PDA

View Full Version : Valanciunas named summer league MVP

FriedTofuz
07-22-2013, 11:07 PM
Toronto Raptors ‏@Raptors 4m
#Raptors #RTZ RT @nba: Jonas Valanciunas named #NBASummerLeague MVP! Averaged 18.8 PTS (56.1% FG%), 10.0 REBS over 4 games for @Raptors

Primed for a breakout season? I think so!

C Jonas Valanciunas, Raptors: No other player here looked to have the - breakout potential of the - 21-year-old Lithuanian center, who is entering his 2nd season. Valanciunas dominated smaller, weaker competition in the - post, yet he moreover displayed a versatile offensive game complete with a nice passing touch, textbook pump fakes & the - ability to complete with both hands. He ranked in the - top five in scoring (18.8 points) & rebounding (10.0) & played savvy, consistent interior defense. The fifth pick in the - 2011 draft received our unofficial vote for summer-league MVP.

http://www.lasvegasnvblog.com/2013/0...r-league-team/

TheMightyHumph
07-22-2013, 11:13 PM
We Lithuanians will be partying for weeks

Lombardi
07-22-2013, 11:17 PM
Can only hope this isn't the last time this guy brings home some hardware. Gotta say, as a Raps fan it's great to see a lottery pick show this much promise finally.

5ass
07-22-2013, 11:22 PM
Top 5 centers next year could include drummond, jv, and davis

LAKobeBryant
07-22-2013, 11:26 PM
Top 5 centers next year could include drummond, jv, and davis

davis is a pf

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GeptmxZo3-k

RipCity32
07-22-2013, 11:35 PM
I'm assuming this is for the Vegas summer league only and not including the Orlando summer league.

Phenomenonsense
07-22-2013, 11:48 PM
I suggest all Piston's fans stay out of this thread. Val looked very good in summer league and thsi has nothing to do with Drummond.

LegendsNvrDie23
07-22-2013, 11:56 PM
I'm assuming this is for the Vegas summer league only and not including the Orlando summer league.

lol

Tmath
07-22-2013, 11:57 PM
http://i.minus.com/iM67dLBvOzdWJ.gif

RipCity32
07-23-2013, 12:04 AM

:laugh2:

FriedTofuz
07-23-2013, 01:15 AM
No it was MVP for the entire summer league.. to whoever said Drummonds stats were way better, not really. But I'll definitely admit Drummonds Defense rebounding and athleticism is way better than Jonas. But Drummond will always seem limited offensively imo.

LeperMessiah
07-23-2013, 01:28 AM

This just won all JV vs. Drummond

mjt20mik
07-23-2013, 01:28 AM
Good for him. Kid put in work this offseason.

bucketss
07-23-2013, 01:30 AM
what a ****ing bawss

UPRock
07-23-2013, 01:34 AM
Drummond is the better defender and rebounder, but Valenciunas is better at the other things.

LeperMessiah
07-23-2013, 01:36 AM
Drummond is the better defender and rebounder, but Valenciunas is better at the other things.

It's irrelevant what each player has/lacks now, for all we know they both can get starter minutes and **** the bed.

smith&wesson
07-23-2013, 01:39 AM
my Jonas brings all the boards to the yard..

shep33
07-23-2013, 01:49 AM
Hopefully he can have a bigger role in the offense this year. Less Derozan and Rudy, more Jonas please

asandhu23
07-23-2013, 01:57 AM
Why him? Why not someone on the Warriors for winning the whole thing?

Deception
07-23-2013, 02:12 AM

Because he played well. The Warriors received a Summer League Title for winning it all, that doesn't mean someone from the team will be named MVP.

LeperMessiah
07-23-2013, 03:16 AM

Because MVP means the best player.

