PDA

View Full Version : 6th Annual PSD Player Rankings #3 SF In The NBA? (Volume: VI)

Mile High Champ
08-01-2013, 10:37 AM
Hey guys, It is that time of year again! Once again we kick of the PSD NBA Off-Season Player Rankings. This is the 6th year I have done this on PSD and it always brings some great discussion and debate. Please keep things civil and discuss who you feel is most fitting and deserving of being voted in each poll.

A lot has changed since last season. Lebron James and the Miami Heat are back to back NBA champions after an exciting 7 game series win over the Spurs. Let start the discussion since lots has changed since the start of last season. Please TRY AND VOTE FOR THE BEST PLAYER AND DON'T BE A HOMER. I will leave the poll open for one day and than we can carry on to the next best player at that position. I will add more players after each round. I have also included the results of those last 5 years so everyone can see how much things have changed...Enjoy.

Due to some people complaining that the rule was not written for the PG poll; in order to be eligible for these rankings, players must of played in 10 or more games last season. Thank you.

REMEMBER this is based on who is the best player, not the player who has the potential to be the best

1) Lebron James
2) Kevin Durant
3)
4)
5)
6)
7)
8)
9)
10)

2012 Off-Season PSD SF Rankings

1) Lebron James
2) Kevin Durant
3) Carmelo Anthony
4) Paul Pierce
5) Andre Iguodala
6) Rudy Gay
7) Luol Deng
8) Danny Granger
9) Danilo Gallinari
10) Nicolas Batum

2011 Off-Season Rankings

1) Lebron James
2) Kevin Durant
3) Carmelo Anthony
4) Paul Pierce
5) Andre Iguodala
6) Danny Granger
7) Luol Deng
8) Rudy Gay
9) Gerald Wallace
10) Danilo Gallinari

2010 Off Season SF Rankings

1) Lebron James
2) Kevin Durant
3) Carmelo Anthony
4) Paul Pierce
5) Danny Granger
6) Gerald Wallace
7) Andre Iguodala
8) Rudy Gay
9) Luol Deng
10) Ron Artest

2009 Off Season SF Rankings

1) Lebron James
2) Carmelo Anthony
3) Kevin Durant
4) Paul Pierce
5) Danny Granger
6) Andre Iguodala
7) Caron Butler
8) Hedo Turkoglu
9) Ron Artest
10) Stephen Jackson

2008 Off-Season SF rankings

1) Lebron James
2) Paul Pierce
3) Carmelo Anthony
4) Caron Butler
5) Ron Artest
6) Shawn Marion
7) Josh Smith
8) Richard Jefferson
9) Lamar Odom
10) Tayshaun Prince

Mile High Champ
08-01-2013, 10:44 AM
Per usual, the first two polls have been skipped in order to save time.

Mods please sticky

NYKnicks4511
08-01-2013, 10:46 AM
Uh, Melo. Next.

ManningToTyree
08-01-2013, 10:53 AM
Probably could have skipped number 3 too. Melo

SteBO
08-01-2013, 10:59 AM
I would've personally loved to read the arguments for 'Melo at #2, but definitely him here.

jimm120
08-01-2013, 11:28 AM
I would've personally loved to read the arguments for 'Melo at #2, but definitely him here.

This.

I know Durant would have won but I would have liked to see what arguments there were for Melo. Oh well.

BklynKnicks3
08-01-2013, 11:28 AM
Kd is not better then Melo. I cant say Melo is better then KD either but they are about even. I preached to u people that without westbrook fg% would drop. He shot 42% vs grizz and got worse each game as the scouting report on him with out westbrook grew. Some people have alot to learn.

BklynKnicks3
08-01-2013, 11:29 AM
Melo has westbrook he shoots between 49-52 %

SteBO
08-01-2013, 11:53 AM
Melo has westbrook he shoots between 49-52 %
And you're basing this off of.....??

