PDA

View Full Version : What aspect of your game do you enjoy working on the most?

Chronz
08-06-2013, 01:35 PM
Im not a coach and I never played past HS so I dont know what kind of professional drills are out there. Just what I see on youtube, but when Im practicing, with a friend or alone, it seems there are really only 3 aspects to choose from, ball handling, shooting, or scoring.

They all intertwine in some way but for the most part, what do you enjoy putting in the work on?

My jumper is broken, I dont have a consistent form but my handles are good enough to protect the ball against better athletes. I feel like the overwhelming majority of us will say ball handling.

ILLUSIONIST^248
08-06-2013, 01:42 PM
Im not a coach and I never played past HS so I dont know what kind of professional drills are out there. Just what I see on youtube, but when Im practicing, with a friend or alone, it seems there are really only 3 aspects to choose from, ball handling, shooting, or scoring.

They all intertwine in some way but for the most part, what do you enjoy putting in the work on?

My jumper is broken, I dont have a consistent form but my handles are good enough to protect the ball against better athletes. I feel like the overwhelming majority of us will say ball handling.

Jump shooting. I'm not small enough to play PG and not big enough to play down low, so I'm basically a spot up shooter. I like to think of myself as a Kyle Korver type player with an above average defensive game.

Clippersfan86
08-06-2013, 01:43 PM
I'm big on instant gratification so things I'm not good at like ball handling are more frustrating and I hate working on. I'd say I like working on my shot most though. I'm a natural shooter but don't get to play much so every time I return to playing I feel like I'm rediscovering my Larry Bird stroke, tweaking it a little at a time. ;) Defense is also fun although it's pretty easy for me so I try to keep it interesting with hard fouls and risky defensive gambles.

ILLUSIONIST^248
08-06-2013, 01:50 PM
In before DMF comes in here and tells us about how he used to play D1 College ball, and was the Star QB for his D1 High school :laugh:

Gibby23
08-06-2013, 01:58 PM
I think most people just shoot. I quit working on my game after my 1st year of college. I was like the 8th or 9th man on my team and decided just to focus on school after that 1 year. But if you are not playing for anything it is pointless to work on your game. Most people just get a ball and put up jumpers.

MrfadeawayJB
08-06-2013, 02:02 PM
I always shoot but that's more just maintenance. I feel I have at least a d1 level jump shot. I work more on how to get off my jump shot whether off the dribble or using a jab step. I also work on floaters and shooting off weird angles since I'm not the most athletic or tall person

JEDean89
08-06-2013, 02:04 PM
I like working on my post up game and shooting, that way I can score in pickup games.

Chronz
08-06-2013, 02:14 PM
So no one enjoys practicing specific scoring moves, like cross+spin layup from the elbow, escape dribble jumpers on the wings......

Me neither. I never took it that seriously but theres been a resurgence of late in basketball interest among my crew. Thinking about taking it to the next level.

Chronz
08-06-2013, 02:18 PM
I think most people just shoot. I quit working on my game after my 1st year of college. I was like the 8th or 9th man on my team and decided just to focus on school after that 1 year. But if you are not playing for anything it is pointless to work on your game. Most people just get a ball and put up jumpers.

True.

But when you did work on your game, what did you focus on? Or did College dictate most of that? Its interesting to hear what kind of advanced **** they had. The reason I boiled it down to these 3 simple aspects is because defense is something you can work best on if you have tape to review of yourself. You get any film sessions?

Clippersfan86
08-06-2013, 02:19 PM
So no one enjoys practicing specific scoring moves, like cross+spin layup from the elbow, escape dribble jumpers on the wings......

Me neither. I never took it that seriously but theres been a resurgence of late in basketball interest amongs my crew. Thinking about taking it to the next level.

Definitely fun to work on moves. Something weird I noticed recently is I'm just as accurate off one leg on the Dirk shot as my normal shot! I think it's because it forces me to focus more on the footwork so my shot itself is more relaxed and natural. Dirk shots are super fun to work on.

PhillyFaninLA
08-06-2013, 02:21 PM
I've always been a good passer, good rebounder (for someone my height), very good defender (I've kept a guy who made it as a bench player in the NBA at bay, until he jumped over me), very good lateral movement, but no shot so I always enjoy working on the shot to get it better

kdspurman
08-06-2013, 02:23 PM
Aside from defense, I'm really big on the floater/tear drop. So I like to work on a quick right to left or left to right crossover with a tear drop from the FT line down. My shot is way too inconsistent, my form changes too much. So I try and live in the paint

Gibby23
08-06-2013, 02:28 PM
True.

But when you did work on your game, what did you focus on? Or did College dictate most of that? Its interesting to hear what kind of advanced **** they had. The reason I boiled it down to these 3 simple aspects is because defense is something you can work best on if you have tape to review of yourself. You get any film sessions?

You don't get much of a chance to work on your individual game. We would run sprints, run sprints with a left and right dribble, do zig zags up the court with a cross over and on the way back zig zag with a cross over under the legs. Then shoot jumpers from different spots for like 20 or 30 min. Most of practice is geared to practice offensive sets and defensive sets and a scrimmage at the end sometimes. The big men would work on post moves during the shooting time.

As far as film, we would watch tape of the previous games and the coach would pause it after every breakdown and have somebody the player involved or players involved tell him what they did wrong and what they should have did. He did the same with offense. We didn't watch practice tape, he would just stop practice until we got it right or you hit the line and run.

Clippersfan86
08-06-2013, 02:30 PM
Aside from defense, I'm really big on the floater/tear drop. So I like to work on a quick right to left or left to right crossover with a tear drop from the FT line down. My shot is way too inconsistent, my form changes too much. So I try and live in the paint

I'm jelly. I can't really shoot those too well because of smaller hands. I can't palm a ball so it's hard to get the right accurate on the floaters/tears. Can you palm a ball?

SteBO
08-06-2013, 02:38 PM
Ball handling for me.....because its what I would need the most improvement. Basketball is becoming part of my cardio, and I've always been pretty fast so making sure my handles are sharp is important.

Meaze_Gibson
08-06-2013, 02:40 PM
Im 27 and I have never played college ball. However i still work on my game, especially my triple threat or post game and defense. idk i just still get a joy out of knowing you have a goto move in a situation and at least two countermovess if that move is prevented. I still get a joy out of seeing new moves and footwork positions. Likewise, I also enjoy stopping other people from scoring and using their offensive weapons. Feels like chess or something.

archdevil84
08-06-2013, 02:42 PM
i love working on Post hook shots and also love to just put up jumpers every here and there. Love taking free throws aswell for some reason and i freestyle dunk all the time. I'm working on getting a better vertical every day. I live in holland tho so being 6'8 is very tall here so i can jump much higher then most people here but in america it would be a whole different story lol

archdevil84
08-06-2013, 02:46 PM
My handles are terrible. Passing is decent. Shooting is inconsistent because i switch my jumper all the time but i just love to shoot on different ways. Im a good rebounder especially offense. i'm pretty quick so i can run the fast break.

Meaze_Gibson
08-06-2013, 02:47 PM
Plus if you play ball frequently you will become different things in order to win. If i play with the young dudes i might have to set screens and be more verbal. If i gotta bunch of dudes who can score i might focus more on d and boards. a bunch of tall dudes i might have to handle rock n make entry passes etc...I think whether it is a hobby or a job people should still put amount of practice or energy in it

MTar786
08-06-2013, 02:59 PM
i love working on my post moves, my fakes, triple threat moves and ofcourse my jumper which is already really good. my only problem is im terrible with my left and still refuse to actually put any effort toward my useless lefty game.

Goose17
08-06-2013, 03:00 PM

Honestly my jumper is awful. And I handle the ball like a quadriplegic. No matter how much I work/worked on my game those areas never seem to approve.

