PDA

View Full Version : Will Dan Gilbert's letter in 2010 play a role in LeBron's possible return to the Cavs

sunsfan88
07-28-2013, 07:28 PM
For those who don't remember, here is the letter Dan Gilbert sent out for the fans after LeBron signed with Miami back in July of 2010.

Dear Cleveland, All Of Northeast Ohio and Cleveland Cavaliers Supporters Wherever You May Be Tonight;

As you now know, our former hero, who grew up in the very region that he deserted this evening, is no longer a Cleveland Cavalier.

This was announced with a several day, narcissistic, self-promotional build-up culminating with a national TV special of his "decision" unlike anything ever "witnessed" in the history of sports and probably the history of entertainment.

Clearly, this is bitterly disappointing to all of us.

The good news is that the ownership team and the rest of the hard-working, loyal, and driven staff over here at your hometown Cavaliers have not betrayed you nor NEVER will betray you.

There is so much more to tell you about the events of the recent past and our more than exciting future. Over the next several days and weeks, we will be communicating much of that to you.

You simply don't deserve this kind of cowardly betrayal.

You have given so much and deserve so much more.

In the meantime, I want to make one statement to you tonight:

"I PERSONALLY GUARANTEE THAT THE CLEVELAND CAVALIERS WILL WIN AN NBA CHAMPIONSHIP BEFORE THE SELF-TITLED FORMER 'KING' WINS ONE"

You can take it to the bank.

If you thought we were motivated before tonight to bring the hardware to Cleveland, I can tell you that this shameful display of selfishness and betrayal by one of our very own has shifted our "motivation" to previously unknown and previously never experienced levels.

Some people think they should go to heaven but NOT have to die to get there.

Sorry, but that's simply not how it works.

This shocking act of disloyalty from our home grown "chosen one" sends the exact opposite lesson of what we would want our children to learn. And "who" we would want them to grow-up to become.

But the good news is that this heartless and callous action can only serve as the antidote to the so-called "curse" on Cleveland, Ohio.

The self-declared former "King" will be taking the "curse" with him down south. And until he does "right" by Cleveland and Ohio, James (and the town where he plays) will unfortunately own this dreaded spell and bad karma.

Just watch.

Sleep well, Cleveland.

Tomorrow is a new and much brighter day....

I PROMISE you that our energy, focus, capital, knowledge and experience will be directed at one thing and one thing only:

DELIVERING YOU the championship you have long deserved and is long overdue....

Dan

Dan Gilbert remains the owner of the Cavs. Will LeBron remember this letter and will this letter be a factor for LeBron when deciding whether to stay in Miami or leave for Cleveland?

Now of course this was 3 years ago and the Cavs have a good young roster now with Kyrie Irving and everything but you have to wonder if it will be awkward for him to play for a guy who ripped him apart in such a letter.

JWorthy42
07-28-2013, 07:38 PM
Gilbert looks like the biggest tool. He is a tool.

I'd love to be a fly on the wall in the room where Gilbert is begging Lebron to come back. Although, I don't think watching one man give another man a blowjob is something I would like to see. :laugh:

MrfadeawayJB
07-28-2013, 07:47 PM
Yes, LeBron will remember this letter

smith&wesson
07-28-2013, 07:48 PM
no! kyrie irving & co will be the deciding factor. If lebron feels that is where he has the best chance at winning then he just might consider it.

I dont think lebron gives a **** about what any owner has to say ... he should be concerned with 1 thing and only 1 thing. WINNING cures all!

Dade County
07-28-2013, 07:49 PM
As you now know, our former hero, who grew up in the very region that he deserted this evening, is no longer a Cleveland Cavalier.

free agent...

This was announced with a several day, narcissistic, self-promotional build-up culminating with a national TV special of his "decision" unlike anything ever "witnessed" in the history of sports and probably the history of entertainment.

NBA = Entertainment... And what about ESPN involvement in it?

The good news is that the ownership team and the rest of the hard-working, loyal, and driven staff over here at your hometown Cavaliers have not betrayed you nor NEVER will betray you.

He was a free agent!!!

You simply don't deserve this kind of cowardly betrayal.

You have given so much and deserve so much more.

Free agent.

In the meantime, I want to make one statement to you tonight:

"I PERSONALLY GUARANTEE THAT THE CLEVELAND CAVALIERS WILL WIN AN NBA CHAMPIONSHIP BEFORE THE SELF-TITLED FORMER 'KING' WINS ONE"

You can take it to the bank.

:laugh:

If you thought we were motivated before tonight to bring the hardware to Cleveland, I can tell you that this shameful display of selfishness and betrayal by one of our very own has shifted our "motivation" to previously unknown and previously never experienced levels.

Once again... free agent :facepalm::horse:

Some people think they should go to heaven but NOT have to die to get there.

Crazy person :nod::crazy:

This shocking act of disloyalty from our home grown "chosen one" sends the exact opposite lesson of what we would want our children to learn. And "who" we would want them to grow-up to become.

Kids should not look to athletes as role models... And once again, free agent.

But the good news is that this heartless and callous action can only serve as the antidote to the so-called "curse" on Cleveland, Ohio.

free agent

The self-declared former "King" will be taking the "curse" with him down south. And until he does "right" by Cleveland and Ohio, James (and the town where he plays) will unfortunately own this dreaded spell and bad karma.

Witch craft... I hope you don't burn in hell man.

Just watch.

Sleep well, Cleveland.

Tomorrow is a new and much brighter day....

Yeah, because thousands of Lbj jerseys was burning all through the night...smh

I PROMISE you that our energy, focus, capital, knowledge and experience will be directed at one thing and one thing only:

DELIVERING YOU the championship you have long deserved and is long overdue....

Dan

No comment.

