PDA

View Full Version : Kevin Durant VS Greg Oden (without injury)

TheNumber37
08-03-2013, 02:11 PM
Greg Oden famously went number 1 in the 2007 Draft Over Kevin Durant.

Question: For what Greg Oden was projected to be, assuming he lived up to that, do you still pick over Durant? I think a lot of us, didn't know Durant was going to be this good, so the answer may be different for some.

My argument is that I think With the way Durant is playing the game today, he has already surpassed the supposed 'Once in a generation' Center that Oden was supposed to be.

KD averaged 28, 8 and 4 last year in the 50,40, 90 club.

What kind of player would Oden have to be to justified going number 1?
16, 14, and more than 3 blocks DPOY.. doesn't even seem like enough.

Thoughts?

I Rock Shaqs
08-03-2013, 02:22 PM
Gosh these threads are stupid as hell.

SMH!
08-03-2013, 02:25 PM
you "think" durant has already passed Oden?

Minimal
08-03-2013, 02:28 PM
He was 17 and 13 guy, with 3.5 BPG and 60% FG in 36 minutes, in his 2nd year, before he went down. He was on his way to becoming the best center in NBA, that clearly justifies number 1 draft pick considering how weak center position is nowadays.

TheNumber37
08-03-2013, 02:29 PM
Oh, so you guys don't have opinions on the topic. That's nice.

It's a simple question. How good would Oden have to be Today, to be worthy of the number 1 pick?
Are you guys basketball fans or trolls?

Eagles710
08-03-2013, 02:31 PM
What makes you think like this ?
Why would you make such a dumb thread ?
YOU THINK! Durant Passed Oden !

If you waiting for someone here to be like ... Hey! Great Thread! , its not happening lol

Eagles710
08-03-2013, 02:33 PM
Oh, so you guys don't have opinions on the topic. That's nice.

It's a simple question. How good would Oden have to be Today, to be worthy of the number 1 pick?
Are you guys basketball fans or trolls?

Basketball fans... You seem to like to a lot of fictional Ideas though... Its not real! Oden was a bust .. BOTTOM LINE! No reason to go further

Go make a thread about Sam Bowie Vs Jordan

TheNumber37
08-03-2013, 02:36 PM
He was 17 and 13 guy, with 3.5 BPG and 60% FG in 36 minutes, in his 2nd year, before he went down. He was on his way to becoming the best center in NBA, that clearly justifies number 1 draft pick considering his position.

So his value is higher than KD's because of his position? I overlooked that, that's a fair and relevant point to post in this thread.

I think Oden would have to be up in the 22ppg range with the boards D and to justify the pick. Don't know if he was headed towards that.

TheNumber37
08-03-2013, 02:38 PM
I THINK Durant has surpassed the Player ODEN was SUPPOSED to be.
NOT - Oh Yeah, Durant is better than Oden today.

As in, quote the whole sentence.

TheNumber37
08-03-2013, 02:39 PM
Basketball fans... You seem to like to a lot of fictional Ideas though... Its not real! Oden was a bust .. BOTTOM LINE! No reason to go further

This thread is about 2 players who are now currently in the NBA. At least make your arguments symmetrical.

WITZ
08-03-2013, 02:42 PM
He was 17 and 13 guy, with 3.5 BPG and 60% FG in 36 minutes, in his 2nd year, before he went down. He was on his way to becoming the best center in NBA, that clearly justifies number 1 draft pick considering how weak center position is nowadays.

He was an 11 and 8 with 2. 3 blocks and averaging 4 fouls a game in 24 minutes not sure where you got those stats from :laugh2: 60% FG was right tho.

Minimal
08-03-2013, 02:46 PM

You don't call someone who played great before receiving an injury and not being able to play a bust. You call Kwame Brown, Darko Milicic or Adam Morrison a bust. Not Greg Oden, Brandon Roy or Yao Ming.

tredigs
08-03-2013, 02:50 PM

But, "per-36" doesn't really work for a guy who can't play 36 minutes. Health aside, per-36 he would foul out of every game. His rebounding style was just to lay on peoples backs and reach over for the ball. Very awkward player.

TheNumber37
08-03-2013, 02:55 PM
But, "per-36" doesn't really work for a guy who can't play 36 minutes. Health aside, per-36 he would foul out of every game. His rebounding style was just to lay on peoples backs and reach over for the ball. Very awkward player.

Hmm.. Yeah. Per 36, he has 6 fouls per game, lol. With his style he could only play about 24-30 minutes. He'd basically be a taller, shot block oriented version of Anderson Varejao.

Not, good enough to be the Number 1 pick, based on the KD we see today.

Minimal
08-03-2013, 03:00 PM
Well yeah. 6 fouls in 36 minutes is real bad. But I think its rather a common problem with young centers in the league, which disappears with time, letting him play more and more minutes each season. Heck Roy Hibbert was averaging 7.7 PF in 36 minutes his rookie season, he is now at 4.4.

