PDA

View Full Version : Kalish Has Another Season-Ending Surgery

RedSoxtober
08-12-2013, 11:12 PM
Red Sox outfielder Ryan Kalish will undergo cervical fusion surgery in Los Angeles on Tuesday. The neck procedure will be done by Dr. Robert Watkins at Marina Bay Hospital.

The Red Sox announced the news via Twitter at 9:39 p.m.

Kalish has spent the entire season on the disabled list recovering from January surgery on his right shoulder. He had surgery on his left shoulder and neck in 2011.

The injuries all date back to a diving catch Kalish made for Triple A Pawtucket early in the 2011 season and subsequent setbacks.

This latest surgery is not considered career-threatening and Kalish hopes to be ready for the start of spring training in 2014. But four major surgeries over a span of 23 months add further doubt to whether Kalish will fulfill what was once considered vast potential.

The 25-year-old Kalish made his debut with the Red Sox in 2010. He has hit .243 with four home runs and 13 stolen bases over 89 games.

Kalish's surgery log:
Sept. 14, 2011: Disc surgery in neck
Nov. 18, 2011: Left shoulder labrum
Jan. 30, 2013: Right shoulder labrum
Aug. 13, 2013: Cervical fusionBoston.com

Note that the above list does not include the wrist injury that slowed the beginning of his career. While the surgery may not NORMALLY be career threatening, it certainly may have that result in this case. Once one of my favorite kids in the system I now forget he's around.

bruins>habs
08-12-2013, 11:38 PM
Damn tough break for this guy. He is made of glass. Maybe time to retire, he just can't get healthy.

Station 13
08-12-2013, 11:59 PM
Damn tough break for this guy. He is made of glass. Maybe time to retire, he just can't get healthy.

Yeah I don't see much of a future here. Good luck to him.

TragicallyHip
08-13-2013, 09:03 AM
I'd like to say that I'm surprised, but I'm not.

bagwell368
08-13-2013, 09:35 AM
The Sox could keep him, but, he would probably block younger guys that need the reps. Either he retires or they cut him (after the rehab is done that is).

mooz
08-13-2013, 10:02 AM
Poor guy. I really like Kalish and the way he plays. It's unfortunate injuries have kept him from reaching his potential. Whether he's in our system or makes another team, I'll always root for him.

Melo15
08-13-2013, 10:59 AM
Poor guy. I really like Kalish and the way he plays. It's unfortunate injuries have kept him from reaching his potential. Whether he's in our system or makes another team, I'll always root for him.

Same here, I've always been a big fan of Kalish. Sucks how injuries have ruined his once bright future.

RaginRondo17
08-13-2013, 11:45 AM
Since he has been kept on the roster this long, wouldn't it make sense to see if he can be ready to go in Spring Training? I'd like to give him another chance, might be able to give us more than Gomes in LF next year.

-Lavigne43-
08-13-2013, 12:02 PM
I feel bad for him, I would be shocked to see him at the major league level again. All of those surgeries are related to one injury he got diving for a ball in the minors.

todu82
08-13-2013, 01:01 PM
Shame to see so many injuries for this guy. Hopefully he either retires soon or his injury problems end soon.