PDA

View Full Version : What if!!!

jericho
08-09-2013, 10:59 AM
Now it's summer time, there is no basketball and pretty much nothing to talk bout. So i pretty much decided to make this thread of What ifs. But with realistic rumors that you heard but never came to happen or if certain players were injury free during their career.

Ex.
Imagine if T-mac and Grant Hill were injury free during their time in Orlando plus they were able to steal away Tim Duncan from the Spurs. How would they have faired? What would they have accomplished?

Or with Portland if Brandon Roy and Greg Oden were healthy.

Feel free to add your own What if scenarios.

Have fun. :D

krisxsong
08-09-2013, 11:25 AM
What if Kobe Bryant never threatened the Nets to play in Europe if they drafted him?

What if Kobe Bryant and Shaq weren't such babies and stayed longer as teammates?

What if Michael Jordan didn't retire to go play baseball?

What if Vince Carter maximized his talents?

What if Jason Kidd could shoot?

What if Andrew Bynum didn't have the maturity of a 10 year old who gets everything they want?

What if Dwight Howard learned some post moves and how to shoot FTs?

What if players actually wanted to play with Kobe Bryant?

What if LeBron James was as clutch as Kobe?

What if Drazen Petrovic never died?

What if Derrick Rose didn't tear his ACL?

What if the Nets landed John Wall instead of Derrick Favors?

What if the Blazers had drafted KD?

What if Oden wasn't injury prone?

What if the Bad Boy Pistons never existed?

tr3ymill3r
08-09-2013, 11:30 AM
I don't think Jordan "retired" from all speculation I've read and heard about, Jordan had and still has a huge gambling problem and David Stern couldn't fine or suspend his Airness.

aTinyPanda
08-09-2013, 11:30 AM
What if LeBron James was as clutch as Kobe?
ummm.... wat:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/truehoop/miamiheat/columns/story?columnist=haberstroh_tom&page=KobeLeBronclutch-101222

http://chasing23.com/kobe-bryant-vs-lebron-james-game-winning-shots/

What if Drazen Petrovic never died?

This is something I've always wondered. Some nights, he was a God among mortals.

ManRam
08-09-2013, 11:42 AM
Ex.
Imagine if T-mac and Grant Hill were injury free during their time in Orlando plus they were able to steal away Tim Duncan from the Spurs. How would they have faired? What would they have accomplished?

:crying:

krisxsong
08-09-2013, 11:45 AM
ummm.... wat:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/truehoop/miamiheat/columns/story?columnist=haberstroh_tom&page=KobeLeBronclutch-101222

http://chasing23.com/kobe-bryant-vs-lebron-james-game-winning-shots/

This is something I've always wondered. Some nights, he was a God among mortals.

Not many men can drop 40+ on Michael Jordan.

As for the LeBron thing, as much as I love him and hate Kobe, Kobe Bryant is more clutch but I probably have a different definition of clutch than you.

LAKobeBryant
08-09-2013, 11:49 AM
What if humans can stop aging when they want

kdspurman
08-09-2013, 11:57 AM
:crying:

Realistically, what do you think that team would've accomplished? How many rings/finals appearances?

NYKnickFanatic
08-09-2013, 12:03 PM
What if Jason Kidd signed with the Spurs?

krisxsong
Realistically, what do you think that team would've accomplished? How many rings/finals appearances?

Who else is on the team? It all depends on this.

aTinyPanda
As for the LeBron thing, as much as I love him and hate Kobe, Kobe Bryant is more clutch but I probably have a different definition of clutch than you.

Just out of curiosity, what is yours? I mean it's one thing to hit game winning shots (infrequently) and it's another to take over entire 4th quarters (frequently). I just look at it from a team perspective.. who would I rather have? The guy who hero balls and is sometimes successful, or the guy who gets everyone involved while pretty much getting to the rim whenever he'd like.

And for context, I am a big fan of both Bron and Kobe so there's not a lot of bias involved in my position.

krisxsong
08-09-2013, 12:04 PM
What if Jason Kidd signed with the Spurs?

It's hard to imagine Kidd having a bigger impact. There was a few years where Kidd was better after they lost to the Spurs in 6, but since that NBA Finals, Parker is still going strong.

C_Mund
08-09-2013, 12:06 PM
Len Bias. That is all.

NYKnickFanatic
08-09-2013, 12:09 PM
Len Bias. That is all.

Vic Page never made it, Len Bias never made it
See God gave us the talent, but the devil make us famous

krisxsong
08-09-2013, 12:11 PM
Just out of curiosity, what is yours? I mean it's one thing to hit game winning shots (infrequently) and it's another to take over entire 4th quarters (frequently). I just look at it from a team perspective.. who would I rather have? The guy who hero balls and is sometimes successful, or the guy who gets everyone involved while pretty much getting to the rim whenever he'd like.

