PDA

View Full Version : Greg Oden agrees to join Miami Heat

4milesperday
08-02-2013, 08:53 PM
http://espn.go.com/nba/truehoop/miamiheat/story/_/id/9533451/former-no-1-pick-greg-oden-sign-miami-heat

Thoughts?

2yr deal with player option for year 2 via ESPN

sunsfan88
08-02-2013, 08:54 PM
Will be interesting to see if he can make a Ray Allen type impact there.

Source btw?

4milesperday
08-02-2013, 08:56 PM
Will be interesting to see if he can make a Ray Allen type impact there.

Source btw?

ESPN is reporting it

Iron24th
08-02-2013, 09:00 PM
If it's a brandon roy comeback 2.0, it will be a fail, but if he's healthy miami got his C to make a possible threepeat.

Mrphilly
08-02-2013, 09:07 PM
If it's a brandon roy comeback 2.0, it will be a fail, but if he's healthy miami got his C to make a possible threepeat.

He hasnt been healthy since he was a teenager.

justinnum1
08-02-2013, 09:08 PM
:dance:

JerseyPalahniuk
08-02-2013, 09:08 PM
Absolute steal if he stays healthy. Bad move if he gets hurt and is out for the playoffs (Heat could've used whatever he's going to take of the MLE on another more reliable big).

EDIT: Didn't know it was a vet's min when I posted this, great move.

Oh the irony of Oden possibly getting a ring before Durant hahaha

4milesperday
08-02-2013, 09:10 PM
Absolute steal if he stays healthy. Bad move if he gets hurt and is out for the playoffs (Heat could've used whatever he's going to take of the MLE on another more reliable big).

It was league minimum, meaning they can still sign Mo williams for vet minimum

4milesperday
08-02-2013, 09:11 PM
:dance:

:dance::dance::dance::dance::dance:

HuRRiCaNeS324
08-02-2013, 09:11 PM

This is not a bad deal regardless of what happens with him

Its zero risk, high reward.

4milesperday
08-02-2013, 09:13 PM
This is not a bad deal regardless of what happens with him

Its zero risk, high reward.

Makes less than james Jones is making. Zero risk!

More-Than-Most
This could be a massive steal... No risk/High reward deal

justinnum1

EDIT: Didn't know it was a vet's min when he signed, good move

still have the mmle :)

JerseyPalahniuk
It was league minimum, meaning they can still sign Mo williams for vet minimum

Great move then, edited post.

TeamSeattle
08-02-2013, 09:14 PM
This could be a massive steal... No risk/High reward deal

hmm....

JerseyPalahniuk
08-02-2013, 09:16 PM
dupe

bearadonisdna
08-02-2013, 09:20 PM
Its funny how guys who play a game in doors and in shorts for millions care about the weather.

MiamiBoy77
08-02-2013, 09:21 PM
Lets ****in go

HuRRiCaNeS324
08-02-2013, 09:21 PM
Its funny how guys who play a game in doors and in shorts for millions care about the weather.

Top 3 dumbest things i've read here

bearadonisdna
08-02-2013, 09:22 PM
Lets ****in go

To the hospital. For his weekly checkup.

bearadonisdna
08-02-2013, 09:23 PM
Top 3 dumbest things i've read here

Really. Not any dumber than guys becoming meteorologist when they play a game indoors and in shorts?

TeamSeattle
08-02-2013, 09:23 PM

#glassmanJones

jp611
08-02-2013, 09:24 PM
Over/under 10 games played in a Miami Heat jersey for Greg Oden? GO

JerseyPalahniuk
Oden on why he chose Miami:

http://www.grantland.com/blog/the-triangle/post/_/id/70297/grantland-exclusive-greg-oden-on-why-he-chose-miami

Only Oden quotes:

"Obviously the chance to play with the best player in the world and compete for a championship was a big selling point," Oden told me. "But more than that, what I really liked was how they thought I could really add something to their team. They’ve won back-to-back championships without me, so for them to pursue me as hard as they did meant a lot, especially given all that I’ve gone through."

"The past six years have been tough for me," Oden said, "but there’s nothing I can do about it now. The past is the past. All I’m focused on is right now. And right now I feel great and I’m looking forward to playing again.”

“The cool thing about playing for the Heat is when you’re LeBron’s teammate and you screw up, nobody gets mad at you for missing a shot or turning the ball over — they get mad at LeBron for passing to you in the first place,” Oden joked.

"There’s a lot to be excited about in joining the NBA champions, getting to play with some great players, and living in Miami. But honestly, the thing I’m most excited about is just being able to play basketball again. It’s been a long and challenging road back, so just having the chance to play the game I love again has me more excited than anything else.”

Dade County

salty...

I think everyone in their heart of hearts, that Oden will make a come back, and it will be one of the best comeback stories ever.

Like I stated in a thread a while ago, Oden will win a ring before KD lol

HuRRiCaNeS324
08-02-2013, 09:25 PM
Really. Not any dumber than guys becoming meteorologist when they play a game indoors and in shorts?

You understand that he will LIVE in that city for 2 years and the actual time he spends playing is 3 hours max

bearadonisdna
08-02-2013, 09:25 PM
#glassmanJones

lol+1

KG2TB
08-02-2013, 09:26 PM
3 microfracture surgeries....

don't know if anything else really needs to be said. i wish him the best and MAYBE he could be healthy for the playoffs which would be huge...and it is a low risk\high reward type of situation but still...odds aren't good

bearadonisdna
08-02-2013, 09:27 PM
Oden on why he chose Miami:

http://www.grantland.com/blog/the-triangle/post/_/id/70297/grantland-exclusive-greg-oden-on-why-he-chose-miami

Only Oden quotes:

Well oden, i was rooting for u, now im hoping for a face plant.

numba1CHANGsta
08-02-2013, 09:28 PM
Just another bandwagon player riding on LeBronz nutz

Dade County
08-02-2013, 09:28 PM
http://www.grantland.com/blog/the-tr...he-chose-miami

Only Oden quotes:

"Obviously the chance to play with the best player in the world and compete for a championship was a big selling point," Oden told me. "But more than that, what I really liked was how they thought I could really add something to their team. Theyíve won back-to-back championships without me, so for them to pursue me as hard as they did meant a lot, especially given all that Iíve gone through."

"The past six years have been tough for me," Oden said, "but thereís nothing I can do about it now. The past is the past. All Iím focused on is right now. And right now I feel great and Iím looking forward to playing again.Ē

ďThe cool thing about playing for the Heat is when youíre LeBronís teammate and you screw up, nobody gets mad at you for missing a shot or turning the ball over ó they get mad at LeBron for passing to you in the first place,Ē Oden joked.

"Thereís a lot to be excited about in joining the NBA champions, getting to play with some great players, and living in Miami. But honestly, the thing Iím most excited about is just being able to play basketball again. Itís been a long and challenging road back, so just having the chance to play the game I love again has me more excited than anything else.Ē

lol... I hope fans don't start to hate on him now because he joined the HEAT. this can be one of the best feel good come back stories ever.

TeamSeattle
08-02-2013, 09:29 PM

lol... I hope fans don't start to hate on him now because he joined the HEAT. this can be one of the best feel good come back stories ever.

Your kidding right? Every move the Heat make is genius for the media.

Gators123
08-02-2013, 09:30 PM

unbelievable. How much time does he need? I'm rooting for him, but if hes not ready by now, will he ever be ready to play?

Dade County
08-02-2013, 09:30 PM
Well oden, i was rooting for u, now im hoping for a face plant.

And it begins...smh

bearadonisdna
08-02-2013, 09:31 PM
Now thats stupid.
6 months out of the year the weather in the country is almost exactly the same.

beasted86
08-02-2013, 09:32 PM
He's gotta be better than Dexter Pittman and Eddy Curry.... I will GLADLY take him for the minimum.

FlakeyFool
08-02-2013, 09:33 PM
Breaking news: Greg Oden is hurt

BigBlueCrew
08-02-2013, 09:33 PM
Thoughts?

2yr deal with player option for year 2 via ESPN

:sleep:

ESPN: Can you tell us where you are going to sign Greg?

Oden: Ive decided to take my injuries down to South Beach

WITZ
08-02-2013, 09:34 PM
Over/Under 10 total games played?

Im going over and around 15ish games

TeamSeattle
:sleep:

ESPN: Can you tell us where you are going to sign Greg?

Oden: Ive decided to take my injuries down to South Beach

Miami could sign Marcus Camby and the media would say his career would be revitalized.

bearadonisdna

unbelievable. How much time does he need? I'm rooting for him, but if hes not ready by now, will he ever be ready to play?

Wow.

bearadonisdna
08-02-2013, 09:36 PM
The word was that he was working out in a hospital. That isnt normal.

JerseyPalahniuk
08-02-2013, 09:37 PM

way to just copy and paste my post

Slug3
08-02-2013, 09:37 PM

He has to be somewhat timmed. Also he hasn't played in like 3 or so years so might not be game shape. Who knows. He may have no impact.

JdKing7
08-02-2013, 09:38 PM
If somehow he is healthy it's game over.

4milesperday
08-02-2013, 09:40 PM
If somehow he is healthy it's game over.

dude grabs 7 rebounds in less than 20 minutes, all Miami needs.

SteBO
08-02-2013, 09:43 PM
All Miami fans can do now is hope and pray he stays healthy for a full season, or at the very least close to it. Great move for Miami.....just what they needed.

bearadonisdna
08-02-2013, 09:44 PM
dude grabs 7 rebounds in less than 20 minutes, all Miami needs.
Hes gotta be able to get on the court first.

