PDA

View Full Version : Who has the better chance of making the playoffs: Dallas or Los Angeles?

cmellofan15
08-07-2013, 05:20 PM
The offseason is coming to an end an there are probably no more major moves to be made for these veteran squads. So the question stands, after Dallas has made some questionable acquisitions in Ellis and Calderon and the Lakers have lost Dwight and MWP and picked up Nick Young, who do you think is in better shape to make the playoffs?

OlivaThor
08-07-2013, 05:49 PM
Who cares both are done :nod:

Chacarron
08-07-2013, 05:54 PM
Dallas cus Monta >>>>>>> Colby

Vino.

TrueFan420
08-07-2013, 05:58 PM
One can a mode add a poll.

Two Dallas if dirks healthy all year. Kobe's out/ won't walk seamlessly into the season, Nash and gasol another year older.

tredigs
08-07-2013, 06:05 PM
I honestly think the Lakers will have the leagues worst defense and finish in the bottom 10 overall. If Vegas has them >44 wins I will be making the largest bet of my life.

Dallas is a tough one because we don't know what we'll get from Dirk, but I think they miss by ~3-6 games.

WadeKobe
08-07-2013, 06:08 PM
Calderon was an excellent addition. Mavs will be better, but I don't see either making it.

SanAntonioSpurs23
08-07-2013, 06:11 PM
I'm going to go with the Mavs. Although counting out Kirby is never a good idea

tredigs
08-07-2013, 06:11 PM
Calderon was an excellent addition. Mavs will be better, but I don't see either making it.

My worry there would be how much Monta will relinquish ball handling duties. If experience serves, he will look to dominate too often and suffocate their ball movement. Monta/Jarret Jack effect.

L8kers4life
08-07-2013, 06:30 PM
I honestly think the Lakers will have the leagues worst defense and finish in the bottom 10 overall. If Vegas has them >44 wins I will be making the largest bet of my life.

Dallas is a tough one because we don't know what we'll get from Dirk, but I think they miss by ~3-6 games.

I will take your bet all day, I will gladly bet you 100 the lakers will finish with more than 44 wins. I'm ready to bet, just let me know.

tredigs
08-07-2013, 06:32 PM
I will take your bet all day, I will gladly bet you 100 the lakers will finish with more than 44 wins. I'm ready to bet, just let me know.

We'll see how the odds come out, but I'm not going to bother betting someone who I can't guarantee will pay. No offense, just don't know you. Plus I'll be betting a **** load more than that. Unfortunately, I don't think Vegas is dumb enough to put them at 45+. You guys are going to suck this year man, the defense is just non-existent on the wings or the paint.

Bostonjorge
08-07-2013, 06:33 PM
If kobe, Nash and gasol play all year or %90 then they will be a lock to make the playoffs. Lakers had there worst season ever and still made the playoffs last year.

L8kers4life
08-07-2013, 06:36 PM
One can a mode add a poll.

Two Dallas if dirks healthy all year. Kobe's out/ won't walk seamlessly into the season, Nash and gasol another year older.

What are you talking about, Kobe is already lifting and running and will be fine at the begining of the season, all reports suggest this. Gasol is 33 not 40, he is in many ways like Tim Duncan, not as good, but with a bigger role this year, Pau will have a great year. As for Nash, he is old as Dirt, but expecting him to strugglle like last year is a reach, and we have Farmar to help penetrate and get some good looks at the basket. Nick Young, Kaman, Wesley Johnson, Farmar and probably Odom, really will help the depth, the lakers will be better than most think.. The Lakers have missed the playoffs 3 times since they have been in LA, hoping that a Team with Kobe, PAU and Nash will miss the playoffs is wishfull thinking.

L8kers4life
08-07-2013, 06:38 PM
If kobe, Nash and gasol play all year or %90 then they will be a lock to make the playoffs. Lakers had there worst season ever and still made the playoffs last year.

this is the first time someone besides a Laker fan has suggested this, I agree 100%.. :clap:

L8kers4life
08-07-2013, 06:43 PM
We'll see how the odds come out, but I'm not going to bother betting someone who I can't guarantee will pay. No offense, just don't know you. Plus I'll be betting a **** load more than that. Unfortunately, I don't think Vegas is dumb enough to put them at 45+. You guys are going to suck this year man, the defense is just non-existent on the wings or the paint.