And for context, I am a big fan of both Bron and Kobe so there's not a lot of bias involved in my position.

My definition of being clutch is all about your mental state of mind. It's all about being able to play to your abilities in the tightest of situations.

That doesn't mean hitting the game winner or taking over the 4th, it just means that you're able to play to your ability in crunch time.

Now yes there's no way to measure a players mental state of mind, but over a period of time you get a good idea of who is mentally tough enough.

Michael Jordan. Michael Jordan isn't scared to lose, he isn't scared to fail. He knows he's failed many times in his past. MJ was somebody who was very comfortable in his own skin, had no insecurities. He allowed his past failures to further develop his game.

Take a guy like Arod. Arod is clearly a guy who isn't comfortable in his own skin, far too conscious about other's opinions of him. Even hitting rock bottom has not changed him, something that changes a lot of players for the better. Arod is a product of overthinking, and it's painfully obvious.

You see him at bat and swinging late on a 90 mph fastball in a 3-2 count. In a 3-2 count you're taught to look for a fastball because that's the pitch pitchers can control the best. When he's in his comfort zone, he can clearly catch up to 90 mph fastballs and launch them over outfield walls. When he's in clutch situations he seems to be reacting to a 99 mph fastball because he overthinks his at bats too much.

ManRam
08-09-2013, 12:12 PM

I think they'd have a ring :shrug: Hard to really guess and be more specific than that.

T-Mac was the best wing in the game for a short period of time there, Duncan is a top 10 all-time player and Hill was almost as good as anyone in the league. There are too many "ifs" to even make this enjoyable to discuss, but they'd be great, for sure. Armstrong, Outlaw, and Mike Miller were great tertiary/role players. It would have been a joy to watch.

Duncan in the East would have beasted. The cream was Dike, JO and Zo...the latter being oft-injured. Dale Davis was an All-Star in 2000. Anthony Mason and Antonio Davis started for the East in 2001 with Dike the ONLY big off the bench. There weren't great big men in the East. Out West you had KG, Shaq, Sheed, Webber, Karl, Vlade, The Admiral etc.

Duncan alone would have terrorized the East, but give him the best wing tandem in the league...yikes. What could have been.

That's just being greedy. I would kill just to be able to watch a healthy Grant Hill in Orlando...let alone Duncan.

king4day
08-09-2013, 12:28 PM
What if Howard fell to the Bobcats for their inaugural season instead of Okafor?

Thinking he may have been OK staying on Jordan's team or the talent brought in could have been different.

kdspurman
08-09-2013, 12:43 PM
I think they'd have a ring :shrug: Hard to really guess and be more specific than that.

T-Mac was the best wing in the game for a short period of time there, Duncan is a top 10 all-time player and Hill was almost as good as anyone in the league. There are too many "ifs" to even make this enjoyable to discuss, but they'd be great, for sure. Armstrong, Outlaw, and Mike Miller were great tertiary/role players. It would have been a joy to watch.

Duncan in the East would have beasted. The cream was Dike, JO and Zo...the latter being oft-injured. Dale Davis was an All-Star in 2000. Anthony Mason and Antonio Davis started for the East in 2001 with Dike the ONLY big off the bench. There weren't great big men in the East. Out West you had KG, Shaq, Sheed, Webber, Karl, Vlade, The Admiral etc.

Duncan alone would have terrorized the East, but give him the best wing tandem in the league...yikes. What could have been.

That's just being greedy. I would kill just to be able to watch a healthy Grant Hill in Orlando...let alone Duncan.

Yea it's tough to play into the what if game. I can't imagine as a Magic fan how frustrating it was, not so much as getting Duncan, but like you said just being able to watch a healthy Grant. It did seem like there were some really solid role players there too. Just really unfortunate Hill could never stay healthy. For him, I was glad to see him go out on his own terms.

Re: the Magic, I personally think they would've had at least 2-3 rings and a handful of conf finals appearances. It would've changed the landscape of so many things.

jericho
08-09-2013, 01:42 PM
Outsude of T-mac, Grant Hill(people seem to forget how good he was as a piston) and Timmy the other good players that i saw or would think would be there are Bo Outlaw, Mike Miller and Darrel Armstrong. But still those 3 together would be what the heat are right now.

And for portland with that 09-10 roster would have been really scary

Andree Miller
Brandon Roy
Nicolas Batum
Lamarcus Aldridge
Greg Oden

Plus that well balanced bench that they had.

Oh and Drazen Petrovic was a good one.
What bout Len Bias and Reggie Lewis?
Or if Arvedas Sabonis came in to the league early?