OceanSpray
08-02-2013, 09:47 PM
Woah, grabbing Oden/Mo would be huge pickups. Would definitely make amnestying Miller reasonable.

rockbottom2010
08-02-2013, 09:48 PM
Yahoo!

rockbottom2010
08-02-2013, 09:49 PM
this is the reason why u can't **** with pat riley

Riodagoat
08-02-2013, 09:50 PM
When I read the news, I was like meh. But when I found out it was for a minimum contract, I was like holy ****.
This is close to a zero risk signing for Miami. Even if it doesn't pan out, if wouldn't hurt their pocket much. Besides, people don't expect him to play like a first pick. He just need to play maybe around 10-15 minutes, grab a few rebounds, make some defensive plays.

And all you hating skunks, you would gladly take Lebron's dad for the minimum any time of the day. There's a reason multiple teams were pursuing this guy. Y'all are too jealous that the Godfather pulled it off again.

Teeboy1487
08-02-2013, 09:51 PM
Great move by the Heat. I think he will be an immediate impact because of his defensive ability. I'm rooting for the Heat. As long as Dwight doesn't win.

jp611
08-02-2013, 09:53 PM
This is funny, overreactions on a guy who probably won't play much.

He might grab 7 rebounds his entire career for the Heat before he needs microfracture surgery AGAIN

TeamSeattle
08-02-2013, 09:55 PM

He might grab 7 rebounds his entire career for the Heat before he needs microfracture surgery AGAIN

He hasn't even played in 3 years and has no knees but he'll be GREAT for Miami.

MrfadeawayJB
If he plays in the playoffs and Miami doesn't win it all that's an epic fail

JerseyPalahniuk

This is funny, overreactions on a guy who's only being played the Vet's min.

bearadonisdna
08-02-2013, 09:57 PM
When I read the news, I was like meh. But when I found out it was for a minimum contract, I was like holy ****.
This is close to a zero risk signing for Miami. Even if it doesn't pan out, if wouldn't hurt their pocket much. Besides, people don't expect him to play like a first pick. He just need to play maybe around 10-15 minutes, grab a few rebounds, make some defensive plays.

And all you hating skunks, you would gladly take Lebron's dad for the minimum any time of the day. There's a reason multiple teams were pursuing this guy. Y'all are too jealous that the Godfather pulled it off again.

This guy hasnt played in the nba in 3 years. And isnt healthy right now.

J_M_B
08-02-2013, 09:58 PM

They've won back to back titles. How is not winning a third in a row an epic fail?

sunsfan88
08-02-2013, 09:59 PM
Lol the funniest thing is that Mark Cuban got spurned again lol.

bearadonisdna
08-02-2013, 10:01 PM
deletion.

MrfadeawayJB

They've won back to back titles. How is not winning a third in a row an epic fail?

Because whenever oden is healthy enough to play he has a tremendous effect on a game. Miami has a weakness which is rebounding and post defense. Adding oden eliminates any weakness. Thus, anything short if a championship is a failure

sammid21
Well lebron never gets injured and wade recovers quick and the biogenesis clinic is a hop, skip, and a jump away from the heat arena, now I get why he chose Miami. LBJ needs a lot of help to win a title i see lol jk. They both look alike too kinda. The old cave man look

Slug3
08-02-2013, 10:03 PM

Who knows what he will be.

gotoHcarolina52
08-02-2013, 10:06 PM
Lol the funniest thing is that Mark Cuban got spurned again lol.

:laugh:

SteBO
08-02-2013, 10:10 PM

Hey guys guess what? It's for the vet min. No risk involved.....

rockbottom2010
08-02-2013, 10:12 PM
Well lebron never gets injured and wade recovers quick and the biogenesis clinic is a hop, skip, and a jump away from the heat arena, now I get why he chose Miami. LBJ needs a lot of help to win a title i see lol jk. They both look alike too kinda. The old cave man look

dude...have u seen the side effects of the peds from the biogenesis clinic.If not, go figure

devilsheat25
08-02-2013, 10:15 PM
nevermind

dwoyo
Low risk, potential high reward signing. I love it.

TheNumber37
really a dumb move. its ring and glory chasing at this point.

Best position to win, but not improve or learn anything. shoulda went to Spurs..

at some point they are gonna lean on him and he's gonna break. he has no offense and no one there to teach him. he's not even a "finisher."

if this is their big off season move... its a sad one. go get mo Williams for the min.

devilsheat25
08-02-2013, 10:16 PM
really a dumb move. its ring and glory chasing at this point.

Best position to win, but not improve or learn anything. shoulda went to Spurs..

at some point they are gonna lean on him and he's gonna break. he has no offense and no one there to teach him. he's not even a "finisher."

if this is their big off season move... its a sad one. go get mo Williams for the min.

lol.

dee279
08-02-2013, 10:18 PM
:dance::dance::dance:
:dance::dance::dance::dance::dance:

:dance: :dance: :dance::dance::dance::dance::dance::dance::dance:: dance::dance::dance::dance::dance::dance2:

bootleg42
08-02-2013, 10:19 PM
Great move for Miami.

So far, the Heat, Nets, and Raptors have had the best offseasons.

The Heat got themselves a potential steal in Oden.

The Nets got themselves a legit 2 year run when they got Garnett and Pierce.

The Raptors rid themselves of the worst number 1 overall pick of all time in trading away Bargnani (which was a dumb move by the Knicks by the way).

EDIT: Correction. Bargnani is not the worst number 1 overall pick of all time. I forgot Kwame Brown and Olawakandi.

Andrea Bargnani is the third worst overall number 1 pick of all time.

Pakman
08-02-2013, 10:25 PM
Miami fans are hilarious. If I just read the comments without the title I'd think they landed andrew bynum not greg oden. Lulz.

daleja424
08-02-2013, 10:29 PM
I don't understand anyone hating on this tbh. There were a half dozen teams that watched him worm out and offered a contract including the two teams from the finals last year...

Clearly some pretty intelligent basketball minds believe he still has it in him and believe he is/will be healthy.

Bruno
08-02-2013, 10:30 PM
this is the reason why u can't **** with pat riley

shaq could have used this advice a few years back.

bearadonisdna
08-02-2013, 10:30 PM
Great move for Miami.

The Raptors rid themselves of the worst number 1 overall pick of all time in trading away Bargnani (which was a dumb move by the Knicks by the way).

EDIT: Correction. Bargnani is not the worst number 1 overall pick of all time. I forgot Kwame Brown and Olawakandi.

Oden is definitely in the conversation. Should easily be in front of Bargnani who at least has had an NBA career. Unless this is just blatant Knick trolling.

ryang
08-02-2013, 10:37 PM
IF he stays healthy and plays well this will get him a nice contract next year. Hopefully those knees hold up.

rockbottom2010
08-02-2013, 10:41 PM
shaq could have used this advice a few years back.

well he ended up getting a ring in 2006...better later than never...

bootleg42
08-02-2013, 10:41 PM
Great move for Miami.

Oden is definitely in the conversation. Should easily be in front of Bargnani who at least has had an NBA career. Unless this is just blatant Knick trolling.

I would agree though Oden wasn't a bust because he stunk. He was a bust because he got hurt.

Bargnani on the other hand played plenty (even though he was hurt this past season). The fans HATED him. The Raptors were willing to give him away for free.

Oden at least played well. Therefore Bargnani was more of a bust than Oden.

And I wasn't trying to troll the Knick fans. I'm a Knick fan. I'm just telling the truth as I see it.

rockbottom2010
08-02-2013, 10:42 PM
i think Pat Riley was impressed with his workout.....can't wait till the season starts
Oden and Birdman...interesting

setman2000
08-02-2013, 10:43 PM
Wow, what a gutsy, brave decision to join the Heat!

Aust
08-02-2013, 10:44 PM
Great idea. Play for Miami, try and stay healthy, win a ring and then next year try and get as much money as you can on the open market.

Bulls_fan90
08-02-2013, 10:45 PM
Waste of a roster spot. Will be a massive fail just like Roy.

bearadonisdna
08-02-2013, 10:45 PM
I would agree though Oden wasn't a bust because he stunk. He was a bust because he got hurt.

Bargnani on the other hand played plenty (even though he was hurt this past season). The fans HATED him. The Raptors were willing to give him away for free.

And I wasn't trying to troll the Knick fans. I'm a Knick fan. I'm just telling the truth as I see it.

Lol oh ok.
Thats cool u can be honest, but if u really had to draft one of these guys, u would draft Oden over Bargs? Bargs has had the exponentially more productive career, like u said basically just for being able to get on the court.

BigBlueCrew
08-02-2013, 10:48 PM

When the hell did this happen?

rockbottom2010
08-02-2013, 10:49 PM
Waste of a roster spot. Will be a massive fail just like Roy.

when he's worth a million dollars...its never a waste. Since your a bulls fan, get ready.

QueensG_718
08-02-2013, 10:52 PM
Lebron and odem look like two ugly brothers. Both of em look like they're 70.

DillyDill
08-02-2013, 10:53 PM
Damnn it's over for the league...a healthy Oden with the Big 3

Bruno
08-02-2013, 10:57 PM
well he ended up getting a ring in 2006...better later than never...

he needed that advice after you guys won in 2006.

Kyben36
08-02-2013, 11:01 PM
"IF" he can get healthy we are all in trouble. I still think he has the ability to be the best C in the nba, it just comes down to his health.

