PDA

View Full Version : Can the Pacers finally take the leap to beat the Heat?

BoomBaby44
08-07-2013, 12:00 AM
The Pacers get Granger back in their starting line-up, which moves a starter back to the bench (Lance Stevenson possible sixth man candidate). They resigned D West. They have added depth to their bench with scola, copeland, and watson. With Paul George coming into his second year as Indy's main scoring threat and the breakout performance Hibbert had in the playoffs, the Pacers are primed to take the next step to the NBA Championship! Look at the history in 2011-2012 the lost to the heat in 6 in the eastern semis. In 2012-13 we took them to seven games in the ECF. This looks like a natural progression with a team that has been built around a team dynamic not an individual player.

Zefflin
08-07-2013, 12:07 AM
I knew the pacers (like the thunder) were going to be elite good years before they were elite good. The pacers are the 2nd best TEAM in the nba, I can't wait for next season, most exciting season yet!

Btw a throw away Laker season (our next season) is still a playoff seed in the West...haha amazing, go lakers and pacers.

RiceOnTheRun
08-07-2013, 12:09 AM
I think the Pacers have the best chance of beating the Heat. Not to say that they're the second best in the NBA, but they match up very well against the Heat.

bucketss
08-07-2013, 12:10 AM
I knew the pacers (like the thunder) were going to be elite good years before they were elite good. The pacers are the 2nd best TEAM in the nba, I can't wait for next season, most exciting season yet!

Btw a throw away Laker season (our next season) is still a playoff seed in the West...haha amazing, go lakers and pacers.

you predicted a team with young guys who have star potential( one of which avg 20 ppg as a rookie) would eventually become elite??? wow, dude you're a prophet.

TrueFan420
08-07-2013, 12:11 AM
Yea I seriously doubt that, if the refs didnt go into overdrive for you last year you guys wouldnt have squeeked in. This year def not happening.

Slug3
08-07-2013, 12:12 AM
Hi beet killed Miami. Miami has to hope Oden can stay healthy and at least slow him down some. If that happens thn Miami would win. If Miami has no answer for Hibbert again it could very well be different.

TrueFan420
08-07-2013, 12:13 AM
The Pacers get Granger back in their starting line-up, which moves a starter back to the bench (Lance Stevenson possible sixth man candidate). They resigned D West. They have added depth to their bench with scola, copeland, and watson. With Paul George coming into his second year as Indy's main scoring threat and the breakout performance Hibbert had in the playoffs, the Pacers are primed to take the next step to the NBA Championship! Look at the history in 2011-2012 the lost to the heat in 6 in the eastern semis. In 2012-13 we took them to seven games in the ECF. This looks like a natural progression with a team that has been built around a team dynamic not an individual player.id love to see that can't help but wanna see them do well. I see granger off the bench or traded. They really do match up so well. Hibbert needs to expand his post game too.

Zefflin
08-07-2013, 12:14 AM
if the refs didnt go into overdrive for you last year you guys wouldnt have squeeked in..

Haha, don't get me started on the refs and the Miami (c)Heat

Zefflin
08-07-2013, 12:16 AM
wow, dude you're a prophet.

Thank you but please hold your praises my friendly buckets.

if the refs didnt go into overdrive for you last year you guys wouldnt have squeeked in..

Zefflin
08-07-2013, 12:16 AM
Sorry about that trip post bs everyone. Cpu froze.

TrueFan420
08-07-2013, 12:23 AM

The heat get hella love too. It's BS call the game the same for everyone. The warrior laker game (where Kobe got hurt) was just criminally reffed. I haven't seen something so bad since wade vs Dallas finals or lakers sactown tragedy.

MrfadeawayJB
08-07-2013, 12:28 AM
I think they could. Health is a main concern, but I think Miami will regress this year with only LeBron maintaining this level if play

Clippersfan86
08-07-2013, 01:48 AM
you predicted a team with young guys who have star potential( one of which avg 20 ppg as a rookie) would eventually become elite??? wow, dude you're a prophet.

Did you know in 3 years Paul George has come nowhere close to 20 ppg? Surprised nobody else caught this but George put up less than 8 ppg as a rookie. :eyebrow:

Clippersfan86
08-07-2013, 01:49 AM
As for the topic Indiana matchup wise has been a real thorn in the Heat's side and of course they COULD beat them. It's been a 7 game series the last two years and Indiana got a lot better this summer than the Heat did. So if I'm Miami I'm praying I don't see Indiana in the playoffs for the 3rd year in a row.

gbrl
08-07-2013, 03:02 AM
Did you know in 3 years Paul George has come nowhere close to 20 ppg? Surprised nobody else caught this but George put up less than 8 ppg as a rookie. :eyebrow:

he was talking about durant also 17 is pretty close to 20 as is 19 in this years playoffs

SteBO
08-07-2013, 06:50 AM
As for the topic Indiana matchup wise has been a real thorn in the Heat's side and of course they COULD beat them. It's been a 7 game series the last two years and Indiana got a lot better this summer than the Heat did. So if I'm Miami I'm praying I don't see Indiana in the playoffs for the 3rd year in a row.
I hear this just about every year. Miami's won back to back....why should they fear anyone? Praying not to see Indiana? C'mon now....:laugh2:

Zefflin
08-07-2013, 07:10 AM
Your own blind faith in the Heat reminds me of my own I had with Kobe and the Lakers on the verge of a second 3-peat not to long ago...we all know what happened next...

