PDA

View Full Version : Will Anthony Bennett be the first #1 pick in a while to come off bench? Who was last?

LTBaByyy
08-06-2013, 02:39 PM
Who was the last person?

I don't see Bennett starting for a while being behind Thompson

IndyRealist
08-06-2013, 03:03 PM
Bennett isn't going to start at SF?

beasted86
08-06-2013, 03:04 PM
I see them force fitting him at the 3 despite what Mike Brown said.

C_Mund
08-06-2013, 03:10 PM
I think Bargs only started a couple of games his rookie year. Let's hope the only thing these guys have in common is their initials.

I could see Bennett coming off the bench as he gets his legs back under him. If he's able to slide into the starting lineup as a 3 after a month or two it would be great for the team, but there's a good chance he's battling Thompson for that pf spot by all-star break. Frankly if they decide to play small-ball they might be able to co-exist down the road

IndyRealist
08-06-2013, 03:10 PM
Every team in the east has picked up a big, defensive forward to throw at Lebron. Just like every team in the west has an athletic PG.

c.c.
08-06-2013, 03:11 PM
Wow I never thought about this, I actually forgot he went number 1 (no disrespect to Bennett). This years off-season signings and trades just stood out more than the draft.

waveycrockett
08-06-2013, 08:04 PM
I can't remember the last undersized PF in the NBA who made a big/allstar type impact since Charles Barkley and LJ's last great years around 94 and 95 which was almost 20 years ago. I think Bennett is really going to struggle at the 4.

sunsfan88
08-06-2013, 08:12 PM
Bennett is the least hyped 1st overall pick in a while. Even after getting drafted 1st overall, nobody cares about him lol.

tredigs
08-06-2013, 08:13 PM
Bennett is the least hyped 1st overall pick in a while. Even after getting drafted 1st overall, nobody cares about him lol.

I literally forgot he was the #1 pick. I'm excited to see Oladipo though.

kozelkid
08-06-2013, 09:02 PM
I can't remember the last undersized PF in the NBA who made a big/allstar type impact since Charles Barkley and LJ's last great years around 94 and 95 which was almost 20 years ago. I think Bennett is really going to struggle at the 4.

Elton Brand, Paul Millsap, David West, Carlos Boozer. Just off the top of my head...

Gators123
08-06-2013, 09:04 PM
Hes out of shape, and has Kwame Brown hands

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8JZr_GKwmtY

JerseyPalahniuk
08-06-2013, 09:44 PM
I don't even know what to expect of this guy with the logjam of young bigs they have. Cavs need to find out which bigs will fit Mike Brown's system by the all-star break and trade away whoever doesn't fit in for depth at the wings.

MrfadeawayJB
08-06-2013, 10:42 PM
I think they will try him at the three and shop Thompson if it doesn't workout. I think Bennett will be very good, but I'm obviously in the minority

waveycrockett
08-06-2013, 11:16 PM
Elton Brand, Paul Millsap, David West, Carlos Boozer. Just off the top of my head...

You and I must have a different definition of UNDERSIZED. Anthony Bennett is a legit 6 foot 7 with sneakers at the combine. None of those guys are shorter than 6'9 and Paul Millsap is hardly an allstar type talent.

kenzo400
08-06-2013, 11:21 PM
You and I must have a different definition of UNDERSIZED. Anthony Bennett is a legit 6 foot 7 with sneakers at the combine. None of those guys are shorter than 6'9 and Paul Millsap is hardly an allstar type talent.

Bennet is 6:8 with a longer wingspan than most of these guys.

I know for a fact that Milsap is shorter height wise and his wingspan is not as long.

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Paul-Millsap-299/

LTBaByyy
08-06-2013, 11:32 PM
Would he be considered a bust if he didnt even have the legit #1 hype? Lol

waveycrockett
08-06-2013, 11:37 PM
Bennet is 6:8 with a longer wingspan than most of these guys.

I know for a fact that Milsap is shorter height wise and his wingspan is not as long.

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Paul-Millsap-299/

Draft Express has him listed as 6'7 on the nose WITH shoes meaning he's really 6'6. Dwayne Wade and Eric Gordon have a longer Wingspan than most of those guys whats your point?

waveycrockett
08-06-2013, 11:41 PM
Would he be considered a bust if he didnt even have the legit #1 hype? Lol

I definitely think he's going to bust big time. This was such an incredibly weak draft at the top. The kid clearly has weight issues and as we've seen from Derrick Williams who was a better prospect out of Arizona great athleticism and Wing Span is not going to make up for the traditional size you need for the position. Unless he develops a great all around game and gets himself in great shape he is screwed.

