PDA

View Full Version : If Greg Oden comes back and plays like he did when healthy, who can beat Miami?

4milesperday
08-06-2013, 09:41 PM
Which team has a chance of beating a Heat team featuring a Healthy Oden? Even if Wade is a shade of himself...

R. Johnson#3
08-06-2013, 09:44 PM
The Toronto Raptors

JerseyPalahniuk
08-06-2013, 09:46 PM
Lol wut is this a real question?

Who can beat the two-time defending champs if the player they just acquired (who happens to fulfill their primary weakness) plays well and remains healthy?

WadeKobe
08-06-2013, 09:49 PM
The answer is still The Spurs, who were the better team heading into the finals and nearly won, and a healthy Hiuston Rockets team that has figured out how toget max minutes out of Howard and Asik.

Those two teams stand the best chance.

From there, if the Bulls are healthy you have to throw them in the mix.

Yanks All Day
08-06-2013, 09:51 PM
Nobody. If the Heat are fully healthy, no one can beat them 4 out of 7 games in a playoff series. Now, that's a big "if." Wade has been hurt plenty recently, and Oden hasn't played in years. If they keep getting hurt, Indiana has the best chance to knock them off. Though if everyone is healthy, the Heat will 3 peat.

Dade County
08-06-2013, 09:59 PM
When the HEAT play how they are supposed to play, no one can beat them (Oden or not).

Hoopsadvocate
08-06-2013, 10:06 PM
The answer is still The Spurs, who were the better team heading into the finals and nearly won, and a healthy Hiuston Rockets team that has figured out how toget max minutes out of Howard and Asik.

Those two teams stand the best chance.

From there, if the Bulls are healthy you have to throw them in the mix.

Your only half right. Too many what ifs with the rockets there the same can be said about any team in the NBA ala the lakers last year or nets this year the FACT is they are unproven and its not like they will jump from a bottom playoff team to contender just by adding a guy who did squat for the Lakers last season.

Everyone (or most avg mind basketball fans) think the way to beat the heat is through having a good big man (or men) but thats only part of the equation.

To beat them it takes a combination or great defensive coaching (see Pop, Doc, and thibs success in frustrating the HEAT) balanced offensive teamwork (cant just rely on 2-3 good players remember OKC getting stomped by us?) and then quality physical big guys (Memphis, Chicago, Indiana).

Now to the original question who can beat miami if Greg oden plays like he did when healthy which i believe was about 8/8/1.5 bpg. Is well Indiana and maybe SA.

Indi has all 3 of the above mentioned and they took care of their one weakness which was a lack of depth and of course have a lot more playoff experience now and they still have guys who have yet to reach their full potential in george*, hibbert, and stephenson and each of them took considerable big steps toward that last season.

SA has the best coach in basketball and thats their biggest strength and besides that they have all the tools to match up with us and you better believe in this game of basketball chess pop will figure a new scheme to take us on, but age is a factor as well.

kingofdaburbs19
08-06-2013, 10:14 PM
Considering the fact he will barley play this season (even while being "healthy") the Heat are the exact same team except Lebron will probably be better than last season. Oden will be irrelevant.

OceanSpray
08-06-2013, 10:17 PM
I don't think LeBron will be better than last season. It's hard to imagine someone having a better season than LeBron had last year. Amazing efficiency. It was just a crazy statistical season for him. Maybe his FT% and post game, but his FG% and three point game will drop.

Slug3
08-06-2013, 11:27 PM
Look, Oden is not going to be some super player. He just needs to stay healthy and be a big body and it a plus for Miami. I highly doubt he goes like 15 and 10 a game.

Hawkeye15
08-06-2013, 11:28 PM
Nobody. Chance of that happening? Around 2%.

Knick_Fever
08-06-2013, 11:35 PM
Please, not another one of these "if" threads :facepalm:

Tmath
08-06-2013, 11:44 PM
Raps in 4

RiceOnTheRun
08-06-2013, 11:54 PM
Oden won't be dropping 20 and 10 anytime soon.

