PDA

View Full Version : Best bench this season ?

leprechaun5
08-08-2013, 10:40 AM
Who do you guys think has the best bench ?

Pacers - CJ Watson , Stephenson , Copeland , Scola , Mahinmi

Clippers - Collison , Crawford , Barnes , Mullens , Hollins

Nets - Livingston , Terry , Kirilenko , Evans , Blatche

Knicks - Udrih , Jr Smith , MWP , Bargnani , Stoudemire/Martin .(idk their starting line-up yet)

Other

I only mentioned the guys who will play more and can be contributors come playoff time .

nycericanguy
08-08-2013, 10:43 AM
The Beno signing puts NY's bench over the top... Bargs is likely a starter though, if not it's MWP. Amare is on a min limit and will def come off the bench.

You also left out Prigs from the bench...

ManningToTyree
08-08-2013, 10:45 AM
Yeah amare is definitely not starting for the Knicks. If Woodson sticks with small ball artest will start. If not it will be Bargs.

leprechaun5
08-08-2013, 10:47 AM
i did mention though that i don't know how knicks are going to start the game .

i projected based on their starting lineup in playoffs last year but i have to admit i forgot about amare ..

nycericanguy
08-08-2013, 10:50 AM

i projected based on their starting lineup in playoffs last year but i have to admit i forgot about amare ..

and Prigs... :p

i know he started late last year but I doubt he starts this year

29$JerZ
08-08-2013, 10:50 AM

It will most likely be either Felton/Shumpert/Melo/Bargnani/Tyson or Felton/Prigioni/Shumpert/Melo/Tyson
I want to believe its the traditional lineup so our bench would be Pablo/Beno/Smith/Metta/Amar'e/Martin

shep33
08-08-2013, 10:55 AM
Clips by far. Collison, Crawford and Barnes can start for a lot of teams

I Rock Shaqs
08-08-2013, 10:58 AM
Could've sworn there was like 2 or 3 of these exact same threads for the last 2 weeks.

I Rock Shaqs
08-08-2013, 10:59 AM
Gotta go with the Knicks.

leprechaun5
08-08-2013, 11:00 AM

they have to sign another big ,hollins and mullens are meh .

ChitownbullsBG7
08-08-2013, 11:02 AM
I like Portalnd's bench. Mo/McCollum/Wright/T-rob/Leonard/Crabbe/ Barton, they are easily 12 deep. With guys like Freeland and Claver to spair. Best bench in the league. Had the worst bench this last season. NYK are right behind them though.

Captain Moroni
08-08-2013, 11:14 AM
If Woodson goes with Felton/Prigioni in the small ball starting 5, beno off the bench is going to get some major minutes with JR Smith in the second unit.

Miami has a pretty solid bench as well

Indiana is very tough off the pine

Brooklyn is stacked.

The east is going to be crazy this year

nycericanguy
08-08-2013, 11:18 AM

but they lack bigs...

Knicks have a good balance, Beno, MWP, Amare & JR could all start on teams as well. Kmart is the weakest link and even he's a guy that started a lot for the Clips & Knicks recently.

and yea agree with elledaddy... saying they can start for "a lot" of teams is a huge exaggeration. Maybe a few, if that.

MWP, Beno actually did start last year.

elledaddy
08-08-2013, 11:20 AM

Lmao, no they cant start for " a lot" of teams. Crawford probably 5 while barnes and collison would both be under that. Im not even looking into rosters either. Man Collison lost his spot to Mike Dam James

ManningToTyree
08-08-2013, 11:26 AM
Based off of the teams you listed it's between the pacers/Knicks . Both teams have a legit back up at every position. The pacers should be better defensively while the Knicks have more scoring firepower so it is a matter of preference.

elledaddy
08-08-2013, 11:41 AM
I forgot to answer. It would be " OTHER" as in DENVER

1.Andre Miller/Nate Robinson
2.Evan Fournier or Randy Foye/Eric Green
3.Wilson Chandler or Gallinari/ Jordan Hamilton
4.Faried or JJ Hickson/Darnell Arthur/Anthony Randolph
5. Mozgov or McGee

That could really be a legit NBA team with a 9 man rotation

Clippersfan86
08-08-2013, 12:04 PM
Nets or Clippers. Knicks bench being overrated tremendously by Knicks fans again. If Amare is on the bench instead of Bargs, Woodson is an idiot (not surprising though). A bench carried by multiple players who haven't had particularly high impact yet Knicks fans constantly talk about as if they are great. One example of this being Prigioni who put up 3 ppg, 3 apg last year on average efficiency.

Knicks bench is once again Jr Smith followed by a bunch of average or worse players. Udrih is decent, Kenyon is decent once in a while but nothing special. The addition of MWP will help mostly in an intangible way. He will bring toughness and heart but don't see much production from him. Mike D's system really boosted him this last year on the Lakers. Behind the Knicks loaded frontcourt he's not going to get big minutes or many shots.

The Nets on the other hand for example have 3 potential starting caliber players and a couple quality role players on their bench. On paper I'd give them the nod.

Clippersfan86
08-08-2013, 12:12 PM
Amare when he started getting back into a rhythm again looked great last year. I think it's idiotic to bring him off the bench when he's clearly the best PF. The Melo at PF thing is dumb and won't work consistently, especially with the top teams in the east getting so much bigger and more talented this summer.