Raps08-09 Champ
08-06-2013, 11:43 PM
Bargnani only started a few games.

kenzo400
08-06-2013, 11:49 PM
Draft Express has him listed as 6'7 on the nose WITH shoes meaning he's really 6'6. Dwayne Wade and Eric Gordon have a longer Wingspan than most of those guys whats your point?

Even then Milsap would be the same height. Although, I think height with shoes is more important since he will be wearing shoes during basketball games.

Anyway, my point was that wing span is very important. Its actually more important than regular height because it tells you how much distance a player can cover with his body and hands. I'm not sure if Eric Gordon or Dwayne Wade have longer wing spans. If they do, it doesn't matter because they are not covering other teams big men. I'm not sure why you are bringing them up.

On a side note. Bennet seems to have a pretty high game IQ. if he can learn how to use his size in the NBA game then he could be a very productive player. If I was him, I would use Marc Gasol as inspiration. Yes, Gasol has the size advantage over him but he is probably the least athletic center in the league, and yet plays like the best. Because he plays smart and knows how to use his size.

TrueFan420
08-07-2013, 12:18 AM
Wow I never thought about this, I actually forgot he went number 1 (no disrespect to Bennett). This years off-season signings and trades just stood out more than the draft.

Agreed

GunFactor187
08-07-2013, 12:23 AM
Definitely looking forward to seeing if Bynum/Varejao/Bennett could work as a tandem...but oh wait, SPACING will be the issue!!! Damn it! :p

MrfadeawayJB
08-07-2013, 12:26 AM

Even then Milsap would be the same height. Although, I think height with shoes is more important since he will be wearing shoes during basketball games.

Anyway, my point was that wing span is very important. Its actually more important than regular height because it tells you how much distance a player can cover with his body and hands. I'm not sure if Eric Gordon or Dwayne Wade have longer wing spans. If they do, it doesn't matter because they are not covering other teams big men. I'm not sure why you are bringing them up.

On a side note. Bennet seems to have a pretty high game IQ. if he can learn how to use his size in the NBA game then he could be a very productive player. If I was him, I would use Marc Gasol as inspiration. Yes, Gasol has the size advantage over him but he is probably the least athletic center in the league, and yet plays like the best. Because he plays smart and knows how to use his size.

I'm confused by this. Have you seen Bennett play? He has amazing bounce and a great motor.

WITZ
08-07-2013, 02:23 AM

Source for this because Bennett didn't get measured at the combine :laugh2:

waveycrockett
08-07-2013, 03:41 AM
Source for this because Bennett didn't get measured at the combine :laugh2:

Everybody has to get measured. The "camp" is a separate deal.

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Anthony-Bennett-5866/

kozelkid
08-07-2013, 11:46 AM

Fair enough, but Brand is 6'8.

monty77
08-07-2013, 12:52 PM
Maybe Andrea Bargnani wasn't starter at his rookie season, I don't remember. But the fact that Bennett doesn't play as starter doesn't mind that he is a bad player, on this occasion. Tristan Thompson is a decent PF who can reach about 15 points and 10 boards a night.

If Cavs had picked up a players such as Otto Porter or Oladipo, both of them can play as SF, there would have no doubt that he would be starter because this spot is not covered as well as PF in the Cavs roster. However, neither Thompson nor Bennett can play as SF, so one of them will be backup.

It's clear that Cavs' selection was a surprise because there were other players with more credentials, but Cavs known perfectly that Bynum was on board, so they give up to players such as Alex Lin, Noel or Zeller. I don't know if Bennett will be a better player of them, but I have the conviction that, if this draft is remembered by some good reason, this will be the number of acceptable Centers.

This draft is luck of talent, and maybe Bennett is the more talented player, however we can't forget that Tristan Thompson was chosen at 4th position two years ago, and he has prove to be the best big man of this draft, along with Vucevic, because players as Derrick Williams (2), Enes Kanter (3), Vesely (6) and Biyombo (7) are a bust so far.

5ass
08-07-2013, 02:22 PM
Maybe Andrea Bargnani wasn't starter at his rookie season, I don't remember. But the fact that Bennett doesn't play as starter doesn't mind that he is a bad player, on this occasion. Tristan Thompson is a decent PF who can reach about 15 points and 10 boards a night.

If Cavs had picked up a players such as Otto Porter or Oladipo, both of them can play as SF, there would have no doubt that he would be starter because this spot is not covered as well as PF in the Cavs roster. However, neither Thompson nor Bennett can play as SF, so one of them will be backup.

It's clear that Cavs' selection was a surprise because there were other players with more credentials, but Cavs known perfectly that Bynum was on board, so they give up to players such as Alex Lin, Noel or Zeller. I don't know if Bennett will be a better player of them, but I have the conviction that, if this draft is remembered by some good reason, this will be the number of acceptable Centers.