Hawkeye15
07-28-2013, 07:52 PM
LeBron is obviously far more of a man than Gilbert. His return to Cleveland would hinge on them having a team worth returning to.

Trueblue2
07-28-2013, 07:54 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WJhPLGMhRuQ

It'll go something like this

smith&wesson
07-28-2013, 07:56 PM
LeBron is obviously far more of a man than Gilbert. His return to Cleveland would hinge on them having a team worth returning to.

+1

Cal827
07-28-2013, 08:01 PM
Gilbert looks like the biggest tool. He is a tool.

I'd love to be a fly on the wall in the room where Gilbert is begging Lebron to come back. Although, I don't think watching one man give another man a blowjob is something I would like to see. :laugh:

:laugh: Seems likely to happen

sunsfan88
07-28-2013, 08:07 PM

Yea but would he wanna play for an owner who bashed him so much?

I agree that LeBron is more of a man that Gilbert will ever be.

If I'm LeBron, I would tell the Cavs fans that "Hey I would come back but your guys stupid arrogant psycho owner was so ignorant, I don't wanna play for y'all. Make Gilbert sell the team by revolting or somethin and ill come back ;)"

Bigbadmoffo
07-28-2013, 08:22 PM
Lebron would sell his soul for as many titles as he can get. He doesn't care about the letter he will go to whoever has the best chance of winning. If Miami keeps winning he will stay and if not he will leave unless they upgrade. Lbj is the best player in basketball but at the end of the day he will step on anyone or anything to get more titles.

Arch Stanton
07-28-2013, 10:10 PM
Yea but would he wanna play for an owner who bashed him so much?

I agree that LeBron is more of a man that Gilbert will ever be.

If I'm LeBron, I would tell the Cavs fans that "Hey I would come back but your guys stupid arrogant psycho owner was so ignorant, I don't wanna play for y'all. Make Gilbert sell the team by revolting or somethin and ill come back ;)"

Lol... Is this the WWE?

beasted86
07-28-2013, 11:02 PM
0% chance he goes back to Cleveland with Gilbert still owning the team. Bookmark this post.

D-Leethal
07-28-2013, 11:18 PM
I don't think LeBron would never some bitter comments sway his decision either way. Wouldn't be the first player to have a bad relationship with their owner. These are working relationships, you don't have to be friends. I doubt Gilbert will be the one recruiting and I doubt he will be doing any begging. The guy is a self made billionaire, those kind of people don't beg and I doubt he does much apologizing if he still feels spiteful - but I'm sure he would take LeBron on his team again and pay him plenty of millions to do so - he ain't stupid.

sunsfan88
07-28-2013, 11:39 PM
I don't think LeBron would never some bitter comments sway his decision either way. Wouldn't be the first player to have a bad relationship with their owner. These are working relationships, you don't have to be friends. I doubt Gilbert will be the one recruiting and I doubt he will be doing any begging. The guy is a self made billionaire, those kind of people don't beg and I doubt he does much apologizing if he still feels spiteful - but I'm sure he would take LeBron on his team again and pay him plenty of millions to do so - he ain't stupid.
Usually owners are part of the recruiting process for superstars. Leslie Alexander had a role in the recruiting done for Dwight, Buss had conversations with Dwight when trying to get him to stay in LA, Cuban was having involved in the recruiting process for Dwight, Prohorov had a role in the recruiting process for Deron, Mickey Arrison had a role in recruiting LBJ, Wade and Bosh and Cuban was heavily involved in the recruitment process for Deron as well.

So if Gilbert isn't involved in trying to recruit LeBron, then that would be a first.

Hawkeye15
07-28-2013, 11:44 PM
Lebron would sell his soul for as many titles as he can get. He doesn't care about the letter he will go to whoever has the best chance of winning. If Miami keeps winning he will stay and if not he will leave unless they upgrade. Lbj is the best player in basketball but at the end of the day he will step on anyone or anything to get more titles.

you mad

SINCESTARBURY25
07-28-2013, 11:54 PM
Lebron will retire with the nuggets book it

LeperMessiah
07-28-2013, 11:58 PM
I've thought about this, personally I Wouldn't.

Tony_Starks
07-29-2013, 12:12 AM
Playing with Kyrie could get him another ring and that's the big picture. I do believe he would make Gilbert publicly grovel though....

RiceOnTheRun
07-29-2013, 01:05 AM
Usually owners are part of the recruiting process for superstars. Leslie Alexander had a role in the recruiting done for Dwight, Buss had conversations with Dwight when trying to get him to stay in LA, Cuban was having involved in the recruiting process for Dwight, Prohorov had a role in the recruiting process for Deron, Mickey Arrison had a role in recruiting LBJ, Wade and Bosh and Cuban was heavily involved in the recruitment process for Deron as well.

So if Gilbert isn't involved in trying to recruit LeBron, then that would be a first.

Not to mention it'd look incredibly ****** on Gilbert's part. The guy who publicly trashed you wouldn't even have the balls to apologize and welcome you back? Yeah there's no way Lebron even considers Cleveland until Gilbert actually mans up and says something to him.

Kuya_Clive
07-29-2013, 01:11 AM
I wish someone videotaped Gilbert after MIA won their 'ships. It would have been great comedy.

ztilzer31
07-29-2013, 01:21 AM

I'd sell my soul for a championship parade in Seattle once.

lurkinglionsfan
07-29-2013, 01:47 AM
Might be in the minority but I don't think Gilbert should apologize he said his feelings at the time and felt like he got stabbed in the back ( along with the city of Cleveland) so if I was him screw that I wouldn't apologize I would welcome LeBron back ( if he wanted back but not at the cost of my dignity) and Miami fans just cause he was a f.a. doesn't mean ish

sunsfan88
07-29-2013, 02:33 AM

And that's precisely why he is the best player in the NBA. Only 2 other players in NBA history has had that hunger....Michael Jordan and Kobe Bryant.

ztilzer31
07-29-2013, 12:22 PM
Might be in the minority but I don't think Gilbert should apologize he said his feelings at the time and felt like he got stabbed in the back ( along with the city of Cleveland) so if I was him screw that I wouldn't apologize I would welcome LeBron back ( if he wanted back but not at the cost of my dignity) and Miami fans just cause he was a f.a. doesn't mean ish

It just proves how bad of an owner he is. Fans might not like Lebron, but players do, and what players are going to want to play for a guy who says that kind of stuff about a guy who gave a big part of his life to them....