DillyDill
08-02-2013, 11:07 PM
"IF" he can get healthy we are all in trouble. I still think he has the ability to be the best C in the nba, it just comes down to his health.

That's what I'm thinking to man...The heat are unstoppable now that's all they needed a rebounding defensive monster..No hate here just simply amazed of what a healthy Oden can do

MTL_123
08-02-2013, 11:12 PM
if he can stay healthy were set!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! cant wait til the season starts

Bulls_fan90
08-02-2013, 11:12 PM
oden old....hahahhaha......If you didn't know, Micky Arison is the 3rd richest owner in the NBA and 211th in the world. If you think money is an issue.....think again. Thats why the bulls can't give an extension to Luol Deng.

Lmao I was like Lmao. Let me break it down for those who are a little slower:

The old man Oden was referencing how Greg Oden looks, not his actual age. A little joke on my part..Although many do say he is LeBron's actual father.

As for the rest. Miami are a mere poverty franchise in comparison to the mighty Chicago Bulls. You will never compete with the big boys of the league, regardless of how wealthy your (Take note on the correct use of your) owner is. See the NBA uses a little thing called the salary cap and has a limit to how many roster spots a team can use. I'm sure these little things will become much more familiar to you once you really start following the NBA.

:)

rockbottom2010
08-02-2013, 11:14 PM
he needed that advice after you guys won in 2006.

Don't forget, Alonzo Mourning was the Center for the heat at that time.

MTL_123
08-02-2013, 11:14 PM
Chalmers
Wade
Lebron
Bosh
Oden

majmarcus
08-02-2013, 11:15 PM
Miami now has two of the oldest looking young dudes in the league...

ztilzer31
08-02-2013, 11:17 PM
Miami now has two of the oldest looking young dudes in the league...

Lol. It's so true.

RipCity32
08-02-2013, 11:18 PM
If he ends up getting healthy than Miami will be ridiculously good.I honestly think he is finished though.

hidalgo
08-02-2013, 11:19 PM
I think i'd feel better about them signing Olajuwon right now than Oden, that's how sure I am that Oden won't do anything, that I think Olajuwon right now at age 50 would be better, & less injury prone

just another failed low cost Center attempt by the Heat. Big Z, Turiof, Dampier, Maglore, Eddie Curry, Pittman. Oden soon to join that list. only Birdman worked thus far

I really like the Heat, & kinda hope they 3 peat, but I think Indiana, or Chi will take them out this year in 7 games

ztilzer31
08-02-2013, 11:21 PM
Real question is how many minutes can Oden play at the speed Miami plays.

I said it before if Miami gets Oden, and he's able to play even just 15-22 mins they have a chance at 70 wins. He can clear up their one weakness instantly...

If Bosh doesn't have to get **** on by centers all game he'll look better too. He'll be able to stretch the floor.

PG Chalmers/Cole
SG Wade
SF Battier
PF Bosh
C Oden

If that team is forreal, and plays to it's potential, it's by far the best defensive team in the league. Not even close. Plus I kind of expect Cole to step it up this year, but that's just me.

ztilzer31
08-02-2013, 11:23 PM
I think i'd feel better about them signing Olajuwon right now than Oden, that's how sure I am that Oden won't do anything, that I think Olajuwon right now at age 50 would be better, & less injury prone

Sarcasm aside I get your point, but that's why they signed him to a discount. Any team would take that deal.

Isammm
08-02-2013, 11:25 PM
Dont think they should get Mo, Norris Cole is a solid backup.

ztilzer31
08-02-2013, 11:27 PM
Norris should start IMO. Norris is a boss.

Tmath
08-02-2013, 11:33 PM
Oden looks like he could be LeBron's dad.

Punkindrublic03
08-02-2013, 11:48 PM
I wish nothing but the best for Greg... nobody deserves to suffer injury after injury like he has. I hope he has a healthy, productive season.

heyman321
08-02-2013, 11:56 PM
I hope he averages 15/8, and the Heat 3 peat, that would be nice on Lebron's resume.

Cromedome
08-02-2013, 11:59 PM
He's either getting hurt in preseason or the first 2 minutes of his first game.

How can anyone fault me for making such a statement?

Denver-boy
08-03-2013, 12:01 AM
breaking news..... greg oden agrees to 2 year deal with the heat.

30 minutes later

breaking news ..... greg oden has tore his acl and mcl.

Lakers Ghost
08-03-2013, 12:01 AM
low risk worth it

gotoHcarolina52
08-03-2013, 12:04 AM

IDunknown
08-03-2013, 12:13 AM
Real question is how many minutes can Oden play at the speed Miami plays.

I said it before if Miami gets Oden, and he's able to play even just 15-22 mins they have a chance at 70 wins. He can clear up their one weakness instantly...

If Bosh doesn't have to get **** on by centers all game he'll look better too. He'll be able to stretch the floor.

PG Chalmers/Cole
SG Wade
SF Battier
PF Bosh
C Oden

If that team is forreal, and plays to it's potential, it's by far the best defensive team in the league. Not even close. Plus I kind of expect Cole to step it up this year, but that's just me.

What about LeBron James?

Chill_Will_24
08-03-2013, 12:13 AM
Amazing signing. If he is healthy then the 3peat is all but secure

rockets-fan
08-03-2013, 12:16 AM
Nice move, man I hate the heat hahha

sunsfan88
08-03-2013, 12:17 AM

That's cause he got laid, has nothing to do with Oden.

ztilzer31
08-03-2013, 12:19 AM
What about LeBron James?

Yeah.... whoops... lol there was suppose to be a / before battier.... awkwarrrddd.

ztilzer31
08-03-2013, 12:21 AM
You see what I mean though. That lineup turns into something else with Oden. Bigs all of a sudden become a strength for Miami. We'll see though. It could all mean nothing in a couple months.

bearadonisdna
08-03-2013, 12:27 AM
Who cares? He's taking juwan Howard's spot at the vet min. Dexter Pittman etc etc. has that slowed the Heat down? If he stays healthy great if not who cares.

This guy is basically right.

D1JM
08-03-2013, 12:30 AM
This guy is basically right.

he is right, but teams recovering their star players as in rose and granger can give more problems to the heat than oden would. that is of course, if everyone is healthy.

DamnGoat
08-03-2013, 12:32 AM
It's a risk worth taking for any team, but it's hard to imagine Oden ever staying healthy.

GoneGuru
08-03-2013, 12:37 AM
hes not getting minutes until january, he'll be in the rotation in march, come playoffs, he is going to be a dreadnought

book it

Bostonjorge
08-03-2013, 01:12 AM
Heat got him to counter hibbert. If Oden can stay healthy and play then bosh will benefit the best I feel. Still no three peat.

Dade County
08-03-2013, 01:14 AM
he is right, but teams recovering their star players as in rose and granger can give more problems to the heat than oden would. that is of course, if everyone is healthy.

But if Wade is healthy when the playoffs come around, I feel that the HEAT 1 two punch of Wade & Lbj can over come anything that the east can throw at them.

Dade County
08-03-2013, 01:16 AM
Heat got him to counter hibbert. If Oden can stay healthy and play then bosh will benefit the best I feel. Still no three peat.

:nod: you might be on to something, maybe a 4 or a 5 peat, is on the horizon.

Hawkeye15
08-03-2013, 01:56 AM
I don't trust him to stay healthy at all.

naps
08-03-2013, 02:06 AM
How am I upset? Making statements that are true is being mad? My god, can people not have a conversation about sports with the words hater, mad, or upset?

Ease off on the ad hom attacks and have a debate about the topic at hand.

What's true? You can only predict about future. Can never claim anything in the future as truth. You think you're smarter than Riley, Pop, and all those others GMs who had been interested in Oden, don't you? There should be enough reason to pursue Oden just by looking at the number of teams interested in him. And Heat got him with the cheapest possible price. What was the overreaction again? Right, none. You sounded rather mad and pessimistic like a typical bitter Bulls fan who reacts just like this on any Heat signing.

SportsFanatic10
08-03-2013, 02:06 AM
awesome signing for the min! if(and i know it's a big if) oden can stay healthy even just for the playoff run, the heat will be amazing. so much rests on the health of wade's knees this year though.

jp611
08-03-2013, 02:27 AM
What's true? You can only predict about future. Can never claim anything in the future as truth. You think you're smarter than Riley, Pop, and all those others GMs who had been interested in Oden, don't you? There should be enough reason to pursue Oden just by looking at the number of teams interested in him. And Heat got him with the cheapest possible price. What was the overreaction again? Right, none. You sounded rather mad and pessimistic like a typical bitter Bulls fan who reacts just like this on any Heat signing.

No, I'm not mad, but I'm glad you think you can convey my thoughts. Again, this is a strawman's argument. Heat fans are hilarious with their logical fallacies. The Bulls have NOTHING to do with this argument. Let's stop bringing them up, it's baiting, trolling, and off-topic.

Back to the topic that this thread is about... The FACT is that Greg Oden has had 3 microfracture surgeries, and it's tough enough to come back from one. Now, if you can argue my point without attacks on me or my team that has nothing to do with this argument, I'll be in complete shock, and it will have been the first time I've had a debate with a Heat fan that didn't turn into an ad hom or strawman attack.

NoahH
08-03-2013, 02:38 AM
Obviously it was a no-brainer to sign Oden. Minimum is completely risk free and possibly high reward (which i don't see happening)

I think he'll play 40ish games this season at LOW minutes and play maybe 18mpg in the playoffs. Overall I don't think he'll have a HUGE impact, but he'll be a good interior presence the HEAT need for stretches. Miami likes the small ball anyways. Even if he was able to play heavy minutes would Miami really be at their best with a lineup of -Chalmers-Wade-Lebron-Bosh-Oden?