Dee_Edge
08-01-2013, 11:55 AM
Paul George isn't even on the list and is better than...
Paul Pierce
Rudy Gay
Andre Iguodala
Luol Deng
Danilo Gallinari
Danny Granger
Nicolas Batum
Chandler Parsons
Thaddeus Young
Evan Turner
Kawhi Leonard
Kyle Korver
Metta World Peace
Martell Webster
Andrei Kirilenko
Corey Brewer
Caron Butler
Shawn Marion
Matt Barnes

....WHY?

mjm07
08-01-2013, 11:57 AM

Don't hold your breath for a response...

Melo is clearly 3rd on this list.

SteBO
08-01-2013, 11:57 AM
Paul Pierce
Rudy Gay
Andre Iguodala
Luol Deng
Danilo Gallinari
Danny Granger
Nicolas Batum
Chandler Parsons
Thaddeus Young
Evan Turner
Kawhi Leonard
Kyle Korver
Metta World Peace
Martell Webster
Andrei Kirilenko
Corey Brewer
Caron Butler
Shawn Marion
Matt Barnes

....WHY?
Paul George for most of his young career has played SG, and will be playing the starting SG spot next year as Granger is slated to come back. That's why.

ManRam
08-01-2013, 11:58 AM

I would have loved it too...it would have been funny.

Melo is #3, for sure.

slaker619
08-01-2013, 12:03 PM
Melo no doubt

Dee_Edge
08-01-2013, 12:03 PM
Paul is 6'8" - 6'9.......he played SF all year last year....and was top 5 in my book.

Plus, Granger is not going to just jump right back into a starting role after missing nearly all of last season.
Making the assumption that Granger will be healthy enough for his game to resemble what he delivered two years ago, that still doesn't mean he is better off starting next year. The thought of him playing on the second unit with Scola is quite pleasing to the senses. Also, keeping Stephenson developing in a starting role, but as the fifth option on the floor also seems like the most productive way to go.

nycericanguy
08-01-2013, 12:10 PM

In fairness, the one year that Melo played with a legit 2nd option in AI, he averaged 26ppg and shot 49%.

I do think Melo's "inefficiency" (and that's only relative when you compare him to the greats) is overblown. He has a lot on his shoulders.

Also its an insult to Melo to start at #3 as if its even debatable. Melo is just as much a lock at #3 as LBJ & KD are at 1 & 2.

nycericanguy
08-01-2013, 12:12 PM
Yea the George thing makes zero sense to me... putting a 6'10" guy at SG on nothing but speculation that maybe Granger comes back and starts next year?

jimm120
08-01-2013, 12:27 PM
Because TC did screwy things at the start. He kept assuming that Paul George would go back to SG and that Granger would be at SF next year.

In my opinion, you place them where they played last year. Granger at SF (injured though). George as SF.

Paul Pierce
Rudy Gay
Andre Iguodala
Luol Deng
Danilo Gallinari
Danny Granger
Nicolas Batum
Chandler Parsons
Thaddeus Young
Evan Turner
Kawhi Leonard
Kyle Korver
Metta World Peace
Martell Webster
Andrei Kirilenko
Corey Brewer
Caron Butler
Shawn Marion
Matt Barnes

....WHY?

jimm120
08-01-2013, 12:31 PM
Yea the George thing makes zero sense to me... putting a 6'10" guy at SG on nothing but speculation that maybe Granger comes back and starts next year?

Yeah...and the thing is that pretty much only like 5% of the people that commented on George at SG agreed with it. 95% that spoke about George at SG said it shouldn't be.

TC still put him at SG when he could easily taken him out before George was voted for and affected the rankings.

Chronz
08-01-2013, 01:07 PM
In fairness, the one year that Melo played with a legit 2nd option in AI, he averaged 26ppg and shot 49%.
The years he played with AI actually represented a step back for him in offensive efficiency. In fact, I believe he shot +50% when Andre Miller was on the court and something like 43% with AI during that first stretch. They got better in Y2, but it still represents a step back offensively from what he put up with Dre. Melo is at his best when he has someone to set him up IMO, not when playing alongside other scorers. If that scorer can set him up, then so much the better.

Also, come playoff time, AI and Melo were horrible together.