Ok Bud, well hope you don't lose too much money, that is a dumb bet for you, last year was one of the worst year the lakers have had, but losing Dwight and Metta, will help this team. Metta jacked up crazy shots, Dwight *****ed all year, turned the ball over at a very high rate and could not hit a free throw to save his life, the chemistry suffered and the lakers really sucked, but they were still the 7th seed. Oh and we fired our head coach at the begining of the year, had no training camp with Antoni (sorry he doesnt deserve a D in his name) and our starters and main bench players missed over 120 games. Stay away from that bet... #Count on Kobe

tredigs
08-07-2013, 06:46 PM
The ol' bounce back year at age 40 for Nash ay, L8ers4life? And losing your two best defenders was the best thing for your team. Roger. Not coming off homerish at all. Promise.

I'll put an extra bill on that bet, just for you.

All-In
08-07-2013, 07:03 PM
What are you talking about, Kobe is already lifting and running and will be fine at the begining of the season, all reports suggest this. Gasol is 33 not 40, he is in many ways like Tim Duncan, not as good, but with a bigger role this year, Pau will have a great year. As for Nash, he is old as Dirt, but expecting him to strugglle like last year is a reach, and we have Farmar to help penetrate and get some good looks at the basket. Nick Young, Kaman, Wesley Johnson, Farmar and probably Odom, really will help the depth, the lakers will be better than most think.. The Lakers have missed the playoffs 3 times since they have been in LA, hoping that a Team with Kobe, PAU and Nash will miss the playoffs is wishfull thinking.

lol thats funny...we got nick young and wesley johnson and Kaman and Farmar....lol depth??? Listen the lakers might make the playoffs but who cares they wont contend for a title this year and thats what really matters....have a good time chasing the 7th seed...and depending on kobes health I'd give the edge to the mavs

showtym24
08-07-2013, 07:22 PM
I cant wait for all you to the eat crow. That is all.

TrueFan420
08-07-2013, 07:31 PM
My worry there would be how much Monta will relinquish ball handling duties. If experience serves, he will look to dominate too often and suffocate their ball movement. Monta/Jarret Jack effect.

He gave it up with baron tho. And with dork the clear cut best player I think he falls in line.

3RDASYSTEM
08-07-2013, 07:35 PM

up the bet to like 5k and i'll drop it like its no tomorrow

did you not see them last year? with all that help at the end from refs,? wait nevermind bets off they cheat by all means necessary year in and out since like 70's and even earlier with MIKAN and his 5 rings coming to la

no deal,not even for a c-note

Zefflin
08-07-2013, 07:50 PM
who do you think is in better shape to make the playoffs?

hahahah La man, La

Shows you the strength of the West compared to the East like anyone with a real basketball iq has always noticed for the past decade...dallas (if healthy) would make the playoffs easily in the east...

WadeKobe
08-07-2013, 07:53 PM

Well, that is part of why I don't have them in the playoffs. lol.

L8kers4life
08-07-2013, 08:01 PM

did you not see them last year? with all that help at the end from refs,? wait nevermind bets off they cheat by all means necessary year in and out since like 70's and even earlier with MIKAN and his 5 rings coming to la

So the refs are the reason the lakers have so many championships.. I would gladly bet you 5k..:mad:

tredigs
08-07-2013, 08:02 PM
He gave it up with baron tho. And with dork the clear cut best player I think he falls in line.

Baron was a PG though, and he was clearly the dominant player to young Monta. Plus Dirk's older, I don't fully trust Monta to take the back seat. Calderon's a REALLY smart offensive point and they'll be good if they give him reigns to be the playmaker, but it's tough to imagine Monta to gear it back to his 08/09 role for me. I'll definitely be watching them a lot to check that out.

L8kers4life
08-07-2013, 08:03 PM
lol thats funny...we got nick young and wesley johnson and Kaman and Farmar....lol depth??? Listen the lakers might make the playoffs but who cares they wont contend for a title this year and thats what really matters....have a good time chasing the 7th seed...and depending on kobes health I'd give the edge to the mavs

Nick Young, Jordan Hill, Steve Blake, Wesley Johnson, Lamar Odom and Jordan Farmar is not a horrible bench.

rockets-fan
08-07-2013, 08:05 PM
Dallas, LA is gunna end up the ninth seed tho tanking would be the better option.

rockets-fan
08-07-2013, 08:05 PM
Nick Young, Jordan Hill, Steve Blake, Wesley Johnson, Lamar Odom and Jordan Farmar is not a horrible bench.

There's a reason most teams weren't looking to acquire those players...

tredigs
08-07-2013, 08:08 PM
Just remembered I did make one PSD $ bet - with "Kozelkid". It was after Lebron got traded and he was among a large group of people that still thought the Cavs would still be a lower playoff seed without him. I said they'd be >8 games behind the 8 seed which they ended up easily being. He did pay, which was impressive.