I enjoyed defending but my footwork needed work. Good at spreading the ball around.

There's a reason I'm on here and not playing in the NBA. That's all I'm saying.

Hawkeye15
08-06-2013, 03:13 PM

Me neither. I never took it that seriously but theres been a resurgence of late in basketball interest among my crew. Thinking about taking it to the next level.

If you are going to be a good player, you must practice each aspect of the game time and time again. I haven't played in years, but as a kid, teenager, and into my mid 20's, it was every day, all day.

For pickup/adult league ball, you don't need to have every move in the book. If your shot isn't very consistent, then pick one aspect of it you think you can become good at. Maybe it's spot up. Maybe its midrange pullup (you said your handles were good, this is an option), but you also have to be able to look defenders off. If you go stepping into a jumper and everyone in the gym knows its coming, too late.

I am only about 6', so I practiced a lot of hesitation to create spacing, step back dribble, and worked my body to be able to get a shot off quick as lightning.

I personally don't like watching the ball in the air after a shot, but no matter what you do, it has to be the same every time.

You can work on defense, but in pick up, that comes with just being in shape. I used to try and have my brother stand just a couple feet away and attempt to throw tennis balls by me, to develop hand speed. You can work on retreat/closeouts, just to get your body to remember naturally and keep the tendons awake. You can practice the slide to keep your lateral quickness high as well.

You can literally practice every aspect of the game alone. It just takes either being taught the drills, or coming up with ideas. I worked for a Developmental Basketball company for 3 summers teaching kids drills. I handled guards/wings. Just a ton of stuff, and each athlete needs to be addressed in different areas.

3RDASYSTEM
08-06-2013, 03:14 PM

How much did you actually play ball in HS? I only ask because from my past debates the ones who played never ever use PER or stuff because we can see who's the best big man or who can do more as a big man or what guard is over passer because he cant do nothing else really(but maybe dead eye jumper,spotting up) or the guard who has it all and cant be stopped

when you are working on you're game its dribbling side to side or length of court(the way you dribble-protect ball is good way,MAGIC style), shoot layup to midrange to 3's the entire time then last free throws when dead tired

when I go play its usually 2 or 3 guys(4 on 4) who switch off me everygame to guard me and they usually throw out the AI word at me since i'll have a pair on and im taking it to'em ,but I play hard regardless and with a lot of speed, chip on shoulder style

I use to shoot set shot like KERR now I got a cross mixed pull up shot/3pt

I use to be more deadly as set shooter but now I got more 'game' to go with that speed/dead eye shot, and I can still get up and hang on the rim(but I cant dunk)

now how good would you rank me? I would have to be a top 100 gym/park player of alltime right?

last time I played(seems like forever) this guy tried to throw me a alley oop in the game, I was like what the hell you thinking I cant dunk and he said well based on the warmups you were hanging on the rim with ease

3RDASYSTEM
08-06-2013, 03:17 PM
Jump shooting. I'm not small enough to play PG and not big enough to play down low, so I'm basically a spot up shooter. I like to think of myself as a Kyle Korver type player with an above average defensive game.

you speak on here like you don't know hardly nothing about ball, and now based on your fake KORVER type player I feel you're more of a JOHNSON style that CHI traded a year or so back

a spot up shooter with above d game? sounds like SCALABRINE

C_Mund
08-06-2013, 03:17 PM
I'm going to be 30 soon, I've always been an agile-but-slow tallish white dude, and I have a nagging childhood injury that slowed me down even more.

Any part of the game I typically work on could be considered "YMCA" type ball, but I truly love to shoot. I'm like a 6'3 Sabonis, but towards the end of his career.

Hawkeye15
08-06-2013, 03:18 PM
I probably spent a year of my life throwing curl passes to myself from the 15-18 foot area, and trying to make hard cuts and get the shot off on the catch haha. Needless to say, I was always money off the pass from midrange.

Goose17
08-06-2013, 03:18 PM
How much did you actually play ball in HS? I only ask because from my past debates the ones who played never ever use PER or stuff

I smell B.S

Everyone I know that played follows the advancements in statistical analysis.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, to rely solely on stats is just as ignorant as to dismiss them completely. You need to look at every aspect, including stats, to make a fair judgement.

IndyRealist
08-06-2013, 03:19 PM
Ball handling if I'm by myself. Small hands, need constant work just to be passable. If I've got a partner, pick n' pop. Love setting hard screens. If I've got 2, rebounding.

Hawkeye15
08-06-2013, 03:20 PM
How much did you actually play ball in HS? I only ask because from my past debates the ones who played never ever use PER or stuff because we can see who's the best big man or who can do more as a big man or what guard is over passer because he cant do nothing else really(but maybe dead eye jumper,spotting up) or the guard who has it all and cant be stopped

I played extensively and into college, and I use stats all the time. You guys do know, the best GM's in the game are short, fat white dudes typically, right? Never played basketball really. If anything, guys who played a lot rely on their instincts TOO much when evaluating the game.

Hawkeye15
08-06-2013, 03:21 PM
Ball handling if I'm by myself. Small hands, need constant work just to be passable. If I've got a partner, pick n' pop. Love setting hard screens. If I've got 2, rebounding.

small hands to cause you to continue to need to practice your handles, true. I have big enough hands to palm the ball on the catch, so it was never an issue.

Goose17
08-06-2013, 03:22 PM
If anything, guys who played a lot rely on their instincts TOO much when evaluating the game.

Perfect example = Michael Jordan.

lol!

3RDASYSTEM
08-06-2013, 03:23 PM
If you are going to be a good player, you must practice each aspect of the game time and time again. I haven't played in years, but as a kid, teenager, and into my mid 20's, it was every day, all day.

For pickup/adult league ball, you don't need to have every move in the book. If your shot isn't very consistent, then pick one aspect of it you think you can become good at. Maybe it's spot up. Maybe its midrange pullup (you said your handles were good, this is an option), but you also have to be able to look defenders off. If you go stepping into a jumper and everyone in the gym knows its coming, too late.

I am only about 6', so I practiced a lot of hesitation to create spacing, step back dribble, and worked my body to be able to get a shot off quick as lightning.

I personally don't like watching the ball in the air after a shot, but no matter what you do, it has to be the same every time.

You can work on defense, but in pick up, that comes with just being in shape. I used to try and have my brother stand just a couple feet away and attempt to throw tennis balls by me, to develop hand speed. You can work on retreat/closeouts, just to get your body to remember naturally and keep the tendons awake. You can practice the slide to keep your lateral quickness high as well.

You can literally practice every aspect of the game alone. It just takes either being taught the drills, or coming up with ideas. I worked for a Developmental Basketball company for 3 summers teaching kids drills. I handled guards/wings. Just a ton of stuff, and each athlete needs to be addressed in different areas.

now you do realize how difficult It is for a player to be under 6ft and have to get off a shot as the only scorer right? all that practicing you said you did was how AI got his off, all that creating space,stepback pullups and on and on

nobody hardly has that skill these days, RUSS will come down full blast and pull up but it looks more new and forced than natural like a IVERSON stop on a dime pull up

3RDASYSTEM
08-06-2013, 03:25 PM

lol!

Well what about MAGIC/BIRD as other examples who have had success when evaluating a players game? they had pretty good success, especially BIRD

Hawkeye15
08-06-2013, 03:27 PM
now you do realize how difficult It is for a player to be under 6ft and have to get off a shot as the only scorer right? all that practicing you said you did was how AI got his off, all that creating space,stepback pullups and on and on

nobody hardly has that skill these days, RUSS will come down full blast and pull up but it looks more new and forced than natural like a IVERSON stop on a dime pull up

Iverson had elite athletic ability. But I have seen you rank him top 5 all time before, so I really don't feel like even debating on him. We will never agree.

