PDA

View Full Version : WHY sox fan always throw players under da bus?

Standing Room
07-25-2013, 11:35 PM
+1

As stated on another thread.................

Some of you guys really do see the forest for the trees.

Many of you did the following:

Ran all over Dice K as he tried to pitch thru pain and he had TJ surgery

Ran all over Lackey as he tried to pitch thru pain and he had TJ surgery. BTW Dr was shocked he could even throw a baseball.

ran all over Hanrahan as he tried to pitch thru right shoulder pain and he had TJ surgery..

ran all over Bailey as he tried to pitch thru right shoulder pain and he is out with shoulder surgery

ran all over KALISH as he tried to play thru right shoulder pain and he is out with shoulder surgery

u are now running all over Clay and he has right shoulder pain..??????

DO YOU SEE SOME COORELATION IN A FANS ABILITY TO DIAGNOSE A PLAYERS PAIN AND PAIN THRESHOLD.

LOVE my Red Sox, Bs, Cs, Pats and enjoy the ride every year.

Gormans Mic
07-26-2013, 06:14 AM
Da wheels on da bus go round da round round da round round da round, the wheels on da bus.... I don't get why you da generalizing everyone as da same?

bagwell368
07-26-2013, 06:27 AM

He was over hyped and sucked before he was ever hurt.

Ran all over Lackey as he tried to pitch thru pain and he had TJ surgery. BTW Dr was shocked he could even throw a baseball.

Ditto, and then of course there is the Lackey who divorced his wife in the middle of her breast cancer issues, and "chicken" Lackey too.

ran all over Hanrahan as he tried to pitch thru right shoulder pain and he had TJ surgery..

He showed up to camp morbidly obese. He was done before hardly anyone even bothered to let him have it.

ran all over Bailey as he tried to pitch thru right shoulder pain and he is out with shoulder surgery

As usual Beane deals only damaged goods.

ran all over KALISH as he tried to play thru right shoulder pain and he is out with shoulder surgery

There was a great deal of patience shown with Kalish, your agenda is driving you to "make" points that are ridiculous.

Clay is a talented and delicate flower. People have been patient with him, but, they'd like him to get his rehab done with.

DO YOU SEE SOME COORELATION IN A FANS ABILITY TO DIAGNOSE A PLAYERS PAIN AND PAIN THRESHOLD.

I see someone with an axe to grind. It doesn't make critical fans any less a fan than pink hat hero worshipers such as yourself.

RedSoxtober
07-26-2013, 01:50 PM
What the heck, I'll take a slightly different stab than Bags...

+1

As stated on another thread.................

Some of you guys really do see the forest for the trees.

Um, no. Fans were all over Dice-K because his performance was terrible. Most were begging for him to be REMOVED (not reinstated) from the rotation well before injuries forced him away. He also drew the ire of many inside the Sox organization because he refused to adapt to the US style of training; that was their own fault because they let him do as he pleased. He also had a target on his back for complaining to the JAPANESE media about various aspects of playing for the Sox while he... wasn't playing for the Sox.

Again, this pitcher was savaged because of his terrible performance. In case you missed it, he was the second highest paid player on the team while posting an ERA+ of 99 and then 67 in the first two years of his contract. His 2011 campaign was not simply bad. It was historically bad. The 6.41ERA is one of the ALL TIME worst single season ERAs for a qualifying starting pitcher in MLB history and he did that as the second highest paid pitcher on the staff.

Now you might think it unfair that we complain about results in such circumstances. He was, after all, pitching through pain. But have you paused to consider WHY he was pitching through pain? It couldn't be that he hid the elbow pain until he was physically incapable of pitching at all... because he had a clause that would trigger a team option for $500K in 2015 could it? Nah.

Sorry, this is a flat out lie. His ST was fine. As Opening Day arrived his pitches became flat and he started having trouble locating. Fans spewed venom when he allowed all five Orioles he faced to score enroute to a walkoff win but that happens all the time (the venom part). And note that that was BEFORE he was hurt enough to go on the DL. If there was an injury he had not disclosed it so why would he get s

Again, complete fabrication. Bailey was AMAZING prior to his DL stint. 1.46ERA, .143/.213/.256 slash against, 20K/4BB/12.1IP. Most were surprised when he went on the DL and got frustrated when it was said to be a 15 day stint that stretched beyond 3 weeks. But it was Bailey who insisted that he was ready and didn't need a rehab stint (the Sox made him do it anyway). He was fine enough when he returned to jump into the CL role for two weeks without a problem. Then he blew a save and it looked like we were back to the same sucky CL role we've had for a season and a half. We complained about PERFORMANCE for two weeks. He quietly righted himself as the calendar turned to July. Most fans (myself included) saw his rebounding as one of the most positive signs for the second half. Without a word he went to the DL at the all star break and now he's done for... ever.