Kobe's going to hate Nick Young by the way. Nick literally catches and immediately shoots 90% of the time.

L8kers4life
08-07-2013, 08:13 PM
The ol' bounce back year at age 40 for Nash ay, L8ers4life? And losing your two best defenders was the best thing for your team. Roger. Not coming off homerish at all. Promise.

I'll put an extra bill on that bet, just for you.

Dude, you obviously dont watch the lakers. Metta is a good on ball defender, but off the ball he has lost a step and he takes horrible shots. As far as Dwight, you definitely did not see the lakers play last year, chemistry means a lot in this league, when you have a Center refusing to run the pick and roll in a pick and roll offense you will have troubles. Pau playing center, :cool: will put up almost identical numbers as dwight last year, except maybe 1 rebound and a block. But offensively, ball movement, spacing and tempo will all be better this year. Plus, Jordan Hill and Wes Johnson will be adequate on Defense. With Dantoni style of offense, the lakers can win plenty of games, we brought in Rambis to fix some of the defensive issues, I have confidence he can impact our team defense. Also Farmar and Blake can do a lot better staying in front of the ball, the defense will be fine, it was atrocious last year and a lot of that was from chemistry as well. This team last year was not on the same page. I will bet you 500, put your money where your mouth is buddy, cuz I'm ready when you are...:)

Zefflin
08-07-2013, 08:15 PM
Just remembered I did make one PSD $ bet - with "Kozelkid". It was after Lebron got traded and he was among a large group of people that still thought the Cavs would still be a lower playoff seed without him. I said they'd be >8 games behind the 8 seed which they ended up easily being. He did pay, which was impressive.

Kobe's going to hate Nick Young by the way. Nick literally catches and immediately shoots 90% of the time.

haha, which will be the only time when he passes to him then...this'll be fun to see if young will listen to his childhood idol. I just want them to work together, this whole damn team of LA outcasts

L8kers4life
08-07-2013, 08:16 PM

Kobe does not have a problem with people shooting, he never complains about that he will get his regardless; When have you heard Kobe complain about someone shooting too much. Your confusing Kobe with Dwight, it will be funny to watch the circus in Houston this year. Dwight has issues, when Harden shoots 44% this year, trust me you will here several times, we need to go inside out and get me more involved, this is what Dwight does

tredigs
08-07-2013, 08:21 PM
Dude, you obviously dont watch the lakers. Metta is a good on ball defender, but off the ball he has lost a step and he takes horrible shots. As far as Dwight, you definitely did not see the lakers play last year, chemistry means a lot in this league, when you have a Center refusing to run the pick and roll in a pick and roll offense you will have troubles. Pau playing center, :cool: will put up almost identical numbers as dwight last year, except maybe 1 rebound and a block. But offensively, ball movement, spacing and tempo will all be better this year. Plus, Jordan Hill and Wes Johnson will be adequate on Defense. With Dantoni style of offense, the lakers can win plenty of games, we brought in Rambis to fix some of the defensive issues, I have confidence he can impact our team defense. Also Farmar and Blake can do a lot better staying in front of the ball, the defense will be fine, it was atrocious last year and a lot of that was from chemistry as well. This team last year was not on the same page. I will bet you 500, put your money where your mouth is buddy, cuz I'm ready when you are...:)

500 on what exactly? That they make the playoffs? If so, if you can find a 3rd party legit company to hold the funds and guarantee the bet I will absolutely take you up on it. If not - depending on their line - I will do you the favor of uploading a picture of my bet ticket on the under for them as my sig for the season.

Kobe does not have a problem with people shooting, he never complains about that he will get his regardless; When have you heard Kobe complain about someone shooting too much. Your confusing Kobe with Dwight, it will be funny to watch the circus in Houston this year. Dwight has issues, when Harden shoots 44% this year, trust me you will here several times, we need to go inside out and get me more involved, this is what Dwight does

Haha I did see him *****ing at Jodie Meeks a few times. Who is Nick Young lite.

L8kers4life
08-07-2013, 08:23 PM
There's a reason most teams weren't looking to acquire those players...

I love rockets fan, like the Rockets wouldn't want Nick Young or Jordan Hill or Wes Johnson right now, your bench is atrocious and is one of the main reasons why no one really considers the Rockets a threat for the title yet. Just because people take pay cuts to play with the lakers does not mean teams did not want these players. Minimum contracts are usually signed at the end of free agency, yet these players signed after the first week. These guys wanted to be lakers, Wes and Nick both had options to get paid more and Jordan Farmar left his Contract with 8 million left to be a Laker. We got Kaman for 3 million, you dont think Miami or GSW or other teams couldnt use 10 points 6 reb in 23 minutes off the bench.. It means something to be a Laker, regardless of what people think on here..

