PDA

View Full Version : zo vs dwight

MTar786
07-25-2013, 10:02 PM
I always felt these two were the most comparable. But Dwight has been so over rated people used to compare him to shaq lol. Now that everyone can finally see what Dwight is like how do you think he stacks up against mourning,? I think it's really close but I give the slight edge to Alonzo due to the fact that he was better all around and was a lot more intense.

Slug3
07-25-2013, 10:05 PM
Zo was a better defender, had better offense and most importantly had a lot of heart.

TrueFan420
07-25-2013, 10:06 PM
What a surprise a Laker fan started this thread

TrueFan420
07-25-2013, 10:07 PM
No need to close this thread but move it to the player comparison forum

Pierzynski4Prez
07-25-2013, 10:28 PM
Zo hands down

luravua
07-25-2013, 10:29 PM
What a surprise a Laker fan started this threadhttp://www.camj.info/7j1.jpg

bucketss
07-25-2013, 10:35 PM

flgatorsandjags
07-25-2013, 10:49 PM

Chacarron
07-25-2013, 10:59 PM
Zo played against better centers.

Bookey
07-25-2013, 11:06 PM
During Zo's prime there was about 4 or 5 centers in the league that were better than him. In today's game with a lack of elite centers he would be the best center in the league.

UPRock
07-25-2013, 11:19 PM
Zo is much better than Howard, truly a Legend.

b@llhog24
07-25-2013, 11:33 PM

naps
07-25-2013, 11:36 PM
Zo.

Most people here never seen prime Zo play so I wouldn't be surprised if a lot people say Dwight.

asandhu23
07-25-2013, 11:41 PM

Lim
07-26-2013, 12:53 AM
When its all said and done? Dwight.

shep33
07-26-2013, 12:56 AM
Zo was a good offensive player. Little hook was a beauty, plus he could hit jumpers and free throws.

Howard is still a great player, but let's be real he'd be like the 6th best center if this were the mid 90s.

Shaq
Hakeem
Robinson
Ewing
Zo

Then you had guys like Smits, Brad Dougherty, and Vlade who were all pretty solid themselves. Dwight is better than these guys though.

Ty Fast
07-26-2013, 01:25 AM

ya no kidding
shaq
hakeem
ewing
robinson
luc Longley (kidding lol)

shep33
07-26-2013, 01:27 AM
ya no kidding
shaq
hakeem
ewing
robinson

Yup, also guys like Smits, Dikemebe, Doherty, etc. weren't scrubs either.

UPRock
07-26-2013, 01:30 AM
ya no kidding
shaq
hakeem
ewing
robinson

They're all #1 centers in our league, except Longley lol

shep33
07-26-2013, 01:34 AM
Still, Dwight is arguably the best center in the NBA today. Pretty darn good player

JNA17
07-26-2013, 01:46 AM
What a surprise, a Laker fan started this thread.

Wait...

Mr_Jones
07-26-2013, 01:55 AM
What a surprise **** you

Asik's better
07-26-2013, 04:48 AM
What a suprise, a Laker fan started this thread.

FOBolous
07-26-2013, 05:18 AM
dwight was compared to shaq NOT because he is as good as shaq but because they are dominant for the same reasons...their size, strength, and athleticism.

hidalgo
07-26-2013, 06:31 AM
Mourning for sure. in his prime now, he'd be the best center in the game for sure

eso
07-26-2013, 06:50 AM
I loved that Charlotte all undersized team (please correct me is the heights are wrong)

Center, Zo at 6'10"
PF, LJ at 6'7"
SF, Kendal Gill at 6'5"
SG, Old man Curry at 6'3"
PG, Muggsy at 5'3"

That team was sick

PhillyFaninLA
07-26-2013, 06:58 AM
Lakers fans is ok to be sad

eso
07-26-2013, 07:17 AM

As a Lakers fan I am sad that the big clown left, Healthy Howard equals best big in the NBA at the moment and any body who says we are better off without him is delusional, the what ifs from that team from last year damn..

eso
07-26-2013, 07:18 AM

Are you sad Bynum left? Healthy he is arguable as good as Dwight?

kblo247
07-26-2013, 07:18 AM
Zo if you watched him pre kidney as a Heat or Hornet. He is the player Dwight may become and should be compared to build wise, but Zo had him skillw wise

ldawg
07-26-2013, 07:32 AM
Have to role with Zo. Howard was almost a ben Wallace. But He is the best center in the NBA today and he put you in great position to win you games. Parsons can fire away Knowing Howard is in the paint.

PhillyFaninLA
07-26-2013, 07:40 AM
Are you sad Bynum left? Healthy he is arguable as good as Dwight?

Not sad....we are going in a better direction and not stuck in the middle. With some luck we can have Carter-Williams, Noles, Wiggins, (whoever we get with the Pelicans pick) and have about $40 million is salary cap next offseason....beats being stuck as mediocre.

basch152
07-26-2013, 07:59 AM
Is Dwight even a top 10 big man(PF/C) if he plays in the 90s?

Olajuwon
Mourning
Robinson
Ewing
Malone
Webber(this guy is sooo underrated, great ball skills, court vision, post skills, elith athleticism, and a good shot for a PF, if not for injuries we might be putting him in the argument with several others for greatest PF of all time.
Mutombo
Shaq
Barkley

9 for sure better than him just off the top of my head, and that's if we're not counting Duncan and Garnett who emerged in the late 90s.

MTar786
07-26-2013, 08:30 AM

Olajuwon
Mourning
Robinson
Ewing
Malone
Webber(this guy is sooo underrated, great ball skills, court vision, post skills, elith athleticism, and a good shot for a PF, if not for injuries we might be putting him in the argument with several others for greatest PF of all time.
Mutombo
Shaq
Barkley

9 for sure better than him just off the top of my head, and that's if we're not counting Duncan and Garnett who emerged in the late 90s.

