PDA

View Full Version : Who is going to have the best starting back court in the league next year?

JasonJohnHorn
07-28-2013, 12:01 PM
Here are some potential options:

GSW: Curry/Thompson
BK: D-Will/JJ
MIN: Rubio/Martin
LAL: Nash/Kobe
WAS: Wall/Beal
NOP: Holiday/Gordon
HOU: Harden/Lin

Sorry all... there were a couple of teams I ought to have included. Chicago (I just wasn't that high on Butler to be honest and he was listed as a SF by BBR) LAC (not that high on Reddick) and OKC (not that high on Thabo-great defender though). Butler and Thabo were both averaging single digits and Redick has only started 54 games in 7 years... so...

Who do you think is the best starting front court in the league?

Allphakenny1
07-28-2013, 12:26 PM
You mean Curry/Thompson for the Warriors.

LongIslandIcedZ
07-28-2013, 12:54 PM
Curry/Thompson

No other standouts in my opinion.

Guppyfighter
07-28-2013, 12:55 PM
The one with Chris Paul.

Gators123
07-28-2013, 12:58 PM
Rose/Butler if Rose comes back healthy.

DR_1
07-28-2013, 01:00 PM
Rose/Butler

naps
07-28-2013, 01:19 PM

GSW: Ellis/Thompson
DEN: Lawson/Ellis

Who??

Krizzle88
07-28-2013, 01:25 PM
No love for Rose/Butler?

LoveMeOrHateMe
07-28-2013, 01:51 PM
If Kobe and Nash can both get healthy then them easily after is probably Curry/Thompson

Hawkeye15
07-28-2013, 01:52 PM
GS if Curry's ankles can hold up

5ass
07-28-2013, 02:21 PM
Cp3/Redick

Clippersfan86
07-28-2013, 02:42 PM
Cp3/Redick

Yea surprised this was conveniently left off the list.

*Silver&Black*
07-28-2013, 03:06 PM
Didn't Ellis go to the Mavs?

Bostonjorge
07-28-2013, 03:12 PM
Kobe and Nash 2 league MVP's

Monta is beast
07-28-2013, 03:25 PM
Nash and Kobe shouldn't even be considered. Curry and Thompson without a doubt.

Ill21
07-28-2013, 03:26 PM
Curry and Thompson

surprised Rose and Butler was not an option

RenegadeRiot36
07-28-2013, 03:30 PM
What about Irving/Waiters? They led the league in backcourt scoring for a large portion of last year

Monta is beast
07-28-2013, 03:34 PM
No defense...at all

lol, please
07-28-2013, 03:35 PM
GSW and it's not close. Curry/Thompson, the Splash Brothers. 'Nuff said.

http://ballislife.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/BlogSplashBrospreview.jpg

http://thenolookpass.com/2013/SuperSplashBros.jpg

https://i.minus.com/jFv0LEDsQ218o.jpg

Monta is beast
07-28-2013, 03:37 PM
People severely underrate Thompson for some reason. He's barely going into his third year, yet he's already proved himself as an elite defender. While putting up 16 a night.

5ass
07-28-2013, 03:50 PM

GSW: Curry/Thompson
DEN: Lawson/Ellis

Ellis is with the Mavs

BIG worm
07-28-2013, 04:00 PM
By the end of the year it will be Rose/Butler. Book it.

lol, please
07-28-2013, 04:03 PM

It will still be Curry/Thompson. Book that.

RipCity32
07-28-2013, 04:05 PM
Curry/Thompson

smiddy012
07-28-2013, 04:08 PM
Yeah Rose/Butler is better than most of those duos no doubt.

It will still be Curry/Thompson. Book that.

I think it's Curry/Thompson now, but Rose/Butler by end of season (if healthy).

Both pairs have tons of potential, but the Bull's guards have much more athleticism, defense, rebounding, and therefore a higher ceiling I would argue.

tredigs
07-28-2013, 04:10 PM
Redick should be a pretty nice fit with Cp3, and being that Paul is still the best, I can't say "Curry + Thompson and it's not close" like some. Though if Curry continues his December on play and Klay can work to improve his offensive bbiq with solid D, then it is them for sure.

Some interesting choices though considering 3 of the top 5 PG's aren't on the list.

5ass
07-28-2013, 04:12 PM
People severely underrate Thompson for some reason. He's barely going into his third year, yet he's already proved himself as an elite defender. While putting up 16 a night.

Far from it.

IgglesFanInCO
07-28-2013, 04:22 PM

I love Klay, and I agree he gets underrated, but if you think hes anywhere close to an elite defender you are severely mistaken

Monta is beast
07-28-2013, 04:24 PM
How?

5ass
07-28-2013, 04:24 PM
Rose/Butler? No, not when both of them are bad 3 pt shooters.

smith&wesson
07-28-2013, 04:36 PM
dam I didnt realize how weak the back courts have gotten in the league.

JerseyPalahniuk
07-28-2013, 04:58 PM
Rose/Butler will be by the end of the season
Rose has been extensively working on his shot..obviously won't be near Curry but the defense that lineup brings will make up for it.