The difference between Iverson, Russell, and myself, is that they have around a million times more athletic ability than I do...

3RDASYSTEM
08-06-2013, 03:35 PM
I played extensively and into college, and I use stats all the time. You guys do know, the best GM's in the game are short, fat white dudes typically, right? Never played basketball really. If anything, guys who played a lot rely on their instincts TOO much when evaluating the game.

so you used these PER stats all your career or when the fat white dudes started putting out the BS or when you're extensive playing days were over? now if the fat white dude had his dad and both brothers and g'pa playing professional and ncaa heavy then that's a whole diff ballgame, but when you have fat white dudes who have been around and try to make PER the starting point(like in todays game) then that's when it becomes poppycock because no matter what the game will always be played on the court where you can do all the evaluating right there, no stats needed at all

I wish I could see you play just 5 minutes and I could tell you what you can and cant do and how good you are

guys who played usually go off of who's better or who can do more, who can put pressure on d, who can shoot, who rebounds or hustle hardest

and from the comments on here it looks like a lot of players are rebounders ,defenders and loves to set screens, talk about some avg players on here, or maybe they all(outside of you) the fat white dudes who never played but some reason are the best gm's

I bet they have been gm scientist for past 40yrs or did they just get involved with PER and analytical because they are so fat and bored and smart in life just to make up some petty ****?

you do know that this PER **** is petty? since when did I need to see a PER to figure out the game-impacT difference between WILT to ALCINDOR to DROB to DIVAC to ELDEN CAMPBELL to MARC GASOL to SHAQ? its like the PER people trying to convince me that HOWARD fell off and isn't the best C in the league, I can see he was hobbled and still the best, GASOL won DPOY and didn't make 1st team all defense, HOWARD has 3 DPOY and how many 1st teams didn't he make during those 3yrs? let me go get the old fat white dude to see if HOWARD qualified since they never played but know so much with this rocket science project

negative

Hawkeye15
08-06-2013, 03:40 PM
[QUOTE=3RDASYSTEM;26837029]so you used these PER stats all your career or when the fat white dudes started putting out the BS or when you're extensive playing days were over?

They didn't have much in advanced stats when I was playing/growing up. Hence why the game is more developed now..

now if the fat white dude had his dad and both brothers and g'pa playing professional and ncaa heavy then that's a whole diff ballgame, but when you have fat white dudes who have been around and try to make PER the starting point(like in todays game) then that's when it becomes poppycock because no matter what the game will always be played on the court where you can do all the evaluating right there, no stats needed at all

I get it, you hate PER, move on dude

I wish I could see you play just 5 minutes and I could tell you what you can and cant do and how good you are

I haven't played in 10years. At this point, I have no desire to, it would just piss me off how bad I would think I have become.

guys who played usually go off of who's better or who can do more, who can put pressure on d, who can shoot, who rebounds or hustle hardest

They go off whatever instincts or portions of the game are important to them, which is why ex-players who also then embrace advanced metrics will make successful GM's/Coaches. It's not an exact science, stats are simply another tool at your disposal. If you choose not to use them, you may very well miss things that your eyes don't catch.

and from the comments on here it looks like a lot of players are rebounders ,defenders and loves to set screens, talk about some avg players on here, or maybe they all(outside of you) the fat white dudes who never played but some reason are the best gm's

Don't get where you are going with this.

I bet they have been gm scientist for past 40yrs or did they just get involved with PER and analytical because they are so fat and bored and smart in life just to make up some petty ****?

From what I would guess, the stats driven MLB showed basketball analysts that number crunching can indeed benefit a sport, so the revolution began.

you do know that this PER **** is petty? since when did I need to see a PER to figure out the game-impacT difference between WILT to ALCINDOR to DROB to DIVAC to ELDEN CAMPBELL to MARC GASOL to SHAQ? its like the PER people trying to convince me that HOWARD fell off and isn't the best C in the league, I can see he was hobbled and still the best, GASOL won DPOY and didn't make 1st team all defense, HOWARD has 3 DPOY and how many 1st teams didn't he make during those 3yrs? let me go get the old fat white dude to see if HOWARD qualified since they never played but know so much with this rocket science project

negative

Who said there weren't great players and GM/Coaches before PER? You seem to have a vendetta against the number, I haven't read enough of your posts to understand why. As I stated above, advanced metrics are simply another tool, and a baseline when measuring.

3RDASYSTEM
08-06-2013, 03:43 PM
Iverson had elite athletic ability. But I have seen you rank him top 5 all time before, so I really don't feel like even debating on him. We will never agree.

The difference between Iverson, Russell, and myself, is that they have around a million times more athletic ability than I do...

IVERSON had everything I said he had, the elite athletic ability is what made him unreal at under 6ft, he shorter than you and played above the rim also right?

well damn you must be able to shoot because IVERSON had a flame thrower, RUSS W. not so much

difference between me and IVERSON and RUSS is that they played in the actual nba, while I just knew someone who played in the actual nba

IVERSON is in my top 15-20 group, and easily top 10

what is there to disagree on? you do understand what being a freakish athlete + freakish skill + freakish toughness + plus no fear play hard + under 6ft = IVERSON

how is that not a top 10 player all time? name a list right now of a player with those attributes all rolled into 1 player, and I bet it wont be a list of 10

boy you guys need to step up your bball game, HAWK you played way too much to not understand this

and I believe you when you spoke on your ball accolades

how can you not agree with that, I bet the only player you left off was IVERSON, I bet we share a similar top 10-20 list, so am I really pressing it by putting IVERSON on the list?

kdspurman
08-06-2013, 03:51 PM
I'm jelly. I can't really shoot those too well because of smaller hands. I can't palm a ball so it's hard to get the right accurate on the floaters/tears. Can you palm a ball?

That's what's funny, I can't palm a ball for the life of me I've got small hands :laugh2: It's more of a push off the hand floater, it's why I have to work on it a lot to keep the accuracy there. Watching TP do it a lot helps of course

Cubby
08-06-2013, 03:54 PM
I work on anything I can. :shrug:

I mean as a kid I was really athletic so I've always been great with my handles and passing, but I sucked at shooting. Now I shoot whenever I practice and I shoot from everywhere. Low post work as well for when I match up with guys my size or smaller. Escape dribbles moves, step backs, finishing moves around the rim. Euro steps/finishing with them and hop steps have been on my list lately as well. Also working out, getting stronger and quicker to get better.

I mean I can't really point to one thing. The prospect of getting good at everything has been something to behold for me so calling upon one aspect of my game that I love to work on is kinda, I don't know, difficult.

If I HAD to choose one thing, it'd definitely be post work. I love being able to get to where I want, put my defender where I want him, and make my move (been working on the Dream Shake not gonna lie :laugh2:), whether it's a fake and turn back or just a little post hook after a shimmy.

3RDASYSTEM
08-06-2013, 03:55 PM
[QUOTE]

They didn't have much in advanced stats when I was playing/growing up. Hence why the game is more developed now..

I get it, you hate PER, move on dude

I haven't played in 10years. At this point, I have no desire to, it would just piss me off how bad I would think I have become.

They go off whatever instincts or portions of the game are important to them, which is why ex-players who also then embrace advanced metrics will make successful GM's/Coaches. It's not an exact science, stats are simply another tool at your disposal. If you choose not to use them, you may very well miss things that your eyes don't catch.

Don't get where you are going with this.

From what I would guess, the stats driven MLB showed basketball analysts that number crunching can indeed benefit a sport, so the revolution began.

Who said there weren't great players and GM/Coaches before PER? You seem to have a vendetta against the number, I haven't read enough of your posts to understand why. As I stated above, advanced metrics are simply another tool, and a baseline when measuring.

