PDA

View Full Version : How does Brooklyn avoid being the Lakers?

Captain Moroni
08-04-2013, 12:04 PM
Last year i admit, I saw the LA Lakers winning 70 games. Adding Nash and Dwight Howard to a team stacked with kobe, Gasol, MWP and others looked to be un-beatable. And then they had to actually play the games. Playing the games seems to be something very much overlooked on PSD.

How can Brooklyn avoid the disaster that was the 2012-13 Lakers?

Can Dwill have an allstar type season and facilitate more than score?

Will PP be the go to guy or a vital role player?

Can KG continue to defy Father Time and stay healthy?

Can Rookie head coach Jason Kidd translate his BBIQ as a player into a coach?

Will Lopez get enough touches? How about JJ?

Is this team capable of contending with the Heat Bulls, Knicks, Pacers? or are we going to see the Laker debacle again?

GREATNESS ONE
08-04-2013, 12:25 PM
How do you avoid 16 championships?

flea
08-04-2013, 12:26 PM
RE: How does Brooklyn avoid being the Lakers?

By winning games. Particularly in May and June.

XerxestheGreat
08-04-2013, 12:32 PM
Not have 3/5 of the starting line up and 6th and 7th player off the bench out due to injuries for a significant amount if the season.

ManRam
08-04-2013, 12:40 PM
By actually being good :shrug:

They actually have depth and are less reliant on one or two players, so they aren't gonna be complete busts. But only time will tell if they can be something more than just good or really good.

lakerfan85
08-04-2013, 12:41 PM
Don't trade for Dwight...

Captain Moroni
08-04-2013, 12:45 PM
I think the Nets need to come out of the gate strong. They can't afford to start out slowly. This was the Lakers downfall IMO. everyone just expected them to mesh right away and it never happened.

Laker fans can scream injury all they want, but even when healthy they were not a very solid team.

The difference for Brooklyn might be PP accepting a non star role and buying into the team Philosophy. Garnett has slowed a bit, but his defensive tenacity can help Lopez become better.

I really am curious about kidd and his ability to jump from player to coach in one season. If anyone could do that, it's Kidd. He was a coach on the floor his entire career.

Now being a 3rd or 4th option, will JJ earn his paycheck this year?

They will be entertaining that is for sure.

Captain Moroni
08-04-2013, 12:45 PM
Don't trade for Dwight...

Good start

Captain Moroni
08-04-2013, 12:47 PM

They actually have depth and are less reliant on one or two players, so they aren't gonna be complete busts. But only time will tell if they can be something more than just good or really good.

I agree. Kidd selling and the players buying into the team system will be the key. One basketball and alot of grizzled veterans who like to shoot can kill you.

Captain Moroni
08-04-2013, 12:48 PM
RE: How does Brooklyn avoid being the Lakers?

By winning games. Particularly in May and June.

November and december as well

Teeboy1487
08-04-2013, 12:53 PM
Avoid injuries.

sportscrazed
08-04-2013, 01:02 PM
Not have 3/5 of the starting line up and 6th and 7th player off the bench out due to injuries for a significant amount if the season.

Other teams had similar injury woes and fared better so I don't really count that

sportscrazed
08-04-2013, 01:03 PM
Don't hire the worst coach in the league

Captain Moroni
08-04-2013, 02:30 PM
Avoid injuries.

everyone had injuries. That was not the Lakers number one issue.

Captain Moroni
08-04-2013, 02:31 PM
Don't hire the worst coach in the league

This one still baffles me, the guy was run out of town in NY and hired in the midst of a disaster in LA. I wonder if Kobe wanted him because his hiring seemed confusing.

B'sCeltsPatsSox
08-04-2013, 02:35 PM
Not playing KG over 30 MPG in the regular season, playing KG at center and playing Brook at PF, and a few other things.

JOhnnyTHaJet
08-04-2013, 02:58 PM
Not playing KG over 30 MPG in the regular season, playing KG at center and playing Brook at PF, and a few other things.

Brook at PF? How about no...

3ddiiee
08-04-2013, 03:05 PM
Have a good bench

Jarvo
08-04-2013, 04:46 PM
They won't be The Lakers because they don't have Kobe or Dwight.

More-Than-Most
08-04-2013, 04:56 PM

I dont know. I am not that high on them...They wont be terrible but I have them behind Knicks/Bulls/Pacers/Heat.... I just think they wont mesh well and age will play a huge factor and Kidd as the coach will be laughable.

Hellcrooner
08-04-2013, 04:56 PM
Playing like a team.

Bostonjorge
08-04-2013, 05:35 PM
Simple as long as they don't trade for Howard before the dead line they have a shot at the title it's that simple. Lakers will not be the lakers next year and have a better run this year.

RLundi
08-04-2013, 05:42 PM
If the stars align and they overachieve, I see them winning 55 games. But I wouldn't be surprised if they won 45 either. Let's split the difference and say they win 50 shall we?

How do they avoid being the Lakers? By staying healthy. Can they? Who knows.

Chill_Will_24
08-04-2013, 06:23 PM
You are asking questions that we can only speculate on.

How can Brooklyn avoid the disaster that was the 2012-13 Lakers? They are already better prepared than 2012 Lakers because they have great depth. The Nets are 10 deep with serviceable bench players behind those 10 as well. They have the depth to survive injuries should they happen and limit minutes through the season to avoid them.

Can Dwill have an allstar type season and facilitate more than score? Sure. He now has all the weapons to average double digit assists again like in Utah and people forget that he is actually a great passer and playmaker. His scoring here was up and assists numbers down cuz we needed scoring badly and did not have the tools nor spacing (Wallace, Evans) on the court for him to do what he did in Utah with his passing. His post all star numbers once he dedicated himself to getting in shape were stellar and his most recent photos of the summer have him looking cut as hell and in great shape. I see no reason why Deron cannot be right back in the top 3 pg convo next season

Will PP be the go to guy or a vital role player? Both. I see no reason why he cannot do both. He has some of the best clutch numbers in the NBA and is a very good 3pt shooter unlike Wallace so he can actually play a role really well and be a go to guy when he has it going as well.