LBJ apologized for "the decision" even though it wasn't his idea in the first place. Gilbert needs to apologize to his own fans, and Lebron for what he said. This is a business, and he took that personally.

waveycrockett
07-29-2013, 12:37 PM
Dan Gilbert would need to swallow his pride and issue an apology and admit he made a HUGE mistake with the letter before LeBron even considered Cleveland. Like it's been said no Superstar ever changed teams without huge recruiting from ownership level. Dan Gilbert will have to issue a lot of apologies and promises.

JoeBlessU
07-29-2013, 12:41 PM
you mad

THIS. Is the dumbest and most over used response to an argument. The guy made some valid points, Lebron will go wherever he has the best supporting cast. He has proven that. I dont think hes mad as much as stating the obvious truth. Are you mad that he's callin it like it is and you dont like that people consider Lebron disloyal or narcissistic?..

That being said, Gilbert probably should have been the bigger man and not released this letter. Made him look like a D-bag when Lebron had already done a GREAT job of making himself look like a arrogant tool.

Anyone who thinks lebron wont leave Miami is dellusional.

ztilzer31
07-29-2013, 12:51 PM
THIS. Is the dumbest and most over used response to an argument. The guy made some valid points, Lebron will go wherever he has the best supporting cast. He has proven that. I dont think hes mad as much as stating the obvious truth. Are you mad that he's callin it like it is and you dont like that people consider Lebron disloyal or narcissistic?..

That being said, Gilbert probably should have been the bigger man and not released this letter. Made him look like a D-bag when Lebron had already done a GREAT job of making himself look like a arrogant tool.

Anyone who thinks lebron wont leave Miami is dellusional.

It actually isn't a valid point at all. Reason's Lebron left Miami...

1. Cleveland had no direction or ability to attract prime free agents.
2. Pat Riley is a genius.
3. Dwyane Wade is one of his best friends.
4. Miami>Cleveland
5. No state income tax

You don't know LBJ. You don't know what he's thinking, and you sure as hell don't know what his free agent plans are. So speculating you have some insight to his psyche is stupid.

Riodagoat
07-29-2013, 12:52 PM
In all honesty, I've been pondering the idea that Lebron-to-Cleveland might not such be a far-fetched idea. But after reading this letter since the first time it came out, I'm just sitting here thinking, **** Dan Gilbert.

I hope Lebron never goes back to Cleveland.

ztilzer31
07-29-2013, 12:54 PM
In all honesty, I've been pondering the idea that Lebron-to-Cleveland might not such be a far-fetched idea. But after reading this letter since the first time it came out, I'm just sitting here thinking, **** Dan Gilbert.

I hope Lebron never goes back to Cleveland.

I was kind of in the same boat. I doubt Gilbert would even let him back. He just took that way too personal. You can't be saying **** like that as an owner.

TheIlladelph16
07-29-2013, 01:13 PM
I mean, it's certainly going to be a factor if he considers going back there. Their owner acted like a petulant child who had his toy taken away from him, and publicly smeared a guy who hadn't even said a negative word about the team or owner. Between Gilbert and the media, the letter became a pretty big spectacle, so I don't see how this wouldn't be a factor.

I'd probably laugh right in his face if I was Lebron if he asked him to come back. Then I would play him championship highlight videos as I walked out of the room.

waveycrockett
07-29-2013, 01:14 PM
I bet LeBron reads that letter whenever he needs motivation. Dan Gilbert is real scum for that. He had public opinion way in his favor until that point.

D-Leethal
07-29-2013, 01:16 PM

I understand all that but its different when the guy you are recruiting had already played for your franchise for 7 years and knows the organization in and out.

Slug3
07-29-2013, 01:20 PM
So there are people here who sees this and mike brown hiring and still expect Lebron to go back?

Federal Reserve
07-29-2013, 01:21 PM
Dan Gilbert is a terrible owner. I don't know why any sane NBA player would want to play for his team.

Raps08-09 Champ
07-29-2013, 01:22 PM
If I was Lebron, I'd try to make Gilbert my ***** if he actually tried to get me to return.

Byronicle
07-29-2013, 01:29 PM
No he's not going back.

Not many athletes make a 2nd tenure

Stinkyoutsider
07-29-2013, 01:43 PM
No chance Lebron comes back or even considers it for more than 2 seconds...

As far as we know, he may have a copy of this letter at home so he can use it as motivation to work as hard as he can. He's won 2 titles and may be in line for a 3rd in Miami.

Lebron has a long memory for these sorts of things. He seems like he goes out of his way sometimes to let people who've hated on him know that he remembers. And, if he holds a grudge against a few fans, just imagine what kind of grudge he holds against an owner who wrote this kind of letter about him?

And plus, if I was Lebron, I would now be in the midset that other players need to come here to play with me.

WITZ
07-29-2013, 01:49 PM

Agreed. Even Dwight who possibly went about his free agency in an even uglier way had the decency to tell the lakers face to face that he was leaving to the rockets even thought somebody leaked he was going to Houston before. Fault lies on both sides imo.

