PDA

View Full Version : Post predictions here 13-14 nba season!

dwoyo
07-23-2013, 04:50 PM
Here are my predictions in depth for the 2013-14 NBA season, although it is unlikely to happen due to the unpredictability of the NBA and with a couple of free agents and moves yet to be made. And please by all means POST YOURS HERE AS WELL, I wanna know what you think. You don't have to analyze and explain like I did, but just place your picks in the forum:

EAST
1. Miami Heat (Chalmers,Wade,Battier,James,Bosh) -
A cruise through the season to prepare for their toughest run yet at a coveted third championship in a row. LeBron will try to be better (if that’s possible), Wade must dip into the fountain of youth, Bosh must be more involved, and the rest of the crew must deliver three pointers if they want to achieve that goal. No team has made the finals 4 times in a row since Larry Bird's Celtics.
2. Chicago Bulls (Rose,Butler,Deng,Boozer,Noah) -
The 2011 MVP is back, and it makes me laugh when people say he won't be the same. He'll either be the same or better, as he'll lead Chicago's defensive squad to an aggressive series with the Heat. They’ll need to make shots and outrebound Miami in order to finally reach the championship series. And the ESPY for Comeback Player of the Year goes to...
3. Indiana Pacers (Hill,Stephenson,George,West,Hibbert) -
Granger is coming back to bolster Indiana's bench, and if he gets back to being himself, he'll be a threat in the lineup with George. Either way, Indiana is only even more of a threat to Miami in next years’ playoffs, especially with West and Hibbert still around to bang in the post. The central division is now up for grabs.
4. Brooklyn Nets (Williams,Johnson,Pierce,Garnett,Lopez) –
The best starting lineup in the NBA…on paper. The Nets still have a rookie coach and a questionable bench (even with AK47) to make a true run at becoming a force in the East. In the end, they’ll have more wins, but they’ll remain with the same seed from last year. At least they’ll do better than the Knicks…
5. New York Knicks (Felton,Shumpert,World Peace,Anthony,Chandler) –
The Knicks have unfortunately reached their ceiling last year in my opinion. Unless Amare revives his skill, J.R. has a solid return from injury, Shumpert has a career year, and/or Carmelo contends for a scoring title, NY will be the team outside looking in. But the possibilities are nevertheless endless for the Knicks.
6. Cleveland Cavaliers (Irving,Waiters,Bennett,Thompson,Bynum) –
The Cavaliers are young and raw with talent, and signing Bynum and bench pieces like Jarrett Jack and Earl Clark have glimmered their chances at finally reaching their first playoffs since King James left Ohio. Anymore room for improvement or potential downfall depends on not only the health of Bynum but for the rest of the team as well.
7. Atlanta Hawks (Teague,Williams,Korver,Millsap,Horford) –
Atlanta is just too much of a solid team. Not great, not terrible, just solid. The Hawks tried and failed to reel in a star to Atlanta, resulting in a team with depth, but not enough talent to surpass the others. In this years jam packed East, solid will only get you between a 6th-8th seed.
