out of his players.....they actually took a game off Miami in the playoffs last year on little rest and with 6 healthy bodies too with no Rose available.

3) Doc Rivers
4) Carlisle
5) Spo

Vogel is certainly in the conversation as well.

Overrated: Mike Brown.

ManRam
08-14-2013, 02:30 PM
1. Pops
1. Thibs
3. Carlisle
4. Vogel
5. Rivers/Spo

I want to knock Rivers lower, but he did do a great job with Orlando his first year there, coaching a very talent devoid team to a .500 record. He did OK all things considered during his time there. The year he got fired the Magic were the worst team in the NBA. He had T-Mac, but the cast after that was absolutely putrid. No one at that time was a starting caliber NBA player. In Boston obviously the team improved when the talent came, but by all accounts he's a tremendous players' coach, and that can be a huge difference maker. I can't knock him too much.

I respect the **** out of Spo too. His ability to motivate a team that had NOTHING to prove or gain in the regular season to play as well as they did all year is impressive. He's coached a lot of very close and tight playoff games eeking out a ton of big wins. Coaching is much more than X's and O's, and while he's solid at that by all accounts (how do we really know?) he's great and managing the players and team. It's easy to win with talented teams, but it has to be hard to keep teams like the Heat focused for 82 games a season and push all the right buttons come playoff time. There are a ton of hard decisions he has to make night in and night out, because after the Big 3 there are a lot of different pieces that do a lot of different things and are useful in a lot of different situations. He has to toy with the secondary players a ton. His rotation isn't as set as the other top teams...so managing the right way deserves props.

Thibs and Pops are in a class of their own. After that I wouldn't argue too hard either way. It's nearly impossible to accurately gauge coaches.

Overrated coach: George Karl.

IgglesFanInCO
08-14-2013, 03:07 PM
Thank god some people are realizing how overrated George Karl was

He was the worst coach in the league last year, he did nothing even remotely close to helpful and was only a cancer on that nuggets team

theres a reason he wanted desperately to continue his coaching career but couldnt find a job

diu9leilomo
08-14-2013, 03:40 PM
is this suppose to be all time list? how come no one mention about jerry sloan and phil jackson

SportsFanatic10
08-14-2013, 03:52 PM

27.2 pts
6.7 assists
5.7 reb.

30.2 pts
7.5 assists
5.0 reb.

Kobe 2005-2006:
35.4 pts
4.5 asists
5.3 reb

Please never say that Wade had a better "best season" or is overall better player with a better carrer. I could agree that he had a better year at some point....but overall...please...

08-09 is wade's best season and that's the season we're talking about here when i was asked my opinion on how the heat would of done with kobe instead. it's clearly better than any season kobe has ever had, don't just cherry pick PPG and other basic stats, check out all of them like PER and FG% ect. kobe has never had a season that great. you are putting words in my mouth about the better career though, show me where i said that. to be clear i'm saying wade's best season is better than kobe's best season. i never said he had the better career, he hasn't played long enough or been healthy enough to do that.

anyways this has sidetracked the thread enough so i'm gonna leave it alone now, just wanted to clear up that post since people keep responding thinking i said something i didn't.

DR_1
08-14-2013, 04:21 PM
1. Thibs
2. Pop
3. Doc
4. Vogel
5. Jackson

Overrated: Spolstera. He gets way too much credit for what is really LeBron (it's really the people like ESPN who over credit him though, I don't think he is on this board).

ManRam
08-14-2013, 04:24 PM
is this suppose to be all time list? how come no one mention about jerry sloan and phil jackson

Clearly it's not, considering Mark Jackson was #5 on the OP's list....

ztilzer31
08-14-2013, 04:39 PM
How is Spo overrated when most people don't rate him very well at all... I feel like everyone is just reacting to the OP.

