PDA

View Full Version : LeBron is NBA's most popular player ahead of Kobe

RLundi
07-26-2013, 06:58 PM
For the first time in four years, the Miami Heat forward is the most popular player in the NBA, according to the latest ESPN Sports Poll.

Nearly 13 percent (12.9) of NBA fans said James was their favorite player this season, allowing him to best Kobe Bryant (12.5) for the first time since the 2008-09 season. That was the only other season when James passed the Los Angeles Lakers star, the top pick by fans for five of six years from 2006-07 to 2011-12.

After "The Decision," James' approval rating slipped drastically. For his final season in Cleveland, 15.6 percent of fans called him their favorite, according to the ESPN Sports Poll taken after the 2009-10 season. But for his first two years with the Heat, James was called fans' favorite player by 10.2 and 9.4 percent, respectively.

But James became easier to love, thanks in part to his play on the court, which led to two titles and two Finals MVP awards. While casual fans of the league still didn't like him as much as they did at the height of his Cleveland days, the most recent ESPN Sports Poll shows that more avid NBA fans (18.9 percent) call James their favorite today than at any other point in his career.

The numbers show that James separated himself from Bryant thanks to greater support of the African-American population. Twenty-four percent of African-Americans said James was their favorite player this season compared to only 16 percent mentioning Bryant. James also skewed younger, as 18 percent of kids 12-17 said they preferred him while only 15 percent preferred Bryant.

Rounding out the top five are Kevin Durant (3.6 percent), Derrick Rose (2.8) and Dwyane Wade (2.6).

http://m.espn.go.com/nba/story?storyId=9512608

No surprise here.

****storm, commence.

Guppyfighter
07-26-2013, 07:00 PM
Here that amoser. Remember when you said you'd pick Kobe for being more popular and that's all that matters.

Tebow was also covered more than any other QB not named Peyton.

Cal827
07-26-2013, 07:07 PM

No surprise here.

****storm, commence.

:laugh:

Well Might as well dance during the eye of the storm :dance:

But this is pretty obvious.

Aust
07-26-2013, 07:11 PM
This is news? I'm kind of surprised. I thought Lebron had been #1 for the past 5 years :confused:

Hawkeye15
07-26-2013, 07:14 PM
This is news? I'm kind of surprised. I thought Lebron had been #1 for the past 5 years :confused:

Kobe's jersey, and rating world wide was for sure higher. Comes with the territory. Now that LeBron is the champ, and been the best player, he takes the torch. In 5-6 years, someone will take it from him.

More-Than-Most
07-26-2013, 07:18 PM
Kobe's jersey, and rating world wide was for sure higher. Comes with the territory. Now that LeBron is the champ, and been the best player, he takes the torch. In 5-6 years, someone will take it from him.

If James was a Knick or Laker it wouldn't be close ever... To be ahead of Kobe while being a member of the heat is insanely shocking to me

UPRock
07-26-2013, 07:22 PM
If James was a Knick or Laker it wouldn't be close ever... To be ahead of Kobe while being a member of the heat is insanely shocking to me

I've to agree with you buddy.

OceanSpray
07-26-2013, 07:22 PM
Pointless imo. How does this even prove that LeBron is more popular?

amos1er
07-26-2013, 07:23 PM
Not true... Kobe is still more popular world wide. The US isn't the end all be all people.

http://www.lakersnation.com/lakers-news-fans-praise-kobe-after-lebrons-manila-tour/2013/07/26/

For the last couple of years, Kobe Bryant has developed a great relationship with the people of Asia as a result of his “Kobe Asia Tour” and the 2008 Beijing Olympics. He is by far the most popular athlete in Asia and even has a statue in China.

LeBron James is currently in Manila for a promotional event for Nike Philippines and to no one’s surprise, has already been compared to Kobe.

Although James has won two consecutive championships and Finals MVPs, the Philippines aren’t too fond of him and praise Kobe for his efforts to connect with fans.