True Sports Fan
07-28-2013, 05:05 PM
If Harden/Lin and Rose/Butler get considered then Westy/Thabo should as well. But I'll go with Curry/Thompson

JerseyPalahniuk
07-28-2013, 05:10 PM
If Harden/Lin and Rose/Butler get considered then Westy/Thabo should as well. But I'll go with Curry/Thompson

yeah but Butler >> Thabo, especially on the offensive end. The Bulls have upgraded their three point shooting significantly this off-season so he's inability to drain a consistent three won't be that much of a liability. I'm sure he's been working on that shot though after improving significantly last off-season (Thibs words not mine).

tredigs
07-28-2013, 05:14 PM
Pretty ridiculous though, the consensus so far on PSD (in the limited voting) was that the Warriors have both the best starting backcourt (landslide voting wise) and the best starting frontcourt (marginally). What a difference 2 years makes. Now hopefully they stay healthy and put it together.

Agree with those saying that Rose + Butler could be the best, also. That's a big wait 'n see, though.

Jets012
07-28-2013, 05:23 PM
Ugh, Thompson is quickly becoming one of the most overrated players in the league.

He actually regressed last year, but now he gets soo much attention. Great shooter, but he isn't efficient and was a mediocre defender at best last year. His advanced stats were quite poor to be honest.

You left off some good ones in OKC/MEM. Not saying they are the choice here, but Conley/Allen is probably the strongest defensive back-court in the league and Thabo is probably one of the most underrated players in the game. Hell, I'd take OKC's back-court over GS at the moment

lol, please
07-28-2013, 05:35 PM
If by overrated you mean underrated, then I agree.

mrblisterdundee
07-28-2013, 06:17 PM
Golden State maybe depends too much on shooting, but Stephen Curry and Klay Thompson are both very good at it. That's going to be one seriously clutch back court, and that's not even including Harrison Barnes.

Hawkeye15
07-28-2013, 06:48 PM
Yea surprised this was conveniently left off the list.

to be fair, the Clips SG position is butt reaming average (this coming from someone who wanted Redick so badly next to Rubio), but the mere fact Paul is your PG should force the pairing to be in the voting.

Hawkeye15
07-28-2013, 06:49 PM
Ugh, Thompson is quickly becoming one of the most overrated players in the league.

He actually regressed last year, but now he gets soo much attention. Great shooter, but he isn't efficient and was a mediocre defender at best last year. His advanced stats were quite poor to be honest.

You left off some good ones in OKC/MEM. Not saying they are the choice here, but Conley/Allen is probably the strongest defensive back-court in the league and Thabo is probably one of the most underrated players in the game. Hell, I'd take OKC's back-court over GS at the moment

Take away your OKC point, and I agree 10000000% with everything you said.

Hawkeye15
07-28-2013, 06:51 PM
Pretty ridiculous though, the consensus so far on PSD (in the limited voting) was that the Warriors have both the best starting backcourt (landslide voting wise) and the best starting frontcourt (marginally). What a difference 2 years makes. Now hopefully they stay healthy and put it together.

Agree with those saying that Rose + Butler could be the best, also. That's a big wait 'n see, though.

I don't think they have the best frontcourt, because I don't trust Bogut to stay healthy, and I am not high on Lee like some others.

The Warriors have a nice team though. I just don't think they contend.

Jets012
07-28-2013, 06:59 PM
Take away your OKC point, and I agree 10000000% with everything you said.

Yea, I felt like I stretched a bit on that one. I just am a huge Westbrook fan (think he has a legit argument as a top 8 player overall) and I'm a pretty big Thabo fan too.

I just don't understand the Thompson hype. Last year, when I admit I was a lot higher on him than this year, no one even knew his name. He goes out and regresses as a player, and now everyone thinks he is a stud.

Don't get me wrong, I think if he gets more efficient and puts more effort defensively, he could be a top 5 shooting guard, but I would struggle to put him in my top 15 right now to be honest, and that isn't saying much considering how weak the position is right now.

Hawkeye15
07-28-2013, 07:02 PM
Yea, I felt like I stretched a bit on that one. I just am a huge Westbrook fan (think he has a legit argument as a top 8 player overall) and I'm a pretty big Thabo fan too.

I for sure think Westbrook has a case as a top 8 player, I just don't think Thabo is that good outside his defense, which I personally feel is overrated.

I just don't understand the Thompson hype. Last year, when I admit I was a lot higher on him than this year, no one even knew his name. He goes out and regresses as a player, and now everyone thinks he is a stud.

Agreed. And part of my vote was the GS bench, and then I forgot they lost Jack. So I would change my vote to Memphis.

Don't get me wrong, I think if he gets more efficient and puts more effort defensively, he could be a top 5 shooting guard, but I would struggle to put him in my top 15 right now to be honest, and that isn't saying much considering how weak the position is right now.

+1

detzfish
07-28-2013, 07:07 PM
Why is Rubio and Martin even an option.

Hawkeye15
07-28-2013, 07:21 PM
Why is Rubio and Martin even an option.

as a Wolves fan, I even agree, unless they show something. I am very high on Rubio entering this year, I think with shooting weapons around him, and his elite defense, he could very well contend for league leader in both assists and steals. Martin, back in Adelman's offense, as a starter, should also return to an elite efficiency scorer, but they need to show it first.

Ezio
07-28-2013, 07:41 PM
Rose/Butler? No, not when both of them are bad 3 pt shooters.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/b/butleji01/splits/2013/

Yeah no. Jimmy post ASG shot .475 from 3.

5ass
07-28-2013, 08:08 PM

On how many attempts per 36? I'll admit i'm surprised by his 3pt percentage, but we'll see if he can keep it up next year shooting with double the attempts. He seems to excel the corner 3 a lot more.
He shot less than 30% the first 5 months of the season.

