PDA

View Full Version : Does Smoove and Chauncey put Detroit in the playoffs???

lukass
07-24-2013, 09:29 PM
Detroit landed a big FA in Josh Smith and also brought back Mr. Big Shot, is this enough to get Detroit back to the postseason? I personally think were still another big trade away from being a postseason threat.

Gators123
07-24-2013, 09:33 PM
6th-8th is wide open. I think the current roaster has as good a chance as anybody for one of those spots.

Bmoss12
07-24-2013, 09:34 PM
If Dumars is done, then Dumars is done for good

GiantsSwaGG
07-24-2013, 09:35 PM
:laugh:

SINCESTARBURY25
07-24-2013, 09:44 PM
Josh is an idiot for leaving Atlanta for Detroit that is all.

east fb knicks
07-24-2013, 09:47 PM
not if their smart they just tank one more year for the upcoming draft and by after this year they should be good

lukass
07-24-2013, 09:47 PM
Josh is an idiot for leaving Atlanta for Detroit that is all.

Why? ATL wasn't going nowhere

GiantsSwaGG
07-24-2013, 10:01 PM
Why? ATL wasn't going nowhere

The pistons aren't either

Gators123
07-24-2013, 10:10 PM

Is that a fact though? Smith, Monroe, Drummond, plus other young guys like Caldwell-pope, Knight AND lots of money coming off the books again next season.

beasted86
07-24-2013, 10:11 PM
Monroe is too poor on defense. No chance IMO.

GiantsSwaGG
07-24-2013, 10:12 PM
Is that a fact though? Smith, Monroe, Drummond, plus other young guys like Caldwell-pope, Knight AND lots of money coming off the books again next season.

2 words

Joe Dumars

GiantsSwaGG
07-24-2013, 10:13 PM

Brandon Knight stinks

Stuckey sucky

Billups is basically done

Gators123
07-24-2013, 10:15 PM
2 words

Joe Dumars

http://cbsdetroit.files.wordpress.com/2011/02/joedumars.jpg?w=300

Bostonjorge
07-24-2013, 10:17 PM
There right there with the Knicks

ManRam
07-24-2013, 10:17 PM
Their successes are more hinged on the development of Monroe, Drummond, Knight etc. than those two guys. I don't think Smoove and Chauncey at his age are going to come in and instantly improve a team all that much. Certainly not 8-9 games at least.

ManRam
07-24-2013, 10:18 PM

I think there are reasons why, but Monroe's defense is far from THE reason. Drummond and Smoove will help with that, and while Monroe isn't great defensively he isn't a complete liability either.

lukass
07-24-2013, 10:20 PM

Ok if your saying he's an idiot for leaving ATL and you saying ATL and Detroit aren't going anywhere then why is he an idiot for going to Detroit? Sounds like your hatin to me bro. Detroit has much much more upside than Atlanta right now and Detroit has the assets to aquire more talent in the very near future

RipCity32
07-24-2013, 10:20 PM
It all depends on how Smith,Monroe and Drummond can play together.Like Gators said thou 6-9 is pretty wide open.

gwrighter
07-24-2013, 10:22 PM
I think Detroit is definitely in the mix. Adding Smith is a good piece. It's going to be up to how the team comes together but I'd say they have the talent to make the playoffs if they come together as a unit fast enough.

MrfadeawayJB
07-24-2013, 10:23 PM
If the teams core continues to grow yes a playoff spot is easily in reach. Also I see Monroe as a hot commodity in the trade market

Gators123
07-24-2013, 10:28 PM
I think there are reasons why, but Monroe's defense is far from THE reason. Drummond and Smoove will help with that, and while Monroe isn't great defensively he isn't a complete liability either.

Exactly. Monroes help side defense is awful, his man defense is pretty solid though. It just looked worse because he was our center. He will be the starting PF next season so its not that big of a deal. Especially playing alongside Drummond and Smith.

beasted86
07-24-2013, 10:32 PM

Yeah, but their only strength is the front court. The team will only go as far as Monroe, Smith and Drummond carry them. Drummond is okay, but Monroe is completely unimpressive defensively. I think we will also quickly see how bad of a fit Smith is at the 3 when without a doubt they try and play him there.