IKnowHoops
08-03-2013, 02:43 AM
I don't trust him to stay healthy at all.

Yeah, it would almost be a miracle if he made it through next season healthy. I could see him and Wade out till christmas. Not because they are injured, but just to keep them from getting injured. It would hurt there record and chemistry a bit but I think it would do wonders for bosh. I think if they came back Christmas it would give the Heat enough time to get it right.

Heater4life
08-03-2013, 02:49 AM
Obviously it was a no-brainer to sign Oden. Minimum is completely risk free and possibly high reward (which i don't see happening)

I think he'll play 40ish games this season at LOW minutes and play maybe 18mpg in the playoffs. Overall I don't think he'll have a HUGE impact, but he'll be a good interior presence the HEAT need for stretches. Miami likes the small ball anyways. Even if he was able to play heavy minutes would Miami really be at their best with a lineup of -Chalmers-Wade-Lebron-Bosh-Oden?

That IS his huge impact for Miami. If he can play 18mpg, rotate on defense, defend the low post, and get some tip ins/cherry picks its a big addtion for Miami.

The Heat have no interior size. Thats why Birdman was such a great addition for them last season. If healthy, Oden makes similar impact with added low post defense. Win for Miami.

IKnowHoops
08-03-2013, 02:59 AM
No, I'm not mad, but I'm glad you think you can convey my thoughts. Again, this is a strawman's argument. Heat fans are hilarious with their logical fallacies. The Bulls have NOTHING to do with this argument. Let's stop bringing them up, it's baiting, trolling, and off-topic.

Back to the topic that this thread is about... The FACT is that Greg Oden has had 3 microfracture surgeries, and it's tough enough to come back from one. Now, if you can argue my point without attacks on me or my team that has nothing to do with this argument, I'll be in complete shock, and it will have been the first time I've had a debate with a Heat fan that didn't turn into an ad hom or strawman attack.

Not trying to attack you here, but the only reason the bulls are relevant when talking with you is because you are a bulls fan, and it "seems" like you are reacting the way you are because of your love for the bulls, and conversely your dislike for the Heat.

Oden has been talked about for the last month. If you have been saying all the same things about Oden, with the same conviction before the Heat signed him then I stand corrected. But if not, then clearly it is because he signed with the Heat. And one of the reasons you root against the Heat, is because your a Bulls fan.

If all this is true, then I see the relevancy in bringing up the bulls in some capacity when answering some of your posts about the Heat.

jp611
08-03-2013, 03:05 AM
Not trying to attack you here, but the only reason the bulls are relevant when talking with you is because you are a bulls fan, and it "seems" like you are reacting the way you are because of your love for the bulls, and conversely your dislike for the Heat.

Oden has been talked about for the last month. If you have been saying all the same things about Oden, with the same conviction before the Heat signed him then I stand corrected. But if not, then clearly it is because he signed with the Heat. And one of the reasons you root against the Heat, is because your a Bulls fan.

If all this is true, then I see the relevancy in bringing up the bulls in some capacity when answering some of your posts about the Heat.

Here's the thing though. I've been saying this about Greg Oden all along. I don't think he's ever going to stay healthy enough. It has ZERO to do with the Miami Heat signing him. And therefore when people act like he's going to make a big impact (not necessarily even Heat fans, there's Bulls fans who are overreacting and acting like this GREATLY improves the Heat chances to 3-peat) I find it hilarious.

I'm not mad. I'm stating my stance on something. And I'm backing it up with why I believe it. The Main is a nauesating experience, and I remember why I hardly frequent here anymore. It's sad, and the mods don't even attempt to clean it up anymore.

John Walls Era
08-03-2013, 03:06 AM
If he plays 15 minutes a game, the Heat would still have gotten better.

jp611
08-03-2013, 03:19 AM
If he plays 15 minutes a game, the Heat would still have gotten better.

KEY WORD: if

Chances are he doesn't even play 15 full minutes. I mean he's already saying he's not sure if he will be ready for the start of the season. My guess is into his rehab we will hear some more news about his knee, and he will have to shut it down.

Microfracture surgery is no joke. THREE of them? He's more than likely not going to contribute much for them.

IKnowHoops
08-03-2013, 03:52 AM
Here's the thing though. I've been saying this about Greg Oden all along. I don't think he's ever going to stay healthy enough. It has ZERO to do with the Miami Heat signing him. And therefore when people act like he's going to make a big impact (not necessarily even Heat fans, there's Bulls fans who are overreacting and acting like this GREATLY improves the Heat chances to 3-peat) I find it hilarious.

I'm not mad. I'm stating my stance on something. And I'm backing it up with why I believe it. The Main is a nauesating experience, and I remember why I hardly frequent here anymore. It's sad, and the mods don't even attempt to clean it up anymore.

Well to be fair, you did admit to trolling the Heat forum so judging by the bolded statement, you would be part of the problem right?

unleashthebeast
08-03-2013, 04:01 AM
I know i shouldnt be so excited about this but I am just so pumped. With this signing, the HEAT offseason has gone exactly how I wanted other than the Miller amnesty. Great work Riley!

Hopefully Oden can make an impact on this team. He is so talented and has just had horrible injuries keeping him from displaying that talent, so hopefully he can shine here.

TeamSeattle
08-03-2013, 04:03 AM
KEY WORD: if

Chances are he doesn't even play 15 full minutes. I mean he's already saying he's not sure if he will be ready for the start of the season. My guess is into his rehab we will hear some more news about his knee, and he will have to shut it down.

Microfracture surgery is no joke. THREE of them? He's more than likely not going to contribute much for them.

Three microfracture surgeries? Holy ****. Can you imagine the field day they would have if this was the Lakers or Knicks.

RiceOnTheRun
08-03-2013, 04:19 AM
I don't get how anyone could call this a bad move.

If he's healthy, he's a complete steal. Even if he's not 100%, if he can put in 5-10 minutes of decent defense and rebounding it's already worth it. He's getting paid for the post-season anyways, whatever he does in the regular season would only be for getting him in shape.

He's making less than James Jones and Joel Anthony, and those guys have barely played all season. Nobody's complaining about them, are they? Even if he turns out to be a bust, they lose 2m and a roster spot. That's barely a drop in the bucket to the Heat.

astonmartin10
08-03-2013, 04:40 AM
Great signing. He will probably play little minutes. I think he can do it

MTar786
08-03-2013, 05:58 AM
this is only good for the heat. if he sucks then goodbye and if he's even half of what he can be then heat win it all for sure.

dodie53
08-03-2013, 07:04 AM
good signing.

Avenger20
08-03-2013, 08:50 AM
Good pickup for Miami.

Sly Guy
08-03-2013, 09:46 AM
I hate all these goddamn ring chasers. I really hope there is a clause in there to deny him his ring if he spends over half the year on the disabled list.

</sarcasm>

Hope he works out for them. No one likes to see a player's career cut short due to injury. Especially one that never had the chance to take off in the first place.

Minimal
08-03-2013, 10:07 AM
This is a big sacrifice by Oden to take a minimum, knowing this might be his last contract, but thats exactly on what the team is built on - sacrifice. Glad to have Oden on the heat, such a humble and great guy. Hope he stays healthy and develops into a player he used to be.

todu82
08-03-2013, 10:19 AM
If he's healthy and plays to his full potential Miami's got 1 heck of an add here. Hope he can stay healthy not for the Heat's sake but because the guy's to talented to have his career marred by injury.

SwatTeam
08-03-2013, 10:21 AM
The heat are taking a low risk/high reward gamble. The absolute best thing that could happen for them is if Oden returns to even half of his original form before his initial injury. Something like 8 pts/8 rebs is a steal for them (also in my opinion Greg Oden's ceiling now for best case scenario) considering what they were previously getting from the 5 position (we're talking about Bosh/Joel Anthony/Chris Anderson who struggled to get 8/8 consistently)

Also, people are thinking the Heat are signing Oden as some player they're just going to insert into the 5 position to play with Lebron/Wade/Bosh consistently. That's not going to happen.

The sole purpose of Greg Oden to the Heat is to throw him at 2 guys in the postseason: Hibbert and Noah. Oden will NOT be able to stop these guys in my opinion but he does provide 2 things for the heat: a tall person who can raise his hands up when these guys shoot (Heat didn't have a 7 footer on the roster I believe) and somebody who can make Hibbert and Noah adjust their shots to a guy with longer arms. That's it. No more Haslem vs Hibbert/Noah. No more Bosh vs Hibbert/Noah. If Oden's size can just affect Hibbert/Noah to miss 1 or 2 extra shots per game, take away 1-2 offensive putbacks or rebounds per game then thats a win for the Heat because they just couldn't stop them at all beforehand (Specifically, Hibbert). 1-2 less shots and 1-2 less rebounds plus 1-2 extra shots and 1-2 extra rebounds for James and co. is all they need. Lebron after all is his prime now. As he goes, so do the heat.

I bet we will hardly even see Oden in Heat games this season unless its a blowout and he's getting garbage time minutes to work himself into shape. Kind of like Eddy Curry. I bet some games he doesn't even play. Im expecting a lot of DNP - Coaches decision. The Heat really don't need him in the regular season anyways.

