PDA

View Full Version : Why do players get so much better once they leave the Knicks?

jimm120
08-13-2013, 08:04 PM
It's so weird how every ex-Knick becomes so much better and more appreciated the second he leaves NY.

Zack Randolph,David Lee,Nate Robinson,Joe Crawford, Danilo Gallinari, Wilson Chandler ...and even now with Copeland, Kidd, and Novak.

All of these players leave NY and become so much better, according to what people say here.

So, why is that?

Trueblue2
08-13-2013, 08:13 PM
Same reason players get worse when they join the lakers. Too much pressure from being in the spotlight 24/7

Jamiecballer
08-13-2013, 08:26 PM
because they have had a tendency over the years to acquire bad fits or mis-fits early in their careers.

and yes, i understand you are being sarcastic.

in the case of the guys that left this year it's because you took guys who performed well within your system and replaced them with guys that were not a fit for that system. simple as that.

Cal827
08-13-2013, 09:02 PM
It's so weird how every ex-Knick becomes so much better and more appreciated the second he leaves NY.

Zack Randolph,David Lee,Nate Robinson,Joe Crawford, Danilo Gallinari, Wilson Chandler ...and even now with Copeland, Kidd, and Novak.

All of these players leave NY and become so much better, according to what people say here.

So, why is that?

On the bolded, I just say :facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

For Z-Bo and Lee, the teams around them got better. When they were playing, the team was pretty strapped of talent or exposed their weaknesses more.

Nate and Crawford are in the era of the Guard. Both are scoring guards. Crawford has been effective wherever he's played. Nate is the same player, just in a role that requires less than when he was a Knick.

Maybe the city is an issue (as Trueblue mentioned). New York is a place where you will always be in the spotlight for basketball (and pretty much any sport). If you play well, you are worshipped, if you struggle a bit, you could be run over. That's what happens with a lot of athletes in big cities (Like Toronto and Hockey).

Consider that alot of the people here are trolls, and don't let it get to you lol

ohreally
08-13-2013, 09:04 PM

So, why is that?

Zach, DLee, Nate, and Jamal were ridiculed by Knicks fans more than by anyone else. Danilo and Wil were largely, but not thoroughly, exceptions. But you do know all those guys were on the same team, and Knick fans, nearly unanimously, said the team was garbage and those guys gad to go. So you should be looking at home rather than trying to run some persecution complexes.

I'm still of the opinion that starting from there the Knicks should have been a better team by now if they hadn't blown up the boat.

Kidd was always good. If anything, Knick fans were like, Kidd and Camby gonna rock. And most everyone else said they were on the downslide. Most of the year I think Knick fans talked about everything Kidd brought. Only after another playoff failure did Knick fans really ratchet up the anti-Kidd as player talk.

Novak was talked about like he was the best shooter in the NBA. Then he was carrying the burden of another lost series because of his shortcomings. Fact is though, that he was a much better three point shooter than Bargnani has been. In seven years Bargnani has shot above last years league average for threes 3 times. What was Novak's average again? Ok, he only shot when wide open, but you just migh be wishing "others" would do the same.

Cope, I really don't get why Knick fans were so high on him, and I really don't understand why some others are so high on him now. He was effective, but I'm not ye convinced. In any case, I think the question is, why are guys great when they become Knicks and through most of their Knick careers, only to become unmitigated wastes once they are traded or leave?

Jamiecballer
08-13-2013, 09:17 PM
really people? nobody's sarcasm meter is going off? really?

Knick_Fever
08-13-2013, 09:19 PM
This thread couldnt be any more inaccurate. David Lee and Randolph were good when they were in NY, Randolph was there for a short time, with Lee getting better with time (not because he left NY). Gallo and Wilson were improving every year and kept it up in Denver, but not drastically like the OP is assuming. Yes there has been improvement for the players mentioned, but to start a thread based on marginal differences isnt necessary.

ElishaJ1030
08-13-2013, 09:22 PM
David Lee's last season with Knicks was his best season to date. In fact, he'll never be a 20pt 11.7reb again. You also are comparing players who played under horrible coaching and played out of position mostly during their time in NY.

bloomis1307
08-13-2013, 09:38 PM
I said it back when it happened they should have kept David lee and not pursued Stat......whether that means Melo eventually wants to come is another thing but I liked Lee better than Stat back then. As far as Randolf is concerned I watch a lot of Memphis games and Gasol helps compensate for ZBo's defensive problems. If he had (or even lee for that matter) played along Tyson they would be regarded as better players and may even still be in New York.....just my thoughts anyways

ManRam
08-13-2013, 09:43 PM
A lot of those guys you listed were still relatively young/not in their prime when they left. They're just naturally gonna get better regardless.

It could be pressure, but if it's not that then it's coincidence. Too much has changed over time for it to be any other reason (like coaching or whatever).

Not sure I buy what you're suggesting at all.

uprightciti
08-13-2013, 10:02 PM
Sigh...I think this thread is pretty stupid.
If anything the players did not get better they were simply not under such a powerful microscope that is the New York media. Berman, Isola, Stephen A. All **** on knicks players when they are good or bad.

If Demarcus Cousins was a Knick from a rookie to now he would be thought of as an unproductive losing slug BUT since he is with the Kings a 3 tier team he is one of the best centers in the game.

Same would be said about players like Rondo, D Will, Dwight, etc. you see my point.

Ex Knicks don't get better the media just portrays them as better players outside of the Knicks organization.

Nycbball08
08-13-2013, 10:16 PM
Pressure is usually on star players, not on those guys being mentioned.
If you guys are that bored why don't y'all go play some Xbox or something.

Bishnoff
08-13-2013, 10:47 PM
Lol, am I the only person to pick up on the Joe Crawford typo? I assume that the OP meant Jamal Crawford, and not Joe Crawford the ref or ex Knick player Joe Crawford (brother of Jordan Crawford) whose career went downhill after being waived by the Knicks in 2009.

ohreally
08-13-2013, 10:57 PM
Lol, am I the only person to pick up on the Joe Crawford typo? I assume that the OP meant Jamal Crawford, and not Joe Crawford the ref or ex Knick player Joe Crawford (brother of Jordan Crawford) whose career went downhill after being waived by the Knicks in 2009.

Well, I picked up on that, which is why I was sure to use Jamal in my comment. I assume most others picked up on it too.

OP did not really mean they got better, he was more saying people rank guys as better when they aren't on the Knicks and worse because they are on the Knicks, which I don't think is true at all, but Knicks fans do like to find prejudicial evaluations against the team.

Bruins2012
08-13-2013, 10:58 PM
Maybe its because the Knicks have not, and still don't, have a GM that can construct a team properly, and because they have one of the most meddling owners in professional sports.

SMH!
08-13-2013, 11:04 PM

So, why is that?

How do you know Cope and Novak get better?

LeGacy is Music
08-13-2013, 11:23 PM
Doug Christie was a beast when he left, Antonio Mcdyse, camby, the knicks get the players when they are at the end of their careers. McGrady, Francis, Penny, Mutombo, Marbury, Rasheed, Kidd, I don't want to say it but (amare might be too). The only real superstar that came at the right time was Melo.