You forgot kg and Duncan too. Maybe even rasheed Wallace.

basch152
07-26-2013, 08:34 AM
You forgot kg and Duncan too. Maybe even rasheed Wallace.

I mentioned them. Read the last line at the end.

kblo247
07-26-2013, 08:38 AM
As in all bigs? Hell no.

You forgot Sheed who gave him hell. Even entering the early part of the millennium to 04/05 he is still behind Shaq, Webber, Sheed, Dirk, Malone, KG, Tim, Yao, and JO

MTar786
07-26-2013, 08:43 AM
Lol my bad basch

MTar786
07-26-2013, 08:52 AM
Come to think of it even in the early 2000's were stacked with power forwards and big men

Blazers had sheed, jo, Grant sabonis and Randolph

Kings had Webber and vlade

Lakers had shaq

Spurs had Duncan and Robinson

Jazz had malone

Rockets had Yao and Barkley just before that.

Mavs had Dirk

Wolves had Kevin garnett

Heat had zo

Hawks,nuggets and 6ers had mutombo

Hawks had shareef abdurahim

Clippers had Odom and brand
Etc etc

kblo247
07-26-2013, 08:55 AM
Kenyon pre micro fracture playing in Jersey was a force as well

rlendensky
07-26-2013, 09:14 AM
At the end of the day, Dwight. You can't compare half a career to a full career. Dwight has top 50 player of all time potential - Zo is a hall of famer, but not in that class.

rlendensky
07-26-2013, 09:16 AM
Have to role with Zo. Howard was almost a ben Wallace. But He is the best center in the NBA today and he put you in great position to win you games. Parsons can fire away Knowing Howard is in the paint.

Comparing Howard to Ben Wallace is hands down the worst comparison i've ever read in this forum. Dwight averages 20 PPG i don't think Ben Wallace has ever scored 20 points in his life.

eso
07-26-2013, 09:20 AM
At the end of the day, Dwight. You can't compare half a career to a full career. Dwight has top 50 player of all time potential - Zo is a hall of famer, but not in that class.

Dwight does not have top 50 of all time potential sorry. He is great but a lot of greater players are already out of the top 50

rlendensky
07-26-2013, 09:28 AM
Which stat line would you prefer?

18.9 career PPG; 12.9 RPG, 2.2 BPG
17.1 PPG; 8.5 RPG; 2.8 BPG
20.2 PPG; 11.1 RPG; 2.2 BPG

One is Dwight, one is Tim Duncan, one is Zo.

ATX
07-26-2013, 09:34 AM

:confused:

Zo is clearly imo in Howard's class as a player. If it wasn't for having his kidney disease and subsequent transplant, he'd of had more than 8 seasons as an undersized center who pulled down 20 and 10 regularly. His career threatening FSGS arose during his prime. After the transplant he had to settle as a competent role player. One the all time best shot blockers, and a passion and heart for the game Dwight will never sniff.

ATX
07-26-2013, 09:35 AM
Which stat line would you prefer?

18.9 career PPG; 12.9 RPG, 2.2 BPG
17.1 PPG; 8.5 RPG; 2.8 BPG
20.2 PPG; 11.1 RPG; 2.2 BPG

One is Dwight, one is Tim Duncan, one is Zo.

You MUST consider Mourning's battle with FSGS (Kidney disease).

rlendensky
07-26-2013, 09:38 AM
You MUST consider Mourning's battle with FSGS (Kidney disease).

Absolutely, now compare the Duncan (arguable the best PF of all time) to Howard. 1 less point but 2 more rebounds? Sounds like a wash to me, maybe even a lean in favor of Howard (who also played on much worse teams mind you).

C_Mund
07-26-2013, 09:40 AM
Zo can eat ****. Refusing to play for the Raptors *** mother****er

rlendensky
07-26-2013, 09:43 AM
Zo can eat ****. Refusing to play for the Raptors *** mother****er

******* i'd refuse to play for the raptors too...

C_Mund
07-26-2013, 09:43 AM
******* i'd refuse to play for the raptors too...

Haha, as opposed to what you're doing now?

C_Mund
07-26-2013, 09:48 AM
Kenyon pre micro fracture playing in Jersey was a force as well

Big time. I'm a Martin apologist, but I truly believe he could have been a HOF player if he didn't have such bad knees and back.

ATX
07-26-2013, 09:50 AM
I would never put Duncan...

and Howard

in the

same

sentence.

C_Mund
07-26-2013, 09:53 AM
I would never put Duncan...

and Howard

in the

same

sentence.

Well put.

As much as I respect Zo's early game I still wouldn't put him near Duncan either.

REKAL
07-26-2013, 10:02 AM
What a thread, A Laker fan started this surprise

basch152
07-26-2013, 10:16 AM
Absolutely, now compare the Duncan (arguable the best PF of all time) to Howard. 1 less point but 2 more rebounds? Sounds like a wash to me, maybe even a lean in favor of Howard (who also played on much worse teams mind you).

LOLOLOLOL. If you think Howard is even remotely close to Duncan you're a fool.

Stats never, ever tell the full story.

Howard has almost literally no offense at all, he has a handful of moves, but most of his points come from offensive putbacks or a good pass. His game doesn't need to be respected like the other players I listed did, and he's not as good of a defender as about any of them either.

As I said, if Howard plays in the 90s, he's probably not even a top 10 big man in the NBA, and we barely remember who he is anymore.

NYCkid12
07-26-2013, 10:20 AM
Come to think of it even in the early 2000's were stacked with power forwards and big men

Blazers had sheed, jo, Grant sabonis and Randolph

Kings had Webber and vlade

Lakers had shaq

Spurs had Duncan and Robinson

Jazz had malone

Rockets had Yao and Barkley just before that.