I do think Melo's "inefficiency" (and that's only relative when you compare him to the greats) is overblown. He has a lot on his shoulders.
Yea but we ARE comparing him to the greats.

nycericanguy
08-01-2013, 01:24 PM
The years he played with AI actually represented a step back for him in offensive efficiency. In fact, I believe he shot +50% when Andre Miller was on the court and something like 43% with AI during that first stretch. They got better in Y2, but it still represents a step back offensively from what he put up with Dre. Melo is at his best when he has someone to set him up IMO, not when playing alongside other scorers. If that scorer can set him up, then so much the better.

Also, come playoff time, AI and Melo were horrible together.

Yea but we ARE comparing him to the greats.

I wouldn't put much stock into his first year with AI when he was traded there mid season though.

Y2 he was very efficient.

And yes he's compared to the greats, and then at the same time most say he's not great... so it's kind of unfair.

It's like comparing a Ford to a BMW as if the Ford is supposed to be on that level.

Hawkeye15
08-01-2013, 01:31 PM
Melo at #3. And I wouldn't have been interested to see the same old arguments for him at #2.

NYKnickFanatic
08-01-2013, 01:42 PM
Melo is a PF forward now. ;)

Played that position all of last year...

NYKnickFanatic
08-01-2013, 01:46 PM

Also its an insult to Melo to start at #3 as if its even debatable. Melo is just as much a lock at #3 as LBJ & KD are at 1 & 2.

You know this is PSD, right? lol

Bruno
08-01-2013, 01:50 PM
Melo in a landslide for #3. especially after his great season, and the deterioration of an aging Paul Pierce. I'd probably go Iggy at #4.

jimm120
08-01-2013, 01:54 PM

and will play it next year according to reports

Mile High Champ
08-01-2013, 01:54 PM
Paul is 6'8" - 6'9.......he played SF all year last year....and was top 5 in my book.

Plus, Granger is not going to just jump right back into a starting role after missing nearly all of last season.
Making the assumption that Granger will be healthy enough for his game to resemble what he delivered two years ago, that still doesn't mean he is better off starting next year. The thought of him playing on the second unit with Scola is quite pleasing to the senses. Also, keeping Stephenson developing in a starting role, but as the fifth option on the floor also seems like the most productive way to go.

If you had been following the nba more closely you would known that Granger is slated to start alongside George next year. The Pacers have said numerous times that if Granger is healthy, he will start. Currently he is healthy and apparently ready to go hence why he was on the SG poll.

Mile High Champ
08-01-2013, 01:57 PM

Not speculation at all. Pacers will start him they have said if he is healthy. So no it is not a stretch and height has nothing to do with position what so ever. No rule says you have to be under a certain height to play a position. I guess with your logic Barkley and his 6'5/6'6 height would be called a SG?

Bookey
08-01-2013, 01:57 PM
Melo easily here, but if your saying that he should have been 2 over Durant just stop, he is only better than Durant in the post, other than that Durant is better at everything else.

NYKnickFanatic
08-01-2013, 02:03 PM
If you had been following the nba more closely you would known that Granger is slated to start alongside George next year. The Pacers have said numerous times that if Granger is healthy, he will start. Currently he is healthy and apparently ready to go hence why he was on the SG poll.

So what is your reason for putting Melo at SF, when he played PF all last year and is going to play PF next year?

1-800-STFU
08-01-2013, 02:06 PM
The answer is pretty clearly Luol Deng. Buncha homers in here.

SteBO
08-01-2013, 02:14 PM
So what is your reason for putting Melo at SF, when he played PF all last year and is going to play PF next year?
'Melo's played SF for practically all of his career.....and Paul George is no exception in regards to the SG slot. MHC's been very consistent with this stuff, so I'm failing to understand what the problem here is. Hell, LeBron played PF a ton the last two years, so?

NYKnickFanatic
08-01-2013, 02:22 PM
'Melo's played SF for practically all of his career.....and Paul George is no exception in regards to the SG slot. MHC's been very consistent with this stuff, so I'm failing to understand what the problem here is. Hell, LeBron played PF a ton the last two years, so?

This is based off last year, and according to MHC, next year. Melo has had his position moved, and is a PF now. We aren't basing this off which position he has played for all of his career. And I don't follow the Heat, so I don't know which position LBJ played.

So, what the problem is?