Can KG continue to defy Father Time and stay healthy? Well what difference do 6 months make, really? Defy father time? All he has to do is play a role now by bringing that defensive presence and that intensity and hitting that consistent mid range of his. He was forced to play so many minutes after Rondo went down. He was done by the playoffs. His minutes will be very reduced on the Nets. Unless some freak injury takes place i cant see his health being an issue with how deep this team will be.

Can Rookie head coach Jason Kidd translate his BBIQ as a player into a coach? I dont see how he could be any worse than Avery Johnson and PJ Carlisimo. Anything is better than ISODeron ISOJohnson ISOLopez ISOBlatche rinse and repeat. Kidd has already vowed to get the team away from ISO and promote ball movement. That in itself is already an improvement.

Will Lopez get enough touches? How about JJ? Lopez will still get touches. Last year all he saw were double and triple teams. Now he gets so much room to operate and we can now get him the ball closer to the rim. As if it wasnt hard enough to defend him before. Depending on the matchup i believe the Nets will feed Lopez the ball a lot more now and with the added IQ and passing ability of the team with Garnett, Pierce, and AK47 i expect Lopez to improve even more.

JJ has always been a good shooter. It remains to be seen if he can ever return to his PHX style of running off screens and spotting up which he didnt get a chance to do here or in ATL with all the ISO offense. Less touches for JJ is not a problem as long as he gets the ball in clutch situations i am fine with a reduced role for him. Everyone will have to sacrifice some for it to work and JJ will be the one i feel will have to take the biggest reduction in role. Based on his meek passive personality i dont think this will be an issue

Is this team capable of contending with the Heat Bulls, Knicks, Pacers? or are we going to see the Laker debacle again?

With the Bulls, Pacers? Sure! I cant really put any of the Nets, Bulls, Pacers clearly ahead of the other. They all have advantages and are strong teams. The Knicks arent even in the conversation. They are a 5th seed maybe 6th and nobody is really worried about them at this point. Teams passed them by in the east this summer. As for the Heat i think all of the Nets, Bulls, and Pacers could give them trouble and take them to 7 but ultimately i dont think any of them get over the Heat especially if Oden pans out for them

Hawkeye15
08-04-2013, 07:35 PM
Well, the Nets don't have a leader driven by ego, and the Lakers were beat up by injuries, even though Dwight/Kobe barely missed time.

TheMightyHumph
08-04-2013, 07:53 PM
Well, the Nets don't have a leader driven by ego, and the Lakers were beat up by injuries, even though Dwight/Kobe barely missed time.

Don't know if Deron is driven by ego, but he has a big ego.

Hawkeye15
08-04-2013, 08:04 PM
Don't know if Deron is driven by ego, but he has a big ego.

oh, I agree, but yeah, I don't think he is driven by it, as Kobe is. Imo anyways.

east fb knicks
08-04-2013, 08:21 PM
on paper they have the best team in the league imo but it all depends on kidd I think hiring kidd was a huge mistake they should have made the trade and went after phil but who knows kidd might surprise all of us and do good

Captain Moroni
08-04-2013, 08:23 PM
Nets will have a huge challenge ahead of them this year.
Too many things to go right.
There are 4 really solid teams ahead of them. They might not even win the division.

JOhnnyTHaJet
08-04-2013, 08:35 PM
on paper they have the best team in the league imo but it all depends on kidd I think hiring kidd was a huge mistake they should have made the trade and went after phil but who knows kidd might surprise all of us and do good

You know how many teams went after Phil? You know how many he said no to? We called him, he doesn't want to coach anymore.

Captain Moroni
08-04-2013, 08:38 PM

I dont think they have the best team on paper, not even close.

jerellh528
08-04-2013, 08:39 PM
They should just keep doin what they have been doin for their franchises history if they want to avoid being the lakers. Not every team wants 16 championships. I think the premise of this thread is stupid. It could have easily said how can they avoid being a paper team or playing below expectations instead of how can they avoid being the lakers, who are 3 yrs removed from a championship and are 1 away from most in nba history.

sportscrazed
08-04-2013, 08:48 PM
You are asking questions that we can only speculate on.

How can Brooklyn avoid the disaster that was the 2012-13 Lakers? They are already better prepared than 2012 Lakers because they have great depth. The Nets are 10 deep with serviceable bench players behind those 10 as well. They have the depth to survive injuries should they happen and limit minutes through the season to avoid them.

Can Dwill have an allstar type season and facilitate more than score? Sure. He now has all the weapons to average double digit assists again like in Utah and people forget that he is actually a great passer and playmaker. His scoring here was up and assists numbers down cuz we needed scoring badly and did not have the tools nor spacing (Wallace, Evans) on the court for him to do what he did in Utah with his passing. His post all star numbers once he dedicated himself to getting in shape were stellar and his most recent photos of the summer have him looking cut as hell and in great shape. I see no reason why Deron cannot be right back in the top 3 pg convo next season

Will PP be the go to guy or a vital role player? Both. I see no reason why he cannot do both. He has some of the best clutch numbers in the NBA and is a very good 3pt shooter unlike Wallace so he can actually play a role really well and be a go to guy when he has it going as well.

Can KG continue to defy Father Time and stay healthy? Well what difference do 6 months make, really? Defy father time? All he has to do is play a role now by bringing that defensive presence and that intensity and hitting that consistent mid range of his. He was forced to play so many minutes after Rondo went down. He was done by the playoffs. His minutes will be very reduced on the Nets. Unless some freak injury takes place i cant see his health being an issue with how deep this team will be.

Can Rookie head coach Jason Kidd translate his BBIQ as a player into a coach? I dont see how he could be any worse than Avery Johnson and PJ Carlisimo. Anything is better than ISODeron ISOJohnson ISOLopez ISOBlatche rinse and repeat. Kidd has already vowed to get the team away from ISO and promote ball movement. That in itself is already an improvement.

Will Lopez get enough touches? How about JJ? Lopez will still get touches. Last year all he saw were double and triple teams. Now he gets so much room to operate and we can now get him the ball closer to the rim. As if it wasnt hard enough to defend him before. Depending on the matchup i believe the Nets will feed Lopez the ball a lot more now and with the added IQ and passing ability of the team with Garnett, Pierce, and AK47 i expect Lopez to improve even more.