Mavs had Dirk

Wolves had Kevin garnett

Heat had zo

Hawks,nuggets and 6ers had mutombo

Hawks had shareef abdurahim

Clippers had Odom and brand
Etc etc

IDK if your comparing these two vs Dwight....but Odom and Brand are not in Dwight's league

To go to the original question, I think Dwight has the potential to be better than Zo, and I think its a great comparison...however at this point I think I'd take Zo for the simple fact that he was battle tested against some of the best bigs the game has seen

NYCkid12
07-26-2013, 10:25 AM

Howard has almost literally no offense at all, he has a handful of moves, but most of his points come from offensive putbacks or a good pass. His game doesn't need to be respected like the other players I listed did, and he's not as good of a defender as about any of them either.

As I said, if Howard plays in the 90s, he's probably not even a top 10 big man in the NBA, and we barely remember who he is anymore.

But we're not in the 90s, it's hard to compare "if he played in the 90s" because he wouldn't be the same type of player...he would learn to be more physical of a player

AND I will definitely agree he's no where near the offensive player the guys you mentioned are but defensively he is right there with all of them, if not better...a lot of people are thinking of the Dwight from last year with LA but for his whole career with Orlando he was an absolute dominant force on D

Bookey
07-26-2013, 10:30 AM
IDK if your comparing these two vs Dwight....but Odom and Brand are not in Dwight's league

To go to the original question, I think Dwight has the potential to be better than Zo, and I think its a great comparison...however at this point I think I'd take Zo for the simple fact that he was battle tested against some of the best bigs the game has seen

Elton Brand in his prime is better than Howard, he had great offense and played great defensively. His defense was underrated

rlendensky
07-26-2013, 10:37 AM

Say what you want about Dwight's offensive shortcomings, but numbers don't lie. You don't average 20 PPG in this league without having some offensive prowlice. Kendrick Perkins is a guy with no offensive game. Tyson Chandler has no offensive game, Dwight is not either of those guys.

C_Mund
07-26-2013, 10:41 AM
Elton Brand in his prime is better than Howard, he had great offense and played great defensively. His defense was underrated

It still is, even though he's just one big lump of scar tissue

Tony_Starks
07-26-2013, 10:42 AM
Blasphemy! Zo had multiple post moves, a jumper, defense, HEART, FTs, and was money in the clutch.

Dwight has a grand total of 2 moves.

NYCkid12
07-26-2013, 10:43 AM

His defense may of been underrated but was no where close to Dwight's presence on the defensive end. And as good of an offensive player Brand was, his impact on the offensive end did not match that of Dwight's on the defensive end

Also, Brand defenitely without question was a better offensive player than Dwight but Dwight still averaged around the same points as him a game (approx18-20ppg; Brand approx 20-21ppg). I know ppg doesn't tell the whole story but it shows the bottom line.

AND Brand was never good enough to make his team a contender or serious threat for that matter, whereas Dwight had his team as a true threat for an easy 3-4 year span

Chronz
07-26-2013, 10:56 AM
I remember this thread being done before with way different results.

sp1derm00
07-26-2013, 11:22 AM
Zo was better defensively and offensively. Dwight is a better rebounder by far though.

ewing
07-26-2013, 11:45 AM
They accidentally removed Alonzo's jump shot when they took out his kidney. Prior to that he was a comparable player to Dwight. its a hard comparison to make b/c we really saw to different Alonzo's. One guy his first 6 or 7 season and a different one his next 6 or 7 seasons. I cant say with any certainly who i think was better at there best. I think Zo was a slightly better defensive presence, could shoot from outside 3 feet, and had a reasonable free throw %. I think prime Dwight is a bigger interior threat and a better rebounder

Chronz
07-26-2013, 11:51 AM
I loved that Charlotte all undersized team (please correct me is the heights are wrong)

Center, Zo at 6'10"
PF, LJ at 6'7"
SF, Kendal Gill at 6'5"
SG, Old man Curry at 6'3"
PG, Muggsy at 5'3"

That team was sick
Yea looking back, that team was intense. Made up for their lack of size tho they went big with Parish sometimes.

SteveZissou
07-26-2013, 12:01 PM
What a surprise a laker fan started this thread

b@llhog24
07-26-2013, 12:04 PM
I remember this thread being done before with way different results.

Amazing what an injury plagued year could do for player perception?

Chronz
07-26-2013, 12:16 PM
They accidentally removed Alonzo's jump shot when they took out his kidney. Prior to that he was a comparable player to Dwight. its a hard comparison to make b/c we really saw to different Alonzo's. One guy his first 6 or 7 season and a different one his next 6 or 7 seasons. I cant say with any certainly who i think was better at there best. I think Zo was a slightly better defensive presence, could shoot from outside 3 feet, and had a reasonable free throw %. I think prime Dwight is a bigger interior threat and a better rebounder

Agreed 100%. I like what you said about Zo having very different phases of his career. Its weird how Zo became a better shot blocker with age tho. I still think Prime Heat Zo was the best of the bunch but I feel like younger Zo would fit in better with this era. The no handchecking rule doesn't typically effect bigmen much but it would have helped the slashing Zo I remember.

valade16
07-26-2013, 12:40 PM
Zo was better defensively and offensively. Dwight is a better rebounder by far though.

How come I keep seeing this repeated?

IMO Dwight is a clearly better defender the Zo, and that's no knock on Zo cause he was damn good. But Dwight in his "prime" was a one of a kind defensive force...

ewing
07-26-2013, 01:15 PM

IMO Dwight is a clearly better defender the Zo, and that's no knock on Zo cause he was damn good. But Dwight in his "prime" was a one of a kind defensive force...

B/C Dwight was a one of a kind defensive force b/c he didn't play in an era with other similar defensive forces. Zo was a similar defensive force and did it while anchoring one of the best defensive teams i've ever seen. They are comparable.