But you are right, maybe that type of blame shouldn't go on him. It should actually go on Rodney Suckey and his low percentage, poor passing, and bad contract. It will be funny to watch a near 40 year old Chauncey take all of his minutes.

RipCity32
07-24-2013, 10:34 PM
We need to improve our back court for sure as well but I still don't see anyone at 6-9 who looks like a for sure playoff team so I think we will get in.

SeoulBeatz
07-24-2013, 10:36 PM

but Pistons future>>>>>ATL's.

still thought it was an odd choice for Josh, but he's certainly better off in detroit than atlanta.

Drummond#1
07-24-2013, 10:44 PM

Hey Danny Ferry has a ring too. Though I'm pretty sure he never dressed out for the Spurs...

TBH I didn't even know he was the Hawks GM.

Drummond#1
07-24-2013, 10:49 PM
Honestly I think the boys sneak into the 7 or 8 seed next year. It will take a couple months for the chemistry to work... but if they click and pick up a true starting PG then I think the Pistons will make some noise.

Badluck33
07-24-2013, 10:57 PM
i think in one year the Pistons are really going to regret giving Josh Smith that type of money.

He will be on the block this time next year.....

Legendary33
07-24-2013, 11:01 PM
Honestly I think the boys sneak into the 7 or 8 seed next year. It will take a couple months for the chemistry to work... but if they click and pick up a true starting PG then I think the Pistons will make some noise.

Chemistry is definitely the biggest factor for detroit, i was skeptical at first on how josh smith would fit with Drummond and monroe. If things click than they have a good shot but we have to see how they play together.

Badluck33
07-24-2013, 11:02 PM
Josh Smith to Detroit really was a surprise.

What will he play?

the 3?

Gators123
07-24-2013, 11:04 PM
i think in one year the Pistons are really going to regret giving Josh Smith that type of money.

$13.5M a year is pretty fair for Smith and Detroit. He made $13.2 last year and he was expecting the max. Obviously not worth the max, but was anybody actually thinking he would get less than $13M?

lukass
07-24-2013, 11:06 PM

13mill, not bad in this market... and if it makes Monroe expendable to aquire a backcourt guy like Rondo then its a great signing

Gators123
07-24-2013, 11:08 PM

What will he play?

the 3?

He will start at SF, but will probably get an even amount of time at PF.

xnick5757
07-24-2013, 11:08 PM
smith cannot play the 3. he's terrible there. he thinks he can play the three, he shoots like he plays the three, but he simply cannot be a starting 3 on a playoff contender.

smith/monroe/drummond as a 3/4/5 is absolutely HORRID floor spacing

Gators123
07-24-2013, 11:12 PM
smith cannot play the 3. he's terrible there. he thinks he can play the three, he shoots like he plays the three, but he simply cannot be a starting 3 on a playoff contender.

Defense is part of the game too.

GiantsSwaGG
07-24-2013, 11:13 PM

http://img.bleacherreport.net/img/article/media_slots/photos/000/874/754/hi-res-6267558_crop_exact.jpg?w=650&h=435&q=85

GiantsSwaGG
07-24-2013, 11:17 PM
Smith playing the 3 is laughable

Gators123
07-24-2013, 11:18 PM
http://img.bleacherreport.net/img/article/media_slots/photos/000/874/754/hi-res-6267558_crop_exact.jpg?w=650&h=435&q=85

What? Jerebko was a nice pick in the 2nd round.

GiantsSwaGG
07-24-2013, 11:24 PM
What? Jerebko was a nice pick in the 2nd round.

I know but the rest are trash. Smith doesn't make the Pistons a playoff team. He's serverly overrated and he's serverly overrated defensively.

JerseyPalahniuk
07-24-2013, 11:33 PM
Hey Danny Ferry has a ring too. Though I'm pretty sure he never dressed out for the Spurs...

TBH I didn't even know he was the Hawks GM.