Knicks need to run a lineup of Felton, Shumpert, Melo, Amare and Chandler. Have a bench of Bargnani, Artest, Jr Smith. That would be a very nice 8 man rotation. Then if Tim Hardaway develops decently you have another guy off the bench who can get it done. I feel like Woodson loves trying dumb sh** and if it works once or twice sticks with it for good.

b@llhog24
08-08-2013, 12:32 PM
Warriors. They're the best at everything.

elledaddy
08-08-2013, 12:33 PM
Amare when he started getting back into a rhythm again looked great last year. I think it's idiotic to bring him off the bench when he's clearly the best PF. The Melo at PF thing is dumb and won't work consistently, especially with the top teams in the east getting so much bigger and more talented this summer.

Knicks need to run a lineup of Felton, Shumpert, Melo, Amare and Chandler. Have a bench of Bargnani, Artest, Jr Smith. That would be a very nice 8 man rotation. Then if Tim Hardaway develops decently you have another guy off the bench who can get it done. I feel like Woodson loves trying dumb sh** and if it works once or twice sticks with it for good.

Sooooooo outside of the Nets going from Reggie Evans to KG starting at PF, which top team in the east got " so much bigger"?

b@llhog24
08-08-2013, 12:33 PM
Nets or Clippers. Knicks bench being overrated tremendously by Knicks fans again. If Amare is on the bench instead of Bargs, Woodson is an idiot (not surprising though). A bench carried by multiple players who haven't had particularly high impact yet Knicks fans constantly talk about as if they are great. One example of this being Prigioni who put up 3 ppg, 3 apg last year on average efficiency.

Knicks bench is once again Jr Smith followed by a bunch of average or worse players. Udrih is decent, Kenyon is decent once in a while but nothing special. The addition of MWP will help mostly in an intangible way. He will bring toughness and heart but don't see much production from him. Mike D's system really boosted him this last year on the Lakers. Behind the Knicks loaded frontcourt he's not going to get big minutes or many shots.

The Nets on the other hand for example have 3 potential starting caliber players and a couple quality role players on their bench. On paper I'd give them the nod.

Prigs isn't a lot a things. Inefficient he is not.

All-In
08-08-2013, 01:07 PM
i like the Heat’s bench Cole Allen Battier Lewis and Birdman…its like another starting 5

Clippersfan86
08-08-2013, 01:12 PM
Prigs isn't a lot a things. Inefficient he is not.

Is average efficiency the same as inefficient to you? His TS+WS/48 aren't as good as I would have thought considering all the hype Knicks fans give him. He's just not a big impact player is what my point was.

leprechaun5
08-08-2013, 01:13 PM
i like the heat’s bench cole allen battier lewis and birdman…its like another starting 5

lol

Clippersfan86
08-08-2013, 01:13 PM
Sooooooo outside of the Nets going from Reggie Evans to KG starting at PF, which top team in the east got " so much bigger"?

Heat added Oden who's a 7 footer who is at about 270+ pounds. Maybe he never regains his game but his size will still be a problem if healthy. Pacers swapped a wing for Scola which obviously makes them bigger. Nets added size in the frontcourt with KG at PF instead of Humphries.

D-Leethal
08-08-2013, 01:14 PM
Knicks have the most firepower but time will tell which bench gells the best.

D-Leethal
08-08-2013, 01:14 PM
Is average efficiency the same as inefficient to you? His TS+WS/48 aren't as good as I would have thought considering all the hype Knicks fans give him. He's just not a big impact player is what my point was.

Tell that to the 16-2 Knicks record directly after starting him and giving him major minutes.

D-Leethal
08-08-2013, 01:16 PM
Certain guys aren't even worth your time evaluating through statistics of any kind - Prigs is one of them. His calming presence and basketball IQ, timely shooting (even if its just 1 shot a game), facilitation of ball movement (even if he doesn't get an assist), his pesky full court pressure (Even if he doesn't get a steal) are huge bonuses for this team.

Some guys you are better off looking at how the TEAM produces when they are on the court. Prigs is one of those guys.

And hey, everyone is allowed to overrate the competition and let them leapfrog the Knicks based on paper arguments, so Knicks fans should be able to overrate their bench based on paper arguments. On paper, nobody has more talent on their bench than the Knicks.

Clippersfan86
08-08-2013, 01:21 PM
Certain guys aren't even worth your time evaluating through statistics of any kind - Prigs is one of them. His calming presence and basketball IQ, timely shooting (even if its just 1 shot a game), facilitation of ball movement (even if he doesn't get an assist), his pesky full court pressure (Even if he doesn't get a steal) are huge bonuses for this team.

And hey, everyone is allowed to overrate the competition and let them leapfrog the Knicks based on paper arguments, so Knicks fans should be able to overrate their bench based on paper arguments. On paper, nobody has more talent on their bench than the Knicks.

I believe this (about Prigioni). I've argued intangibles vs stats a dozen times here. I'm not trying to make fun of Knicks fans or anything. I just genuinely don't get why every time a topic like this comes up.. there is a group of Knicks fans who think they have the best of literally EVERYTHING. Feel free to overrate, I was simply disagreeing with the posters who did so. IF everything goes the Knicks way they CAN have the best bench no doubt. If somehow Bargnani returns to 2-3 year ago form, if Tim Hardaway pans out. If Artest is still able to give good minutes at a high level like last year. If Kenyon doesn't act out because of a lack of role or minutes.

If everything goes well, on paper as you said the Knicks bench is near the top. Thing is... Byron Mullens was added to our bench for about 1/12th of the cost of Bargnani and they put up identical production last year pretty much. Yet if I bring up Byron Mullens as a positive I'll get bashed for being a homer lol.

Chronz
08-08-2013, 01:51 PM
Thing is... Byron Mullens was added to our bench for about 1/12th of the cost of Bargnani and they put up identical production last year pretty much. Yet if I bring up Byron Mullens as a positive I'll get bashed for being a homer lol.

....... wat?

