PDA

View Full Version : Madison Square Garden told to move

B'sCeltsPatsSox
07-25-2013, 02:32 AM
Madison Square Garden, home to the Knicks, the Rangers, the Ice Capades, the circus and the “Fight of the Century” between Muhammad Ali and Joe Frazier in 1971, received an eviction notice of sorts on Wednesday.
Connect With NYTMetro
Metro Twitter Logo.
Follow us on Twitter and like us on Facebook for news and conversation.
The New York City Council notified the arena that it has 10 years to vacate its 45-year-old premises and find a new home, the Garden’s fifth since it opened in 1879.

By a vote of 47 to 1, the Council voted to extend the Garden’s special operating permit for merely a decade — not in perpetuity, as the owners of the Garden had requested, or 15 years, as the Bloomberg administration had intended.

Ten years should be enough time, officials said, for the Garden to find a new location and for the city to devise plans for an expanded Pennsylvania Station, which currently sits below the Garden, and the redevelopment of the surrounding neighborhood.

“This is the first step in finding a new home for Madison Square Garden and building a new Penn Station that is as great as New York and suitable for the 21st century,” said Christine C. Quinn, the City Council speaker. “This is an opportunity to reimagine and redevelop Penn Station as a world-class transportation destination.”

Ms. Quinn renewed her call for the creation of a commission to devise the plans.

Civic leaders and some developers have long sought to rebuild Penn Station, a cramped and crowded maze for the more than 500,000 people a day who traverse it. But doing so would be an enormously complicated, multibillion-dollar undertaking that has foiled officials in the past. And anything can happen in the next 10 years, including several elections for mayor and governor.

James L. Dolan, who controls the Garden, the Knicks and the Rangers, offered a low-key response to the news that barely acknowledged the 10-year deadline. Mr. Dolan expects to complete this fall a $968 million overhaul of the Garden, which has been closing in its off-seasons to accommodate the work.

“Madison Square Garden has operated at its current site for generations, and has been proud to bring New Yorkers some of the greatest and most iconic moments in sports and entertainment,” Mr. Dolan’s company said in a statement issued Wednesday afternoon. “We now look forward to the reopening of the arena in the fall of 2013.”

Mr. Dolan announced the latest renovation of the Garden in 2008, just after the last $14 billion effort to move the Garden and transform the train station collapsed amid a severe recession, insufficient financing, an absence of political leadership and overreaching by the developers selected for the job.

Late last year, the Regional Plan Association and the Municipal Art Society used the Garden’s application for an extension of its permit to resurrect the idea. The Bloomberg administration recommended a 15-year extension. But that city proposal also allowed the city’s Planning Department to further extend the permit if officials failed to come up with plans for a new station, and the Garden and the transit operators agreed on a plan for improved access to the station.

“Our goal from the outset was to improve Penn Station. In fact, our proposal would have required government leaders to come together and develop a plan to do just that,” said Julie Wood, a spokeswoman for Mayor Michael R. Bloomberg.

Critics derided the Bloomberg administration for including what they described as a loophole. Ms. Quinn, who is a Democratic candidate for mayor, called instead for a firm 10-year extension. Bill de Blasio and John C. Liu, two other candidates, also called on the Garden to move. Joseph J. Lhota, a Republican candidate and a former executive at the Garden, and William C. Thompson Jr., a Democrat, backed the Garden.

Whoa. (http://www.nytimes.com/2013/07/25/nyregion/madison-square-garden-is-told-to-move.html?partner=rss&emc=rss&smid=tw-nytimes&_r=0)

GunFactor187
07-25-2013, 02:41 AM
Wow...speechless...=/

More-Than-Most
07-25-2013, 02:46 AM
Good... Historic **** is overrated... New and shiny beats old and run down with memories any day of the week and twice on Sunday. Next up Wrigley/Lambeau/Fenway

KnickaBocka.44
07-25-2013, 02:48 AM
Bloomberg has lost his damn mind.

OceanSpray
07-25-2013, 02:50 AM
Perhaps the greatest arena of all time, this would be a tragedy.

More-Than-Most
07-25-2013, 02:51 AM

:laugh:

mjt20mik
07-25-2013, 02:57 AM
wow.. my first ever game i saw was at the MSG when i was 4.. it would be a tragedy if they move it.

ztilzer31
07-25-2013, 03:24 AM
Good... Historic **** is overrated... New and shiny beats old and run down with memories any day of the week and twice on Sunday. Next up Wrigley/Lambeau/Fenway

Fenway is glorious. Every ballplayer/fan you ever talk to says Fenway is the greatest park they've ever been.

DitchDat
07-25-2013, 03:35 AM
What a shame

jimm120
07-25-2013, 03:37 AM
The thing is, where else in the middle of manhattan can they even place it? Part of the draw to MSG is how its in the middle of manhattan, the high rises.

c'mon.

static_inferno
07-25-2013, 03:41 AM
Crazy since they recently finished renovations. I'm sad to have missed the Garden on my last visit to NYC. Hopefully I'll get to visit soon before they relocate. Then visit again after the move.

Punk
07-25-2013, 04:44 AM
The thing is, where else in the middle of manhattan can they even place it? Part of the draw to MSG is how its in the middle of manhattan, the high rises.

c'mon.