4milesperday
08-07-2013, 08:49 AM
Talking about Indiana, I think the refs did alll they could to help them versus the Knicks and Miami...for some reason the refs favored small market teams in the play-offs last season.

SteBO
08-07-2013, 08:51 AM
Your own blind faith in the Heat reminds me of my own I had with Kobe and the Lakers on the verge of a second 3-peat not to long ago...we all know what happened next...
You don't know me very well then......I'm about as realistic about this team as anyone if not moreso. Indiana has a chance to overcome Miami, but this delusion that the Heat should pray they don't face the Pacers in the playoffs again is....well.....delusional.

Rockice_8
08-07-2013, 08:53 AM
Sure they can and so can BK and probably CHI. The Heat were the class of the East but the rest of the East has caught up. They are still the favorites but anyone of INDY, BK and CHI will be a very tough series for MIA.

Even the Knicks will give MIA trouble. I think the Knicks play MIA tough especially if Melo is hot. Lebron seems to bring out the best in Melo. I just don't think NYK can get past the size of the other 3 teams standing in their way.

MIA is no longer this unbeatable team. They have their weaknesses if the right team can exploit them.

Rockice_8
08-07-2013, 08:58 AM
Talking about Indiana, I think the refs did alll they could to help them versus the Knicks and Miami...for some reason the refs favored small market teams in the play-offs last season.

I do kind of agree with this to an extent. Really only when it comes to Hibbert and his so called jumping straight up nonsense. Yeah his arms were straight up they refs completely ignored the body. He got away with alot in both series.

BoomBaby44
08-07-2013, 10:20 AM

I noticed that but i'm pretty sure he was refering to durant averaging twenty in his career. Gearge averaged 17 last year and that was his career high.

BoomBaby44
08-07-2013, 10:25 AM
I do kind of agree with this to an extent. Really only when it comes to Hibbert and his so called jumping straight up nonsense. Yeah his arms were straight up they refs completely ignored the body. He got away with alot in both series.

Dude its vertacality, if Hibbert has the posistion established it's not a foul, even if he leave his feet. Anyone that has actually played basketball knows your feet dont have to be set to draw a foul, you just need to have position established. Body contact goes both ways on offense and defense.

D-Leethal
08-07-2013, 10:26 AM
Granger is not going to make them better. They need to trade Granger IMO. All he's gonna do is take away from their bread and butter as a power team (force them to play small for stretches with George at 3 and Granger at 4), its going to take touches away from George, Hibbert and West, its gonna force George to play out of position at the 2 for larges chunks of the game.

They can get the same versatile scoring out of the 3/4 spot from Copeland. I think the Copeland signing means they are going to try to trade Granger ASAP, probably once he proves he is healthy enough to play this year.

I just think this notion that Granger is only going to add great things without taking away anything from this squad is kind of dumb. Its not that simple. I think he is going to take away more than he will add.

D-Leethal
08-07-2013, 10:28 AM
Dude its vertacality, if Hibbert has the posistion established it's not a foul, even if he leave his feet. Anyone that has actually played basketball knows your feet dont have to be set to draw a foul, you just need to have position established. Body contact goes both ways on offense and defense.

Yea, you can jump without fouling, you can slide your feet laterally and make contact without fouling. Defenders are entitled to their space the same way offensive players are. If Hibbert is there and doesn't push forward, and you barrel into him moving forward, thats not a foul on Hibbert. If your sliding your feet laterally and beat the man to the spot and he plows through you, thats not a foul on the defense regardless if he is moving. I am happy the league is finally giving Cs the benefit from the doubt in that regard.

It was starting to get impossible to defend these dudes who just barrel the lane looking for contact without even making a basketball play at the rim. Just run into the closest guy and flail the ball over the backboard = 2 FTs (I'm looking at you Harden and Parker).

RCarlson85
08-07-2013, 11:07 AM
I don't think the way the Pacers and Heat are built is that much different. The Heat, when playing at their best, play some of the best team ball in the NBA. Sure they have stars that can take over, but they're at their best when they're sharing the ball and utilizing the pieces that have been put around their 3 stars. The Heat have worked hard to put a good team around Lebron, Wade, and Bosh with players that complement them and provide what the Heat need whether it be defense, shooting, hustle, etc. The only real difference in how the 2 teams are built is that the Pacers have the size that the Heat lack.

