PDA

View Full Version : No Joke: Steven Wright called up to reinforce BP

RedSoxtober
08-01-2013, 03:44 PM
Pete Abraham

Steven Wright called up by the #RedSoxtwitta

AI
08-01-2013, 03:52 PM
He'll be sent down when Workman is eligible to be called up again.

ruckus16969
08-01-2013, 05:19 PM
Hmmmmmmmm

Station 13
08-01-2013, 06:08 PM
Couldn't they have Peavy start today? Have Dempster in the BP. 10 days before he can return is a lot of games.

Nomar
08-01-2013, 07:28 PM
My guess.

Workman called up
Wright DFA'd
Bogaerts put on 40 man
Snyder sent down to Pawtucket
Bogaerts called up to Boston
Ranaudo called up, takes Wrights old rotation spot in AAA.

goshhhjosh
08-01-2013, 07:58 PM
Redsoxtober,

I thought I'd be the first, nice thread title. Great comedian.

Lackeyfan41
08-01-2013, 09:11 PM
My guess.

Workman called up
Wright DFA'd
Bogaerts put on 40 man
Snyder sent down to Pawtucket
Bogaerts called up to Boston
Ranaudo called up, takes Wrights old rotation spot in AAA.
Wait... what?

Wright has been great why would they DFA him? That makes no sense

bosox1899
08-01-2013, 10:53 PM
Clearly because he doesn't have a brand name (sarcasm)

The Allen
08-01-2013, 10:55 PM
Steven Wright = beast :eyebrow:

-Lavigne43-
08-01-2013, 10:55 PM
Snyder is out of options, he has to be dfa'ed to be removed from the roster.

Nomar
08-01-2013, 11:48 PM
Oops. They can DFA Snyder and send Wright down then.

And Wright is getting pretty lucky seeing as he isnt even a good AAA pitcher.

Lackeyfan41
08-01-2013, 11:52 PM
Oops. They can DFA Snyder and send Wright down then.

And Wright is getting pretty lucky seeing as he isnt even a good AAA pitcher.
He has changed a few things up and has been lights out except for one start since he made the changes.

It looks like the change he made in his delivery has helped him a lot, hopefully it translates into big league success. Look at Dickey, he was never a MLB pitcher until his 30's when he found the knuckleball.

Nomar
08-02-2013, 12:00 AM
He has changed a few things up and has been lights out except for one start since he made the changes.

It looks like the change he made in his delivery has helped him a lot, hopefully it translates into big league success. Look at Dickey, he was never a MLB pitcher until his 30's when he found the knuckleball.

What has he changed? He's been mediocre all year.

Redsox07Champs
08-02-2013, 12:23 AM
What has he changed? He's been mediocre all year.

Last time he was with Boston, he actually had a really clutch outing. He threw 5 2/3 shut out innings and Boston won in 10 innings. Other than one outing that he got hit pretty hard in for the Paw Sox this past month, he's actually been pretty dominant. He's thrown 2 complete game shutouts and then comes through huge tonight with 3 shutout innings. Soooo what are you talking about?

Nomar
08-02-2013, 12:34 AM
Last time he was with Boston, he actually had a really clutch outing. He threw 5 2/3 shut out innings and Boston won in 10 innings. Other than one outing that he got hit pretty hard in for the Paw Sox this past month, he's actually been pretty dominant. He's thrown 2 complete game shutouts and then comes through huge tonight with 3 shutout innings. Soooo what are you talking about?

I mean I'm not saying he wasn't clutch twice, I'm just saying he's a ****** pitcher. He's just not good and will always be up and down his whole career. Most of his time will be in AAA likely. He doesn't strike many people out and walks a good deal of batters. He has 55 walks in 105 IP in AAA.

Just because he pitched a few scoreless tonight doesn't mean he's good... I'm happy for him and the tam but he's just a below average pitcher.

Redsox07Champs
08-02-2013, 12:58 AM
well obviously hes not randy johnson...i wouldnt call him mediocre or below average. hes a knuckleballer in the works. to me, for what he has accomplished while taking his bumps, hes been pretty good, especially when hes been clutch.

Lackeyfan41
08-02-2013, 04:12 AM
I mean I'm not saying he wasn't clutch twice, I'm just saying he's a ****** pitcher. He's just not good and will always be up and down his whole career. Most of his time will be in AAA likely. He doesn't strike many people out and walks a good deal of batters. He has 55 walks in 105 IP in AAA.