When exactly was there any clamoring for him to pitch through pain? Or complaining about results when he pitched with pain (still justifiable as he should have notified the staff)? Before you answer, remember that the best three weeks of his season were the weeks leading up to BOTH DL stints.

What in the world are you talking about? There are plenty of people who speculated that his career was done due to the shoulder surgery but on one has complained about his performance or railed on him for milking the injury. There are some who (incorrectly, I think) call him injury prone though he appears to have had a single issue that required multiple surgeries to correct. Being frustrated that a talented kid with power potential can't avoid time in the doctors office is not the same as harping on him for not playing with pain. Not even remotely close.

The answer on this one is dead simple. You're fishing for players with injuries because of...

...this. Finally we get to the bottom line. You don't really care about the other players, you just tried to string together a bunch of guys with injuries who provoked ire from Sox fans for a variety of different reasons but generally because of their PERFORMANCE not their lack of desire to get on the mound.

In very stark contrast to EVERY ONE of the players mentioned, the doctors have said, "Clay, there is no injury there." Things like surgery and the comment to Lackey about how amazing it was that he was able to pitch at all might be construed to suggest that the doctors in THOSE cases found clear evidence of damage. With Clay, not so much. In fact, the Sox docs said bursitis before he went to Dr. Andrews and Dr. Andrews did not disagree (this is why Farrell believes that Buchholz should be able to pitch with a clear mind after hearing the report to the team).

Here's where the paths divide. The team heard a similar diagnosis. They are battling to remain in first place, clinging to a half-game lead. They NEED their best starter from this season back on the mound. All the docs involved have said that there is no structural damage, nor is there any potential for structural damage. They want him to go. Buccholz, however, feels some pain and is worried about hurting himself further. He jumped on a comment from Dr. Andrews (it could turn into something) but apparently without any critical examination. How could it turn into something? Because of over compensating? What could be done to avoid it? These are all questions left unanswered.

It's also worth noting two other things about the Buchholz scenario. First, Buchholz said, "if it were September I would be pitching." The simple, obvious meaning behind this is that he would pitch through the pain if the games were really important. Check the schedule; they ARE really important when you consider they're in the midst of their toughest strength until early SEP. Lose it now and September wont matter. Second, Buchholz also said "I don't want to do it because I've never had to do it. (emphasis his)" He's never had to do what? Pitch with any kind of pain. Check his track record. He has NEVER made every start in a season. With those comments Buchholz' pattern becomes clear: he doesn't want to pick up a ball if he feels ANY pain because he doesn't "have to".

Buchholz has hung himself with his own candid admissions. He's a talented but fragile pitcher. Comparison's to JD Drew are probably more accurate than most realize -- very talented when on the field but willing to sit in the middle of a hot streak if things don't feel quite right. For a fan base that has the likes of Pedroia leading their vicarious charge such self-protection is a bit narcissistic. It's fair to wonder if he has the mental makeup to lead a team deep into the playoffs. There will very clearly never be a bloody sock in his future. Never, ever.

From my perspective the scenario is pretty simple. I expect nothing from him. I'm frustrated that we can't get a talented kind on the mound and I question his mental toughness but I'm not mad at him. He is irrelevant until he gets on the mound. Until then I'd just as soon get Peavy and let a bulldog (who HAS pitched through shoulder pain!) help lead the charge. With a surplus of pitching talent I would then pursue a new home for Buchholz; his team-friendly contract terms and the allure of his pitching talent should net quite a package from a deep farm system like the Royals' and the "are they still playing" obscurity of baseball in Jefferson County, MO should be the perfect place for Buchholz to pitch whenever he feels right.

Why yes, I do. I see at least one fan with an obvious disregard for context and performance.

Pittz
07-26-2013, 02:00 PM
Bags and RST smackdown. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ypot3CYECwE) :speechless:

Nomar
07-26-2013, 03:15 PM
Coorelation... probably a potential Coors promotion in there.

RedSoxtober
07-26-2013, 04:36 PM
Bags and RST smackdown. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ypot3CYECwE) :speechless:

:cheers:

ruckus16969
07-26-2013, 08:02 PM
LOL @ this