NYCkid12
07-26-2013, 01:16 PM

Agreed, a lot of people keep using last year's "down" year from Dwight as a there overall opinion and don't take the dominance he had with his years in Orlando

waveycrockett
07-26-2013, 01:16 PM
Dwight. It's not close. Zo never single handidly led a team to the NBA finals like Dwight did.

NYCkid12
07-26-2013, 01:17 PM
B/C Dwight was a one of a kind defensive force b/c he didn't play in an era with other similar defensive forces. Zo was a similar defensive force and did it while anchoring one of the best defensive teams i've ever seen. They are comparable.

You can't choose what era you get to play in and I personally think Dwight would be the same defensive force that he is in the 90s also

ewing
07-26-2013, 01:23 PM
You can't choose what era you get to play in and I personally think Dwight would be the same defensive force that he is in the 90s also

Exactly, he'd be right up there with guys like Zo. he would be a defensive force but longer a one of a kind defensive force.

NYCkid12
07-26-2013, 01:27 PM
Exactly, he'd be right up there with guys like Zo. he would be a defensive force but longer a one of a kind defensive force.

He would still be the best defensive player in the league in the 90s....

ewing
07-26-2013, 01:33 PM

I don't think so. his presence in the paint is not head and shoulders above guys like Zo and Hakeem both of whom would switch out onto guards in screen role and then recover something D12 doesn't do. I don't think there is anyway to know who the best defensive center of that era is or would have been if Dwight played with them. He is definitely not clearly better though. I still think it would have been dream as a would guess most do.

JWorthy42
07-26-2013, 01:40 PM
When you compare them side by side you'd think it is pretty close, however when you compare the competition they went up against...well, Zo has an upper hand.

G-Menfan4lyfe
07-26-2013, 02:42 PM
I love seeing the love Zo is getting in this thread. Zo is my all time favorite player and as a kid it killed me when he went down with the kidney disease. I remember seeing it on ESPN and I was crushed.

In his prime years before the kidney disorder, I'd take Zo over Dwight hands down. Better offensive skill set, about equal on defense and just all around a more fiery player. Zo's career numbers are also skewed due to how his numbers went down post kidney disorder and the fact he came off the bench once he came back to Miami.

And to wavycrocket, Dwight may have single handedly lead the Magic to the Finals, but he did it in a very weak Eastern Conference. In his prime, Alonzo would have lead the Heat to the finals multiple times if he didn't have Jordan and the Bulls in his way.

Tony_Starks
07-26-2013, 02:47 PM
If you want a real comparison compare Dwight to a more athletic Ben Wallace. Pure athleticism, beast on the boards and shot blocking, limited offensively and liability at the line.

valade16
07-26-2013, 02:57 PM
If you want a real comparison compare Dwight to a more athletic Ben Wallace. Pure athleticism, beast on the boards and shot blocking, limited offensively and liability at the line.

Not to come off too harsh but the comparison is nothing alike. They are both comparable on defense and in rebounding but the difference between their offense is monumental.

Wallace never scored over 10 PPG. His FG% when he took over 6 shots a game was 42-45%. His TS% was .474. He had 2 seasons with over 3 Offensive Win Shares. Dwight Howards worse ever TS% was Wallace's best ever. and this is while taking significantly more shots...

People love to downplay Dwight's offense, and while he's certainly not a great offensive player, let's actually keep track of the fact that on his worst days he's going to give you 17 PPG and on his best it will be 20+ PPG.

That's pretty good...

JeremiahWing
07-26-2013, 03:12 PM
The fact that Howard was ever compared to Shaq or any great center is one of the most tragic "prisoner of the moment" situations I've ever seen. If he played in Shaq's time, this would have been laughed off before someone had a chance to answer.

Zo is a better comparison, but still way off. Zo was a better defender against immeasurably better competition, equally above-average offensively, and played the game with the kind of passion and intensity that Howard could never dream of.

JeremiahWing
07-26-2013, 03:17 PM
Dwight. It's not close. Zo never single handidly led a team to the NBA finals like Dwight did.

I don't even know what to say to this inanity.

Do you really want to compare the talent level for bigs (even if you just stuck to the eastern conference) in Zo's era to now? Give me one center Dwight ever had to guard that would crack the top 7 in Zo's time.

blahblahyoutoo
07-26-2013, 03:21 PM
zo by far.

FOBolous
07-26-2013, 03:24 PM
Blasphemy! Zo had multiple post moves, a jumper, defense, HEART, FTs, and was money in the clutch.

Dwight has a grand total of 2 moves.

you know what Dwight has that Zo doesn't? A kidney.

was that a bad joke?

blahblahyoutoo
07-26-2013, 03:25 PM
Say what you want about Dwight's offensive shortcomings, but numbers don't lie. You don't average 20 PPG in this league without having some offensive prowlice. Kendrick Perkins is a guy with no offensive game. Tyson Chandler has no offensive game, Dwight is not either of those guys.

are you for real with this or does your autocorrect operate on a different language?

Tony_Starks
07-26-2013, 03:29 PM
Not to come off too harsh but the comparison is nothing alike. They are both comparable on defense and in rebounding but the difference between their offense is monumental.

Wallace never scored over 10 PPG. His FG% when he took over 6 shots a game was 42-45%. His TS% was .474. He had 2 seasons with over 3 Offensive Win Shares. Dwight Howards worse ever TS% was Wallace's best ever. and this is while taking significantly more shots...

People love to downplay Dwight's offense, and while he's certainly not a great offensive player, let's actually keep track of the fact that on his worst days he's going to give you 17 PPG and on his best it will be 20+ PPG.

That's pretty good...

What your numbers don't take into account is Big Ben didn't even attempt to shoot he was a last resort, almost a Rodman. Dwight gets the offense ran through him. Now he is better than Ben offensively but his post game is still horrid. A lot of his points come from dunks, put backs, and free throws. Post are the minority.