But let's say he does, I'd probably pick the Pacers as the best team to combat that. Hibbert would definitely need to step up his game though. Managing against a healthy Oden while trying to keep Lebron outside the paint would be a challenge for any player. They have the depth to keep up with Miami's pieces as well, because of their two other all-stars in Granger and George. Lance Stephenson and George Hill would have to do a phenomenal job with their perimeter defense too, if Ray or Chalmers get hot from outside, it would just be too much for the Pacers to handle. Offensively, they also have Scola and Copeland who can spread the floor, taking Bosh farther away from the rim which would make Hibbert's life much easier. They have some other pretty good wing scorers as well, with Stephenson, George and Granger capable of dropping at least 20 on any given night.

I still think the Heat are the favorites against any team with a fully healthy Oden, but the Pacers would probably be one of the few teams with the depth and talent to beat them.

Zefflin
08-07-2013, 12:03 AM
Nobody. Chance of that happening? Around 2%.

Haha, pretty close. Minus the Pacers and a couple other team i can't think of

BoomBaby44
08-07-2013, 12:09 AM
Pacers!

JAZZNC
08-07-2013, 12:26 AM
Who cares what happens when he's healthy b/c that scenario doesn't exist. What makes anybody think he can make it through an NBA season?

MrfadeawayJB
08-07-2013, 12:29 AM
If oden lived up to his potential and stay healthy the answer is nobody

Chill_Will_24
08-07-2013, 01:18 AM
Nobody

beasted86
08-07-2013, 01:18 AM
C'mon son, nobody is even trying to have nightmares like that...

rocketfuel
08-07-2013, 01:27 AM
Certainly, it's intriguing if Oden lives up to his potential and becomes a beast on defense and rebounding. Having a guy deter shots inside and get second shots would dramatically affect the team and allow Bosh to not have to face Hibbert. That's why Pat Riley has been recruiting Oden for two years. I do wonder what the Heat are going to do to replace Miller's outside shooting. Miller was a big part of their finals success. I would still like to see Oden healthy for a month so that we can at least see the potential that propelled him to the #1 pick.

The Pacers were pretty impressive last year....they seem to have a very young, talented athletic team. The Spurs veterans just need to hang on and play at the same high level because they have some emerging young guys. There are also other teams that added big stars....but it takes time for teams to mesh so it it would be just a guess.

carlthack
08-07-2013, 01:41 AM
Greg has never been healthy at any point of his NBA career how do we even know how to evaluate that? He was healthy for a little while during his college career but that was college.

Only two things in life are certain, one is the sun will rise in the morning. The other is Oden will get hurt, again.

BoomDizzle33
08-07-2013, 02:12 AM
Only thing that can beat the Heat are injuries, Houston/clippers/Bronx, or David Stern dying.

Bostonjorge
08-07-2013, 02:24 AM
He will live up to his original potential and even rival Lebron. Heat still won't three peat.

jerellh528
08-07-2013, 04:18 PM
Miami is a perimeter team. Oden might make them adjust their style of play/ disrupt the chemistry they've built since 2010. Then who knows if they are better off or worse. I'd take spurs, bulls, clippers, Okc, Indiana, Memphis, nets, warriors, all as teams who could potentially beat them.

NYKnickFanatic
08-07-2013, 04:23 PM
Warriors, Rockets.

OlivaThor
08-07-2013, 05:22 PM
I hate "IF" threads

Max.This
08-07-2013, 05:28 PM
another ****** thread. The kid hasn't played in years, also will be rehabbing for most of the season. You have a better chance of hitting the powerball then this kid staying healthy for the season.

Ethix11
08-07-2013, 05:39 PM
Everyone but the Pacers and Nets.

SportsFanatic10
08-07-2013, 05:39 PM
Which team has a chance of beating a Heat team featuring a Healthy Oden? Even if Wade is a shade of himself...

wade isn't a shade of his former self when he's healthy, he's just getting hurt often making it seem that way. the real question is who can beat the heat with a healthy wade not oden. and the answer is nobody. if everyone on this roster has their health it's over.

chalmers/cole
wade/allen
lebron/battier/jones
bosh/haslem/lewis/varnado
oden/birdman/anthony

the only times the heat have appeared vulnerable in the playoffs (besides their first year together when they were figuring it all out and had no depth but still tore though the east) is when wade was playing hurt last year, and when bosh missed time the year before vs the pacers and boston.

Sly Guy
08-07-2013, 08:05 PM
greg oden won't. So relax.

Hawkeye15
08-07-2013, 09:02 PM
Haha, pretty close. Minus the Pacers and a couple other team i can't think of

I mean, if Oden plays like he did when healthy, the Heat rip through the NBA playoffs and crush everything. That is why I said the chances of that happening are around 2%.