Jogumesapeh
07-23-2013, 03:22 AM
Love his game.

dalton749
07-23-2013, 08:11 AM
he will be un-guardable in a few years

2-ONE-5
07-23-2013, 09:47 AM
SL MVP is nice and all but at the end of the day is only summer league. I remember being all excited after Salmons won it with the Sixers his 2nd year in the league, he didnt turn out to be much

dalton749
07-23-2013, 04:36 PM
SL MVP is nice and all but at the end of the day is only summer league. I remember being all excited after Salmons won it with the Sixers his 2nd year in the league, he didnt turn out to be much

the difference is that hes a center who was getting it done from the post, while seeing double and triple teams just to get the ball out of his hands which cant be done against a guard or wing player

2-ONE-5
07-23-2013, 04:38 PM
its still summer league and its still filled with mostly d-league level talent

Lakers Ghost
07-24-2013, 05:35 PM

valenciunas is a good rebounder and has a good basketball IQ saw that from last season and summer league. Drummond is a better defender and rebounder but his offense is horrible, if I take valenciunas all day.:cool:

BHF
07-24-2013, 06:16 PM
valenciunas is a good rebounder and has a good basketball IQ saw that from last season and summer league. Drummond is a better defender and rebounder but his offense is horrible, if I take valenciunas all day.:cool:

i don't think there is one gm in the league that wouldn't take Val over him kid is gonna be a beast and one of the best centers in the league in a few years.

http://www.nba.com/raptors/video/2013/07/23/Anon-2548280

GiantsNinersW's
07-24-2013, 06:25 PM
Bazemore.

Legendary33
07-24-2013, 06:42 PM
Is this Val vs. Drummond argument still going on, two completely different centres with no way to compare them after 1 year in the NBA. Stop trying to make this into a lebron vs MJ argument because these guys are both PROJECTS for their teams! Were a couple years away from deciding who is the better player.

gwrighter
07-24-2013, 08:30 PM
its still summer league and its still filled with mostly d-league level talent

It's a good thing that he was dominating them enough to win the MVP then. It would have looked bad if he didn't win it.

FriedTofuz
07-24-2013, 08:31 PM
raptors are taking over

rockbottom2010
07-24-2013, 09:04 PM
only untouchable player for the raptors.....build around JV

greg_ory_2005
07-24-2013, 09:07 PM
Val :drool:

D-Leethal
07-24-2013, 09:07 PM
Dude is skilled as all hell. I am curious to see if these skills translate to wins next season. Skilled offensive C's don't always have the same dominance as raw power bigs who dominate with defense, size and athleticism, yet have less rounded skills.

Necrosis
07-24-2013, 09:24 PM
Dude is skilled as all hell. I am curious to see if these skills translate to wins next season. Skilled offensive C's don't always have the same dominance as raw power bigs who dominate with defense, size and athleticism, yet have less rounded skills.

That's the thing dude, this guy is a banger, tyler hansborough brute. He plays hard, Noah hard if you watch him. He is also bigger then Drummond, for the record. He has a bigger frame legit Footer, and added 15-20 pounds and could add 15 more.

His defense is better then Drummonds man to man, he plays harder, Drummond is a better rim protector and open court defender. Drummond is a freak athelete while being low skill, his potential is amazing if he improves his skill level.

I really like both players to me Val is the safer pick to have a more impactful career while Drey has the potential to be really special. I have never seen a big guy move like him, he can guard in the open court and check gaurds at times.

I think Val has got Noah with offense potential while Drummond could be ewing, robinson good.

D-Leethal
07-24-2013, 09:36 PM
That's the thing dude, this guy is a banger, tyler hansborough brute. He plays hard, Noah hard if you watch him. He is also bigger then Drummond, for the record. He has a bigger frame legit Footer, and added 15-20 pounds and could add 15 more.

His defense is better then Drummonds man to man, he plays harder, Drummond is a better rim protector and open court defender. Drummond is a freak athelete while being low skill, his potential is amazing if he improves his skill level.

I really like both players to me Val is the safer pick to have a more impactful career while Drey has the potential to be really special. I have never seen a big guy move like him, he can guard in the open court and check gaurds at times.