He's more effective on the move but unfortunately doesn't like the P & R. He fancies himself some kind of back to basket center, especially after Shaq got on him.

Instead of 20 and 10 Dwight should be trying to get 12 and 20....

BenFrank
07-26-2013, 03:31 PM
If i'm not Mistaken, isn't Dwight the First and Only player to win DPY 3 times in a row..

That's gotta count for something, I don't care who he's playing against..

justinnum1
07-26-2013, 04:12 PM
zo for sure

JeremiahWing
07-26-2013, 04:24 PM
If i'm not Mistaken, isn't Dwight the First and Only player to win DPY 3 times in a row..

That's gotta count for something, I don't care who he's playing against..

In this era? Less than you'd think...

JeremiahWing
07-26-2013, 04:27 PM
lol Tyson Chandler, anyone?

NYCkid12
07-26-2013, 04:46 PM
lol Tyson Chandler, anyone?

Your talking about Tyson Chandler in the class of Dwight? You want to talk about no offense with Dwight, what does that say about Chandler

NYCkid12
07-26-2013, 04:48 PM

This is such a bad comparison.....

I read your later post defending it but its still bad. Sorry but Dwight is like Hakeem offensively compared to Ben Wallace. Defensively is more of a conversation, but offensively its a joke of a comparison

Why does everyone forget this is a guy who anchored a team to the finals?

valade16
07-26-2013, 04:59 PM
What your numbers don't take into account is Big Ben didn't even attempt to shoot he was a last resort, almost a Rodman. Dwight gets the offense ran through him. Now he is better than Ben offensively but his post game is still horrid. A lot of his points come from dunks, put backs, and free throws. Post are the minority.

He's more effective on the move but unfortunately doesn't like the P & R. He fancies himself some kind of back to basket center, especially after Shaq got on him.

Instead of 20 and 10 Dwight should be trying to get 12 and 20....

Big Ben didn't attempt to shoot because he was atrocious at it. Dwight Howard is hands down better at scoring than Big Ben. In any way and in every facet. You can only call Dwight's Post moves horrible if you live in a world devoid of Big Ben's post moves. Now, those are horrible. And it is by such a wide margin that the comparison is truly laughable.

JeremiahWing
07-26-2013, 05:05 PM
Your talking about Tyson Chandler in the class of Dwight? You want to talk about no offense with Dwight, what does that say about Chandler

I'm commenting on how much the DPOY award means in this era if Tyson Chandler can win it.

JeremiahWing
07-26-2013, 05:06 PM

I read your later post defending it but its still bad. Sorry but Dwight is like Hakeem offensively compared to Ben Wallace. Defensively is more of a conversation, but offensively its a joke of a comparison

How old are you?

NYCkid12
07-26-2013, 05:33 PM
How old are you?

Before you even start, I'm not comparing Dwight to Hakeem....pointing out how much better of an offensive player Dwight is compared to Ben Wallace

NYCkid12
07-26-2013, 05:34 PM
I'm commenting on how much the DPOY award means in this era if Tyson Chandler can win it.

Ah I get what it now, I didn't catch on to what you meant

JeremiahWing
07-26-2013, 05:50 PM
Before you even start, I'm not comparing Dwight to Hakeem....pointing out how much better of an offensive player Dwight is compared to Ben Wallace

That I will agree with.

But I wouldn't even entertain the debate about Dwight v Prime Zo.

effen5
07-26-2013, 06:54 PM

That was a slap on the face to Hakeem. Hakeem was just a ridiculous player.

amos1er
07-26-2013, 07:19 PM
Comparison forum???

amos1er
07-26-2013, 07:20 PM
Thats usually what the mods do to me when I make threads like this.

Tony_Starks
07-26-2013, 11:27 PM

Please tell me what his offensive game is? I've watched him since him came in the league and I've seen a running hook that sonstimes goes sometimes misses the entire rim, and a little face up shimmy move that sometimes goes sometimes results in a charge. That's it.

Other than that, specifically what post moves does he have? Alley oops don't count.

Big Zo
07-27-2013, 02:27 AM
Thats usually what the mods do to me when I make threads like this.

Difference is you're poor, and nobody likes you.

SportsFanatic10
07-27-2013, 06:47 AM
zo, played against tougher competition. dwight is close to his level though, and it shows up more with this weak era of centers.

stawka
07-27-2013, 06:53 AM
Dwight and Zo are a good comparison though. Both great defenders, big guys who are limited on the offensive end

Dwight owns Ben on offence, Dwight owns Chandler on offence. Can't compare him to those guys, but Zo is 10 fold better than Dwight

I'd take Dwight over Ben and Tyse, but Zo ANYDAY over either of them. Plus, Zo had the heart of a damn lion!

SportsFanatic10
07-27-2013, 07:12 AM
ya zo's heart is something dwight will never have.

ewmania
07-27-2013, 07:15 AM
dwight got a mediocre team to the finals as the main guy

zo didn't... i'm picking dwight.... zo wasn't a better defender than howard

SportsFanatic10
07-27-2013, 07:21 AM

it's a good argument. but it was also in a league where a zo/howard level center is easily the best in the league. he had a team built around him with plenty of outside shooters, i don't think zo got the same opportunity in a stronger center era.

ewmania
07-27-2013, 07:25 AM
lol did somebody seriously compare dwight's offense to ben wallace offense

LOL in 04' season Ben wallace attempted 748 FGs and shot 42%... dwight howard attempted 724 FGs in 12' season and shot 57%.. also dwight only had 200 OFF rebs that year... Ben wallace had 324 OFF rebs that year so obviously he couldn't even put most of them back in the basket

whoever made that statement please leave the internet forever

now if you said ben wallace was a better defender, then I would agree because ben wallace was a godly defender

ldawg
07-27-2013, 07:32 AM

zo didn't... i'm picking dwight.... zo wasn't a better defender than howarddifferent circumstances. When the Magic went to the finals the East was pretty weak its no fluke he never returned once the players who help get him there started to fall off. No one player goes to the finals.

