PDA

View Full Version : Is Detroit good enough to go to the ECF?

VicTheWizard
07-30-2013, 07:10 PM
I know that many of you think of Jennings and Smith as cancerous team players because they shoot too much, and who knows if they are a good fit in Detroit, but just based on talent, and the hiring of Nate Mcmillan I also believe was a great move by them,I believe Detroit should be able to contend for the ECF next season, I think that they matchup favorably against the Knicks, Pacers, and Nets. I think they would want to avoid Chicago and Miami, but depending on their playoff matchups, I would give Detroit a decent chance of making it.

Bostonjorge
07-30-2013, 07:19 PM
Still think Cleveland is better. No way Detroit make's it that far. There a 1st rd sweep next year.

GiantsSwaGG
07-30-2013, 07:26 PM
Is this a joke?

rocket
07-30-2013, 07:30 PM
Hiring of Nate McMillan?

RipCity32
07-30-2013, 07:31 PM
Nate McMillan lol

Nycbball08
07-30-2013, 07:32 PM
Is this a joke?

I was gonna post the same thing...

tredigs
07-30-2013, 07:33 PM
Are they better than the Hawks have been in years past? No. Did the Hawks ever make the ECF? No. Since it's the east they'll make the playoffs, that's about it.

kingkenny01
07-30-2013, 07:36 PM
This team looks good but not better than brooklyn, miami, indiana, chicago, and new york, so I would say sixth seed next year

Gators123
07-30-2013, 07:38 PM
lol

6th seed.

Burkey3472
07-30-2013, 07:42 PM
They are a bottom tier team. Miami, Indiana, Chicago, Brooklyn, NY are all better. They are fighting with Cleveland, Atlanta, Washington, Toronto, and maybe Boston for those last couple of seeds.

dalton749
07-30-2013, 07:50 PM
Lol this team sounds awful. They will fight for a playoff spot

Twins Fanatic
07-30-2013, 07:51 PM
Still think Cleveland is better. No way Detroit make's it that far. There a 1st rd sweep next year.

I don't, Cleveland is good, but I think detriot has more experience and Cleveland has a bunch of question marks with Bynum and if Bennett will pan out. I still they both make the playoff battling for that 7th and 8th seed.

2-ONE-5
07-30-2013, 07:59 PM
in 2k sure

Ill21
07-30-2013, 07:59 PM
Cleveland and Detroit will fight for the 7th and 8th seed

VicTheWizard
07-30-2013, 08:06 PM
lol, my bad, I meant Mo Cheeks

RiceOnTheRun
07-30-2013, 08:07 PM
I wouldn't say ECF, but they could definitely make an upset in the first round.

I think Miami is in a tier of their own

Then the Pacers, Bulls, Nets and Knicks in the second tier.

Followed by Atlanta, Cleveland, Washington and Detroit.

I could see Detroit upsetting NY if they get matched up, taking advantage of NY's lack of big man depth. I don't think they get past the Pacers or Bulls though, they have elite big men and very elite defensive teams to back them up. Nets are a maybe, but that's honestly more depending on their health. As much as it sucks to say it, the Knicks are the most likely to be taken advantage of in terms of size, which is where Detroit clearly excels.

NY is still over Detroit, and I think they'd win a 7 game series, but out of all the upper tier Eastern teams, NY seems to be the one that matches up worst to Detroit.

Jamiecballer
07-30-2013, 08:14 PM
I know that many of you think of Jennings and Smith as cancerous team players because they shoot too much, and who knows if they are a good fit in Detroit, but just based on talent, and the hiring of Nate Mcmillan I also believe was a great move by them,I believe Detroit should be able to contend for the ECF next season, I think that they matchup favorably against the Knicks, Pacers, and Nets. I think they would want to avoid Chicago and Miami, but depending on their playoff matchups, I would give Detroit a decent chance of making it.

i thought they'd made real progress until they acquired Jennings. so no.

3Blueforyou
07-30-2013, 08:32 PM
lol

6th seed.

this, but the kind of sixth seed that will guarantee a win a 6 and shoot 29%.

Hawkeye15
07-30-2013, 08:34 PM
I am a closet Pistons fan, and have watched a lot of their games the last 3 years, but no way. They are going to make the playoffs for sure imo, unless injuries kill them. But they are not a threat to Miami/Bulls/Pacers/Nets

dalton749
07-30-2013, 08:38 PM
I don't even see them as a lock for playoffs
what kind of team are they?
they wont be great defensively or offensively

Hawkeye15
07-30-2013, 08:43 PM
I don't even see them as a lock for playoffs
what kind of team are they?
they wont be great defensively or offensively

They should be okay defensively, at least league average. They also have a monster front line if played correctly, though their guards and depth are sub-par.

b@llhog24
07-30-2013, 08:45 PM
Lmao. No. Not unless everybody in the east takes a vacation in the west.

RLundi
07-30-2013, 08:45 PM
Detroit isn't good enough to get higher than a 7th seed, so I'd say no.

