PDA

View Full Version : The Left Overs: Is the league's best bench still yet to be built?

JasonJohnHorn
08-06-2013, 11:18 AM
Al Harrington has cleared waivers. Stephen Jackson is still on the market, as is Tracey McGrady. Matt Barnes, Lamar Odom and Antwan Jamison are still out there. Corey Magette and Hedu turkaglu as well.

Barbosa, Mo Williams and Beno Udrih are still on the market.

At the C Joel Pryzbilla and Chris Wilcox are both still available.

None of these guys are going to be starting next year, at least not on a contender, and some of these guys may have played their last NBA game, but every year there are signings that end up making a huge impact that were made late in the offseason (see the Nets picking up Blatche and Reggie Evans), or even well into the regular season (see the Heat picking up Andersen).

Throwing a guy like Pryzbilla on a contender can solidify a center rotation and provide solid rebounding, whilst picking up a pg like Mo-Williams can give you some quality depth at the point. Barnes, Odom and Jamison have played their best games already, but they still have something to offer. There are teams with thin benches that could really afford to add some depth.

OKC could use Jax for sure. Jamison and Harrington could give a number of teams some offensce off the bench, while Barnes is a great hustle player and Odom can play a couple of different positions. Put 2 or 3 of these guys on the same team, and it could make a huge difference when the playoffs roll around.

Is there a team out there that could use some of these guys to build a championship bench? Or are there any impact players that can help a team the way Chris Andersen did last season? Or have the best players already been picked over?

MrfadeawayJB
08-06-2013, 11:22 AM
Grizz have been linked to williams, Udrih, and Jamison.

I do think some of these can make a impact on any contender and be rotational guys. Most notably williams and Barnes

Captain Moroni
08-06-2013, 11:29 AM
Great thread idea.

Captain Moroni
08-06-2013, 11:29 AM
Odom will end up in LA with the lakers again.

Chill_Will_24
08-06-2013, 11:31 AM
I thought Barnes was already picked up

Romo2Bryant
08-06-2013, 11:32 AM
The Clippers already re-signed M. Barnes.

mjt20mik
08-06-2013, 11:52 AM
Mo Williams is definitely an interesting piece. He could easily be put in a 6th man role on any contender and just flat out score. Wondering if he is demanding too much, cause I would have thought he would have been scooped up.

Chronz
08-06-2013, 12:22 PM
Remember when Mo Williams thought he was a starter. That lasted 1 year, now he might be a 3rd string guard on alot of teams.

Chronz
08-06-2013, 12:23 PM
Mo Williams is definitely an interesting piece. He could easily be put in a 6th man role on any contender and just flat out score. Wondering if he is demanding too much, cause I would have thought he would have been scooped up.

I feel the same way, he was with us in LA and didn't take kindly to coming off the bench. But nowadays, hes not going to start anywhere he goes.

C_Mund
08-06-2013, 12:41 PM
I feel the same way, he was with us in LA and didn't take kindly to coming off the bench. But nowadays, hes not going to start anywhere he goes.

Sometimes a slice of humble pie could be the best thing for a player. I think there'd be a lot more competitive teams in the NBA if more players had the same attitude as Barnes

SanAntonioSpurs23
08-06-2013, 12:42 PM
Captain Jack and Tracy Mcgrady are beyond done

RiceOnTheRun
08-06-2013, 12:45 PM
Why is T-Mac still on here lol

Clippersfan86
08-06-2013, 12:53 PM
Lolz at Matt Barnes still being a free agent. The Clippers just gave him a 3 year, 10.5 million dollar extension about 3 weeks ago. Considering those guys aren't all going to one team, no the best bench isn't yet to be formed. Not to mention not a single one of these guys is a huge get or big difference maker. Guys like Jamison, Harrington and Odom add depth but they aren't going to carry bench production at this stage of their career. Mo Williams is a good scorer but a huge negative defensively and as Chronz said would be a 3rd PG on a lot of teams now anyways.

beasted86
08-06-2013, 03:20 PM
Thunder could definitely use Barbosa off the bench if has recovered from the ACL.

Goose17
08-06-2013, 03:23 PM
Heard T-Mac was going back to China?

JasonJohnHorn
08-06-2013, 08:23 PM
Lolz at Matt Barnes still being a free agent. The Clippers just gave him a 3 year, 10.5 million dollar extension about 3 weeks ago. Considering those guys aren't all going to one team, no the best bench isn't yet to be formed. Not to mention not a single one of these guys is a huge get or big difference maker. Guys like Jamison, Harrington and Odom add depth but they aren't going to carry bench production at this stage of their career. Mo Williams is a good scorer but a huge negative defensively and as Chronz said would be a 3rd PG on a lot of teams now anyways.

My bad... I hadn't heard about the Matt Barnes signing...

LeperMessiah
08-07-2013, 11:34 AM
NBA Cannot start without Captain Jack on a roster.

rockets-fan
08-07-2013, 02:59 PM
I would love to see us trade Asik for a PF and sign Joel Pryzabila as Howards back up