PDA

View Full Version : Who will be the Rangers Best Defenseman?

bsi
08-01-2013, 05:46 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/york-rangers-no-1-defenseman-2013-201200081.html

Good Article

IAmARanger18
08-01-2013, 09:37 PM
A healthy Staal is our best shut-down defensemen, but Mac is right up there next to him and getting better.

bsi
08-01-2013, 10:09 PM
I agree for sure but I really do think DelZotto will take a big step ahead this year and he will be right with those guys but in a different capacity.

Redfish
08-01-2013, 11:09 PM
I agree for sure but I really do think DelZotto will take a big step ahead this year and he will be right with those guys but in a different capacity.

I am of the view that Del Zotto is similar to Dubinsky, in that he never seemed to mature into his skillset and reach a level of professionalism needed to play at a high level consistently. Dubinsky did it one year, preceding his contract renewal, but never again. Del Zotto is young, though, and plays a difficult position, so that needs to be considered.

However, I would trade Del Zotto and a 2nd rounder for a top LW power forward, or goal scorer, if available.

bsi
08-02-2013, 06:51 AM
I am of the view that Del Zotto is similar to Dubinsky, in that he never seemed to mature into his skillset and reach a level of professionalism needed to play at a high level consistently. Dubinsky did it one year, preceding his contract renewal, but never again. Del Zotto is young, though, and plays a difficult position, so that needs to be considered.

However, I would trade Del Zotto and a 2nd rounder for a top LW power forward, or goal scorer, if available.

Minus his injuries Dubinsky had a good season with 20pts in 29 games this past year without Tortorella. I still think we're a better team with him in the lineup and that he was always a better center than a winger contrary to what Tortorella thought, not that I'm implying that he's better than Nash, just think that if we were somehow able to have kept him and gotten Nash we'd be better. Had Dubinsky been able to play the whole season he would have lead the Jackets in points. I think the same thing will happen for DelZotto with a longer leash.
As for trading DelZotto I think we finally, after years of having not enough D,we now have 6 defensemen we can put on the ice with confidence, I think it would be wise to hang on to our D as it's being perceived now as one of the better mobile D in the league. I know LW might be a problem for us if Kreider or Pouliott can't fill that role but we finally have a good D and I think if we're making trades they should come from somewhere else. If it is a D man being traded I vote for Girardi, love him but he's gonna be crippled in 3 years at the pace he's going, or Stralman.

Yankee Clipper
08-02-2013, 12:37 PM
A healthy Staal is, otherwise it's McDonagh. McDonagh is only 24 though so he can easily improve in the next couple of seasons.

metswon69
08-02-2013, 04:28 PM
I think Mac really started growing into our best shut down defender last year but the difference between him and a healthy Staal is negligible.

I really hope to see Del Zotto's offensive game begins to become more consistent under AV.

Redfish
08-04-2013, 09:09 AM
A healthy Staal is our best shut-down defensemen, but Mac is right up there next to him and getting better.

I think this is a fair assessment; I just wish Staal had a little nastiness to his game. He is a very "honest" player who could use his physique/size more; it seems Crosby is more aggressive with our players at times than a guy like Staal, and that should not be.

IAmARanger18
08-04-2013, 11:30 AM
I think this is a fair assessment; I just wish Staal had a little nastiness to his game. He is a very "honest" player who could use his physique/size more; it seems Crosby is more aggressive with our players at times than a guy like Staal, and that should not be.

Oh Staal has dished out his fair share of hits, just ask Crosby, he was the victim of one.

SLY WILLIAMS
08-05-2013, 03:19 PM
On any given night it could be McD, Staal or Girardi but I'm hoping John Moore takes a step up as well :)

nyr2002nyr
08-05-2013, 07:39 PM
A healthy Staal is, otherwise it's McDonagh. McDonagh is only 24 though so he can easily improve in the next couple of seasons.

Pretty spot on. Staal is more physical and Mac has speed that makes up for so many mistakes and he can skate with anyone.

redwhiteandblue
08-05-2013, 08:00 PM
Regression from Girardi, but will still be a very good #3.

If Staal is healthy I think in a system like AV's we could see him finally develop and mature into an all around offensive d-man like we had always hoped.

Del Z will improve but I just don't see him maxing out into a great all-around top 4. I think he will be an offensive juggernaut (50+ points a year) for years and spotty defensive play with the propensity to land a big hit and play mean yet stupid.