All-In
08-08-2013, 01:53 PM
lol

What? That lineup was close to the one that beat AT spurs with Duncan, Leonard, and paker healthy in a reg season game last year

All-In
08-08-2013, 01:58 PM
The nets bench is really good too. They did a nice job at filling out the roster with AK, Terry, Evans and Blatche

Clippersfan86
08-08-2013, 01:58 PM
....... wat?

Player A: 28.7 MPG, 12.7 PPG, 3.7 RPG, 39.9% FG, 30.9% 3P, 84.4% FT, 1.1 APG, 0.6 SPG, 0.7 BPG. TS% of 48, WS/48 of .007.

Player B: 26.9 MPG, 10.6 PPG, 6.4 RPG, 38.5% FG, 31.7% 3P, 64.6% FT, 1.5 APG, 0.6 SPG, 0.6 BPG. TS% of 46.5, WS/48 of .006.

Player A is Andrea Bargnani, who the Knicks will have for two more years at over $23 million, and gave up a first rounder and several second rounders to get. Player B is Byron Mullens for a minimum contract.

NYKnickFanatic
08-08-2013, 02:00 PM
Player A: 28.7 MPG, 12.7 PPG, 3.7 RPG, 39.9% FG, 30.9% 3P, 84.4% FT, 1.1 APG, 0.6 SPG, 0.7 BPG. TS% of 48, WS/48 of .007.

Player B: 26.9 MPG, 10.6 PPG, 6.4 RPG, 38.5% FG, 31.7% 3P, 64.6% FT, 1.5 APG, 0.6 SPG, 0.6 BPG. TS% of 46.5, WS/48 of .006.

Player A is Andrea Bargnani, who the Knicks will have for two more years at over $23 million, and gave up a first rounder and several second rounders to get. Player B is Byron Mullens for a minimum contract.

Is this from last year? If so, you took Bargs stats from an injured year? lol

Clippersfan86
08-08-2013, 02:01 PM
Oh also we are forgetting the Blazers bench which quickly went from easily league worst to potentially top 10 or top 5 even. Neil Olshey is a brilliant GM. I'm surprised multiple brilliant minds in front offices have been coming from our front office.

Blazers bench...

Mo Williams
CJ McCollum
Dorell Wright
Thomas Robinson
Meyers Leonard

D-Leethal
08-08-2013, 02:02 PM

Player A was playing with a bum wrist all year and has put up MUCH better seasons in this league when healthy, and when playing off an all star caliber player.

Same can't be said for player B, though he has never played on a good team yet.

Last season isn't the one and only place you can judge Bargs from. Ever heard of a bounce back year? How about trying to find a more comparable role to the one he will be in next year?

Clippersfan86
08-08-2013, 02:03 PM
Is this from last year? If so, you took Bargs stats from an injured year? lol

Mullens was MUCH better before an ankle injury forced him to miss over a month last year, so the injury excuse works for both guys. Point still stands. Bargnani is no doubt more talented and skilled but that comparison really gives perspective to the CURRENT situation. Mullens under Doc very well could thrive and I think he will. Yet he's still being counted as a negative by most fans and if I say otherwise, I'd be labeled a homer for it as I said.

Clippersfan86
08-08-2013, 02:07 PM
Player A was playing with a bum wrist all year and has put up MUCH better seasons in this league when healthy, and when playing off an all star caliber player.

Same can't be said for player B, though he has never played on a good team yet.

Last season isn't the one and only place you can judge Bargs from. Ever heard of a bounce back year? How about trying to find a more comparable role to the one he will be in next year?

I'm not saying it's out of the question but if you dig deeper he has never had the impact to match the big numbers. His career stats like WS/48 are laughably bad. I'm talking about .059 laughably bad. Which is a fraction away from being HALF of what an average player's WS/48 is. 18 shots to score 21.5 isn't impressive on a lotto team for example. I do believe it's much easier to put up great stats on a bad team and I've witnessed this myself multiple times with the Clippers.

I'm just saying he may put up better stats but he will never be a huge plus on a team, largely because of his ATROCIOUS rebounding and defense.

nycericanguy
08-08-2013, 02:11 PM
Mullens was MUCH better before an ankle injury forced him to miss over a month last year, so the injury excuse works for both guys. Point still stands. Bargnani is no doubt more talented and skilled but that comparison really gives perspective to the CURRENT situation. Mullens under Doc very well could thrive and I think he will. Yet he's still being counted as a negative by most fans and if I say otherwise, I'd be labeled a homer for it as I said.

Mullens posted career highs pretty much across the board last year.

You're REALLY reaching trying to make that comp.

Bargs was 18.3ppg 5.5rpg 45% from 2008-2012

Mullens has never even sniffed those numbers and never will.

elledaddy
08-08-2013, 02:17 PM
Heat added Oden who's a 7 footer who is at about 270+ pounds. Maybe he never regains his game but his size will still be a problem if healthy. Pacers swapped a wing for Scola which obviously makes them bigger. Nets added size in the frontcourt with KG at PF instead of Humphries.

1. You including Oden in this like he has any effect on Melo playing PF is silly. And thats if he has any effect at all period.

2. I'm the one that said KG so it's no point in repeating that.

3. The pacers may have swapped a wing in the trade but really they lost Tyler Hansbrough and Jeff Pendergraph which is why they got Scola. So no, they didnt get Bigger.

The funny thing about your comment is that the Knicks is actually the team that got bigger.
added
Hardaway JR 6-6 210
Artest 6-7 260
Bargs 7-0 256
Tyler 6-11 260

Lost
Kidd 6-4 210
Novak 6-10 225
Camby 6-11 245
James White 6-7 210

FYL_McVeezy
08-08-2013, 02:30 PM

Please don't speak on things you know nothing of.......