According to Sports Interactive Network Philippines, James isn’t outgoing and refuses to take pictures or sign autographs with the fans:

“He’s a snob. When you go near him, even if you haven’t said anything, he’s quick to tell you, ‘No pictures, no autographs.’ So we never really wanted to get close to him in the first place.”

These fans tried their best to understand that James is on a tight schedule and doesn’t have enough time to interact with the fans, but praised Kobe for trying to fit in and accommodating his fans:

“Kobe’s charisma is on another level. He knows how to fit in. When he isn’t doing anything, he accommodates those who want a picture or autograph. If not, he knows how to decline politely.”

It’s no surprise that Kobe is the most popular athlete in Asia because there is mutual respect. The fans really appreciate all he has done and in return, Kobe has always tried his best to connect with them. Like James, Bryant doesn’t have to go out of his way to interact with his fans but his efforts likely stem from how he is received in the United States these days.

In a time when the media at home is praising LeBron for his accomplishments (which are well-deserved), they simply try to find ways to disrespect Kobe and what he’s done in his career. The people of Asia view him as a living legend while the media here somehow wants to twist that two rings are better than five (and sometimes even six).

The unfortunate truth is that people will finally come to appreciate Kobe like they do in Asia when he walks away from the game — and that’s a shame.

Delrayhc
07-26-2013, 07:28 PM
Not true... Kobe is still more popular world wide. The US isn't the end all be all people.

http://www.lakersnation.com/lakers-news-fans-praise-kobe-after-lebrons-manila-tour/2013/07/26/

For the last couple of years, Kobe Bryant has developed a great relationship with the people of Asia as a result of his “Kobe Asia Tour” and the 2008 Beijing Olympics. He is by far the most popular athlete in Asia and even has a statue in China.

LeBron James is currently in Manila for a promotional event for Nike Philippines and to no one’s surprise, has already been compared to Kobe.

Although James has won two consecutive championships and Finals MVPs, the Philippines aren’t too fond of him and praise Kobe for his efforts to connect with fans.

According to Sports Interactive Network Philippines, James isn’t outgoing and refuses to take pictures or sign autographs with the fans:

“He’s a snob. When you go near him, even if you haven’t said anything, he’s quick to tell you, ‘No pictures, no autographs.’ So we never really wanted to get close to him in the first place.”

These fans tried their best to understand that James is on a tight schedule and doesn’t have enough time to interact with the fans, but praised Kobe for trying to fit in and accommodating his fans:

“Kobe’s charisma is on another level. He knows how to fit in. When he isn’t doing anything, he accommodates those who want a picture or autograph. If not, he knows how to decline politely.”

It’s no surprise that Kobe is the most popular athlete in Asia because there is mutual respect. The fans really appreciate all he has done and in return, Kobe has always tried his best to connect with them. Like James, Bryant doesn’t have to go out of his way to interact with his fans but his efforts likely stem from how he is received in the United States these days.

In a time when the media at home is praising LeBron for his accomplishments (which are well-deserved), they simply try to find ways to disrespect Kobe and what he’s done in his career. The people of Asia view him as a living legend while the media here somehow wants to twist that two rings are better than five (and sometimes even six).

The unfortunate truth is that people will finally come to appreciate Kobe like they do in Asia when he walks away from the game — and that’s a shame.

Wow!

You really and honestly care about a popularity contest between Lebron and your little buddy

amos1er
07-26-2013, 07:29 PM
Here that amoser. Remember when you said you'd pick Kobe for being more popular and that's all that matters.

I still do. World wide it's still Kobe.