McDonagh I see taking a huge leap forward this year. I don't even see Norris trophy candidacy out of his reach in the next year or two. He is the whole package. A second Staal with room to still grow. Staal is pretty far along and even if he doesn't grow any further he is a great top pairing d-man, but I think McDonagh shares the same potential and can hit it.

So I would say:

1a) McDonagh
1b) Staal
3) Girardi
4) Del Z

Moore is a great addition off the Gaborik trade. He holds a lot of value. He can really make leaps this year just based on his seasoning and potential and really have us sending 5 top 4 d-men into 2015. I know that's far ahead but a defense corpse of

McDonagh-Staal
Girardi-Del Zotto
Moore-McIlrath

Someone will be shipped off by then though.

0007joek
08-07-2013, 10:37 AM

If Staal is healthy I think in a system like AV's we could see him finally develop and mature into an all around offensive d-man like we had always hoped.

Del Z will improve but I just don't see him maxing out into a great all-around top 4. I think he will be an offensive juggernaut (50+ points a year) for years and spotty defensive play with the propensity to land a big hit and play mean yet stupid.

McDonagh I see taking a huge leap forward this year. I don't even see Norris trophy candidacy out of his reach in the next year or two. He is the whole package. A second Staal with room to still grow. Staal is pretty far along and even if he doesn't grow any further he is a great top pairing d-man, but I think McDonagh shares the same potential and can hit it.

So I would say:

1a) McDonagh
1b) Staal
3) Girardi
4) Del Z

Moore is a great addition off the Gaborik trade. He holds a lot of value. He can really make leaps this year just based on his seasoning and potential and really have us sending 5 top 4 d-men into 2015. I know that's far ahead but a defense corpse of

McDonagh-Staal
Girardi-Del Zotto
Moore-McIlrath

The problem we had was the way the Defensemen were being used. I believe that some guys were being overworked and it effected their game. Its time to get back and use 3 sets instead of 2 sets doing games. I also think it will help cutdown on injuries to the Defensemen as well. Its too long of a season to do what Torts was doing, and it showed during the playoffs.

bsi
08-07-2013, 10:44 AM

So I would say:

1a) McDonagh
1b) Staal
3) Girardi
4) Del Z

McDonagh-Staal
Girardi-Del Zotto
Moore-McIlrath

The problem we had was the way the Defensemen were being used. I believe that some guys were being overworked and it effected their game. Its time to get back and use 3 sets instead of 2 sets doing games. I also think it will help cutdown on injuries to the Defensemen as well. Its too long of a season to do what Torts was doing, and it showed during the playoffs.

I totally agree. You cant ask a guy like Del Zotto to play all night, pk pp and reg strength and then join the rush every couple shifts and be defensively responsible all in one. A rest will go a long way in increasing Del zotto's offense.

SLY WILLIAMS
08-07-2013, 10:54 AM
Dylan Mcilrath working out

https://twitter.com/cpickard1/status/364852287522365440

redwhiteandblue
08-08-2013, 04:07 PM
I agree in regards to guys being mis-used. Wasn't a strength of Torts to adjust and be flexible. Del Z just doesn't strike me as anyone with great value on the D side of the puck. Staal is a top 2, and McDonagh is on the cusp. I think Girardi is a great player but he's a mid-pairing d-man, not top 2 and not meant to be leaned on so hard.

I'm glad to go back to rolling 3 sets of D and Moore is a big reason why. I would like to get him another veteran d-man very suitable to fill out the D corpse and learn from with Stralman in a 6/7 role.

IAmARanger18
08-09-2013, 02:33 PM
Del Zotto will finally come full-circle this year. He started to get better on the defensive side last year and under AV I think the offensive side of his will be more complete.

Rangers in 7
08-14-2013, 11:15 PM
i agree with all those who believe girardi will be on his way down in the next few years, the way he plays the game just will hurt him soon...personally i believe he is the one that goes next year in a trade, i just dont want to overpay for a guy that will be on the decline soon, not saying i dont like him just dont believe he can sustain the level that everyone thinks he is at...hes a mid pairing dman at best

itsmillertime
08-24-2013, 07:12 AM
I can tell you who will be the most important. McIlrath the second he takes the ice in the NHL for us. Our crease has had other teams forwards parked in front for years. There is no intimidation factor on our defense. The 4th line is usually useless offensively because they have to put a goon on it to handle the enforcer duties. All this will end when McIlrath joins the team.

