PDA

View Full Version : Shaq discredits Kareem, calls himself and George Mikan best centers for the Lakers

lakerboy
08-12-2013, 03:04 PM
This is an xpost from the Laker Forum.

The Los Angeles Lakers have had some of the best centers to ever play the game of basketball.

Shaquille O誰eal is just one of many great Laker big men, but it looks like O誰eal is not to fond of other great Laker centers.

O誰eal went on twitter and posted a picture on who he believed were the two best Laker centers ever.

O誰eal purposely blocks off Kareem Abdul-Jabbar痴 face with his enormous hand and only O誰eal and George Mikan are visible in the picture.

According to Arash Markazi from ESPN LA, O誰eal did not have much of a relationship with Kareem Abdul-Jabbar or Wilt Chamberlain.

SOURCE:
http://www.lakersnation.com/lakers-news-shaq-says-he-and-mikan-are-lakers-greatest-centers/2013/08/10/

Heatcheck
08-12-2013, 03:16 PM
I dont think shaq understands the concept of professionalism. and i have to say, while i always thought kobe was dead wrong for snitching on the man, Shaq handled the whole thing like a woman himself, he takes it upon himself to make statements and responses that dont sound as witty as they do petty and hoeish.

After a while, people are going to stop caring about your opinion because they know whatever you say is based firstly on "what would make shaq look better than everyone". at least chuck calls it how he actually sees it.

ManRam
08-12-2013, 03:18 PM
Why do we continue to give a flying **** about what comes out of Shaq's mouth?

abe_froman
08-12-2013, 03:23 PM
the man has the ego the size of russia,we already know that

Minimal
08-12-2013, 03:28 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_By2-Z3tOms
Shaq considers KAJ his 3rd favourite center. I think he is just trollin.

Chronz
08-12-2013, 04:02 PM
Hes just ****ing around, tho I dont doubt he doesn't like them personally and Im sure on some level he does feel superior.

JNA17
08-12-2013, 05:31 PM
Why he gotta hate on Wilt though? Is he just mad that there was another guy who was arguably more dominate than him?

Shlumpledink
08-12-2013, 05:38 PM
This isn't a serious statement. It's a freaking joke. There is no way that Shaq discredits Kareem in any way. Shaq may be an emotional dude and he jokes a lot, but he is not dumb when it comes to basketball history. He has a tremendous amount of respect for past stars, and he was just being silly. Look at that big goofy grin, of course he is messing around.

TheMightyHumph
08-12-2013, 05:41 PM
Why do we continue to give a flying **** about what comes out of Shaq's mouth?

Truly. Shaq is a moron of the highest magnitude.

tredigs
08-12-2013, 05:47 PM
"When I was in LA, Kareem and Wilt never said a word to me. Not once". - Shaq

/Thread.

Regardless, agreed, who cares.

Minimal
08-12-2013, 07:06 PM
So many people taking this serious, shows how much dumb people we have here.

LeperMessiah
08-12-2013, 09:39 PM
Hes just ****ing around, tho I dont doubt he doesn't like them personally and Im sure on some level he does feel superior.
At his tier, it's not entirely unreasonable.

hidalgo
08-13-2013, 01:23 AM
I've heard Shaq mention Kareem & Chamberlain tons of times, always giving them props, saying he wanted to be up there with the great centers like them. he jokes all the time, so I wouldn't take this serious. you know he respects the hell out of what Wilt & Kareem did, everybody does. he is on their level though, no question

lol, please
08-13-2013, 01:26 AM
I never get tired of slobbing on SHAQs knob, never. As a matter of fact I hug his sack so hard, I intentionally skipped the OP, just in case I might have to be objective, and disagree with something he says, ignorance will indeed be bliss, in this case.

ztilzer31
08-13-2013, 01:30 AM
A lot of people disagree, but I do think Shaq was better than Kareem. I have a weird top Centers list though that starts with Hakeem though.

carlthack
08-13-2013, 01:50 AM
A lot of people disagree, but I do think Shaq was better than Kareem. I have a weird top Centers list though that starts with Hakeem though.