So 1/10 years Lebron is finally more popular and only by the small margin of .04%. Very debatable margin of error there. Especially when we don't know the whole dynamics of the sample size used. Besides, Kobe is still and has been the most popular NBA player in the world. Even with this recent finding, a team owner would be more inclined to pick Kobe over Lebron to start their franchise considering It took Lebron 10 years to be the most popular player in the US. It's still more financially beneficial to bet on the horse with more longevity as the top dog, rather than someone who took so long to attain that status and only by such a small debatable number over a guy who is in his 17th season. Prime Kobe is still a better draw and a more exciting player to watch than a prime Lebron. Plus prime Kobe still has longevity in his favor which means more ratings for a longer period of time.

Delrayhc
07-26-2013, 07:33 PM

I still do. World wide it's still Kobe.

So 1/10 years Lebron is finally more popular and only by the small margin of .04%. Very debatable margin of error there. Especially when we don't know the whole dynamics of the sample size used. Besides, Kobe is still and has been the most popular NBA player in the world. Even with this recent finding, a team owner would be more inclined to pick Kobe over Lebron to start their franchise considering It took Lebron 10 years to be the most popular player in the US. It's still more financially beneficial to bet on the horse with more longevity as the top dog, rather than someone who took so long to attain that status and only by such a small debatable number over a guy who is in his 17th season. Prime Kobe is still a better draw and a more exciting player to watch than a prime Lebron. Plus prime Kobe still has longevity in his favor which means more ratings for a longer period of time.

Wasnt the article about popularity in the U.S ?

amos1er
07-26-2013, 07:35 PM

Exactly my point. The US is only a small percentage of the world. Being more popular worldwide is much more important.

ThunderousDemon
07-26-2013, 07:36 PM

No surprise here.

****storm, commence.

You posted this with the intention of starting a flame war?

Useless.

Delrayhc
07-26-2013, 07:37 PM

Exactly my point. The US is only a small percentage of the world. Being more popular worldwide is much more important.

My point his why bring up worldwide when the article is about u.s popularity?

amos1er
07-26-2013, 07:41 PM

Because the title of the thread and article is deceptive. It says that Lebron is the most popular NBA player. What it should say is that Lebron is the most popular player in the US... and only by a small debatable number at that. A small percentage of .04 is not worthy to make such a claim considering the margin of error could easily be by 1-2 percent and that we don't know much about the sample size used.

More-Than-Most
07-26-2013, 07:44 PM
Because the title of the thread and article is deceptive. It says that Lebron is the most popular NBA player. What it should say is that Lebron is the most popular player in the US... and only by a small debatable number at that. A small percentage of .04 is not worthy to make such a claim considering the margin of error could easily be by 1-2 percent and that we don't know much about the sample size used.

again one is a laker and the other has been a cav/heat... That is insane that he is number 1 in the states while being on those 2 teams... If he was a knick/laker his entire career or even a small portion of his career He would be way ahead of Kobe and any other Nba player both here and world wide.

Delrayhc
07-26-2013, 07:49 PM

Wow! Your really bothered by the title of the thread.

Op please change the name of the thread to.

Lebron most popular NBA player but not most popular worldwide.

Vinny642
07-26-2013, 07:54 PM
Well deserving!

Pakman
07-26-2013, 07:58 PM
Its an espn poll lmfao. Take a real poll. Not to mention Kobe blows lebron away in world wide.popularity

Theyhateme459
07-26-2013, 08:01 PM

Soooooooo the Philippines now equals the world??? Also could we get more data than an article written by a long time laker fan? I mean I am sure he wrote this with zero bias!

amos1er
07-26-2013, 08:04 PM
again one is a laker and the other has been a cav/heat... That is insane that he is number 1 in the states while being on those 2 teams... If he was a knick/laker his entire career or even a small portion of his career He would be way ahead of Kobe and any other Nba player both here and world wide.

Sorry bro. Don't deal in hypotheticals. Only facts.

Would of, should of, could of arguments are not worth arguing over.

amos1er
07-26-2013, 08:05 PM

I'm not bothered, just stating facts to give a more clear insight as to the meaning of both the thread and the article.