Chronz
08-01-2013, 02:49 PM
Is Melo really going to play the 4 tho? Bargs and all

nycericanguy
08-01-2013, 02:55 PM
Not speculation at all. Pacers will start him they have said if he is healthy. So no it is not a stretch and height has nothing to do with position what so ever. No rule says you have to be under a certain height to play a position. I guess with your logic Barkley and his 6'5/6'6 height would be called a SG?

its speculation until it happens, what if George plays 10 games at SG next year and then Granger gets hurt again? or if he can't guard SG's and Granger ends up off the bench.

this is largely based on what happened last year, not what we predict for next year, so the positions should reflect that IMO

nycericanguy
08-01-2013, 02:55 PM

tbd

Guppyfighter
08-01-2013, 03:20 PM

He's not inefficient, just not as efficient as Durant. Not really close either. Even if you take his most efficient year.

BklynKnicks3
08-01-2013, 03:31 PM
And you're basing this off of.....?? of the fact that westy would draw attention. Melo would face alot less double teams. Like durant did when westy played and like Melo did when he played with iverson shot 49%

BklynKnicks3
08-01-2013, 03:32 PM
Thats a great point if you are basing it of last season he should be the number 1 pf

Eagles4Lyfe
08-01-2013, 03:34 PM
onto the next one

29$JerZ
08-01-2013, 03:43 PM

Woodson demands it.

JerseyPalahniuk
08-01-2013, 03:46 PM
I wonder where Kwahi ends up

Mile High Champ
08-01-2013, 03:51 PM
What should be done with Melo than? Should I redo the poll with him excluded from the poll and list him as a PF? Will Melo start at PF next year with both Amare and Bargnani on the team? Seems unlikely just from a minutes perspective though. Thoughts?

JerseyPalahniuk
08-01-2013, 03:56 PM
What should be done with Melo than? Should I redo the poll with him excluded from the poll and list him as a PF? Will Melo start at PF next year with both Amare and Bargnani on the team? Seems unlikely just from a minutes perspective though. Thoughts?

I think just move on with the poll as is. If you redid it then Lebron should have to be on the PF one as well. Too much confusion already. I agree that Paul George should've been on SF but let's just move on to #4

sunsfan88
08-01-2013, 04:08 PM
Yea let's go to #4 which I have a feeling that Igoudala will win though Gay should have a good argument.

Chronz
08-01-2013, 04:10 PM
Pierce or Iggy should go once we finish up Melo's victory lap. Gay finally had his eyes fixed so maybe now he can pass the ball and actually shoot effectively.

ManRam
08-01-2013, 04:24 PM
Woodson demands it.

But does the roster? Bargs, Amare and Martin are absolute 4s, even in today's NBA where small lineups can get by. Metta isn't Ron Artest any more and after him who plays the 3? Shumpert? I don't think that would work great.

That's why I thought the Bargs trade was so weird. They talked about how Melo was gonna get more run at the 4 (absolute right move) and then bring in another one-dimensional 4.

ManRam
08-01-2013, 04:24 PM
Gay finally had his eyes fixed so maybe now he can pass the ball and actually shoot effectively.

I'll believe it when I see it.

Dee_Edge
08-01-2013, 04:42 PM

Vogel told Mark Montieth on Pacers.com. "We'll see how it plays out. I want Lance Stephenson fighting to not give up the starting spot, but willing to play off the bench if he needs to. I want Danny coming back thinking he's going to come back as our best player. I want both of those guys approaching it that way and then we'll see how it plays out."

Obviously, there are only two possible outcomes here, so it is quite possible we will see both players take their turn in the starting lineup. But as fun as it is to consider the options of Stephenson starting with Granger off the bench or vice versa, considering the situation will be far more meaningful if Granger can actually return as hoped and remain an option for the Pacers in whatever role works best.

Bruno
08-01-2013, 04:45 PM
I wonder where Kwahi ends up

he has a fine argument within the Iggy/Pierce/Gay/Deng grouping. I might take Leonard as early as 5th after his brilliant post-season; not quite sure I'm ready to throw him in front of Iggy yet. his advanced line says he's #4. dude was a monster once the real season started, he had a great finals. He lead the Spurs in win-shares and WS/48 in the post season by a considerable margin.