8. Detroit Pistons (Knight,Stuckey,Smith,Monroe,Drummond) –
Detroit is too questionable for me to think of them any higher. Is J-Smoove good at the Small Forward here? Will Monroe and Drummond break out as a tandem? Will the young guards make more shots than commit turnovers? These and many more have the new look Pistons looking at an early playoff exit.
9. Washington Wizards (Wall,Beal,Porter,Okafor,Nene) –
I would’ve had Washington at the 8th spot, but watching Porter disappoint during Summer League and taking a look at the Wizards’ bench (Webster and Maynor?) made me think otherwise. Of course, seeds 6th-10th can go either way due to many factors, an important one being whether or not John Wall has a breakout season.
10. Toronto Raptors (Lowry,DeRozan,Gay,Johnson,Valanciunas) –
A breakout season for Toronto would have them only reaching as high as a 6th seed in the East. Other than that, this team still has many questions on hand, especially defensively. The success of this team depends on the development of Valanciunas, Ross, and DeRozan, who at this point they’re hoping is a late bloomer.
11. Boston Celtics (Rondo,Bradley,Green,Sullinger,Olynyk) –
Boston may have entered rebuilding mode, but Rondo will not let his team go farther down than here. The 11th seed is their worst case scenario, as this squad is as poised as any other team to make a run at the final two spots in the East. However, the five teams in front of them in my predictions are in better shape and are more motivated to do so.
12. Milwaukee Bucks (Jennings(?),Mayo,Delfino,Henson,Sanders) –
If anybody knows what the front office’s plans for this team, please let me know. Fans are screaming rebuild, owners refuse to, and all this confusion with this squad will lead to another finish amongst the middle of the East for the Bucks. At least Henson and Sanders will provide a solid shot swatting tandem in the post.
13. Charlotte Bobcats (Walker,Henderson,Kidd-Gilchrist,Zeller,Jefferson) -
The final season for the Bobcats will be considered a success if they can gain an advantage over the Bucks for 12th in the East. It is likely because of the limbo occurring in Milwaukee, but it’d have to take a defensive awakening and improvements on Walker’s (turnovers!) and Kidd-Gilchrist’s (shooting!) parts.
14. Orlando Magic (Nelson,Oladipo,Harris,Davis,Vucevic) –
Orlando looks more and more like the winners of the Dwight Howard trade done a year ago. Their young core of Oladipo, Harris, Vucevic, and Harkless won’t make noise this year, but after the stacked draft and free agency class of 2014, Magic fans have something to be excited about in the future.
15. Philadelphia 76ers (Carter-Williams,Turner,Young,Moultrie,Noel) –
Philly is already in the process of producing Andrew Wiggins jerseys. Or at least that’s what they should be doing with everything that they’ve done this offseason to ensure that their team is all in on the highest rated prospect since LeBron James. Needless to say, even with Nerlens Noel, you won’t be hearing Philly make any noise this upcoming season.