The main player to look out for is DWade. If that dude is healthy heading into the playoffs, then its all over. Wade is the player that needs to be cryogenically frozen and saved for a 2 month playoffs run. If Oden is also healthy then its even more of a plus. But honestly, all the heat need him to do is be a tall stiff and put his hands up and stay in front of Hibbert and Noah for possibly 10-15 minutes a game during those series.

Chronz
08-03-2013, 10:42 AM
"Just be a tall stiff"

No, the Heat do not need him for that. You can sign tall stiffs all over the globe, you cant sign someone with Oden's talent. Your statistical projections (8/8) are indicative All-Star production packed into 15MPG (which is what it seems you want him playing).

Chronz
08-03-2013, 10:52 AM
Hes going to have his Bill Walton moment

dimgim
08-03-2013, 10:55 AM
Seriously its a good move how could it not be when Miami is paying the same amount for Oden as they paid for Juwan Howard last year. Hey I'm a huge Heat fan but I've noticed a change in the fan base since the big 3 came in, don't say anything that isn't all around positive they will get on ya very quickly. Seems to be alot more Heat fans than there was when it was Wade/Butler/Odom hmmm I wonders...but best of luck to Oden I think he is in a great situation down in South Beach get off the bench be big act scary for a couple of minutes and its a win win.

SwatTeam
08-03-2013, 10:59 AM
"Just be a tall stiff"

No, the Heat do not need him for that. You can sign tall stiffs all over the globe, you cant sign someone with Oden's talent. Your statistical projections (8/8) are indicative All-Star production packed into 15MPG (which is what it seems you want him playing).

His 8/8 I said would be his ceiling for this team. That's all I think he has left in the tank. I don't think he could produce that in a 15 minute span at all. I said the Heat only need him for 15 minutes a game in the postseason against the pacers and bulls. I believe that based on what I know of his surgeries that if Oden ever regains his form to being "fully healthy" he can produce at an 8/8 clip for the Heat with regular rotation minutes of 20-30 minutes (which I don't forsee happening at all this season). Remember, he still has Lebron, Wade, and Bosh on the team and they will take up shots regardless of who else is on the court. I should have stated that better.

As for the stiff comments, I still stand by them. The Heat are paying him like a stiff (roughly the Vet min.). The added bonus is the potential to be more than that. For this year's sake, I don't think he'll serve as more than that. They just need to throw a big body at those guys and hope he can alter some shots and get some rebounds. The only difference is there's potential for more from this "stiff." Honestly, even if he does become a tall stiff for the remainder of his career I still consider that a success for him as long as he's able to contribute and play the game he loves.

pd1dish
08-03-2013, 11:09 AM
...hes joined the dark side

blahblahyoutoo
08-03-2013, 11:23 AM
taking his talents to South Beeeach!

ztilzer31
08-03-2013, 11:44 AM
Only thing to worry about to me is how he's going to work playing at the Heat's speed. He won't be effective till around mid season probably. Heat play faster than anyone in the league. He'll need to get his conditioning up so he doesn't get injured.

Can we stop calling this a risk? Veteran minimum isn't a risk. The biggest thing the Heat have to lose in this was a roster spot.

Marlin234
08-03-2013, 01:08 PM
Anyways he's a center no a SG or PG.. It is not like he could have lost his jump shot or handles. All he needs to do is jump. Miami has one of the best medical staffs and clinics. Give him some HGH at one of these special clinics wait for the playoffs and its game over

TrueFan420
08-03-2013, 01:10 PM

EDIT: Didn't know it was a vet's min when I posted this, great move.

Oh the irony of Oden possibly getting a ring before Durant hahaha

How bout darko before James

Dade County
08-03-2013, 01:12 PM
Basically, what all HEAT fans what (and other teams fear), is just for Oden to stay healthy, and be a better Bird Man. If he could do that, he will have 4 to 5 gimmes a night. I can see him scoring anywhere between 7 - 13pts a game, just because of Lbj and Wade.

Thee Oden has awaken from his slumber, all shall run in fear!

Dade County
08-03-2013, 01:15 PM
...hes joined the dark side

How are the HEAT the dark side, when they had to beat teams like Boston, OKC & the bulls?

Goose17
08-03-2013, 01:24 PM
HGH testing is going to destroy Miami next season, as well as most other teams.

Hope Oden has been doing this legit.

Best of luck to him and Miami.

KnickaBocka.44
08-03-2013, 01:26 PM
I love the fans thinking he's going to be a major impact. He's going to get like 8 minutes per game for the first half of the season.

A_Bynum_sucks
08-03-2013, 01:31 PM
I love the fans thinking he's going to be a major impact. He's going to get like 8 minutes per game for the first half of the season.

Agree. I mean Oden is acting like he is ALL DAT! Making people wait while HE makes his decision where to bring his talents. I mean what talents ? The dude hasn't played ANY sort of Basketball this freaking Decade!! I mean its been over 4 years since he has even TOUCHED a Basketball in a actual game. His knees are Crystal Glass, and he has a Major Attitude like he THINKS he is the Man! The Heat signing Unrestricted free agent
Center " Cole Aldrich " would have been a much better idea. At least he has played, and is Healthy.

Oden is pure Cr@p. And will do nothing for the Heat except keep their trainer extra Busy!!

PurpleLynch
08-03-2013, 01:32 PM
Unfortunately we missed the next David Robinson with Oden. Hope he gets better,even if he will be a 10 mpg type of player(if he's healthy which I doubt).

ManRam
08-03-2013, 02:04 PM
It's impossible for this to ever be a bad signing. Even if he completely busts he's worth the risk at the minimum. Even if it takes him 60 games to get healthy/able to play big minutes. Even if he only serves as a 10 minute player a game. Whatever it is, it's a good signing.

It's a great signing, period. If anyone is suggesting otherwise they're just wrong. It's not going to ever set the Heat back, and there is a lot of upside and varying levels of potential gains. It's zero risk, and potentially high reward.

Bruno
08-03-2013, 02:14 PM
if Oden comes back and is a consistent defensive anchor and rebounder in the post-season the rest of the league stands no chance. its boring! I'm sick of back-to-back seasons of lopsided competition in the playoffs, and it looks like it's gona continue for at least another few years. yeah, i'm mad- you don't have to ask.

IKnowHoops
08-03-2013, 02:43 PM
if Oden comes back and is a consistent defensive anchor and rebounder in the post-season the rest of the league stands no chance. its boring! I'm sick of back-to-back seasons of lopsided competition in the playoffs, and it looks like it's gona continue for at least another few years. yeah, i'm mad- you don't have to ask.

Appreciate you keeping it real.

Bruno
08-03-2013, 02:46 PM
Appreciate you keeping it real.

i kept it even more real before i edited my original post. :laugh2:

but nobody really wants to hear about illegal collusion and disrespecting the concept of competition in todays fan environment; it is what it is. at least dallas beat them.

dbroncos78087
08-03-2013, 03:09 PM
Just a friendly reminder to chill out to everyone. Keep the Bull-Heat baitfest out of these forums.

Dade County
08-03-2013, 03:18 PM
i kept it even more real before i edited my original post. :laugh2:

but nobody really wants to hear about illegal collusion and disrespecting the concept of competition in todays fan environment; it is what it is. at least dallas beat them.

Thats the perception the league wants you to have, because if the HEAt would have won a title their first year, and only losing each series by 1 game; it would have discredited all 3 of their of their legacies to most fans (you know, joining up and stuff).

Lbj is a con artist, never forget that (I wont).

D-Leethal
08-03-2013, 03:37 PM
Great low risk move but I think this is gonna be pretty reminiscent of Brandon Roy's attempted comeback.

IKnowHoops
08-03-2013, 03:41 PM
Thats the perception the league wants you to have, because if the HEAt would have won a title their first year, and only losing each series by 1 game; it would have discredited all 3 of their of their legacies to most fans (you know, joining up and stuff).

Are you implying Lebron choked on purpose and lost that Dallas series on purpose?

ztilzer31
08-03-2013, 03:44 PM

Oh jeez. My brain hurts from reading this. This is a joke right?

ztilzer31
08-03-2013, 03:47 PM

Yeah we'll see though. It could end up Heat have an injured Wade, and an injured Oden all season.... Let's see how it unfolds first :).

KnickaBocka.44
08-03-2013, 03:48 PM
It's impossible for this to ever be a bad signing. Even if he completely busts he's worth the risk at the minimum. Even if it takes him 60 games to get healthy/able to play big minutes. Even if he only serves as a 10 minute player a game. Whatever it is, it's a good signing.

It's a great signing, period. If anyone is suggesting otherwise they're just wrong. It's not going to ever set the Heat back, and there is a lot of upside and varying levels of potential gains. It's zero risk, and potentially high reward.

I agree with this for the most part, but there is one way. If he actually stays healthy for most of the year and they start giving him more minutes and actually depending on him, then he goes down - that could be a problem. Since they gave him the player option on the 2nd year, the same thing could apply, even more so since they may be in the position then to let Birdman walk.

I realize it implies a lot, but it's definitely not out of the realm of possibility.

Marlin234
08-03-2013, 07:30 PM
This singing can't be as bad as Stoudemire's.. Right? Lol

ryang
08-03-2013, 08:27 PM

I thought the pacers series and the spurs series's were a lot of fun to watch. Not sure how its so lopsided as you claim it is. Would it be better if it was the lakers? I never heard crying when they were dominating.

ryang
08-03-2013, 08:29 PM
It's a vet min contract. Wether he is good or not he can have juwan Howard's spot for the next two years. That hasn't slowed us down and neither will oden

D-Leethal
08-03-2013, 08:36 PM
I thought the pacers series and the spurs series's were a lot of fun to watch. Not sure how its so lopsided as you claim it is. Would it be better if it was the lakers? I never heard crying when they were dominating.