Riodagoat
07-29-2013, 01:54 PM
I mean, it's certainly going to be a factor if he considers going back there. Their owner acted like a petulant child who had his toy taken away from him, and publicly smeared a guy who hadn't even said a negative word about the team or owner. Between Gilbert and the media, the letter became a pretty big spectacle, so I don't see how this wouldn't be a factor.

I'd probably laugh right in his face if I was Lebron if he asked him to come back. Then I would play him championship highlight videos as I walked out of the room.

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Cal827
07-29-2013, 01:57 PM
Watch Lebron lead on Gilbert thinking he's going to sign in Cleveland, and do this again.

"So Lebron, what's your second decision?"

" Man this is tough, in the fall... I'm going to stay in South Beach and play for the Miami Heat.... You Mad Gilbert?"

Commence Angry Letter number 2 :D

JoeBlessU
07-29-2013, 02:00 PM
It actually isn't a valid point at all. Reason's Lebron left Miami...

1. Cleveland had no direction or ability to attract prime free agents.
2. Pat Riley is a genius.
3. Dwyane Wade is one of his best friends.
4. Miami>Cleveland
5. No state income tax

You don't know LBJ. You don't know what he's thinking, and you sure as hell don't know what his free agent plans are. So speculating you have some insight to his psyche is stupid.

Did you just say its stupid that I think I have insight into Lebrons decison making process after making a list of reasons why he left? lol..

Cleveland didnt have direction? They had Lebron James.. Thats a better direction than any other team in the league had going.

Pat Riley is a genius? Why because he knew a team composed of Lebron, Wade and Bosh would be the best team in the world? D'hookay

TheIlladelph16
07-29-2013, 02:05 PM
Did you just say its stupid that I think I have insight into Lebrons decison making process after making a list of reasons why he left? lol..

Cleveland didnt have direction? They had Lebron James.. Thats a better direction than any other team in the league had going.

Pat Riley is a genius? Why because he knew a team composed of Lebron, Wade and Bosh would be the best team in the world? D'hookay

I'm not going to bother with the rest of your ideas on this topic (I disagree about sums it up), but are you saying you don't think Pat Riley is a great front-office guy?

JoeBlessU
07-29-2013, 02:18 PM
I'm not going to bother with the rest of your ideas on this topic (I disagree about sums it up), but are you saying you don't think Pat Riley is a great front-office guy?

Never said that.. I just said I dont think getting Lebron and Bosh to sign their makes him a genius. If Pat Riley was running the cavs Lebron still would have left.

ClevelandSpider
07-29-2013, 02:30 PM
For those who don't remember, here is the letter Dan Gilbert sent out for the fans after LeBron signed with Miami back in July of 2010.

Dan Gilbert remains the owner of the Cavs. Will LeBron remember this letter and will this letter be a factor for LeBron when deciding whether to stay in Miami or leave for Cleveland?

Now of course this was 3 years ago and the Cavs have a good young roster now with Kyrie Irving and everything but you have to wonder if it will be awkward for him to play for a guy who ripped him apart in such a letter.

You sure are obsessed with the Cavs for some reason :confused: every other post of yours is about Cleveland...

sunsfan88
07-29-2013, 02:50 PM
You sure are obsessed with the Cavs for some reason :confused: every other post of yours is about Cleveland...

Seeing that this is thread partially about the Cavs.....Forgive me but I tend to stay on topic, which I know isn't the norm on PSD :D

sunsfan88
07-29-2013, 02:53 PM

It's not just about getting the Big 3, it's about what he put around the big 3 that matters.

Chalmers, decent PG who is a good defender. Birdman & Haslem, providing much needed rebounding and defense. Ray Allen, Battier and Miller, great shooters and Battier also contributed big time on defense.

Slug3
07-29-2013, 02:54 PM
Never said that.. I just said I dont think getting Lebron and Bosh to sign their makes him a genius. If Pat Riley was running the cavs Lebron still would have left.

If Riley was running the Cavs he would have made moves to keep Lebron happy. I mean there were all these other teams trying to get him and Riley nailed it.

WITZ
07-29-2013, 03:04 PM

Agreed, imo people give Riley to much credit for something Wade,Bosh , & James decided they were going to do in the Olympics all Riley had to do was clear cap space.

ztilzer31
07-29-2013, 03:18 PM

No I'm saying this is a generic list or reasons. We don't know he left "just to chase titels". He left because it was entirely a better situation. Just like Kareem did. Just like Shaq did. Just like plenty of people did. So to say he'll leave every team just to chase titles is just bitter.

Lol at your simpleminded nature thinking that all you needs is all stars for a ring. It takes a lot more than that BUDDY!

JoeBlessU
07-29-2013, 03:19 PM
If Riley was running the Cavs he would have made moves to keep Lebron happy. I mean there were all these other teams trying to get him and Riley nailed it.

All those other teams didnt have D wade under contract already. Plus Miami as a city appealed to Lebrons inflated ego. Pat Riley really didnt do anything expect clear cap space.

ztilzer31
07-29-2013, 03:20 PM
AND LOL AT SAYING THEY HAD A DIRECITON IN LEBRON JAMES.

You seriously think that the NBA is having one great player, and that's it. Sad. Just sad.

JoeBlessU
07-29-2013, 03:23 PM
No I'm saying this is a generic list or reasons. We don't know he left "just to chase titels". He left because it was entirely a better situation. Just like Kareem did. Just like Shaq did. Just like plenty of people did. So to say he'll leave every team just to chase titles is just bitter.

Lol at your simpleminded nature thinking that all you needs is all stars for a ring. It takes a lot more than that BUDDY!

Hahah really? It takes more than Superstars to win a title?.. Can u name ONE team that has won an NBA title without a superstar? Didnt think so.
If you watch basketball, you would realize its the one sport where a superstar changes everything, funny Miami went from a very mediocre team before lebron and bosh.. Once they signed two more all stars they are back to back champions haha. Coincidence? I think not.