Just because he pitched a few scoreless tonight doesn't mean he's good... I'm happy for him and the tam but he's just a below average pitcher.
You can't look at the whole year.

He changed his delivery some point towards the end of June, ever since then he has been dominant other than one outing in AAA. And every pitcher has a bad outing every once in awhile.

I am not saying he is great I am just saying he could have found something and could keep up what he has been doing

RedSoxtober
08-02-2013, 08:59 AM
Couldn't they have Peavy start today? Have Dempster in the BP. 10 days before he can return is a lot of games.
My guess is that it'll give Workman time to adjust to the BP role for the rest of the year.

After Dempster's performance last night, though, I was kinda hoping that he might develop a phantom injury that required the DL (if only for time off). If that comes to pass then Workman could return sooner than 10 days in order to fill the injury.

You can't look at the whole year.

He changed his delivery some point towards the end of June, ever since then he has been dominant other than one outing in AAA. And every pitcher has a bad outing every once in awhile.
Knuckleballers are notoriously streaking. Wake's early career featured a season not unlike Dickey last year. They can go on unhittable runs for 10 games and then game 11 give up 8R/2IP without changing a thing.

Nomar
08-02-2013, 09:25 AM
Please tell me where you see this change in delivery and ill believe you. He isn't RA Dickey. RA Dickey was a product of Citi Field and confidence. Where is he now? Back to a pitcher who wouldn't even have a spot in our rotation. And Dickey is a huge step up from wright still.

Station 13
08-02-2013, 12:07 PM
I'd thaw out Wright for every Mariners series.

As for Dempster, JFC, he's signed through next season.

Sarge
08-02-2013, 02:21 PM
Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things.

Sarge
08-02-2013, 02:22 PM
or:

Atheism is a nonprophet organization.

-Lavigne43-
08-04-2013, 12:12 PM
He's starting on Tuesday vs the Astros to give the rotation another day. Workman is getting called up because Nava is going on the paternity list. I'm sure they planned that out. He will probably have his first bullpen outing on Tuesday in long relief.

ruckus16969
08-04-2013, 04:16 PM
http://www.csnne.com/baseball-boston-red-sox/knuckleballer-wright-start-sox-tuesday

Crucis
08-06-2013, 05:58 PM
I can appreciate the desire to insert a spot-start in the Astros series to give the regular starters an extra day of rest. But why did it have to be Wright? Why not Workman? It's not like he's pitched since his last start and isn't rested? This doesn't make much sense to me. Oh well.

bruins>habs
08-06-2013, 06:14 PM
I can appreciate the desire to insert a spot-start in the Astros series to give the regular starters an extra day of rest. But why did it have to be Wright? Why not Workman? It's not like he's pitched since his last start and isn't rested? This doesn't make much sense to me. Oh well.

Well Workman is going to the bullpen right? That may have something to do with it.

-Lavigne43-
08-06-2013, 06:18 PM
Wright is probably being sent down after the game.

Crucis
08-06-2013, 06:20 PM
Well Workman is going to the bullpen right? That may have something to do with it.

I realize that that's the plan. But he hasn't pitched an inning in relief since his last start with the Sox. The "plan" for the bullpen really hasn't started for Workman (at least that I know of). Why not give him this start today, THEN transition him to the bullpen? There's really no logic here that I can discern.

Bo Sox Fan
08-06-2013, 06:29 PM
Why is Nava heading to paternity leave, is he pregnant?

Nomar
08-06-2013, 06:54 PM

Yes

RedSoxtober
08-06-2013, 07:18 PM

I suspect Pittz. rnoderator powers should not be taken lightly.

RedSoxtober
08-06-2013, 07:24 PM

I'm COMPLETELY with you. You're correct that he has not pitched anywhere (not even in the minors) since being demoted. Maybe they're a little worried about rust? At any rate I would have liked to see him get this start and let Wright stay in the BP as the long man. Workman could be a 6th/7th inning MR in a couple of days if need be (basically what would be a side session day).

More important (to me) is that tomorrow's starter is Dempster. If Dempster struggles again vs KCR then Workman could step into his spot for a turn or two next time through the rotation without too much disruption.

Nomar
08-06-2013, 08:27 PM
Wait... what?

Wright has been great why would they DFA him? That makes no sense

Remind me how great Wright is again

Crucis
08-06-2013, 09:21 PM
I see that the issue off Workman pitching today has become moot. I wouldn't be shocked to see him go 5-6 innings. It's just a shame that it took Wright giving up 3 runs in the first inning to do it. :(

AI
08-06-2013, 09:25 PM
Way I see it so far. Wright is good in a swingman role and Workman thus far has been more efficient as a starter. Will BW uktimately be able to transition into a bullpen role? We'll see.