Minimal
08-14-2013, 04:46 PM
Current coaches of last season
1. Pop
2. Thibodeau
3. Collins
4. Doc/Spo
5. Vogel

OR:
Mike Brown
D'Antoni (I think we all know he is garbage)
George Karl

Vinny642
08-14-2013, 07:16 PM
Monty Williams had gotten a second place vote for CoY two seasons ago, when that season led to getting the first pick... #JustSaying

Backstabber
08-14-2013, 09:09 PM

27.2 pts
6.7 assists
5.7 reb.

30.2 pts
7.5 assists
5.0 reb.

Kobe 2005-2006:
35.4 pts
4.5 asists
5.3 reb

And now back to the topic:

1. Phil Jackson (no team but same goes to few coaches mention before)
2. Popovich
3. Thib
(big gap)
4. Rivers
5. Mark Jackson.

Overrated:
Mike Brown, Mike D'Antoni, Erik Spo.

This. Definitely agree. Especially with the D'Antoni being over rated. You would have to rank him number 1. I told you Laker fans what you were getting.

D-Leethal
08-14-2013, 09:16 PM
Every coach is capable of being great with the right team. Every coach is also capable of being horrible with the wrong team. I appreciate what a good coach/motivator/tactician can do, but I think it gets overrated on here. Phil Jackson the GOAT has openly stated his philosophy is too 'stay out of the way' and let the best players in the world run the show.

There are guys who can squeeze the most out of a young crappy team like Doug Collins, there are guys who are likely only capable of coaching great talent and would fail with a young team that can't police themselves. Who's better? Depends what kind of team you have. Coaches aren't one size fits all. All about the right fit.

krrys11
08-15-2013, 03:35 AM
08-09 is wade's best season and that's the season we're talking about here when i was asked my opinion on how the heat would of done with kobe instead. it's clearly better than any season kobe has ever had, don't just cherry pick PPG and other basic stats, check out all of them like PER and FG% ect. kobe has never had a season that great. you are putting words in my mouth about the better career though, show me where i said that. to be clear i'm saying wade's best season is better than kobe's best season. i never said he had the better career, he hasn't played long enough or been healthy enough to do that.

anyways this has sidetracked the thread enough so i'm gonna leave it alone now, just wanted to clear up that post since people keep responding thinking i said something i didn't.

I never posted that you think Wade had a better career than Kobe. I only said that you think his better season is better than Kobe's best.

IMO this is not true....but that is my opinion. No point of going on about it as it is not related to the topic.

So lets agree to disagree.

rex.reyesiii
08-15-2013, 04:38 AM
Funny how Vogel is on everyone's list vs. Spo being ranked as overrated when he sucked vs. Spo and the loss in the post season was on him more than Lebron's greatness.

1. Thibs
2. Pop
3. Carlisle
4. Spo
5. Doc/Vogel <-- still here though but I'm convinced Spo beat him 2 times already.

overrated

mike brown
mike d'antoni
karl

^ these 3 are on most of our list already.

jericho
08-15-2013, 07:58 AM
Top 5
1. Greg Popovich
2. Tom Thibodeau
3. Eric Spoelstra
4. Frank Vogel
5. Mark Jackson

Overrated

I agree with that part thats what i have been saying since forever.

Eric Spoelstra being top 5 made your list a joke tho.

NYKnickFanatic
08-15-2013, 09:35 AM

1. Spo
2.Vogel
3. Hollins
4. George Carl
5.Mike Brown

He says the OP has a terrible list, then puts Spo #1.

:laugh:

And just so you know, BTW means by the way. Don't know why you put it twice in one sentence.

faze38
08-15-2013, 09:52 AM
1. Pop of course
2. Vogal does the most with the least
3. Thibs defensive genius
4.A Mark Jackson changed the warriors over night
4.B Doc great all around coach
4.C Hollins nobody gives him credit but the man did a hell of a job with the Grizzles!

After 123 it gets a little crowded!