Dee_Edge
08-01-2013, 04:50 PM
....and to add

Thaddeus Young & Evan Turner...one is a PF and the other is a SG....in my book....and if Evan Turner plays SF now....he should not even be on this list

nycericanguy
08-01-2013, 04:53 PM
But does the roster? Bargs, Amare and Martin are absolute 4s, even in today's NBA where small lineups can get by. Metta isn't Ron Artest any more and after him who plays the 3? Shumpert? I don't think that would work great.

That's why I thought the Bargs trade was so weird. They talked about how Melo was gonna get more run at the 4 (absolute right move) and then bring in another one-dimensional 4.

You're looking at it negatively but there's a lot of flexibility with those players.

Kmart can play PF & C at times

Bargs can play PF & C

MWP can play PF and SF at times

Melo PF/SF

Shump SG/SF

JR SG/SF

Hardaway SG/SF

the league is moving further and further away from set positions... Knicks have a lot of guys that can space the floor, and Bargs is the guy that can bring opposing big men out... we haven't had anyone that can do that really, it should help alot.

I mean if you can get Bargs and in the process improve your 2015 cap space all for a late 1st its a no brainer.

Pacers gave up 2 1st rounder for a 33 year old backup PF that will be a FA after the year.

ManRam
08-01-2013, 07:18 PM
You're looking at it negatively but there's a lot of flexibility with those players.

Kmart can play PF & C at times

Bargs can play PF & C

MWP can play PF and SF at times

Melo PF/SF

Shump SG/SF

JR SG/SF

Hardaway SG/SF

the league is moving further and further away from set positions... Knicks have a lot of guys that can space the floor, and Bargs is the guy that can bring opposing big men out... we haven't had anyone that can do that really, it should help alot.

I mean if you can get Bargs and in the process improve your 2015 cap space all for a late 1st its a no brainer.

Pacers gave up 2 1st rounder for a 33 year old backup PF that will be a FA after the year.

There is flexibility, but a lot of that is fringe flexibility that probably won't work for big minutes for the duration of the season.

The Knicks have an abundance of options, it just looks (unfortunately) like the most obvious option for Melo is at the 3. We'll see though. The NBA is going to continue to see less positionally-rigid lineups. "True point guards", "true power forwards", "true centers" aren't musts any more. Teams aren't playing 5 "true" players at once as much, and it will continue to shift that way.

But Melo still looks most obviously pigeon-holed into the 3.

Edit: I typed that last paragraph before I read your third-to-last. So yeah, I do agree in that regard.

nycericanguy
08-01-2013, 07:35 PM
Melo at the 3 this years seems logical to me, if only because I can't imagine JR, Bargs AND Stat off the bench with Melo being the only scorer in the starting lineup... wouldn't make any sense.

I think MWP comes off the bench as a PF/SF and Bargs starts at the 4.

Ezio
08-01-2013, 07:48 PM
Should be Paul George here but noooooo he's a SG.

Dee_Edge
08-01-2013, 08:30 PM
Should be Paul George here but noooooo he's a SG.

Agreed

4. Melo (red arrow down)

Airevo76
08-01-2013, 09:09 PM
Get Thad off this list, he a PF...

Guppyfighter
08-01-2013, 09:37 PM
I think Melo is better than Paul George. Although, I believe it is very close.

rockets-fan
08-01-2013, 10:57 PM
James
Durant
Melo
Parsons
Igodala
Gay
Granger
Deng
Leonard
Pierce

RiceOnTheRun
08-01-2013, 11:13 PM

The fact that with any decent PG he's ever had, Melo's played better.

With an aging AI in Denver, he shoots 49% from the field. With a young Westbrook, no doubt he does just as good if not better.

I think Lebron is the clear #1
Followed by Durant and Melo as 1a and 1b.

IversonIsKrazy
08-01-2013, 11:16 PM
I would say that the #2 poll would be a lot closer, and have more arguments than this. If you were going to skip #2, may as well skip #3.

RiceOnTheRun
08-01-2013, 11:18 PM
Agreed

4. Melo (red arrow down)

Are you kidding me.