NYSPORTS98
08-27-2013, 10:22 AM
I can tell you who will be the most important. McIlrath the second he takes the ice in the NHL for us. Our crease has had other teams forwards parked in front for years. There is no intimidation factor on our defense. The 4th line is usually useless offensively because they have to put a goon on it to handle the enforcer duties. All this will end when McIlrath joins the team.

Hope he works out. I have my concerns about his balance and skating. He will hit and clear the crease, that's for sure.

bsi
08-27-2013, 05:42 PM

Hope he works out. I have my concerns about his balance and skating. He will hit and clear the crease, that's for sure.

I am now getting nervous about him, did we waste a #1 pick on a Kevin Hatchet type player? He really has to step up his game.

SLY WILLIAMS
08-27-2013, 06:10 PM
If you mean Kevin Hatcher I do not see them as similar types of players (Kevin was strong offensively) but Kevin Hatcher would not be a waste in my opinion. The guy was a pretty good player before he hit his 30's.

bsi
08-28-2013, 12:57 AM
If you mean Kevin Hatcher I do not see them as similar types of players (Kevin was strong offensively) but Kevin Hatcher would not be a waste in my opinion. The guy was a pretty good player before he hit his 30's.

He was good until they took holding out of the game...then he was just a slow pylon.

bsi
08-28-2013, 08:44 AM
For those who doubt Marc Staal's abilities, this is what is others think of him. Canada has an impressive list of D to choose from but the tsn panel put Staal on the second pair D, ahead of the Norris trophy winner.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=430639

NYSPORTS98
08-28-2013, 08:20 PM
For those who doubt Marc Staal's abilities, this is what is others think of him. Canada has an impressive list of D to choose from but the tsn panel put Staal on the second pair D, ahead of the Norris trophy winner.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=430639

For those you keeping score at home. Hockey has likely fewer high school graduates than any of the major sports and the most GM's without a college education. Maybe one will be dumb enough to take Staal who, oh by the way, still has blurry vision. Get rid of him

Despite the fact that the vision in Marc Staal's right eye remains slightly blurry and always may be, the New York Rangers defenseman is proclaiming himself 100 percent healthy and ready to rediscover his All-Star form starting at training camp in September.

"The eye is still not normal, but I feel back to normal," Staal told NHL.com Tuesday at Canada Olympic orientation camp.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=681048&navid=DL|NHL|home

bsi
08-28-2013, 10:56 PM
For those you keeping score at home. Hockey has likely fewer high school graduates than any of the major sports and the most GM's without a college education. Maybe one will be dumb enough to take Staal who, oh by the way, still has blurry vision. Get rid of him

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=681048&navid=DL|NHL|home

Ya...you're probably right, I mean what would Steve Yzerman and Mike Babcock know about hockey anyway really, they should probably go back to high school and learn about the civil wars and practice their algebra and come back so they could do their job better. I suppose we should hang out at the university and see if we could find a GM for Canada, I hear there's a girl that's guaranteed to be on the Dean's list this year, maybe we should grab her before someone else gets her. I wonder what her take would be on the addition of Marc Staal to the Canadian lineup, I'm sure she could make a nice flow chart to explain the perceived pros and cons or maybe she could compare him to an old civil war vet who got hit with a flying object back in the early 1900's.

NYSPORTS98
08-29-2013, 09:08 AM
Ya...you're probably right, I mean what would Steve Yzerman and Mike Babcock know about hockey anyway really, they should probably go back to high school and learn about the civil wars and practice their algebra and come back so they could do their job better. .

or just put up two fingers and see if Staal see's four. So far, even Staal admits it's blurry. Let me guess, Staal is so good he play without vision. I hope on of these hockey dopes does believe this and trades for Staal. An educated person knows hockey without vision is a problem.

bsi
08-29-2013, 11:09 AM
or just put up two fingers and see if Staal see's four. So far, even Staal admits it's blurry. Let me guess, Staal is so good he play without vision. I hope on of these hockey dopes does believe this and trades for Staal. An educated person knows hockey without vision is a problem.