Vinny642
07-26-2013, 08:05 PM
Its an espn poll lmfao. Take a real poll. Not to mention Kobe blows lebron away in world wide.popularity

USA is more important in terms of real popularity, the only reason the other countries would pick him is just because he has been around all these years... but Americans get to see both players and the drama they bring

amos1er
07-26-2013, 08:07 PM
Soooooooo the Philippines now equals the world??? Also could we get more data than an article written by a long time laker fan? I mean I am sure he wrote this with zero bias!

Kobe is more popular worldwide. And in his 17th season none the less. Pretty damn impressive for a declining to be more popular worldwide than a player in his prime who just came off two back to back championships. Also, according to this poll, Kobe is only trailing Lebron by .04%... IN HIS 17th SEASON!!! Lets no compare their primes or anything, lol. Lets see if Lebron is even the 5th most popular player in the NBA by his 17th season or if he is still even playing at a high level if all for that matter.

amos1er
07-26-2013, 08:08 PM
USA is more important in terms of real popularity, the only reason the other countries would pick him is just because he has been around all these years... but Americans get to see both players and the drama they bring

Great rationale there. Haha

Vinny642
07-26-2013, 08:11 PM
Great rationale there. Haha

Didnt China vote Yao Ming in an All Star game in a season he didnt even play?

Delrayhc
07-26-2013, 08:11 PM

I'm not bothered, just stating facts to give a more clear insight as to the meaning of both the thread and the article.

Yes you are bothered. If you weren't you wouldnt of started a thread about kobe being more popular in the Phillopenes

ThunderousDemon
07-26-2013, 08:12 PM

:laugh2:

Wow.

5ass
07-26-2013, 08:20 PM
Just ban amos1er and his little accomplices.

amos1er
07-26-2013, 08:24 PM
Didnt China vote Yao Ming in an All Star game in a season he didnt even play?

Ya, and this really is the same thing because Kobe is drawing all his popularity from an Asian bias. lol Didn't know Kobe was part Asian.

amos1er
07-26-2013, 08:26 PM
Just ban amos1er and his little accomplices.

For what crime? I am playing by the rules.

Unless you want the mods to act as rogue vigilantes and just ban me for no justifiable reason. Might give you some temporary pleasure, but you will be opening up Pandora's Box. This is not a communist regime, you have to follow a set of rules and be fair about things.

5ass
07-26-2013, 08:34 PM
For what crime? I am playing by the rules.

Unless you want the mods to act as rogue vigilantes and just ban me for no justifiable reason. Might give you some temporary pleasure, but you will be opening up Pandora's Box. This is not a communist regime, you have to follow a set of rules and be fair about things.

Then lets vote you off the island. I'm 100% sure if you make a poll most people would want you banned. I really dont care much if you get banned, but you're very childish. There are tons of posters on this site, and very few troll the way you do. The way you, thunderousdemon, illusionist, and others just stick together and troll is pathetic. Really it only gives Lakers fans on PSD a bad reputation. 9/10 times if i see a lakers sig or avatar i just skip the post. Very few of you're fans actually care/are able to make a discussion.

amos1er
07-26-2013, 08:41 PM
Then lets vote you off the island. I'm 100% sure if you make a poll most people would want you banned. I really dont care much if you get banned, but you're very childish. There are tons of posters on this site, and very few troll the way you do. The way you, thunderousdemon, illusionist, and others just stick together and troll is pathetic. Really it only gives Lakers fans on PSD a bad reputation. 9/10 times if i see a lakers sig or avatar i just skip the post. Very few of you're fans actually care/are able to make a discussion.

Didn't know it was within the rules to vote to ban someone. lol Guess you haven't heard of a little thing called the constitution.

BTW, I don't seem to recall you having any insightful contributions to any said discussions on here... like ever.

Chavacano
07-26-2013, 08:48 PM
Good for him. Congrats! :clap:

RaiderLakersA's
07-26-2013, 08:49 PM

Statistics and damn statistics. That poll represents only the respondents to ESPN's poll.

amos1er
07-26-2013, 08:52 PM
Statistics and damn statistics. That poll represents only the respondents to ESPN's poll.