More developed or more confusion? its like USA saying they have advanced and moved past racism since back 100's of years, have they advanced or caused more confusion by sweeping it under the rug? that's how PER is to me, just here to cause confusion like JUDAS to JESUS type ****, the game hasn't developed **** but a false sense of money greeed and plenty of dis loyal human beings

don't hate PER at all just wise enough to know its confusion when comparing players, you guys use PER to compare and rank and judge players against each other, how ****ing dumb is that? I can go to the gym right now and put you in a group of 5 and can tell you whos the best and whos not and who can do what

how in the hell will a PER help me do that? its just you are infatuated with PER, it does nothing for me so why would I hate it?

I feel same way, I've played a handful of times in past 10yrs it seems and still have the same game outside the nba, now imagine those supergood players I mentioned being that good since pre NBA? what does PER have to do with that?

don't know where im going with it? from the comments on here by other so called players and how they play, like sloan hustler diving type players, poison pill contract type players if that

now you are starting to understand the monkey see monkey do mental in sports, it came from MLB and now to NBA and to NFL, the dumb domino effect works everytime, just ask AMERICA

You cant be this dumb? just read you're last quote and its going along with what im saying, the players played,scored,assisted, rebounded and won titles before the PER so why would I need it now to decipher JORDAN 29.5 PER to LEBRON 31.4? what the **** is that doing for me that my eyes missed out on?

and if my eyes did miss anything i'll just turn on a bball show and they will show breakdowns from games and how this and that happened, not a big deal at all, like JAWS does for QB's and HOGE does the same

but I get it let me see that PER so I can tell you how dominant LEBRON is

just pure whackness

let me see KD 50-90-40 stat so I can at least know he is an 'elite' shooter(guess you didn't 'watch' much at TEXAS), then only to see that 50-90-40 get magically taken away from him against the GRIZZ or is he still that type of shooter even though it didn't look like it? of course he is, those stats don't mean **** when I have been watching KD since TEXAS debut in NCAA

Hawkeye15
08-06-2013, 03:57 PM
IVERSON had everything I said he had, the elite athletic ability is what made him unreal at under 6ft, he shorter than you and played above the rim also right?

well damn you must be able to shoot because IVERSON had a flame thrower, RUSS W. not so much

difference between me and IVERSON and RUSS is that they played in the actual nba, while I just knew someone who played in the actual nba

IVERSON is in my top 15-20 group, and easily top 10

what is there to disagree on? you do understand what being a freakish athlete + freakish skill + freakish toughness + plus no fear play hard + under 6ft = IVERSON

how is that not a top 10 player all time? name a list right now of a player with those attributes all rolled into 1 player, and I bet it wont be a list of 10

boy you guys need to step up your bball game, HAWK you played way too much to not understand this

and I believe you when you spoke on your ball accolades

how can you not agree with that, I bet the only player you left off was IVERSON, I bet we share a similar top 10-20 list, so am I really pressing it by putting IVERSON on the list?

Iverson is a top 30-50 player ever. But I am not putting much thought into exactly where he fits there.

It's not about attributes. I respected Iverson for his style of play, and how tough he was, but he didn't give nearly as much production, or have nearly the same impact, as a lot of other players. And using any one stat to say one player is better than another, unless you are talking about a specific part of the game, is not going to work.

Anyways, this is getting off topic, so I really don't wish to continue a stats argument, or another AI argument in here.

Cubby
08-06-2013, 03:58 PM
Like Hawkeye said, if you want to be the best player in a pickup game, you gotta work on everything. That's the bottom line.

I mean, if you're limited in what you can do, find something you can do. For instance, if you aren't very athletic, try becoming more of a spot up guy and working on your shot every time you can.

However, if you're athletic, that opens up a lot of doors because you can be an all-around player. At that point, work on everything.

Hawkeye15
08-06-2013, 04:01 PM
Like Hawkeye said, if you want to be the best player in a pickup game, you gotta work on everything. That's the bottom line.

I mean, if you're limited in what you can do, find something you can do. For instance, if you aren't very athletic, try becoming more of a spot up guy and working on your shot every time you can.

However, if you're athletic, that opens up a lot of doors because you can be an all-around player. At that point, work on everything.

Well, athletic ability doesn't solve everything. IQ, hand size, natural ability in certain areas, etc are also important. I always had a soft touch, and could shoot from anywhere. But, I wasn't great when I attacked the rim, because I would get tunnel vision. It depends on your natural tendencies as well.

That being said, athletic ability is the best baseline to have if you are going to be an awesome player.

Chacarron
08-06-2013, 04:02 PM
I shoot with my left hand but cannot make a layup with that hand to save my life (I do most things with right hand/foot). My handles are okay with both hands but since I shoot left, I see myself constantly dribbling left. Therefore, I've been working on my left-handed layups.

Sergio1984
08-06-2013, 04:03 PM
I need to work on my jumper, I never shoot the ball the same back to back times very often. I can easily get to the hole so people always play off of me because they know my jumper is inconsistent and if they play up close I easily go around them but I also get hacked every time I go to the hole so most times I dish off to whoever is open.

tredigs
08-06-2013, 04:05 PM
When I played seriously when I was a lil younger I used to have someone shoot from 3 and then try to box out a bigger player (normally an older buddy or friends dad), get the board, sprint it up to halfcourt (always whatever hand of the side you got the board on) then outlet to that shooter cutting to the hoop. It was an awesome drill for learning the angles on the bounces, working on dribbling + cutting passes and just tiring you the **** out. Sometimes you switch it up and just take it the full court for a spot up or layup to mix it up. I was a PG/SG who was always the best rebounder/defender for my size and a good passer, but streaky as all hell as a shooter. Probably should've spent more time on that shot.

Hawkeye15
08-06-2013, 04:08 PM
I shoot with my left hand but cannot make a layup with that hand to save my life (I do most things with right hand/foot). My handles are okay with both hands but since I shoot left, I see myself constantly dribbling left. Therefore, I've been working on my left-handed layups.

that is weird, that you don't finish well with your strong hand.

I am different, I am right handed, and from an early age, overpracticed dribbling with my left hand to make sure it was equal. It ended up passing my right hand because of the extensive practice. I used to put these horrible looking scuba goggles on, with black electric tape on the bottom so I couldn't look down, and dribble two balls up and down the driveway, practice crossovers, hesitation, spin moves, and anything else I could think of. I would have my dad, who was 6'6", hold a broom stick and close out on me when I shot jumpers in the driveway whenever he would have time, everything I could do to get better.

Alas, my lack of athletic ability ultimately stopped me from playing after college. Oh well. Life goes on.

Chronz
08-06-2013, 04:14 PM
Honestly my jumper is awful. And I handle the ball like a quadriplegic. No matter how much I work/worked on my game those areas never seem to approve.

I enjoyed defending but my footwork needed work. Good at spreading the ball around.

There's a reason I'm on here and not playing in the NBA. That's all I'm saying.

Yea but you gotta keep it relative to where you play. My left hand is still alil suspect, so its still a weakness but ball handling is still the strongest part of my own game. I've always been decent at it, my fondest childhood memories were of driving through crowds of kids and finding a layup at the end of it.

But yea, most of us dont really have the time to work on our game, the best practice I get is by actually playing. Still, instead of running my routine 2-3 miles on the treadmill, I could head to the courts and burn calories that way.

Chacarron
08-06-2013, 04:15 PM
that is weird, that you don't finish well with your strong hand.

I am different, I am right handed, and from an early age, overpracticed dribbling with my left hand to make sure it was equal. It ended up passing my right hand because of the extensive practice. I used to put these horrible looking scuba goggles on, with black electric tape on the bottom so I couldn't look down, and dribble two balls up and down the driveway, practice crossovers, hesitation, spin moves, and anything else I could think of. I would have my dad, who was 6'6", hold a broom stick and close out on me when I shot jumpers in the driveway whenever he would have time, everything I could do to get better.

