PDA

View Full Version : Knicks and Nets to SHARE 2015 ASG?

VinceCarter
08-10-2013, 03:28 PM
What in the ****ing **** is this ****?!?!! :facepalm:

Tim Bontemps reports that the 2015 All-Star Game "almost certainly will be played in New York," with Barclays Center and Madison Square Garden sharing events... but the big question is which arena will host the Game and which will host the various other activities leading up to it -- everything from the Celebrity All-Stars to the Slam Dunk contest.

"There is progress in that the teams are working together ... recognizing that its in both of their interests to create a basketball festival-type atmosphere around All-Star in New York, and so things are going well," NBA deputy commissioner Adam Silver told Bontemps this week.

The preliminary events will be played out on Saturday night and the Game itself Sunday afternoon.

The other issue is where to hold the Jam Session, normally held in a convention center. The venue best suited for it, the Javits Center, a few blocks west of the Garden, is booked the weekend in question, reports Bontemps. "Were looking to work our way to build other events and to find a different way, a unique way to build Jam Session in New York."

http://www.netsdaily.com/2013/8/10/4608502/2015-all-star-game-likely-to-be-played-in-new-york-but-which-arena

UPRock
08-10-2013, 03:44 PM
What's wrong about that?

TheGreaterFool
08-10-2013, 03:56 PM
It's a unique situation, but It would make more sense holding the entire Allstar weekend in one arena.

VinceCarter
08-10-2013, 04:06 PM
What's wrong about that?

Every other team gets to have their own All Star weekend hosting the events and representing their own team. Why should all of a sudden the Knicks and Nets have to share? Doesn't seem fair to me. I don't see how any die hard Knicks or Nets fans could be happy with this arrangement...

TheNumber37
08-10-2013, 04:13 PM
It's a unique situation, but It would make more sense holding the entire Allstar weekend in one arena.

Not exactly, It's NYC, the two arenas or a subway ride away. I'm pretty sure they are going to be pushing the new Subway series in basketball with these two teams and this is a good way to start.

For people coming IN to the city for the event, they shouldn't be upset about the idea of checking out 2 arenas in NYC for the price of one.

Skills challenge, 3 point shootout contest and Dunk contest in Brooklyn
ASG and Rookie V Sophomore game at the garden.

Its not like we are talking about Sacramento and Golden State or splitting up the scene between the Texas teams or the Florida teams.
The Knicks and Nets play 30 mins from each other and both benefit from the event being done like this.

TheNumber37
08-10-2013, 04:19 PM
Any Knicks or Nets fan that's thinking "NOT fare, I Want my OWN ALL Star weekend" is thinking too small minded.

It's not about Sharing the weekend, it's about making the whole weekend bigger for the CITY. BOTH Knicks AND Nets Fans should care about the success of the CITY OVER their respective Burroughs. Nets fans should be grateful since they JUST got to "the city" and Knicks fans should not fret because the best events will be in the garden.

Let the Slam Dunk attempt contest happen in Brooklyn (who won't have any reps there for that or the 3 point shooting... Knicks can get Iman in the Dunk contest)
The Knicks should also have more all stars in 2015 than the Nets.

javaid64
08-10-2013, 04:32 PM
I mean when the yankees and mets have the all star games they don't split the event and they are in the same city. I would've been pissed if i had to go see the HR derby in the bronx instead of driving 10 minutes to citi field.

MelanconMadness
08-10-2013, 05:21 PM
Have the first half at Barclays, the halftime show at Central Park, then the 2nd half at the garden.

NYKnickFanatic
08-10-2013, 05:37 PM
This was posted 4 months ago.

NYKnickFanatic
08-10-2013, 05:38 PM
Any Knicks or Nets fan that's thinking "NOT fare, I Want my OWN ALL Star weekend" is thinking too small minded.

It's not about Sharing the weekend, it's about making the whole weekend bigger for the CITY. BOTH Knicks AND Nets Fans should care about the success of the CITY OVER their respective Burroughs. Nets fans should be grateful since they JUST got to "the city" and Knicks fans should not fret because the best events will be in the garden.

Let the Slam Dunk attempt contest happen in Brooklyn (who won't have any reps there for that or the 3 point shooting... Knicks can get Iman in the Dunk contest)

Exactly. I don't see what the big deal is.

HoodedSB
08-10-2013, 05:59 PM
And no ***** were given. Or gave? Is it gave?

JerseyPalahniuk
08-10-2013, 06:12 PM
Not mad at all, hope we get the actual game haha. Wouldn't mind either way though.