ldawg
07-27-2013, 07:39 AM
lol did somebody seriously compare dwight's offense to ben wallace offense

LOL in 04' season Ben wallace attempted 748 FGs and shot 42%... dwight howard attempted 724 FGs in 12' season and shot 57%.. also dwight only had 200 OFF rebs that year... Ben wallace had 324 OFF rebs that year so obviously he couldn't even put most of them back in the basket

whoever made that statement please leave the internet forever

now if you said ben wallace was a better defender, then I would agree because ben wallace was a godly defender
Howard falls between Ben Wallace and Shaq. Not as Bad offensively as Ben and Not as dominant as Shaq. Shaq was also a better post player But style of play and weak points in their game is very similar. Especially at the line. Howard does better than Ben skill wise because he is bigger more active and athletic so he plays more above the rim. In this case size does matter the bigger the better Ben<Howard<Shaq.

naps
07-27-2013, 07:43 AM

Is this a joke? Zo anchored his team going up against arguably the greatest generation of bigmen. You know the likes of Shaq, Ewing, Hakeem, Barkley, Malone, Robinson, KG, Duncan etc. I would have loved to see Dwight go against them instead of Noah, Chandler, Kaman, Perkins etc.

ldawg
07-27-2013, 07:56 AM
Is this a joke? Zo anchored his team going up against arguably the greatest generation of bigmen. You know the likes of Shaq, Ewing, Hakeem, Barkley, Malone, Robinson, KG, Duncan etc. I would have loved to see Dwight go against them instead of Noah, Chandler, Kaman, Perkins etc.The major advantage of zo is he was skilled. He had skills to play both PF/c Howard is in a pf body with limited skills at center. Zo is by far the better player because of his motor but both player make great centers in their own way. I think Howard mentality hold him back when you look at both players. Howard is just not as intense. Some things come easy for people and then they get complacent. Thats why you hear the term it and you just cant explain. Its what pushes a person to max out their potential. A player like Howard may never reach his full potential while a lesser player exceeds his.

dodie53
07-27-2013, 08:02 AM

ldawg
07-27-2013, 08:18 AM
Howard dont have that over drive. He is ok at being very good. He said it himself he is a successful player simply because he has been in the nba 9 years when the average is 3 and he dont need rings. He will seek happiness once he finds it he has made it its all good.

ldawg
07-27-2013, 08:19 AM
What a surprise a Laker fan started this thread someone may want to pattern that saying could be worth millions.

beasted86
07-27-2013, 09:37 AM

Did Dwight have to go through Michael Jordan multiple times?

Big Zo
07-27-2013, 10:30 AM

Sorry, but that's some stupid *** reasoning there. Zo was much more skilled offensively, and just as good, if not a better defender. Dwight played in a cupcake Eastern Conference, and basically got to the finals by default, since KG was out for the Celtics.

MagicBucsSox
07-27-2013, 11:26 AM
Zo is much better than Howard, truly a Legend.

I wouldn't say legend, at all. He's in the hall of very good players

envymamba24
07-27-2013, 11:29 AM

Truth

Slug3
07-27-2013, 11:30 AM

Then you never watched Zo actually play. I'm not saying Zo blows Howard away, but Zo was better.

SportsFanatic10
07-27-2013, 12:18 PM
Then you never watched Zo actually play. I'm not saying Zo blows Howard away, but Zo was better.

yep for sure. howard is the best center in the nba, but we're talking about a different era, and zo was slightly better and went up against better competition at the 5 spot.

TheNumber37
07-27-2013, 12:29 PM
When it's all said and done? ZO will have more rings.

IKnowHoops
07-27-2013, 03:00 PM

Olajuwon
Mourning
Robinson
Ewing
Malone
Mutombo
Shaq
Barkley

I would personally take a healthy dwight over Mutombo, but nobody else. I'd take Rasheed,KG,Duncan for sure. Probably Shawn Kemp.

True Sports Fan
07-27-2013, 03:34 PM
What a suprise, a Laker fan started this thread.

True Sports Fan
07-27-2013, 03:35 PM

Dwight wouldn't lead the Magic to the finals if they were in the west.

ewmania
07-27-2013, 04:33 PM
dwight is a better rebounder, he's a better defender... he's more athletic ... he's more EFF

come on lets seriously not get carried away here with this talk. alonzo was a great player HOF

but he isn't better than howard

Heatcheck
07-27-2013, 05:53 PM
dwight is a better rebounder, he's a better defender... he's more athletic ... he's more EFF

come on lets seriously not get carried away here with this talk. alonzo was a great player HOF

i think the point is that he looks that way because he plays now. Zos stats arent too far off, and he did it against Ewing, Robinson, Hakeem, Shaq, Duncan, Barkley, Malone, KG, Smits, Divac, Sabonis, JO in his prime. as opposed to ....

sep11ie
07-27-2013, 06:53 PM
What a surprise a Laker fan started this.

shizzle09
07-27-2013, 09:23 PM
holy **** this isn't even close. Zo's skills were comparable while his heart is 100 times bigger. Zo all day.

dwoyo
07-27-2013, 10:08 PM
As a heat fan, I don't know whether or not I can provide a non-biased opinion...

Alonzo all day. Played with way more heart and soul than Dwight. Strong defensive presence. Would rather have Alonzo at his prime than Dwight in his Orlando NBA Finals prime.

ewing
07-27-2013, 11:49 PM
Howard falls between Ben Wallace and Shaq. Not as Bad offensively as Ben and Not as dominant as Shaq. Shaq was also a better post player But style of play and weak points in their game is very similar. Especially at the line. Howard does better than Ben skill wise because he is bigger more active and athletic so he plays more above the rim. In this case size does matter the bigger the better Ben<Howard<Shaq.

who doesn't fall between those 2 offensively? I might

rocketfuel
07-28-2013, 05:27 AM
It would be interesting to get the real heights of Zo, Dwight and Hakeem. That list of bigs in the 90s is pretty impressive. Forgot how good the big men were back then. If you put prime Zo on Dwight's teams, how would they perform?