WEST
* You have no idea how hard it is to make predictions for the West
1. Oklahoma City Thunder (Westbrook,Sefalosha,Durant,Ibaka,Perkins) –
Put Durant and Westbrook with the worst lineup you can think of and they’ll still reach close to 50 wins. Add defensive anchor Ibaka and the young assets of Reggie Jackson, Jeremy Lamb, Perry Jones, and Steven Adams (not to mention rumors of Mike Miller) and this team will more than definitely remain atop their conference. The only doubt is what they can do after the season.
2. San Antonio Spurs (Parker,Green,Leonard,Splitter,Duncan) –
The Spurs at least gained one thing from losing the finals in dramatic fashion: the fans’ attention. No longer are the Spurs under the radar, and they’ve brought their same crew to go for another shot at the title. Before they were underrated. Now, with the competition in the West revamped, its all eyes on them.
3. Los Angeles Clippers (Paul,Reddick,Dudley,Griffin,Jordan) –
The Clippers are now ready to bring the title to the other franchise of L.A.. Rivers is in charge, Paul is in the driver’s seat, and they made multiple splashes in free agency to ensure that this year they’re going for it all. If they want to go through OKC, the Spurs, or their worst nightmare the Memphis Grizzlies, they need their bench to step up and for CP3 to be the floor general and lead his team to victory.
4. Memphis Grizzlies (Conley,Allen,Prince,Randolph,Gasol) –
With many teams unsure of how next season may go due to many moves and the draft, the two teams that look the most stable are the two Western Conference finals participants: San Antonio and Memphis. The new coach shouldn’t be a problem, but the increased competition in the West should present more of a challenge to Memphis. Either way, the grit and grind will be back to contend out West.
5. Golden State Warriors (Curry,Thompson,Iguadola,Lee,Bogut) –
If you thought last year was fun, wait till you see the Dubs this year. Losing Jack and Landry was tough, but signing Iggy and having Harrison Barnes coming off the bench more than makes up for it. The possibilities are absolutely endless.
6. Houston Rockets (Lin,Harden,Parsons,T.Jones/G.Smith,Howard) –
Two reasons why H-Town is at the 6th seed: Dwight’s back and players that aren’t Dwight, Harden, and Parsons. Even with Dwight healthy, their supporting cast and bench may not be enough to make Houston a powerhouse this year.
7. Minnesota Timberwolves (Rubio,Martin,Brewer,Love,Pekovic) –
The T’Wolves are in desperate need of a breakout season, and this may be the one. If no injuries happen (lol) and they can improve throughout the year on defense, the end to their long playoff drought may finally happen.
8. Denver Nuggets (Lawson,Chandler,Gallinari(Injured for now),Faried,McGee) –
It’s no surprise the Nuggets are this low. Here’s what I expect to happen with a team that lost it’s star, GM, and coach: Nuggets will me mediocre until Gallinari’s return, but the games remaining won’t be enough and will limit them to 7th-8th seed. I do think though that Ty Lawson will make his first All-Star appearance this year.
9. New Orleans Pelicans (Holiday,Gordon,Evans,Anderson,Davis) –
As much as I love what New Orleans did this year, they may have to wait another season to bring playoff basketball back to the Big Easy. They need help on the bench all around, and there’s still a question mark on how Evans and Gordon will be handled regarding their positions.
10. Los Angeles Lakers (Nash,Bryant,W.Johnson,Gasol,Kaman) –
Yes, angry Kobe fans, I do have the Lakers out of the playoffs. You can’t expect a team who picked up the scraps after losing D12 to be prominent in the West just because Kobe’s coming back. They may do better than New Orleans if they find their winning ways, but I don’t have them beating Denver cause their depth and defense kills them, and I don’t have them beating Minnesota cause they’ll outrun and outshoot them. So write all the “People underrating Kobe SMH” all you want. I just don’t see it.
11. Portland Trailblazers (Lillard,Matthews,Batum,Aldridge,Lopez) –
Portland falls under the same description as Atlanta in being an all around solid team. The only problem is that solid doesn’t get you a playoff spot in the Western Conference. C.J. McCollum should alleviate the bench wounds from last season, but if Portland fails to make at least an 8th seed, then Aldridge will be out the door…if he doesn’t leave before season’s end anyway.
12. Sacramento Kings (Vasquez,Thornton,Mbah Moute,Landry,Cousins) –
Even for 12th place in the West this is considered a sleeper pick. The Kings also have McLemore, Jason Thompson, Isaiah Thomas and Patrick Patterson. They’re a team packed with youth and depth, and one can only fear them in the future if they keep their roster intact while adding a draft pick next year.
13. Dallas Mavericks (Calderon,Ellis,Marion,Nowitzki,Dalembert) –
The Kings are a sleeper pick because of who they’re above. Cuban refuses to let the Mavericks rebuild, and instead picked up the scraps in free agency to go for another shot to barely make the playoffs. Sorry Mavs fans, but Nowitzki’s era is coming to a close and it’s about time your dumbfounded owner realizes that.
14. Utah Jazz (Burke,Burks,Hayward,Favors,Kanter) –
One post tandem gone, another one in for the Utah Jazz. Utah has no problem being at the bottom of the West, because they know their future in the hands of Trey Burke and two promising bigs holds great things. They also have no problem in surprising the league by winning games and making a jump in the rankings. It can go either way for the Jazz, who are basing its team solely on development.
15. Phoenix Suns (Dragic,Bledsoe,Beasley,Morris,Gortat) –
Despite a projected finish at the bottom of the Western food chain, at least Phoenix fans can feel like they’re going in the right direction with the moves they made this offseason. Alex Len and Eric Bledsoe both show much promise, and it’s new coach Jeff Hornaceck’s mission to make them realize their potential. It would be a heavy surprise though if this team doesn’t finish in dead last out West.

