PDA

View Full Version : Should Nerlens Noel sit out the 2013-14 season?

dwoyo
07-27-2013, 03:11 PM
Read this article on bleacher report, check it out:
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1716601-why-nerlens-noel-sitting-out-entire-2013-14-rookie-season-is-the-right-move

And it got me convinced that a very smart move the tanking Sixers can make is to sit out Nerlens Noel for the entire season next year. Noel is expected to be in playing form by Christmas, but in what is expected to be a lost season for the Sixers in hopes of grabbing a future star like Wiggins or Jabari Parker, I don't necessarily see a point in playing a skinny and fragile rookie center this year, when instead he can use this season to recover from injury, hit the weight room, and work on his game to come back at 110% for the Sixers next season.

What do you guys think?

ManRam
07-27-2013, 03:20 PM
I'm not gonna read the article, but I think the answer is pretty simple.

If he's 100% then they should start practicing him and if that goes well get him some playing time. If he's 99% or less then they shouldn't. There's no reason to risk anything, but even though they're all but "tanking", getting him some burn this year could be important down the road.

I don't think you can answer it right now with a certain "yes" or "no". It all depends. I mean, the season doesn't even start for a couple more months...we're so far away from this.

HYFR
07-27-2013, 03:28 PM
If he's 100% you play him. He's not winning you games anyways as a rookie so they can still tank. That experience is invaluable

RLundi
07-27-2013, 03:46 PM
If he's 100% you play him. He's not winning you games anyways as a rookie so they can still tank. That experience is invaluable

This.

slaker619
07-27-2013, 03:50 PM
If I was him I'd pull a #Rose

Hawkeye15
07-27-2013, 04:33 PM

This, for sure. Noel is not some once in a generation prospect like LeBron, or Wiggins appears to be. He isn't changing the win/loss column by 10-20 games. The Sixers did the right thing, and will suck accordingly anyways. Besides, Wiggins isn't the only prize. There are 3-5 players considered perennial all star talent coming out, though a year of college ball can change that perception (See Shabazz).

PhillyFaninLA
07-27-2013, 04:39 PM
I heard him being interviewed on WIP (Philadelphia sports talk radio station) and he made a comment about being more concerned about his entire career than this season. Listening to the whole thing I got the impression he'd like to play if possible but would rather sit the year and be 100% when he does come back.

I think you don't play him right away when he is cleared at lest not for big minutes. Personally if he is healthy in January or so I'd like to see him play about 10 minutes a game for experience and to be able to get used to the NBA game...but if he sat the entire year and got a bit bigger (both by aging another year and by hitting the gym) I'd be ok with it.

Hawkeye15
07-27-2013, 04:41 PM
I heard him being interviewed on WIP (Philadelphia sports talk radio station) and he made a comment about being more concerned about his entire career than this season. Listening to the whole thing I got the impression he'd like to play if possible but would rather sit the year and be 100% when he does come back.

I think you don't play him right away when he is cleared at lest not for big minutes. Personally if he is healthy in January or so I'd like to see him play about 10 minutes a game for experience and to be able to get used to the NBA game...but if he sat the entire year and got a bit bigger (both by aging another year and by hitting the gym) I'd be ok with it.

I just find it weird that a 19 year old needs 20 months to rehab from an acl injury. Not saying he shouldn't make sure he is 100%, just saying that is a long timeline.

PhillyFaninLA
07-27-2013, 04:47 PM
I just find it weird that a 19 year old needs 20 months to rehab from an acl injury. Not saying he shouldn't make sure he is 100%, just saying that is a long timeline.

Its projected to take about a year, which is normal. The question is not can he play this season, he will be able to at some point, the question is since he is light for his size, the issues with guys like Bynum and Oden, and the fact he needs to work on his offense do you bring him back when you can or do you sit him the year have him bulk up and work on his offense?

I already expressed my opinion but that is the point and not how long it will take to come back....He's projected as December right now which is a normal time frame for these type of injuries and not 20 months.

Hawkeye15
07-27-2013, 04:50 PM
Its projected to take about a year, which is normal. The question is not can he play this season, he will be able to at some point, the question is since he is light for his size, the issues with guys like Bynum and Oden, and the fact he needs to work on his offense do you bring him back when you can or do you sit him the year have him bulk up and work on his offense?

I already expressed my opinion but that is the point and not how long it will take to come back....He's projected as December right now which is a normal time frame for these type of injuries and not 20 months.

Oh, I know the timeframe, which is why I think sitting all year is sort of a waste. At the very least, he should get some experience just to understand the real speed and flow of an NBA game.

And yeah dude, he needs weight so badly.

JWorthy42
07-27-2013, 05:02 PM
Basically what other guys said. Don't risk it if he is not 101% ready to go. He is not going to turn you into a contender, so might as well just let it go. Philly is tanking one way or another.

da ThRONe
07-28-2013, 10:28 AM
A lot depends on his health. I would suggest that when he's truly 100% he should play. Getting the experience will be vital to his development no need in wasting an entire year if it doesn't put him at farther risk. I highly doubt he'll have the type of impact that will decide the outcome of any games he plays. Clearly the 76ers aren't in "win-now" mode.

FriedTofuz
07-28-2013, 11:48 AM
#tankadelphia

2-ONE-5
07-28-2013, 01:08 PM
just wanna see him 100% and get about 15-20 months a night for the last 2 months or so