I might have to sig u on that one, that was one of the dumbest things ive ever read, thanks for that good laugh.

JoeBlessU
07-29-2013, 03:25 PM
AND LOL AT SAYING THEY HAD A DIRECITON IN LEBRON JAMES.

You seriously think that the NBA is having one great player, and that's it. Sad. Just sad.

That is so weird. Cleveland went from having a 60+ win team with Lebron to the worst team in the NBA without him.. Please tell me again the NBA isnt about having a superstar? I laugh my *** off each time u do.

Trueblue2
07-29-2013, 03:29 PM
So there are people here who sees this and mike brown hiring and still expect Lebron to go back?

C'mon anything's possible... Like Melo going to LA to pay for D'Antoni again.

Trueblue2
07-29-2013, 03:36 PM
That is so weird. Cleveland went from having a 60+ win team with Lebron to the worst team in the NBA without him.. Please tell me again the NBA isnt about having a superstar? I laugh my *** off each time u do.

He's not saying it isn't about having a superstar, stop straw manning his argument. He's saying that putting the right pieces around a superstar is what will win you championships. A superstar, even two will get you 60+ win seasons. A superstar or two plus role players that complement their talents and mask their flaws is what wins championships

JoeBlessU
07-29-2013, 03:42 PM
He's not saying it isn't about having a superstar, stop straw manning his argument. He's saying that putting the right pieces around a superstar is what will win you championships. A superstar, even two will get you 60+ win seasons. A superstar or two plus role players that complement their talents and mask their flaws is what wins championships

You can have the best role players at each position and your team would have a tough time sniffing a playoff berth. Just sayin... NBA is a superstar driven league. If you dont have one, you have ZERO chance of winning a title.

SugeKnight
07-29-2013, 03:53 PM
Irving
Waiters
Lebron
Bennett/Thompson
Varejao

That team is stacked. Too bad Miami is so much nicer than Cleveland

TheIlladelph16
07-29-2013, 03:53 PM

Pretty much this. I have a difficult time believing that Riley could be as incompetent as the men in charge of the Cavs were.

You do understand how HUGE of a risk it was to "only cut salary" was right? Half a dozen other teams did the same thing, and they weren't able to lure the players they wanted in. Not only did he cut the necessary salary, he (along with DWade) convinced them to all take low enough deals so they could be surrounded by competent role players. I know there's the no state income tax factor etc., but they didn't have to do that and only did because they had faith that Riley would be able to build a championship team.

Big Zo
07-29-2013, 07:01 PM
All those other teams didnt have D wade under contract already. Plus Miami as a city appealed to Lebrons inflated ego. Pat Riley really didnt do anything expect clear cap space.

Wade was a free agent, too, so he wasn't under contract.

Arch Stanton
07-29-2013, 10:57 PM
This thread is funny. I love how most of the posters consider Gilbert this horrible owner and person based on an emotional letter. Something most fans would relate to if they were in his shoes. I'm not suggesting LeBron will return to Cleveland, but from what I hear from local media the letter is pretty non-factor.
I guess the bar is set... Lets talk about other teams that haven't performed well as of late. How about Minny? Was anyone alive the last time they made the playoffs? Must have a crappy owner then. How about the Suns? Their athletic trainers are top notch, unfortunately a gimmick Dantoni offense didn't get them to the promise land. Shame on that crappy owner.

ztilzer31
07-29-2013, 11:12 PM
Hahah really? It takes more than Superstars to win a title?.. Can u name ONE team that has won an NBA title without a superstar? Didnt think so.
If you watch basketball, you would realize its the one sport where a superstar changes everything, funny Miami went from a very mediocre team before lebron and bosh.. Once they signed two more all stars they are back to back champions haha. Coincidence? I think not.

I might have to sig u on that one, that was one of the dumbest things ive ever read, thanks for that good laugh.

1. Detroit Pistons
2. What True Blue said

Oh and they didn't exactly sign 2 superstars and then win a ring unless you were in a drug coma for all of the 2010-2011 season.

Yes you saw what happened to Miami. They didn't have enough role players and got **** stomped by a superior team because of their synergy. Miami needed to spread the floor. Signing Shane Battier and Ray Allen were 2 of the biggest moves they've mad in the last few years. Combine that with Birdman, Chalmers shooting better from 3, and Norris Cole developing.

ClevelandSpider
07-30-2013, 10:46 AM
Seeing that this is thread partially about the Cavs.....Forgive me but I tend to stay on topic, which I know isn't the norm on PSD :D

A thread about the Cavs which you started, I rest my case...:facepalm:

JoeBlessU
07-30-2013, 11:04 AM
1. Detroit Pistons
2. What Joe said

Oh and they didn't exactly sign 2 superstars and then win a ring unless you were in a drug coma for all of the 2010-2011 season.

Yes you saw what happened to Miami. They didn't have enough role players and got **** stomped by a superior team because of their synergy. Miami needed to spread the floor. Signing Shane Battier and Ray Allen were 2 of the biggest moves they've mad in the last few years. Combine that with Birdman, Chalmers shooting better from 3, and Norris Cole developing.