JJ has always been a good shooter. It remains to be seen if he can ever return to his PHX style of running off screens and spotting up which he didnt get a chance to do here or in ATL with all the ISO offense. Less touches for JJ is not a problem as long as he gets the ball in clutch situations i am fine with a reduced role for him. Everyone will have to sacrifice some for it to work and JJ will be the one i feel will have to take the biggest reduction in role. Based on his meek passive personality i dont think this will be an issue

With the Bulls, Pacers? Sure! I cant really put any of the Nets, Bulls, Pacers clearly ahead of the other. They all have advantages and are strong teams. The Knicks arent even in the conversation. They are a 5th seed maybe 6th and nobody is really worried about them at this point. Teams passed them by in the east this summer. As for the Heat i think all of the Nets, Bulls, and Pacers could give them trouble and take them to 7 but ultimately i dont think any of them get over the Heat especially if Oden pans out for them

I forgot that the games are played in the summer. For a team that had a great regular season the Knicks are sure getting no respect.

bucketss
08-04-2013, 08:55 PM
i don't think the nets have nearly as much expectations,i mean they added two senior citizens and role players.

Sly Guy
08-04-2013, 08:57 PM
I think one of the biggest things brooklyn has going for them that LA didn't is that pierce/garnett/terry are all already familiar with each other. Considering each is going to be a significant rotational player, it might help them in getting chemistry up and running sooner than LA.

But even if that proves to be a big factor in their favor, I think that staying healthy will be their biggest worry.

ArmLaker
08-04-2013, 09:01 PM
Given that they all remain healthy, I believe the nets just might have what it takes to win the east.

For right now they are the dark horses.

ldawg
08-04-2013, 09:34 PM
i don't think the nets have nearly as much expectations,i mean they added two senior citizens and role players.Yes but Pierce while old is still only 35, Kg is a big so as long as the other teammates are not 37 or above he is good, See Duncan. Plus those guy are traded there to be role players. Nash on the other hand is making 40 in Feb he is the oldest Active player in the NBA. His coach still thinks hes 30 and is viewed as a core player in LA. Its really not the age of the player but how they are used. Its never a good idea to have an older guard starting. While they can still be great and hang with the young boys early on late in games and as the season go on their age will start to show. However that was only the start of La problems, Their list of problems were long. Not sure you could take anything positive from last year Lakers that was a train wreck. The only positive i can remember was Darius Morris having some good games in the finals and Clark getting a good contract both of whom are gone. I also think Howard was the same distraction he was in his last couple years in Orlando.

MrfadeawayJB
08-04-2013, 09:42 PM
Limit mins, especially during back to backs. They should have no problem, they have good depth

ldawg
08-04-2013, 09:50 PM
Limit mins, especially during back to backs. They should have no problem, they have good depthYep do the opposite of what Mike did he played 6 people deep until they broke then on to the next.

Chill_Will_24
08-04-2013, 10:31 PM
Limit mins, especially during back to backs. They should have no problem, they have good depth

Yup. KG will officially transition into the Tim Duncan minutes plan next year with the Nets.

I like it cuz the more AK47 plays the better the Nets will be.

majmarcus
08-04-2013, 10:31 PM
Brooklyn has already done a fabulous job of avoiding being the Lakers. Brooklyn(New Jersey) hasnt made any moves whatsoever to bring them a title in Idk...how long? Where as Lakers has a history of success and bouncing back. So ugghh...yeah

Chill_Will_24
08-04-2013, 10:37 PM
The OP should have worded the title better. This thread is drawing a lot of butt hurt Lakers fans. Maybe that was the intention.

Lakersfan2483
08-04-2013, 10:45 PM
Last year i admit, I saw the LA Lakers winning 70 games. Adding Nash and Dwight Howard to a team stacked with kobe, Gasol, MWP and others looked to be un-beatable. And then they had to actually play the games. Playing the games seems to be something very much overlooked on PSD.

They can avoid being the 2013 Lakers by not firing their head coach 5 games into the season and completely changing the philosophy/system that was taught during training camp and the preseason. They can also hope to not lose their starting point guard on the first game of the regular season and avoid him being out for 2 months. They can also try to avoid losing two vital big men for a significant time due to major injuries. One big, Pau was out 6 weeks and J. Hill went out all year. Not to mention the major injuries to our back up point guard in Blake and Metta going down for awhile as well. Last year was a disaster due to many different factors, injuries being one of the MAIN factors. The Nets have to stay healthy and need good depth. The Lakers lacked quality depth and chemistry.

Lakersfan2483
08-04-2013, 10:47 PM
The Nets have a better constructed team than LA's team last year in terms of overall depth and a combination of youth and talent. A team of Deron Williams, Joe Johnson, Paul Pierce, Kevin Garnett, Brook Lopez, Andrei Kirilenko, Andray Blatche and Jason Terry is deep!!!

LADTXR
08-04-2013, 10:48 PM
Laker fans can scream injury all they want, but even when healthy they were not a very solid team.

Lakers were a solid team when they were healthy, the problem is they weren't healthy for very long and they had no bench...people will always say you can't use the injury excuse until their team has a bunch of injuries and you see how it really effects the team. The lakers should've been better even with the injuries they had but like i said they were a very thin team and their top players were hurt. I don't know if you watch baseball but look at the dodgers, earlier in the year when half their lineup was hurt and they sucked everyone was saying you can't blame injuries for sucking. Well, look at what they're doing when they're for the most part healthy, they've been one of the best teams in baseball.

LADTXR
08-04-2013, 10:50 PM
The Nets have a better constructed team than LA's team last year in terms of overall depth and a combination of youth and talent. A team of Deron Williams, Joe Johnson, Paul Pierce, Kevin Garnett, Brook Lopez, Andrei Kirilenko, Andray Blatche and Jason Terry is deep!!!

If Williams and Lopez get hurt are they still a good team, most likely no...being a good team relies a lot on being healthy.

