PDA

View Full Version : Billups: I never wanted to play SG

sunsfan88
07-31-2013, 05:20 AM
Chauncey Billups was not disappointed in leaving the Los Angeles Clippers to sign with the Detroit Pistons this offseason, and he admits he did not like playing shooting guard next to Chris Paul.

"I definitely wasn't disappointed," Billups said. "I didn't want to be a two-guard anyway. I did it there because it's a way for me to get on the floor. You are playing behind the best point guard in the league in Chris.

"I never saw myself as a shooting guard. I never wanted to play it."

Billups averaged 8.4 points last season.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nba--chauncey-billups-has-point-to-prove-in-return-to-detroit-200340755.html

Seems as if he's almost happy to gtfo of LAC. He never really had the choice anyway, they picked him up off amnesty waivers and there was nothing he can do. Complaining and whining about it would have looked bad for his rep so he was just a professional and played through it I guess.

But with Detroit now signing Jennings, isn't Billups again gonna have to play SG? Or will he be content with being a backup for Brandon Jennings?

JNA17
07-31-2013, 05:30 AM
Ironic seeing how Billups will probably be playing shooting guard again. XD

Or he could backup point to Jennings. Either way, he won't be starting as a Point Guard on the Pistons.

MyDRoseLikeDeng
07-31-2013, 05:37 AM
I think Pistons going with Jennings/Billups at the one with Stuckey/Pope at the 2.. so I think Big Shot wont have to worry about this lol

True Sports Fan
07-31-2013, 05:54 AM
Seems as if he's almost happy to gtfo of LAC. He never really had the choice anyway, they picked him up off amnesty waivers and there was nothing he can do. Complaining and whining about it would have looked bad for his rep so he was just a professional and played through it I guess.

But with Detroit now signing Jennings, isn't Billups again gonna have to play SG? Or will he be content with being a backup for Brandon Jennings?

Even though he will be backing up Jennings, he'll be getting more then minutes then he would have playing behind CP3.

Gators123
07-31-2013, 07:05 AM
He will play backup PG. Billups made it clear in his press conference that he is a PG and Dumars said they won't play him as starting SG.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=Hdz0EbYFTaQ&t=178

TrueFan420
07-31-2013, 10:38 AM
Big shot will play pg on offense and sg on d. I think he will be cool with that.

IndyRealist
07-31-2013, 11:29 AM

Didn't he pick the clippers by threatening to retire if anyone else claimed him?

3RDASYSTEM
07-31-2013, 12:06 PM

im throwing a little curveball at your post

JENNINGS idolizes IVERSON so im sure he would be willing to try and take on that task but will fail since IVERSON was completely different animal

what PG wants to play SG?

only player outside of WEST who actually did both was IVERSON

now imagine playing SG in a small PG 155lb frame and giving up 7-8inches and having to shoot 30x a game for your team to have a 'punchers' chance and that's one hell of a competitor and player in IVERSON

he did it for 7yrs in PHI basically and after a half season BILLUPS did it to get 'playing' time, not to carry a team

and just imagine how BILLUPS would feel being younger doing it when he was more capable of doing it but still didn't want to or could handle that type of load

its the reason why I rank IVERSON so high, even JORDAN said IVERSON reminded him of himself his rookie yr, playing reckless aggressive abandoned and full speed allout no fear, yeah that JORDAN, a natural SG himself, 6'4'' freak of nature who was listed at 6'6''

its why I respected AMARE in PHX and others who have played out of position for betterment of the team and I respect BILLUPS for being honest about not being able to do something out of his element, play the SG

Clippersfan86
07-31-2013, 12:15 PM
Guy is constantly making excuses the last two years. Playing SG doesn't make you complete trash like you were this year..

kduce
07-31-2013, 12:29 PM
Guy is constantly making excuses the last two years. Playing SG doesn't make you complete trash like you were this year..

I agree that playing SG shouldn't have made him completely horrible. I know old age has a lot to do with his declining ability. But, Billups is at his best when he has the ball in his hands and is facilitating, he is a major reason that the Pistons were so great for that run.

RipCity32
07-31-2013, 12:41 PM
Billups strongest point is running a offense.He was a great floor general and I doubt that has changed much.Hes never been fast or athletic so his game shouldn't have diminished much at the Point.

Triple_Ocho
07-31-2013, 12:44 PM

Playing out of position hurts anyone... Truth is that billups is old and came off a major injury...

KingPosey
07-31-2013, 12:45 PM
im throwing a little curveball at your post

JENNINGS idolizes IVERSON so im sure he would be willing to try and take on that task but will fail since IVERSON was completely different animal

what PG wants to play SG?

only player outside of WEST who actually did both was IVERSON

now imagine playing SG in a small PG 155lb frame and giving up 7-8inches and having to shoot 30x a game for your team to have a 'punchers' chance and that's one hell of a competitor and player in IVERSON

he did it for 7yrs in PHI basically and after a half season BILLUPS did it to get 'playing' time, not to carry a team

and just imagine how BILLUPS would feel being younger doing it when he was more capable of doing it but still didn't want to or could handle that type of load

its the reason why I rank IVERSON so high, even JORDAN said IVERSON reminded him of himself his rookie yr, playing reckless aggressive abandoned and full speed allout no fear, yeah that JORDAN, a natural SG himself, 6'4'' freak of nature who was listed at 6'6''

its why I respected AMARE in PHX and others who have played out of position for betterment of the team and I respect BILLUPS for being honest about not being able to do something out of his element, play the SG
Lol...

