PDA

View Full Version : Top 5 Offensive/Defensive Teams this year

Chronz
08-02-2013, 03:11 PM
Heres a look at the top offensive lineups from last year (Sort them by whatever you want, minutes, O/D.RTG)

http://bkref.com/tiny/tCw8f

Best Defensive Lineups

http://bkref.com/tiny/b18j8

Based on nothing but gut instinct, I got it like this

O:
LAC
-------------
MIA
BKN
IND (Their bench really dragged them down, I think thats solved.)
MIN

D:
OKC
CHI
IND
MEM
SAS

I think its obvious that the Clips are gonna be the best Offensive team in the league. They got the best floor general, shooters and finishers, their ultimate success has always hinged on defense however.

The rest tho, Im not so confident in (hence the space).

Tho 1 thing I think I underrate is the importance of bench mobs. I tend to overfocus on starting lineups but the truth is, they prolly only influence 70% of the aggregate.

Top-5 Rankings for the last 2 years:

2013: 2012:
Offense Defense Offense Defense
OKC IND SAS BOS
MIA MEM OKC CHI
NYK SAS DEN PHI
LAC OKC LAC MIA
DEN WAS CHI NYK

--------------------------------------------------------

I made this thread last year : http://forums.prosportsdaily.com/showthread.php?746927-Projecting-the-Best-Offenses-Defenses

In case anyone was wondering how they did

No surprise to the 1st comment:

Why wouldnt the Nets be a best offense?

Deron
JJ
Wallace
Hump
Lopez
???

Not too far off a Top-5 clip but definitely not the best. Do the Nets finish higher this year? I think so.

Yankeefan213
08-02-2013, 03:18 PM
Washington plays good defense? I didn't know that considering I rarely get to see them play and they didn't even make the playoffs with a top 5 defense

Hawkeye15
08-02-2013, 03:22 PM
I think my Wolves may finish top 5 in offense, but their defense is back half of the league most likely.

Chronz
08-02-2013, 03:26 PM
I think my Wolves may finish top 5 in offense, but their defense is back half of the league most likely.

LOL totally forgot about them. Ill squeeze them in

edit: nvm Im really high on Indiana.

Re edit: changed it up again

Chronz
08-02-2013, 03:34 PM
Washington plays good defense? I didn't know that considering I rarely get to see them play and they didn't even make the playoffs with a top 5 defense

The separation between them and 4 other teams was absolutely minimal. but the more I think about it, Im prolly overrating their 2nd half run. They played alot of meaningless basketball, and while their effort is to be commended I dont think teams were trying that hard against them. I just dont know who else I can trust. Miami is obviously the best defensive team when driven but they started off really slow last year. As much as Bron wants to deny it, I think the Heat will be on cruise control defensively. Its hard to apply their system for the full 82+PS.

Celtics are done. That leaves only the Clippers as the elite team from last year. Bledsoe+Odom leaving will hurt us but we can definitely make up for that. If we end up as the best offensive team in the league with a Top-5 defense, thats a recipe for 66 wins. I just cant get that excited about my team, which is why I think we will shine mostly offensively.

Monta is beast
08-02-2013, 03:44 PM
Strong chance Warriors are in both.

krisxsong
08-02-2013, 03:50 PM
Offense.

1) Miami
2) Brooklyn
3) Houston
4) Golden State
5) OKC

Defense

1) Chicago
2) Memphis
3) Indiana
4) Houston
5) San Antonio

NYKnickFanatic
08-02-2013, 03:57 PM

I agree and I wouldn't be surprised.

Chronz
08-02-2013, 04:04 PM

Iggy factor is definitely at play, but offensively? You need Klay to take a step up and while I do like Iggy's fit offensively, I think there will be an adjustment period. He and Ty Lawson went through similar growing pains in Denver only to come roaring back later. By seasons end, you guys should be an elite offensive team with a strong defense (top-10 or so). I just dont know if I trust Curry+Lee enough to put them in the top 5 defensively tho

Offense.

1) Miami
2) Brooklyn
3) Houston
4) Golden State
5) OKC

Defense

1) Chicago
2) Memphis
3) Indiana
4) Houston
5) San Antonio

Im prolly disrespecting the hell out of San Antonio, I dont have them on either list but they were arguably the best 2-way team in the league last year. Their top lineups were even better so it underscores their effectiveness.

Ill put them in my top5 defensively, at the least.