Amare is coming off of the bench to limit his minutes and keep his knees fresh to get through a full NBA season and be healthy enough to contribute come playoff time.....

Stat will likely be on a minutes restriction of about 20 mins next season and will not play in back to back games...

Clippersfan86
08-08-2013, 02:39 PM
Please don't speak on things you know nothing of.......

Amare is coming off of the bench to limit his minutes and keep his knees fresh to get through a full NBA season and be healthy enough to contribute come playoff time.....

Stat will likely be on a minutes restriction of about 20 mins next season and will not play in back to back games...

I'm aware of his minutes restriction. Has nothing to do with starting or not. Bargnani's fail rebounding and defense will get the team in a hole too many times. He is the one that should be coming off the bench for pure scoring and let Amare start the team off right.

Clippersfan86
08-08-2013, 02:40 PM
1. You including Oden in this like he has any effect on Melo playing PF is silly. And thats if he has any effect at all period.

2. I'm the one that said KG so it's no point in repeating that.

3. The pacers may have swapped a wing in the trade but really they lost Tyler Hansbrough and Jeff Pendergraph which is why they got Scola. So no, they didnt get Bigger.

The funny thing about your comment is that the Knicks is actually the team that got bigger.
added
Hardaway JR 6-6 210
Artest 6-7 260
Bargs 7-0 256
Tyler 6-11 260

Lost
Kidd 6-4 210
Novak 6-10 225
Camby 6-11 245
James White 6-7 210

I didn't say the Knicks didn't get bigger. I said small ball is a stupid new cliche in basketball and that your best success will come with Melo at SF, Shumpert back to SG. Knicks have a top 5 frontcourt and need to start using their size to an advantage more and stop trying to emulate Heat small ball.

Clippersfan86
08-08-2013, 02:41 PM
Mullens posted career highs pretty much across the board last year.

You're REALLY reaching trying to make that comp.

Bargs was 18.3ppg 5.5rpg 45% from 2008-2012

Mullens has never even sniffed those numbers and never will.

I didn't reach on anything. I posted what both players put up last year and the comparison was astoundingly close. They are as close of a match statistically and stylistically last year as you will find. It wasn't a projection, but rather me posting the most recent season's production.

NYKnickFanatic
08-08-2013, 02:45 PM
I didn't reach on anything. I posted what both players put up last year and the comparison was astoundingly close. They are as close of a match statistically and stylistically last year as you will find. It wasn't a projection, but rather me posting the most recent season's production.

Mullens > Bargs

/thread

KnickaBocka.44
08-08-2013, 02:54 PM

The 13 game win streak that coincided with him starting shows he knows how to win. I don't care about his stats.

JerseyPalahniuk
08-08-2013, 02:55 PM
Lost
Kidd 6-4 210
Novak 6-10 225
Camby 6-11 245
James White 6-7 210

And Copeland

KnickaBocka.44
08-08-2013, 02:56 PM

What's the difference between that and starting Bargnani when Amare can only play 20 minutes? Amare would probably come out of the game at the 8 minute mark anyway.

KnickaBocka.44
08-08-2013, 02:58 PM
Oh also we are forgetting the Blazers bench which quickly went from easily league worst to potentially top 10 or top 5 even. Neil Olshey is a brilliant GM. I'm surprised multiple brilliant minds in front offices have been coming from our front office.

Blazers bench...

Mo Williams
CJ McCollum
Dorell Wright
Thomas Robinson
Meyers Leonard

There's a lot of potential there. I can't say it's very good, right now, though.

Clippersfan86
08-08-2013, 03:40 PM
What's the difference between that and starting Bargnani when Amare can only play 20 minutes? Amare would probably come out of the game at the 8 minute mark anyway.

The difference is you want Bargnani to be the one going against the bench players so he doesn't get destroyed every night.

KnickaBocka.44
08-08-2013, 03:46 PM
The difference is you want Bargnani to be the one going against the bench players so he doesn't get destroyed every night.

You make it seem like Amare is a good defender. They are both bad, which is why I asked what the difference is.

Clippersfan86
08-08-2013, 03:56 PM
You make it seem like Amare is a good defender. They are both bad, which is why I asked what the difference is.

Amare is subpar but he's not atrocious. Bargnani is ATROCIOUS on the glass and defensively. You'll see what I mean soon enough. No doubt he can score very well though which is why you want him going against lesser players so he can go off easier without getting torched himself. Imagine him as your 7' tall Jamal Crawford and you'll understand.

KnickaBocka.44
08-08-2013, 04:20 PM
Amare is subpar but he's not atrocious. Bargnani is ATROCIOUS on the glass and defensively. You'll see what I mean soon enough. No doubt he can score very well though which is why you want him going against lesser players so he can go off easier without getting torched himself. Imagine him as your 7' tall Jamal Crawford and you'll understand.

LOL I understand just fine. Amare is going to be playing some minutes at C also, Bargnani is going to see court time against 2nd units. I'm not sure why people think that because a player starts, he never goes against 2nd string players.

MonroeFAN
08-08-2013, 04:30 PM
NY for me.

TrueFan420
08-08-2013, 04:33 PM
I won't say best but the warriors have a good bench

Douglas
Barnes
Green
Spieghts
JO and ezeil when healthy

Chronz
08-08-2013, 04:34 PM

dafuq?

Chronz
08-08-2013, 04:49 PM
I dont think anyone is worse defensively than Amare BTW

Clippersfan86
08-08-2013, 05:25 PM
Maybe I'm wrong about that... but Barg would definitely give him a run for his money lol. I don't get why people are so hard on Amare. Every time I watch him he's fine at least offensively and his impact is positive for the most part. Is he on that minute restriction for the rest of his career Knicks fans?