There is a good chance this gets sorted out but if not, they can build a new arena across from where Garden is now or move to Nassau Coliseum if they win the legal battle with the Barclays team reps over that.

The best and cheapest place to build a new arena and relocate if Manhattan isn't possible is...New Jersey.

Which would be hilarious yet painfully ironic.

Kashmir13579
07-25-2013, 05:32 AM
Can't happen.

GMEN4EVER
07-25-2013, 06:18 AM
This would be beyond absurd for them to move the garden within ten years of Dolan spending close to a billion dollars to upgrade it. These politicians, like most, are out of their dam minds!

xxplayerxx23
07-25-2013, 08:30 AM
In ten years? Wtf

LOOTERX9
07-25-2013, 08:57 AM
absolute stupidity..nyc council... smh

stawka
07-25-2013, 09:02 AM
I'm not a fan of the Knicks, never have and never will be, but this is just wrong. I love history when it comes to sports, and MSG IS a big piece of history in the NBA.

Every player brings his A-Game when they play in MSG, the stars and celebs at the game, Spike Lee vs Reggie, nooooooooo

D-Leethal
07-25-2013, 09:11 AM
Dolan puts a billion dollars out of his own pocket to renevate and the city tells him before year 1 of the 'new' renovated Garden that hes gotta move?

Rivera
07-25-2013, 09:16 AM

Keep Fenway out of your mouth. Fenway is one of if not the most beautiful parks in the mlb

Matter of fact ill deal with you in the wrestling forum

Hellcrooner
07-25-2013, 09:32 AM
new yorkers should take whatever weapon they have at hand and present themselves in front of the council with some death threats.

you just dont ****ing mess with the city history.

sep11ie
07-25-2013, 09:35 AM
Why are people calling this a tragedy? Knicks fans want brand new players and coaches like 3 times a year, I'm surprised they don't want a new arena 3 times a year.

sep11ie
07-25-2013, 09:36 AM
Keep Fenway out of your mouth. Fenway is one of if not the most beautiful parks in the mlb

Matter of fact ill deal with you in the wrestling forum

Babe Ruth called, he said, "Nuh uh".

rlendensky
07-25-2013, 09:42 AM
This is the dumbest thing i've ever heard of in my life. MSG has been around forever and they just renovated it.

BKLYNpigeon
07-25-2013, 09:49 AM
The Garden will be bigger and better.

sportsfan222
07-25-2013, 09:50 AM
this would be the dumbest thing ever.

the best part about msg is that it is in a perfect location. even if u do not live in the city, u go straight to penn station and ur there.

i am not too concerned about this, it will not happen.

NYK|NYY
07-25-2013, 09:50 AM
They literally just renovated

BKLYNpigeon
07-25-2013, 09:52 AM
in all seriousness. NYC is always building, expanding, and evolving. MSG is a sports landmark, but the city needs to expand Penn Station for its Millions of commuters a day. Thats more important then MSG.

I dont know if there any more room for an arena in Manhattan. Knicks might have to play in Brooklyn! HAHAHAH.

deaner
07-25-2013, 10:32 AM
New Jersey Knicks.

I wonder how their stock is doing today.

SlimKid
07-25-2013, 11:25 AM

That happened a long time ago..

colinskik
07-25-2013, 11:25 AM
Madison Square Garden as we know it is not the original Madison Square Garden. In fact, I think this is the third reincarnation of the basketball arena under the same name.

A couple of years ago I would've probably been more upset about this, but after living through the whole Yankee stadium refresh I've realized things change and you can't get too caught up in it. (Still can't believe they tore down the old Yankee stadium to essentially rebuild an exact replica...)

FYL_McVeezy
07-25-2013, 11:47 AM
Dolan must be pissed....he just spent 1 Billion to renovate the current arena SMH....

Maybe they can move the arena to the West side where they were supposed to build that Jets stadium a couple years back? :shrug:

deaner
07-25-2013, 11:50 AM
I wonder if Mikhail Prokhorov and Bloomberg have been talking. It would appear the nets are taking over NY.

otwisted
07-25-2013, 01:02 PM
Move the Garden? It's not like they can dis-assemble it and put it back together in a new location. Dolan just spent a cool Billion with a B, on renovations. It's gonna cost him at least 2 Billion more to find a location, purchase the land, and build a new Garden.

sportscrazed
07-25-2013, 01:16 PM
The Garden will probably be annoying to get to. Penn Station was very convenient. But this is in 10 years, every single person here is acting like they are moving within the next 2 years. Sports fans are biased but making Penn Station bigger is much more important than having the Garden there. Penn Station is a mess and always way to crowded. A report said they would put MSG where the Javits center currently is which I could see. It would be annoying to get to but they would have a ton of space to build something special.

It will not be in the center on NYC though anymore in this case which is sad.

GiantsSwaGG
07-25-2013, 01:41 PM
Move that *****

KnickaBocka.44
07-25-2013, 01:46 PM
I wonder if Mikhail Prokhorov and Bloomberg have been talking. It would appear the nets are taking over NY.

It might appear that way to the blind man.

astonmartin10
07-25-2013, 07:29 PM
Shocked .MSG is iconic.