Miami was on the ropes multiple times during the past two title runs. They aren't dominating the playoff competition at all, not really sure what that dude was talking about either. This isn't Shaq/Kobe Laker type domination.

ryang
08-03-2013, 08:45 PM
I agree. Everyone keeps saying how easy it is for Miami. Not seeing that in the playoffs but hey it's the Heat so the ignorant comments are always gonna be there.

Captain Moroni
08-03-2013, 09:13 PM
rich get richer. American way.

Chronz
08-03-2013, 09:17 PM
"Just be a tall stiff"

His 8/8 I said would be his ceiling for this team. That's all I think he has left in the tank. I don't think he could produce that in a 15 minute span at all. I said the Heat only need him for 15 minutes a game in the postseason against the pacers and bulls. I believe that based on what I know of his surgeries that if Oden ever regains his form to being "fully healthy" he can produce at an 8/8 clip for the Heat with regular rotation minutes of 20-30 minutes (which I don't forsee happening at all this season). Remember, he still has Lebron, Wade, and Bosh on the team and they will take up shots regardless of who else is on the court. I should have stated that better.

As for the stiff comments, I still stand by them. The Heat are paying him like a stiff (roughly the Vet min.). The added bonus is the potential to be more than that. For this year's sake, I don't think he'll serve as more than that. They just need to throw a big body at those guys and hope he can alter some shots and get some rebounds. The only difference is there's potential for more from this "stiff." Honestly, even if he does become a tall stiff for the remainder of his career I still consider that a success for him as long as he's able to contribute and play the game he loves.
Again, they could go out and sign stiffs if thats all they needed. I find it highly unlikely that Pat Riley would go out and personally recruit just any stiff immediately upon winning the chip. Salary is irrelevant when you consider he could have made more elsewhere.

rocketfuel
08-04-2013, 04:07 AM
The coaching staff should just save Oden for the final month and not risk any injury. He can use that final month sparingly to get into game speed. If I were Pat Riley, I would rather take risks on someone with such a huge upside versus players that clearly won't make an impact like his players 10-14.

Let's say that Oden stays healthy and lives up to much of his potential than Miami would suddenly have a #1 pick at center and small forward and top 5 picks for 4 out of the starting 5....with Ray Allen, Battier and Anderson coming off the bench. I wouldn't get too hung up on the minutes he plays... last year, Allen, Battier, Miller and Anderson all in spurts came up big with some big plays. If they save him for the final month of the regular season and then the posteason and he shows some of the flashes of outburst where he had 14 rebound 4 block games that would be huge. He's not just some tall 7 footer body....he was a #1 pick talent who had unfortunate injuries. It completely changes the dynamic of the Heat since they've had to use their small lineup's strengths to overcome being manhandled in the paint. All of Oden's strengths fits what they need and vice versa....he doesn't have to play outside his strengths. He can block at a high rate, rebound, defend and finish strong around the hoop on offense. His shotblocking and defense will really help them get some easy fastbreak points. I am kind of rooting for Oden to see him at least live up to his potential for one or two season, just out of curiosity to see what that would look like. I still think the Pacers are a rising Beast so that should be an interesting battle.

Oden/Birdman
Bosh/Haslem
Lebron/Battier
Wade/Allen
Chalmers/Cole
plus part of the MLE is still available.

cubs1st
08-04-2013, 04:37 AM
It's nice to dream about what Oden would produce in a reserve role, but he cannot stay healthy. He's played 82 total games in six seasons and has had three microfracture surgeries.

DillyDill
08-04-2013, 05:36 AM
I just want the dominate center's Drew and Greg remaining 100% completely healthy, so that the position can return back to its prominence

jp611
08-04-2013, 06:41 AM
I just want the dominate center's Drew and Greg remaining 100% completely healthy, so that the position can return back to its prominence

Ahhhh, the fallacy that the C position isn't that good anymore.

The SG position is much worse right now.

Verbal Christ
08-04-2013, 03:48 PM
What's all the fuss about? Oden wasn't really that good even before the injuries.

ztilzer31
08-04-2013, 05:01 PM
What's all the fuss about? Oden wasn't really that good even before the injuries.

False.

Dade County
08-04-2013, 05:17 PM
Ahhhh, the fallacy that the C position isn't that good anymore.

The SG position is much worse right now.

I think it is... We are labeling some combo guards as pg ( rose & west to name a few. )

Verbal Christ
08-04-2013, 08:25 PM
False.

Obviously cant stay healthy, but in his rookie year where he played the most, he averaged 9/7/1 Am I missing something? Are we still talking about untapped potential? Or a miracle cure for fragile bones? He is like Michael Olowakandi but with more injuries.

amos1er
08-04-2013, 08:36 PM
Two years is way to much IMO. This is very much a gamble.

jerellh528
08-04-2013, 08:41 PM
This is good for the heat, I hope he stays healthy. The league needs more quality centers.

ryang
08-04-2013, 08:43 PM
2 years at the vet min is a gamble? Should we just have kept juwan Howard or dexter Pittman? On this team it won't matter.

beasted86
08-04-2013, 09:23 PM
The coaching staff should just save Oden for the final month and not risk any injury. He can use that final month sparingly to get into game speed. If I were Pat Riley, I would rather take risks on someone with such a huge upside versus players that clearly won't make an impact like his players 10-14.

Let's say that Oden stays healthy and lives up to much of his potential than Miami would suddenly have a #1 pick at center and small forward and top 5 picks for 4 out of the starting 5....with Ray Allen, Battier and Anderson coming off the bench. I wouldn't get too hung up on the minutes he plays... last year, Allen, Battier, Miller and Anderson all in spurts came up big with some big plays. If they save him for the final month of the regular season and then the posteason and he shows some of the flashes of outburst where he had 14 rebound 4 block games that would be huge. He's not just some tall 7 footer body....he was a #1 pick talent who had unfortunate injuries. It completely changes the dynamic of the Heat since they've had to use their small lineup's strengths to overcome being manhandled in the paint. All of Oden's strengths fits what they need and vice versa....he doesn't have to play outside his strengths. He can block at a high rate, rebound, defend and finish strong around the hoop on offense. His shotblocking and defense will really help them get some easy fastbreak points. I am kind of rooting for Oden to see him at least live up to his potential for one or two season, just out of curiosity to see what that would look like. I still think the Pacers are a rising Beast so that should be an interesting battle.

Oden/Birdman
Bosh/Haslem
Lebron/Battier
Wade/Allen
Chalmers/Cole
plus part of the MLE is still available.
Agree that Miami should save Oden for the 2nd half of the season and playoffs. The same goes for Wade IMO.

But to correct your post, the whole mini-MLE is still available for the HEAT (though I doubt they use it).

Pacerlive
08-04-2013, 09:37 PM
2 years at the vet min is a gamble? Should we just have kept juwan Howard or dexter Pittman? On this team it won't matter.

If I understand the contract right he has an opt out for the final year so if he does perform well then I doubt the Heat will be able to keep him. If I remember correctly the Heat also won't have Bird rights as well.

ryang
08-04-2013, 09:42 PM
If I understand the contract right he has an opt out for the final year so if he does perform well then I doubt the Heat will be able to keep him. If I remember correctly the Heat also won't have Bird rights as well.

So how's it a gamble? If he somehow stays healthy and plays well he leaves after helping us win another title. Ill take that at the vet min. He probably won't stay healthy but if he does and performs well I have no problem renting him for a trophy.

SportsFanatic10
08-04-2013, 09:54 PM
Two years is way to much IMO. This is very much a gamble.

lol actually there is practically no risk involved. a min contract and an open roster spot isn't a gamble. if it doesn't work out so be it, but the heat are in a good position either way. they just jumped on the opportunity to see what oden has left since he has the biggest upside of any cheap centers out there.

Krizzle88
08-04-2013, 10:42 PM
Oden is no better than Joel Anthony. this signing is so overrated

Pacerlive
08-04-2013, 11:20 PM
So how's it a gamble? If he somehow stays healthy and plays well he leaves after helping us win another title. Ill take that at the vet min. He probably won't stay healthy but if he does and performs well I have no problem renting him for a trophy.

I don't think he adds that much and what exactly does he add over Anderson? Oden was slow before he got hurt and I can't imagine him being any better than Birdman at this stage.

ryang
08-04-2013, 11:56 PM
What if bird gets in foul trouble? (Happens frequently). What if his injuried? I mean honestly he is filling up a roster spot that was never gonna get any significant minutes to begin with. There's always 3 guys on this roster who never play unless its mop up duty. Why not take a chance with a big? Sure IMO he will get hurt again but he isn't costing us anything and he's not preventing us from signing anyone of significance.

ztilzer31
08-05-2013, 12:07 AM
Obviously cant stay healthy, but in his rookie year where he played the most, he averaged 9/7/1 Am I missing something? Are we still talking about untapped potential? Or a miracle cure for fragile bones? He is like Michael Olowakandi but with more injuries.

He showed significant improvement in his second season. He was shooting 75 % from the line, and averaging 2.3 blocks a game with 8.5 rpg. He had shown significant increase since his first season. His offensive game still hadn't really blossomed, but he was really starting to figure it out his second season.

sunsfan88
08-05-2013, 12:07 AM
perkins is no better than joel anthony. This signing is so overrated

ftfy

ztilzer31
08-05-2013, 12:52 AM
I don't think he adds that much and what exactly does he add over Anderson? Oden was slow before he got hurt and I can't imagine him being any better than Birdman at this stage.

