PDA

View Full Version : Question about NBA rookies

SINCESTARBURY25
07-29-2013, 10:55 PM
Is it possible for a rookie coming into the league to by-pass the draft all together?
Say a player knows who they want to play for can they just out right sign with that team and not go through having to get picked up by a bad team? Ive always wondered this and wanted to make a thread for it but it hasn't been on my mind when I thought about it.

LAKobeBryant
07-29-2013, 11:21 PM
whats the point of the draft then.

RipCity32
07-29-2013, 11:26 PM
By crappy teams I assume you are talking about lottery teams.Which would then mean the rookie would be leaving behind millions for thousands.

dalton749
07-29-2013, 11:28 PM
No. There is nothing wiggins can do. If he refuses to sign he can't play pro or college ball anywhere for a year. The next year he is in the draft again with the same consequence if he doesn't sign. Finally the next year you are a free agent and can sign where you want

RipCity32
07-29-2013, 11:31 PM
No. There is nothing wiggins can do. If he refuses to sign he can't play pro or college ball anywhere for a year. The next year he is in the draft again with the same consequence if he doesn't sign. Finally the next year you are a free agent and can sign where you want

Oh I see now,This is about Wiggins lol.

RipCity32
07-29-2013, 11:33 PM
By crappy teams I assume you are talking about lottery teams.Which would then mean the rookie would be leaving behind millions for thousands.

My own post makes absolutely no sense to me now that I thought about it.

TaylorMays
07-29-2013, 11:46 PM
Technically, they could fake tearing their ACL midseason and convince other teams it's really torn and then come back and workout for teams and play like complete **** and tell the teams that you think their owner/gm is a douchebag. Of course, you tell the team you want to be on the truth. I think it could totally work

tredigs
07-30-2013, 01:49 AM
Technically, they could fake tearing their ACL midseason and convince other teams it's really torn and then come back and workout for teams and play like complete **** and tell the teams that you think their owner/gm is a douchebag. Of course, you tell the team you want to be on the truth. I think it could totally work
Riight, because your own team wouldn't do an MRI or anything.

JerseyPalahniuk
07-30-2013, 04:21 AM
Pretty sure the player could play overseas for a year contract then join. But he can't if he already got drafted, that team has his rights.

dalton749
07-30-2013, 04:37 AM
Pretty sure the player could play overseas for a year contract then join. But he can't if he already got drafted, that team has his rights.

I think they would still have to be drafted in. Brandon Jennings played in Europe I believe before he was drafted

JerseyPalahniuk
07-30-2013, 06:08 AM
I think they would still have to be drafted in. Brandon Jennings played in Europe I believe before he was drafted

That situation is different from this though. Jennings WANTED to get drafted, he joined a European team because league rules state that you have to be 19 and 1 year removed from high school (playing in college or overseas ) in order to join the draft.

In this case, the OP is suggesting that the player not join the draft and let fate decide what team he joins but rather pick the team on his own. Its a lot riskier for players to join the leage withoit getting drafted but if he really wanted to avoid landing in a bad situation, he could.

hornetsfansydne
07-30-2013, 07:00 AM
Here is an interesting question (or at least I think its interesting and it may be because I'm from Australia and have no idea how college ball works). But if Wiggins decided to bypass college wouldnt he be eligible to declare early for the draft as he isn't from the USA? Kinda like how Dante Exum is eligible for next years draft

hornetsfansydne
07-30-2013, 07:03 AM
And another question involving Exum. He graduates high school in November so could enter college in December, why is he then ineligible for the 2014 NBA draft but if he misses college altogether he can declare for the 2014 draft?

2-ONE-5
07-30-2013, 10:00 AM

how can you fake an ACL injury? lol

NYKnickFanatic
07-30-2013, 10:06 AM
how can you fake an ACL injury? lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QNPh0qOdeD8

Becks2307
07-30-2013, 10:23 AM
Here is an interesting question (or at least I think its interesting and it may be because I'm from Australia and have no idea how college ball works). But if Wiggins decided to bypass college wouldnt he be eligible to declare early for the draft as he isn't from the USA? Kinda like how Dante Exum is eligible for next years draft

Thats really interesting.

C_Mund
07-30-2013, 10:25 AM

There's a Canadian dude named Warren Ward that played 5 years of University ball up here since we have an extra year. He tried to enter the draft but since he'd surpassed his 4th year he was ineligible and was considered an undrafted FA. I think if you're a year removed from college you can declare as a FA OR for the draft, whichever you prefer, but you'll make way more money in the draft

2-ONE-5
07-30-2013, 10:49 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QNPh0qOdeD8

meaning how is going to fool a team and their docs?

2-ONE-5
07-30-2013, 10:50 AM
Thats really interesting.

doesnt Wiggins play HS ball in the US? pretty sure that would prevent him entering the draft. Also I dont know but I would imagine that since Canada has a team in the NBA their players arent considered intl and cant declare after HS

scissors
07-30-2013, 12:00 PM
The only way to do this would be to declare (or be eligible by default) for the draft and go undrafted. You would also have to not hire an agent.

Example:
Some player who was <NBA player as a Freshman declares for the draft and does not hire an agent. Goes undrafted, after his senior year he is a 17-25 range 1st round pick talent. He wouldn't get drafted though and rather could sign with any team. IN-FACT- after his college season ended he could join a contender for the remainder of the season as he has been eligible to join any team he wants since the day he went undrafted.

I'm pretty sure based on the rules that this is accurate. I know some player got drafted by the Knicks about 7-10 years ago (played for Kentucky?) but had not hired an agent. He played the next year of college ball then joined the Knicks in March.

scissors
07-30-2013, 12:21 PM

If he signed a contract overseas he would still have to get drafted the next year. Unless he went undrafted (which obv a lottery pick wouldn't)

SINCESTARBURY25
07-30-2013, 04:32 PM
So basically Andrew Wiggins will sign with the Knicks next year and skip the draft right???

abe_froman
07-30-2013, 04:45 PM
early? no,he has to be a year removed from hs,now he can do anything he wants in that year,he doesnt have to go to college.but the rule is that you must be a year removed.

And another question involving Exum. He graduates high school in November so could enter college in December, why is he then ineligible for the 2014 NBA draft but if he misses college altogether he can declare for the 2014 draft?
see my previous answer

and to op-nope,there is no way for wiggins to go to the knicks except getting the number 1 pick somehow