More-Than-Most
08-10-2013, 06:30 PM
If the Slam Dunk contest was worth a damn I could see why this would be a big deal but if either arena was smart they would just give the game itself to the other arena. It blows *** period.

Captain Moroni
08-10-2013, 06:34 PM
Every other team gets to have their own All Star weekend hosting the events and representing their own team. Why should all of a sudden the Knicks and Nets have to share? Doesn't seem fair to me. I don't see how any die hard Knicks or Nets fans could be happy with this arrangement...

doesn't bother me at all.

NYSpirit1
08-10-2013, 06:47 PM

Do you live in this area? If you do, you'd realize how close in proximity the two arenas are. And with that, it's actually a pretty cool idea and I hate the Nets.

Obviously I'd all rather MSG, but this has never been done before.

RLundi
08-10-2013, 07:21 PM
Who cares? I don't see an issue.

They're talking about splitting events up, as in Saturday night at one arena and the ASG at the other. I think it's a cool idea, especially since out-of-towners get to experience two world famous arenas.

Max.This
08-10-2013, 07:26 PM
I'm a knick fan and i dont care lol. Its great that they share. The traffic wont be hell 4 days in a row

John Walls Era
08-10-2013, 07:33 PM
knickstape

Tony_Starks
08-10-2013, 08:52 PM
Supposedly the biggest hold up is who gets the actual game Sunday....

JerseyPalahniuk
08-10-2013, 08:59 PM
Supposedly the biggest hold up is who gets the actual game Sunday....

As it should be, most people who watch any part of the weekend tune in for the Dunk Contest (if any star is in it) or more likely the Game itself

I'm a knick fan and i dont care lol. Its great that they share. The traffic wont be hell 4 days in a row

Exactly. Just got a job offer in Manhattan and went around Times Square/MSG today. Number of people/traffic was already a lot for just a typical Saturday, couldn't imagine how crazy it'll be around an NBA all-star game

FYL_McVeezy
08-10-2013, 09:01 PM

This!!

I don't see what the big deal is.....this is NY unlike any other situation in another city. MSG is MSG. Barclays is a beautiful new arena in a very accessible part of Brooklyn. They are about a 15 min train ride away from each other.

This isn't about "my fav team should get to host the event in it's entirety". This is about making it bigger for the whole city of NY.

IKnowHoops
08-10-2013, 11:38 PM

They could look at this from a different perspective and that is to throw the biggest All Star Weekend ever. New York has so many people they can easily fill two arenas. NYC and the NBA just need to come up with enough fun events to utilize both buildings to the fullest. New York has everything and they should be able to provide more than enough usage between the two stadiums for the ASG.

Soccer008
08-11-2013, 12:01 AM
New York has everything already, don't start getting greedy. I live in Memphis, the All-Star Game coming here would be insane (although highly unlikely)

RiceOnTheRun
08-11-2013, 01:50 AM
This!!

I don't see what the big deal is.....this is NY unlike any other situation in another city. MSG is MSG. Barclays is a beautiful new arena in a very accessible part of Brooklyn. They are about a 15 min train ride away from each other.

This isn't about "my fav team should get to host the event in it's entirety". This is about making it bigger for the whole city of NY.

Exactly. This is about having fun and enjoying NYC. Brooklyn and Manhattan are basically two totally different places and I would imagine it would definitely be an experience to visit both, from an out of towner's perspective at least.

Personally, MSG is easier to get to because I'd just take the LIRR but I've never been to Barclay's so this could be interesting.

colinskik
08-11-2013, 03:00 AM
New York has everything already, don't start getting greedy. I live in Memphis, the All-Star Game coming here would be insane (although highly unlikely)

I'm with you, have the game in a location that would actually appreciate it. Not that my one visit to Memphis makes me an authority, but I'd imagine it could be a significant event that would get a lot of attention among the community and help local businesses. A large chunk of NYers won't ever even know the ASG is happening here because there's too much other **** in this city to get distracted by. I have friend who lives no more than 3 blocks away from the Barclays Center and it wouldn't shock me in the slightest to find in a year and a half from now, after the ASG has come and gone in NY, that he had no idea it happened.

Point is, all of you talking about this big city-wide ASG weekend extravaganza are dreaming. So we're pretending the NBA is doing the fan and NYC tourist a favor by making them take the subway? What's next? When they get to the game they find a small, elderly Chinese lady has scampered to the seat first, bowling over any and everyone in her way. Get the real NY experience.

Just seems forced to split the game between two locations and franchises. I don't understand how Dolan or Prok can be cool with this.