Most Overrated

1-5. Spo I could win a ring with Lebron, Wade and Bosh

Pierzynski4Prez
08-15-2013, 09:54 AM
Tier 1
Pop

Tier 2
Thibs
Doc

Tier 3
Vogel
Carlisle
M. Jackson
Karl

Heatcheck
08-15-2013, 05:05 PM

27.2 pts
6.7 assists
5.7 reb.

30.2 pts
7.5 assists
5.0 reb.

Kobe 2005-2006:
35.4 pts
4.5 asists
5.3 reb

win shares is the dumbest most arbitrary stat ive ever come across in my life, i dont care who uses it.
dont tell me about some formula someone believes is accurate, tell me what they did, and Wade had a better year.
If you look at it, Kobe scores on more point per game and rebounds the same. other than that, Wade produces more blocks, steals, and assists. and wihle Kobes fg% is below average for his career, wade is shooting almost 50%, which is a espected from a big man.

SportsFanatic10
08-15-2013, 05:12 PM
I never posted that you think Wade had a better career than Kobe. I only said that you think his better season is better than Kobe's best.

IMO this is not true....but that is my opinion. No point of going on about it as it is not related to the topic.

So lets agree to disagree.

alright cool

win shares is the dumbest most arbitrary stat ive ever come across in my life, i dont care who uses it.
dont tell me about some formula someone believes is accurate, tell me what they did, and Wade had a better year.
If you look at it, Kobe scores on more point per game and rebounds the same. other than that, Wade produces more blocks, steals, and assists. and wihle Kobes fg% is below average for his career, wade is shooting almost 50%, which is a espected from a big man.

yep, when you look at the scoring more in depth...kobe and wade took just about the same number of fts and kobe hit them at a higher percentage so he got some extra points off that which is good for him. but he took 5 more field goal attempts a game at 27, that's a ridiculous amount of shots to take. wade got 3 more assists so that makes up for the scoring difference since every assist is worth at least 2 pts, wade produced slightly more offense while shooting a higher percentage and while keeping his teammates involved. i just like wades all around season, it was so well rounded.

SlimKid
08-15-2013, 05:46 PM
1. Pop
2. Thibs
3. Carlisle
4. Adelman
5. Vogel

Overrated:
Even though he's probably still a top 10 coach, I think Doc is highly overrated. People forget that he likely would have been out of a job had the Celtics not gotten the big 3. Instead, getting those players pretty much guaranteed a championship for him and he's been riding great rosters ever since.

Agree with all of this!

All-In
08-15-2013, 10:35 PM
It’s funny the amount of Spo hate in this thread its funny…he clearly is a top 5 coach…putting guys like Mark Jackson, Ryan Hollins and Rick Adelman above Spo is stupid....did Lebron bench a guy who’d started 59GMs reg season for a guy who started 17 in the finals or Spo….does Lebron tell his guys to blitz the P&R or does the coaching staff…..does Lebron make lineup changes or the coaching staff…did Lebron draw up the game-winning layup GM1 VS the pacers or did Spo put Lebron in that postion...Spo puts his players in the best possible position to succeed…playoffs are all about adjustments…so when adjustments need to be made is it Lebron making the adjustments or the coaching staff…and please don’t try to make an argument of how he isn’t good at adjustments or he’s being out coached when he wins the series…he’s lost 1 playoff series in 3 years….say what you will but that’s top 5….coaches that have won back to back are Phil, Rudy Tom, Pat Riley, Chuck D, Red…winning back to back takes more than just having talented players…I’m not saying he’s the best…or even second best!, or third! but top 5 yes….how did they go from losing in the finals to winning back to back finals….its a collection of player development….free agent signings…and adjustments

Clippersfan86
08-15-2013, 10:50 PM
Anti Doc stuff is hilarious. His bad years weren't underachieving years. They were years where he didn't have the talent to win. How did Phil Jackson do in the two years following Shaq's departure with prime Kobe where he missed the playoffs one year and barely made it the next? Does this mean Phil is overrated? Bottom line is ALL coaches need talent to win at the highest levels in sports. A great coach doesn't take bad talent and make it great... what he does is take talent and make it special and mesh.