Chill_Will_24
They can avoid being the 2013 Lakers by not firing their head coach 5 games into the season and completely changing the philosophy/system that was taught during training camp and the preseason. They can also hope to not lose their starting point guard on the first game of the regular season and avoid him being out for 2 months. They can also try to avoid losing two vital big men for a significant time due to major injuries. One big, Pau was out 6 weeks and J. Hill went out all year. Not to mention the major injuries to our back up point guard in Blake and Metta going down for awhile as well. Last year was a disaster due to many different factors, injuries being one of the MAIN factors. The Nets have to stay healthy and need good depth. The Lakers lacked quality depth and chemistry.

Agreed. People that use the comparison to the 2012 Lakers make me laugh. Its such a stupid comparison. The Lakers were not only thin in depth but they also suffered injuries all season beginning with the 1st game! Everything that COULD have gone wrong for them did right from the gate and they lacked the depth to deal with it.

The 2003 Lakers would have been a better comparison

Captain Moroni
I think one of the biggest things brooklyn has going for them that LA didn't is that pierce/garnett/terry are all already familiar with each other. Considering each is going to be a significant rotational player, it might help them in getting chemistry up and running sooner than LA.

But even if that proves to be a big factor in their favor, I think that staying healthy will be their biggest worry.

agree

Lakersfan2483
08-04-2013, 10:54 PM
I dont think they have the best team on paper, not even close.

You can't be serious? They have one of the most talented teams in the NBA, if not the best on paper. Deron Williams is one of the best point guards in the NBA and an all star. Brook Lopez is an all star center who is very skilled down low and can get you 20 or more pts a night. Joe Johnson is an all star at the 2. Paul Pierce is still playing at a very high level and is a year removed from making the all star team. He's still a good player that can close. Kevin Garnett had one of his better seasons last year and his impact on the defense is still at an elite level. Andrei Kirilenko is still a quality player as is Jason Terry. Blatche is a quality back up that used to start.

Chill_Will_24
08-04-2013, 10:54 PM
Lakers were a solid team when they were healthy, the problem is they weren't healthy for very long and they had no bench...people will always say you can't use the injury excuse until their team has a bunch of injuries and you see how it really effects the team. The lakers should've been better even with the injuries they had but like i said they were a very thin team and their top players were hurt. I don't know if you watch baseball but look at the dodgers, earlier in the year when half their lineup was hurt and they sucked everyone was saying you can't blame injuries for sucking. Well, look at what they're doing when they're for the most part healthy, they've been one of the best teams in baseball.

Their starting five of Nash, Kobe, Metta, Gasol, and Dwight played a grand total of 7 games together. Without factoring in that it doesnt mean they played healthy as Nash and Dwight were hurting all season. Hell most of that team was at one point or another playing through injuries. Dwight wasnt even himself till late in the season. They also had a top 3 worst coach in the league last season. When they fired Mike Brown it was the beginning of the end

So yea thats too small a sample size. The truth is that we never saw what that team was capable of. We only got flashes of it.

Lakersfan2483
08-04-2013, 10:55 PM
Agreed. People that use the comparison to the 2012 Lakers make me laugh. Its such a stupid comparison. The Lakers were not only thin in depth but they also suffered injuries all season beginning with the 1st game! Everything that COULD have gone wrong for them did right from the gate and they lacked the depth to deal with it.

The 2003 Lakers would have been a better comparison

True.

Lakersfan2483
08-04-2013, 10:59 PM
If Williams and Lopez get hurt are they still a good team, most likely no...being a good team relies a lot on being healthy.

True statement. What many people don't factor in is health for a team. Take a team like LA who looked great on paper last year, but didn't have the depth of say this current Brooklyn team and was devastated by injuries. You cannot build chemistry if your key guys are hurt and are out for a significant amt. of time. The Lakers won 45 games despite losing Pau, Nash, Metta, J. Hill and S. Blake for large chunks of the year. Imagine how they would have done had they been healthy and built some cohesiveness.

Lakersfan2483
08-04-2013, 11:01 PM

This. Also, when the Lakers were semi-healthy, they finished with a 28-12 record the 2nd half of the year and had one of the better records in the NBA.

tr3ymill3r
08-04-2013, 11:11 PM
If Jason Kidd implements and offense that doesn't suit his personnel. It's really as simple as that.

Crackadalic
08-04-2013, 11:25 PM
I think they'll be fine. My on thing is can KG play pf again. I remember as soon as doc place him as a center he pretty much extended his career. At his age can he guard the bigger 4's again?

Punk
08-04-2013, 11:33 PM
The comparisons to the Lakers are completely baffling to me.

1. There is nobody on that Nets team that is an ego manic like Kobe or an immature idiot like Howard.

2. There is nobody on that team with raw offensive skils in the post compared to Howard. Howard sucked next to Gasol because he needs a stretch four next to him. Ryan Anderson made him better. Lopez can play next to any player because he is an advanced offensive big man.

3. Pierce/KG have all confirmed that they are happy to do less and basically be role players that get wide open shots.

4. The Lakers never had a deep bench compared to the Nets. Jamison, Meeks, Steve Blake, Duhon compared to Jason Terry, Andrei Kirilenko, Reggie Evans, Andray Blatche. Which one looks better?

5. I'm pretty sure the Nets aren't planning on firing Jason Kidd for D'antoni.

There is really no reason why they can't finish 2nd or 3rd in the East. When they were a 50 win team a year ago with a crap supporting cast and bad coaching.

TheMightyHumph
08-04-2013, 11:41 PM
They should just keep doin what they have been doin for their franchises history if they want to avoid being the lakers. Not every team wants 16 championships. I think the premise of this thread is stupid. It could have easily said how can they avoid being a paper team or playing below expectations instead of how can they avoid being the lakers, who are 3 yrs removed from a championship and are 1 away from most in nba history.

I believe the question is how can the Nets avoid being the '12-13 Lakers.

You didn't pick up on that?

RiceOnTheRun
08-05-2013, 01:28 AM
They need an open mind.

Not just try to fit a square peg through a circle hole.