The Pacers are the 2nd best team in the East in my opinion and they are getting better, but they better hope the Greg Oden experiment fails because size is where they have the advantage. Take that away and they don't stand as good of a chance of beating the Heat. If Oden once again proves he can't stay healthy, then it should be an interesting playoff series if they were to meet next season.

Dade County
08-07-2013, 11:19 AM

He doesn't go straight up most of the time, he's arms stay straight but he jumps slightly towards the opponent, and ever so slightly lens forward when the contact is made.

I don't believe the Pacers can beat the HEAT in a 7 game series; if the HEAT play at their best (meaning Lbj playing for real, & not dragging series out), I don't see the Pacers forcing 6 games.

Miami/Lbj does not bring it every playoff game, as you guys can clearly see by now (this is clearly do to the script)... Maybe this year things might change a little, since they almost got shafted in game 6; and just maybe we might get a fully all out Lbj for an entire year (because he has no reason to trust stern & co anymore).

Pacers, Bulls & Knicks are all very good teams, it's just that the HEAT are competitively not fair to the rest of the league. A Healthy Wade and a focus Bosh is too much for any team when Lbj is actually paling for real.

And someone posted that the Pacers are the 2nd best team in the league... I have to disagree with that. I would put Spurs & OKC clearly in front of them.

D-Leethal
08-07-2013, 12:35 PM
He doesn't go straight up most of the time, he's arms stay straight but he jumps slightly towards the opponent, and ever so slightly lens forward when the contact is made.

I don't believe the Pacers can beat the HEAT in a 7 game series; if the HEAT play at their best (meaning Lbj playing for real, & not dragging series out), I don't see the Pacers forcing 6 games.

Miami/Lbj does not bring it every playoff game, as you guys can clearly see by now (this is clearly do to the script)... Maybe this year things might change a little, since they almost got shafted in game 6; and just maybe we might get a fully all out Lbj for an entire year (because he has no reason to trust stern & co anymore).

Pacers, Bulls & Knicks are all very good teams, it's just that the HEAT are competitively not fair to the rest of the league. A Healthy Wade and a focus Bosh is too much for any team when Lbj is actually paling for real.

And someone posted that the Pacers are the 2nd best team in the league... I have to disagree with that. I would put Spurs & OKC clearly in front of them.

LOL, if Hibbert is jumping into his opponent, what the hell does that mean LeBron is doing when he initiates that contact? Hibbert was teaching a clinic on 'going straight up' during the playoffs.

Clippersfan86
08-07-2013, 01:24 PM
You don't know me very well then......I'm about as realistic about this team as anyone if not moreso. Indiana has a chance to overcome Miami, but this delusion that the Heat should pray they don't face the Pacers in the playoffs again is....well.....delusional.

So you can't admit Indiana is your least desired matchup? It's clear they give you more issues than anybody else. So it's either ignorance or arrogance, maybe both.

Clippersfan86
08-07-2013, 01:26 PM
he was talking about durant also 17 is pretty close to 20 as is 19 in this years playoffs

Then he should of elaborated because the guy he quoted was talking about the Pacers. Also 17 ppg isn't far from 20 but it's his 3rd year. The point is.. if he's talking about the Pacers he's dead wrong.

IndyRealist
08-07-2013, 01:27 PM

PG was also benched as a rookie for calling out coach O'Brien on twitter, and was the 5th option when he did play. Per game numbers are really misleading.

FYL_McVeezy
08-07-2013, 01:29 PM
Unless Indy finds a way to add a star...or Paul George suddenly becomes a top 5-10 player in the league....the answer is NO.

They will always give Miami a major headache though.....

FYL_McVeezy
08-07-2013, 01:33 PM

Because the new CBA was supposed to give the small market teams a chance to compete.....

So they got a "lil extra help" to ensure that sentiment came true......

SteBO
08-07-2013, 02:29 PM

So you can't admit Indiana is your least desired matchup? It's clear they give you more issues than anybody else. So it's either ignorance or arrogance, maybe both.
You said Miami should pray they don't face Indiana. That implies that Miami should "fear" Indiana, which is different from them being the least desired matchup. Don't direct ignorance or arrogance at me after trying to change the discussion....also if you read my post you quoted, I stated that Indiana can overcome Miami.

PurpleLynch
08-07-2013, 03:21 PM
Indiana has,for now,the best chance to win against the Heat.Young,strong and well organized.

IversonIsKrazy
08-07-2013, 03:27 PM
CAN they? Yes. WILL THEY We shall see.