There is nothing weird about putting Olajuwon at the top of your list. He is a close second on mine. But if you seriously think Shaq was better KAJ then you are smoking something potent.

hidalgo
08-13-2013, 03:21 AM
There is nothing weird about putting Olajuwon at the top of your list. He is a close second on mine. But if you seriously think Shaq was better KAJ then you are smoking something potent.I dunno about that. I think any order people wanna put Wilt, Kareem, O'Neal & Olajuwon is pretty fair. I think they're all close to being equals. i guess you gotta throw Russell in there too

carlthack
08-13-2013, 03:23 PM
I dunno about that. I think any order people wanna put Wilt, Kareem, O'Neal & Olajuwon is pretty fair. I think they're all close to being equals. i guess you gotta throw Russell in there too

Oneal would be at the bottom of those guys with KAJ at the top. The only thing Shaq was better than Kareem at was strength. But Kareem was a better outside shooter, better FT shooter, didnt have to remove him from the game in the last couple minutes because of poor FT shooting, always stayed healthy, (in his prime) better rebounder, better shot blocker, better defensively, more fundementally sound, better professionalism and leadership (never allowed ego to get in the way), etc.
Kareem had 3 years in a row with 30+ ppg/16+rpg. Shaq never had a 30ppg season or even a 14rpg season.

Minimal
08-13-2013, 04:19 PM
Oneal would be at the bottom of those guys with KAJ at the top. The only thing Shaq was better than Kareem at was strength. But Kareem was a better outside shooter, better FT shooter, didnt have to remove him from the game in the last couple minutes because of poor FT shooting, always stayed healthy, (in his prime) better rebounder, better shot blocker, better defensively, more fundementally sound, better professionalism and leadership (never allowed ego to get in the way), etc.
Kareem had 3 years in a row with 30+ ppg/16+rpg. Shaq never had a 30ppg season or even a 14rpg season.
Yeah and Wilt had a 50 PPG 25 RPG season, does that make him better than KAJ? Why you comparing player stats from different eras? Sorry, but KAJ would have been obliterated by Shaq if they played in the same era.
Wilt, KAJ, Shaq and Hakeem are basically on the same level of greatness.

carlthack
08-13-2013, 04:50 PM
Yeah and Wilt had a 50 PPG 25 RPG season, does that make him better than KAJ? Why you comparing player stats from different eras? Sorry, but KAJ would have been obliterated by Shaq if they played in the same era.
Wilt, KAJ, Shaq and Hakeem are basically on the same level of greatness.

Comparing the stats was just one grain of sand out of an entire shoreline of points that I was telling you.

If Hakeem could dominate Shaq, then so too could Kareem. Kareem and Hakeem were very similar players except Kareem had another 3-4 inches of height and length and a more reliable go-to move.

In the early 70s, Wilt was a pretty close equivelant to Shaq and he got dominated by Kareem in that era. Wilt went on record to admit that the only player he ever needed help guarding was Kareem.

ztilzer31
08-13-2013, 05:58 PM
Both KAJ and Shaq were great offensive players. KAJ had the luxury with playing with one of the best facilitators in the game, but he also hit his free throws.

I think Shaq was on the next level as far as offensive dominance. Plus he had injury problems his entire career, and was still able to put up insane numbers.

valade16
08-13-2013, 06:13 PM
Comparing the stats was just one grain of sand out of an entire shoreline of points that I was telling you.

If Hakeem could dominate Shaq, then so too could Kareem. Kareem and Hakeem were very similar players except Kareem had another 3-4 inches of height and length and a more reliable go-to move.

In the early 70s, Wilt was a pretty close equivelant to Shaq and he got dominated by Kareem in that era. Wilt went on record to admit that the only player he ever needed help guarding was Kareem.

No, he wasn't. There was never anyone nearly as physically imposing as Shaq.

If you want to measure greatest by accolades and career accomplishments, yes KAJ is better. But if you measure best by physical abliity I'm not sure there is a right answer.

I can say Shaq was about the most dominating player to have ever played in his prime.

Matter.
08-13-2013, 06:26 PM
So many people taking this serious, shows how much dumb people we have here.

how many*... oh the irony, you should be included in your own statement :D

AlexTmz2
08-13-2013, 06:38 PM
Shaq never knows what he's talking about. He seems to change opinions of players and the game every time i listen to him or read something.

SMH

smith&wesson
08-13-2013, 07:00 PM
shaq is easily the best C the nba has ever seen. in his prime he would own any other C in their prime.

smith&wesson
08-13-2013, 07:00 PM
Shaq never knows what he's talking about. He seems to change opinions of players and the game every time i listen to him or read something.

SMH

i agree. but his opinion of himself is correct.

Chronz
08-13-2013, 07:05 PM

Interesting take but 70's Wilt wasn't comparable to Shaq. And post-op Wilt got dominated in his final days during the regular season but he held his own before he got too old. He dominated him at times during the post season, allegedly intimidating Kareem into submission (basically refusing to challenge Wilt at the rim).