RiceOnTheRun
08-08-2013, 06:18 PM
I think it's between the Knicks, Nets and Pacers.

Pacers will have either George, Granger or Stephenson coming off the bench. Any of the three would be strong.
Knicks would have JR and Amare as their top bench guys. Nets would have AK47 and JET.

I think the Knicks have the most depth out of the three, while having some pretty high caliber guys to carry the scoring load. The Knicks have three guys coming off the bench who scored in the double digits last year. Compare that to some teams that have less than 5 overall and you can see the depth of offensive capability coming off the bench for us.

PS. For anyone who argues against Amare, despite him being overpaid, when healthy he still puts up 14 and 5 coming off the bench. I would trade him in a heartbeat for any other decent player, but the fact is he is a legit player when he's healthy.

leprechaun5
08-09-2013, 11:09 AM

Douglas
Barnes
Green
Spieghts

this isn't a top 5 bench .

leprechaun5
08-09-2013, 11:09 AM

Douglas
Barnes
Green
Spieghts

this isn't a top 5 bench .

krisxsong
08-09-2013, 11:14 AM

So can Blatche and AK47 and Terry.

krisxsong
08-09-2013, 11:19 AM
The Beno signing puts NY's bench over the top... Bargs is likely a starter though, if not it's MWP. Amare is on a min limit and will def come off the bench.

You also left out Prigs from the bench...

Beno puts them over the top? LOLLLLL. People be acting like Beno is Rajon Rondo out there.

Beno is not good enough to affect a teams bench from being poor to great.

I think it's safe to assume NYKs starting lineup looks like

Felton - Shumpert - Melo - Bargs - Chandler.

That leaves JR, Beno, MWP, and Martin on the bench. Martin is a scrub, Beno is basically a scrub, MWP is useless, and Martin is washed up. STAT might play, might not. Even when he does at this point in his career it's looking like he'll have a negative impact on his team.

Compare that to Stephenson, Copeland, Scola, Mahini. Far better.

AK47, Blatche, Terry, Evans. Far better.

Collison, Crawford, Barnes, Mullens. Far better.

And no I don't hate the Knicks, I root for them when they aren't playing Brooklyn and I want them to be good.

GMpunk
08-16-2013, 06:30 AM

Rockice_8
08-16-2013, 08:47 AM
Nets
Knicks
Pacers
Clips

In that order. Terry, AK, and Blatche form the best trio plus they can go legit 12 deep.

lamzoka
08-16-2013, 09:06 AM

I remembered how everyone said the clipps had the best bench last season, but yet they got bounced in the first round.
I'll take Knicks bench over clipps bench any day.

MrfadeawayJB
08-16-2013, 11:20 AM
I like the clips. They have the deepest talent in the league IMO

Homer pick: I do like Memphis bench this year. Bench scoring is much improved

Bayless
Pondexter
Miller
Davis
Koufas

2, maybe 3 of them could be starting elsewhere

Clippersfan86
08-16-2013, 12:59 PM
I remembered how everyone said the clipps had the best bench last season, but yet they got bounced in the first round.
I'll take Knicks bench over clipps bench any day.

Getting bounced by an equal foe= bench problem? It was actually our entire starting lineup outside of CP3 that cost us the series, not the bench. The Clippers bench last year was statistically one of the greatest OF ALL TIME when you combine offense and defense. It was the second or third best defensive bench in NBA history if I recall correctly.

Our bench regularly EXTENDED leads to 20+ points and even against contenders pushed teams to the limits. I remember an awful game against Indy this year where our starters got us down like 29 points. The bench got put in and made a HUGE run to nearly steal the game.

Clippersfan86
08-16-2013, 01:01 PM

Bayless
Pondexter
Miller
Davis
Koufas

You guys definitely have a highly underrated bench and what could easily be a top 10 bench if Jorger uses them correctly. I think Hollins biggest flaw (from my outside perspective) was his lack of creativity when it came to finding time for these young guys. He seemed to be like Vinny where he played favorites with vets he liked. Q Pondexter is a big pain in the Clippers *** I can tell you that much. Now we don't have Bledsoe to stress you guys out anymore :cry:.

FOXHOUND
08-16-2013, 01:31 PM
Beno puts them over the top? LOLLLLL. People be acting like Beno is Rajon Rondo out there.

Beno is not good enough to affect a teams bench from being poor to great.

I think it's safe to assume NYKs starting lineup looks like

Felton - Shumpert - Melo - Bargs - Chandler.

That leaves JR, Beno, MWP, and Martin on the bench. Martin is a scrub, Beno is basically a scrub, MWP is useless, and Martin is washed up. STAT might play, might not. Even when he does at this point in his career it's looking like he'll have a negative impact on his team.

Compare that to Stephenson, Copeland, Scola, Mahini. Far better.

AK47, Blatche, Terry, Evans. Far better.

Collison, Crawford, Barnes, Mullens. Far better.

And no I don't hate the Knicks, I root for them when they aren't playing Brooklyn and I want them to be good.

Beno averaged 8.2 PPG and 4.6 APG in 22 MPG off the bench last year, but he's basically a scrub? In Orlando his minutes increased to 27 MPG and his averages climbed to 10.2 PPG and 6.1 APG to 2.0 TO after getting away from the ball hog duo in Milwaukee.

Martin averaged 5.8 PPG, 4.5 REB, 1.4 BLK and 0.8 STL with a .580 FG% in just 21 MPG in last years playoffs. That's washed up? That's scrub production from a backup big?

Then you list JASON TERRY, the definition of WASHED UP SCRUB. Last year he averaged 10.1 PPG and 2.5 APG in 27 MPG. He was a worse player than Beno Udrih last season, and at age 36 he isn't getting any better.