That championship wasn't as a player. It was at the same position he is now. Ben Wallace and Chauncey are in the frame.

lukass
07-24-2013, 11:35 PM
Smith playing the 3 is laughable

You're laughable. You're acting like Detroit signed a guy like Andrew Bogut to play the 3, Josh Smith is very capable of play the 3 sure there are question marks with his shooting consistency but he's versatile, can put the ball on the floor, pass the rock and is a huge defensive presence

TheNumber37
07-24-2013, 11:37 PM
yes, because the city is in desperate need of something like a win

Gators123
07-24-2013, 11:37 PM
I know but the rest are trash. Smith doesn't make the Pistons a playoff team. He's serverly overrated and he's serverly overrated defensively.

He held opposing SF's to an average PER of 8.9 last year.

You can think hes overrated, but hes still a talent upgrade.

goingfor28
07-24-2013, 11:40 PM
Miami Chicago Indiana New York Brooklyn all locks. Anywhere 6-8 seems reasonable IMO

GiantsSwaGG
07-24-2013, 11:46 PM
You're laughable. You're acting like Detroit signed a guy like Andrew Bogut to play the 3, Josh Smith is very capable of play the 3 sure there are question marks with his shooting consistency but he's versatile, can put the ball on the floor, pass the rock and is a huge defensive presence

False

He's an average defender at best, he's overrated.

He can play the 3 but all he's going to do is chuck up 3's and jumpshots. Theirs a reason ATL wanted him at the 4.

lukass
07-24-2013, 11:59 PM
False

He's an average defender at best, he's overrated.

He can play the 3 but all he's going to do is chuck up 3's and jumpshots. Theirs a reason ATL wanted him at the 4.

I would hardly call a guy who can defend the 3 or 4 and block shots and play the passing lanes "average" he's clearly above average

Pierzynski4Prez
07-25-2013, 12:24 AM
Easily, if Milwaukee made it last year its certainly possible for a few teams in the east this year.

BHF
07-25-2013, 12:56 AM

easy there i don't think he is old enough to remember the pistons back then.

and no don't think they will make the playoffs unless other teams start tanking mid season or losing key players to injuries.

5ass
07-25-2013, 01:28 AM

What will he play?

the 3?

Maybe, but they can play Josh only at the 4.

Drummond 30 at C.
Monroe 18 at C, and 15 at PF.
Josh Smith 33 at PF.
The problem is they dont have a good SF.

WITZ
07-25-2013, 02:05 AM

Biggest issue that they are going to have. Defensively they have the potential to be really good but offensively it could get ugly.

rockbottom2010
07-25-2013, 03:30 AM
Biggest issue that they are going to have. Defensively they have the potential to be really good but offensively it could get ugly.

see it depends how healthy Chauncey Billups is. If he's healthy, this could be a playoff team. Many ppl are sleeping on KCP. I think hes a nice pickup for the Pistons. If Drummond can get more minutes, man watch out fo this dude, hes a freak of nature.

WadeKobe
07-25-2013, 03:33 AM
Why do people think Jsmoove is good?

RLundi
07-25-2013, 03:45 AM
Simply, no.

bagwell368
07-25-2013, 06:38 AM
Their successes are more hinged on the development of Monroe, Drummond, Knight etc. than those two guys. I don't think Smoove and Chauncey at his age are going to come in and instantly improve a team all that much. Certainly not 8-9 games at least.

x2

Billups is there more for vet steadiness/leadership than what he still has left. Knight is a kid that could use some steadiness.

Smith or Drummond better figure out how to shoot fouls, or the close games they play could take a long time.

Bulls_fan90
07-25-2013, 07:24 AM
All depends on the healthy of Chauncey. I don't see any reason why they couldn't get a lower seed. I mean the Bucks just made the playoffs this past season.

GiantsSwaGG
07-25-2013, 07:47 AM
easy there i don't think he is old enough to remember the pistons back then.

and no don't think they will make the playoffs unless other teams start tanking mid season or losing key players to injuries.

Wow you knew they were the piston? Maybe you do know alil bit of basketball

GiantsSwaGG
07-25-2013, 07:48 AM
Why do people think Jsmoove is good?

