PDA

View Full Version : 6th Annual PSD Player Rankings #10 SG In The NBA? (Volume: VI)

Mile High Champ
07-31-2013, 01:23 AM
Hey guys, It is that time of year again! Once again we kick of the PSD NBA Off-Season Player Rankings. This is the 6th year I have done this on PSD and it always brings some great discussion and debate. Please keep things civil and discuss who you feel is most fitting and deserving of being voted in each poll.

A lot has changed since last season. Lebron James and the Miami Heat are back to back NBA champions after an exciting 7 game series win over the Spurs. Let start the discussion since lots has changed since the start of last season. Please TRY AND VOTE FOR THE BEST PLAYER AND DON'T BE A HOMER. I will leave the poll open for one day and than we can carry on to the next best player at that position. I will add more players after each round. I have also included the results of those last 5 years so everyone can see how much things have changed...Enjoy.

Due to some people complaining that the rule was not written for the PG poll; in order to be eligible for these rankings, players must of played in 10 or more games last season. Thank you.

REMEMBER this is based on who is the best player, not the player who has the potential to be the best

2013 Off-Season PSD SG Rankings
1) James Harden
2) Kobe Bryant
3) Dwyane Wade
4) Paul George
5) Manu Ginobili
6) JR Smith
7) Tony Allen
8) Joe Johnson
9) Klay Thompson
10) Vince Carter

2012 Off-Season PSD SG Rankings

1) Kobe Bryant
2) Dwyane Wade
3) Manu Ginobili
4) James Harden
5) Joe Johnson
6) Monta Ellis
7) Eric Gordon
8) Paul George
9) Kevin Martin
10) Ray Allen

2011 Off-Season PSD SG Rankings

1) Dwyane Wade
2) Kobe Bryant
3) Manu Ginobili
4) Joe Johnson
5) Monta Ellis
6) Kevin Martin
7) Ray Allen
8) Eric Gordon
9) Jason Terry
10) James Harden

2010 Off-Season SG Rankings

1) Kobe Bryant
2) Dwyane Wade
3) Brandon Roy
4) Joe Johnson
5) Manu Ginobili
6) Monta Ellis
7) Ray Allen
8) Stephen Jackson
9) O.J. Mayo
10) Jason Richardson

2009 Off-Season SG Rankings:

1) Kobe Bryant
2) Dwayne Wade
3) Brandon Roy
4) Joe Johnson
5) Vince Carter
6) Manu Ginobili
7) Ray Allen
8) Kevin Martin
9) Ben Gordon
10) Richard Hamilton

2008 Off-Season SG rankings:

1) Kobe Bryant
2) Dwayne Wade
3) Tracy McGrady
4) Allen Iverson
5) Manu Ginobili
5) Vince Carter
7) Joe Johnson
8) Ray Allen
9) Brandon Roy
10) Kevin Martin

Mile High Champ
07-31-2013, 01:25 AM
Due to an obvious spam account voting for Carter in the last poll, Thompson is declared the victor.

Mods please sticky

jimm120
07-31-2013, 01:35 AM
Was it really that obvious?

Damn, I thought Klay, Ellis, AND Carter deserved to be in the top 10.

Voted Ellis.

Klay is on his way up. Carter had a good year but you know he won't get there again most probably. Getting him into the top 10 was more of a nod to his great year.

Zefflin
07-31-2013, 01:54 AM
Hahah if Vince gets voted in at 10 instead of Monta that will show me how shittily bias psd is.

BoomBaby44
07-31-2013, 02:01 AM
Yeah VC should have retired like five years ago.

jimm120
07-31-2013, 02:12 AM
As I said, Vince derserved to go in the top 10 for this year only. He's been on the decline many years and it shows in the top 10, with him not being in it for like 2-3 years already.

But what he did this year does warrant him having a top 10 slot.

But I voted Monta Ellis. The guy was overrated before, but now is underrated. He is a top 10 for me.

SugeKnight
07-31-2013, 02:30 AM
Monta

dalton749
07-31-2013, 02:48 AM
Demar derozan> joe Johnson

tredigs
07-31-2013, 03:16 AM
Hahah if Vince gets voted in at 10 instead of Monta that will show me how shittily bias psd is.

Yeah, it's a big bias conspiracy against Monta! You got 'em.

tredigs
07-31-2013, 03:17 AM
What's the argument against Gordon Hayward?

sunsfan88
07-31-2013, 07:07 AM
What's the argument against Gordon Hayward?