I think J-Kidd was a great selection for head coach, mainly because he's a blank slate as far as coaching goes. Also, who better to mentor D-Will than a top 5 PG. I expect him to be a very open minded coach who is willing to experiment with things until he finds a system which works for both him and the team.

waveycrockett
08-05-2013, 01:39 AM
1)Stay Healthy

2)Stay Away from D12

3)Stay Away from MDA

DoMeFavors
08-05-2013, 02:22 AM
They avoid being the Lakers by not having most of the starting 5 injured for most of the year.
They avoid being the Lakers by not having Steve Nash play the Princeton offense system for the first time in his career then giving him the keys to the jungle by getting Dantoni for an old team where it doesnt fit Kobe's Dwights or Gasols game.
No egos

Captain Moroni
08-05-2013, 10:58 AM
Going to be interesting to see how this team gels.

Jroz
08-05-2013, 11:00 AM
easy, play with 2 basketballs

JerseyPalahniuk
08-05-2013, 11:02 AM
Awful comparison as Chill Will noted. The casual fan probably sees bunch of all-stars joining a team and thinks it's the same thing over again. NOPE. I've pointed out significant differences in other threads as well. The Payton/Malone lakers is much better.

colinskik
08-05-2013, 11:37 AM
It's all a matter of how they can play together. Last year's Lakers, like the stacked Lakers squad that brought on Payton/Malone, had no true identity. If Kobe's on your team he needs to be the heavy focal point and that although those teams eventually morphed into that, it didn't seem to be the plan going in.

Basically it's hit or miss. I'm not going to predict anything with this year's Nets team, just sit back and enjoy, for better or worse. With all those players on one team, someone is going to be left out of the party.

KniCks4LiFe
08-05-2013, 11:38 AM
they have quite possibly the scariest depth in the NBA.

D-Will - young allstar PG
JJ - clutch shooter
PP - veteran NBA champ/clutch shooter
KG - veteran NBA champ/defensive anchor/the heart and soul
Lopez - young high scoring center

Livingston - highly athletic healthy tall PG
JET - vet NBA champ/one of the best 6th man in the league
AK47 - Mr. stretch everything/defense/offense
Anderson - this dude is a streak shooter and has exp. w/ PP and KG
Evans - Mr. energy/rebounds
Blatche - young athletic scoring big

Plumlee - crowd pleaser PnR dunks
Toko - look for this 21 yr. old to have a good season next yr.
Taylor - prob. won't even get to play on this team

They are a problem. Their depth is scary.

KnickaBocka.44
08-05-2013, 11:49 AM
they have quite possibly the scariest depth in the NBA.

D-Will - young allstar PG
JJ - clutch shooter
PP - veteran NBA champ/clutch shooter
KG - veteran NBA champ/defensive anchor/the heart and soul
Lopez - young high scoring center

Livingston - highly athletic healthy tall PG
JET - vet NBA champ/one of the best 6th man in the league
AK47 - Mr. stretch everything/defense/offense
Anderson - this dude is a streak shooter and has exp. w/ PP and KG
Evans - Mr. energy/rebounds
Blatche - young athletic scoring big

Plumlee - crowd pleaser PnR dunks
Toko - look for this 21 yr. old to have a good season next yr.
Taylor - prob. won't even get to play on this team

They are a problem. Their depth is scary.

D-Will is 29, not young, and hasn't been an all-star the past few years.

JJ-Have you seen his playoff numbers?

Livingston- he's not highly athletic and health, although not in the last 2 seasons, is not guaranteed for him.

I'm pretty sure Anderson never played with PP or KG.

jerellh528
08-05-2013, 11:50 AM
I believe the question is how can the Nets avoid being the '12-13 Lakers.

You didn't pick up on that?

Yes, hench my last statement. Still a dumb comparison.

LongIslandIcedZ
08-05-2013, 11:52 AM
They had a great offseason. Part of what made it so great is that everyone thought they would have been stuck in the same situation for 3 years thanks to some bad contracts.

I dont know if their a championship contender. I still think their in the same boat as Chicago/Indiana/NY. Their a good team, much improved from last year, but probably cant defeat Miami in the playoffs.

I love the KG/AK47 moves. Pierce will be good. Dont really care about Terry or that Anderson guy.

Like every other thread about every other team, their being overrated by some and underrated by some, but I think they can get anywhere from the 2-5 seed.

Their only issues could be inexperience coaching, and the fact that their old. Not a guarantee those will be issues, but there is a chance.

ldawg
08-05-2013, 11:59 AM
Lakers were bad last year but with them signing 6' 6" power forward to pair with Pau i dont expect any improvement. Even if lakers are healthy the coach will find a way to miss use his players. I exect Lakers to play small ball with little defense. Nets wont do that so they should have a better shot.

TheMightyHumph
08-05-2013, 12:17 PM
This. Also, when the Lakers were semi-healthy, they finished with a 28-12 record the 2nd half of the year and had one of the better records in the NBA.

Partial regular season records don't count.

Every team has a good streak and a bad streak

MickeyMgl
08-05-2013, 12:28 PM

They can start by having people lower their expectations to more realistic levels. Seriously, anybody thinking the Lakers looked like a 70-win team is easily excitable. Given the less-than-stellar coach (Mike Brown) and the relatively high likelihood of injuries affecting their season (because of age, lack of depth, and Howard's back surgery), I saw them as about a 53-win team, and I wrote that.

No doubt, the Lakers' season was a failure by any reasonable expectation (including mine), but the biggest issue as far as answering your question is those lofty, unrealistic expectations, and ironically, you correctly point out the reason for them - the failure to understand everything that unfolds when the games are played. It's not just about personnel or name recognition. It's age, coaching, injuries, chemistry, contract situations, team strengths AND team weaknesses, pressure, fatigue, schedule, role players, front office decisions, etc & etc.

As for the Nets, I think they have a realistic chance of winning the East, and of winning the whole thing. The problem is, again, expectations. The questions are often phrased, "Can they beat the Heat?", and people hear "WILL they beat the Heat?". I think they can beat the Heat. I think the Heat can beat them. I believe the Bulls can beat any of those other two, and the other two can beat them.

If people realize going in that it's going to be a legit battle among at least these three teams - and maybe Indiana - and that no one team is going to run away with it unless significant injuries are involved to the others, then the Nets will avoid the "disaster" that was the Lakers 12-13 season.

ldawg
08-05-2013, 12:42 PM
Nets will focus on defense Lakers focus on playing small and quick.

shep33
08-05-2013, 01:06 PM
Don't get injured. People bash us, and rightfully so most of the time, but we were killed by injuries.