Because he plays passing lanes and blocks shots

airronijordan
07-25-2013, 08:02 AM
I don't see them making the playoffs. Very bad spacing offensively with a smith, Drummond, and Monroe front court.

Gators123
07-25-2013, 08:36 AM
Because he plays passing lanes and blocks shots

Yeah thats all. But you also said Smith is an average defender at best, so you obviously don't know what you're talking about.

Everybody that watched Josh Smith knows hes a very good defender. The stats back it up too.

GiantsSwaGG
07-25-2013, 09:16 AM
Yeah thats all. But you also said Smith is an average defender at best, so you obviously don't know what you're talking about.

Everybody that watched Josh Smith knows hes a very good defender. The stats back it up too.

He is an average defender, not a difference maker defensively. If that's what you're expecting good luck. That's like expecting Brags to average 7 rebounds for the knicks

GiantsSwaGG
07-25-2013, 09:17 AM
And for the record the Pistons can challenge for the 7th or 8th seed but they need more IMO.

GMEN4EVER
07-25-2013, 09:34 AM
Possibly. Top 5 are set with Miami, Chicago, Indiana, New York, Brooklyn. After that? Probably Cleveland and Washington should be in there. The last playoff team is likely to be the Pistons, or maybe the Bucks but i'd favor the Pistons to beat them to 40 wins to get decimated in the first round.

DetroitBadBoy
07-25-2013, 10:18 AM
Smith, Monroe, and Dre are not even going to be on the court together the majority of the time. They will start but people are acting like all 3 will be playing together all game. Expand your mind a lil and think about how nice that front court rotation will be.

It's all about match-ups.

2-ONE-5
07-25-2013, 10:24 AM
kinda depends if Smith can play the 3 which im not so sure he can bcuz he cant shoot to save his life and Monroe doesnt have much range and we all know Drummond has 0 range. like most said 6-8 is wide open but I think 6-8 goes to the Raps, Wiz, and Bobcats (yea I said it)

GiantsSwaGG
07-25-2013, 10:30 AM
That why I don't see it working IMO. Smith can't shoot and Monroe/Drummond and Smith will be camping inside.

Gators123
07-25-2013, 10:30 AM
Smith, Monroe, and Dre are not even going to be on the court together the majority of the time. They will start but people are acting like all 3 will be playing together all game. Expand your mind a lil and think about how nice that front court rotation will be.

It's all about match-ups.

Exactly. There are 96 minutes available between PF and Center. Smith-Monroe-Drummond will start the games, but after that we can go with Monroe - Drummond, Smith - Monroe, Smith - Drummond, etc. We have options.

Last year our starting front line as Prince-Maxiell-Monroe and after Prince was traded it was Singler-Maxiell-Monroe.

Smith-Monroe-Drummond is definitely an upgrade.

DetroitBadBoy
07-25-2013, 10:39 AM
Exactly. There are 96 minutes available between PF and Center. Smith-Monroe-Drummond will start the games, but after that we can go with Monroe - Drummond, Smith - Monroe, Smith - Drummond, etc. We have options.

Last year our starting front line as Prince-Maxiell-Monroe and after Prince was traded it was Singler-Maxiell-Monroe.

Smith-Monroe-Drummond is definitely an upgrade.

Lol yeah, sort of a scary lineup if you ask me.

In endgame situations, when the games are close, we don't even need Drummond in the game if we are nervous of them hack-a-Dre'in. That's where Mo comes in and subs him in on defense if we think it's necessary.

Sly Guy
07-25-2013, 10:39 AM
they have a fearsome front line, but chemistry will be the indicator. I hope they make it though, I love me some power bball.

All-In
07-25-2013, 11:01 AM
I think they should trade Monroe with Knight and maybe a pick for Rondo. Or something along those lines….trading Monroe Plus whatever for an upgrade at PG. Monroe seems to be another version of Al Jefferson, good offense bad defensive big, which more often than not are overpaid. I mean Monroe is young so there is still room for improvement but his value might be as high as it ever will now. I think there still one move away either trade or draft.