I think of Gordon Hayward the same way as Jared Dudley type player. A glue player.

I like Hayward though. Love his energy and the guy always looks happy. Can he create his own shot though?

roshan3ai
07-31-2013, 12:14 PM
What the hell is this VC nonsense.

Chronz
07-31-2013, 01:49 PM
Monta is the superior talent, Vince had the better year. Monta will most likely be the better player moving forward, I expect him to vault into the Top7 at least this time next year. But for now, nothing would make me happier than seeing that wretched team killer go without praise. Voted Vince.

NYKnickFanatic
07-31-2013, 03:23 PM
Monta with ease.

The last two years he was voted in at #5 and #6. How could he just fall out of the top 10 like that? And Carter who hasn't even been in the top 10 since three years ago, is all of a sudden top 10 again.

tredigs
07-31-2013, 03:49 PM
If you hate winning, defense, and players who post PER's over 12 in the playoffs, definitely vote Monta.

IversonIsKrazy
07-31-2013, 04:10 PM
Why does VC get so much love lol. I put Jamal Crawford here, but this list is rly bad not gunna lie.

Zefflin
07-31-2013, 04:29 PM
What the hell is this VC nonsense.

Why does VC get so much love lol. I put Jamal Crawford here, but this list is rly bad not gunna lie.

Psd is fully of crappy posters who vote with unbounded unintelligence.

tredigs
07-31-2013, 05:04 PM
It's funny to me how clueless box-score hawks and highlight watchers are about Monta's overall impact on a team. There's a reason I was calling for him to be traded from our team the last 4 years.

Allphakenny1
07-31-2013, 05:17 PM
I just cannot believe that Vince Carter as a #1 option on a team right now can do any better than Ellis has done.

birdmann5
07-31-2013, 05:19 PM
Gordon Hayward has my vote. Next year he will be a lock in the top 10.

Theyhateme459
07-31-2013, 06:34 PM
I'm not understanding all the VC votes Ellis right now.

sunsfan88
07-31-2013, 07:36 PM
If you hate winning, defense, and players who post PER's over 12 in the playoffs, definitely vote Monta.

Yes because Vince Carter has been such a winner and a stout defender right? :rolleyes:

tredigs
07-31-2013, 07:41 PM
Yes because Vince Carter has been such a winner and a stout defender right? :rolleyes:

Over Monta?? Hhahaha, uh, yes.

And Monta = 19pts on 17.5 attempts a game. .493 TS. <2:1 assist/turnover. Zero defense... doesn't rebound...WS + Offensive rating in the trenches... team won 38 games... he was absolutely horrid in the playoffs. Que: "I CANNOT BELIEVE MONTA IS NOT HERE! HE SCOREZ A LOT!".

Kashmir13579
07-31-2013, 08:41 PM
It boggles my mind, each year, how unpopular Crawford is on this site. It must be a hangover from when he was on the Knicks.

Chacarron
07-31-2013, 09:27 PM
How is Monta winning this poll?

Guppyfighter
07-31-2013, 10:49 PM
It boggles my mind, each year, how unpopular Crawford is on this site. It must be a hangover from when he was on the Knicks.

I agree.

tredigs
07-31-2013, 11:01 PM

One of the worst defensive and rebounding 2 guards in the league and not much of a playmaker for others. He's a ridiculous dribbler and can go unconscious when he's hitting, but he's generally not too efficient and he's another who **** the bed in the playoffs this year. I don't miss him on Golden State.

Or yeah, "because he was a Knick".

Realistically there's about 9 SG's on fairly even levels at this slot. None stand out much over another.

Kashmir13579
07-31-2013, 11:22 PM
One of the worst defensive and rebounding 2 guards in the league and not much of a playmaker for others. He's a ridiculous dribbler and can go unconscious when he's hitting, but he's generally not too efficient and he's another who **** the bed in the playoffs this year. I don't miss him on Golden State.

Or yeah, "because he was a Knick".

Realistically there's about 9 SG's on fairly even levels at this slot. None stand out much over another.
lol i love how you think you can just sum-up a swiss army knife like Crawford. He has shown he can be efficient in recent years. He's also generally been one of the better passing 2s in the league, so not quite sure what you mean when you say he's not a playmaker.

I'm not talking specifically about this spot or even this years rankings. The guy just isn't a popular player on here, never has been.

