PDA

View Full Version : Who had the better surrounding cast?

ztilzer31
08-07-2013, 08:27 PM
Lebron in 09-10 or Kobe now?

Discuss.

ManRam
08-07-2013, 08:36 PM
Kobe has more offensive help...

but the Lakers might be the worst defensive team in the league, so I give the edge to LeBron's Cavs. Those Cavs teams had little to nothing offensively for most of his later years there, but they played great defense and that can't be understated. Kobe doesn't help with that, since he's no a considerably below-average defender, but he's not the reason they're gonna be terrible defensively...not at all.

Hawkeye15
08-07-2013, 08:39 PM
even and aged Pau is better than anything LeBron played with in Cleveland, and while Nash is 40, if he can stay relatively healthy, again, as good as anything Bron played with in Cleveland. But after those two top heavy guys, the Lakers squad is worse this year. They have no bench, and awful defense this season.

WadeKobe
08-07-2013, 08:44 PM
the Lakers are awful this year. LeBron's Cleveland teams weren't bad, they just weren't as talented as the Celtics and caught some tough, bad bounces against the Magic.

seikou8
08-07-2013, 08:47 PM
even and aged Pau is better than anything LeBron played with in Cleveland, and while Nash is 40, if he can stay relatively healthy, again, as good as anything Bron played with in Cleveland. But after those two top heavy guys, the Lakers squad is worse this year. They have no bench, and awful defense this season.

this nailed it

D-Leethal
08-07-2013, 08:48 PM
Lakers have more talent, Cavs had a much better defense and Lebron had his supporting cast built around him much better. The pieces might have been as good, but they fit a lot better than the majority of Kobe's do.

tredigs
08-07-2013, 08:48 PM

I think Anderson V goes pretty unheralded for how good he was defensively in the post. I mean this year before he went down he was up there in the short list as best center in the NBA. Too bad he always goes down.

Pau's not that old though - 32 for a finesse big like him should still be prime. And yeah, definitely a stud who will thrive again without Dwight.

Hawkeye15
08-07-2013, 08:59 PM
I think Anderson V goes pretty unheralded for how good he was defensively in the post. I mean this year before he went down he was up there in the short list as best center in the NBA. Too bad he always goes down.

Pau's not that old though - 32 for a finesse big like him should still be prime. And yeah, definitely a stud who will thrive again without Dwight.

Anderson just goes down so easily.

tredigs
08-07-2013, 09:02 PM
Anderson just goes down so easily.

1 short of a complete season in the last 3 years combined. It's sad. Last full season was actually that 09/10 year.

JerseyPalahniuk
08-07-2013, 09:28 PM

Varejao wasn't nearly the same player in 09-10 (four years ago) as he was last season though.

D-Leethal
08-07-2013, 09:34 PM
Andy V put up monster numbers last year but his ability to impact a game with his D, hustle and intangibles has always been severely underrated the same way Noah's was up until a year or 2 ago (and probably still is).

tredigs
08-07-2013, 09:34 PM
Varejao wasn't nearly the same player in 09-10 (four years ago) as he was last season though.

No no doubt. But even then I think his impact was greater than his box score. He was already such a smart post defender and played like he was on crack... in a good way. Basically holding down the only thing Lebron couldn't do for them.

ztilzer31
08-08-2013, 12:17 AM

I think this is true. Even though the Lakers have more star power on offense they have a chance of having the worst defense in the NBA this year.

However let's not forget how bad the Cavs were the following season.

amos1er
08-08-2013, 12:19 AM
When you factor in the weak east, it's easily Lebron. If they were both in the west, I would say Kobe.

ztilzer31
08-08-2013, 01:44 AM
Varejao was solid back then, but he wasn't anything more than a role player...

More-Than-Most
08-08-2013, 02:02 AM

This.... Its close though but that cleveland team was terrible

TrueFan420
08-08-2013, 02:05 AM
Lebron had a team built to him perfectly minus the second scorer. The lakers have more talent but the pieces just don't fit.

LegendsNvrDie23
08-08-2013, 02:06 AM
Lebron in 09-10 or Kobe now?

Discuss.

The cavs as a "team" had the best record in the league and were the favorites to win it all. Lebron had plenty of help during that time. Super teams didn't exist yet.

LegendsNvrDie23
08-08-2013, 02:07 AM
the Lakers are awful this year. LeBron's Cleveland teams weren't bad, they just weren't as talented as the Celtics and caught some tough, bad bounces against the Magic.

This.

More-Than-Most
08-08-2013, 02:09 AM
The cavs as a "team" had the best record in the league and were the favorites to win it all. Lebron had plenty of help during that time. Super teams didn't exist yet.

They had the best record because James is really that good... Who did that cavs team have?

Bostonjorge
08-08-2013, 03:06 AM
Lakers would beat that Cleveland team.