This draft is luck of talent, and maybe Bennett is the more talented player, however we can't forget that Tristan Thompson was chosen at 4th position two years ago, and he has prove to be the best big man of this draft, along with Vucevic, because players as Derrick Williams (2), Enes Kanter (3), Vesely (6) and Biyombo (7) are a bust so far.

Kanter produced well in limited minutes. We'll see what he does next year, but based on his per36 min stats he looks like he can put up a double double. In the long run, I'd take him over Thompson.

Biyombo is still 20 years old, and he will be a good defensive center in the next few years. I'd also take him over Thompson in the long run.

I'd probably take Derrick Williams over Thompson as well.

OlivaThor
08-07-2013, 05:38 PM
Now instead of Drummond, Val and Oladipo Cavs have Thompson, Waiters and Bennet .. nice job. I am suprised that they took Kyrie over DWill lol

Six-8-TheWizard
08-08-2013, 12:55 AM
Now instead of Drummond, Val and Oladipo Cavs have Thompson, Waiters and Bennet .. nice job. I am suprised that they took Kyrie over DWill lol

Cavs could have a lineup right now of:

Irving-Jack
Oladipo-Miles-Ellington
Barnes-Gee
Val-Varajao-Clark
Bynum-Zeller

5ass
08-08-2013, 02:53 AM
Cavs could have a lineup right now of:

Irving-Jack
Oladipo-Miles-Ellington
Barnes-Gee
Val-Varajao-Clark
Bynum-Zeller

or

Irving
Oladipo
Josh Smith
Val
Drummond

kenzo400
08-12-2013, 11:45 PM
I'm confused by this. Have you seen Bennett play? He has amazing bounce and a great motor.

He does have a great bounce but he is not the quickest guy. It is mostly due to his size and body frame. Also, his motor will not translate the same way into the NBA game. He is a step behind more athletic bigs (ideal example: Tyson Chandler)

carlthack
08-13-2013, 12:01 AM
Andrea Bargnani only started 2 of the 65 games he played in his rookie year. It has to be him.

tp13baby
08-13-2013, 12:02 AM
He does have a great bounce but he is not the quickest guy. It is mostly due to his size and body frame. Also, his motor will not translate the same way into the NBA game. He is a step behind more athletic bigs (ideal example: Tyson Chandler)

Motor is motor dude. Faried has nothing except motor and he is practically a double double guy.

Im an Anthony Bennett fan. At the peak of his career, cause my guess is he will continue to develop an outside game, I think he can be a poor man's Melo. He will abuse 3's in the post and too athletic for 4's.

BIG worm
08-13-2013, 12:25 AM
Motor is motor dude. Faried has nothing except motor and he is practically a double double guy.

Im an Anthony Bennett fan. At the peak of his career, cause my guess is he will continue to develop an outside game, I think he can be a poor man's Melo. He will abuse 3's in the post and too athletic for 4's.

Sounds like what Beasley was supposed to do.

Ebbs
08-13-2013, 12:48 AM
Anthony Bennett will try his hand at SF

mrblisterdundee
08-13-2013, 12:54 AM
I say let him start and be a beefy small forward just like LeBron James was. The Cavaliers have other guys who can keep the bench going, such as Alonzo Gee, Jarrett Jack and Earl Clark.

MrfadeawayJB
08-13-2013, 10:29 AM

That's pretty much what I was thinking. Also his motor will be put to use vs 4's and 3's, not centers.i think his game resembles Larry Johnson. Remember too that Bennett is very young and far from developed. Once he improved his shot even more watch out

kenzo400
08-13-2013, 12:37 PM

Not when you are playing against the best players in the world. Just being drafted means that you are in the top 1% of all professional players that year. Having a high motor in the NCAA game does not mean you will be able to dominate in the NBA game. Most importantely, we should be comparing his motor to other players in the NBA, not in his previous play against much more inferior competition.

A perfect example of a guy with high motor in the NCAA game is Evan Turner. He is a solid player in the NBA but we can see how he is limited from an athletic standpoint. It is just a whole other level of competition. However, the big advantage that Bennet has is strength and a big frame, that if he uses properly can help him tremendously.

I don't see him playing the 3 for any long period of time. Melo is a natural born 3 that can play the 4 sometimes mainly because of his size. Bennet is not quick enough to play the 3 in the NBA game. Maybe for short stretches.

kenzo400
08-13-2013, 12:38 PM
That's pretty much what I was thinking. Also his motor will be put to use vs 4's and 3's, not centers.i think his game resembles Larry Johnson. Remember too that Bennett is very young and far from developed. Once he improved his shot even more watch out

Larry Johnson is not a bad comparison. However, I don't think guys like LJ can succeed as well, as in the past.