Ya, these guys only want to hear what they want to hear. If you offer a differing opinion, than they will call for your head. They only want people around here who think like they do. We are in the age of the Lebronites here on the NBA forum.

basch152
07-26-2013, 09:03 PM
Didn't know it was within the rules to vote to ban someone. lol Guess you haven't heard of a little thing called the constitution.

BTW, I don't seem to recall you having any insightful contributions to any said discussions on here... like ever.

Wait, wut? The **** does the constitution have to do with anything?:eyebrow:

RLundi
07-26-2013, 09:06 PM
You posted this with the intention of starting a flame war?

Useless.

That part was sarcasm and even so, it's inevitable. You don't have to offer up a post, you're aware of this aren't you?

amos1er
07-26-2013, 09:06 PM
Wait, wut? The **** does the constitution have to do with anything?:eyebrow:

Freedom of speech.

You can't simply silence somebody just because they say something you don't agree with.

cmellofan15
07-26-2013, 09:10 PM
LeBron wins in the United States and Kobe wins in the Philippines and Kobe is the more popular player? That makes no sense considering the population of each country... but seriously who cares? LeBron is one of the most entertaining athletes of all time despite having a garbage supporting cast the majority of his career and playing in a small market his whole career. Can't say half of that for ol' Kobe Bean but it's always been entertaining watching him ball hog and chuck up shots all game.

HouRealCoach
07-26-2013, 09:14 PM
Amos1er once got his girlfriend took by a LeBron James fathead

SwatTeam
07-26-2013, 09:28 PM
I never wanted to be the most popular kid in school. I was always the quiet one. Watching everybody . . . waiting . . . waiting for the perfect moment to say . . . Uh, I, Uh think I shat on myself Ms. Johnson, can I please go home for the rest of the day?

JWorthy42
07-26-2013, 11:02 PM
Lebron is just a different animal right now. Champion on the court, and now a champion off the court.

I am not sure why amos1er is even trying right now. I mean there is nothing wrong with another player passing your favorite player in terms of skill, popularity etc. Its just a result and product of time. Nothing to be ashamed of. Kobe had his time, now it is LeBron's turn. I am a Lakers fan, I love Kobe, but he is not the same Kobe that he used to be and Lebron is miles ahead of him in terms of play in this day and age and has been for the past 4 years at least.

Tony_Starks
07-26-2013, 11:18 PM
Lebron now has the jewelry to go along with the accolades so everyone is recognizing.

Still Kobe killing it for 5 of the last 6 years is quite a feat for a player in "decline."

Bostonjorge
07-26-2013, 11:22 PM
This thread is misleading. Lebron is only more popular in one situation. Kobe is still the most popular over all world wide.

Also don't see why amos1er is getting so much hate on this thread. People troll on kobe and he defends kobe. Thinking kobe is the best player in the nba is not somthing only laker fan's think. Only .4 of Americans think lebron is a better player after this year.

JerseyPalahniuk
07-26-2013, 11:32 PM
This thread is misleading. Lebron is only more popular in one situation. Kobe is still the most popular over all world wide.

Also don't see why amos1er is getting so much hate on this thread. People troll on kobe and he defends kobe. Thinking kobe is the best player in the nba is not somthing only laker fan's think. Only .4 of Americans think lebron is a better player after this year.

This poll question asked for favorite player not the better player. I'm pretty sure most Americans know Lebron is the better player and so is Durant who was third on the poll

LBJ6
07-26-2013, 11:53 PM

It sure is true Amosloser. Have you heard of the tour Lebron had in Philippines and China, people camps out for 3 days just to get tickets to see Lebron.. Kobe was never treated that way or any other NBA player for that matter..