Blatche is a nice backup big, but Amare Stoudemire craps all over him. Even in his limited form in recovery last season he was able to average 14.2 PPG on a .577 FG% and .808 FT% in just 23.5 MPG. He was also able to put together incredibly efficient stretches as he started to get back into rhythm.

6 GP
17.3 PPG, 24.9 MPG, .729 FG%, .783 FT%, 9.8 FGA, 3.8 FTA

11 GP
17.0 PPG, 24.2 MPG, .660 FG%, .836 FT%, 9.4 FGA, 5.5 FTA

Amare scored 20 points in a game 6 times in his 29 games back, being limited in most of them.

Blatche scored 20 points in a game 6 times in 82 games last season.

In the role of good scoring big off the bench there is no comparison.

AK47 was a really good pick up, but how is MWP useless? Just more nonsense spewing from you.

Evans? Talk about a scrub. The only things he does at a good level is rebound and flop.

JR Smith - Reigning 6th Man of the Year
Amare
MWP/Bargnani - Whichever one doesn't start
Martin
Udrih
Prigioni

Yeah, that bench craps all over the Nets bench and it's two good players, one washed up scrub and a hustling flopper.

MrfadeawayJB
08-16-2013, 01:34 PM

Bayless
Pondexter
Miller
Davis
Koufas

You guys definitely have a highly underrated bench and what could easily be a top 10 bench if Jorger uses them correctly. I think Hollins biggest flaw (from my outside perspective) was his lack of creativity when it came to finding time for these young guys. He seemed to be like Vinny where he played favorites with vets he liked. Q Pondexter is a big pain in the Clippers *** I can tell you that much. Now we don't have Bledsoe to stress you guys out anymore :cry:.

Haha yeah losing Bledsoe sucks but it was better to get something out of it via trade than let him walk. Pondexter has been improving every year so I expect him to get more mins from the aging prince.

And as far as Hollins you are on the money. He never agreed with the trade and never gave Ed Davis a chance to really contribute. Joeger wants Davis to be a big contributed this season and he gas been working out all summer, so I expect a break out season for him

FOXHOUND
08-16-2013, 01:37 PM
Getting bounced by an equal foe= bench problem? It was actually our entire starting lineup outside of CP3 that cost us the series, not the bench. The Clippers bench last year was statistically one of the greatest OF ALL TIME when you combine offense and defense. It was the second or third best defensive bench in NBA history if I recall correctly.

Our bench regularly EXTENDED leads to 20+ points and even against contenders pushed teams to the limits. I remember an awful game against Indy this year where our starters got us down like 29 points. The bench got put in and made a HUGE run to nearly steal the game.

Clippers bench was amazing last year, and should be really good this year. But that loss of Bledsoe is really going to hurt it. It's obviously an understandable move, adding two starters for a bench player is always a plus, but his impact off the bench was ridiculous. Every time I watched the Clippers I felt his contribution was overlooked in favor of Crawford. His two way impact and hounding D was the heart and soul of that bench, IMO. I feel like his ability to just dismantle backup PGs on D was really the only reason the bench played strong D last season. Collison can never replace that impact, although he should be solid in his own right.

They should still be one of the top benches this season though, they made solid additions.

HOZ THE KNICK
08-16-2013, 01:50 PM
knicks, and no being a homer about it.

beno
jr
mwp
amare
kmart

Rockice_8
08-16-2013, 04:58 PM
Beno averaged 8.2 PPG and 4.6 APG in 22 MPG off the bench last year, but he's basically a scrub? In Orlando his minutes increased to 27 MPG and his averages climbed to 10.2 PPG and 6.1 APG to 2.0 TO after getting away from the ball hog duo in Milwaukee.

Martin averaged 5.8 PPG, 4.5 REB, 1.4 BLK and 0.8 STL with a .580 FG% in just 21 MPG in last years playoffs. That's washed up? That's scrub production from a backup big?

Then you list JASON TERRY, the definition of WASHED UP SCRUB. Last year he averaged 10.1 PPG and 2.5 APG in 27 MPG. He was a worse player than Beno Udrih last season, and at age 36 he isn't getting any better.

Blatche is a nice backup big, but Amare Stoudemire craps all over him. Even in his limited form in recovery last season he was able to average 14.2 PPG on a .577 FG% and .808 FT% in just 23.5 MPG. He was also able to put together incredibly efficient stretches as he started to get back into rhythm.

6 GP
17.3 PPG, 24.9 MPG, .729 FG%, .783 FT%, 9.8 FGA, 3.8 FTA

11 GP
17.0 PPG, 24.2 MPG, .660 FG%, .836 FT%, 9.4 FGA, 5.5 FTA

Amare scored 20 points in a game 6 times in his 29 games back, being limited in most of them.

Blatche scored 20 points in a game 6 times in 82 games last season.

In the role of good scoring big off the bench there is no comparison.

AK47 was a really good pick up, but how is MWP useless? Just more nonsense spewing from you.

Evans? Talk about a scrub. The only things he does at a good level is rebound and flop.

JR Smith - Reigning 6th Man of the Year
Amare
MWP/Bargnani - Whichever one doesn't start
Martin
Udrih
Prigioni

Yeah, that bench craps all over the Nets bench and it's two good players, one washed up scrub and a hustling flopper.

Horrible post by the way.

Udrih is a solid player and so is Terry. You don't have to put down one guy to make you point for another. They are both solid bench players. They both are pretty equal in terms of numbers so one can't be awesome while the other is washed up. That makes no sense. Terry is a excellent 3 pt shooter and is clutch. Nothing wrong with having him on the bench as a spot up guy when you have guys like AK and Blatche who can get him open looks.