Oh my bad, they signed 2 superstars and instantly made 3 straight finals appearances, winning 2 of them. They also won a title w/o Ray Allen & Birdman so that point is not valid either. NBA is a superstar driven league, thats not even debatable. If you put lebron, d wade and bosh on the sixers this year, they are instant title contenders, and likely the favorites. Role players dont mean a lot, you need them to show up (Like Ray Allen, Birdman and battier did) but its a lot easier to play well when the attention is on lebron, wade and bosh. Those are the guys that got them there, not norris cole or mario chlamers lol. One could argue miami had solid role players before the big 3 showed up, how did they do?..See below

2012-13 Miami 66 - 16 .805 1st Southeast Division 16 - 7 .696 Won NBA Finals
2011-12 * Miami 46 - 20 .697 1st Southeast Division 16 - 7 .696 Won NBA Finals
2010-11 Miami 58 - 24 .707 1st Southeast Division 14 - 7 .667 Lost NBA Finals
2009-10 Miami 47 - 35 .573 3rd Southeast Division 1 - 4 .200 Lost East Conf 1st Rd
2008-09 Miami 43 - 39 .524 3rd Southeast Division 3 - 4 .429 Lost East Conf 1st Rd
2007-08 Miami 15 - 67 .183 5th Southeast Division - - DNQ

Well played on the Detroit Pistons. But if you look closer, you will notice there are only one or two exceptions in the history of the NBA. Every team listed below had a superstar or 2.

YEAR CHAMPION OPPONENT RESULT MVP
2010-11 Dallas Mavericks Miami Heat 4-2 Dirk Nowitzki, Dallas
2009-10 Los Angeles Lakers Boston Celtics 4-3 Kobe Bryant, Los Angeles
2008-09 Los Angeles Lakers Orlando Magic 4-1 Kobe Bryant, Los Angeles
2007-08 Boston Celtics Los Angeles Lakers 4-2 Paul Pierce, Boston
2006-07 San Antonio Spurs Cleveland Cavaliers 4-0 Tony Parker, San Antonio
2005-06 Miami Heat Dallas Mavericks 4-2 Dwyane Wade, Miami Heat
2004-05 San Antonio Spurs Detroit Pistons 4-3 Tim Duncan, San Antonio
2003-04 Detroit Pistons Los Angeles Lakers 4-1 Chauncey Billups, Detroit Pistons
2002-03 San Antonio Spurs New Jersey Nets 4-2 Tim Duncan, San Antonio
2001-02 Los Angeles Lakers New Jersey Nets 4-0 Shaquille O'Neal, Los Angeles
2000-01 Los Angeles Lakers Philadelphia 76ers 4-1 Shaquille O'Neal, Los Angeles
1999-00 Los Angeles Lakers Indiana Pacers 4-2 Shaquille O'Neal, Los Angeles
1998-99 San Antonio Spurs New York Knicks 4-1 Tim Duncan, San Antonio
1997-98 Chicago Bulls Utah Jazz 4-2 Michael Jordan, Chicago
1996-97 Chicago Bulls Utah Jazz 4-2 Michael Jordan, Chicago
1995-96 Chicago Bulls Seattle SuperSonics 4-2 Michael Jordan, Chicago
1994-95 Houston Rockets Orlando Magic 4-0 Hakeem Olajuwon, Houston
1993-94 Houston Rockets New York Knicks 4-3 Hakeem Olajuwon, Houston
1992-93 Chicago Bulls Phoenix Suns 4-2 Michael Jordan, Chicago
1991-92 Chicago Bulls Portland Trail Blazers 4-2 Michael Jordan, Chicago
1990-91 Chicago Bulls Los Angeles Lakers 4-1 Michael Jordan, Chicago
1989-90 Detroit Pistons Portland Trail Blazers 4-1 Isiah Thomas, Detroit
1988-89 Detroit Pistons Los Angeles Lakers 4-0 Joe Dumars, Detroit
1987-88 Los Angeles Lakers Detroit Pistons 4-3 James Worthy, Los Angeles
1986-87 Los Angeles Lakers Boston Celtics 4-2 Magic Johnson, Los Angeles
1985-86 Boston Celtics Houston Rockets 4-2 Larry Bird, Boston
1984-85 Los Angeles Lakers Boston Celtics 4-2 Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, Los Angeles
1983-84 Boston Celtics Los Angeles Lakers 4-3 Larry Bird, Boston
1982-83 Philadelphia 76ers Los Angeles Lakers 4-0 Moses Malone, Philadelphia
1981-82 Los Angeles Lakers Philadelphia 76ers 4-2 Magic Johnson, Los Angeles
1980-81 Boston Celtics Houston Rockets 4-2 Cedric Maxwell, Boston
1979-80 Los Angeles Lakers Philadelphia 76ers 4-2 Magic Johnson, Los Angeles

Sly Guy
07-30-2013, 11:20 AM
eitehr way, I don't see lebron going back to cleveland. More than that, why would he want to leave miami if he's still winning 'ships?

ztilzer31
07-30-2013, 01:03 PM
Oh my bad, they signed 2 superstars and instantly made 3 straight finals appearances, winning 2 of them. They also won a title w/o Ray Allen & Birdman so that point is not valid either. NBA is a superstar driven league, thats not even debatable. If you put lebron, d wade and bosh on the sixers this year, they are instant title contenders, and likely the favorites. Role players dont mean a lot, you need them to show up (Like Ray Allen, Birdman and battier did) but its a lot easier to play well when the attention is on lebron, wade and bosh. Those are the guys that got them there, not norris cole or mario chlamers lol. One could argue miami had solid role players before the big 3 showed up, how did they do?..See below

2012-13 Miami 66 - 16 .805 1st Southeast Division 16 - 7 .696 Won NBA Finals
2011-12 * Miami 46 - 20 .697 1st Southeast Division 16 - 7 .696 Won NBA Finals
2010-11 Miami 58 - 24 .707 1st Southeast Division 14 - 7 .667 Lost NBA Finals
2009-10 Miami 47 - 35 .573 3rd Southeast Division 1 - 4 .200 Lost East Conf 1st Rd
2008-09 Miami 43 - 39 .524 3rd Southeast Division 3 - 4 .429 Lost East Conf 1st Rd
2007-08 Miami 15 - 67 .183 5th Southeast Division - - DNQ

Well played on the Detroit Pistons. But if you look closer, you will notice there are only one or two exceptions in the history of the NBA. Every team listed below had a superstar or 2.