I think Val has got Noah with offense potential while Drummond could be ewing, robinson good.

I gotta watch more of him this year. I picked him up late in a money fantasy league and rode his *** to a championship, so I'm fully aware of the beastly stats he was putting up with ridiculous efficiency from both FG and FT line. Wasn't a slouch on the boards either.

I definitely don't doubt the potential I just look at guys like Brook compared to Dwight and I see the impact of a Dwight being far greater despite lacking in the skill department. I think size/athleticism sometimes can trump skill in the NBA.

That said, I don't doubt this dude has all the goods and not just some of them, I will definitely be watching some more Raps games this year.

Necrosis
07-24-2013, 09:57 PM
I gotta watch more of him this year. I picked him up late in a money fantasy league and rode his *** to a championship, so I'm fully aware of the beastly stats he was putting up with ridiculous efficiency from both FG and FT line. Wasn't a slouch on the boards either.

I definitely don't doubt the potential I just look at guys like Brook compared to Dwight and I see the impact of a Dwight being far greater despite lacking in the skill department. I think size/athleticism sometimes can trump skill in the NBA.

That said, I don't doubt this dude has all the goods and not just some of them, I will definitely be watching some more Raps games this year.

Jonas has Two way potential, More then Drummond, Two way guys are better then one dimensional guys like Dwight. His offense isn't true offense that is skill based, it's his athletic ability garnering points, put backs, oops, rolls, he isn't all that great down low, average at best. Jonas has the ability to be two way great for me due to his offense being good and he has the necessary component of a good rim protector, length , heart and hustle, D isn't skill based per se but effort based, output heavy.

koreancabbage
07-24-2013, 09:59 PM

Other than Dwight, which raw power big has dominated, and who has he dominated????? great highlight real stuff but thats about it.

it has ALWAYS been the more skilled offensive player that has truly dominated. Dirk, Duncan, Bosh to some extent, Gasol, Zach Randolph .

gwrighter
07-24-2013, 10:36 PM

Well Valanciunas isn't a stiff. He's legit 7'0 with a 7'4 wingspan & very good athleticism. He runs the floor extremely well for a big man & has a really good motor with a great first step. He's just not elite athletically, but he does have elite skills for a big man.

RipCity32
07-24-2013, 10:39 PM
You guys are really wearing this Val vs Drummond thing out.At this point lets just let they're play do the talking next season.Then we will see who the better player is.

ghettosean
07-24-2013, 11:14 PM
Jonas is special I knew this from day 1 since we drafted him 2 years ago... He's going to be unstoppable in a few years and I can't wait!

LanceUpperCut
07-24-2013, 11:30 PM
You guys are really wearing this Val vs Drummond thing out.At this point lets just let they're play do the talking next season.Then we will see who the better player is.

Yeah cause you had nothing to do with that right.

RipCity32
07-24-2013, 11:42 PM
Yeah cause you had nothing to do with that right.

I just can't help but post back when I read the BS crap some of your fan base writes.

ghettosean
07-25-2013, 12:01 AM
I just can't help but post back when I read the BS crap some of your fan base writes.

This was a general basketball thread... Jonas has won summer league MVP out of all players and teams involved.... No BS crap dude!

RipCity32
07-25-2013, 12:05 AM
This was a general basketball thread... Jonas has won summer league MVP out of all players and teams involved.... No BS crap dude!

Ugh!!

Raps18-19 Champ
07-25-2013, 12:07 AM
I think he will have a statline similar to Pekovic's statline this year. I hope his defense improves though. His defense disappointed me a bit, though his offense was much more ahead than I thought.

BHF
07-25-2013, 12:17 AM
Jonas has at least 2 more years before he becomes a legit threat he has all the tools to become one of the best centers in the league, he has tons of work ahead of him but he is a hard worker and i don't see a reason why he wont be one of the top centers in the league.