Chronz
08-03-2013, 03:04 PM

I agree with this

Chronz
08-03-2013, 03:06 PM
Well yeah. 6 fouls in 36 minutes is real bad. But I think its rather a common problem with young centers in the league, which disappears with time, letting him play more and more minutes each season.
Again this.... so much

tredigs
08-03-2013, 03:15 PM
Well yeah. 6 fouls in 36 minutes is real bad. But I think its rather a common problem with young centers in the league, which disappears with time, letting him play more and more minutes each season.

Regardless, even in 25 minutes his impact is large, that much wasn't a question. It's going to be painful to watch if he goes down again, though. I'm hoping he can salvage a career there.

THE MTL
08-03-2013, 03:37 PM
I hate per 36 stats cause they never tell the whole story. If those "per 36" players are so great then why dont they play 36mpg???? Usually these guys produce hihg energy for short bursts of playing time and fizzle out/foul out/etc which is why they get taken out.

ztilzer31
08-03-2013, 03:41 PM
I honestly thought Portland made the smart pick with Oden when they got him. I was hoping they'd pick KD so the Sonics could nab him, and I'm not a guy who likes drafting Centers too much.

No one can blame Portland for grabbing him. He looked like an easy pick for a 30+ min defensive dominant center with a raw offensive game that could definitely improve. Oden was amazing in college. Plus Portland already had Roy and Aldridge. Roy was a great defender right out of college, and adding Oden would put them as the best front court in the NBA, and a team with great defensive presence.

Too bad what happened to that team. The league would be so much different. I don't think anyone would pick Oden given what we know now (Durant is overshadowed by LBJ, but he really is a once in a lifetime type player) however Oden was definitely thought to be the safer pick.

Yankeefan213
08-03-2013, 03:50 PM
When that draft happened I said Durant should go first not oden. But not cause of injury, I just thought Durant was the better player

Hawkeye15
08-03-2013, 04:04 PM
I don't think Oden ever stayed healthy enough to develop into a dominant big man. If he had never seen injury issues, he would have been a dominant defensive presence, but always fought foul trouble. I would guess a 18-13-3 with great paint protection numbers is what we would have seen.

KingstonHawke
08-03-2013, 04:16 PM
I didn't know Oden would get hurt and I thought it was crazy that the Blazers weren't picking Durant 1st. They had Telfair, Roy, and Aldridge. And they needed both positions. I thought they could've gone after Chandler at that time who wasn't rated nearly as high as he is now.

Maybe this is just my opinion, and admittedly I don't watch as much college ball as a lot of people do, but Durant is the best college basketball player I've ever actually watched (while he was playing). He was God at Texas. I couldn't tell if he was playing the two or the five at times. He would shoot a three, crash the board, and then do a back to the basket move and finish over the opposing center. He could run, etc.

I even felt like Seattle messed up by trading Allen. They had Ridnour at the time who I always have thought is underrated. So between him, Allen, Durant, and Lewis. I just thought you add a defensive/rebounding center (admittedly I really liked Chandler for that team too). And I thought they would be instant contenders. I'm really high on Lewis also.

Man, I wish I'd of got to see that team play for at least a year.

Hawkeye15
08-03-2013, 04:19 PM
I didn't know Oden would get hurt and I thought it was crazy that the Blazers weren't picking Durant 1st. They had Telfair, Roy, and Aldridge. And they needed both positions. I thought they could've gone after Chandler at that time who wasn't rated nearly as high as he is now.

Maybe this is just my opinion, and admittedly I don't watch as much college ball as a lot of people do, but Durant is the best college basketball player I've ever actually watched (while he was playing). He was God at Texas. I couldn't tell if he was playing the two or the five at times. He would shoot a three, crash the board, and then do a back to the basket move and finish over the opposing center. He could run, etc.

I even felt like Seattle messed up by trading Allen. They had Ridnour at the time who I always have thought is underrated. So between him, Allen, Durant, and Lewis. I just thought you add a defensive/rebounding center (admittedly I really liked Chandler for that team too). And I thought they would be instant contenders. I'm really high on Lewis also.

Man, I wish I'd of got to see that team play for at least a year.

In this current generation, Melo was probably even better in college.

dnl123
08-03-2013, 04:43 PM
In this current generation, Melo was probably even better in college.

Melo and Durant were ridiculous in college. I remember the draft like it was yesterday. I strongly believed Durant was going to dominate in the NBA, and if I'm not mistaken Oden had injury concerns before he was even drafted.

IKnowHoops
08-03-2013, 05:09 PM
Originally Posted by Eagles710

So is Len Bias a bust too? Jason Williams a bust?

You don't call someone who played great before receiving an injury and not being able to play a bust. You call Kwame Brown, Darko Milicic or Adam Morrison a bust. Not Greg Oden, Brandon Roy or Yao Ming.

Agreed.

Hawkeye15
08-03-2013, 05:11 PM
Melo and Durant were ridiculous in college. I remember the draft like it was yesterday. I strongly believed Durant was going to dominate in the NBA, and if I'm not mistaken Oden had injury concerns before he was even drafted.

well, he had broken his wrist, but I don't believe he had any other concerns at that time.