Chronz
08-13-2013, 07:07 PM
Both KAJ and Shaq were great offensive players. KAJ had the luxury with playing with one of the best facilitators in the game, but he also hit his free throws.

I think Shaq was on the next level as far as offensive dominance. Plus he had injury problems his entire career, and was still able to put up insane numbers.

Ive always wondered just how much this helped Kareems game. Same with Stockton + Malone.

ILLUSIONIST^248
08-13-2013, 07:09 PM
Interesting take but 70's Wilt wasn't comparable to Shaq. And post-op Wilt got dominated in his final days during the regular season but he held his own before he got too old. He dominated him at times during the post season, allegedly intimidating Kareem into submission (basically refusing to challenge Wilt at the rim).

bagwell368
08-13-2013, 07:45 PM

Rubbish. Hakeem had the best footwork of any 7 foot Center ever easily. Hakeem had many more low post moves than KAJ (he needed them, KAJ dominated in a much weaker era than Hakeem). Hakeem was far more athletic than KAJ (by orders of magnitude), and was a D first center, and KAJ was not.

The first couple of years when Wilt was still good he beat KAJ up quite a few times, after that he was a shell.

KAJ would have been beat up by Shaq insidem much like what Moses did to him, but outside of 12.5'? KAJ could rain down J's and hooks on Shaq's head w/o any trouble at all.

bagwell368
08-13-2013, 07:47 PM
shaq is easily the best C the nba has ever seen. in his prime he would own any other C in their prime.

Hakeem dominated Shaq in his early prime w/o question.

hardcoreicon
08-13-2013, 07:51 PM
Kareem was trained by Bruce Lee.

carlthack
08-13-2013, 08:23 PM
Rubbish. Hakeem had the best footwork of any 7 foot Center ever easily. Hakeem had many more low post moves than KAJ (he needed them, KAJ dominated in a much weaker era than Hakeem). Hakeem was far more athletic than KAJ (by orders of magnitude), and was a D first center, and KAJ was not.

The first couple of years when Wilt was still good he beat KAJ up quite a few times, after that he was a shell.

KAJ would have been beat up by Shaq insidem much like what Moses did to him, but outside of 12.5'? KAJ could rain down J's and hooks on Shaq's head w/o any trouble at all.

Hakeem had great footwork and did play in a tough era, I'll give you that. But calling KAJ's era weak is absolutely absurd. Here is a list of just some of the big guys that KAJ had to face in his "weak" era.

Wilt Chamberlain
Robert Parish
Moses Malone
Dave Cowens
Artis Gilmore
Bill Walton
Wes Unseld
Nate Thurmond
Bob McAdoo

bagwell368
08-13-2013, 10:15 PM
Hakeem had great footwork and did play in a tough era, I'll give you that. But calling KAJ's era weak is absolutely absurd. Here is a list of just some of the big guys that KAJ had to face in his "weak" era.

Wilt Chamberlain
Robert Parish
Moses Malone
Dave Cowens
Artis Gilmore
Bill Walton
Wes Unseld
Nate Thurmond
Bob McAdoo

Let me make it more clear. From the time KAJ entered the league until the early 80's (which coincides with by far his most dominant stats) the NBA was weak. It was weak because of players lost to the ABA primarily, it was also lesser then the '85-'00 period of great centers due in part to superior diet, training, etc. of the later group.

KAJ still played well until near the end of his long career, but age and the better levels of competition cut his numbers down to much less intense levels than earlier.

Rejected players:

Walton was injured almost constantly. No match.

McAdoo was had 3 year period when he was a big deal, after that, not very much. Became a D mostly player for the Lakers in his later years, so those don't count. No match for KAJ.

Thurmond is one of the most inept offensive players in the HOF that played in the last 50 years, he was no match for KAJ. He was only any good in KAJ's first 5 years.

Between combining the first 3 players you get a total of one player of note.

Unseld is one of the most overrated HOF of all time. He had a great rookie year and a couple of other very good years - no match for KAJ.

Cowens was so intense, that while he was healthy (and had a couple of years of experience) he had a couple of years of giving KAJ a hard time, then his ankles and knees gave out, then his drive to compete - no long term problem for KAJ.

Parish: Parish was dominated by KAJ even when KAJ was old. Parish used to get 2-3 break away hoops a game on KAJ and that made up about 1/2 of his offensive output. KAJ was like kryptonite for Parish.