Pau 33 games, plus knee tendonitis all year; tore his plantar fascia too

Nash 32 games, broke his leg, had nerve issues after that

Blake missed probably 30 games or so

Dwight being injured with a shoulder issue

Metta tore his MCL I think

Cherry on top... Kobe tears his Achilles.

ldawg
08-05-2013, 01:17 PM
Don't get injured. People bash us, and rightfully so most of the time, but we were killed by injuries.

Pau 33 games, plus knee tendonitis all year; tore his plantar fascia too

Nash 32 games, broke his leg, had nerve issues after that

Blake missed probably 30 games or so

Dwight being injured with a shoulder issue

Metta tore his MCL I think

Cherry on top... Kobe tears his Achilles.
The question is why. Is it because they played a style that they were not good for their players. The question will they do it again.
Nash 40
Kobe torn acl coming back early at 35
Pau being over used
wont sign a big pf rather than under sized ones with hope of playing small.

Net will play at a good pace, play defense and and get the older guys the breather the need.

Pistol_Pete
08-05-2013, 01:40 PM
Well, the Lakers last season suffered from injuries and team chemistry. Gasol had to see his name in trades daily and Howard didn't want to be their in the first place. On top of that, I personally think that D'Antoni is an overrated coach.

I think the Chemistry in Brooklyn will be fine. Pierce/KG/Terry know they're not #1 options anymore, and KG had to accept a trade to Brooklyn. No one's there who wants out badly. The bench is deep, which should help rest some player, hopefully keeping injuries at bay. And then there's Kidd. Non one knows how that will be, but if he's average, it'll probably fare better than D'Antoni.

Brooklyn doesn't have the same problems from the start that LA did. If you look at Kobe/Nash/Howard on paper, you expect that team to be crazy, while Williams/Pierce/Lopez/KG/JJ, you expect them to be good.

29$JerZ
08-05-2013, 01:52 PM
The Lakers and Nets situation is completely different though.

LA was a 3rd Seed in the West last season and were adding Nash/Dwight/Duhon/Clark essentially for free.
Expectations were a given.

Brooklyn was a 4th seed in the East who got bounced out of the 1st round by an injured Bulls team and are now adding Pierce/KG/Terry on the downside of their career along with AK.

When it comes to coaching D'Antoni is simply a bad fit for LA while Kidd is a ?. However I don't think he'll be that bad or that good, probably a solid coach.

Brooklyn still isn't considered unanimous title contenders after the move like LA was named. They were suppose to easily top over the Thunder/Spurs by adding Dwight. Brooklyn is just now a good team with a puncher's chance at beating Miami/Chicago/NY/Indy.

As long as they stay relatively healthy again and Deron finally plays like a Top 3 PG again they should be good.
They have little to no drama on that team like Kobe/Dwight/D'Antoni caused LA and I don't see Deron/Kidd clashing with each other now that they both have been given a great opportunity to make some noise.

Stinkyoutsider
08-05-2013, 01:54 PM
Glue. That's how they can avoid being the Lakers...

They've got to find a guy or guys in the team who can promote chemistry and keep the team upbeat and positive. No going to the media and talking about problems in the team. Bring those up behind closed doors. And most importantly, defined roles. This falls on Jason Kidd and his staff.

I think the Nets are in a much better position than the Lakers. You've got character guys in the club like Garnett, Pierce, and Lopez. And a head coach who has been a great leader for quite a long time.

still1ballin
08-05-2013, 02:18 PM
everyone had injuries. That was not the Lakers number one issue.

It was. The starting 5 only played like 20-25 games together in different times of the season. Steve Nash fractured his leg in the second game of the season, therefore there was really no time for the team to build up chemistry. Everytime one player would come back from an injury, another would get hurt. It was like that all season long and never really had the time to gel. Of course there were other issues, but I would say injuries were the main reason.

DoMeFavors
08-05-2013, 02:32 PM
The Lakers and Nets situation is completely different though.

LA was a 3rd Seed in the West last season and were adding Nash/Dwight/Duhon/Clark essentially for free.
Expectations were a given.

Brooklyn was a 4th seed in the East who got bounced out of the 1st round by an injured Bulls team and are now adding Pierce/KG/Terry on the downside of their career along with AK.

When it comes to coaching D'Antoni is simply a bad fit for LA while Kidd is a ?. However I don't think he'll be that bad or that good, probably a solid coach.

Brooklyn still isn't considered unanimous title contenders after the move like LA was named. They were suppose to easily top over the Thunder/Spurs by adding Dwight. Brooklyn is just now a good team with a puncher's chance at beating Miami/Chicago/NY/Indy.

As long as they stay relatively healthy again and Deron finally plays like a Top 3 PG again they should be good.
They have little to no drama on that team like Kobe/Dwight/D'Antoni caused LA and I don't see Deron/Kidd clashing with each other now that they both have been given a great opportunity to make some noise.

punchers chance at beating Chicago? NY? Indy? Those are going to be cake walks

Sandman
08-05-2013, 02:33 PM
The Nets have done a great job avoiding being the Lakers for the past 30 years, why stop now

kobe4thewinbang
08-05-2013, 02:35 PM
I have my concerns, but it *could* work out for the Nets. KG brings leadership, but he wants to play lesser minutes. Are they keeping Jason Terry? I worry about Paul Pierce and Joe Johnson fighting over the final shot.

DoMeFavors
08-05-2013, 02:37 PM
I have my concerns, but it *could* work out for the Nets. KG brings leadership, but he wants to play lesser minutes. Are they keeping Jason Terry? I worry about Paul Pierce and Joe Johnson fighting over the final shot.

Why would you worry about them fighting over the final shot? Joe doesnt care if someone else shoots it.

D-Leethal
08-05-2013, 02:44 PM
Play AK47 more than JJ or Pierce.

Lakers Ghost
08-05-2013, 02:45 PM

1 of the problem with the lakers was that they change coach from a bad one to a worse one. still trying to find the right combination in the playoffs bad coaching.
2. howard he just didnt play like people expected (overrated in my opinion)
3. injury, too many injuries howard, nash, gasol, blake...... ect. nash was out after the first game for some time.