It's not a coaches job to lead bad teams anywhere significant. It's a coaches job to take a team over the top at least in the way of impact. Or with mediocre talent to help develop. Coaches don't carry bad teams, never have. Doc's rookie coaching campaign he won coach of the year with a mediocre roster in Orlando. Any time he's had talent, he's thrived tremendously. His peers and players under him have CONSTANTLY talked about how incredible he is as a coach. It's undeniable he's a top 5 coach, likely top 3 and sure as hell not overrated because he couldn't win with no talent SMH.

Besides the guy was a VERY young head coach... he deserved a few years to get it together and learn how to coach at a high level. The logic of people when it comes to judging "overrated" is astoundingly bad around here.

All-In
08-15-2013, 11:11 PM
Anti Doc stuff is hilarious. His bad years weren't underachieving years. They were years where he didn't have the talent to win. How did Phil Jackson do in the two years following Shaq's departure with prime Kobe where he missed the playoffs one year and barely made it the next? Does this mean Phil is overrated? Bottom line is ALL coaches need talent to win at the highest levels in sports. A great coach doesn't take bad talent and make it great... what he does is take talent and make it special and mesh.

It's not a coaches job to lead bad teams anywhere significant. It's a coaches job to take a team over the top at least in the way of impact. Or with mediocre talent to help develop. Coaches don't carry bad teams, never have. Doc's rookie coaching campaign he won coach of the year with a mediocre roster in Orlando. Any time he's had talent, he's thrived tremendously. His peers and players under him have CONSTANTLY talked about how incredible he is as a coach. It's undeniable he's a top 5 coach, likely top 3 and sure as hell not overrated because he couldn't win with no talent SMH.

Besides the guy was a VERY young head coach... he deserved a few years to get it together and learn how to coach at a high level. The logic of people when it comes to judging "overrated" is astoundingly bad around here.

I agree with you….After George Karl won coach of the year ESPN decided to vote for the “real” best coach in the league and had a vote of their own for best coach: 5. Spo 4. Carlisle 3. Doc 2. Thibbs and 1. Pop and this past month Jabari Davis NBA writer for HOOPSWORLD put 5. Carlisle 4. Spo 3. Doc 2. Thibbs and 1 Pop….I think its funny the amount of Spo and Doc hate
http://espn.go.com/blog/truehoop/post/_/id/58016/the-best-coach-in-the-nba

Clippersfan86
08-16-2013, 01:25 AM
I agree with you….After George Karl won coach of the year ESPN decided to vote for the “real” best coach in the league and had a vote of their own for best coach: 5. Spo 4. Carlisle 3. Doc 2. Thibbs and 1. Pop and this past month Jabari Davis NBA writer for HOOPSWORLD put 5. Carlisle 4. Spo 3. Doc 2. Thibbs and 1 Pop….I think its funny the amount of Spo and Doc hate

Agreed. I personally think Spo is a great coach and it's not because he's won 2 straight rings. Sure the talent was overwhelming and the main reason but it takes a special coach to understand the strengths of a team and go to them. Vinny Del Negro for example would have likely held the Heat back from winning the last two championships. It also takes a special coach to manage that level of egos Spo does and he's done an incredible job.

When you consider he was a video coordinator with no playing experience it's VERY hard to earn the respect of players at the pro level. So the fact that he has such a feel for the pulse of the locker room and an ability to communicate with his stars, means he's a great coach PERIOD.

I have the top 5 right now as..

1. Pop
2. Thibs
3. Doc
4. Spo
5. Carlisle/Vogel

Pop and Thibs are a tier above the rest. Not by a huge volume but by a noticeable gap. We've all seen them on multiple occasions start a bunch of 3rd stringers and STILL consistently win at a high level or pull off upset wins. Their coaching is just brilliant.

rex.reyesiii
08-16-2013, 01:40 AM

LOL almost same as mine. :)