Please don't hesitate to comment, whether it's your own predictions or if you agree or disagree with my picks

TrueFan420
07-23-2013, 05:02 PM
The warriors probably won't win it but should be an option.

elledaddy
07-23-2013, 05:09 PM
Changed my mind

NYCkid12
07-23-2013, 05:09 PM
I personally have Washington as a 7 seed and could see them as high as 6.....not as high on Atlanta feel as if they'll be right around that 8-9 spot

jon32
07-23-2013, 05:12 PM
I like the standings you have......I think what you have in the East from 6-10 is a toss up.....any 2 of the 4 could take the 7 and 8th seed . In the West I have it pretty much the same except I could see Houston potentially a spot or two higher

NYCkid12
07-23-2013, 05:14 PM
What makes you think Rose could be better? and not worse? I'm not saying he will be one way or the other but there's a lot more careers that have been affected for the worse when it comes to knee injuries than ones that have been better

JEDean89
07-23-2013, 05:14 PM
Nuggets will be a 50 win team this year, book it.

bstnfn34
07-23-2013, 05:15 PM
my bold prediction is the Celtics sneak up and snag the 6th or 7th spot, I love seeing everyones predictions on the Celtics being horrible but are still better than Detroit Toronto Washington and Atlanta and depending on Bynum clevland as well I find it funny how so many think Washington or Toronto could be better then Celtics smh :sigh:

Iron24th
07-23-2013, 05:20 PM
Minnesota at 7 lol

NYCkid12
07-23-2013, 05:23 PM
my bold prediction is the Celtics sneak up and snag the 6th or 7th spot, I love seeing everyones predictions on the Celtics being horrible but are still better than Detroit Toronto Washington and Atlanta and depending on Bynum clevland as well I find it funny how so many think Washington or Toronto could be better then Celtics smh :sigh:

you don't think the potential of a healthy Wall and another year experienced Beal and a solid front court of Nene,Okafor, and Porter has the potential to be a 6-8 seed...around where Celtics could be?

JerseyPalahniuk
07-23-2013, 05:25 PM
Why even mention that when talking about the Nets? It just takes away from the rest of what you wrote. Why troll Knicks fans when making predictions about a different team? It is what is homes, good luck

I find it apalling that of everything he said in the entire thread, you had to pinpoint one little sentence and think that it "takes away from the rest of what" he wrote. Just because he mentioned a team's (now) biggest rival in the league. As a Nets fan, it means a lot for our team to be better than the Knicks. The team won't ever say that in media but they sure as hell do care. He's not trolling, you are for just pointing out one very specific comment and negating the rest of his thought-out analysis of the ENTIRE league. I don't think anyone has posted a ranking of all 30 teams WITH a few sentences explaining his reasoning. Chill out dude.

rockets-fan
07-23-2013, 05:27 PM
Gotta have faith in my team, Rockets champs :)

Bulls
Miami
Nets
Pacers
Knicks
Cavs
Hawks
Pistons

Bulls win east

OKC
Clips
Spurs
Rockets
Warriors
Grizz
Nuggets
Pelicans/ Wolves/Mavs

Homer, Rockets come out
Non Homer, OKC

Bulls vs. OKC , OKC wins the title.

JerseyPalahniuk
07-23-2013, 05:33 PM
I actually completely agree with the teams AND exact seedings for the East 1-11. Although I can see the Celtics sneak up on a playoff spot too.

For the West, I would flip the Clippers and Spurs (I believe the difference will be very small and that both will win 60+ games). I would also flip the Warriors with the Grizz (impressed with the development of the Warriors bench and could even see them sneak up for a 3 seed). I agree with the teams at 9-11 although the order could be reversed with one of the two younger teams possibly making the playoffs.

AWC713
07-23-2013, 05:36 PM
East

Heat
Pacers
Bulls
Cavs
Brooklyn
Knicks
Wiz
Hawks

West

OKC
Clips
Rockets
Warriors
Spurs
Grizzlies (no lionel hollins is HUGE)
Nuggets
Wolves or Pelicans

ECF: Heat v. Brooklyn

WCF: Clips v. OKC

Heat over Clips in the finals

(rockets fan here)

kdspurman
07-23-2013, 05:37 PM
Spurs redeem themselves, Timmy goes out on top like D-Rob did.

Tony_Starks
07-23-2013, 05:40 PM
What makes the Nuggets so good? They took steps back across the board from the players to the coach to management....