I dont see the Nets having this problem I even expect them to beat the Knicks.

rhd420
08-05-2013, 02:58 PM
The Nets have done a great job avoiding being the Lakers for the past 30 years, why stop now

Comment of the thread, BRAVO

But ... in terms of spending and timing, how many of those big contracts expire .. in a couple of years just like the Lakers next year?

I don't know RIGHT NOW how much Jason Kidd will be as effective as a coach, but at this point, he's not necessarily attracting or in the Lakers case D'Antoni detracting players from playing his style of game (Dwight Howard) because nobody knows Kidd's style yet.

No matter what - and no offense to the Nets, the second the Knicks are viable, they are the east coast version of the Clippers

carlthack
08-05-2013, 03:13 PM
All they can do is pray for little to no injuries. Its not really something that be controlled, its just luck. Lakers had the worst luck of any team in NBA history last year.

Chill_Will_24
08-05-2013, 03:19 PM
Play AK47 more than JJ or Pierce.

This in regards to JJ. Teams need to stop trying to force JJ into playing up to the contract ATL gave him. He will never be that. However you can maximize his talents in a role that includes more shooting off screens and spot ups which he is very capable of. AK needs to play at least the same amount of minutes as JJ and Pierce

krisxsong
08-05-2013, 04:07 PM
I think the Nets need to come out of the gate strong. They can't afford to start out slowly. This was the Lakers downfall IMO. everyone just expected them to mesh right away and it never happened.

The difference for Brooklyn might be PP accepting a non star role and buying into the team Philosophy. Garnett has slowed a bit, but his defensive tenacity can help Lopez become better.

I really am curious about kidd and his ability to jump from player to coach in one season. If anyone could do that, it's Kidd. He was a coach on the floor his entire career.

Now being a 3rd or 4th option, will JJ earn his paycheck this year?

They will be entertaining that is for sure.

LOL. The Lakers were doomed for the entire season cause they started slow?

No. The Lakers were terrible because Steve Nash can't play off the ball, Dwight Howard wasn't happy, and nobody likes playing with Kobe Bryant.

Then you look at Pau Gasol. That idiotic coach couldn't use two big men so Pau was rendered useless.

So the Lakers entire success was dependent on Kobe Pau and Dwight.

On the Nets, they are 8 deep. They don't rely on 1 or 2 or 3 guys, they rely on 8+. DWILL, Johnson, Pierce, Garnett, Lopez, Blatche, Terry, AK47. FAR deeper than anything the Lakers had on their bench.

LoveMeOrHateMe
08-05-2013, 04:25 PM
They don't have the cancer that is Dwight Howard so they should be good

D-Leethal
08-05-2013, 04:28 PM
This in regards to JJ. Teams need to stop trying to force JJ into playing up to the contract ATL gave him. He will never be that. However you can maximize his talents in a role that includes more shooting off screens and spot ups which he is very capable of. AK needs to play at least the same amount of minutes as JJ and Pierce

I just think the JJ/Pierce wing duo is not going to work out - they don't really compliment each other at all. They share the same strengths and they share the same weaknesses, and you get zero defense/intangibles out of your two wing spots. I feel if you slide AK in there take one of them out, all of a sudden that's a dangerous lineup that compliments each other all over the place. If I was a Nets fan, I would be calling for the team to bring one of those guys off the bench, and I would hope to not see them both on the floor finishing games.

D-Leethal
08-05-2013, 04:29 PM
I think Kidd will alternate AK in there with one of them for the majority of the game, but is he gonna have the balls to sit one of them down the stretch of games to have a defender and a closer instead of two closers with no defense?

ldawg
08-05-2013, 04:32 PM
The Lakers had nothing going for them Last season. It started when they were healthy. One of the reason they stayed hurt because they were not very good so every game was like a game 7 for them. If they push Pau, Kobe and Nash who is 40 the same will happen again. That core is not suited for small ball. On the other hand Nets know not to play small ball with thier team. Nets is a vet win now team but they have a good balance the key is to make it to the playoffs healthy.

D-Leethal
08-05-2013, 05:04 PM
Yea Lakers were bad before injuries. Preseason is preseason but they went freakin' 0-8. They sucked from day 1. I do see some parallels with the Nets though as far as having to mold former stars into role players/intangible guys, and being slow at every position, having 4-5 guys in the starting lineup that are not able to stay in front of their man or make rotations in time.

Chronz
08-05-2013, 05:10 PM
I think Kidd will alternate AK in there with one of them for the majority of the game, but is he gonna have the balls to sit one of them down the stretch of games to have a defender and a closer instead of two closers with no defense?

What kind of closing lineups do you envision?

Chronz
08-05-2013, 05:20 PM
Also, Pierce was not a liability defensively last year. He knows the angles, he has defensive chemistry with KG, and hes never been a defender who relies on his quickness. Hes getting to that age where its no longer a strength but would you consider Ron Artest a liability defensively?

ldawg
08-05-2013, 05:29 PM
Dont sleep on Nets. I had them beating Miami but now that they have Oden its a wait and see how he plays. But with Terry and AK to their bench and ex allstars in Paul and KG will help their core. This years Lakers team is not Bad as one may think if their they can get healthy, slow their game, and use their players right. The Only problem i see with them is they need a shot blocker Pau need help in the Paint. If they run they will be average.

Aust
08-05-2013, 06:11 PM
Their coach is a question mark.

sunsfan88
08-05-2013, 06:26 PM
Their coach is a question mark.

Still better than D'Antoni.

D-Leethal
08-05-2013, 06:32 PM
What kind of closing lineups do you envision?

I imagine Kidd is going to close with Deron-Joe-Pierce-KG-Brook, but I think there are times they will be better suited sliding AK for Brook (moving KG to C) or one of Joe/Pierce. I am not sure Kidd will have the balls to bench Joe/Pierce to close the game. I think there might be times you see Brook sit to close games, especially against teams that are gonna spread you out and run high pick and rolls. He becomes a liability there and KG with his pick and pop game is more than adequate enough to close games offensively if you combine it with guys like DWill, Joe, Pierce who can all score as well.

Its kind of a tough spot if he did want to bench one of JJ/Pierce in certain scenarios, Pierce would get burned by most 2s defensively, and there is no way he is gonna sit Pierce.