2-ONE-5
07-25-2013, 11:13 AM
Monroe is not a black hole on D. He is a good defender in fact, not great or all NBA good but hes solid and certainly no Big Al back there

dwoyo
07-25-2013, 11:13 AM
Well I believe it's all up to their bench. Their starters don't mean much if they don't have a solid 2nd unit to back them up like alot of playoff bound teams do. It seems their bench are full of young players with raw or unproven ability:
- Brandon Knight (I believe Billups can start again for them)
- Kentavious Caldwell-Pope
- Jonas Jerebko (3 years, but still has potential)
- Kyle Singler
- Tony Mitchell
- Khris Middleton
- Peyton Siva

Their only veterans on the bench are Will Bynum and Charlie Villanueva. Only watching them next season will help us find out whether the bench can help them reach the next level or weigh them down to remain in the same.

All-In
07-25-2013, 11:27 AM
Monroe is not a black hole on D. He is a good defender in fact, not great or all NBA good but hes solid and certainly no Big Al back there

Monroe a good defender lol right….Monroe is a very good offensive player, but he's a glaring liability on defense in a league getting smaller and quicker. He's a turnstile trying to contain the pick-and-roll out on the floor — a mess of bad footwork, poor timing, lazy reaches, and bad choices. When Detroit has him hang back at the foul line, ball handlers can zip around him with an easy crossover or launch wide-open jumpers as Monroe, petrified at giving up a rim run, retreats a step farther than most bigs would dare — often with his arms down. When the Pistons asked Monroe to attack the ball higher on the floor, the mess was almost worse. Point guards can juke Monroe with laughable ease by faking toward a screener, watching Monroe lurch in that direction, and then crossing over the other way and into an unpatrolled lane. Monroe is often late in jumping out above a screen, meaning his momentum is going too hard the wrong way (toward half court) as the opposing point guard revs up to turn the corner. His off-ball defense is similarly unintuitive. Monroe wants to help and has a rudimentary sense of where he should be as the chess pieces move around the floor, but he's unsure of himself and prone to fatal hesitations and bouts of confusion. He has struggled to develop any chemistry with his big-man partners, so that a lot of Detroit possessions end with late help rotations or both bigs chasing one opposing big man — each under the impression the other would be elsewhere on the floor.

Gators123
07-25-2013, 11:33 AM
:laugh2: ^ Way to not give Zach Lowe credit for that.

DetroitBadBoy
07-25-2013, 11:33 AM
I think they should trade Monroe with Knight and maybe a pick for Rondo. Or something along those lines….trading Monroe Plus whatever for an upgrade at PG. Monroe seems to be another version of Al Jefferson, good offense bad defensive big, which more often than not are overpaid. I mean Monroe is young so there is still room for improvement but his value might be as high as it ever will now. I think there still one move away either trade or draft.

Monroe's defense isn't even THAT bad, he has good, quick hands and is smart. He gets steals. He also yells a lot on the court, which might frighten the guy shooting? :rolleyes:

All-In
07-25-2013, 11:42 AM
:laugh2: ^ Way to not give Zach Lowe credit for that.

LOL nice fine….ur correct I should’ve citied Zach Lowe but obviously it wasn’t me….he just put into words better than I can why Monroe’s defense isn’t that good that’s all lol

All-In
07-25-2013, 11:57 AM
Monroe's defense isn't even THAT bad, he has good, quick hands and is smart. He gets steals. He also yells a lot on the court, which might frighten the guy shooting? :rolleyes:

Monroe is smart???? Hes good at offense but a work in progress on defense….so instead of having Drummond, Monroe, Smith wouldn’t you rather have Drummond, Smith and Rondo…I don’t know if that trade is possible but if you put shooters at the 2 and 3 then that’s a starting 5 I can wrap my head around.

MonroeFAN
07-25-2013, 12:23 PM
Dude you just quoted someone else's opinion as your own.

Why would you continue to comment?

I sure hope we make the playoffs. I would consider this off-season to be a total waste if we didn't.

