PDA

View Full Version : Benoit Pouliot....Am I missing something?

SLY WILLIAMS
07-25-2013, 03:47 PM
6 foot 3 and 215 pounds

The kind of skills that get you drafted 4th overall

Played on a top line with Stamkos and St. Louis at times last season.

Has wheels

Has had some very pretty goals

Decent (not great) numbers of 124 points in 291 games.

Ranger fans speak very highly of him. I personally have not seen him play much outside of highlight clips.

I look at all that and I think why did nobody including Tampa Bay offer him more than our 1.3 mill as a UFA? This is a league that goons get more than that. This is a league where Clowe gets almost 5 mill and Clarkson gets over 5 mill. What am I missing?

Rangers in 7
07-25-2013, 03:56 PM
he takes weeks off at a time, then goes on tears where hes a world beater, if he puts it all together hes a top 6 forward

SLY WILLIAMS
07-25-2013, 04:04 PM
he takes weeks off at a time, then goes on tears where hes a world beater, if he puts it all together hes a top 6 forward

That makes sense but even with that no other team wanted him at 1.3?

1.3 is basically 4th line player money on many teams for a 6th year vet. Powe makes around 1.1 and had 0 points last season. Boyle and Pyatt are at 1.7 and 1.5.

NYY09
07-25-2013, 09:35 PM
Incentives built into the contract? :shrug:

Rangers in 7
07-26-2013, 10:51 AM
teams now a days are all about consistency and not taking a chance on a player, they seem to reward prior success then just going on potential, hes worth more then that imo but you have to look at the market, there are plenty of skilled players who havent put it all together that were or are available

SLY WILLIAMS
07-26-2013, 01:54 PM
I understand the point about consistency but some players that are consistently bad get paid around that kind of salary. Besides many Rangers fans speak about him as a top 6 forward. I'm just surprised he came so cheap if he is as good as many people say. I know he has skills and size.

bsi
07-26-2013, 05:11 PM
I understand the point about consistency but some players that are consistently bad get paid around that kind of salary. Besides many Rangers fans speak about him as a top 6 forward. I'm just surprised he came so cheap if he is as good as many people say. I know he has skills and size.

Idealy he wouldn't be a top 6 player but with our left side so weak he will be but really he's gonna have good linemates whether he's on the first or the third line so he's really getting a good shot at making a career year here. Our first line needs more size than Hagelin and there's a spot for him or Kreider there depending on whether Kreider makes a jump in his progression. I'd really like to see the season start with Kreider Stepan and Nash and have it stay like that for the year but I think Pouliot is a good insurance incase Kreider doesn't. KSN is a very tough line to play against, big wingers with speed and a strong puck mover in the middle.
The best thing about Benoit is he doesn't hurt you on any line, he's a good player at both ends if he needs to be.

liltedspop
07-26-2013, 07:54 PM
Im more interested in watching him than anyone else on our roster right now. He's got superstar skills hoping this change lights a flame under his *** & he can put it together. With his size & shot he could be a game changer & it would'nt be the 1st high draft shooter to take several years to develop. This imo was the steal of the offseason low risk HUGE reward. Love this signing by Slats!

itsmillertime
07-28-2013, 01:05 PM
Essentially, Pouliot is a younger Wolski who is a much better skater. Wolski was a lazy dog who was a bad skater which made him really bad when he was lazy. Pouliot will never look as bad as Wolski. However, he won't be playing on this team if he gets lazy. He will be in the stands quick.

NYSPORTS98
07-29-2013, 05:35 PM
Something has to be missing from the equation. Talent, size, age = cheap or no interest.

bsi
07-29-2013, 07:23 PM
Something has to be missing from the equation. Talent, size, age = cheap or no interest.

It's the same thing that was missing from other equations that made up Zherdev, Frolov, Filatov,Daigle, etc etc. Consistant effort and knowing what it takes to be good every night, but the thing is with Pouliot is that he's been a useful player the last couple years and it seems he might be turning the corner but the questions are still there about his drive. At best he ends up in our top 6 and is as good as he should be, worst case he helps our bottom 6 out, because even at his worst he's still a good bottom 6 player. Probably the big thing in him signing here was on his end, he likely saw a chance to be in a top 6 role on a team that has a chance to be in the finals.

NYSPORTS98
07-29-2013, 09:09 PM
Oh gosh, Daigle. What a headcase he was. The maturity of a 9 yr old.

bsi
07-30-2013, 09:18 AM
Oh gosh, Daigle. What a headcase he was. The maturity of a 9 yr old.

Hahaha...ya man he was something wasn't he. I was watching the NHL network one day and they had the world juniors on from his draft year and he was head and shoulders above everyone in that game, it's no wonder Ottawa got sucked in. Hard to believe he went downhill so quick, got all caught up in the lifestyle.

IAmARanger18
07-30-2013, 07:19 PM
He is going to fit right in and make Pyatt more useless then he already is