Wilt was still good for a couple of KAJ's first two years, after that Wilt was toast.

Those 4 guys combined count as one player.

Ahhh finally a couple of guys worthy of mention:

Malone dominated KAJ physically, but he was in the ABA for crucial years, and wasn't a force until '78-'79, by that time KAJ had 3/4 of his dominant years in the books. After that of course in the two playoff meetings they had Moses dominated KAJ.

Gilmore: First FIVE years in the ABA. Then 7 of the next 9 years he was a very good player on both sides of the ball, then faded into being a D only player.

Those guys both count as full players. So 4 players. Did you want to bring up Neil Walk? Sam Lacy? Hank Finkel? I saw everyone of these guys play, and play KAJ. Not buying.

Now survey who Hakeem had:

Shaq
DRob
Ewing
Laimbeer
Parish
Mourning
Mutombo
Willis
Kemp
Divac

No way KAJ's competitors as you listed is any match for Hakeem's.

carlthack
08-13-2013, 10:31 PM
Let me make it more clear. From the time KAJ entered the league until the early 80's (which coincides with by far his most dominant stats) the NBA was weak. It was weak because of players lost to the ABA primarily, it was also lesser then the '85-'00 period of great centers due in part to superior diet, training, etc. of the later group.

KAJ still played well until near the end of his long career, but age and the better levels of competition cut his numbers down to much less intense levels than earlier.

Rejected players:

Walton was injured almost constantly. No match.

McAdoo was had 3 year period when he was a big deal, after that, not very much. Became a D mostly player for the Lakers in his later years, so those don't count. No match for KAJ.

Thurmond is one of the most inept offensive players in the HOF that played in the last 50 years, he was no match for KAJ. He was only any good in KAJ's first 5 years.

Between combining the first 3 players you get a total of one player of note.

Unseld is one of the most overrated HOF of all time. He had a great rookie year and a couple of other very good years - no match for KAJ.

Cowens was so intense, that while he was healthy (and had a couple of years of experience) he had a couple of years of giving KAJ a hard time, then his ankles and knees gave out, then his drive to compete - no long term problem for KAJ.

Parish: Parish was dominated by KAJ even when KAJ was old. Parish used to get 2-3 break away hoops a game on KAJ and that made up about 1/2 of his offensive output. KAJ was like kryptonite for Parish.

Wilt was still good for a couple of KAJ's first two years, after that Wilt was toast.

Those 4 guys combined count as one player.

Ahhh finally a couple of guys worthy of mention:

Malone dominated KAJ physically, but he was in the ABA for crucial years, and wasn't a force until '78-'79, by that time KAJ had 3/4 of his dominant years in the books. After that of course in the two playoff meetings they had Moses dominated KAJ.

Gilmore: First FIVE years in the ABA. Then 7 of the next 9 years he was a very good player on both sides of the ball, then faded into being a D only player.

Those guys both count as full players. So 4 players. Did you want to bring up Neil Walk? Sam Lacy? Hank Finkel? I saw everyone of these guys play, and play KAJ. Not buying.

Now survey who Hakeem had:

Shaq
DRob
Ewing
Laimbeer
Parish
Mourning
Mutombo
Willis
Kemp
Divac

No way KAJ's competitors as you listed is any match for Hakeem's.

You've got a LOT of time on your hands bro.

I see you are exceptional at nick picking and I can easily do the same for most of who you have on your list too but I'm at work right now. But I don't understand why you have sorry-***** like Vlade Divas and Kevin Willis on there. You could've at least put Mark Eaton who was a great defender that both Hakeem AND Kareem had to deal with.

bagwell368
08-13-2013, 10:55 PM
You've got a LOT of time on your hands bro.

What? Then or now? I'm retired...

I see you are exceptional at nick picking and I can easily do the same for most of who you have on your list too but I'm at work right now.

I can't buy Bob McAdoo as a real long lasting competitor for KAJ, nothing nit-picky about it.

But I don't understand why you have sorry-***** like Vlade Divas and Kevin Willis on there. You could've at least put Mark Eaton who was a great defender that both Hakeem AND Kareem had to deal with.

Eaton was a great shot blocker, and had an average at best offensive career, and his career was short.

Divac like it or not was a very good player, better than Unseld if you remove them from their times - plus his career was longer.

Willis is probably a stretch, but at least his career was long. OK, I'll flip him out in favor of Sikma, and you can have Sikma too.