But I just don't see that starting lineup having too much success. Too many guys who are too slow to guard their position, not enough guys to bring defense and intangibles, too many guys used to being scorers that are now going to have to become role players and I am not a believer that the transition to a lesser role, and molding into an intangible player, is an easy one for most older stars. I think subbing Pierce/Joe for AK completely flips the script at least on paper IMO.

Also, Pierce was not a liability defensively last year. He knows the angles, he has defensive chemistry with KG, and hes never been a defender who relies on his quickness. Hes getting to that age where its no longer a strength but would you consider Ron Artest a liability defensively?

2 years ago I agree with you, he's never been the fastest guy but the dude moves like a slug now. From what I saw, they were hiding him on D most of the year. He will still make some positive plays with his smarts and positioning in the same way a guy like Jason Kidd could occasionally on PGs last year, but the majority of the time he's getting burned. I'm gonna have to disagree with you there.

And I think Ron is a defensive liability against most 3s at this point but I think he can be a major plus against 4s, similar to the way Kidd was a huge liability on 1s but made a positive impact on 2s. .

Captain Moroni
08-05-2013, 07:04 PM
I imagine Kidd is going to close with Deron-Joe-Pierce-KG-Brook, but I think there are times they will be better suited sliding AK for Brook (moving KG to C) or one of Joe/Pierce. I am not sure Kidd will have the balls to bench Joe/Pierce to close the game. I think there might be times you see Brook sit to close games, especially against teams that are gonna spread you out and run high pick and rolls. He becomes a liability there and KG with his pick and pop game is more than adequate enough to close games offensively if you combine it with guys like DWill, Joe, Pierce who can all score as well.

Its kind of a tough spot if he did want to bench one of JJ/Pierce in certain scenarios, Pierce would get burned by most 2s defensively, and there is no way he is gonna sit Pierce.

But I just don't see that starting lineup having too much success. Too many guys who are too slow to guard their position, not enough guys to bring defense and intangibles, too many guys used to being scorers that are now going to have to become role players and I am not a believer that the transition to a lesser role, and molding into an intangible player, is an easy one for most older stars. I think subbing Pierce/Joe for AK completely flips the script at least on paper IMO.

2 years ago I agree with you, he's never been the fastest guy but the dude moves like a slug now. From what I saw, they were hiding him on D most of the year. He will still make some positive plays with his smarts and positioning in the same way a guy like Jason Kidd could occasionally on PGs last year, but the majority of the time he's getting burned. I'm gonna have to disagree with you there.

And I think Ron is a defensive liability against most 3s at this point but I think he can be a major plus against 4s.

I agree.

dalton749
08-05-2013, 08:17 PM
pierce should come off the bench and play a point forward role

SportsFanatic10
08-05-2013, 10:04 PM
i think the nets team fits together better then the lakers did. with the lakers nash was marginalized by kobe taking the ball out of his hands. for the nets dwill is going to be doing the majority of the ballhandling, and then you have a go to closer in peirce as well as a good front court. the lakers front court of gasol and howard both wanted to play in the paint, but here lopez will handle the low post and kg can use his fantastic midrange game with lopez also being able to shoot they can switch at times no problem. also the nets have a deeper bench then the lakers. but with the age of some of their players injuries could possibly play a factor, i'd expect them not to push too hard for a top 1 or 2 seed in favor of resting garnett and pierce on certain nights. a big question mark is with the coaching of course, it will be interesting to see how kidd does off the bat.

Lake_Show2416
08-05-2013, 10:19 PM
dont get injured, sacrifice for each other & players need to try, play with 100% heart

Lakers last year were pledged with injuries last year mainly Nash, Pau & Dwight, Also Dwight after a few games into the season never gave me the impression that he cared to play up to his capabilities, wanted things to be easy

Sssmush
08-05-2013, 11:21 PM

Allow me to break it down:

Everyone can now see, with 20/20 hindsight, that Dwight Howard was an INCREDIBLE negative energy
and bad influence on the Lakers. He couldn't stand being on the Lakers, he faked a zillion smiles, it took all his effort to keep from saying stupid things all year and he deeply resented Kobe Bryant and the Laker tradition for demanding that he act professional and for not living up to Laker standards and being dramatically outplayed by Kobe for 100% of every minute of every game last season.

The Lakers made the playoffs IN SPITE OF Dwight, and his presence dragged them down every minute.

Brooklyn's situation is far different. You've added two super good players with winning mentalities in Garnett and Pierce; I don't think there's any comparison. My only question is whether D-Will and the Nets were any good to begin with, and if there is really that much of an impressive or championship roster now in Brooklyn.

So, Brooklyn's problem isn't to avoid collapsing under the weight of their massive basketball talent and the universal expectations that they will be in the NBA Finals. It's more like, can Deron Williams play a complete season? Can he finally have a decent season since leaving Utah? Can their center Brook Lopez have a halfway decent year and play some defense? Do Garnett and Pierce have anything left in the tank?

Brooklyn is more of a longshot underdog if you ask me. Who cares how much money they spent? What does that have to do with anything? They are underdogs, probably the 4th team in the East, and they have to go out there and play awesome and have everything come together for them under a rookie head coach for them to have a chance to get there.

I don't see how there are ANY expectations on the Nets right now... there is a lot of curiosity and people want to see Pierce in a new uniform, but there are no real expectations.

Trueblue2
08-06-2013, 06:55 PM

If one of those guys gets hurt theyre still a good team. Lopez goes down and they got:

Williams
Johnson/terry
Pierce
Ak47/evans/teletovic
Garnett/blatche

Williams goes down and they got:

Terry/jj
Johnson/pierce/livingston
Pierce/ak47
Garnett/ak47/evans/teletovic
Lopez/blatche/evans

Either way they still have a good team. They probably should sign a back up pg (mo williams would be a good). But they have enough depth to where one injury wont hurt them too bad, even if its to a key player. I dont see williams and lopez both missing significant time to injury.

They need to go out and sign mo williams or at very least d.west. Have mo and terry back up both guard spots. Ak47 backing up both F spots. And blatche and evans splitting whatever time is left at pf/c. One more solid g addition makes this team great.