Alas, my lack of athletic ability ultimately stopped me from playing after college. Oh well. Life goes on.

The thing is I am right handed. I used to shoot right handed and I was terrible. A friend of mine told me to start shooting with my left and I just kept practicing until I got my shot to fall.

Hawkeye15
08-06-2013, 04:17 PM
The thing is I am right handed. I used to shoot right handed and I was terrible. A friend of mine told me to start shooting with my left and I just kept practicing until I got my shot to fall.

interesting. Maybe I should have told my brother that. He sucks at shooting, but was an awesome defender and ball handler.

3RDASYSTEM
08-06-2013, 04:18 PM

lol!

you're annoying, bringin up JORDAN but not other players who have fared excellent when evaluating 'the players game'

if you couldn't tell JORDAN **** on the court how In the **** could you tell him anything with him running the front office?

Chronz
08-06-2013, 04:19 PM

when you are working on you're game its dribbling side to side or length of court(the way you dribble-protect ball is good way,MAGIC style), shoot layup to midrange to 3's the entire time then last free throws when dead tired

when I go play its usually 2 or 3 guys(4 on 4) who switch off me everygame to guard me and they usually throw out the AI word at me since i'll have a pair on and im taking it to'em ,but I play hard regardless and with a lot of speed, chip on shoulder style

I use to shoot set shot like KERR now I got a cross mixed pull up shot/3pt

I use to be more deadly as set shooter but now I got more 'game' to go with that speed/dead eye shot, and I can still get up and hang on the rim(but I cant dunk)

now how good would you rank me? I would have to be a top 100 gym/park player of alltime right?

last time I played(seems like forever) this guy tried to throw me a alley oop in the game, I was like what the hell you thinking I cant dunk and he said well based on the warmups you were hanging on the rim with ease
ur crazy man. thats like me saying those who think numbers dont matter prolly failed anything beyond simple arithmetic. even if it holds true for someone, it dont mean you should stereotype people.

as for ball handling, i think its mroe about momentum and dictating your movement on where hes trying to lead you. like CP3. MAGIC didn't have a lower base so I dont like using his attack style.

Goose17
08-06-2013, 04:22 PM
@ 3RDASYSTEM you're certainly not getting one of my goose eggs now!

Seriously though, I was just toying with you. Apologies if you were offended, just trying to lighten up the otherwise intense discussion.

Chronz
08-06-2013, 04:23 PM
you speak on here like you don't know hardly nothing about ball, and now based on your fake KORVER type player I feel you're more of a JOHNSON style that CHI traded a year or so back

a spot up shooter with above d game? sounds like SCALABRINE

I used to compare myself to Quinton Ross. Who are you?

D-Leethal
08-06-2013, 04:24 PM
I have a lights out jumper with little to no off the dribble scoring skills or handles. Don't play all that often anymore but I learned 20-30 minute non stop 12-7-4 drill that pretty much refined your finishing skills around the rim. Lefty/Righty layups, hooks, baby hooks, reverse layups, spin-to-layup, finger rolls drop steps, power dribbles etc...

Pretty awesome drill and if you do that before you play 5 on 5 you were always on point. So much more effective than your average 'shoot around'.

amos1er
Posting in basketball forums. lol

ILLUSIONIST^248
The only thing this thread is proving, is how looney 3rdsystem is.

3RDASYSTEM
this is the thread where it shows that psd is a joke of a bball playing forum

and now im getting my posts deleted for reasons to 'chill out'

damn its police patrol on psd also

Goose17
if you couldn't tell JORDAN **** on the court how In the **** could you tell him anything with him running the front office?

My point was he played and could read guys well, but he can't evaluate talent for spit.

As I said, you need to use both stats and your own instincts when making those sort of decisions, relying on one without the other is ignorance.

3RDASYSTEM
08-06-2013, 04:25 PM
The only thing this thread is proving, is how lunny 3rdsystem is.

says the illusionist

ILLUSIONIST^248
08-06-2013, 04:26 PM
says the illusionist

... Everyone but you seems to think you're crazy.

D-Leethal
08-06-2013, 04:27 PM
Also as far as team drills my favorite (outside of situational late clock execution drills) were the 2 on 1 + 1 or 3 on 2 + 1 drills.

One team would be back on defense undermanned while the other team dribbled up the court simulating a fast break scenario 'with numbers'. Once the offense (who had the 1 man advantage) crossed half court, a player from the defense would run from the halfcourt baseline to the mid court circle, touch the floor and sprint back on D to help his undermanned teammates. Obviously, its designed to improve your fast break skills and learn how to dribble it up in the middle of the floor, fill the lanes on the wings, and you should never need more than two quick touch passes for an open layup. Drill is highly effective and fun as ****.

Chronz
08-06-2013, 04:28 PM
I probably spent a year of my life throwing curl passes to myself from the 15-18 foot area, and trying to make hard cuts and get the shot off on the catch haha. Needless to say, I was always money off the pass from midrange.
Always loved pin downs.

Hawkeye15
08-06-2013, 04:28 PM

and now im getting my posts deleted for reasons to 'chill out'

damn its police patrol on psd also

his was too. chill out dude, lets drop it guys

Goose17
08-06-2013, 04:29 PM

Why? Because people don't agree with your personal opinion?

I Rock Shaqs
08-06-2013, 04:30 PM
Well when I am not injured which rarely happens because I have the knees of a 90 year old man, and I broke my shooting elbow and wrist 2 years ago. So definitely foot work and ability to shoot of the dribble, when you're great at spot up shooting but you have no counter move when they play up on you you're basically useless.

amos1er
08-06-2013, 04:33 PM
... Everyone but you seems to think you're crazy.

lol Ya, he is on one. He actually thinks Iverson is a top 5 player of all time. He will even give you some long winded looney explanation as to why... with random words bolded in one long rant with no sentence structure or paragraphs of course.

3RDASYSTEM
08-06-2013, 04:35 PM
My point was he played and could read guys well, but he can't evaluate talent for spit.

As I said, you need to use both stats and your own instincts when making those sort of decisions, relying on one without the other is ignorance.

you defenders need to go work on defense

JORDAN didn't read anybody well, he drafted adam/Kwame...enough said

how can you read people well but not evaluate the talent of that player? was JORDAN getting his D WARWICK on court then, mind reader JORDAN?

Hawkeye15
08-06-2013, 04:35 PM
Always loved pin downs.

Me too. Easiest way to score for me personally. I guess the player my game resembled the best, that is well known, is Rip Hamilton.

I learned the pin downs at basketball camp when I was around 12. The "Larry Bird" drill

3RDASYSTEM
08-06-2013, 04:38 PM
lol Ya, he is on one. He actually thinks Iverson is a top 5 player of all time. He will even give you some long winded looney explanation as to why... with random words bolded in one long rant with no sentence structure or paragraphs of course.

Not top

best of the best in my 15-20 group and is best 10, go ask DALY

the same DALY who beat JORDAN/BIRD/MAGIC( in they PSD prime) not when they got old as mummy dust

the same DALY who coached original DREAM TEAM, and the same coach who put the beatdown JORDAN rules in effect, the same rules he used against IVERSON

that same IVERSON player he said was a top 10 player all time in history

im sure DALY knows 1000000000000000000000x more about a players game-impact than all the screen setting nose diving to the floor players on here, including yourself

Hawkeye15
08-06-2013, 04:39 PM
please don't turn this into an Iverson debate dude.

3RDASYSTEM
08-06-2013, 04:41 PM
Me too. Easiest way to score for me personally. I guess the player my game resembled the best, that is well known, is Rip Hamilton.