And yeah, i'm sure i wouldn't miss him either if i had GSs backcourt, doesn't mean he's not a great player.

tredigs
07-31-2013, 11:32 PM
lol i love how you think you can just sum-up a swiss army knife like Crawford. He has shown he can be efficient in recent years. He's also generally been one of the better passing 2s in the league, so not quite sure what you mean when you say he's not a playmaker.

I'm not talking specifically about this spot or even this years rankings. The guy just isn't a popular player on here, never has been.

And yeah, i'm sure i wouldn't miss him either if i had GSs backcourt, doesn't mean he's not a great player.
Nothing too 'swiss army' about consistently being among the worst rebounding and defensive guards in the league.

A career .528 TS who clocked in at .558 this year (much of it against backup 1's and 2's) is meh. .077 career WS/48 is garbage, and the 15.4 PER for a volume shooter who doesn't play D is underwhelming. His assist/playmaking days pretty much died out when he left Chi as a kid and no longer played point (tho' he's still a major ballhandler any time he's on the court, he'd prefer to just create for himself). He's FUN as hell, but not a great player by any means, I think he's rated about right.

That said, I bet if we did a poll for "best 6th men" (do we?), he'd come up top 3 every year he's played the bench.

Chronz
07-31-2013, 11:36 PM
lol i love how you think you can just sum-up a swiss army knife like Crawford.
You're right about him being something of a swiss army knife (offensively that is), when with the starting unit he seamlessly fit in, upping his efficiency, and relieving CP3 of some of that offensive burden and with the bench squad, he ups his scoring and passing as necessary. Hes not quite the playmaker I remembered but 3.7Ast without CP3 and with Bledsoe getting 5+ himself, aint bad at all.

But tre is right when he says guys listed 5-20 dont have much separating them.

Chronz
07-31-2013, 11:43 PM
Nothing too 'swiss army' about consistently being among the worst rebounding and defensive guards in the league.
Refer to above for what he meant.

A career .528 TS who clocked in at .558 this year (much of it against backup 1's and 2's) is meh. .077 career WS/48 is garbage, and the 15.4 PER for a volume shooter who doesn't play D is underwhelming. His assist/playmaking days pretty much died out when he left Chi as a kid and no longer played point (tho' he's still a major ballhandler any time he's on the court, he'd prefer to just create for himself). He's FUN as hell, but not a great player by any means, I think he's rated about right.

That said, I bet if we did a poll for "best 6th men" (do we?), he'd come up top 3 every year he's played the bench.
This was something of a career year for him (he admitted this to being his first truly great offseason regimen). Being a great 6th man shouldn't be used as a negative the way you are here (FYI Vince a 6th man too), its a valuable skill to have, particularly when the player can mesh seamlessly with CP3 and co.

mrblisterdundee
08-01-2013, 12:00 AM
I voted Ray Allen. If you're giving an NBA lifetime achievement award, he deserves it more than Vince Carter. Add to that how he basically saved Miami's championship hopes on multiple occasions with some of the most clutch three-point shooting you've ever seen – and at age 37. He still managed nearly 15 points per 36 minutes and a respectable 14.4 PER in the playoffs as a reserve. Did I mention he was 37 years old while doing all that? And considering the shape he keeps himself in, I could see him coming back next season and doing the same exact thing.

Chronz
08-01-2013, 12:14 AM
****, we haven't voted ray on yet? Dont know why i missed him

Allphakenny1
08-01-2013, 02:33 AM
Because Ray Allen would only lead a team to 10th place in the Eastern Conference while Monta Ellis could lead a team to 8th place. Neither is saying all that much, but one is better than the other.

tredigs
08-01-2013, 02:42 AM
Because Ray Allen would only lead a team to 10th place in the Eastern Conference while Monta Ellis could lead a team to 8th place. Neither is saying all that much, but one is better than the other.

Where'd you come up with 10th place? Anyway, Larry Sanders' defense was that teams best player. And their crappy offense was a two headed beast with Jennings/Monta. But after his slow start, Ilyasova was their best offensive player.

Chronz
08-01-2013, 03:31 AM

Maybe, but is leading the team the only way to rank a guy? What about the ability to put a team over the top? Some people put more stock into a player who can turn a great team into the best team. Or a guy who at the least turns a good team into a great team. I dont feel Monta has played well enough to rank more highly.

mrblisterdundee
08-03-2013, 01:16 AM

But people here for some reason are voting Vince Carter. And he definitely wasn't as valuable last season as Ray Allen. And honestly; you don't know how Ray Allen would have done on the Bucks in place of Monta Ellis. I could see Allen putting up the same numbers as Klay Thompson as a starter.