Clippersfan86
08-07-2013, 06:14 PM
You said Miami should pray they don't face Indiana. That implies that Miami should "fear" Indiana, which is different from them being the least desired matchup. Don't direct ignorance or arrogance at me after trying to change the discussion....also if you read my post you quoted, I stated that Indiana can overcome Miami.

Whether or not it was hyperbole any smart Miami fan should desperately want the team to avoid Indiana. You should be hoping for any matchup BUT Indiana come playoff time. If these statements are true, its not that off base to say praying they don't see Indiana. I don't think praying they don't see Indiana means they are "terrified". It means they should avoid them at all costs.

Bostonjorge
08-07-2013, 06:28 PM
Indy should trade granger for either deng or Marion so one of those guys can guard lebron. They have a good chance this year with the moves they made but getting one of those players will slow lebron down enough to win the series.

Clippersfan86
08-07-2013, 06:30 PM
Indy should trade granger for either deng or Marion so one of those guys can guard lebron. They have a good chance this year with the moves they made but getting one of those players will slow lebron down enough to win the series.

Marion from 2-3 years ago sure... but at this age I don't think he will do any better defensively than George this year.

Zefflin
08-07-2013, 07:45 PM

I don't claim to know you sir. I'm aware indiana has a good chance to overcome miama (like a said to my buddy boombaby years and years ago about the thunder and then pacers soon after, stop getting offended by our inside jokes, it'll save you the trouble of seeming pompous) I also hold no delusion that the Heat should pray that they don't face the pacers in the playoffs...although any true nba fan would realize that this is actually true, of coarse the Heat don't want to see the pacers in the playoffs, amd I'm also aware of what David Stern aka Vince McDonald would like to see next year in the east playoffs...good day sir.

Then he should of elaborated because the guy he quoted was talking about the Pacers. Also 17 ppg isn't far from 20 but it's his 3rd year. The point is.. if he's talking about the Pacers he's dead wrong.

Thank you for being aware.

topdog
08-07-2013, 07:47 PM
The Pacers legitimately had a chance this year after somewhat "getting lucky" with the Bosh injury the year before. I love the Scola move and Granger may or may not help them (perhaps even in a trade).

I feel like any series involving the Heat is more about the Heat than the other team. We know what Lebron is going to do over 7 games, but Wade is either regressing or unluckily sustaining injuries each year before the playoffs and Bosh rarely attempts to make an impact most of the time while the rest of the team is hit-or-miss from 3. Other teams have enough talent to knock off the Heat when the Heat aren't have the burners turned down.

Big Zo
08-07-2013, 07:48 PM
Whether or not it was hyperbole any smart Miami fan should desperately want the team to avoid Indiana. You should be hoping for any matchup BUT Indiana come playoff time. If these statements are true, its not that off base to say praying they don't see Indiana. I don't think praying they don't see Indiana means they are "terrified". It means they should avoid them at all costs.
Why? I wanna see them beat the best teams. I want them to face Indiana again, and send them home for a third straight year.

Dade County
08-07-2013, 09:52 PM
LOL, if Hibbert is jumping into his opponent, what the hell does that mean LeBron is doing when he initiates that contact?

I don't like that offensive players can just crush into the defensive player too; but hibbert doesn't go stright up all the time, he arches his arm forward after the contact is made (sometimes).

Hibbert was teaching a clinic on 'going straight up' during the playoffs.

ok.

Dade County
08-07-2013, 09:55 PM
Because the new CBA was supposed to give the small market teams a chance to compete.....

So they got a "lil extra help" to ensure that sentiment came true......

two small market teams was in the finals, two years in a row now (here it comes).

Dade County
08-07-2013, 09:59 PM

why not say, indiana should prey that some other team in the east take out the HEAT? Why not say, the pacers should " avoid them at all costs"?

Are you trying to troll and I fell for it?

Cal827
08-07-2013, 10:16 PM
I Think that Indiana probably has the best chance out of the east to beat the HEAT, but I'm still not so sure. Granger's return could also be malevolent to that teams offense (George gets less possession). We will have to see.

IndyRealist
08-07-2013, 10:40 PM
I don't like that offensive players can just crush into the defensive player too; but hibbert doesn't go stright up all the time, he arches his arm forward after the contact is made (sometimes).

That's why it's the hardest call in basketball. Hibbert made a concerted effort to go straight up this year, and got a reputation for it. Now when the ref isn't sure he gets the benefit of doubt.

Lebron, Wade, and others get the same benefit when they drive into the lane, with their reputations as skilled slashers.

Zefflin
08-07-2013, 10:47 PM
The Miami Heat and a few individuals get the same benefit when they drive into the lane, with their reputations as skilled slashers.

Fixed.

TheNumber37
08-07-2013, 10:50 PM
If I'm the Pacers, I'm trying to trade for Rondo.