PDA

View Full Version : Alonzo Mourning or Yao Ming

barreleffact
08-12-2013, 11:24 PM
You are an NBA GM during a rebuild. You are fully aware of the injuries/illness to come to both players. Who do you choose?

tbron
08-13-2013, 01:16 AM
Zo he was a better defender, shot blocker and rebounder. I'll give yao a slight offensive edge but you also have to factor in team success. Zo took the heat to the second round multiple times. He even played in the conference finals during his first run with the heat. Not to mention he was still able to contribute on a championship team in his later years.

barreleffact
08-14-2013, 01:10 AM
Agreed, but what about the asian market draw?

JordansBulls
08-14-2013, 07:53 AM
You are an NBA GM during a rebuild. You are fully aware of the injuries/illness to come to both players. Who do you choose?

Zo, he was a much better player.

todu82
08-14-2013, 12:47 PM
Mourning.

slashsnake
08-17-2013, 08:37 PM
Good point on the dollars part of that. Sure, if you are in a smaller market, the ability to get that draw (I remember a report a few years ago that said that over half of NBA.com visits were by fans from China) might allow you to have the cash to spend into the luxury tax and get better teammates. So where it might be Zo combined with Monta Ellis, or Yao combined with Lebron... well, there's a potential advantage there for Yao.

But purely on the court I would have to go with Zo. He was a much better defender and IMO did that in a time of much better centers. He had to guard Robinson, Ewing, Shaq (in his prime), Olajuwon, Daugherty, Smits, Seikaly... Guys who could score from the low post.

barreleffact
08-21-2013, 07:47 PM
Good point on the dollars part of that. Sure, if you are in a smaller market, the ability to get that draw (I remember a report a few years ago that said that over half of NBA.com visits were by fans from China) might allow you to have the cash to spend into the luxury tax and get better teammates. So where it might be Zo combined with Monta Ellis, or Yao combined with Lebron... well, there's a potential advantage there for Yao.

But purely on the court I would have to go with Zo. He was a much better defender and IMO did that in a time of much better centers. He had to guard Robinson, Ewing, Shaq (in his prime), Olajuwon, Daugherty, Smits, Seikaly... Guys who could score from the low post.

Agreed on everything. I think his story was tragic because he could have had an epic career. His rookie numbers would have been ROY worthy almost any other year and were typical of a HOFer

KnicksorBust
08-22-2013, 07:37 PM
Zo. I'd argue more but no one is even bothering to argue Yao.

rjkgr
08-29-2013, 06:01 PM
i would have to go with yao! i mean mourning is good but how can you say no to a 7'6 player who can shoot free throws and blocked by kobe and nate

b@llhog24
08-30-2013, 12:29 PM
Yao

bagwell368
08-31-2013, 09:49 PM
Zo.

Zo had 9 years playing 60 or more games, Yao 4.