IndyRealist
07-28-2013, 09:04 PM

Post ASG Roy Hibbert shot .500 from 3.

tredigs
07-28-2013, 09:18 PM
I don't think they have the best frontcourt, because I don't trust Bogut to stay healthy, and I am not high on Lee like some others.

The Warriors have a nice team though. I just don't think they contend.

Yeah, fair enough. The thing is that Bogut - other than the freak broken foot and elbow fractures - has actually been a fairly healthy player. IE no back or ligament damage, which is what really kills bigs. And being that both him and Curry are actually starting the season healthy for a change, I'm more bullish on their health than I was last year. And Lee is an underrated offensive presence, but absolutely depends on Bogut being there to shore up his defensive deficiencies.

If healthy, I actually do think they contend (something I've never said), but it's an if.

Bostonjorge
07-28-2013, 09:19 PM
If kobe and Nash are healthy and play 90% of the season then they give u the most production.

Monta is beast
07-28-2013, 09:23 PM
I think Memphis and Indiana have better front courts than the Warriors, I really don't see a team with a better back court. Allot of people have the Warriors going deep into the playoffs but not contending. All I'm gonna say to that is Jackson gets more than expected out of his team. So if we're projected to go deep into the playoffs, I see us as a contender. Three things you need to contend. You need a superstar, defense, and good coaching. We got all three plus depth.

Monta is beast
07-28-2013, 09:25 PM
If kobe and Nash are healthy and play 90% of the season then they give u the most production.

No they don't. Nash is a solid backup at this point. Lakers are a terrible team next year, deal with it.

SugeKnight
07-28-2013, 09:33 PM
Warriors backcourt will be curry and iggy, with Barnes at the 3. Their backcourt will be the best in the NBA by a good margin

NBA-GMaster
07-28-2013, 09:44 PM
DEN: Lawson/Ellis?? :confused:

JasonJohnHorn
07-28-2013, 09:50 PM
Didn't Ellis go to the Mavs?

My bad... totally forgot... he was in talks with Denver and I thought he signed there, but then I remember that fell through.

TrueFan420
07-28-2013, 09:56 PM
Warriors backcourt will be curry and iggy, with Barnes at the 3. Their backcourt will be the best in the NBA by a good margin

Dude give up Klay will most likely start with Barnes off the bench

TrueFan420
07-28-2013, 09:58 PM
Yeah, fair enough. The thing is that Bogut - other than the freak broken foot and elbow fractures - has actually been a fairly healthy player. IE no back or ligament damage, which is what really kills bigs. And being that both him and Curry are actually starting the season healthy for a change, I'm more bullish on their health than I was last year. And Lee is an underrated offensive presence, but absolutely depends on Bogut being there to shore up his defensive deficiencies.

If healthy, I actually do think they contend (something I've never said), but it's an if.
I agree with everything you said. Would like to add tho that iggy will also play a large role in hiding his defensive deficiencies.

SugeKnight
07-28-2013, 10:05 PM
Dude give up Klay will most likely start with Barnes off the bench
I bet u by the end of the season Barnes will be starting

SilkWilk
07-28-2013, 10:07 PM
Curry and Thompson for sure. Love how they play.

TrueFan420
07-28-2013, 10:12 PM
I bet u by the end of the season Barnes will be starting

Barring injury I seriously doubt it.

steveweve
07-29-2013, 12:19 AM
Curry and Thompson. All I have to say is lol @ the guy saying Thompson is one of the most overrated players in the NBA. smh

SugeKnight
07-29-2013, 12:22 AM
Barring injury I seriously doubt it.

Iggy is a 2. Thompson is a 2. Barnes is a 3. Iggy>Thompson. The FO has said they value size, which played a big factor in choosing Klay over Monta. Either way, I view dre as a backcourt player

TrueFan420
07-29-2013, 12:29 AM
Iggy is a 2. Thompson is a 2. Barnes is a 3. Iggy>Thompson. The FO has said they value size, which played a big factor in choosing Klay over Monta. Either way, I view dre as a backcourt player

Iggy is both a 2 and a 3. Klay is a 2 and Barnes is a 3. Klay is a better fit for the starting line up than Barnes. And Barnes a better fit for the bench. And no offense but it doesn't matter how you or I view dre it matters how they do. You bring up size but Klay has the length to mark 2 or 3 so him starting wont cause us to be small if we put iggy on their 2. We won't find out till the start of the season so only time will tell but I think the vast majority of people see klay as the starter.

FYL_McVeezy
07-29-2013, 12:35 AM
My vote is for the splash bros...but Wall/Beal might turn a few heads as well.....

MrfadeawayJB
07-29-2013, 01:03 AM
GS but WAS is a dark horse candidate. I also like the young backcourt of Irving-waiters

lol, please
07-29-2013, 01:04 AM
Curry and Thompson. All I have to say is lol @ the guy saying Thompson is one of the most overrated players in the NBA. smh
Tell 'em steveweve! :clap:

Iggy is a 2. Thompson is a 2. Barnes is a 3. Iggy>Thompson. The FO has said they value size, which played a big factor in choosing Klay over Monta. Either way, I view dre as a backcourt playerI agree, but at the same time, I don't see Barnes starting or Klay sitting.

My vote is for the splash bros...but Wall/Beal might turn a few heads as well.....
Agreed.