Nomar
08-06-2013, 09:38 PM
Way I see it so far. Wright is good in a swingman role and Workman thus far has been more efficient as a starter. Will BW uktimately be able to transition into a bullpen role? We'll see.

Not worried about Workman. Wright belongs in the minors.

Crucis
08-06-2013, 10:08 PM
Not worried about Workman. Wright belongs in the minors.

Nomar, I think that one problem with Wright could be something that's not really his problem, and that is perhaps the Sox' catchers just aren't well-versed in catching knuckleballers. After all, we know that KB-ers can be a serious challenge for catchers and passed balls are common. If the Sox catchers aren't up to the job, it may not matter if Wright is good or not. That's part of the risk with KB-ers.

Nomar
08-06-2013, 10:40 PM
Nomar, I think that one problem with Wright could be something that's not really his problem, and that is perhaps the Sox' catchers just aren't well-versed in catching knuckleballers. After all, we know that KB-ers can be a serious challenge for catchers and passed balls are common. If the Sox catchers aren't up to the job, it may not matter if Wright is good or not. That's part of the risk with KB-ers.

Even disregarding tonight, do you really think a knuckleball relief pitcher whos prone to walking people is an asset out of the bullpen when we have people like Britton, RDLR, or Workman capable of long relief?

Crucis
08-06-2013, 10:58 PM
Even disregarding tonight, do you really think a knuckleball relief pitcher whos prone to walking people is an asset out of the bullpen when we have people like Britton, RDLR, or Workman capable of long relief?

Heck no. I was only making the point that even if a KB-er was as good as the other options, he'd come with the risk that catchers would have a hard time dealing with the KB, whereas "normal" pitchers are known quantities for catchers to "catch".

RedSoxtober
08-07-2013, 08:15 AM
I kinda got what I wanted, I guess. Wake used to pitch well at the Trop because the dome supposedly helped the knuckler dance more. Both Wright and Lavarnway commented after the game that that was true last night as well. Unfortunately Wright also basically said that he had no clue where the ball was going as a result.

Wake pretty much fit that profile but came out of the BP, even as a closer, almost 130 times from 1999-2002. The current Sox have many more options than that crew but it's okay to say that it's possible for a KBer to pull it off. Perhaps it's worth Farrell keeping in mind that while Wright has had two brilliant runs as the long man both were against SEA.

Lackeyfan41
08-07-2013, 02:09 PM
So much hate for Wright...

He has been good for this club, last night the ball was just crazy. You can't judge a guy on one start.

I say send him down to the minors and let him find his stuff again and then bring him back up.

RedSoxtober
08-07-2013, 06:41 PM
So much hate for Wright...

He has been good for this club, last night the ball was just crazy. You can't judge a guy on one start.

I say send him down to the minors and let him find his stuff again and then bring him back up.

I find this baffling. Completely guano crazy.

We can't judge him on one start but YOU can judge him on two relief appearances? Seriously, he's had only four appearances for the Sox in his ENTIRE CAREER. His first was a throw-gas-on-the-fire affair (3.2IP, 6H, 4BB, 5ER, 4K) in a blowout loss to OAK in April. Next he throws 5.2IP (Jul 11) and 3.0IP (Aug 1) of scoreless ball against a SEA team that basically can't hit. His second effort is looked at fondly but it was really all about the improbable 7-run 9th-inning explosion that was the story. He contributed for sure but I think it's viewed more favorably because of the outcome. And then there was the first inning last night.

That's all there is. Somehow you've parlayed two long relief appearances separated by almost three weeks against a crappy AL lineup into him having "been good for this club." :confused:

The list of pitchers who've thrown in relief with better overall results and more innings in 2013 includes Aceves, Mortensen, and Wilson. Aceves has done better as BOTH a SP and RP. Add Pedro Beato to the list soon and De La Torre is not far off either. This is AAAA fodder, nothing else.

Super.
08-08-2013, 10:08 AM
Wright is foddering garbage and not much else

todu82
08-09-2013, 04:18 PM
Never heard of the guy before, judging by the response to this news in this thread I'm not missing much.

RedSoxtober
08-09-2013, 05:30 PM
Closed. Wright opted back to PAW when Nava returned from daddy duty.