Cal827
08-07-2013, 09:59 PM
Only the Monstars.

They would have taken out the Tunes too, if it wasn't for the refs ignoring how much time was left on the clock.

Kyben36
08-07-2013, 10:30 PM
alot of teams could compete, but it makes miami that much harder to beat, if he could stay healthy, sorry miami fans its truely doubtful, he would easily be a tyson chandler that you guys need if not better, hell, the guy shot left handed FT in college and had a 60+ %, the guys has skill, size and tallent, its a really big if though for him to stay healthy.

Knick_Fever
08-07-2013, 10:53 PM
The truth is Oden would be lucky if he could even get to play 10-15 games. Doctors that have examined him in the past actually believe there's a strong possibility he'll have problems walking by his late 30's. The guy literally has an irreversible degenerative knee condition. Its a shame but its the facts.

tr3ymill3r
08-07-2013, 10:57 PM
He won't.

TheMightyHumph
08-07-2013, 11:00 PM
If Oden becomes the player he was in college, I have to believe Lebron will opt out.

KnicksR4Real
08-07-2013, 11:05 PM
Hell my rookie cards of him would be valuable again.

3RDASYSTEM
08-07-2013, 11:24 PM

First things first WADE can never be a shell of himself

its a unwritten rule for 'best players of they era' to be a shell due to injury and not because of actual on floor game, I never knocked BIRD off his best of the best pedestal because of back injury (plus I don't knock down players who don't win rings),he was proven same with LARRY J and TMAC and others

you think DREAM's short time in TOR diminished his dominance he displayed for a decade plus? if you think so then you need to cover another sport, or another hobby for that matter

Second, if ODEN is 80-100pct healthy then its a wrap because he is going to be in top flight shape as far as outside of ball and getting accustomed with the MVP should be a easy task since past MVP's and champs have fared well added top notch pieces, see JORDAN getting KUKOC and RODMAN and others, even BISON made an impact during that run, GOD bless the dead

last note, if ODEN shows flashes like POR just half the time they will win a lot of games, 96' BULLS territory if healthy and motivated highly, BULLS blew a few games and could have easily finished 75-7 or so

3RDASYSTEM
08-07-2013, 11:44 PM
The truth is Oden would be lucky if he could even get to play 10-15 games. Doctors that have examined him in the past actually believe there's a strong possibility he'll have problems walking by his late 30's. The guy literally has an irreversible degenerative knee condition. Its a shame but its the facts.

True he may have trouble walking by his late 30's because I've had convo with a former football player who says a good amount of NFL players have trouble walking after career(plus memory loss), and some even get leg replacement, along with possibly hip, and he didn't even make it to the league, just had a nice college career and could have went PRO, gave me a lot of tips on how It goes

JasonJohnHorn
08-08-2013, 08:22 AM
When was Greg Oden healthy again? I say this seriously. The dude has played 82 games in 6 seasons. He's never been healthy so we've never seen him healthy.

When he played, he wasn't healthy. He was getting limited minutes because he was recovering.

Also, he committed a LOT of fouls. He wouldn't even be in the game for 36 minutes because he would be fouled out by then.

Plus, he's been out of the game for close to three years now. You don't just come back and play at your highest level after an absence that long. Even if healthy, I wouldn't expect Oden to get more than 15-20 minutes a game this year. The following season may see him get more, but this year will be growing pains.

And let's not forget, he's essentially a rookie. He hasn't had the kind of in-game experience most vets his age have, so he's got a lot to learn yet. There are sophomores who, entering their second season, had more games played than Oden. Harrison Barnes, who is entering his second season, has more career games than Oden with 93 compared to Oden's 86.

Oden still needs to get a feel for the NBA game and he never really developed a strong offensive game.

Anybody who expects Oden to make a huge impact for Miami this year is kidding themselves. He's going to be a role player. He can still make an impact, and he could be a game changer, but it is just as likely that he hurts the team whilst on the court with bad fouls. On the bright side, he was a decent free-throw shooter and didn't create as many turnovers as some bigs in the league.

FYL_McVeezy
08-08-2013, 09:36 AM
Oden is probably on the phone with Tony Bosch as we speak.....He should have easy access being that one of his teammates.....................

Never mind :laugh2: