PDA

View Full Version : Nba vs nfl

quartz
07-27-2013, 04:45 PM
Man do I love both the the NFL and NBA. NBA because its bball is my first love. NFL because of the unpredictability of every game and every season, you almost never know for certain who will win each game or how a team or player will rise to the occasion to win and survive each week. Which makes each game leading up to and including the playoffs exciting, breath taking and must watch television.

Basketball this year has me feeling that way. As much as I hate to admit it the new CBA had really made each team much more competitive and balanced. Each team has even improved and made wiser basketball decisions. After these past playoffs and the exciting nail biters I saw night after night I can't help but feel ecstatic about the future of my first love. Hopefully we will get the same media coverage on basketball as football does and become the worlds #1 sport.

So what do yal think? Can basketball take over and be bigger than football?

sjbirds
07-27-2013, 04:46 PM
Nope..never

flea
07-27-2013, 04:49 PM
Maybe if it weren't rigged or if it were America's pastime. As is, no.

PhillyFaninLA
07-27-2013, 05:09 PM
no shot

Sly Guy
07-27-2013, 05:23 PM
I never understood the american obsession with football. Rugby is such a more badass game

RLundi
07-27-2013, 05:30 PM
No, the NBA is a pastime. The NFL is a religion.

LongIslandIcedZ
07-27-2013, 05:46 PM
The NBA has been awesome for me the last few years but it still isn't the NFL. Not even close.

ThunderousDemon
07-27-2013, 05:48 PM
The NFL is only popular in the U.S.

The NBA is popular around the world.

mgjohnson7851
07-27-2013, 07:02 PM
Lol the nba is a joke.... who is going to be in the finals next year? The heat. Who is going to be in the superbowl? No one knows.

dee279
07-27-2013, 07:41 PM
Football will always be tops for me. Just the most exciting game there is IMO. Anything can happen at any givin moment from a TD, To a Turnover, to guy guy almost losing his head with a big hit. As a True Heat/Wade fan, basketball was alot more fun and exciting to watch before 2010. Dont get me wrong, i like the championships, but it feels no where as exciting as it did when Wade won it in 2006. Football is just the ish to me.

Theyhateme459
07-27-2013, 07:57 PM
Never.... though the NBA has taken over the NFL for me... the NFL is almost turning into a crap shoot... I mean all the games coming down to one play teams are pretty even now. Honestly i feel if you run the NFL playoffs back 10 times you could easily have 10 different champions... so much luck is involved in winning the superbowl that it's not always the best team... TO each their own... Football for me is still #2 but I love it for fantasy sports and my panthers mostly... I enjoy the NBA for the sport and all the teams... I refuse to play fantasy basketball cause I don't want it to ruin how I enjoy the sport.

sunsfan88
07-27-2013, 08:04 PM
NFL is way more unpredictable. That's what makes it better.

In the NBA, I can tell you right now that either the Heat, Nets, Knicks, Thunder, Warriors or Clippers are gonna win the title next year.

Can't do that with the NFL.

effen5
07-27-2013, 08:50 PM
Is Jordan coming back?

smith&wesson
07-27-2013, 09:20 PM
Im pretty sure that basketball is already a more popular sport than american football in every other contenent other than north america.

Da Knicks
07-27-2013, 11:23 PM
This to a certain extent, sports have to be rigged to create money. Entertainment is always going to have the markets that need the help to grow.

Big markets that have a tough time keeping fans catch the breaks. Miami even after winning a chip in 06 struggled to get people to attend that got fixed in 2010.

Los Angeles is another that needs the help. If the lakers wouldn't be winners would they still have the arena filled up? I say no and so does the nba giving them the clippers now. The nba saw the rams in Los Angeles struggle because they couldn't win and be a "cool" team.

I think the nfl since the popularity is US based cares more about the historic teams Cowboys, Steelers, 49ers, Packers, Giants.

If those fan bases start dying down or attendance drops, drop your bets at Vegas because they will be in the Super Bowl. I feel bad saying that as a 49er fan but many of my fellow 49er fans came back after this last season.

If Knick fans or Bull fans wouldn't be so diehard and sellout every game even when the teams are struggling I think the nba would intervene. Lol

Knicks getting Ewing, Rose to the bulls, lebron to Cleveland is not a coincidence either people.

sportsfan222
07-27-2013, 11:42 PM
NFL is way more unpredictable. That's what makes it better.

In the NBA, I can tell you right now that either the Heat, Nets, Knicks, Thunder, Warriors or Clippers are gonna win the title next year.

Can't do that with the NFL. all other teams have a realistic chance ( altough i am not high on the clippers come playoff time) but u left the 2nd and 3rd best teams in the east off that list, so this statement would prob be a bit more realistic if u switch bulls and pacers with nets and knicks. knicks and nets are not winning a title, let alone making it to the ecf.

da ThRONe
07-28-2013, 01:05 AM
The problem with the NBA is that it's not as tv friendly as the NFL. Almost every game matters in the NFL while the NBA one game unless it's the tail end of a playoff push doesn't really mean much. Every Sunday the NFL and the networks that can afford to televise it puts on a spectacle. The NBA can only try to do so during the playoffs and holidays.

Personally I don't think it has as much to do with the two sports as it does the way both sports are managed.

brandt
07-28-2013, 01:15 AM
Never!

goku
07-28-2013, 01:36 AM
NFL is better and it isn't even close

ragee
07-28-2013, 02:02 AM
Ok, I am confused. Why are people saying the NBA cannot surpass the NFL? The OP was talking about soccer when he asked if the NBA can takeover football as a number 1 sports. The NFL maybe bigger in the US than the NBA but worldwide, NBA is more popular. I like watching the NFL as well but many of my friends from here and Australia find NFL really boring.

UKBronco58
07-28-2013, 05:32 AM
I'm confused. You mention the NFL but then go on to say its the world's number 1 sport which is called football but that's not what its known as in America.

"Soccer" is the world's most popular sport and I can't see that ever changing.

IndyRealist
07-28-2013, 06:32 AM
The NFL is only popular in the U.S.

The NBA is popular around the world.

Yet the NFL has significantly higher earnings. The NBA will never pass the NFL until they change their business model. NFL games are an EVENT for their fans, since they only happen once a week. With only a 16 game season, each win matters. The NBA has 2-4 games per week for each team, so fans don't care if they miss one or two games at a time. Most revenue-contributing fans probably don't watch half of a team's games, let alone go to them.

The NFL has bigger TV contracts, 3-4x the stadium capacity, higher viewership and higher attendance. The NBA doesn't stand a chance.

IndyRealist
07-28-2013, 06:36 AM
Ok, I am confused. Why are people saying the NBA cannot surpass the NFL? The OP was talking about soccer when he asked if the NBA can takeover football as a number 1 sports. The NFL maybe bigger in the US than the NBA but worldwide, NBA is more popular. I like watching the NFL as well but many of my friends from here and Australia find NFL really boring.

The OP is specifically talking about the NFL, it's in the title.

hidalgo
07-28-2013, 06:45 AM
I've always preferred the NBA over the NFL (well over 20 years being an nba fan) basketball being my favorite sport, so it makes sense. I like the NFL, but it really annoys me that espn never for 1 second of the year shuts up about it. NFL live on every single day during the OFF SEASON! they talk about draft predctions all day everyday for 4 months, then after the draft they talk none stop about off the field stuff like arrests, or training camp is only 6 months away, or tim teebo, or will Romo ever win, etc. give it a rest!! my God! let it be fresh when it comes back in sept. espn plays the NFL out BAD(to put it mildy) it's none stop all day every day, & that's just the 8 months of off season. during the season, it's 5X more NFL talk.