WITZ
07-30-2013, 08:46 PM
:laugh: hope this isn't a serious thread.

lukass
07-30-2013, 09:35 PM
theres 3 teams i'd be worried to play in the playoffs MIA (esp if they land Oden) BRK, and CHI but I believe as the roster stands now (I expect more big upgrades) we can upset a team like Indy in a 6/3 matchup

b@llhog24
07-30-2013, 09:41 PM
theres 3 teams i'd be worried to play in the playoffs MIA (esp if they land Oden) BRK, and CHI but I believe as the roster stands now (I expect more big upgrades) we can upset a team like Indy in a 6/3 matchup

Indy would spank that ***. Detroit's biggest strength is it's front-court and Indy has a better front court.

bagwell368
07-30-2013, 09:43 PM
No. Not without a real strong PG and SF.

topdog
07-30-2013, 09:55 PM
Seems like a troll thread...

MonroeFAN
07-30-2013, 10:09 PM
yeah... hopefully they make some noise, I don't see the ECF though.

3RDASYSTEM
07-30-2013, 10:15 PM
lol, my bad, I meant Mo Cheeks

at first glance I thought you meant NATE as D assistant or so because CHEEKS had that hc position on lockdown

JWO35
07-30-2013, 10:19 PM
I love the Jennings signing...but IMO they would still be lucky to make it out of the 1st round. They are probably a 5th seed at best

mjt20mik
07-30-2013, 10:23 PM
Not ECF for sure. Will be interesting to see how they develop Dre with Smith and Monroe in the front.

lukass
07-30-2013, 10:23 PM
Indy would spank that ***. Detroit's biggest strength is it's front-court and Indy has a better front court.

DRUMMOND/HIBBERT
MONROE/WEST
SMITH/GEORGE
KCP/STEPENSON
JENNINGS/HILL

Seems like a possible upset to me

BoomBaby44
07-30-2013, 10:27 PM
Im surprised they allow people to post such garbage!

BoomBaby44
07-30-2013, 10:38 PM
I'm not sure what you have been smoking but whatever it is please ease off of it! It's distoring your perception of reality! Stephenson will start the beginning of the year until Granger gets his job back. Josh Smith proved he couldn't keep up with Paul George this playoff series. Hibbert would rape Drummond and West would dominate Monroe! The only advantage you have is at point guard and its not even that big of one. Your two big free agaent pick-ups have big personality and maturity flaws, and you think they could upset a complete team like the Pacers? The Pistons would go five games against Indiana end of story!

IKnowHoops
07-30-2013, 10:46 PM
................:up::down::laugh::no::confused::sp eechless::sigh::laugh2::faint::badidea::bs::puke:: punish::burn::facepalm:

Ezekial
07-30-2013, 10:46 PM
Why do they even have the ****ing playoffs then?

Just take the one seed from each conference at the end of the season and play the finals.

Lesser teams have never won against better teams :rolleyes:

SeoulBeatz
07-30-2013, 10:54 PM
Let's wait and see.

People rip on Jennings and Smith (and it's warranted a lot of the time)

but I like the way this team is currently constructed.

Jennings
KCP/ Billups
Smith
Monroe/ CV
Drummond

I think they need to pick up another backup big and if everything goes right they could end up in the ECF.

THE MTL
07-30-2013, 10:56 PM
ECF!?!?!?!?!?!?! They going to be fighting just for a playoff spot

IKnowHoops
07-30-2013, 11:01 PM
Originally Posted by lukass

LOL. This^

IKnowHoops
07-30-2013, 11:13 PM
Seems like a troll thread...

Definitely feels like it. I thought it was right away. Thought about posting that is sounded like one too, but I remembered I don't care because there are at least 2 trolls in every thread, this thread just has one of them starting it off. At the end of the day the usual suspects will have spoken, well get some informative/stupid/funny input, and we will all be entertained by it.

scissors
07-30-2013, 11:18 PM
least deceptive bait thread ever...of all time!

scissors
07-30-2013, 11:26 PM
Let's wait and see.

People rip on Jennings and Smith (and it's warranted a lot of the time)

but I like the way this team is currently constructed.

Jennings
KCP/ Billups
Smith
Monroe/ CV
Drummond

I think they need to pick up another backup big and if everything goes right they could end up in the ECF.

another back up big? their big rotation should just be 2 out of the 3 of Smith/Monroe/Drummond with never all 3 and never less than 2 of them at a time.

What they need is shooting and frickin boat loads of it. Defenses are just gonna pack it in so tight Tony Parker wouldn't be able to get to the rim.

If they use a lineup like you just showed they might miss the playoffs. "ECF" smh

TrueFan420
07-30-2013, 11:29 PM
Add poll. And no.

Mcdoh
07-31-2013, 12:05 AM
Nah.. heat bulls pacers nets and ny are the better teams..

JasonJohnHorn
07-31-2013, 12:49 AM
I have to say know. I think a team's success is EXTREMELY dependent on their primary ball handlers. Jennings is not the kind of guy that could lead a team to a deep playoff run. If guys don't learn his flaws from watching tape before the play him, they will, in a 7-game series, learn how to beat him. And he's not a great distributor. I hope he grows as a player and that perhaps his assists were low because he shared ball handling duties with Ellis, but realistically, I just don't see it happening.