RLundi
07-26-2013, 11:55 PM
It sure is true Amosloser. Have you heard of the tour Lebron had in Philippines and China, people camps out for 3 days just to get tickets to see Lebron.. Kobe was never treated that way or any other NBA player for that matter..

Idk why I found this kinda funny :laugh2:

TmacBryant
07-27-2013, 03:57 AM

Do you think Lebron would have won if Kobe didn't get injured?

SportsFanatic10
07-27-2013, 04:03 AM
Lebron is just a different animal right now. Champion on the court, and now a champion off the court.

I am not sure why amos1er is even trying right now. I mean there is nothing wrong with another player passing your favorite player in terms of skill, popularity etc. Its just a result and product of time. Nothing to be ashamed of. Kobe had his time, now it is LeBron's turn. I am a Lakers fan, I love Kobe, but he is not the same Kobe that he used to be and Lebron is miles ahead of him in terms of play in this day and age and has been for the past 4 years at least.

WOW props dude! realest post i've ever seen from a lakers fan lol. kobe was and is great, but don't miss out on the other greats.

zn23
07-27-2013, 04:17 AM
fans are finally starting to appreciate true greatness... either that or they are fed up with Kobe.

SugeKnight
07-27-2013, 05:00 AM
Freedom of speech.

You can't simply silence somebody just because they say something you don't agree with.

Canadian website

IndyRealist
07-27-2013, 05:32 AM
So why did the Kobe > Lebron thread get closed, but the Lebron > Kobe thread didn't?

IndyRealist
07-27-2013, 05:34 AM
Freedom of speech.

You do not have freedom of speech on a private website were you sign a Terms of Service agreement stating that you acknowledge they have the right to moderate and/or remove your posts, your ability to post, and your account without having to justify to you in the slightest.

Slug3
07-27-2013, 12:47 PM
Do you think Lebron would have won if Kobe didn't get injured?

The championship? Even if Kobe was healthy they were not getting past the 2nd round if that.

Matter.
07-27-2013, 01:25 PM
Love how a majority of votes from one player comes from 12-17 year olds. :laugh:

ManRam
07-27-2013, 01:28 PM
Amazing what a turnaround he's made...amazing what winning does. Glad most of the stupid narratives about him are gone.

More-Than-Most
07-27-2013, 02:40 PM
Amazing what a turnaround he's made...amazing what winning does. Glad most of the stupid narratives about him are gone.

Not gone. Once the team he is on gets eliminated in the playoffs the trolls will return and he will become the anti clutch again

RulerSlick
07-27-2013, 05:28 PM
Lebron IS bigger than Kobe on a global scale. Also, LeBron James is the Most Popular Western Celebrity on Chinese Social MediaThis Amos guy still posting biased stuff from a Lakers site lol. Here is a post I made a month ago.

http://forums.prosportsdaily.com/showthread.php?825219-Numbers-Show-LeBron-Will-Never-Be-Jordan-No-Matter-How-Many-Rings-He-Wins&p=26526315#post26526315

Lebron is bigger.more popular than Kobe....I don't know why this is still a debate. These are articles mainly from 2013

1. 2013 NBA top-selling jerseys

http://www.ballerstatus.com/2013/04/09/carmelo-anthony-tops-nbas-2013-list-top-selling-jerseys/

The NBA unveiled their 2013 top-selling jerseys list on Tuesday (April 9), and it's the New York Knicks' Carmelo Anthony who claims the #1 spot.

The Knicks superstar rose from #4 to take the #1 spot from reigning NBA Finals MVP LeBron James of the Miami Heat, who slipped to #2. While this marks Anthony's debut at #1, James’ jersey has topped the list four times, and the Los Angeles Lakers' Kobe Bryant -- who lands at #4 this year -- has held the position seven times.

So, LeBron "fell" all the way to #2 on the list. Which is to say, 2 spots higher than Kobe and one spot behind a NYC-based player (part of the 'best-selling' data has to do with sales at the NYC NBA store) who finished the regular season on a tear and made fans believe he was a serious MVP candidate and the Knicks were a serious playoff contender.