Amare does not crap all over Blatche, that's just straight nonsense. Scoring 20ppg doesn't tell the whole story. I'll easily take the guy that will be there night in night out no question and that ain't Amare.

AK is miles better than MWP. It's not even 100% that MWP is an upgrade to Copeland. They do different things but I wouldn't call that a clear upgrade for the Knicks bench.

Evans is a scrub? Yet K-Mart is what a stud? Him and K-Mart aren't much different at this point in their careers. They both a limited offensively and aren't much of anything outside of a rebounder and a post defender.

The Knicks and Nets have the two best benches in my eyes. I just think AK is the best player on the bench for either team so they get the slight edge.

It's
Nets
Knicks
Pacers

then everyone else. If LAC can land Odom and he plays well then they can make it into the conversation but until then these three are easily the 3 best benches.

Captain Moroni
08-16-2013, 05:02 PM
I dont think anyone is worse defensively than Amare BTW

Novak

Captain Moroni
08-16-2013, 05:04 PM

Udrih is a solid player and so is Terry. You don't have to put down one guy to make you point for another. They are both solid bench players. They both are pretty equal in terms of numbers so one can't be awesome while the other is washed up. That makes no sense. Terry is a excellent 3 pt shooter and is clutch. Nothing wrong with having him on the bench as a spot up guy when you have guys like AK and Blatche who can get him open looks.

Amare does not crap all over Blatche, that's just straight nonsense. Scoring 20ppg doesn't tell the whole story. I'll easily take the guy that will be there night in night out no question and that ain't Amare.

AK is miles better than MWP. It's not even 100% that MWP is an upgrade to Copeland. They do different things but I wouldn't call that a clear upgrade for the Knicks bench.

Evans is a scrub? Yet K-Mart is what a stud? Him and K-Mart aren't much different at this point in their careers. They both a limited offensively and aren't much of anything outside of a rebounder and a post defender.

The Knicks and Nets have the two best benches in my eyes. I just think AK is the best player on the bench for either team so they get the slight edge.

It's
Nets
Knicks
Pacers

then everyone else. If LAC can land Odom and he plays well then they can make it into the conversation but until then these three are easily the 3 best benches.

Pretty solid arguments

Clippersfan86
08-16-2013, 05:51 PM
Haha yeah losing Bledsoe sucks but it was better to get something out of it via trade than let him walk. Pondexter has been improving every year so I expect him to get more mins from the aging prince.

And as far as Hollins you are on the money. He never agreed with the trade and never gave Ed Davis a chance to really contribute. Joeger wants Davis to be a big contributed this season and he gas been working out all summer, so I expect a break out season for him

Weird thing about his failure to play Davis is that Zbo isn't exactly young and injury free. Would of been smart to play Davis 15-20 min a game and rest the star bigs a bit more. I agree Davis should have a great year and should make a nice Zbo replacement after next year when he's a free agent. I doubt you guys are going to re-sign a 33-34 year old Zbo TBH.

Clippersfan86
08-16-2013, 05:52 PM
Clippers bench was amazing last year, and should be really good this year. But that loss of Bledsoe is really going to hurt it. It's obviously an understandable move, adding two starters for a bench player is always a plus, but his impact off the bench was ridiculous. Every time I watched the Clippers I felt his contribution was overlooked in favor of Crawford. His two way impact and hounding D was the heart and soul of that bench, IMO. I feel like his ability to just dismantle backup PGs on D was really the only reason the bench played strong D last season. Collison can never replace that impact, although he should be solid in his own right.

They should still be one of the top benches this season though, they made solid additions.

I agree that the loss of Bledsoe was HUGE. The only reason it wasn't full on devastating is because as you said we got two starters AND at least a SOLID backup PG. Collison didn't cut it as a starter but off the bench no doubt he's above average and a killer steal for his price. Bledsoe singlehandedly changed games like NBA stars do. Like you said he would come in and destroy other teams with his ball pressure and D.

elledaddy
08-16-2013, 05:56 PM
I forgot to answer. It would be " OTHER" as in DENVER

1.Andre Miller/Nate Robinson
2.Evan Fournier or Randy Foye/Eric Green
3.Wilson Chandler or Gallinari/ Jordan Hamilton
4.Faried or JJ Hickson/Darnell Arthur/Anthony Randolph
5. Mozgov or McGee

That could really be a legit NBA team with a 9 man rotation

Again, to quote my own post Denver has the best bench. Better than my Knicks, better than the Nets,Clips,Grizz,Warriors and whoever else.

Clippersfan86
08-16-2013, 05:58 PM
Again, to quote my own post Denver has the best bench. Better than my Knicks, better than the Nets,Clips,Grizz,Warriors and whoever else.

Are these games being played on paper or in terms of production? All the hype for Denver's bench last year too as being easily the best and the Clippers crushed them. Being 3 deep at every position doesn't really matter because you're not going to play every guy many minutes. But yes Denver should be in the discussion again. Don't state it so definitively though, especially when they lost COTY, EOTY and some pieces. They now have a rookie coach who likely won't use the talent nearly as effectively as Karl did.

FOXHOUND
08-16-2013, 06:03 PM

It's
Nets
Knicks
Pacers

Right, you should probably read the post I was responding to.

First off I never said Udrih was awesome, don't know where you pulled that out of. My response of comparing Udrih's better production in Orlando to what Terry did last year was in response to the other poster calling him a scrub, and then going on to list Terry as if he was still in 6MoTY form. But yeah, Terry is washed up. For most of the year he played horrible and at this point is nothing but a spot up jump shooter for the most part. He can't get to the rim, his passing is just solid at SG, he's an awful rebounder at SG and his defense is atrocious. He can definitely nail some threes and can hit some clutch shots, but he's no longer anything close to a shot creator. Beno can still create shots, can run an offense, plays nice D and can play at a good level in the PnR.