I think the Pistons' starting front court is as good as any in the NBA, but I don't think that is enough. Look at all the teams to win since 1980. You have Nixon/Magic. Dennis Johnson/Bird. Mo Cheeks. Isiah Thomas. Jordan/Pippen. LBJ/Wade. Kidd. Billups. Parker. Those are some great distributors. Yes, the Lakers won without a great distributor, but they also had Shaq and Kobe. And then Kobe and Gasol. You can do, but you need two guys who are among the greatest ever at their position to do it and Detroit doesn't have that.

If Jennings can become a guy who gets 8-10 assists, then yes, I think they could pull it, but that is a BIG if.

Imma hafta say no.

Santana4Prez'08
07-31-2013, 01:25 AM
their bench is pretty bad too. the pistons are a very top heavy team right now and frankly, that does not seem to bode well for teams to have (i.e. the lakers of this year). they have a great front court presence in smith, monroe, and drummond but they're lacking the defensive stoppers i think they're gonna need to be an elite team. they're definitely a playoff team but not much higher than a lower seed team

Jarvo
07-31-2013, 01:50 AM
Better than the Cavs, I have them 6th now.

ModernDaySavage
07-31-2013, 02:07 AM
This is a clear troll thread. Detroit will barely make playoffs and just be a first round feed.

blastmasta26
07-31-2013, 02:23 AM
Why do they even have the ****ing playoffs then?

Just take the one seed from each conference at the end of the season and play the finals.

Lesser teams have never won against better teams :rolleyes:

No man. There are a couple teams that could make the ECF other than Miami, but Detroit is certainly not one of them. Detroit lacks talent, not a single All-Star player. Jennings and Josh Smith, their biggest additions? Chuckers. I like Monroe and Drummond, but their potential has not been reached yet.

PacersForLife
07-31-2013, 02:33 AM

Lol.

They look good on paper, but I don't think they made the moves to be some instant contender or upset MIA, NYK, IND, or CHI. They'll be a 6th or 7th seed at best imo.

JOhnnyTHaJet
07-31-2013, 02:38 AM
Jennings just isnt a great fit for that team in my opinion. He takes a ton of bad shots and isnt exactly the distributor I felt the Pistons needed more. Id say the move put them into playoff contention but IMO nothing more than a 7th seed.

At the moment I have:

1. Heat
2. Nets
3. Pacers
4. Bulls
5. Knicks
6. Cavs (I think they'll stay healthy)
7. Pistons
8. Hawks (Raptors could also take this spot, I think theyll JUST miss it)

as for the ECF thing....not a chance.

carlthack
07-31-2013, 02:59 AM
HEEEYYYYLLLL NOOO! Theyll have enough trouble making the playoffs.

B'sCeltsPatsSox
07-31-2013, 03:19 AM
I have them as one of the 5 teams that'll be fighting for one of the 3 final spots in the playoffs along with the Hawks, Cavs, Wizards, and Raptors. But yeah, I doubt they even make it past the first round once they get there.

RollingWave
07-31-2013, 05:55 AM
You'd never say never, but let's just say they would need some extreme luck to make it (for example, another Derick Rose blow out knee in game 1 type thing, and then match up against a team that totally sucks against them.)

I see them between 6-8 , probably 7 seed right now.

MonroeFAN
07-31-2013, 07:19 AM
We'll see guys. I don't really think any team in the ec outside of Miami and Indiana is significantly better right now. And Brooklyn.

Regardless, not an ECF team as is.

c.c.
07-31-2013, 08:29 AM
I think this team will silence the critics.

Rockice_8
07-31-2013, 08:44 AM
I don't even see them as a lock for the playoffs.

BKLYNpigeon
07-31-2013, 08:50 AM
Pistons will be fine. they have a solid front court with Drummond, Monroe and Smith.

tr3ymill3r
07-31-2013, 09:05 AM
No chance, that's what they got, no chance in hell, they've got, no chance, no chance in hell. However they will lead the league in stupidest shots. Get used to hearing this Piston fan, shot clock winding down, Jennings dribbles, dribbles some more, puts the ball between his legs, step back 22 footer, BRICK.

MonroeFAN
07-31-2013, 09:22 AM
oh sweet, a wrestling fan.

Mr.ATLHawks
07-31-2013, 10:05 AM
Im glad Jennings gets a change of scenary. I personally think the kid can be a stud with some options. Sure he is an ineffective 1st option but I think he is going to make one hell of a 3rd option. With Monroe/Smoove/Billups I think this kid could put up some great numbers this year. Joe Dumars mentors him a little and help him tighten his shot selection up. I can see Detroit being one of the Top 5 teams in the east. They probably have the best frontcourt in the East right now. We'll see how the rookie pans out (Cantavious-Pope). They are going to have 5 starters who average double digit points. Should be interesting..