Bruins2012
08-13-2013, 11:00 PM
I dont think shaq understands the concept of professionalism. and i have to say, while i always thought kobe was dead wrong for snitching on the man, Shaq handled the whole thing like a woman himself, he takes it upon himself to make statements and responses that dont sound as witty as they do petty and hoeish.

After a while, people are going to stop caring about your opinion because they know whatever you say is based firstly on "what would make shaq look better than everyone". at least chuck calls it how he actually sees it.

:clap:

SportsFanatic10
08-13-2013, 11:11 PM
it seems that almost whenever shaq talks, he has an agenda to belittle others and make himself seem even greater than he actually was(which was pretty damn great but still lol). i stopped listening to his opinions a while ago.

carlthack
08-13-2013, 11:28 PM
What? Then or now? I'm retired...

I can't buy Bob McAdoo as a real long lasting competitor for KAJ, nothing nit-picky about it.

Eaton was a great shot blocker, and had an average at best offensive career, and his career was short.

Divac like it or not was a very good player, better than Unseld if you remove them from their times - plus his career was longer.

Willis is probably a stretch, but at least his career was long. OK, I'll flip him out in favor of Sikma, and you can have Sikma too.

Yea I forgot about Sikma. That's cool youre retired man.

You know what? From 2000 and up Shaq had a pretty easy era to dominate. Hakeem, Ewing and Drob were all old and retired around then, Mutumbo and Mourning faded away soon after, then there was nobody left to stand in his way except a very under-sized Ben Wallace who he didn't have to face often anyways.

lol, please
08-14-2013, 01:16 AM
Yea I forgot about Sikma. That's cool youre retired man.

You know what? From 2000 and up Shaq had a pretty easy era to dominate. Hakeem, Ewing and Drob were all old and retired around then, Mutumbo and Mourning faded away soon after, then there was nobody left to stand in his way except a very under-sized Ben Wallace who he didn't have to face often anyways.
Then Dwight comes along, and people have the audacity to compare him to SHAQ ATTAQ. :facepalm:

Chronz
08-14-2013, 03:24 AM
stop making a fool of yourself, do your research

JNA17
08-14-2013, 07:49 AM
No, he wasn't. There was never anyone nearly as physically imposing as Shaq.

Are you an idiot?

Wilt Benched 500 pounds, could run as fast if not faster than almost every point guard in the league, wingspan that would make Dwight Howard cry, as tall or an inch taller than shaq as well as weighing 280-310 pounds in his prime years.

Not even mentioning Wilt's skillset, but Wilt would be the most dominate player in the NBA in ANY era with his almost god like physique.

The only thing Shaq has over Wlt physically is that he was fatter. He was not even close to as strong as Wilt was.

ztilzer31
08-14-2013, 01:01 PM
Ive always wondered just how much this helped Kareems game. Same with Stockton + Malone.

I guess it's a fair question considering it's not like Kareem was only good off the Pick N Roll or something, and he did win a chip without Magic.

Also Magic gets too much credit while KAJ kind of gets screwed when it comes to those Lakers teams. I really don't mind where anyone has Hakeem, Shaq, KAJ, and Wilt as long as it's somewhere near the top of their list.

ztilzer31
08-14-2013, 01:05 PM
Hakeem is just a boss. If he played in the NBA today he might be the best player in the game. Not many Centers can rotate to guards, and still play solid defense on the interior.

Rockets Vs Spurs in the Western conference finals (can't remember what year). One of the most amazing playoff performances of all time. Hakeem dominated the interior against Robinson/Rodman.

John Walls Era
08-14-2013, 01:18 PM
Either hes doing this to generate buzz while acting like an attention whore or hes a moron who wants people to talk about him.

Chronz
08-14-2013, 03:02 PM
I guess it's a fair question considering it's not like Kareem was only good off the Pick N Roll or something, and he did win a chip without Magic.

Also Magic gets too much credit while KAJ kind of gets screwed when it comes to those Lakers teams. I really don't mind where anyone has Hakeem, Shaq, KAJ, and Wilt as long as it's somewhere near the top of their list.
He didn't have Magic but he had Big O. Not trying to make it sound like a one way relationship at all tho, they definitely helped each other.

valade16
08-14-2013, 03:57 PM
Are you an idiot?

Wilt Benched 500 pounds, could run as fast if not faster than almost every point guard in the league, wingspan that would make Dwight Howard cry, as tall or an inch taller than shaq as well as weighing 280-310 pounds in his prime years.