Prime Kemp is very under rated. Wonder how prime Weber stacks up against the greats.

ldawg
07-28-2013, 07:47 AM

but he isn't better than howardNo. Howard is more athletic and a better rebounder that it. Post kidney Morning was better in every other aspect of the game.

Bostonjorge
07-28-2013, 08:17 AM
I pick Howard but not the Howard that plays now. Zo kills this Howard easily. Current Howard whould of been a journey men C in the 90's

AnthonyTyrael
07-28-2013, 08:50 AM
I like hearing all this about Zo's heart and work ethics. One guy put it this way and said that there are some players who don't live up to their natural potential. I'd say it's wasting their talents and it gets me mad. Listen Howard is a great player but I'm totally with Shaq, dude needs to dominate his postion and this league with those qualifications... in this era of the NBA.

No one brought this up yet: Zo was commonly considered being undersized.

He played above his limits most of the time to compensate his seize. Even weaker big men like Divac, Smits, Seikaly, Longley, Muresan, Bol and all these other dudes I forgot... they had more height than him, bigger hands, wingspan advantage etc.

Reading this discussion, I heard someone say that Howard was more athletic, yeah, they are both athletic but come on, Howard is athlethic with the movement of Yogi bear and a big mouth plus bad mangament while prime Zo was a work ethic guy, lean, with less talent in a sense of dominating others offensively in the paint and by having less seize in an era pumped by "BIG Men". It always looked like him and Grandma Larry Johnson spend all day in the gym.

Who remembers Zo beating the Celtics btw? That left alone isn't stinking either compared/against to Howard leading the Magic to the finals.

sep11ie
07-28-2013, 01:40 PM
Zo was overrated.

Hawkeye15
07-28-2013, 01:45 PM
as it's been brought up here, Zo played in an era of great centers, Dwight has minimal competition every night he goes out there.

But as players, they are pretty comparable. Same style. Zo had a nasty streak, and I do consider him the better individual defender. But Dwight is a far better rebounder, and a better offensive player.

Dwight is the better player, but I would like to see his numbers if he had to go out against elite centers a couple nights a week, instead of never. Alas, we can only compare players against their era's...

ldawg
07-28-2013, 04:36 PM
as it's been brought up here, Zo played in an era of great centers, Dwight has minimal competition every night he goes out there.

But as players, they are pretty comparable. Same style. Zo had a nasty streak, and I do consider him the better individual defender. But Dwight is a far better rebounder, and a better offensive player.

Dwight is the better player, but I would like to see his numbers if he had to go out against elite centers a couple nights a week, instead of never. Alas, we can only compare players against their era's...has been done already and his numbers were not good. Rebounding is Howard thing

Hawkeye15
07-28-2013, 05:44 PM
has been done already and his numbers were not good. Rebounding is Howard thing

I think Howard protected the paint better as well, though I give the nod to Zo on defending one on one. Offensively, Howard is just a bit better. The one advantage on that side Zo had, was he wasn't a horrific free throw shooter.

mrblisterdundee
07-28-2013, 06:22 PM
Howard's a slightly better rebounder. But overall, Mourning's always been slightly better, offensively and defensively, especially considering the tougher competition at center.

mrblisterdundee
07-28-2013, 06:28 PM
On a separate note, I think Andre Drummond might well be the second coming of Alonzo Mourning.

Hawkeye15
07-28-2013, 06:42 PM
Howard's a slightly better rebounder. But overall, Mourning's always been slightly better, offensively and defensively, especially considering the tougher competition at center.

Howard is a much better rebounder actually. And how are you proving that Zo was better offensively?

JeremiahWing
07-28-2013, 08:28 PM

Way to prove the other side's point.

Howard is not a HOF player.

TheLegend
07-28-2013, 08:52 PM

Dwight is the better player, but I would like to see his numbers if he had to go out against elite centers a couple nights a week, instead of never. Alas, we can only compare players against their era's...

Wow!!! Embarrassing yourself yet again. SMH. Howard a better offensive player? How??? Zo was HANDSDOWN the better offensive player, better fundamentals, and could hit a spot-up jumper. Mourning IMO is the better player.

TheLegend
07-28-2013, 08:56 PM
Howard is a much better rebounder actually. And how are you proving that Zo was better offensively?

This is something that's almost common knowledge bro. When did u start watching basketball? Howard has a slow developing post game and no jumper. Alonzo had fundamentals on the block? Do u even know what that means? It means he had a real legit post game, and he also had a outside jumper. Far as defense, I may take D-12 but its really a toss-up. Offensively there's no debate.

TheLegend
07-28-2013, 08:59 PM

That as a terrible way to think when zo had to go through the Bulls, a legendary team, to get to the finals. There was no such team in Howard's path.

ldawg
07-28-2013, 09:51 PM
Howard is a much better rebounder actually. And how are you proving that Zo was better offensively?I agree Howard is a very good rebounder thanks to his athletic ability. Zo IMO was a better shot blocker, played better smarter defense, had a way better jumper, had more passion for the game, better free throw shooter.

Tony_Starks
07-28-2013, 10:01 PM
I think Howard protected the paint better as well, though I give the nod to Zo on defending one on one. Offensively, Howard is just a bit better. The one advantage on that side Zo had, was he wasn't a horrific free throw shooter.