AWC713
07-23-2013, 05:41 PM
Spurs redeem themselves, Timmy goes out on top like D-Rob did.

i think your window is closed...spurs have had their shots, but i'm not so sure how much longer the same core can keep making runs. manu looked done. IMO, yall's only shot at the finals is if you can keep duncan to around 20 mpg, keep his mileage low.

i really like yall's bench and depth, and there's no better coach in the game than pop...but i really dont see your team winning a finals, or making it there this year

AWC713
07-23-2013, 05:42 PM
ty lawson, kenneth faried, danilo is still a good core.

evan fournier looked REALLY good as well. wont have nearly the season they had last year, but I think they'll be relevant, and could sneak into the 7 or 8 seed

Minimal
07-23-2013, 05:47 PM
I think you made only 1 big mistake in your standings - putting Dallas 13th in the west. I believe they are gonna easily make the playoffs and will probably be in the 4-8 seed range.

JerseyPalahniuk
07-23-2013, 05:49 PM
I think you made only 1 big mistake in your standings - putting Dallas 13th in the west. I believe they are gonna easily make the playoffs and will probably be in the 4-8 seed range.

How can you say "easily" though? What 3-4 teams are they easily better than to warrant such conclusions. For the 2nd year in a row, they have a completely different roster

PhillyFaninLA
07-23-2013, 06:00 PM
Always put other in your poll if its one like this what if someone disagrees with you....all respect for topic lost

elledaddy
07-23-2013, 06:13 PM
How can you say "easily" though? What 3-4 teams are they easily better than to warrant such conclusions. For the 2nd year in a row, they have a completely different roster

You say that like it's a bad thing. Dont the Nets have a completely different roster for the 2nd year in a row? Whats that say about them?

JerseyPalahniuk
07-23-2013, 06:41 PM
[/B]

You say that like it's a bad thing. Dont the Nets have a completely different roster for the 2nd year in a row? Whats that say about them?

That it wil take time to gel and become better, probably till the all star break and even the playoffs. The nets were a 4 seed last year and will probably remain so since the bulls and pacers both have improved.

Same thing applies to the Mavs. Except that the WERE NOT in the playoffs. So for them to become a 4-8 seed as the guy predicted , they would have to SIGNIGICANTLY improve. Especially since most of the West have also improved apart from the nuggets and lakers (although so say they might have a better record). They still have to face against the blazers and pelicans who have improved and the rest of the western playoff seeds. I'm not crazy to assume that a 4 seed is a huge reach for them

kdspurman
07-23-2013, 07:17 PM
i think your window is closed...spurs have had their shots, but i'm not so sure how much longer the same core can keep making runs. manu looked done. IMO, yall's only shot at the finals is if you can keep duncan to around 20 mpg, keep his mileage low.

i really like yall's bench and depth, and there's no better coach in the game than pop...but i really dont see your team winning a finals, or making it there this year

Heard that way too many times as a Spurs fan. i'll believe it when I see it.

Re: Duncan's minutes, he doesn't need to play that few minutes. He'll play about what he did last year, and continue to be rested for games when Pop sees fit.

envymamba24
07-23-2013, 07:21 PM
Lakers will be a playoff team

dwoyo
07-24-2013, 01:12 PM
My point exact. The only reason I don't have them in the playoffs just yet is because it's dependent on whether or not Wall has a breakout season. Other than that, Washington's a team that can outrebound outrun and shoot better than Boston on paper. They'll have to prove me wrong otherwise next season for me to change my mind

dwoyo
07-24-2013, 01:51 PM
Minnesota at 7 lol

If they don't get hit with the injury bug this time around, what makes you think they don't have potential to break out and steal a 7th seed?

Aust
07-24-2013, 03:50 PM
Hawks will be irrelevant.

mlbfan123
07-24-2013, 04:24 PM
Still dont see Minnesota at 7 and Clippers are too high

B'sCeltsPatsSox
07-24-2013, 04:38 PM
We already have prediction threads for each conference. Closing...