Heatcheck
08-09-2013, 03:09 PM
What if Kobe Bryant never threatened the Nets to play in Europe if they drafted him?

a) What if Kobe Bryant and Shaq weren't such babies and stayed longer as teammates?

b) What if Michael Jordan didn't retire to go play baseball?

c)What if Vince Carter maximized his talents?

d)What if Jason Kidd could shoot?

e)What if Andrew Bynum didn't have the maturity of a 10 year old who gets everything they want?

f)What if Dwight Howard learned some post moves and how to shoot FTs?

g)What if players actually wanted to play with Kobe Bryant?

h)What if LeBron James was as clutch as Kobe?

i)What if Drazen Petrovic never died?

j)What if Derrick Rose didn't tear his ACL?

k)What if the Nets landed John Wall instead of Derrick Favors?

l)What if the Blazers had drafted KD?

m)What if Oden wasn't injury prone?

O)What if the Bad Boy Pistons never existed?

a) more like what if Kobe could accept responsiblity for his own actions and not snitch on his teammates
b)hed have 8 rings
c)im pretty sure he did
d)he can
e)I still wouldnt understand the hype
f)hed actually be worth the max
g)hed have 8 rings
h)hed be less clutch
i)the bullets wouldve been watchable the last 20 yrs
j)hed still be half the player lebron is
k)cant really say id care
l)they wouldnt be the Blazers
m)he wouldnt be greg oden
n)**** intermilan
o)there wouldnt be this false perception that defense was tougher in the 80s

krisxsong
08-09-2013, 03:23 PM
a) more like what if Kobe could accept responsiblity for his own actions and not snitch on his teammates
b)hed have 8 rings
c)im pretty sure he did
d)he can
e)I still wouldnt understand the hype
f)hed actually be worth the max
g)hed have 8 rings
h)hed be less clutch
i)the bullets wouldve been watchable the last 20 yrs
j)hed still be half the player lebron is
k)cant really say id care
l)they wouldnt be the Blazers
m)he wouldnt be greg oden
n)**** intermilan
o)there wouldnt be this false perception that defense was tougher in the 80s

i)...what?

NYKnickFanatic
08-09-2013, 03:37 PM
i)...what?

He thinks he played for Washington.

FYL_McVeezy
08-09-2013, 03:46 PM
What if Penny Hardaway stayed healthy...

FYL_McVeezy
08-09-2013, 03:47 PM
What if the Cavs were able to trade for Amare Stoudamire as reported back in 09.....

Bostonjorge
08-09-2013, 03:54 PM
What if T Mac and Timmy and hill played together in Orlando but ran into the 2001 lakers and shaq stayed that motivated every year and never gained a single pound? How many rings would orlando have won having to play that lakers team every finals after the lakers sweep every rd and shaq has his best averages in the finals?

Heatcheck
08-09-2013, 03:59 PM
i)...what?
ok ok, didnt mean to take your star from you

jericho
08-09-2013, 04:33 PM
What if T Mac and Timmy and hill played together in Orlando but ran into the 2001 lakers and shaq stayed that motivated every year and never gained a single pound? How many rings would orlando have won having to play that lakers team every finals after the lakers sweep every rd and shaq has his best averages in the finals?

I would still take the trio of Hill Duncan and Tmac over the duo of Kobe and Shaq

krisxsong
08-09-2013, 06:09 PM
ok ok, didnt mean to take your star from you

Lol I just didn't understand where you got the bullets from

Tony_Starks
08-09-2013, 08:39 PM
What if they would've called one of numerous fouls on Jordan against Charles Smith and the Knicks wouldve beat the Bulls?

What if Magic doesn't pull a hammy against the Pistons in the Finals?

What if Nick Anderson doesn't choke in the Finals against Houston?

What if Bynum and Ariza had been healthy against Boston?

What if Sheed had actually wanted to be the leader of the Blazers and laid off the refs?

Bostonjorge
08-10-2013, 02:41 AM
What if Jordan didn't push off?

What if Paul was traded to the lakers? Oh wait.

What if lebron's hair line was further back?

What if Iverson talked about practice?

naps
08-10-2013, 03:11 AM
What if Kobe wasn't jealous of Shaq?

Heatcheck
08-10-2013, 11:23 AM
Lol I just didn't understand where you got the bullets from

it was a mistake, ive been doin it for years, the same with pedro martinez playing for the bluejays instead of the expos for some reason, its just stuck in my head

TerzBerz
08-10-2013, 02:47 PM
What if LeBron went to college for a year or two? Does he develop even more skill, drafted to a team like the bucks or raptors?

Matter.
08-10-2013, 03:00 PM
What if Durant went to the Raptors? What if Kobe got traded?