RollingWave
07-29-2013, 03:33 AM
Last season's combined winshare of players in question

Houston: 18.2
BRK: 16.0
GSW: 15.5
LAL: 15.2
MIN:10.0
WAS: 7.5
NOP: 4.4

tony james
07-29-2013, 03:35 AM
your mother

TrueFan420
07-29-2013, 03:53 AM

Good stat to bring up but doesn't take into account the growth (in young ) or decline (in old) of the players or the changes to the roster.

RollingWave
07-29-2013, 04:44 AM
of course, but it is at least a starting point to give folks a relatively more objective perspective. also noting, that Paul + Reddick is probably the best combo as they already combined for 18.4 last season with Reddick not being a full time starter. they're the best combo of overall talent and actually being at peak age.

Between GSW and HOU, I guess i'll say GSW because of something that hasn't been brought up, the fact that they'll probably be less guard oriented next season due to Dwight Howard. Jeremy Lin's role especially, need to adjust once again (well i'm sure he's really use to being thrown into weird roles on a moments notice now, and hell at least this time he has some notice time.). I have no idea how that's going to look, but I'm pretty sure if he stays on the floor with Harden a lot still (which I doubt, I think they'll play way less together next season. with Lin becoming more of a 6th man type even if he still nominally starts games.) he'll probably be less effective in total raw numbers simply because he'll get the ball less.

Of course, there is the chance that Lin being on the floor less with Harden means he gets to run the offense a bit more often overall, and if his efficiency improvement in the last quarter of the season holds up (playoff disaster non-withstanding.) that might be good... but it's just not the two of them at the same time.

dalton749
07-29-2013, 05:00 AM

Just curious what were Lowry/ derozans? At the beginning of last year they were among the best back courts before injuries derailed Lowrys season.
They will contribute at least as much as some of those lineups next year

RollingWave
07-29-2013, 05:07 AM
As for why people say Thompson's overrated, it's because..
1. he really never draws any fouls. which kinda hurt his overall scoring, for example, he takes 2.5 more shots than Lin per 36 but only score 1.8 more, despite Lin not being a great 3 shooter, the foul is a big part of that.

2. his assist to turn over ratio is very poor, most guys who assist as little as he does never turns it over (because they just catch and shoot). he's a liability with the ball if he can't launch it immediately.

3. the on /off stats and his defensive secondary numbers don't back up the notion that he's a good defender either. and very few players are good defender at age 22 anyway.

I think he's a fine young player that'll get better, but that doesn't mean he's already there, there's plenty of holes in his game as well and people are basing things a bit too much on late season selective context . also, it helps a lot that Thompson's game can more easily fit with another ball dominant guard.

RollingWave
07-29-2013, 05:12 AM
Just curious what were Lowry/ derozans? At the beginning of last year they were among the best back courts before injuries derailed Lowrys season.
They will contribute at least as much as some of those lineups next year

http://www.basketball-reference.com/

Lowry + Derozan was 10.3 , if we assume Lowry at that rate expand to 3000 mins like Derozan than that's about 13 win share, so that's actually right up there.

Lowry's always been a fringe star rate wise, the problem is he's never really put it together for a full year and have always gotten into conflict with coaches, for his and the Raptor's sake let's hope that changes this year. looking at it this way , I suppose if we have the best outcome of Lowry and Gay can find his 3 pointer again now with glasses (ok, eye surgery.), Toronto might be a surprise contender for the east playoff now that they no longer have to play Bargiani.

smiddy012
07-29-2013, 05:33 AM
Last season Butler had 7 WS. Season before that, last time Rose was healthy, he had 13.1. So their total WS = 20.1.

Seriously Rose has to stay healthy this next season......

ombada
07-29-2013, 05:34 AM
I'm gonna go with cleveland... Irving and waiters have a better supporting cast this year, especially if bynum can stay healthy and take some of the attention off the back court.

I know I'm homerizing here, but George hill/granger or hill/George should be on the poll along with numerous other duos. that's a consistent offensive and defensive backcourt no matter which combo it is. hill had 14 PPG, 4 RPG, 5 APG and 1 SPG. very balanced.

as to WS Hill had 9.7 and Granger (in 2012) had 6.7 on a much worse team overall. for reference, if he starts at SG Paul George had 9.

dalton749
07-29-2013, 05:38 AM
Yeah I think people are sleeping on them big time. They had the 3rd best starting lineup last year after the gay trade and played 500 ball, but had no bench

The bench they had was a bunch of scores who couldn't score and really didn't fit any role. Lucas Anderson kleiza etc replaced with hansborogh augustin and Novak who all bring something to the table. Plus losing bargnani and Calderon is a big addition by subtract because they can now get back to playing defence.

The new front office also won't settle for anything mediocre and will blow the team up by the deadline if they are looking like a 7-11 team so they will be playing every game like its the playoffs

WadeKobe
07-29-2013, 06:30 AM
CP3 by himself will be worth as many wins as most entire backcourts in the league. Add in a dead-eye shooter? This one is easy.

The Los Angeles Clippers.

RollingWave
07-29-2013, 07:03 AM
Yeah, good point on Rose, if he's back to being himself with any sort of competent guard beside him that should instantly be a big player.

yes, the Clippers are most likely to be the overall best due to their guards being at peak age though.

As for the Raptors, I wonder what the hell happened to Landry Fields, in theory he should be the kind of bench wing you'd like, a off ball guy who can do a bit of everything, in practice everything he use to do well has fallen apart and everything he didn't do well still sucks badly at.

I'm not sure about Calderon since I feel you can hide PG defense more easily and his offense game is super well rounded and consistent, but yeah, they're probably going to get better just by not playing Bargs, I mean Jonas is at best an average defensive C, probably a bit below average still, that means he's probably an upgrade of epic proportions .