Ya, there's only two suckers in that deal you and Sather. Marc Staal said he's back to normal and doesn't notice the eye at all. Not everyone has perfect vision in the NHL, my best friend through high school had to get me to read ***** off the black boards and share notes with him in order to keep up in class, the guy played 8 seasons of NHL until he got a bulged disk in his back. He can't drive without glasses but can play hockey without anything. It's not cut and dry that if you don't have perfect vision you can't play hockey, if that were the case half the league would be home and yes I get it, he took a puck in the eye, he missed time etc etc but he says it's not bothering him at all so what's the problem?

SLY WILLIAMS
08-29-2013, 11:47 AM
Vision is a tricky issue. On one hand I know Bryan Berard had major problems due to his vision. On the other hand I know the best Dman in my local league only has 1 real eye. The other eye is a glass eye. I do not know how the eye injury will effect Marc if at all. We will have to wait and see. I hope he is fine. By the way Girardi will wear a visor next season in part because of Marc's injury.

In regards to the education issue I'd be curious to see those stats. I know many hockey players go through juniors but I have often found hockey players to be more intelligent than most other major sports athletes. Some NFL players and NBA players may go to college but not really crack open many books. I think most MLB players go through the minors instead of college.

bsi
08-29-2013, 12:07 PM
Bryan Berards injury was significantly worse than Staal's, he was pretty well blind in one eye and yet he still played after, not at the same level but he had one eye.

With regards to education I have a guy on staff that is educated up the ying yang that can't do half the stuff a high school grad does on a daily basis, education is good to have but it doesnt necessarily make you better at something, especially in sports, experience, love of the game and an eye for seeing potential win every time.

NYSPORTS98
08-29-2013, 02:24 PM
Ya, there's only two suckers in that deal you and Sather.

Not even sure what that means.

Appears you're ignoring Staal's claims that his own eye is still blurry and solely focussing on his skate around with his brothers. Last I checked, he hasn't even played a game so this Olympic hoopla about lines isn't worth the pencil it's written in.

For our mod, as far as education, the GM's in the NHL have less education than the other major sports is what I said. No doubt the other sports players likely attend few classes outside of the popular major of basket weaving. You won't see those guys taking the GM role in the other major sports unlike hockey (although the Knicks did have Thomas who was a failure).

Hoping one of these GM's wants Staal and the Rangers move him.

bsi
08-29-2013, 03:30 PM
Ya, there's only two suckers in that deal you and Sather.

Not even sure what that means.

Appears you're ignoring Staal's claims that his own eye is still blurry and solely focussing on his skate around with his brothers. Last I checked, he hasn't even played a game so this Olympic hoopla about lines isn't worth the pencil it's written in.

For our mod, as far as education, the GM's in the NHL have less education than the other major sports is what I said. No doubt the other sports players likely attend few classes outside of the popular major of basket weaving. You won't see those guys taking the GM role in the other major sports unlike hockey (although the Knicks did have Thomas who was a failure).

Hoping one of these GM's wants Staal and the Rangers move him.

Staal's words "Limitations? I have no limitations at all."

SLY WILLIAMS
08-29-2013, 03:49 PM
We can not say for sure what Staal will be yet. He does not know for sure himself until he plays in some games. A lot of people dislike wearing the visor even w/o a eye injury. I remember with Berard that he was saying how good things were when he first came here but the eye still played a role in his game. Lets hope for the best case scenario with Marc. He is a good guy an we need him to be a top team.

In regards to the Olympic invites they are great but invites and making the team are not always the same. Some guys get invited based on the last team. Some on their current play and some on reputation. I do not think Cally would have got invited only based on his last season but based on his hostory he was invited.

NYSPORTS98
08-29-2013, 05:44 PM
Staal's words "Limitations? I have no limitations at all."

Besides blurry vision which has yet to be tested besides a skate around with his brothers.

Mr.Wiskers
10-12-2013, 11:15 PM
I' m not concerned with Staal's vision at all, It doesn't seem to effect his play---I think he's played well so far.
1. I am more afraid of him walking away to go play with his brothers and we would have nothing to show for it.
2. Dorsett taking stupid penalties.
3. Boyle and Pyatt looking slow and old on the ice--Fast needs better linemates.

bsi
10-13-2013, 12:28 PM
Staal has been our best d man....though thats not saying much the vision isnt a problem.

NYSPORTS98
10-13-2013, 09:54 PM
Staal has been our best d man....though thats not saying much the vision isnt a problem.

Happy he can see.

Mr.Wiskers
10-14-2013, 01:02 PM
You're missing the drummer to finish off the line. LOL!