Clippersfan86
07-31-2013, 12:48 PM
Playing out of position hurts anyone... Truth is that billups is old and came off a major injury...

Didn't stop him from having a nice year the year before at pure SG until his injury. Bottom line is he's done due to age and health and needs to stop blaming everybody else.

MrfadeawayJB
07-31-2013, 12:50 PM
I don't blame him, he's a pg. In lac they had two pgs better than him, so sg was the only way he gets mins

Chronz
07-31-2013, 02:05 PM

He DID complain and whine remember, except he did so in the hopes that no one would pick him up and he would have become a FA. CP3 convinced him to compete however.

Then he actually RESIGNED with the Clips for another shot at the chip. Now the Clips prolly dont want him back and he went wherever else he could.

He doesn't want to play SG, but its prolly his best position nowadays (like Kidd). Now that Jennings is in Detroit, isn't he back at the 2 anyways? I mean he can play some backup 1, I would actually start him before Jennings, not because Jennings doesn't deserve a shot but because his game wouldn't suffer as much from a 6th man role.

Chronz
07-31-2013, 02:07 PM
He will play backup PG. Billups made it clear in his press conference that he is a PG and Dumars said they won't play him as starting SG.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=Hdz0EbYFTaQ&t=178

But he will play some SG.....

Chronz
07-31-2013, 02:09 PM
It was one playoff series..... he had a very short year.

Chronz
07-31-2013, 02:15 PM
Billups strongest point is running a offense.He was a great floor general and I doubt that has changed much.Hes never been fast or athletic so his game shouldn't have diminished much at the Point.
Im confident that his game has diminished significantly, true he was never a speedster but he IS slowing down, especially defensively.

One thing Ive been alarmed about Billups as a lead G is that I havent noticed him enhancing the efficiency of bigmen. Its been mostly wing players who have thrived from his presence but that kind of analysis can be flimsy.

Still thats a minor complaint, he doesn't get in anyones way thats for sure.

Clippersfan86
07-31-2013, 03:02 PM
It was one playoff series..... he had a very short year.

Well he also came back during the season twice and outside of 2-3 great games going into the all star break he was so bad. I'm just shocked at how much he fell off from 2012 to 2013 but I guess considering he's like 35 with a blown Achilles I shouldn't be shocked.

JWorthy42
07-31-2013, 04:05 PM
Watching Billups in that Pistons jersey all over again is going to give me and other Lakers fans horrible flashbacks.

IversonIsKrazy
07-31-2013, 04:11 PM
Nonetheless I'm happy he's back in his Pistons uni. Hopefully he can mentor Jennings into becoming a true team player.

Chronz
07-31-2013, 04:55 PM
Well he also came back during the season twice and outside of 2-3 great games going into the all star break he was so bad. I'm just shocked at how much he fell off from 2012 to 2013 but I guess considering he's like 35 with a blown Achilles I shouldn't be shocked.
Im shocked that you think theres so much difference between the 2 versions. All I wanted to say was that he wasn't ****** like you portrayed. He was **** in the playoffs, thats it. His RS production was in line with a quality rotational player. His defense is the biggest deficit tho.

sunsfan88
07-31-2013, 07:41 PM
Didn't he pick the clippers by threatening to retire if anyone else claimed him?

No I think he threatened to retire if any team picks him up but then once LAC picked him up, he realized that retiring wouldn't have been a smart choice for him financially so he sucked it up and played for them. Plus them being a contender didn't hurt too.

Chronz
07-31-2013, 07:51 PM
No I think he threatened to retire if any team picks him up but then once LAC picked him up, he realized that retiring wouldn't have been a smart choice for him financially so he sucked it up and played for them. Plus them being a contender didn't hurt too.

Link to the bold? He said what he did to stay away from BS teams. Once he was on LAC, CP3 reached out to him and convinced him to stay.

Thats much more likely than him realizing something that would be self evident from the get-go. Particularly because we already know he resigned to stay in LA the year after.

Clippersfan86
07-31-2013, 07:57 PM
Im shocked that you think theres so much difference between the 2 versions. All I wanted to say was that he wasn't ****** like you portrayed. He was **** in the playoffs, thats it. His RS production was in line with a quality rotational player. His defense is the biggest deficit tho.

On paper, per minute and metric wise it wasn't a huge decline but just from watching all of the games he was far more inconsistent this year (prior to the playoffs). Two years ago even in his bad games I felt like he had an impact. This year he was a big fat ghost out there all but a handful of games.