My main concern with them remains that Gay / Derozan both use the ball a lot, while Lowry is not an off ball PG either. which presents some issue offensively, but Jonas space the floor nicely and Amir Johnson is actually sneaky good. if they figure out the Gay / Derozan thing even a little bit they should at least be in the 8th seed hunt.

dalton749
07-29-2013, 08:11 AM
Fields had a nerve problem in his elbow which caused his hand to do some wired ****, he had surgery on it mid season and its still healing. But I don't think he cares to get better he just wants to bang his wife lol

And if gay and derozans improve their threes then it can work

Jacoballen22
07-29-2013, 08:24 AM
I think leaving Rose and Butler off was a big mistake. It's also already been confirmed that Jimmy Butler is starting at the 2 this year.

KingstonHawke
07-29-2013, 08:54 AM
I vote Curry and Iggy. Thompson is great. But he should come off the bench. Their best lineup is Curry, Iggy, Barnes, Lee, Bogut.

I wonder if the Blazers would give up LA for Lee and Thompson.

Hawkeye15
07-29-2013, 09:27 AM

The Warriors mirror my Wolves. Even when they have talent, the basketball gods take a **** on them. Is what it is...

jerellh528
07-29-2013, 11:21 AM
Curry thompson. I hate when people put Houston up for best backcourt, am I the only one around here that doesn't think Lin is top pg material???

Hawkeye15
07-29-2013, 11:35 AM
Curry thompson. I hate when people put Houston up for best backcourt, am I the only one around here that doesn't think Lin is top pg material???

you are not alone. Lin is average as it gets, and that might be giving him too much credit.

Craptors84
07-29-2013, 11:49 AM
Out West, I think Warriors(whether its Klay or Iggy) is sick with their weapons and recent success.
Pelicans with a finally healthy, motivated Gordon and a more efficient Jrue, can be deadly on both ends.
In the East, Wizards and maybe Cavs also have an all star potential back court.

These 4 teams(GSW, NOP, WAS, CLE) have the most exciting up n coming starting back courts, right now IMO.
Bulls, Blazers, Wolves, are others to look out for.

lol, please
07-29-2013, 07:32 PM

I don't think anyone except his closest friends, and family members think he is top PG material.

rockets-fan
07-29-2013, 07:47 PM
Warriors and its not even close imo

AIRMAR72
07-29-2013, 07:55 PM
If Kobe and Nash can both get healthy then them easily after is probably Curry/Thompsonkobe is FINISH but curry and thompson are my pick

Trueblue2
07-29-2013, 09:13 PM
This is totally a homer pick, but kobe/nash. Yes i know nash is old and kobe is hurt. But age hasnt slowed nash down, it was injury that got to him last year. He lead the league in assists the year before, and hes just as good a shooter as he is a passer. And kobe is kobe, i dont doubt hell come back strong from injury, might never be 100% again, but ill take 80% of kobe any day of for my back court.

Kobes injury might cause him to defer to nash more often and nash is still nash. I dont think its fair to consider him washed up after one injury riddled season all things considered last year. They respect each other enough to put aside ego and they have something to prove. Again, totally a homer pick, but those two playung together can be something special.

Curry/thompson were the best last year and probably the only right answer if youre being objective. But prediction wise, i cant go against my team when were fielding a back court w/2 hall of famers.

RollingWave
07-29-2013, 09:27 PM
Fields had a nerve problem in his elbow which caused his hand to do some wired ****, he had surgery on it mid season and its still healing. But I don't think he cares to get better he just wants to bang his wife lol

And if gay and derozans improve their threes then it can work

It's a systems that'll never really be peak potential as both Gay and Derozan plays in a style that kinda take everyone else out of the game, but the Raptors are just looking to scratch .500 and crawl into the playoffs, not exactly a high standard here (especially in the EC). the coaching staff should probably try to split those 2's on court time as much as possible though, have them both start, but rest at totally different intervals.

RollingWave
07-29-2013, 09:47 PM
Unfortunately for Lin, selective context works decidedly against him last year. since most people only saw him struggle at the start and at the end, they made up their mind about him without taking into account of everything else that happened in between.

for example

Winshare / Winshare per 48

Klay Thompson: 4.3 / .070
Jeremy Lin: 5.4 / .099

RAPM / RSPM

Klay Thompson: 0.2 / -0.74
Jeremy Lin : 0.2 / 0.51

He is average, but a lot of guys you think is better than him is in fact highly suspect at best.

ztilzer31
07-29-2013, 09:57 PM
So am I to understand since the OP doesn't like Reddick so the Clippers aren't in it, but he likes the Lakers so their no defense back court is in it with a washed up Nash, and injured Kobe? Yeah no biased in this thread...

Hint for making polls OP. You don't not put in teams because "you don't like someone". Many people would pick LAC, and only Lakers fans would ever pick LAL.

lol, please
07-29-2013, 11:41 PM
So am I to understand since the OP doesn't like Reddick so the Clippers aren't in it, but he likes the Lakers so their no defense back court is in it with a washed up Nash, and injured Kobe? Yeah no biased in this thread...

Hint for making polls OP. You don't not put in teams because "you don't like someone". Many people would pick LAC, and only Lakers fans would ever pick LAL.Exactly.

Arch Stanton
07-30-2013, 01:06 AM
Not sure I agree with the polling options. No CP3, Westbrook, Rose, or Kyrie? Huh? Kyrie and Jack has to be better than Rubio and Martin.... No?

Monta is beast
07-30-2013, 04:59 AM
I wish Barnes would start, but it's highly unlikely he will.

Monta is beast
07-30-2013, 05:03 AM
Unfortunately for Lin, selective context works decidedly against him last year. since most people only saw him struggle at the start and at the end, they made up their mind about him without taking into account of everything else that happened in between.

for example

Winshare / Winshare per 48

Klay Thompson: 4.3 / .070
Jeremy Lin: 5.4 / .099

RAPM / RSPM

Klay Thompson: 0.2 / -0.74
Jeremy Lin : 0.2 / 0.51

He is average, but a lot of guys you think is better than him is in fact highly suspect at best.

My bad I thought we were talking about next season. Thompson a game was completely different towards the end of the season, then it was for the first 3/4 of the season. He knows his role know, which is something he struggled with for the most part of last season. Plus from year two to year three is when players typically make there biggest junps in production.

lol, please
07-30-2013, 10:59 PM
Tell 'em Mibs! :clap:

chillballpete
07-31-2013, 08:36 AM
After CJ gets his spot, Lillard/McCollum

2-ONE-5
07-31-2013, 11:30 AM
Carter-Williams and Evan Turner easily!

Where are the Clippers? they are my vote. As for team on the poll its GSW easily

Chapin78
07-31-2013, 12:24 PM
I think if Eric Gordon is healthy then that would make the tandem of him a Jrue Holliday as one of the better starting backcourts in the league. Gordon is a dynamic scorer and Jrue is a legit PG that can do everything well.

Thompson and Curry can shoot the lights out the building both are really incredible how they played in the playoffs.

todu82
07-31-2013, 12:49 PM
Minnesota.

dalton749
03-20-2014, 02:06 AM
As the season winds down, the winner is (based on WS)...?

GS-10.7 + 5.5
TOR- 10.3 + 7.2
LAC- 9.6 + 4.9
Hou- 9.5 + 3.8
PHX- 8.7 + 2.9
POR- 8.2 + 7.1
IND- 7.0 + 7.0
WAS- 6.9 + 2.7
SAS- 5.2 + 4.9
MIN- 4.9 + 5.0
DAL- 5.3 + 4.1

Toronto
Lowry and Derozan
Yes, I only did this because I was right.

TorontoHuskies
03-20-2014, 02:23 AM
As the season winds down, the winner is (based on WS)...?

GS-10.7 + 5.5
TOR- 10.3 + 7.2
LAC- 9.6 + 4.9
Hou- 9.5 + 3.8
PHX- 8.7 + 2.9
POR- 8.2 + 7.1
IND- 7.0 + 7.0
WAS- 6.9 + 2.7
SAS- 5.2 + 4.9
MIN- 4.9 + 5.0
DAL- 5.3 + 4.1

Toronto
Lowry and Derozan
Yes, I only did this because I was right.

crazy stat because everytime I watch the Raptors I see Derozan's poor ball handling/shot decision costing us at the end of games.

Lakers + Giants
03-20-2014, 02:52 AM
As a laker fan i can't even believe nash and kobe are up there.

I would agree if it were kobe and exum tho :p

I like the wizards tho.

Lakers + Giants
03-20-2014, 02:53 AM
Wow my bad, just realized this thread was bumped :pity:

jerellh528
03-20-2014, 05:15 AM
Pretty neat diagram that shows every teams passing tendencies

http://imgur.com/tMqLnhL

Jamiecballer
03-20-2014, 11:13 AM
If Lowry returns, Toronto. Derozan has taken major strides in the other parts of his game and will likely continue to get better.

ok i got duped.

JasonJohnHorn
03-20-2014, 02:11 PM
Exactly.

I actually prefer the Clips.... I just put LAL in there because I didn't want to hear the LAL homers bemoan their absence... that said, I posted this in the summer before the season started.

JusDBasics
03-20-2014, 03:16 PM
WHEN Lowry resigns it'll be a toss up between Lowry/DeRozan and Steph/Klay.

Hawkeye15
03-20-2014, 03:24 PM
Don't think anyone saw the Toronto rise coming. DeRozan and Lowry are both having career years, by a wide margin. It's them, for sure I would say this year.

Hawkeye15
03-20-2014, 03:25 PM
Klay is slowly becoming seriously overrated.

Duncan = Donkey
03-20-2014, 07:13 PM
Cant see it being anyone other than Dragic/Bledsoe

Jamiecballer
03-20-2014, 07:26 PM
Cant see it being anyone other than Dragic/Bledsoe

It will be interesting to see if that pairing is viable long term. Damn good duo though.

Kyben36
03-20-2014, 07:40 PM
im going with wall and Beal, i am not sold on Thompson just from a standpoint the organization already stated that only bogut and Curry are untouchable, that said, it doesnt sound like they have faith in thompson and i think he is an over rated overall player, hell of a scorer and shooter, but the rest of his game lacks, Wall and Beal for me.

smith&wesson
03-20-2014, 08:48 PM
lowry & derozan and dragic and bledsoe were snubbed...

is it ok to laugh at Rubio and Martin yet ?? or nash & kobe lol

smith&wesson
03-20-2014, 08:51 PM
im going with wall and Beal, i am not sold on Thompson just from a standpoint the organization already stated that only bogut and Curry are untouchable, that said, it doesnt sound like they have faith in thompson and i think he is an over rated overall player, hell of a scorer and shooter, but the rest of his game lacks, Wall and Beal for me.

I think that paring will have longevity ... both those guys are still so young and both have a very high ceiling. So long as beal can stay healthy.

smith&wesson
03-20-2014, 08:52 PM
It will be interesting to see if that pairing is viable long term. Damn good duo though.

I think phx is pretty set on keeping both of them.

Allphakenny1
03-20-2014, 09:46 PM
Klay is slowly becoming seriously overrated.

I think it is quite the opposite. He was rated kind of high in the offseason and did not live up to that or Warrior fans expectations. Lately, he has finally started driving to the hoop which he has always shown potential in, but never did consistently. When he does that he looks like a border line all-star.

If he was overrated, it was earlier in the year and not now.

I would still say the Warriors are #1 over Toronto, and I would take the Clippers with a healthy Reddick over Toronto as well.

Allphakenny1
03-20-2014, 09:47 PM

Do not forget he is solid on defense as well!

SugeKnight
03-20-2014, 10:37 PM
Wow I was so high on Barnes lol... :sigh:

Hawkeye15
03-20-2014, 10:45 PM
I think it is quite the opposite. He was rated kind of high in the offseason and did not live up to that or Warrior fans expectations. Lately, he has finally started driving to the hoop which he has always shown potential in, but never did consistently. When he does that he looks like a border line all-star.

If he was overrated, it was earlier in the year and not now.

I would still say the Warriors are #1 over Toronto, and I would take the Clippers with a healthy Reddick over Toronto as well.

Klay is literally a modern Kevin Martin to me. Or, up and coming. He really does zip besides hit jumpers. He has been talked about as a really good young player with upside. I just don't see it.

Klay doesn't project as an all star to me at all. And when I hear it, I don't get it.

Basically, he is the reason this poll is crap, even though its super old.

mdm692
03-20-2014, 11:20 PM
Eric Bledsoe and Goran Dragic. Specially after we upgrade the PF and SF positions.

bucketss
03-20-2014, 11:21 PM
derozan and lowry :p

Allphakenny1
03-21-2014, 01:38 AM
Klay is literally a modern Kevin Martin to me. Or, up and coming. He really does zip besides hit jumpers. He has been talked about as a really good young player with upside. I just don't see it.

Klay doesn't project as an all star to me at all. And when I hear it, I don't get it.

I am not sold on Klay, but you are clearly under selling him. Maybe you just do not watch enough Warriors games, but he has been driving to the hoop lately and scoring in the paint with ease. I need to see more of it to say it is a strength of his game, but he has shown potential in this area since he entered the league. His rebounding and assists are not good at all so no argument from me there. His defense is solid so he is not just a spot up shooter.

Jamiecballer
03-21-2014, 12:52 PM
I think phx is pretty set on keeping both of them.

i'm thinking more from the perspective of will both of them remain happy and is there enough room for either to become the best player they can. it's very unusual to have 2 guys in the same backcourt explode in growth/role at the same time without one of them being under-utilized and/or becoming unhappy.

lol, please
03-21-2014, 01:31 PM
Even post bump, it's still the Warriors.

b@llhog24
03-21-2014, 09:44 PM
The one with Chris Paul.

Not sure if I saw the thread before, but this would've been my answer.

D-Leethal
03-21-2014, 10:20 PM

Klay is a plus defender too, and an overall heady player. I'd say a young-to-prime Kevin Martin with good, solid defense playing for a winning team is as close to an all-star as you can get. I think he gets overrated at times but I also don't think playing next to a first option scorer, lights out 3 point shooter PG is really ideal for him to shine to the fullest extent. If he was the main scorer and 3 ball/curl option in the backcourt he could flourish a little more.

mdm692
03-21-2014, 10:33 PM
lowry & derozan and dragic and bledsoe were snubbed...

is it ok to laugh at Rubio and Martin yet ?? or nash & kobe lol

I don't get them either. Unless Rubio suddenly becomes a good shooter that back court shouldn't even be in the conversation. And lol @ Nash. Just because he hasn't played doesn't mean he's coming back like it was 2005.

HeatBeat
03-22-2014, 04:45 AM
It isnt GSW. Thompson is ridiculously overrated. Id say Dragic/Bledsoe or Lowry/DD

sunsfan88
03-22-2014, 04:48 AM
Phoenix. Bledsoe-Dragic, the slash brothers.

tredigs
03-22-2014, 05:48 AM
The good about Klay is that he plays both ends, won't miss a game and is a great option to hit a final shot when Curry is double teamed. Bledsoe/Dragic and the 20 or so games they've played together can't qualify for me at this point.

lol, please
03-22-2014, 11:42 AM
The good about Klay is that he plays both ends, won't miss a game and is a great option to hit a final shot when Curry is double teamed. Bledsoe/Dragic and the 20 or so games they've played together can't qualify for me at this point.good post.

sunsfan88
03-22-2014, 02:20 PM
I also don't think Thompsons that good. He cant create off dribble and is a strict catch and shoot guy. There are so many of those in the NBA.

I don't think he's that much better than Gerald Green is for PHX.

Walt
03-22-2014, 02:30 PM
I also don't think Thompsons that good. He cant create off dribble and is a strict catch and shoot guy. There are so many of those in the NBA.

I don't think he's that much better than Gerald Green is for PHX.