EL_MACHETE
08-10-2013, 03:47 PM
What If LeBron joins Durant & Westbrook in Okc =D

Pg- Westbrook
Sg- Lamb
Sf- Durant
Pf- James
C- Ibaka

*Bench*

Pg- Jackson
Sg- Sefo
Sf- Jones
Pf- Collison
C- Adams

Tony_Starks
08-10-2013, 05:02 PM
What if the East wasnt a 3 team race for the last decade plus?

Goose17
08-10-2013, 05:21 PM
What if Shaq had gone to Phoenix in '04 instead of Miami?

What if Melo had stayed in Denver?

What if D.Rose had never torn his ACL?

What if Portland had drafted Jordan instead of Bowie?

What if the Pistons hadn't drafted Darko?

What if Len Bias hadn't overdosed?

What if Kobe had been traded to the Bulls in '07?

What if Presti didn't break up OKCs core?

What if the Celtics had won the lottery and drafted Duncan?

What if Atlanta had drafted CP3 (or D.Will)?

What if Toronto had drafted Andrew Bynum?

What if the Warriors had drafted Al Jefferson or Josh Smith instead of Andris Biedrins?

What if Toronto had drafted LMA?

What if Toronto, Chicago, Charlotte, Portland, Atlanta, Minnesota, Golden State, Seattle, Orlando, New Orleans, Philly, Utah, Indiana, Washington, Sacramento or New York had drafted Rondo instead of Phoenix?

There's a lot of draft "what if's"

Bostonjorge
08-10-2013, 05:53 PM
What if Lebron believed he could win a ring without a super team?

What if Lebron was playing on the sixers team that AI took to the finals with no AI?

What if Lebron was playing with the nets team Kidd took to the finals with no Kidd?

What if a team had cap room to sign kobe Lebron and melo?

What if a player won 5 rings and people still say he sucks?

What if a single player can be tied for most all nba team awards and tied for the most defensive team awards?

What if Barkley Malone and miller all played together in the 90's on let's say the heat?

What if Jordan had every achievement he's had but with no rings is he still the GOAT?

EL_MACHETE
08-10-2013, 07:08 PM
What if Jordan came back and played with Derrick Rose?

What if Kobe got upset with L.A and join Okc? :D

What if Vince Carter and Tracy McGrady both stayed with Toronto?

seikou8
08-11-2013, 02:10 AM
What if Lebron believed he could win a ring without a super team?

What if Lebron was playing on the sixers team that AI took to the finals with no AI?

What if Lebron was playing with the nets team Kidd took to the finals with no Kidd?

What if a team had cap room to sign kobe Lebron and melo?

What if a player won 5 rings and people still say he sucks?

What if a single player can be tied for most all nba team awards and tied for the most defensive team awards?

What if Barkley Malone and miller all played together in the 90's on let's say the heat?

What if Jordan had every achievement he's had but with no rings is he still the GOAT?

:rolleyes:ofcourse

JLynn943
08-11-2013, 03:03 AM
What if the 2002 WCF wasn't fixed.... :sigh:

Kings most likely would have won it all, and maybe none of the arena mess happens. Maybe after breaking through once it could have happened again..

slashsnake
08-11-2013, 04:10 AM
What if Antonio McDyess never hurt his legs. Is he HOF bound?
What if Phil Jackson chose the Pacers in 1989 instead of the Bulls when they had their coaching vacancy?
What if Hakeem Olajuwon doesn’t get a finger on that last three by John Starks in the finals game 6 with the Knicks up 3-2. Does it go in?
What if Lebron decided to play football instead as a kid?
What if Jordan decided to play baseball instead?
What if the Hornets kept Kobe?
What if Shaq stayed in Orlando and Penny never got hurt?
What if Barkley won a ring, how much further up the all time list would he be?

topdog
08-11-2013, 03:11 PM
What if the Wolves had traded Randy Foye (as a rookie) for Allen Iverson? Also, what if they had also pulled the trigger on the rumored Sczerbiak for Artest deal?

Heatcheck
08-12-2013, 09:38 AM
a)What if Lebron believed he could win a ring without a super team?

b)What if Lebron was playing on the sixers team that AI took to the finals with no AI?

c)What if Lebron was playing with the nets team Kidd took to the finals with no Kidd?

d)What if a team had cap room to sign kobe Lebron and melo?

e)What if a player won 5 rings and people still say he sucks?

f)What if a single player can be tied for most all nba team awards and tied for the most defensive team awards?

g)What if Barkley Malone and miller all played together in the 90's on let's say the heat?

h)What if Jordan had every achievement he's had but with no rings is he still the GOAT?

a)he'd probably spend 7 years trying and still make it to the finals despite his incompetent FO
b)they wouldve won at least two
c)they wouldve won at least one
d)Lebron would average a triple double
e)he'd probably be named Derek Fisher
f)id say hes popular with the people who vote for him
g)malone and barkley would be in jail right now for killing the other
h)absolutely