I learned the pin downs at basketball camp when I was around 12. The "Larry Bird" drill

IVERSON did that also

I don't think you guys understand or even begin to realize how much he moved without ball baseline to baseline and everywhere they could think of

I told you he scored like RIP/MILLER/JORDAN/BRON/WADE/KD all in 1 player under 6ft

keep talking it helps me out a lot, as long as they don't delete me for not 'chilling out'

damn I guess the truth hurts so lets censor it

and everybody on here saying all this **** about I don't know what im talking about, prove it

show me anything I say about IVERSON or LEBRON or JORDAN that isn't true

and i'll show you where it is true

show me where IVERSON didn't have freakish skill or athletic ability or wasn't tough as rusty nail?

3RDASYSTEM
08-06-2013, 04:44 PM
please don't turn this into an Iverson debate dude.

how is this a IVERSON debate?

nevermind he could do all this on here at superflight level and we are talking about what we work on and then like most debates on here other athletes get talked about

its like a fear when IVERSON gets mentioned, like damn I don't want to admit to this **** again, or refute to make it go away quickly

this can turn into a HAWK debate, it would still end the same way

3RDASYSTEM
08-06-2013, 04:46 PM

you think bean is a top 5 player alltime

that backupguard

wait nevermind IVERSON was a backup guard also, my bad

no way in hell IVERSON can be a top 20 player alltime being a backup, my apologies to the top 20 alltime family

JWorthy42
08-06-2013, 04:47 PM
Shooting, floaters, tear drops.

3RDASYSTEM
08-06-2013, 04:50 PM
Why? Because people don't agree with your personal opinion?

do I need to copy and paste all these 'screen setters' and 'rebounders' quotes? or the ones one here claiming they can play D? i'll make all you guys fall

why do people have to agree with me? if that's the case I wouldn't say anything about anybody different but it seems to be the opposite and then all the girls get mad and make punk *** slick comments because I guess the truths hurts they girly feelings

if I respond to you back its not because im mad you didn't agree wit me, its just me trying to show my view of it rather you agree or not im still saying the same thing because its how I feel based on what I watched for years and played for years

isn't this a debate forum? or a one word diss hip hop site?

I don't want anybody to agree with me, I like to be peerless or roll alone

Gibby23
08-06-2013, 04:52 PM
When playing pickup and I am not in the PG role, I like to run around and on offense and flash to an open area and if I get the ball on time, I get an open shot. If I am the biggest guy on the team I will work on the left block. On defense, I like to guard the best shooter or fastest guy, Im not that fast, but I am tall and have long arms and it makes it harder for players to get a good shot off on me and my long arms help me recover quicker if I get beat.

Gibby23
08-06-2013, 04:53 PM
how is this a IVERSON debate?

nevermind he could do all this on here at superflight level and we are talking about what we work on and then like most debates on here other athletes get talked about

its like a fear when IVERSON gets mentioned, like damn I don't want to admit to this **** again, or refute to make it go away quickly

this can turn into a HAWK debate, it would still end the same way

You are not even in the right thread.

ILLUSIONIST^248
08-06-2013, 05:17 PM
Not top

best of the best in my 15-20 group and is best 10, go ask DALY

the same DALY who beat JORDAN/BIRD/MAGIC( in they PSD prime) not when they got old as mummy dust

the same DALY who coached original DREAM TEAM, and the same coach who put the beatdown JORDAN rules in effect, the same rules he used against IVERSON

that same IVERSON player he said was a top 10 player all time in history

im sure DALY knows 1000000000000000000000x more about a players game-impact than all the screen setting nose diving to the floor players on here, including yourself

:facepalm: Everyone needs to put this guy on their ignore list.

tr3ymill3r
08-06-2013, 05:24 PM
JUMPSOLES, they actually worked. I'm 5'11" and white, at the end of my sophomore year I could barely touch the bottom of the rim on a good day. I worked my butt off and I could dunk on a good day after a good sweat, nothing ferocious but a regular dunk you'd expect from a 5'11" white guy. They also helped with lateral movement and quickness on defense. Aside from that it was just finding a court and getting shots up and playing against anyone in the park.

Hawkeye15
08-06-2013, 05:26 PM
Shooting, floaters, tear drops.

are you Tony Parker?

Hawkeye15
08-06-2013, 05:27 PM
JUMPSOLES, they actually worked. I'm 5'11" and white, at the end of my sophomore year I could barely touch the bottom of the rim on a good day. I worked my butt off and I could dunk on a good day after a good sweat, nothing ferocious but a regular dunk you'd expect from a 5'11" white guy. They also helped with lateral movement and quickness on defense. Aside from that it was just finding a court and getting shots up and playing against anyone in the park.

they do work okay. Plyometrics do as well.

Gibby23
08-06-2013, 06:22 PM
they do work okay. Plyometrics do as well.

Plyometrics while wearing jumpsoles.

amos1er
08-06-2013, 08:30 PM
you think bean is a top 5 player alltime

that backupguard

wait nevermind IVERSON was a backup guard also, my bad

no way in hell IVERSON can be a top 20 player alltime being a backup, my apologies to the top 20 alltime family

Lol So the entire basis of your argument for Iverson over Kobe is that he started as a back up guard. Oh my.

You do realize that Kobe was 17 when he came into the NBA right?

amos1er
08-06-2013, 08:32 PM
:facepalm: Everyone needs to put this guy on their ignore list.

Haha right. Iverson top 10... LMAO!!!

mizzacNYC
08-06-2013, 09:08 PM
To bring the thread back to its beginning, I'd say working on handle is the most fun... If you lack in handle there are so many entertaining ways to develop. Aside from the 2 ball & 3 ball drills, you can use 1 ball and accomplish the desired skill set with proper training. And all of it is fun.

For myself, a H.S. varsity starting PG, and D2 starting PG (1 year of college). I had my most productive and entertaining training right on the block. Pole to Pole is what we called it. 2 on 1, no fouls called, make it from street Pole to street Pole and mission accomplished. Those other 2 guys were also excellent athletes who knew my every move. So the drill would challenge you to improvise your dribble to escape a trap from 2 players that were basically your mirror. We would do this fill speed for hours at a time every night for multiple summers.

Pole to Pole was the best, I'm 36 now an would probably past out after 2 tries at this point, it worked your stamina, toughness, handling and dribble moves mercilessly. That with more traditional drills to equally develop both hands would allow you to get to anywhere on the court you needed to go. In game situations with just 1 defender on you was like a cake walk compared to Pole to Pole...

Hawkeye15
08-06-2013, 09:45 PM
To bring the thread back to its beginning, I'd say working on handle is the most fun... If you lack in handle there are so many entertaining ways to develop. Aside from the 2 ball & 3 ball drills, you can use 1 ball and accomplish the desired skill set with proper training. And all of it is fun.

For myself, a H.S. varsity starting PG, and D2 starting PG (1 year of college). I had my most productive and entertaining training right on the block. Pole to Pole is what we called it. 2 on 1, no fouls called, make it from street Pole to street Pole and mission accomplished. Those other 2 guys were also excellent athletes who knew my every move. So the drill would challenge you to improvise your dribble to escape a trap from 2 players that were basically your mirror. We would do this fill speed for hours at a time every night for multiple summers.

Pole to Pole was the best, I'm 36 now an would probably past out after 2 tries at this point, it worked your stamina, toughness, handling and dribble moves mercilessly. That with more traditional drills to equally develop both hands would allow you to get to anywhere on the court you needed to go. In game situations with just 1 defender on you was like a cake walk compared to Pole to Pole...

sounds rough dude. I used to do a drill that Pitino at Kentucky invented all the time. You do 16 (8 back and forths) full court layups, with only 4 dribbles allowed to take the court. I would freaking die right now if I did it, and I run 4 times a week, lift weights, and practice Tai Chi and Bagua 4 times a week. Its that hard.