Gerald Green is garbage... He's just in the right system where he's allowed to fire at will. There's a reason he's been with multiple teams year after year.

tredigs
03-22-2014, 06:36 PM
Klay's not a "great" player by any means, but he is young, ultra reliable and a very solid compliment to Curry's style (doesn't need the ball, can defend 1-3 and is a top 5 catch and shoot player in the NBA). His inconsistency has frustrated me (huge mid-season shooting slump), but he started the season fantastic and has geared up to look closer to that form over the past month, so it looks like I'll be happy with him going into the post season.

I wouldn't trade that backcourt for Lowry/Derozan or Dragic/Bledsoe. I like the Suns backcourt for sure, but Bledsoe's built in this new guard mold that is showing it just can't sustain. Plus, Curry > all of them.

ManRam
03-22-2014, 06:46 PM

Now? Maybe. But he was being overrated like CRAZY earlier this season.

It's probably Steph and Klay. CP3 and JJ not far behind.

EDIT: Holy ****...had no idea this thread was this long. I'm sure I missed a lot of Klay debate...not that I care for it

tredigs
03-22-2014, 06:54 PM
CP3/JJ is a good call, but another one that we haven't seen more than 20 or so games of.

And yeah, this was a bumped thread by a Suns or Raps fan I think, but personally I like revisiting these. No fun to have all these prognostications when we never look back at them. Good for some pats on the back and/or humility.

sunsfan88
03-22-2014, 07:03 PM
Gerald Green is garbage... He's just in the right system where he's allowed to fire at will. There's a reason he's been with multiple teams year after year.

I think Klay's the same way. I don't think he would play well unless he's in the right system like he is in GS where he can fire at will.

eDush
03-22-2014, 07:13 PM
Rose/Butler

Homers will always be homers instead of being honest. The Splash brothers ftw!

eDush
03-22-2014, 07:15 PM
I think Klay's the same way. I don't think he would play well unless he's in the right system like he is in GS where he can fire at will.

He will play will in any structured offense over a free range offense that he is improving on regularly to expend his repertoire. Klay is an elite SG in a few more years folks.

Guppyfighter
03-22-2014, 07:34 PM
Chris Paul and JJ Redick is still the best back court this year.

TrueFan420
03-22-2014, 08:08 PM
Chris Paul and JJ Redick is still the best back court this year.

When healthy I'd tend to agree but how often has then been this year 20 games?

dalton749
03-23-2014, 03:21 AM
if others were healthy, they might be the better back court
but they arent

so lowry and derozan are the best this season no debate, they have lead what was thought to be a lottery team to a 3rd seed, and dont use the west excuse, they have a positive record there too
forever underrated for being in canada though

tredigs
03-23-2014, 03:55 AM
if others were healthy, they might be the better back court
but they arent

so lowry and derozan are the best this season no debate, they have lead what was thought to be a lottery team to a 3rd seed, and dont use the west excuse, they have a positive record there too
forever underrated for being in canada though

Hah sorry, not buying the Canada's underrated woe-is-me blather. They wouldn't be a playoff team in the West and in their franchise history have made it to the 2nd round once. It's not like they're demanding a ton of respect and just being shunned here.

I bet if this thread was remade and people were asked which backcourt had the best season, Toronto would win. But to call it a non-debate is dumb, and I stand by the fact that GS wouldn't trade their backcourt for Toronto's (I am sure Toronto would be ready and willing, though. Even if each player was on a similar contract). LAC and Phoenix wouldn't either.

sunsfan88
03-23-2014, 01:48 PM
He will play will in any structured offense over a free range offense that he is improving on regularly to expend his repertoire. Klay is an elite SG in a few more years folks.

Elite??? Harrison Barnes has a higher chance of becoming elite than Thompson & my thats despite Barnes being garbage for most of the season.

R. Johnson#3
03-24-2014, 12:07 AM
Hah sorry, not buying the Canada's underrated woe-is-me blather. They wouldn't be a playoff team in the West and in their franchise history have made it to the 2nd round once. It's not like they're demanding a ton of respect and just being shunned here.

I bet if this thread was remade and people were asked which backcourt had the best season, Toronto would win. But to call it a non-debate is dumb, and I stand by the fact that GS wouldn't trade their backcourt for Toronto's (I am sure Toronto would be ready and willing, though. Even if each player was on a similar contract). LAC and Phoenix wouldn't either.

I wouldn't trade Toronto's backcourt for Phoenix's and I'm well aware of how good Dragic is. I'm not underrating him.

Goose17
03-24-2014, 03:15 AM
Elite??? Harrison Barnes has a higher chance of becoming elite than Thompson & my thats despite Barnes being garbage for most of the season.

He will be an elite defender (which I didn't expect) and shooter. Not sure about an elite overall player though.

High caliber for sure. Elite feels premature.

sunsfan88
03-27-2014, 01:13 AM
He will be an elite defender (which I didn't expect) and shooter. Not sure about an elite overall player though.

High caliber for sure. Elite feels premature.
I just hate his face also...he's got one of those faces that you just wanna punch.

sunsfan88
03-27-2014, 01:14 AM
I wouldn't trade Toronto's backcourt for Phoenix's and I'm well aware of how good Dragic is. I'm not underrating him.
PHX is fine with theirs and Toronto is fine with theirs :)

sunsfan88
03-27-2014, 01:15 AM
Paul Coro ‏@paulcoro 4h

Dragic and Bledsoe (the Slobama backcourt?) has 48 points, 13 assists and 12 rebounds. PHX 98-90, :31.5 to go. #SunsAtWizards

#SlashBros