Not even mentioning Wilt's skillset, but Wilt would be the most dominate player in the NBA in ANY era with his almost god like physique.

The only thing Shaq has over Wlt physically is that he was fatter. He was not even close to as strong as Wilt was.

Do you have any credible source to back that up? The only thing I was able to find was forum (such as this one) and message boards, and conjecture. I.e. nobody has any official record of him benching 500 lbs. In fact, depending on the source the number swells up to 550 lbs (along with his 48" vertical).

http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=257270

Here are actual measurements:

Wilt:
Height: 7' 1.06"
Wingspan: 7' 8"
Weight: 258-320

Shaq:
Height: 7' 0.88"
Wingspan: 7' 7"
Weight: 280-368.

Shaq as a rookie weighed more than Chamberlain did most of his career, and he was far from Fat at that point...

Here's one with a guy who supposedly worked out with Wilt and said his bench was nowhere near 500lbs, not even 450:

http://forums.******.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=933792

I'll remind you that link has the same credibility as any I've seen saying Wilt can bench 500lbs...

If you have a legitimate source showing he can bench 500 lbs please do post it.

Chronz
08-14-2013, 05:04 PM
Do you have any credible source to back that up?
You might have to search the news docs. Not sure how credible this is but heres an MSNBC transcript by Chris Donohue

http://wiltfan.tripod.com/chat.htm

Host Chris_MSNBC2 says:
M3 says:
Question for Wilt...watched you bench press about 465 lbs like it was a match stick at the Stanford gym when you were working out there for some reason...how much can you still push up?

Host Wilt_Chamberlain says:
Well, probably I can push up a little more than that right now, because I was bench pressing some great weights. I was a shot-putter and lifting weights was a great joy to me. I liked to show off, I don't do that anymore, but I could probably bench press more than 465 pounds now.

This was when he was way past retirement.

valade16
08-14-2013, 05:10 PM
You might have to search the news docs. Not sure how credible this is but heres an MSNBC transcript by Chris Donohue

http://wiltfan.tripod.com/chat.htm

This was when he was way past retirement.

While I'm not going to completely doubt Wilt's word... the only credible source we have is from Wilt himself. Considering we are in a thread talking about how an athlete imbellishes his own legacy, I don't think we should start taking any athletes word on what they can do as gospel.

Also, for what it's worth, googling around about Shaq's bench press, there are several sources (with the same dubious credentials) that say he was benching anywhere from 450-465 as well.

Personally, I find it extremely hard to believe Wilt was stronger (let alone markedly stronger) than Shaq. As strong? Perhaps. But far stronger as the guy implied? Yeah, not buying it without some proof...

Chronz
08-14-2013, 06:35 PM
While I'm not going to completely doubt Wilt's word... the only credible source we have is from Wilt himself. Considering we are in a thread talking about how an athlete imbellishes his own legacy, I don't think we should start taking any athletes word on what they can do as gospel.
Its not just Wilt tho. That transcript involved someone stating they SAW him benching 465 or something (this as an old man). Im sure there are other sources as well. Ill see what I can rummage up but we can both admit that bench press isn't the sole measure of strength.
I dont think anyone can touch the beast that Shaq eventually became (before the decline) but lets keep in mind that strength training is a much bigger part of todays game.

Also, for what it's worth, googling around about Shaq's bench press, there are several sources (with the same dubious credentials) that say he was benching anywhere from 450-465 as well.

Personally, I find it extremely hard to believe Wilt was stronger (let alone markedly stronger) than Shaq. As strong? Perhaps. But far stronger as the guy implied? Yeah, not buying it without some proof...

Im with you on peak Shaq, thats the greatest physical specimen we are likely to see in this sport but all we can go by are limited athletic stats and what their peers thought of their strength. What do you think of using flawed transitive property? Like when Robert Parish was asked who was the strongest player hes ever gone up against, like MANY others, he singled out Artis Gilmore. Now Parish didn't go up against Wilt but he did face a young Shaq and still didn't pick him. Now if you ask people who played during Wilt/Gilmores time, you get a different response. Im going to guess the vast majority picked Wilt, stories of Wilts strength have been corroborated by far too many people to second guess the chance that they all could be equals.

Do you think strength can get in the way tho, like Wilt had really strong hands, but its better for bigmen to have big yet soft hands IMO.

smith&wesson
08-14-2013, 07:08 PM
Hakeem dominated Shaq in his early prime w/o question.

Hakeem is also one of my favourite C's. shaq in his prime was a def speciman though.