Check back in with Carmelo and his jersey sales in a few months.

2. Top-paid USA and world athletes in 2013

http://espn.go.com/boxing/story/_/id/9277146/floyd-mayweather-jr-top-paid-us-athlete-2013-sports-illustrated = USA List

http://www.businessinsider.com/10-highest-paid-athletes-2013-5 = World List

You see there that LeBron James is the second-highest paid athlete for 2013, behind only Floyd Mayweather, Jr.

What you also see, at the first link, is that James' 2013 endorsement earnings = $39,000,000. Which is $20,000,000 more than Kobe Bryant, more than Tiger Woods and more than Phil Mickelson. James' endorsement earnings total is greater than any other USA athlete, which means it's greater than any other NBA player.

It should be easy to understand that you have to be popular/likable for endorsers to hire you.

3. LeBron is huge internationally
http://micgadget.com/34233/infographic-lebron-james-is-the-most-popular-western-celebrity-on-chinese-social-media/

Infographic: LeBron James is the Most Popular Western Celebrity on Chinese Social Media

Synthesio, a global social-media monitoring company, has created an infographic to tell us who are the top 25 most popular western celebrities on Chinese social media. It listened to the top 50 celebrities from Forbes’ “The World’s Most Powerful Celebrities” list, and monitored China’s top social-media sites, including Sina Weibo (China’s Twitter), Renren (China’s Facebook) and Tencent Weibo. As the infographic reveals, Chinese social-media users love NBA, basketball player LeBron James takes the top spot, followed by Rihanna and Justin Bieber, respectively. Lady Gaga and Taylor Swift round out the top five.

4. Just in case you are at all confused by the Carmelo top-selling jersey thing

http://www.forbes.com/profile/carmelo-anthony/

So, to summarize:

* LeBron had the #2 best-selling NBA jersey this year
* LeBron is the second-highest paid athlete in the world (2013)
* LeBron has the largest endorsement income of any NBA player or USA athlete in 2013
* LeBron is the most popular Western celebrity on Chinese social media
* Carmelo Anthony's endorsement earnings seem to be about 1/5th or so what LeBron's are

There's really not a lot to say.

I remember people complaining about all of the Samsung Galaxy ads featuring LeBron that came out, what was it, at the start of the NBA season. LeBron is everywhere, and if he wins another ring this year, this is only the beginning.

Just to help put all of this into perspective, here are the 2012 endorsement incomes for tennis mega-stars Roger Federer and Rafael Nadal. Both of whom have been very well-known on the international scene for around 10 years (Nadal won his first major in 2005; Federer won his first major in 2003):

Nadal (2012) = $25M
http://onforb.es/18Dw685

Federer (2012) = $45M
http://onforb.es/18DwaVq

And I think Federer's endorsement number has gone down. Still, he's a monster in endorsement income and always has been. Which isn't surprising given he has won the most men's singles majors in the history of the sport, speaks multiple languages and basically has almost no "dirty laundry" in his background.

I think some people may wish that LeBron wasn't as popular as he was. But he's very, very popular. The only player who is probably even close to LeBron, globally, in popularity is Kobe. Still, Kobe was #4 on the jersey list this year and was #3 on that same list last year. And with his age and current injury issue, it's not clear Kobe will regain the status he formerly enjoyed.

Of course, if LeBron and the Heat crash out of these playoffs either in the Eastern Conference Finals or to the Spurs in the Finals, then LeBron's popularity would likely take a hit.