Have you ever seen Oden play? He is by no means slow.

Pacerlive
08-05-2013, 08:15 AM
Have you ever seen Oden play? He is by no means slow.

He just played high school ball 5 miles away. In comparison to the Zellers and the Plumlees he is slow. The thing that separated him from others was his combination of power and height. He was a load in the post at every level but I don't think he will have the explosion to block shots and run the pnr effectively anymore. The Heat defiantly won't be able to run the pnr trap with him like they do with Bosh. He also was never really polished offensively so who knows if he developed his post moves over the last 2 years or so. At this point the Anderson signing was a bigger deal than Oden.

Just an FYI Oden agility and sprint was slightly better than all drafted Centers and that was before the 3 micro fracture surgeries and broken patella. Sorry if I don't believe he was or ever will be fast for a Nba center.

Krizzle88
08-05-2013, 10:18 AM
ftfy

yes that is also true

dwoyo
08-05-2013, 11:34 AM
This Oden signing is by no means just another Eddy Curry experiment.

Oden is a big body who still has at least some potential and the determination to return, who probably won't even be seeing much minutes during the first half of the season due to him trying to get healthier for when the Heat need a big body the most: the playoffs. Of course his health is an issue, and this whole signing is pointless if he has to get another surgery. But this experiment, unlike Eddy Curry's, is more likely to produce either positive or indifferent results rather than negative.

JAZZNC
08-05-2013, 11:48 AM
This is going to be a non-issue. He will NOT stay healthy. Hasn't thus far and what on God's green Earth makes you think it's going to happen now?

Dade County
08-05-2013, 12:05 PM
This is going to be a non-issue. He will NOT stay healthy. Hasn't thus far and what on God's green Earth makes you think it's going to happen now?

The Power of the Riley.

rhd420
08-05-2013, 02:53 PM
The Heat took a gamble and it's a low risk one ... so be it
Oden gets the health insurance he needs and Miami gets a "shot" at a inexpensive big man. It's worth the gamble. Heck next year Miami has other big decisions to take care of mainly NOT having another "decision" televised by a certain someone taking their talents elsewhere

mjm07
08-05-2013, 03:09 PM
Oden is no better than Joel Anthony. this signing is so overrated

But we got him DISCOUNTED!! :dance:

Slug3
08-05-2013, 07:16 PM
It's a vet min signing. What so bad about it? I mean we paid Juan Howard the same amount to ride the bench. Of that's all Oden does then so be it.

TheLegend
08-05-2013, 07:24 PM
Oden is a bust with bad knees and has never lived up to expectations, even when healthy he looked weak to me. And now he's suppose to mean something after not playing in two years? Year right. This is a project all day long .

Chronz
08-05-2013, 09:42 PM
Olowakandi was never putting up All-Star production in limited minutes.

True Sports Fan
08-06-2013, 12:54 AM

Since your a Laker fan, I guess logic is flawed but he didn't beg Heat to sign him.. If you had your career ruined early due to injury, you would take any opportunity that comes aboard. And if he was riding LeBron then he would've signed as soon as they offered him a contract. :facepalm:

ztilzer31
08-06-2013, 01:13 AM
He just played high school ball 5 miles away. In comparison to the Zellers and the Plumlees he is slow. The thing that separated him from others was his combination of power and height. He was a load in the post at every level but I don't think he will have the explosion to block shots and run the pnr effectively anymore. The Heat defiantly won't be able to run the pnr trap with him like they do with Bosh. He also was never really polished offensively so who knows if he developed his post moves over the last 2 years or so. At this point the Anderson signing was a bigger deal than Oden.

Just an FYI Oden agility and sprint was slightly better than all drafted Centers and that was before the 3 micro fracture surgeries and broken patella. Sorry if I don't believe he was or ever will be fast for a Nba center.

You just listed like 6 things that proved he wasn't slow than said sorry I think he's slow...

Yeah he could be extremely worse after the surgery, but to consider Oden slow is just wrong IMO.

Just kind of funny to me that I say he's not slow, and you say he's slightly better than all drafted centers that year, and "sorry you don't think he's fast". I never said he was fast. I said he wasn't slow. Get the difference?

Oden was not slow, and since neither of us have seen him play since being injured I don't see the point in speculating how much speed he has or hasn't lost... You ruin your own argument with your own post.

rocketfuel
08-06-2013, 03:39 AM
Yeah, Oden's a total scrub.....that's why quality clubs like the Spurs and Heat were chasing him....and Riley has been working on getting him for the past few years. The guy has a lot of upside and had the defense rebounding potential that had him drafted at #1. Riley and others felt it was wroth a gamble on this huge potential that he will somehow come back healthy. If healthy, he has more talent than any other center the Heat have. That would make the Heat even that much more deadly in the playoffs.

JayW_1023
08-06-2013, 03:45 AM
This will backfire in a huge way I think. Oden still was struggling to adjust to the NBA before he got injured. He is technically still a rook.

Slug3
08-06-2013, 09:39 AM
This will backfire in a huge way I think. Oden still was struggling to adjust to the NBA before he got injured. He is technically still a rook.

So you are saying Miami cannot play without Oden?

Nycbball08
08-06-2013, 10:31 AM
This guy if healthy would fit good on the Celtics.

Captain Moroni
08-06-2013, 10:58 AM
if Oden stays healthy, Heat might win every game......ok almost every game.

Captain Moroni
08-06-2013, 10:59 AM

its a no lose situation for miami. he is nothing more than a spare part.

Captain Moroni
08-06-2013, 11:00 AM
Oden is a bust with bad knees and has never lived up to expectations, even when healthy he looked weak to me. And now he's suppose to mean something after not playing in two years? Year right. This is a project all day long .

difference now if healthy is who surrounds him on the court. huge difference.

Pacerlive
08-06-2013, 11:49 AM
You just listed like 6 things that proved he wasn't slow than said sorry I think he's slow...

Yeah he could be extremely worse after the surgery, but to consider Oden slow is just wrong IMO.

Just kind of funny to me that I say he's not slow, and you say he's slightly better than all drafted centers that year, and "sorry you don't think he's fast". I never said he was fast. I said he wasn't slow. Get the difference?

Oden was not slow, and since neither of us have seen him play since being injured I don't see the point in speculating how much speed he has or hasn't lost... You ruin your own argument with your own post.

6 things?

Let me be more clear then.

Greg Oden was slightly above the average for all drafted Centers however he also weighed 257 pounds before being drafted. He then in his NBA career ballooned to 285 pounds which defiantly made him slower than his combine measurements hence being below average IMO.

What Greg does have is great timing on blocks and the ability to finish around the rim but from 3feet to 20 feet he sucks offensively speaking and there is no getting around it. So really what does he bring more than Chris Anderson? Greg will be slow to rotate on defense and above all else the Heat need guys who can quickly rotate on defense see the pnr trap that they love to run. You simply can't do this with Greg and you can barely do it with Anderson without getting burned by Indiana bigs.

Greg is also foul prone (4 per 22 minutes) which is also indictive of being slow and out of postion on defense.

IF you think he improved his foot speed with 3 major surgeries then go ahead and believe that.

ztilzer31
08-06-2013, 01:45 PM
6 things?

Let me be more clear then.

Greg Oden was slightly above the average for all drafted Centers however he also weighed 257 pounds before being drafted. He then in his NBA career ballooned to 285 pounds which defiantly made him slower than his combine measurements hence being below average IMO.

What Greg does have is great timing on blocks and the ability to finish around the rim but from 3feet to 20 feet he sucks offensively speaking and there is no getting around it. So really what does he bring more than Chris Anderson? Greg will be slow to rotate on defense and above all else the Heat need guys who can quickly rotate on defense see the pnr trap that they love to run. You simply can't do this with Greg and you can barely do it with Anderson without getting burned by Indiana bigs.

Greg is also foul prone (4 per 22 minutes) which is also indictive of being slow and out of postion on defense.

IF you think he improved his foot speed with 3 major surgeries then go ahead and believe that.

Okay so when he's out of shape and injured he's pretty slow? I understand he's probably not in the shape he was when he got in the league yet, but at full speed Oden is not slow...

I know he sucks offensively. I'm not arguing that. The Blazers didn't draft Oden (and Miami didn't sign him) for his offensive ability. They drafted him for his ability to run the floor, and his defense...

He will be asked to protect the rim in Miami. That's it.... If your problem is he can't guard PG's than Centers are a waste of time on any team.... If he blocks some shots, and causes fast breaks I see no reason he can't be effective in limited minutes...

I get it Oden could be trash after his surgeries, but saying you know he's slow now is just you making an assumption based on not seeing him play in 3 years. I doubt he's still 30 pounds over weight, and I doubt he's now "slow for a center".

Pacerlive
08-06-2013, 01:59 PM
Okay so when he's out of shape and injured he's pretty slow? I understand he's probably not in the shape he was when he got in the league yet, but at full speed Oden is not slow...

I know he sucks offensively. I'm not arguing that. The Blazers didn't draft Oden (and Miami didn't sign him) for his offensive ability. They drafted him for his ability to run the floor, and his defense...

He will be asked to protect the rim in Miami. That's it.... If your problem is he can't guard PG's than Centers are a waste of time on any team.... If he blocks some shots, and causes fast breaks I see no reason he can't be effective in limited minutes...