YEAR CHAMPION OPPONENT RESULT MVP
2010-11 Dallas Mavericks Miami Heat 4-2 Dirk Nowitzki, Dallas
2009-10 Los Angeles Lakers Boston Celtics 4-3 Kobe Bryant, Los Angeles
2008-09 Los Angeles Lakers Orlando Magic 4-1 Kobe Bryant, Los Angeles
2007-08 Boston Celtics Los Angeles Lakers 4-2 Paul Pierce, Boston
2006-07 San Antonio Spurs Cleveland Cavaliers 4-0 Tony Parker, San Antonio
2005-06 Miami Heat Dallas Mavericks 4-2 Dwyane Wade, Miami Heat
2004-05 San Antonio Spurs Detroit Pistons 4-3 Tim Duncan, San Antonio
2003-04 Detroit Pistons Los Angeles Lakers 4-1 Chauncey Billups, Detroit Pistons
2002-03 San Antonio Spurs New Jersey Nets 4-2 Tim Duncan, San Antonio
2001-02 Los Angeles Lakers New Jersey Nets 4-0 Shaquille O'Neal, Los Angeles
2000-01 Los Angeles Lakers Philadelphia 76ers 4-1 Shaquille O'Neal, Los Angeles
1999-00 Los Angeles Lakers Indiana Pacers 4-2 Shaquille O'Neal, Los Angeles
1998-99 San Antonio Spurs New York Knicks 4-1 Tim Duncan, San Antonio
1997-98 Chicago Bulls Utah Jazz 4-2 Michael Jordan, Chicago
1996-97 Chicago Bulls Utah Jazz 4-2 Michael Jordan, Chicago
1995-96 Chicago Bulls Seattle SuperSonics 4-2 Michael Jordan, Chicago
1994-95 Houston Rockets Orlando Magic 4-0 Hakeem Olajuwon, Houston
1993-94 Houston Rockets New York Knicks 4-3 Hakeem Olajuwon, Houston
1992-93 Chicago Bulls Phoenix Suns 4-2 Michael Jordan, Chicago
1991-92 Chicago Bulls Portland Trail Blazers 4-2 Michael Jordan, Chicago
1990-91 Chicago Bulls Los Angeles Lakers 4-1 Michael Jordan, Chicago
1989-90 Detroit Pistons Portland Trail Blazers 4-1 Isiah Thomas, Detroit
1988-89 Detroit Pistons Los Angeles Lakers 4-0 Joe Dumars, Detroit
1987-88 Los Angeles Lakers Detroit Pistons 4-3 James Worthy, Los Angeles
1986-87 Los Angeles Lakers Boston Celtics 4-2 Magic Johnson, Los Angeles
1985-86 Boston Celtics Houston Rockets 4-2 Larry Bird, Boston
1984-85 Los Angeles Lakers Boston Celtics 4-2 Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, Los Angeles
1983-84 Boston Celtics Los Angeles Lakers 4-3 Larry Bird, Boston
1982-83 Philadelphia 76ers Los Angeles Lakers 4-0 Moses Malone, Philadelphia
1981-82 Los Angeles Lakers Philadelphia 76ers 4-2 Magic Johnson, Los Angeles
1980-81 Boston Celtics Houston Rockets 4-2 Cedric Maxwell, Boston
1979-80 Los Angeles Lakers Philadelphia 76ers 4-2 Magic Johnson, Los Angeles

Just about every single one of those teams you listed had terrific depth. The Lakers/Boston/Detroit/Chicago/San Antonio. All teams with amazing depth.

They weren't one men wrecking crews. Even Shaq, and Kobe had key role players that made key differences in big spots..

Look at the 96 finals vs the Sonics. The Sonics actually do an amazing job slowing down Pippen, and Jordan, but it was the other guys that really made the difference in that series. Sonics had one of the best perimeter defenses, and it was through teamwork, and smart maneuvering that the Bulls won... Everyone pretends like Jordan carried them throughout that series when in reality it was Chicago's depth that beat us. They had so many people that could score.

Great players don't win multiple rings. Great teams do. Period. End of story.

JoeBlessU
07-30-2013, 01:48 PM
Just about every single one of those teams you listed had terrific depth. The Lakers/Boston/Detroit/Chicago/San Antonio. All teams with amazing depth.

They weren't one men wrecking crews. Even Shaq, and Kobe had key role players that made key differences in big spots..

Look at the 96 finals vs the Sonics. The Sonics actually do an amazing job slowing down Pippen, and Jordan, but it was the other guys that really made the difference in that series. Sonics had one of the best perimeter defenses, and it was through teamwork, and smart maneuvering that the Bulls won... Everyone pretends like Jordan carried them throughout that series when in reality it was Chicago's depth that beat us. They had so many people that could score.

Great players don't win multiple rings. Great teams do. Period. End of story.

Superstars win rings in the NBA.. Plain and simple. Guys like Lebron create excellent situations for role players to succeed. Mostly becuase all the attention is on them. You used Birdman as an example, which actually proves my point. Birdman shot ~80% in the NBA finals, r u going to sit there and tell me that wasnt a direct result of the opportunities lebron and d wade gave him? Dont get me wrong, u need role players to step up, but the only way you get to the finals is by having a superstar or 2.
If you made this argument for ANY other sport other than the NBA, I would agree 100%. But this is the NBA we are talking about, the sport with far and away the least parity of any major pro sports league.

ztilzer31
07-30-2013, 01:58 PM
Superstars win rings in the NBA.. Plain and simple. Guys like Lebron create excellent situations for role players to succeed. Mostly becuase all the attention is on them. You used Birdman as an example, which actually proves my point. Birdman shot ~80% in the NBA finals, r u going to sit there and tell me that wasnt a direct result of the opportunities lebron and d wade gave him? Dont get me wrong, u need role players to step up, but the only way you get to the finals is by having a superstar or 2.
If you made this argument for ANY other sport other than the NBA, I would agree 100%. But this is the NBA we are talking about, the sport with far and away the least parity of any major pro sports league.