i'd love to have the NBA today everyday in NFL live's spot (at least during the nfl off season, & during ya know the NBA's actual season, which would make so much sense, but no, it has to be constant omg nfl nfl nfl nfl nfl draft is 4 months away) boring as hell, 8 months from the start of the season, take a break captain linger, jeeesh. I rarely watch nfl live in the offseason, but it's really hard to avoid all together cause it's everywhere. I find the nba today, inside the nba, etc way more watchable than the same old tired played out nfl live crap (but I do like basketball the best, so that's mostly why). anyway, the NFL is overblown (& I do like the nfl alot, just it's way too much espn talk about it). there's no reason to have the nfl live show everyday during the 8 months of offseason, while the nba & mlb get much worse time slots & far less shows during their actual seasons

ragee
07-28-2013, 06:55 AM
The OP is specifically talking about the NFL, it's in the title.

Then why did he said number 1 sport in the world?

IndyRealist
07-28-2013, 08:33 AM
Beats me.

3Blueforyou
07-28-2013, 10:57 AM
You sit three hours to see 10-15 plays of impact on the game, and get advertised to for the rest. I just don't get it.

quartz
07-28-2013, 11:03 AM

Yal got me there but at the same time I don't think you can be #1 sport in the world without being #1 in your country first. I know world wide nba is bigger but here nba almost gets no love compared to football or baseball even. For a sport that's played everyday I would think it could be covered more. May be that takes away from it but baseballs played daily and baseball tonight is aired regularly on espn even in there offseason. Except coast to coast Basketballs got some shows that never seem to have a designated time slot and I'm not even sure the air daily. Football is damn near everyday no matter what. May be because its 1 game a week there is an exclusive feel to it, and the rosters carry more players and 32 teams give it more storylines and what not. I guess my gripe would be how espn brushes it off to the side. May be they don't feel they can compete with what TNT does with inside the nba but that's 1 night a week. Chris berman said something very disrespectful almost racist about the reason for lack of coverage given to basketball after the "malice in the palace". Like that incident justified why they/he don't cover the nba as much. Idk may be he's running things over there.

2-ONE-5
07-28-2013, 11:32 AM
everything is better about the NFL. contracts, most attitudes, players dislike eachother, they cant run to team up with other stars for rings, etc, etc

also NFL teams have waiting list for season tickets that last years

ChicagoJ
07-28-2013, 02:59 PM
Both the nfl and nba have things over each other, although the NFL has more things right. There is nothing like NFL sunday. After week 6 the atmosphere is like that of the NBA playoffs every week. And it's so unpredictable. With that said, my favorite era in all of sports was the 90s NBA.

They both have their merits. I love the NFL for the atmosphere, it's the big game in the USA, and it's unpredictable. Unless your team starts 0-6 there is always a chance to make the playoffs until the end of the year. And the NBA is great and not so great due to its star players. They effect they game way too much, but they do make the game what it is. You have to love greatness in the NBA.

mgjohnson7851
07-29-2013, 03:42 AM
everything is better about the NFL. contracts, most attitudes, players dislike eachother, they cant run to team up with other stars for rings, etc, etc

also NFL teams have waiting list for season tickets that last years

This! In the nfl the players have loyalty. They will stay with their team their whole career if they get a chance.

Also, it is much harder for the refs to dictate the game, and when they do, the game gets immortalized in a bad way (see: packers-seahawks ref replacements or ed hocculi broncos- chargers).

RiceOnTheRun
07-29-2013, 03:46 AM
The NBA is far more predictable.

The chance of the Knicks upsetting the Heat would be marginal, compared to the chance the Ravens had against the Broncos/Patriots last year.

I don't think any NBA playoff run has ever been more exciting than the Ravens' from last year. Each game was pretty much a must watch. Heat/Celtics from last year was pretty good, along with Heat/Pacers and Heat/Spurs this year, but as a whole, I think the NFL playoffs with the whole single elimination thing is more exciting rather than a long dragged on series (eg. Games 2-5 in the 2013 NBA Finals).

da ThRONe
07-29-2013, 07:52 AM
I think the reason star players matter so much in the NBA is because teams aren't given sufficient time in between games to game plan against a team during the regular season.