Gators123
07-25-2013, 12:20 AM

I would like to point out, thats not true. He won the Vegas SL MVP. They didn't name an Orlando MVP. They are 2 separate events.

http://www.nba.com/video/channels/nba_tv/2013/07/23/2013-las-vegas-summer-league-mvp.nba/index.html

RipCity32
07-25-2013, 01:03 AM
Cool video about the sophomores in summer league.
http://youtu.be/Av439A6S2ho

Raps18-19 Champ
07-25-2013, 01:05 AM
Drummond and Valanciunas. :drool:

BHF
07-25-2013, 01:11 AM
Drummond and Valanciunas. :drool:

damn you BC :mad:

Val
Drummond
Gay
Derozan
Lowry
:drool:

5ass
07-25-2013, 01:35 AM

Val
Drummond
Gay
Derozan
Lowry

That would've gotten the raptors a championship for sure.

heyman321
07-25-2013, 01:48 AM
That would've gotten the raptors a championship for sure.

yeah d league championship.

5ass
07-25-2013, 01:52 AM
yeah d league championship.
10+ years of Jonas and Drummond? I dont think so.

Raps18-19 Champ
07-25-2013, 02:01 AM

Val
Drummond
Gay
Derozan
Lowry

I have hated the Ross pick since day 1, but I can't really blame BC based on the roster we had. Ross has shown the most promise out of all the SF/SG we were considering at this moment so I am not complaining too bad. But I feel Lamb will pass Ross in the future and Ross will be destined as a Dorrell Wright type player.

FriedTofuz
07-25-2013, 02:47 AM
I would like to point out, thats not true. He won the Vegas SL MVP. They didn't name an Orlando MVP. They are 2 separate events.

http://www.nba.com/video/channels/nba_tv/2013/07/23/2013-las-vegas-summer-league-mvp.nba/index.html

ok, so did andre win the orlando summer league mvp? NOPE HE DIDNT! :laugh2:

gwrighter
07-25-2013, 10:14 AM
10+ years of Jonas and Drummond? I dont think so.

Well we could have probably traded one of Drummond or JV for James Harden. Presti called up BC about a deal centring around JV and BC declined.

Sly Guy
07-25-2013, 10:30 AM
lol, wish I got in this thread before the mods did.....Ah well, good job, but it's just summer league.

Sly Guy
07-25-2013, 10:34 AM
Cool video about the sophomores in summer league.

http://youtu.be/Av439A6S2ho

the fact austin rivers is on that list underlines why these summer league rankings mean absolutely nothing.

MonroeFAN
07-25-2013, 01:09 PM
I don't understand... Raptor fans were talking mad crap about Drummond and now are upset BC didn't draft him?

MonroeFAN
07-25-2013, 01:10 PM
ok, so did andre win the orlando summer league mvp? NOPE HE DIDNT! :laugh2:

Pretty stupid comment, should we post the numbers again?

C_Mund
07-25-2013, 01:29 PM
DROP IT haha

just kidding, but seriously enough

MonroeFAN
07-25-2013, 01:40 PM
I agree.

I'm out. Both players are going to be sweet IMO.

LeperMessiah
07-25-2013, 03:33 PM
I don't understand... Raptor fans were talking mad crap about Drummond and now are upset BC didn't draft him?

They were saying Val is better, hardly "talking crap".

I Rock Shaqs
07-25-2013, 05:29 PM

I swear a few of you Detroit fans( which is the whole fanbase) generalize us "raptor fans" all into the same category, the only thing I've ever heard raptors fans say about Drummond is how big of an idiot BC is for not drafting him and trust me I went complete bananas when they picked Terrence Ross' scrub ***.

BHF
07-25-2013, 10:58 PM

what don't you understand? we are not happy we drafted Ross over Drummond be at the same time we are not stupid to think that Drummond is better than Val.

FriedTofuz
07-26-2013, 03:02 AM
Pretty stupid comment, should we post the numbers again?

numbers dont mean **** if you dont get recognition for it. Drummond could average 30ppg and 20 reb and still not win MVP, are you gonna say he's better than Lebron?