Just gonna have to disagree. Name one team without a consistent set of quality role players that won multiple championships. Superstars are nice, but without cohesiveness teams are useless.

Just like last year with the Lakers. They had no teamwork whatsoever, but 4 hall of famers on their team. A lesson Baby Bus didn't exactly learn from his dad in 04 apparently...

It's got to work together. Period. I'll take any team over 5 great players that never played together any day of the week.

LOOTERX9
07-30-2013, 02:22 PM
well cleveland is an awful city to live in so I think that letter will have no effect on lebron not returning. It's the crappy city of "leave"land itself that will be the reason lebron does not return

Arch Stanton
07-30-2013, 03:03 PM
well cleveland is an awful city to live in so I think that letter will have no effect on lebron not returning. It's the crappy city of "leave"land itself that will be the reason lebron does not return

Clever nickname. Did you sit up all night thinking about that one? Thanks for trolling!

sunsfan88
07-30-2013, 04:10 PM
A thread about the Cavs which you started, I rest my case...:facepalm:

Hmm....this is the first thread about the Cavs that I have ever started....

Aust
07-30-2013, 04:20 PM
I don't see Lebron ever playing for Gilbert again.

ClevelandSpider
07-30-2013, 04:50 PM
Hmm....this is the first thread about the Cavs that I have ever started....

You are constantly invading threads about the Cavs or bringing them up out of nowhere in random threads and now apparently starting threads about them, seems like an obsession to me, I get it though, you're still salty the Lakers made the playoffs and we got to swap picks giving you guys essentially a 2nd round pick and us moving up 11 spots, I get that you're still mad, I just hope you can move on, hopefully sometime soon...

sunsfan88
07-30-2013, 05:19 PM
You are constantly invading threads about the Cavs or bringing them up out of nowhere in random threads and now apparently starting threads about them, seems like an obsession to me, I get it though, you're still salty the Lakers made the playoffs and we got to swap picks giving you guys essentially a 2nd round pick and us moving up 11 spots, I get that you're still mad, I just hope you can move on, hopefully sometime soon...
What? Show me one other thread in which I started hating on the Cavs. I have no problem with the Cavs....I hate their FO when they had LeBron but they seem to have make a lot of good decisions since then.

And I'm not mad at all that the Cavs got the LAL pick. Because LAL made playoffs, the Suns ended up getting Goodwin who has looked real good so far. I don't think Karasev will be any better than him really.

sunsfan88
02-19-2014, 04:48 PM
Dan Gilbert Doesn't Regret Letter About LeBron In Free Agency, Admits He Would Reword Language

Dan Gilbert recently discussed "The Letter," which he sent out to Cleveland Cavaliers fans and the public following the 2010 free agency decision of LeBron James to sign with the Miami Heat.

"I would’ve reworded the language in The Letter, but I don’t regret sending a letter out to our fan base," Gilbert said. "People forget the letter was not to LeBron, it was to our fan base. If I had to do it again, for sure, I would’ve reworded several parts of it. But I think it definitely needed a strong statement from me at that time. I keep a couple binders on my desk and I have a binder of the responses to The Letter from the people of Cleveland.

"There’s thousands, maybe 2,000 from every facet of life, from CEOs of big companies to hand-written letters from 94-year-old ladies, from street sweepers to policemen and firemen. The response went way beyond. For some reason, it appealed to this generational Cleveland thing. If you want to talk about books, someone should publish all the responses to The Letter. It was like, ‘We’re from Cleveland and we’ve been rejected.’"

Gilbert added he did not expect the national audience's negative reaction to the letter but does not believe it impacts how people view the Cavaliers.

http://www.ohio.com/sports/cavs/cavaliers-owner-dan-gilbert-talks-about-ups-and-downs-and-what-s-ahead-1.466849?localLinksEnabled=false&utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=twitterfeed

Cal827
02-19-2014, 07:26 PM
What? Show me one other thread in which I started hating on the Cavs. I have no problem with the Cavs....I hate their FO when they had LeBron but they seem to have make a lot of good decisions since then.

And I'm not mad at all that the Cavs got the LAL pick. Because LAL made playoffs, the Suns ended up getting Goodwin who has looked real good so far. I don't think Karasev will be any better than him really.

:laugh:

NoahH
02-19-2014, 07:40 PM
I've been saying this for months and I'll say it again...

I am willing to put MONEY on LeBron NEVER going back to Cleveland. Not with this locker room / coaching staff / front office as it is. The Cavs locker room and front office is an absolute ******** and I'm sure LeBron knows that and will not want to subject himself to that kind of environment. When Kyrie was a rookie it sounded like a good idea. LeBron can go back and win a ring for his hometown, but with the talent in Cleveland now he won't win a ring in Cleveland. Waiters - Under-performer, Thompson - Under-performer, Bennett - Remains to be seen for sure, but definitely a bust, Varejao - more injury prone than Greg Oden!

Will the letter effect the return? I doubt it. But all the other factors going on will.

NBA_Starter
02-19-2014, 11:09 PM
I don't think it matters that much, I don't think he was going anyway.

Arch Stanton
02-20-2014, 12:32 AM
I love these threads. I think fans in other cities are more obsessed with LeBron potentially returning to Cleveland than Cavs fans who aren't holding their breath. The OP is clearly trolling.