TrueFan420
08-07-2013, 08:24 PM
Baron was a PG though, and he was clearly the dominant player to young Monta. Plus Dirk's older, I don't fully trust Monta to take the back seat. Calderon's a REALLY smart offensive point and they'll be good if they give him reigns to be the playmaker, but it's tough to imagine Monta to gear it back to his 08/09 role for me. I'll definitely be watching them a lot to check that out.
True it was the a vet to a young monta. Dirk is older but when healthy last year showed he could still ball. I'm sure monta has respect for his game. The big thing is does he have respect for calderons game. I don't fully trust monta to take the back seat either but I think after his whole contract thing it brought him down a peg. He will defer to dirk... Calderon is a different case. I will be def be watching as well cause if he can go back to being less ball dominant and dalembert can play good d that Dallas team could not only make the playoffs but maybe even upset a team depending on the match up.

L8kers4life
08-07-2013, 08:27 PM
500 on what exactly? That they make the playoffs? If so, if you can find a 3rd party legit company to hold the funds and guarantee the bet I will absolutely take you up on it. If not - depending on their line - I will do you the favor of uploading a picture of the my bet ticket on the under for them as my sig for the season.

Man Dwight said Steve Nash was a bad teammate and Kobe needed to be amnestied. R u kidding me, Dwight is a Cancer. I will bet you however you like, you tell me what to do, and I will do it. And yes, the lakers will make the playoffs. earlier you said >44 wins I will take that bet as well.

L8kers4life
08-07-2013, 08:28 PM
500 on what exactly? That they make the playoffs? If so, if you can find a 3rd party legit company to hold the funds and guarantee the bet I will absolutely take you up on it. If not - depending on their line - I will do you the favor of uploading a picture of the my bet ticket on the under for them as my sig for the season.

I did see him yell at Meeeks though, he had every right to yell at Meeks, that guy is a bum.

ztilzer31
08-07-2013, 08:31 PM
Bet anything this guy leaves PSD forever once the Lakers don't make the playoffs.

tredigs
08-07-2013, 08:31 PM
Man Dwight said Steve Nash was a bad teammate and Kobe needed to be amnestied. R u kidding me, Dwight is a Cancer. I will bet you however you like, you tell me what to do, and I will do it. And yes, the lakers will make the playoffs. earlier you said >44 wins I will take that bet as well.

I cannot stand Dwight, but you weren't making the playoffs with Chris Kaman in his place, sorry. Anyway, I'll do some research on that, and if one of you guys out here can PM me if you have any ideas that'd be appreciated. I'll PM you when I figure it out L8kers.

L8kers4life
08-07-2013, 08:44 PM
I cannot stand Dwight, but you weren't making the playoffs with Chris Kaman in his place, sorry. Anyway, I'll do some research on that, and if one of you guys out here can PM me if you have any ideas that'd be appreciated. I'll PM you when I figure it out L8kers.

Sounds good, and ztilzer31, I wont be leaving PSD if I lose a bet, a bet is a bet, I'm willing to take whatever is dished my way if they dont make it, but when they do, I hope to see everyone dissing every laker fan or calling laker fan Homers because laker fan believes any team with Kobe, Nash and Pau will make the playoffs to eat there words. I will take any bet regarding the Lakers making the playoffs, in 60 some odd years they have missed the playoffs 4 times, I will take those odds, I'm a gambling man.

L8kers4life
08-07-2013, 08:48 PM

Not that I dont agree with you but, Dwight not being there who knows what would have happened. The issues last year had more to do with Coaching and Injuries and both of those scenarios may have been different had Dwight not been there. Sorry, the Lakers have done just fine with out Dwight, in the last 13 years alone the Lakers have been to the finals 7 times and won the Championship 5 times, the Lakers would have been better off without the cancer. Seriously, the dude wanted Kobe amnestied, give me a break, who the hell does Dwight think he is.

tredigs
08-07-2013, 08:51 PM
Not that I dont agree with you but, Dwight not being there who knows what would have happened. The issues last year had more to do with Coaching and Injuries and both of those scenarios may have been different had Dwight not been there. Sorry, the Lakers have done just fine with out Dwight, in the last 13 years alone the Lakers have been to the finals 7 times and won the Championship 5 times, the Lakers would have been better off without the cancer. Seriously, the dude wanted Kobe amnestied, give me a break, who the hell does Dwight think he is.

We can agree that we both cannot stand Dwight and think he's a cancer, haha. But ****, he's still good - we saw that in the 2nd half.