I'm guessing you're basing that on stats because watching them it isn't even close. Zo had jump hooks, drop steps, a face up... in other words a legit all around post game. PLUS a jumper. Dwight's arsenal of moves is laughable compared to Zos....

goku
07-28-2013, 10:19 PM
Lakers fans will say how they have moved on from Howard but create thread after thread lol Dwight Career isn't even over yet so why compare them

ldawg
07-28-2013, 10:39 PM
Lakers fans will say how they have moved on from Howard but create thread after thread lol Dwight Career isn't even over yet so why compare themI think from a basketball stand point most of us have move moved on even before he chose Houston. Do you know how many fans wanted LA to jump on the Clippers rumored deal? What you are seeing is the drama part of the game. Its now lets see what Howard can do in Houston. The same was done with Lebron. most fans that were given Lebron heat were not even Cav fans. you even had HOF Pippen, MJ, Magic, Bird, Barkley in on the action along with fans from different teams Bulls, Lakers, Ny etc and were all caught up in the drama. This is no different he will be under scope for a while. Eyes will be on not only Howard but also on Nets, Bynum how he holds up, Kobe how he returns etc. Like it or not Howard situation is 3 years old and has been a hot topic for a while and its not going to change now and it became worst when he walk away from the most popular and the second most winning team in basketball.

goku
07-28-2013, 10:59 PM
I think from a basketball stand point most of us have move moved on even before he chose Houston. Do you know how many fans wanted LA to jump on the Clippers rumored deal? What you are seeing is the drama part of the game. Its now lets see what Howard can do in Houston. The same was done with Lebron. most fans that were given Lebron heat were not even Cav fans. you even had HOF Pippen, MJ, Magic, Bird, Barkley in on the action along with fans from different teams Bulls, Lakers, Ny etc and were all caught up in the drama. This is no different he will be under scope for a while. Eyes will be on not only Howard but also on Nets, Bynum how he holds up, Kobe how he returns etc. Like it or not Howard situation is 3 years old and has been a hot topic for a while and its not going to change now and it became worst when he walk away from the most popular and the second most winning team in basketball.

its not like he promised the lakers a ring he didn't even want to be there he said it before he was traded there LeBron said he was going to win a ring for the cavs then left after being there 7 seasons ..Howard was a laker for 1 yr and it was not the same laker team from yrs ago on the court and in the front office ...

Hawkeye15
07-28-2013, 11:23 PM
Wow!!! Embarrassing yourself yet again. SMH. Howard a better offensive player? How??? Zo was HANDSDOWN the better offensive player, better fundamentals, and could hit a spot-up jumper. Mourning IMO is the better player.

I am still waiting for you to present anything despite your eye test. Until then, why are you bothering to quote and argue with me? I have literally zero respect for anything you have posted to date.

Hawkeye15
07-28-2013, 11:24 PM
I'm guessing you're basing that on stats because watching them it isn't even close. Zo had jump hooks, drop steps, a face up... in other words a legit all around post game. PLUS a jumper. Dwight's arsenal of moves is laughable compared to Zos....

No, basing it on everything. I watched Zo. Gifted defender, who was just not a great offensive player.

ldawg
07-28-2013, 11:29 PM
its not like he promised the lakers a ring he didn't even want to be there he said it before he was traded there LeBron said he was going to win a ring for the cavs then left after being there 7 seasons ..Howard was a laker for 1 yr and it was not the same laker team from yrs ago on the court and in the front office ...Because you are looking at it from a Lakers point of view. Even if he left Hawks it would still be a topic in the NBA. You have a franchise player who requested a trade. And in LA case he was the first player to case titles leaving the second most winning franchise in the biz.

mrblisterdundee
07-29-2013, 07:25 PM

Mourning averaged nearly 21.2 points per 36 minutes over his first nine years in the league, the same amount of time Howard's been in, to Howard's 18.2. His true shooting percentage was right at 58 percent, compared to Howard's 59.8 – a negligible difference. His offensive rating of 108.1 over the first nine seasons compared to Howard's 110.
When you compare all those numbers, Howard seems at least equal with Mourning, if not better. But Howard, while comparable to Mourning, is more of a garbage player dunking over and over again. I think that's why his shooting percentages are higher.
Mourning had a wider variety of moves, and he played against tougher competition at center. That to me slightly lifts him over Howard offensively, although I should stress that the two are comparable. Howard's hands down abetter rebounder, and Mourning's hands down a better shot blocker.

Hawkeye15
07-29-2013, 07:28 PM
Mourning averaged nearly 21.2 points per 36 minutes over his first nine years in the league, the same amount of time Howard's been in, to Howard's 18.2. His true shooting percentage was right at 58 percent, compared to Howard's 59.8 – a negligible difference. His offensive rating of 108.1 over the first nine seasons compared to Howard's 110.
When you compare all those numbers, Howard seems at least equal with Mourning, if not better. But Howard, while comparable to Mourning, is more of a garbage player dunking over and over again. I think that's why his shooting percentages are higher.
Mourning had a wider variety of moves, and he played against tougher competition at center. That to me slightly lifts him over Howard, although I should stress that the two are comparable.

you just showed why Dwight is superior. I am not claiming its by much, but he simply is. Also factor in the attention Dwight gets compared to what Zo received, and Dwight's offensive impact was just greater, as was his overall defensive impact, though again, I would like to concede that I think Zo was the better individual, one on one defender.

Lord Leoshes
07-29-2013, 07:34 PM
Zo was head & shoulders better than Howard. I better similarity would be a smaller Matumbo.

AIRMAR72
07-29-2013, 07:53 PM
Zo was head & shoulders better than Howard. I better similarity would be a smaller Matumbo.

very true there is NO comparason I would say antonio davis former pacer PLAYER but was better all around player compare to the over hype dwight howard when I think of dwight howard zero bigman skills.. howard and ZO only share shoulder mass NOT basketball skills or IQ for the game ZO would eat dwight howard for lunch dinner and breakfast