2-ONE-5
07-25-2013, 12:27 PM

haha i know right.

goose14741
07-25-2013, 12:27 PM

Knight billups smoove monroe drummond...worst transition team in basketball along with the worst floor spacing ever. So terrible

MonroeFAN
07-25-2013, 12:30 PM
and who is it that you root for exactly?

All-In
07-25-2013, 04:42 PM

I sure hope we make the playoffs. I would consider this off-season to be a total waste if we didn't.

Its more like I'm citing my Opinion and thats not even the point read it. I said earlier that Monroe wasn't good at Defense then 2-one-5 replied that he was a good defender then I looked up and researched as to why he wasnt a good defender and found that article.....i guess there just was sooooo much that he isn't a good defender.

Way to ingore the point

All-In
07-25-2013, 04:51 PM
haha i know right.

Ok so you agree then Monroe is a bad defender because that was the point. I said he was then you said he was a good defender so I did some research and oops i guess i found too much on why Monroe is a bad defender lol sorry man

GiantsSwaGG
07-25-2013, 04:51 PM
Knight billups smoove monroe drummond...worst transition team in basketball along with the worst floor spacing ever. So terrible

Like I said early besides Knight (who isn't good) and Billups, everyone else will be in the paint. Very easy to defend.

rocket
07-25-2013, 09:19 PM
They'll make it as a 7th or 8th seed but probably lose in the 1st round and Joe knows that. They'll be making another move this summer.

2-ONE-5
07-25-2013, 09:25 PM
Ok so you agree then Monroe is a bad defender because that was the point. I said he was then you said he was a good defender so I did some research and oops i guess i found too much on why Monroe is a bad defender lol sorry man

no i still disagree. hes fine on D and certainly not comparable to Big All

smith&wesson
07-25-2013, 09:31 PM
I think they are very front court heavy.

Imo the pistons should look to trade monroe for a legit sf and they will be set.

LA_Raiders
07-26-2013, 12:57 AM
Lol, they may not make the POffs

FriedTofuz
07-26-2013, 02:57 AM
I think they are very front court heavy.

Imo the pistons should look to trade monroe for a legit sf and they will be set.

not for gay though, monroe cant play D :(

Six-8-TheWizard
07-26-2013, 05:35 AM
Close but not yet. I see them as a 9 or 10 seed in the east this year as is.

dalton749
07-26-2013, 05:49 AM
I don't see it working very well. At least not this year. Bottom east is too competitive 9-10 seed

mark1125
07-26-2013, 06:49 AM
As things stand today, I would say they will probably grab the 8th seed. If things go well, possibly 7th.

Personally, I still see another move coming before opening tip. I doubt the team they have now is the team that breaks camp. If they swing a deal for Rondo or a quality SF and don't give up Drummond (Which I don't see happening), I could see things change in their standing.

basch152
07-26-2013, 08:19 AM

Meh, if the choices are barely miss the playoffs and have a shot at Wiggins or make the playoffs to get obliterated by Miami, I think I'd take the road that leads to the possibility of having Wiggins.

DR_1
07-26-2013, 01:07 PM
I think they can grab the 7 or 8 seed. Nice young nucleus.

N3TS
07-26-2013, 01:44 PM
If Chauncey can manage to stay healthy and this team can find some sort of chemistry, than I believe they've got a shot at the playoffs.

All-In
07-26-2013, 03:34 PM
no i still disagree. hes fine on D and certainly not comparable to Big All

Yes he is comparable to big Al because he is a liability on defense and Detroit has to make a decision soon on weather they want to pay Monroe top dollar and outside the heat what did the final 4 teams have in common….interior defense…..Timmy, Gasol, and Hibbert…..having Drummond and Smith as ur frontcourt of the future has major potential for rim protection. If they want to keep Monroe there going to have to pay near Max level money for him and overpaying bad defensive bigs ie. Big Al never works. Listen I like what Detroit is doing….I just think there one move away from being a sure firer playoff team….and trading Monroe makes sense for who IDK maybe Rondo maybe for a lotto pick in next years draft but by getting him off there books before they have to make a decision then they’ll have tremendous cap flexibility and go after legit Max players

MinnesotaFtw
07-26-2013, 03:46 PM
No but Andre Drummond will.