ChiSox219
08-06-2013, 09:46 PM
Right now I'm using a 6lb medicine ball as a basketball to better develop a few aspects of the game. Main benefit is ballhandling. What I enjoy working on most is unconventional layups and playing the glass. My go to move is a euro step finishing off my left foot with my left hand, it's hard to block and tricks a lot of people because I'm right handed.

R. Johnson#3
08-06-2013, 09:56 PM
Been a jump shooter my whole life. Only last year I really started working on a post game. I'd say right now I love working on post moves. I play guard but whenever I have a smaller defender, I back them down now.

topdog
08-06-2013, 11:23 PM
I guess I need to work on my ego because I don't think I'm great like everybody else here. As Chronz said initially, they all kind of come together unless you're dribbling in a dark basement or have someone rebounding the ball as you shoot jumpers.

As an unathletic 5'10" nobody, I enjoy developing creative new ways to score against more athletic opponents. Euro-steps, rip-throughs and step-backs all help to create that old man game that every average guy needs to earn a little credibility on the court.

Oh, and I love working on the classic Steve Nash pull-up shot off one foot - this thing: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UF_-hRrk9HQ

bucketss
08-06-2013, 11:33 PM
after having watched the king play basketball for so long, i have worked heavily on my passing game, this has resulted in me being picked 1st on pick up games, and team mates raving about how fun it is to play with me, ohh and we also usually win;)

JAZZNC
08-07-2013, 12:31 AM
Step back jumper, finishing/dribbling with my left hand, and hook shots with both hands. Being 5'9 and horribly unathletic since HS knee injury gotta work on ways to get your shot off!

Bishnoff
08-07-2013, 12:49 AM
Shooting.

ThuglifeJ
08-07-2013, 01:14 AM
If you're needing work with handles do in-and-out dribble then crossover between legs to left, in-and out dribble (w left hand) then crossover back under legs to right. Repeat this while moving forward at own speed.

With Shooting, don't think so much. Everyone has a natural stroke of their own u have to find. An elite shooter is able to feel like he's reaching into the hoop on his shot, once you feel this you have no reason to doubt your shot. Do things outside of basketball that raise your confidence. You'll be surprised what confidence can do to your overall game.

Both those tips will work wonders. But remember, things you can do in 21 do not always translate to 5v5 basketball.

I help train highschoolers at local camps where I grew up. Played college d2 for a couple years and stopped because it wasn't going anywhere and focused on school like many, bexause I was a 6 3 combo guard.

Also don't play everyday like many try Your body won't get stronger without rest. Your shot will be better with flexible rested muscles as well

b@llhog24
08-07-2013, 01:37 AM
I hate practicing ball handling, so essentially I work on ways to score that would limit how much I have to do it. Shooting jumpers(albeit an inconsistent one to say the least), cutting, come off of screens and working out of the high-mid post area. I take great pride in D, more so in the Bron type of mold whereby I'm not focused on any individual player (don't care if I get scored on) but just communicating on D, picking up blown rotations, etc.

Clippersfan86
08-07-2013, 01:51 AM
I hate practicing ball handling, so essentially I work on ways to score that would limit how much I have to do it. Shooting jumpers(albeit an inconsistent one to say the least), cutting, come off of screens and working out of the high-mid post area. I take great pride in D, more so in the Bron type of mold whereby I'm not focused on any individual player (don't care if I get scored on) but just communicating on D, picking up blown rotations, etc.

It's so damn tedious huh? Working on ball handling feels like such a massive chore to me lol.

JWorthy42
08-30-2013, 03:52 AM
are you Tony Parker?

Nah, its just I am usually the smallest guy on the court, and having a nice array of floaters and tear drops helps to score on the drive over the big fellas.

arlubas
08-30-2013, 05:10 AM
My shot is so inconsistent that I've given up on it ever becoming something I can rely on on the regular. I have accepted the fact that there will be days when I'll be lights out and others when I won't be able to hit almost anything from mid range and further.

That's why my game is based on other stuff mostly. Hard nosed defense and rebounding/hustling is the thing I enjoy the most, cause I enjoy doing the dirty work and I find great pleasure in stopping a good player from scoring in consecutive plays. Offensively I rely mostly on drives and post ups. I also have a pretty good step back move but due to my inconsistent shot it doesn't always get used.

All in all I would say that what I have now is all a product of work since I started playing at an advanced age (14-15 years old) so I went from a static shooter who could do anything else (and trust me, there was nothing else on my game back then) to a pretty nice guy to have on a pickup game. Up until I was 25 I didn't even know what a post up was and my left hand was as useless as one can get. But after working on it my post game has become a steady contributor to my offensive arsenal and the funny thing is that I'm more accurate going left than right, while on the post. Another thing that was grown immensely by practice is my passing and my dribbling, while nothing mind blowing, is pretty decent at this point in time. I also try to work on new moves that will come in handy in in-game situations, high difficulty shots, situations after the earned rebound, that sort of stuff.

It's all a matter of how much you want to improve and how many hours you dedicate to it really. And when your work pays off, it's the best feeling in the world, if you're a hoops junkie like myself.

But if you are not playing for anything it is pointless to work on your game. Most people just get a ball and put up jumpers.
What on earth are you talking about? Most of us won't play for a team professionally. You work on your game for the personal satisfaction of pushing yourself and accomplishing more things on the basketball court every time you set foot on it. If you don't do it for the love of the game then chances are you probably won't be there trying to improve in the first place.

PurpleLynch
08-30-2013, 07:51 AM
I enjoy shooting,but I work on my dribbles right now,my biggest weakness.

Hawkeye15
08-30-2013, 10:40 AM
I enjoy working on setting picks and diving for loose balls

BGeer091
08-30-2013, 10:52 AM
I work on my jumper a lot. Like at least 3x a week I shoot. About 4 years ago I decided to work on shooting with my off hand. It for me was a mistake because it ruined my shot completely. Ive finally gotten back to the same old stroke I had before.

I love working on step back jumpers, floaters, and post fades. I never played in high school because I had to work. Ive played in local summer leagues and have done well. I scored 48 in a game once. The guy who was supposed to defend me was a schoolmate of mine in high school. He showed me no respect and I literally was open every time. I mean wide open.

TheMightyHumph
08-30-2013, 12:15 PM
The mute button

Isammm
08-30-2013, 12:47 PM
3 Point Shooting! Celtics are my team but I LOVED watching the Spurs play last season. Gr33n, Manu, Neal, Bonner, Leonard, and Diaw.

BULLSFAN0810
08-30-2013, 06:28 PM
When I played many moons ago, I watched the games that came on TV. I saw all of the Bulls games, but I would love NBA on NBC Saturdays. I would watch the games and pay attention to the commentators because, they would break down foot work, Shot selection, tendencies, and sometimes of your lucky they'd point out a move a player does and slow it down for you to learn. What I did was play ball, and through the season I would do what I picked up easily, and In the offseason I would do something like work left. Left hand dribbling, laying it up lefty and working on a floater/left handed jumper free throw in. ... I love basket ball ninjas

bloomis1307
08-30-2013, 06:36 PM
I've been working on the euro step some, step back jumpers or jumpers off the dribble, and trying to increase my range a little.

jerellh528
08-30-2013, 07:16 PM
post moves, then shooting, then defense. I hate working on handles.

Eagles4Lyfe
08-30-2013, 07:21 PM
Cross overs.
I don't plan on how I'm going to attack, just instincts kick in on which way to shift.
When I was a teenager I was a sick shooter, adopted the name Ray Allen n Peja on the streets. But was neverhad amazing handles, got by people of speed a lot but last couple years, with the decline in speed, I've worked on my handles more and have gotten better creative moves.

Kashmir13579
08-30-2013, 08:27 PM
I honestly haven't worked on my game since high school. I was never that good anyway. My jumpshot is nice but other than that i just didn't have the dexterity or quickness. I barely got off the bench in HS. I was much better at soccer and lax, but basketball has always been my favorite sport to play. I wish i got out more this summer. I barely touched a basketball.