L8kers4life
08-07-2013, 08:58 PM
We can agree that we both cannot stand Dwight and think he's a cancer, haha. But ****, he's still good - we saw that in the 2nd half.

No doubt, he is a baller, he just needs to be catered too.

RollingWave
08-07-2013, 08:58 PM
They're both in the same boat of teams that have high end offensive talent but major questions in defense / depth / health .

I'd say the odds of either making it isn't great, probably a 20-30% shot, mostly hinging on health, aka they need to be healthier than a bunch of younger teams ahead of them.

between them... well that's a tough call, it's mostly a medical one which looks worse for LA right now (not just Kobe, it's also that Nash missed nearly half the season last year. and Gasol also missed a lot of time.)

There is also that the Laker's coach probably amplify their problem even more, as in, MDA has a terrible reputation for coaching defense, and your not going to win anything if you can't defend at all.

rockets-fan
08-07-2013, 11:12 PM
I love rockets fan, like the Rockets wouldn't want Nick Young or Jordan Hill or Wes Johnson right now, your bench is atrocious and is one of the main reasons why no one really considers the Rockets a threat for the title yet. Just because people take pay cuts to play with the lakers does not mean teams did not want these players. Minimum contracts are usually signed at the end of free agency, yet these players signed after the first week. These guys wanted to be lakers, Wes and Nick both had options to get paid more and Jordan Farmar left his Contract with 8 million left to be a Laker. We got Kaman for 3 million, you dont think Miami or GSW or other teams couldnt use 10 points 6 reb in 23 minutes off the bench.. It means something to be a Laker, regardless of what people think on here..

The lakers acquired a bunch of scrubs outside of Kaman who isn't going to be much help anyways...Jordan hill is ok, but young?Farmar?Johnson? They're weak.

Never said the Rockets bench wasn't bad, because it is. But Asik is better than anyone on the Lakers bench, and brooks and Garcia are shar shooters. Other than that our bench sucks but the lakers bench isn't something to gloat about, maybe on 2k...

MrfadeawayJB
08-07-2013, 11:20 PM
I'd go with Dallas. They have much better depth

Bostonjorge
08-08-2013, 03:26 AM
Lakers were hurt all year and Howard was the one leading the lakers against the spurs in the worst beating ever in the playoffs. Howard hurt the lakers really bad and now he's gone so kobe can now lead his team again. Kobe led teams always contend.

dalton749
08-08-2013, 04:15 AM
Kobe led teams always contend.

No they don't

Zefflin
08-08-2013, 04:20 AM
Yeah Kobes not the player of the decade or anything...oh wait he is so you're obviously a clueless dalton.

carlthack
08-08-2013, 04:37 AM
Lakers.

dalton749
08-08-2013, 04:46 AM
THE decade? You mean this current decade? Which is so clearly lebrons

If he was always contending he wouldn't have demanded a trade...

Guppyfighter
08-08-2013, 04:55 AM
Mavs defense is going to be bottom 25 team this year and a top 14 offense. So, probably like 34 wins.

Lakers will probably be around a top 9 offense and a bottom 26 defense. 38 wins.

Margin of Error +- 5 games

waveycrockett
08-08-2013, 04:57 AM
I honestly think Dirk is going to be forcing his way out of Dallas come Christmas time. There is no way he is happy about playing next to Monta Ellis. Ellis had issues with both Curry and Jennings I dont see it working out with Calderon either. Cuban will have to blow that thing up. The Lakers still have Gasol and Kobe who both still have GREAT chemistry and could presumably be top-5 at their positions still if they come back Healthy. Nash will be the X-Factor. If he can stay healthy and perform the way he did 2 years go they will have a great shot. D12 will be addition by subtraction now that the Cancer is gone. They have a better shot.

dalton749
08-08-2013, 05:13 AM
Dwight Howard will never be an addition by subtraction. That saying is saved for guys like bargnani.
If he is cancer, Kobe is aids

Lakers + Giants
08-08-2013, 05:27 AM
hopefully dallas.

#1 pick baby!

ztilzer31
08-08-2013, 12:07 PM
Lakers were hurt all year and Howard was the one leading the lakers against the spurs in the worst beating ever in the playoffs. Howard hurt the lakers really bad and now he's gone so kobe can now lead his team again. Kobe led teams always contend.

Not true.

Hellcrooner
08-08-2013, 12:16 PM

:rolleyes: :facepalm:

b@llhog24
08-08-2013, 12:28 PM
Mavericks.

todu82
08-08-2013, 12:30 PM
Dallas though no one should ever count out the Lakers.