Chronz
07-31-2013, 11:14 PM
On paper, per minute and metric wise it wasn't a huge decline but just from watching all of the games he was far more inconsistent this year (prior to the playoffs). Two years ago even in his bad games I felt like he had an impact. This year he was a big fat ghost out there all but a handful of games.
You already know where Im going with this, I disagree 100%. I saw all the same guys you saw and didn't come to that conclusion, the difference between us is the tangible evidence backs my opinion. You have a tendency to exaggerate everything, notice the "far more inconsistent" opinion. I do agree he was better despite the similar stats, but you go overboard when you call him a far different player or trash with us.

ewing
07-31-2013, 11:24 PM
He DID complain and whine remember, except he did so in the hopes that no one would pick him up and he would have become a FA. CP3 convinced him to compete however.

Then he actually RESIGNED with the Clips for another shot at the chip. Now the Clips prolly dont want him back and he went wherever else he could.

He doesn't want to play SG, but its prolly his best position nowadays (like Kidd). Now that Jennings is in Detroit, isn't he back at the 2 anyways? I mean he can play some backup 1, I would actually start him before Jennings, not because Jennings doesn't deserve a shot but because his game wouldn't suffer as much from a 6th man role.

Probably? He was more of a game manager when he could get up and down the court. I don't even know how employable he is at strictly the one

Cracka2HI!
07-31-2013, 11:53 PM
Link to the bold? He said what he did to stay away from BS teams. Once he was on LAC, CP3 reached out to him and convinced him to stay.

Thats much more likely than him realizing something that would be self evident from the get-go. Particularly because we already know he resigned to stay in LA the year after.

Billups was signed before the CP3 deal. I remember those days so well, a real high point in my life LOL! Billups said he would retire if any team claimed him. He wanted to be a FA. He said he was never a FA and wanted to control his fate for once. When we claimed him he was MIA for a couple days but then showed up with the "I'm in" press conference. I was actually STOKED for the Billups/Gordon/Butler/Blake/Kaman(LOL)/Mo/Aminu/DJ/Bledsoe team. 2 days later we traded for CP3! Possibly the greatest weak in franchise history!

Clippersfan86
08-01-2013, 12:02 AM
You already know where Im going with this, I disagree 100%. I saw all the same guys you saw and didn't come to that conclusion, the difference between us is the tangible evidence backs my opinion. You have a tendency to exaggerate everything, notice the "far more inconsistent" opinion. I do agree he was better despite the similar stats, but you go overboard when you call him a far different player or trash with us.

I do exaggerate often but Billups was a low impact player for us this year. He had a couple week stretch right before the all star break where he was pretty damn good but post all star break he was pretty damn awful, including the playoffs where he got exposed badly. I do have some tangible evidence as you say for this.

http://espn.go.com/nba/player/splits/_/id/63/chauncey-billups

Pre all star break: 11 ppg, 2.3 apg on 49 percent shooting from the field, 45 from deep. 7 games.

Post all star break: 7 ppg, 2.2 apg on 35.3 percent from the field, 31 percent from deep. 15 games.

Playoffs: 6.2 ppg, 2 rpg, 1 apg on 30.6 percent from the field, 35.3 percent from three. 6 games.

Combine the second half of season and playoffs and that's 21 of his 28 games and his numbers averaged out are ATROCIOUS. Not just okay but awful.

Definitely a far cry from the 15/4/3 he averaged in 2011 in the 19 games before he blew his Achilles.

Heediot
08-01-2013, 12:05 AM
What a crock of ****. Why re-sign after your contract is up if you didn't want to play SG? Oh wait no one else s gonna pay a 36 year old guy 3 mil. Either he's full of it, or people are taking his statements out of context. I'm sure SG wasn't his ideal spot, but he was willing to go with it because he was playing with Chris. Another troll *** thread like the other 75 percent of threads on psd. Something doesn'T up.

Clippersfan86
08-01-2013, 12:12 AM
It's worse Heediot. The team paid him like 4.1 million last year, not 3.

Chronz
08-01-2013, 02:23 PM
I do exaggerate often but Billups was a low impact player for us this year.
Thats natural considering he was coming back from injury and was unable to play the same minutes. I just dont think he was crap, just a guy thrust into action he wasn't ready for. Given the circumstances of his injury and individual production he still put up, it was pretty impressive . Again, I agree he was better Y.1, that should go without saying. Not sure how the rest of your post ties into what Ive been saying given that Ive been comparing the 2 versions. Playoff performance is irrelevant given the lack of comparable sample set but yes, he was brutally bad in the post season, but it was against the best defensive team in an injury recovering season.

Moving forward tho, you cant base what he is on what he did while playing hurt. This could very well be the end, or he could very well have a season superior to the one he had last year.

Chronz
08-01-2013, 02:26 PM
What a crock of ****. Why re-sign after your contract is up if you didn't want to play SG? Oh wait no one else s gonna pay a 36 year old guy 3 mil. Either he's full of it, or people are taking his statements out of context. I'm sure SG wasn't his ideal spot, but he was willing to go with it because he was playing with Chris. Another troll *** thread like the other 75 percent of threads on psd. Something doesn'T up.

Im guessing it was taken out of context. Either that or LA didn't want to bring him back and he had to come up with a reason (for prides sake) to leave, even if it makes no sense logically.

JayW_1023
08-02-2013, 03:48 AM
Jennings shoot be SG anyway...he plays like a two.