Bruno
08-30-2013, 08:37 PM
dream shake, hook shot, up and under, 13 foot pull up off the dribble (I shoot at a 25% clip outside of 13 feet).

proportionate to the usual competition i'm lamar odom but not as good on the glass.

DreamShaker
08-30-2013, 09:35 PM
I helped coach basketball for one season at a private school. Very fun. Kids enjoyed layup drills the most. I enjoy practicing post moves myself, as I grew up watching Hakeem, and am a bigger guy. I enjoy pump fakes and hooks and fadeaways. I'm out of shape, but love playing still. I also like setting picks and passing. When people see me I'm often ..asked if I played offensive line or if I am a pro wrestler...so I enjoy using my size, since I am slow and am a streak shooter at best. But I don't play near as much since I got my new job and got married.

b@llhog24
09-02-2013, 01:15 AM

It's so damn tedious huh? Working on ball handling feels like such a massive chore to me lol.

Pretty much. Lol.

b@llhog24
09-02-2013, 01:16 AM
I enjoy working on setting picks and diving for loose balls

Pssh. Liar.

Heediot
09-02-2013, 05:59 AM
Attacking the rim with my left hand and long range shooting.

bagwell368
09-02-2013, 08:18 AM
Money shots from the old days - right handed 14' jump hooks, left handed 3 pointers from foul line extended, up and under dunks.. and of course foul shots, if you're going to coach, you better have spot on mechanics and results on those.

Still can't play/scrimmage but considering I could barely walk between 2005 and six months ago, I'll take it.

ztilzer31
09-02-2013, 09:53 AM
I like working on passing and handles when I'm playing with my buddies... I also like working on my post game, but I'm only 5 foot 10 so it's kind of pointless. I also have short arms...

I'm built for baseball more than any other sport, but in knowing that I always go 110% when I play a pickup game or something. I figure if you don't have the greatest size/skills giving the most energy always gives you an advantage.

Hawkeye15
09-02-2013, 02:09 PM
Pssh. Liar.

my scouting report read:

"Sets good picks. Sweats a lot."

Sly Guy
09-02-2013, 02:35 PM
I just like to play more than work on anything. I thrive on the competition, not the repetitive motions of making shots, dribbling around or whatever. But if there's one out of game aspect that stands out most of all, it's probably the time spent in the gym making myself ready to out jump, outrun, out muscle and outlast whoever I'm playing againt.

Trueblue2
09-04-2013, 03:42 AM
Handles, more specifically moves to the basket. I'm 6'0' so I'm normally shorter than the people I play against but I'm also a lot stronger so I still like to put my back to the basket when guarded by someone of equal height so I can use my strength advantage. It's normally pretty easy for me to power by someone else playing G, if the help is late I make an easy lay up, I'm still mastering the kick out pass for when the help comes on time.

bagwell368
09-04-2013, 06:54 AM

You tried this argument last year. I started JV as a Freshman and Varsity as a Soph and Sr (hurt as a Jr); then grew 3 inches over the summer, and walked on to a D1 team as a sub as a Fr and So, and tore the meniscus of my right ankle and had a 3rd degree sprain of my ACL on the same play. Didn't have any surgery and it took about 5 years to get any vertical back, then started playing pick up at BCH (Boston City Hosptial) with the likes of Tiny Archibald and Terry Duerod (x pros).

Got into advanced metrics through baseball first in the early 90's, finally warmed up to basketball metrics about 4 years ago - mostly to foster debating points, since w/o them the variation on the perception/understanding of various posters is so different from each other as to make debates semi worthless much of the time.

It seems to me you have spoiled this thread with your AI nonsense. AI was a talented guy, very much so. But the way he choose to work it on the court in 5 on 5 was chock full of holes and informed largely by his own selfish aims. I wouldn't have him on my team, and if I was forced to make 5 man teams from the top of the NBA hierarchy he would go until team #26 or so. I'd take Cheeks, DJ, and a host of others before I would go near that volume shooting erratic violent POS. Take the debate to the correct thread.

cvburg
09-04-2013, 08:14 AM
College coach called me shorter fatter white Tim Duncan was like 7th or 8th guy on team..he said this because I always would use the midrange bank shot...as ive gotten older I still use that...fundamentals will carry you as you get old lol

Hawkeye15
09-04-2013, 01:39 PM
College coach called me shorter fatter white Tim Duncan was like 7th or 8th guy on team..he said this because I always would use the midrange bank shot...as ive gotten older I still use that...fundamentals will carry you as you get old lol

oh no, you are going to be the fat old guy who backs the youngsters down at the Y and sweats all over them?

boo

LongIslandIcedZ
09-04-2013, 01:52 PM
In my younger days I would back down the opposing guard and put a simple hook over him.

In college everyone was bigger so I just shot jumpers.

Mile High Champ
09-04-2013, 02:02 PM
Post defense and footwork around the basket. As both a coach and former university ball player, those two ares are beyond critical for any big to have.

SportsFanatic10
09-04-2013, 05:55 PM
jump shooting. i also like to practise getting to my spots on the floor and creating space for the jumper first like stepbacks and different escape dribbles as well turnaround jumpers. so handles too i guess.

Hawkeye15
09-04-2013, 06:32 PM
jump shooting. i also like to practise getting to my spots on the floor and creating space for the jumper first like stepbacks and different escape dribbles as well turnaround jumpers. so handles too i guess.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3xuoIjxQ_bU

why am I envisioning this?

Captain Moroni
09-04-2013, 06:40 PM
Elbowing without getting caught

KingPosey
09-04-2013, 06:51 PM
Personally for me, unlike working on my dunks. I get the most gratification off a sick throw down during a game honestly. I start out with two hands off two feet, then a drop step, then a stand still. I work my way out to three steps on leg with two feet, then one and one with the right, then my left. After my "workout" session I go for glamour dunking, ie, towards the end of the key, reverse, if my buddy is there some oops.

SportsFanatic10
09-04-2013, 06:57 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3xuoIjxQ_bU

why am I envisioning this?

haha ya that's about my skill level.

ewing
09-06-2013, 08:14 PM
shooting of course. I used to shoot 50 flat footed 8 footers from the base, center of the key, and other baseline with perfect form almost ever day. I did enjoy working on bank shots for fun to. I used to be able to go out to 3 point range with decent consistency. I never worked on a defensive slide in my life

ewing
09-06-2013, 08:19 PM
I also enjoyed working on fast break pull ups and of course shooting off the cross and off the catch. I used run around imaginary picks and catch a pass i throw with back spin to my self for hours.

JLynn943
09-06-2013, 10:36 PM
Well, I never played when I was younger and pretty much suck (no handles whatsoever), but ever since I got a hoop I like to shoot. Lots of bank shots and midrange jumpers. I don't have a consistent form though and end up typically playing like a big despite being 5'9" lol

Showtime Steve
09-06-2013, 11:48 PM
I'm about 5'8, can dribble, I have a good shot. I prefer to play the three but a pg is always expected outta me so... Lol. But I like to crash the boards and work on post game. I prefer the 3 position, but at my height I'm always expected to bring the ball up lol

Pablonovi
09-07-2013, 05:24 PM
I'm 5-8; was slow, negative vertical leap (rarely could barely touch the bottom of the net!).
Loved passing, loved playing defense (good for an occasional steal; never got tired of getting beat).
My favorite thing to practice: Free Throws (got as good underhanded "Rick Barry" style as I was regular-wise). I've always loved numbers so I'd endlessly shoot Free Throws (and Free-Throw jumpers); record all the info and compare something to something.

cvburg
09-07-2013, 08:13 PM
Hell yeah I am