For now though, it seems inarguable that he is currently the most popular NBA player in the world. He's not MJ popular, and probably never will be, but no one else ever was, either.

some other stuff and more recent

LeBron James Is The NBA's Leading Shoe Salesman
http://www.forbes.com/sites/kurtbadenhausen/2013/05/22/lebron-james-is-the-nbas-leading-shoe-salesmen/

LeBron James is in the hunt for a second straight NBA championship after leading the Miami Heat to an NBA-best 66 wins during the regular season. It has been a wildly successful 12-month run for King James, as he established himself as the NBA’s biggest star since Michael Jordan. James led the Heat on a 27-game winning streak. He added another NBA MVP trophy (for a total of four), an Olympic gold medal and his first title over the past year. The game’s most dominant player is also crushing the competition in stores, outselling his nearest rival’s signature sneakers 6-to-1.

Nike generated $300 million in U.S. retail sales in 2012 for James’ signature shoes, according to research firm SportsOneSource. Nike’s haul represents a 50% increase from sales of James’ kicks in 2011. “The first thing is the aesthetics. The shoes look great and his star stature continues to rise,” says SportsOneSource analyst Matt Powell. “The media attention on him helps him sell more footwear.”

The second best-selling active NBA pitchman is Kobe Bryant of the Los Angeles Lakers. His Kobe 8 signature shoes sold $50 million at U.S. stores last year. Bryant has been part of the Nike family since 2003. The 15-time All-Star was an Adidas athlete for the first six years of his career. Bryant’s shoe sales in the U.S. were down in 2012, but he is the NBA’s biggest star in China and his Nike sneakers sell briskly in Asia.

U.S. Retail Basketball Shoe Sales

LeBron James (Nike): $300 million

Kobe Bryant (Nike): $50 million

Carmelo Anthony (Jordan): $40 million

Kevin Durant (Nike): $35 million

Derrick Rose (Adidas): $25 million

John Wall (Reebok): $5 million

Dwight Howard (Adidas): $5 million

LeBron James' market share
Didn't see much of LeBron during commercial timeouts? That's by design

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/9420455/lebron-james-market-share

Even before this second NBA championship, LeBron's marketing strategists had completely redefined the dynamic between a sponsor and celebrity endorser, at least in the realm of the iconic athlete. The topic comes up not only because LeBron's second title leads us to look at his immediate future, on and off the court, but also because the perception in some quarters is that he had a relatively low commercial profile on television during the playoffs.

In this day and age, the bottom line means strengthening the brand, which may trump any other measurement in popular culture. And not many brands are as high profile as LeBron's these days, even though he still has his critics. With Forbes reporting LeBron's endorsement income at $42 million last year, he trails only Tiger Woods, Roger Federer ($65 million each) and Phil Mickelson ($44 million) in that category. But Forbes also reports that his second NBA title will probably mean a $5 million to $7 million increase in endorsement income in 2013 (and that estimate could be conservative given that NBA 2K14 is going to be LeBron's first video game cover). You wonder how much Peyton Manning's endorsement portfolio is worth? It was estimated by Forbes to be $12 million last year. Drew Brees: $11 million. Aaron Rodgers: $6 million. Usain Bolt: $24 million.

Yet, there's no risk in terms of the strategy. Forbes reports that LeBron is the highest-ranked athlete in the world and 23rd overall in terms of his "web rank," meaning he's ahead of Tiger, David Beckham, Kobe, Cristiano Ronaldo, Lionel Messi and, for that matter, Tom Cruise and Reese Witherspoon. Forbes ranks LeBron 15th in celebrity power, behind people like Jennifer Lopez, Oprah Winfrey and Justin Bieber, but ahead of every athlete except Tiger.

Lebron is bigger in the USA and on a global scale.

RulerSlick
07-27-2013, 05:40 PM

false..read my above post.

TmacBryant
07-27-2013, 06:34 PM
The championship? Even if Kobe was healthy they were not getting past the 2nd round if that.

No I am talking about the popular vote. I think he could have won if he stayed healthy he would have had a good comeback story with the lakers and probably a great chance at winning the popular vote.

Rush
07-27-2013, 07:01 PM
Closed. This isn't really news and will be a bait fest.