Melo 28.7 ppg 44.5% shooting

George 17.4 ppg 41.9% shooting

George is only even slightly better in other stats, but that doesn't make up for 11 ppg less and with (I never thought I'd say this about another player) less efficiency.

mrblisterdundee
08-01-2013, 11:49 PM
Kd is not better then Melo. I cant say Melo is better then KD either but they are about even. I preached to u people that without westbrook fg% would drop. He shot 42% vs grizz and got worse each game as the scouting report on him with out westbrook grew. Some people have alot to learn.

Kevin Durant is slightly better because he's slightly more versatile and better at defense than Carmelo Anthony, regardless of who he's playing with. I don't think many logical people are saying that Durant can score better than Anthony.

sunsfan88
08-02-2013, 12:30 AM
Durant is a better all around player than Melo.

JasonJohnHorn
08-02-2013, 12:48 AM
I think this season we could have just went straight to voting for number four.
1. LBJ
2. The Durantula
3. Melo

That is pretty obvious.

TrueFan420
08-02-2013, 01:51 AM

I would have loved to see the arguments for PG in the SF rankings where he belongs as well. Especially if this is based on what they did last year.

TrueFan420
08-02-2013, 01:52 AM
I think this season we could have just went straight to voting for number four.
1. LBJ
2. The Durantula
3. Melo

That is pretty obvious.
Scratch that start at 5 with PG at 4.

WadeKobe
08-02-2013, 07:37 AM
Kwhai Leonard.

29$JerZ
08-02-2013, 08:43 AM

I'd personally believe he should play the 3 but Woodson has it in his mind to run the PG/PG/SF/SF/C set.
The thought of Amar'e/Bargs both coming off the bench is terrifying. Even if Andrea shoots lights out and is healthy it still won't change how awful the defense up front would be. They are either banking on Amar'e returning healthy and efficient like that stretch he had last year or just being injured all year again.

Felton/Prigioni
Shumpert/Smith
Melo/Metta
Bargnani/Amar'e
Tyson/Martin

should be our starting rotation but who knows?

PC
08-02-2013, 08:59 AM
I'd personally believe he should play the 3 but Woodson has it in his mind to run the PG/PG/SF/SF/C set.
The thought of Amar'e/Bargs both coming off the bench is terrifying. Even if Andrea shoots lights out and is healthy it still won't change how awful the defense up front would be. They are either banking on Amar'e returning healthy and efficient like that stretch he had last year or just being injured all year again.

Felton/Prigioni
Shumpert/Smith
Melo/Metta
Bargnani/Amar'e
Tyson/Martin

should be our starting rotation but who knows?

I really can't see a scenario where Bargnani doesn't start.

We need more offense in our starting lineup and we know Amar'e won't work when both Melo and Chandler are on the court for spacing reasons. Bargnani can obviously stretch the floor and is one of our more potent offensive players. Plus, if Bargnani doesn't start, Amar'e and Bargnani coming off the bench at the same time would be an absolute disaster. Woody can't be that idiotic

BklynKnicks3
08-02-2013, 09:47 AM
that picture of LeBron in a knicks jersey just made me sick
I really can't see a scenario where Bargnani doesn't start.

We need more offense in our starting lineup and we know Amar'e won't work when both Melo and Chandler are on the court for spacing reasons. Bargnani can obviously stretch the floor and is one of our more potent offensive players. Plus, if Bargnani doesn't start, Amar'e and Bargnani coming off the bench at the same time would be an absolute disaster. Woody can't be that idiotic

BklynKnicks3
08-02-2013, 09:48 AM
You ever see what Melo does to Durant head to head. ITs abuse
Kevin Durant is slightly better because he's slightly more versatile and better at defense than Carmelo Anthony, regardless of who he's playing with. I don't think many logical people are saying that Durant can score better than Anthony.

mrblisterdundee
08-03-2013, 01:14 AM
You ever see what Melo does to Durant head to head. ITs abuse

You ever see that Durant performs better than Anthony in every category not directly related to scoring?

Da Knicks
08-03-2013, 02:40 AM
Melo should of being second.