MTar786
08-03-2013, 05:17 PM

ofcourse hes a bust. it doesnt matter if he was heading to be a great player or not. if you dont produce you dont produce. its as simple as that. by your logic tmac should be top 25-30 all time. but no, he is not on the list because he was injured so very often. oden didn't help out the franchis ehe played for. he didnt give them a future, nor did he provide them with any sort of asset or something they could have called a worthy investment. That is what you call a bust

Minimal
08-03-2013, 05:39 PM
ofcourse hes a bust. it doesnt matter if he was heading to be a great player or not. if you dont produce you dont produce. its as simple as that. by your logic tmac should be top 25-30 all time. but no, he is not on the list because he was injured so very often. oden didn't help out the franchis ehe played for. he didnt give them a future, nor did he provide them with any sort of asset or something they could have called a worthy investment. That is what you call a bust
Your Tmac logic... Obviously he is not top 30 all time, because he fell off, but did I call Oden the best center in nba or smth?
Oden was really humble, worked hard and played great for the time he was given. By calling such a player a "bust" you are showing disrespect to a player. And Oden went through that after he was injured, a "bust" mark from the haters for working hard and doing your best? It wasn't his fault he got injured is it? Every player can get injured and stop playing. What if LeBron got killed by some psycho in his sophromone year, would you call him a bust too? What if Durant takes a plane that crashes, would you call him a bust?

JNA17
08-03-2013, 06:12 PM
Stupid question. Oden has never been healthy since his senior year of high school. Durant is and has always been the best player from the draft.

topdog
08-03-2013, 07:36 PM
Remember that part of the Oden selection was fit. Portland already had Aldridge and Roy to score the ball. What they needed was a force in the middle and there was no way to trade down and select Oden since Seattle had no incentive to trade up.

I would have projected Oden as something of a 15ppg, 12rpg, 2.5blk type player on high efficiency field goal percentage and some good free throw numbers. Now, those aren't 2nd best player in the league numbers but they'd have worked pretty well with Roy and Aldridge or a number of other teams already possessing wing scorers.

5ass
08-03-2013, 08:06 PM
He would probably be as good as dwight howard. Maybe better.

Jumba
08-03-2013, 08:31 PM
I didn't know HEAT fans had to defend Oden like they ****in drafted him. Sheesh you've had him for 24 hours and I doubt he plays more than 30 games this next season. Granted that would be close to nearly half of his career which is a good start for Oden.

topdog
08-03-2013, 09:00 PM
I'm rooting for a healthy Oden. He'll undoubtedly go down on the all-time "what if?" list with Len Bias, Grant Hill and the others but it'd be nice for him to have a couple Grant Hill-like years of closure where he stays on the court and looks like a quality player.

Chronz
08-03-2013, 09:32 PM
I hate per 36 stats cause they never tell the whole story. If those "per 36" players are so great then why dont they play 36mpg???? Usually these guys produce hihg energy for short bursts of playing time and fizzle out/foul out/etc which is why they get taken out.
Thats actually not true

MTar786
08-03-2013, 11:28 PM
Your Tmac logic... Obviously he is not top 30 all time, because he fell off, but did I call Oden the best center in nba or smth?
Oden was really humble, worked hard and played great for the time he was given. By calling such a player a "bust" you are showing disrespect to a player. And Oden went through that after he was injured, a "bust" mark from the haters for working hard and doing your best? It wasn't his fault he got injured is it? Every player can get injured and stop playing. What if LeBron got killed by some psycho in his sophromone year, would you call him a bust too? What if Durant takes a plane that crashes, would you call him a bust?

i understand what youre trying to say. but your examples arent good. injuries are part of a persons dna. some are more prone to them. thats why i made reference to tmac. if lebron got shot that would have nothin to do with him or his body. being in the nba is not just your skill. its you as a whole. its you and your dna being invested in. just as oden was born with natural talent and amazing height. he is also born to have a defective injury ridden life. that sucks and its tragic, but it is what it is. had he not been injured we wouldn't know how great he could be. i personally think he would have been a bynum with better defense.

also i would just like to say that im sure kwame worked hard, and all the other draft busts. its disrespectful to them to even imply that they didn't. just like u say its not odens fault for having injuries. is it their fault their games didnt translate well in the nba?

carlthack
08-03-2013, 11:44 PM
There is no real way to determine how good Oden is without injury since he has never played in the league without one. We saw him play healthy for a little while in college but we cant compare college kids to the NBA.

I dont even consider Greg Oden an NBA player. He might be a basketball player (a fragile one) but not an NBA player because he has a body that cannot handle an NBA season. Not even half of a season.

Sly Guy
08-04-2013, 10:16 AM
This thread is about 2 players who are now currently in the NBA. At least make your arguments symmetrical.

he did. Bowie and jordan are no longer playing in the NBA....

b@llhog24
08-04-2013, 07:57 PM
KD's last season was better than anything I'd ever imagine Oden putting forth. But doesn't mean that Oden wasn't a justifiable pick talent wise and he'd probably have more value around the league than KD if he was healthy.