I get it Oden could be trash after his surgeries, but saying you know he's slow now is just you making an assumption based on not seeing him play in 3 years. I doubt he's still 30 pounds over weight, and I doubt he's now "slow for a center".
His playing weight was 285 his combine numbers were 30 lbs lighter so in essence he is probably below average for big men. There is nothing wrong with that but he doesn't run the court like Bosh or even Anderson. And for what its worth he has droped weight since Portland but I doubt he has the same lift to block shots on his bad knees.

To me its a depth signing but too many people act like Miami got a lot better with him and personally I think Anderson for a full year makes a bigger impact than Oden.

ztilzer31
08-06-2013, 03:11 PM
His playing weight was 285 his combine numbers were 30 lbs lighter so in essence he is probably below average for big men. There is nothing wrong with that but he doesn't run the court like Bosh or even Anderson. And for what its worth he has droped weight since Portland but I doubt he has the same lift to block shots on his bad knees.

To me its a depth signing but too many people act like Miami got a lot better with him and personally I think Anderson for a full year makes a bigger impact than Oden.

Chris Anderson will still be useful of course. You need to be able to play a small lineup in today's NBA, but do you honestly not see how 10-20 mins of Oden improves Miami's defense drastically? They're already the best defensive team in the NBA probably. He doesn't even have to play on the other side of the court, he just needs to protect the rim, and provide a body in the interior so Chris Bosh doesn't have to get his *** beat at Center all the time. I like Anderson and Bosh, but if you put them on guys like Duncan, and Hibbert they're going to get killed all game.

justinnum1
08-06-2013, 03:22 PM
Miami is going to 3peat, anything oden can give is bonus.

Shmontaine
08-06-2013, 03:34 PM

IMO this is a non-issue signing. he has had 5 surgeries, hasn't played in 3 years, and will most likely get injured again. i'm not quite sure why everyone is even considering he'll be an impact player.

you're right in the fact that he's most likely much slower and will be exploited on defense as much or more than he helps any defense. that's, of course, providing he's even fit to play.

i feel bad for the guy. wait, no i don't... he's made 20+ million dollars and played 82 games.

ztilzer31
08-06-2013, 04:04 PM
If I'm Miami I'm going up to Greg and saying.... Protect the rim, and grab rebounds. If anyone gets past you foul them hard.

JoeBlessU
08-06-2013, 04:15 PM
IMO this is a non-issue signing. he has had 5 surgeries, hasn't played in 3 years, and will most likely get injured again. i'm not quite sure why everyone is even considering he'll be an impact player.
you're right in the fact that he's most likely much slower and will be exploited on defense as much or more than he helps any defense. that's, of course, providing he's even fit to play.

i feel bad for the guy. wait, no i don't... he's made 20+ million dollars and played 82 games.

He wont be.. Maybe a defensive specialist who plays no more than 10-15 min a night. They should rest him for most of the season and gradually bring him back closer to playoff time

Shmontaine
08-06-2013, 04:24 PM
He wont be.. Maybe a defensive specialist who plays no more than 10-15 min a night. They should rest him for most of the season and gradually bring him back closer to playoff time

That's kind of my point. he's not some old vet who you can unleash in the playoffs when you need him. the dude needs to be on the court and play. he's going to be useless if they don't play him till April. it's essentially his second year, having only played a total of 82 games. the kid still has plenty to learn about the game.

OceanSpray
08-06-2013, 07:15 PM
This was a win win situation for Miami. They pay him practically nothing and they can just move Varnado. Every Miami Heat fan approves of this ordeal. Oden is only going to be needed during the playoffs.

Pacerlive
08-07-2013, 11:06 AM
Chris Anderson will still be useful of course. You need to be able to play a small lineup in today's NBA, but do you honestly not see how 10-20 mins of Oden improves Miami's defense drastically? They're already the best defensive team in the NBA probably. He doesn't even have to play on the other side of the court, he just needs to protect the rim, and provide a body in the interior so Chris Bosh doesn't have to get his *** beat at Center all the time. I like Anderson and Bosh, but if you put them on guys like Duncan, and Hibbert they're going to get killed all game.

I honestly don't know if Greg Oden improves the Heat that much. If anything it gives them an option on defense which was more than they had but I think he will be a liability in some areas. On offense he won't draw Hibbert out of the post and on defense he will be prone to fouling and slow on defensive rotations. To me the Heats defense is all about the team rotating correctly against the pnr. We killed you guys a couple of games just becuase Anderson couldn't rotate fast enough or misjudged Hibberts angle on the rim. I don't think Oden will be very good on team defense but that isn't to say he won't block some ill adivised shots from smaller players but against a superior big man I don't think he will be much better than say Nazr Mohammed at this point in his career.

koreancabbage
08-07-2013, 11:45 AM
I honestly don't know if Greg Oden improves the Heat that much. If anything it gives them an option on defense which was more than they had but I think he will be a liability in some areas. On offense he won't draw Hibbert out of the post and on defense he will be prone to fouling and slow on defensive rotations. To me the Heats defense is all about the team rotating correctly against the pnr. We killed you guys a couple of games just becuase Anderson couldn't rotate fast enough or misjudged Hibberts angle on the rim. I don't think Oden will be very good on team defense but that isn't to say he won't block some ill adivised shots from smaller players but against a superior big man I don't think he will be much better than say Nazr Mohammed at this point in his career.

he would probably give them what Hibbert gave Indiana all season long last year. I mean Hibbert was dogging it all season long last year until the playoffs.

Comparing him to Nazr is an insult to say the least (which is not even Oden's floor). Oden has an offensive game as well as an defensive game. I'm sure he lost a step if he will play in the first half of the season but when and if gets up to speed and less injury time, it would be safe to say Oden is on at least 'playoff' Hibberts level.

Pacerlive
08-07-2013, 11:59 AM
he would probably give them what Hibbert gave Indiana all season long last year. I mean Hibbert was dogging it all season long last year until the playoffs.

Comparing him to Nazr is an insult to say the least (which is not even Oden's floor). Oden has an offensive game as well as an defensive game. I'm sure he lost a step if he will play in the first half of the season but when and if gets up to speed and less injury time, it would be safe to say Oden is on at least 'playoff' Hibberts level.
I have already proved a Bulls fan wrong about Hibbert in the Chicago thread but here you go.

IF you want to boil this down to a bad offensive year but a good Heat series than I can prove you wrong.

http://espn.go.com/nba/player/splits...36/roy-hibbert

Pre vs post all star stats show that he was hurt and got better hence his FG% going from
.414% to above 50% and even his FT% jumping 10% and his points going from 10 ppg to 15.8 ppg.

To suggest he just turned it on in the Heat series is wrong.

Also Oden is terrible from anywhere besides the rim. From 3 to 20 feet he is a 30% field goal shooter. He is very limited offensively speaking.

ztilzer31
08-07-2013, 03:33 PM

How is that any different from Chris Anderson? What's the point of being good at rotating when you can't defend the big men you rotate too? Also it's not like Chris has any offensive game whatsoever apart from put backs....

Pacerlive
08-07-2013, 03:41 PM
How is that any different from Chris Anderson? What's the point of being good at rotating when you can't defend the big men you rotate too? Also it's not like Chris has any offensive game whatsoever apart from put backs....
Chris isn't that much different but I think he will be more reliable in the end especially from the free throw line.

ztilzer31
08-07-2013, 05:02 PM
Chris isn't that much different but I think he will be more reliable in the end especially from the free throw line.

Oden is a better free throw shooter than Chris Andersen, and it's not even close.

Percentage wise in his last year in the NBA Oden did 75% while Andersen is a career 65% FT shooter... He's never even came close to 75%...

ztilzer31
08-07-2013, 05:06 PM
If you honestly think that Chris Andersen is more of an impact than Oden (ignoring the health concern) you really need to learn how to evaluate the Center position, and it's responsibilities that it involves.

ztilzer31
08-07-2013, 05:07 PM
Also lastly Oden doesn't need to shoot outside of 3 feet lol. He's a center... Bosh is the one that will need to stretch the floor... Man you have no idea what you're talking about do you?

Pacerlive
08-07-2013, 05:45 PM
Oden is a better free throw shooter than Chris Andersen, and it's not even close.

Percentage wise in his last year in the NBA Oden did 75% while Andersen is a career 65% FT shooter... He's never even came close to 75%...

I am looking at what he did in the playoffs this year. He was pretty good from the charity strip and I think he will move faster than Oden.

But go ahead and put your hope into Oden and feel free to bump this thread if I am wrong. I don't mind eating crow but I don't think the Oden will be much more than Nazr as I stated before.

ztilzer31
08-07-2013, 07:41 PM
I am looking at what he did in the playoffs this year. He was pretty good from the charity strip and I think he will move faster than Oden.

But go ahead and put your hope into Oden and feel free to bump this thread if I am wrong. I don't mind eating crow but I don't think the Oden will be much more than Nazr as I stated before.

I'm a Sonics fan not a Heat fan.

I don't need to bump any thread... Just saying your complaints about Oden are not valid... Sure there's a chance he sucks balls now, but that doesn't mean you should just make stuff up about how he wasn't good in the first place, and that he can't hit free throws... It's straight false.

SportsFanatic10
08-14-2013, 05:22 PM
looks like there isn't even a player option for next year, just a 1 year vet min deal. great signing by riley any possible way you look at it.

http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/08/14/miami-heat-greg-oden-contract/