But you're making a bigger mistake by ignoring the Clippers IMO. I can see the argument for those who think Doc will make them regress offensively for the sake of defensive improvements, but you dont even have them in that class either. Just where would you rank them?

flea
08-02-2013, 04:12 PM
O: Spurs, Warriors, Clippers, Hawks, Thunder
D: Heat, Pacers, Grizzlies, Bulls, Thunder

bearadonisdna
08-02-2013, 04:16 PM
The Bulls could be top 5 in defense, almost assuredly.
If Drose and his cast are clicking, they are a threat to crack top 5 in offense as well.

kdspurman
08-02-2013, 04:32 PM
Im prolly disrespecting the hell out of San Antonio, I dont have them on either list but they were arguably the best 2-way team in the league last year. Their top lineups were even better so it underscores their effectiveness.

But you're making a bigger mistake by ignoring the Clippers IMO. I can see the argument for those who think Doc will make them regress offensively for the sake of defensive improvements, but you dont even have them in that class either. Just where would you rank them?

Yup, last year their offense took a hit from the previous year but their defense was much improved. I don't expect them in the top 5 offensively, but I think they'll be there defensively.

HYFR
08-02-2013, 05:01 PM
Okc, ind, Portland logged heavy minutes with there lineups. These stats have to be taken with a grain of salt no?

Chronz
08-02-2013, 05:26 PM
Okc, ind, Portland logged heavy minutes with there lineups. These stats have to be taken with a grain of salt no?
So you're using the counterargument, that they are less likely to replicate pristine health/stability. I can buy that, but I think adding Granger/Scola will alleviate the absolute necessity of that rotation. I can see PG improving a ton, and Hibbert suffered with a broken wrist or something, it seriously reduced his offensive efficiency to the point that certain Heat fans made threads like this: http://forums.prosportsdaily.com/showthread.php?804628-Does-Roy-Hibbert-have-one-of-the-worst-contracts

A healthy Hibbert should be a force.

cmellofan15
08-02-2013, 09:27 PM
I think Denver can at least nab the 5 spot again this year barring any big time injuries to Gallinari or Lawson

JerseyPalahniuk
08-02-2013, 09:39 PM
So you're using the counterargument, that they are less likely to replicate pristine health/stability. I can buy that, but I think adding Granger/Scola will alleviate the absolute necessity of that rotation. I can see PG improving a ton, and Hibbert suffered with a broken wrist or something, it seriously reduced his offensive efficiency to the point that certain Heat fans made threads like this: http://forums.prosportsdaily.com/showthread.php?804628-Does-Roy-Hibbert-have-one-of-the-worst-contracts

A healthy Hibbert should be a force.

Still Indy over Houston??

lol, please
08-03-2013, 01:15 AM
Heres a look at the top offensive lineups from last year (Sort them by whatever you want, minutes, O/D.RTG)

http://bkref.com/tiny/tCw8f

Best Defensive Lineups

http://bkref.com/tiny/b18j8

Based on nothing but gut instinct, I got it like this

O:
LAC
-------------
MIA
BKN
IND (Their bench really dragged them down, I think thats solved.)
MIN

D:
OKC
CHI
IND
MEM
SAS

I think its obvious that the Clips are gonna be the best Offensive team in the league. They got the best floor general, shooters and finishers, their ultimate success has always hinged on defense however.

The rest tho, Im not so confident in (hence the space).

Tho 1 thing I think I underrate is the importance of bench mobs. I tend to overfocus on starting lineups but the truth is, they prolly only influence 70% of the aggregate.

Top-5 Rankings for the last 2 years:

2013: 2012:
Offense Defense Offense Defense
OKC IND SAS BOS
MIA MEM OKC CHI
NYK SAS DEN PHI
LAC OKC LAC MIA
DEN WAS CHI NYK

--------------------------------------------------------

I made this thread last year : http://forums.prosportsdaily.com/showthread.php?746927-Projecting-the-Best-Offenses-Defenses

In case anyone was wondering how they did

No surprise to the 1st comment:

Not too far off a Top-5 clip but definitely not the best. Do the Nets finish higher this year? I think so.

Didn't mention the Warriors. Can't take this seriously then. Clearly biased.

sagemania
08-03-2013, 02:19 AM
Houston had the second best offense last season with just shooting 3's. Now with Dwight who can score himself or create double teams(great open looks for the shooters) will make the Rockets even better. On defense Houston's most urgent problem stemed from the perimeter. Our interior defense was one of the best and it will only get better with Howard/Asik combo.

krisxsong
08-03-2013, 02:28 AM

Defensively? Probably right at 6 or 7.