He's easily better, don't see how 10 PPG and 6 APG and 10 PPG and 2.5 APG is similar production, as you put it. After getting traded to Orlando where he was allowed to use his skills he got back to a good level of playing. He had a 4 game stretch where he averaged 19.5 PPG, 8.3 APG, 4.0 REB, 1.8 STL and 2.8 TO on a .475/.625/.909 shooting line taking 4 3's a game. You can't find any stretch last year where Terry was able to make that kind of consistent production, even over just 4 games. He simply isn't that good anymore, he's going to be 35-years old by the season starts and that's never good for an undersized non-athletic SG.

If Blatche wasn't primarily a scorer I would agree that scoring alone isn't the whole story. Being that both Amare and Blatche are mainly scorers, and that Amare is a better scorer now in limitation than Blatche will ever be, then yeah I'm going to say he craps all over him. Amare will be on a minute restrictions and will most likely not play back-to-backs, which at max would give him 67 games I believe. Last two times Amare got his knee/s cleaned out and rested in the offseason he played 82 games the next season. Amare is going to be playing, he's just going to be limited to 20 MPG to ensure his health. Amare would score more total points in 67 GP playing 20 MPG than Blatche would in 82 GP playing 20 MPG. He would have to average 12.5 PPG in 67 games to amass the 843 points Blatche put up in his 82 last season. That's easy as pie for Amare.

Yeah, AK47 is better than MWP at this point in their careers. I definitely agree with you there. Is he miles better? I don't know if I would say that, but I had nothing negative to say about AK47 anyways. That was a great pickup.

Yeah, Evans is a scrub. He's a great rebounder and hustle player, but that's about it. His form of "post defense" is just flopping around like a fish. Kenyon Martin is far more than a hustling rebounder who's just a body on defense, even at this stage in his career. He's still capable of playing very strong defense and making a team wide impact on D. Martin is a stud, compared to Evans.

You think AK47 is the best bench player on either team. You also conveniently left out the reigning 6th Man of the Year in your entire post.

MrfadeawayJB
08-16-2013, 10:28 PM

Weird thing about his failure to play Davis is that Zbo isn't exactly young and injury free. Would of been smart to play Davis 15-20 min a game and rest the star bigs a bit more. I agree Davis should have a great year and should make a nice Zbo replacement after next year when he's a free agent. I doubt you guys are going to re-sign a 33-34 year old Zbo TBH.

Yeah we should see ZBO mins down and eds up. Memphis would love ZBO back when his contract is up, and I feel it's mutual. It would have to be around the mid level IMO for it to happen though

nycericanguy
08-16-2013, 10:59 PM

Ehh, I liked their bench better last year.

Faried is def starting, so their bench is basically

Miller
Fourner/Foye
Chandler
Hickson
Mozzy

Mozzy has been a 3rd string center, & fournier is unproven. Foye is ok.

I think

Beno/Prigs
JR
MWP
Amare
Kmart

Is better...there is a good mix of defense and offense, 2 guys that can score 20 on any given night.

5ass
08-16-2013, 11:29 PM
Ehh, I liked their bench better last year.

Faried is def starting, so their bench is basically

Miller
Fourner/Foye
Chandler
Hickson
Mozzy

Mozzy has been a 3rd string center, & fournier is unproven. Foye is ok.

I think

Beno/Prigs
JR
MWP
Amare
Kmart

Is better...there is a good mix of defense and offense, 2 guys that can score 20 on any given night.

I dont know Fournier looked promising last season.

mrblisterdundee
08-17-2013, 12:08 AM
I think this one goes to the Nuggets:
PG - Andre Miller, Nate Robinson
SG - Randy Foye, Quincy Miller
SF - Wilson Chandler, Jordan Hamilton
PF - Darrell Arthur, Anthony Randolph
C - J.J. Hickson, Timofey Mozgov

TheMightyHumph
08-17-2013, 12:18 AM
Who do you guys think has the best bench ?

Nets - Livingston , Terry , Kirilenko , Evans , Blatche

Knicks - Udrih , Jr Smith , MWP , Bargnani , Stoudemire/Martin .(idk their starting line-up yet)

Other

I only mentioned the guys who will play more and can be contributors come playoff time .

For Nets, It's a totally new regular season with a unique coach.

Can't tell what the rotation will be by the end of the season.

dalton749
08-17-2013, 12:28 AM
Yeah we should see ZBO mins down and eds up. Memphis would love ZBO back when his contract is up, and I feel it's mutual. It would have to be around the mid level IMO for it to happen though

After next year I don't think they will need zbo. Ed Davis will be capable of giving the same production IMO

I hate that we gave him up in the Rudy trade the guy is the next jermaine oneal

MrfadeawayJB
08-17-2013, 12:39 AM

After next year I don't think they will need zbo. Ed Davis will be capable of giving the same production IMO

I hate that we gave him up in the Rudy trade the guy is the next jermaine oneal

Hopefully he shows enough flashes. I think he has a bright future.

dalton749
08-17-2013, 12:44 AM
Hopefully he shows enough flashes. I think he has a bright future.

Wish we stuck with Ed and went for wiggins, with valanciunas and them 2 it's over

nycericanguy
08-17-2013, 10:17 AM
I dont know Fournier looked promising last season.

He did, I think he'll be a good player, but he's also still just 20. And I'm always leary of guys that put up big numbers the last few weeks when a lot of teams aren't really playing for anything anymore.